Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-330 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 330 Monday, 2 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert!!!!!! TMBG: My newest TMBG acquisition. TMBG: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... TMBG: 3/4, 6/8, etc... TMBG: Milwaukee Concert.... Re: TMBG: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... TMBG: T-Shirts Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas TMBG: Gotta love the Giants TMBG: Fwd: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... Re: TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert!!!!!! TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y-E-P TMBG: King of Wingo and Maine. TMBG: Problems in Red Bank TMBG: TMBG tape newbie Re: TMBG: TMBG tape newbie Non-TMBG: Slow night, eh? Re: TMBG: that cake in the rain song TMBG: i'm back TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" TMBG: NOOO! Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" TMBG: Sad sad news :(:(:( TMBG: Istanbul author TMBG: key changes? TMBG: On a happier note.... Re: TMBG: key changes? TMBG: stupid people TMBG: non-tmbg stuff TMBG: Mics........ T Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 03:15:02 -0500 From: MajorDomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 02:16:54 -0600 (CST) From: Court Schuett Subject: TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert!!!!!! Wow, that was such a rocking concert! Cub absolutely rocks. I'm going out to buy their CD as soon as I can. Anyway, about the Giants. It was so cool. I was in the front row at the Rave. We're all about 3~4ft. from the front of the stage. I really wanted them to play "I am Not Your Broom" But they didn't :( During their encore, Flans came right down in front of me, and handed me his pick!!!! Then, he held out his guitar, and let me play it! For what seemed to me a really long time. :) It was soooo cool. If anyone has a bottleg of it, I'd love to get it. Unfortuneatley, I don't have anything, but I'd give you my first born....okay? :) :) -Court /* Court Schuett schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I got a ride home with a drunk guy How ungrateful I must have seemed He showed me how to spin my head round and round We'll be sleeping in the flowers Tell my boss I'm fired -They Might Be Giants *******************************************************************************/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 04:20:28 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: TMBG: My newest TMBG acquisition. Well, since I am unable to obtain the SEXXY single due to it not being released here for some reason, I was at least able to placate myself with a cool find in a used record store. I picked up a 12 inch of Istanbul with the LP version on the A side along with James K. Polk and Stormy Pinkness, and the remix of Istanbul on the B side, 45 RPM. I already have the CD EP but I did not hesitate in buying this 12 inch. That's the kind of fan I am. The cover art is almost identical though there are a couple of extra figures added to it that do not appear on the CD cover. It's also cool to be able to study the detail of the cover as it is much larger than the CD cover. Anyway though this is a lame kind of post to make, the past few days have been remarkably sparse in terms of list posts, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I desperately want to hear We've Got A World That Swings. I'll buy the damn EP, if only they would release it here. Nice way to alienate Canada, always a major TMBG market. Oh well. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy where all your answers are questioned ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 23:43:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... whoooooiiieeeee! Hello, hello, it's good to be back it's good to be back. I've had a couple days to cool off since this amazing thing happened to me, and the shock wore off, hence my post not beginning with a bunch of "AAAAAHH"s. It's won't even be in capitals. I got my ticket for the TMBG show on the 29th here in Rochester. :D Advance tickets, 2 days early even. Phew! 28 days and counting. Any of you that have been to any recent TMBG shows, could you tell me which side Linnell sticks to? Is it still the right? I wanna grab a seat so I can see his nosehairs. 8) My mom and sister are going too.. It's okay with me though... I inadvertantly turned my mom onto the Barenaked Ladies, and she didn't embarrass me at all at the BNL concert. Also, I got a S~E~X~X~Y.... sigh... the $3.49 version. :( Interesting case, though... I gave my mom my money so she could get it when she went shopping on thursday, and she got it. The wrong one. But it eased me to know that it was the ONLY TMBG single at the mall. So if I went, I would have gotten it myself. Ach well, it'll tide me over till I can find the other one... My little sister told me she's buy the 3 song one from me when I do. How cute. She's 6. And I can't believe I just called her cute.. ;) I LOVE WGAWTS! It's so cute! I love the "still the taste of wiiiiiiine.." :D I think it's one of my fave TMBG songs now. Oh! Am I the only one who noticed "http:www.tmbg.com" on the back of the single?!?!?! Ooooooh, El-ek-tra made a ty-po, la la-la la la.... ;) ObTMBG..er..MP: Thanksgiving is the only day when you get to hear the name of a Mono Puff song uttered 11 times in one day... ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: 3/4, 6/8, etc... Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 13:04:03 -0600 (CST) Yes, 6/8 can be used as *1* 2 3 4 5 6, but in my experience at least, the majority of 6/8 songs are used in a two-pattern... It's not like two measures of 3/4 stuck together; it's much more like a 2/4, with eighth-note triplets, giving you a nice bouncy effect... I think Grainger enjoyed doing that a lot.... I think I've only played one or two songs where the 6/8 was actually conducted in six... (Okay, so that song _was_ a Grainger song... So sue me.) ;) -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "C'mon... Please... Gimmie the foot..." - Spoken to a PEZ / dog in the movie Brainscan ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*. WOW: Sphygmomanometer http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee Concert.... Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 13:13:07 -0600 (CST) The Milwaukee concert was very cool; I had a really great time... As always, there was the standard contingent of moshers and the like, and I chose to leave the central area when some idiot nearly broke my neck from bodysurfing, but once I got away from all the violence over in the middle, I had a really great time... I got John Flansburgh to smile at me!!! I was the only one jumping up and down like a maniac in my area at the time, and he was leaning over the crowd jamming or whatever (I have no idea what song was on at the time... My brain's toasted because I had to get up at 6:30 this morning after that concert to come back to college), and he saw me jumping like that and smiled at me and nodded his head and it was extraordinarily cool! Linnell looked like he was having a great time, too... Their new guitarist kind of got on my nerves every now and then, but wasn't nearly as intrusive as last time... Fun! Cub: A fun high-energy band... I wasn't overly impressed, and I think I picked out three or four chords out of everything they were doing, but it was fun nevertheless... I enjoyed their part of the concert... The band was sounding pretty tight for most of the night... I was pleasantly surprised to hear Ana Ng so early in the concert, but that was just about all they played from Lincoln, and I don't remember anything played off of the Pink (bigbluedog, self-titled, whatever) album, although they _did_ do the standard Famous Polka later, which I enjoyed... They closed it out with Spy; that was a lot of fun... I was hoping They'd do the Spy/Istanbul transition I had heard so much about, but they must have been tired of that, because they played Istanbul really early in the set.... They opened with Older and then went into a really rocking version of WDTSS... Right after the "atom-smashing machine" part I yelled out "Poor Atoms!" but I doubt anyone heard me. Anyway, that was pretty much everything that's sticking out in my head right now. That was a really great time, and I managed to get myself a World Tour 2040 T-shirt... Whoohoo! Over and out, CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Well, you know... We thought that the death of two SALAMI / sensitive poets would make the news!" - Grog ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*. WOW: Sphygmomanometer http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 14:26:21 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... Re: Web Site Typos hmm... mine says it right... maybe that's only on the 3-song one, and speaking of that... Re: 3-Song S~E~X~X~Y why is it that where I live they've got the 3-song single w/ Sensurround, but some people got one w/ WGAWTS?? And speaking of that... Re: WGAWTS Is this a cover? (Or have John and John changed their names to Lil Mattis and Lois Yule Brown?) Concerts: Hey, I've never been to a concert before... this is for the Dec 3 Columbus show, doors open at 7, what time should I plan on getting there? And speaking of that... Re: Columbus Show Dec3 Anything planned for before the show? Any meeting place planned for listees at the Newport?? thats all, -e- -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot ---> http://spot.home.ml.org The Happy ASCII Squirrel (5,000 ft) ---> . ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 14:30:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: T-Shirts What's on the back of the snowman t-shirt? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 96 14:30 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: New Wave X-mas >as far as I know they only have Unsupervised. And the weird thing is, >BMG Music Service is promoting the hell out of it. For the second month >in a row it's appeared in one of those special boxes in the catalog, >this time with a large picture of Flans playing his guitar while >driving... and it also has the listing for all three TMBG albums they >carry. (no FS yet -I'm guessing it'll show up in a month or two) But >it seems that both TMBG and Mono Puff could get some more business from >this... it's kind of funny, though, when you think about it.... Dammit, I quit BMG too soon! I could've had some neato pics of Flansie to go with the TMBG one I cut out last year. Which was the only time I ever could find and TMBG in there, BTW. :} Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "Pretend I *did* blow up the school. All the schools." -J.D. "Heathers" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Gotta love the Giants Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 15:05:50 -0500 (EST) Several weeks ago I called up the Giants people about some web site issues and we talked for a while. Something I pitched was a Hello Club site. Unfortunately I got confirmation that it was shutting down, so that wouldn't fly. It came out that I had never been a member of Hello (kept meaning to join, but you know how it is). They asked if I wanted some CD's, and I said sure figuring I'd get a few samples they were trying to clear out. Imagine my surprise today when I opened a package from them to find a nearly complete Hello Club set. Best I can tell I'm "missing" two CD's (by the Hello Discography), "Hello the Band", and "The They Might Be Giants 1985 Demo Tape". I'm wondering when I'm going to listen to 35 new CD's. It's rather overwelming. I must say the front office people for the Giants are some of the nicest people I've worked with. I really hope we can get some issues with the web site worked out so the rest of the world can know how wonderful they are. Speaking of the web site I'm working on the details of moving it to my new location. Hopefully it will only be down for about 3 days while I move later this month. Tomorrow when I call them I'm going to try and talk up some new ideas that might lead to quicker updates, too. Hope everyone had a good turkey day. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 15:48:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fwd: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... hmm, wonder why this never got through...? well, I'll just try again.... ~sarah --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: up at dawn, sleepy but yawning... Date: 96-11-30 23:43:58 EST From: KdsInThHal To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org whoooooiiieeeee! Hello, hello, it's good to be back it's good to be back. I've had a couple days to cool off since this amazing thing happened to me, and the shock wore off, hence my post not beginning with a bunch of "AAAAAHH"s. It's won't even be in capitals. I got my ticket for the TMBG show on the 29th here in Rochester. :D Advance tickets, 2 days early even. Phew! 28 days and counting. Any of you that have been to any recent TMBG shows, could you tell me which side Linnell sticks to? Is it still the right? I wanna grab a seat so I can see his nosehairs. 8) My mom and sister are going too.. It's okay with me though... I inadvertantly turned my mom onto the Barenaked Ladies, and she didn't embarrass me at all at the BNL concert. Also, I got a S~E~X~X~Y.... sigh... the $3.49 version. :( Interesting case, though... I gave my mom my money so she could get it when she went shopping on thursday, and she got it. The wrong one. But it eased me to know that it was the ONLY TMBG single at the mall. So if I went, I would have gotten it myself. Ach well, it'll tide me over till I can find the other one... My little sister told me she's buy the 3 song one from me when I do. How cute. She's 6. And I can't believe I just called her cute.. ;) I LOVE WGAWTS! It's so cute! I love the "still the taste of wiiiiiiine.." :D I think it's one of my fave TMBG songs now. Oh! Am I the only one who noticed "http:www.tmbg.com" on the back of the single?!?!?! Ooooooh, El-ek-tra made a ty-po, la la-la la la.... ;) ObTMBG..er..MP: Thanksgiving is the only day when you get to hear the name of a Mono Puff song uttered 11 times in one day... ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 16:10:04 -0500 (EST) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert!!!!!! On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Court Schuett wrote: > During their encore, Flans came right down in front of me, and handed me > his pick!!!! Then, he held out his guitar, and let me play it! For what -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 16:18:00 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y-E-P Okay, either I'm mistaken, or I ripped Blockbuster Music off. I got the five song S-E-X-X-Y-E-P (lots of letters, huh?) for a mere $3.49. I think they put the wrong price on it...do I really care? Anyway, I like the S-E-X-X-Y radio mix a *lot* better than the album mix. It just sounds better. SenSurround is wonderful. Unforgotten is well, okay. What's the deal with the kiddie piano on "I've got a World that Swings?" I like the song tho. The S-E-X-X-Y dance mix is weird, but better than Josh Fried's The World's Address. Dawg out. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "The back wheel's 'O' is now a letter 'D'...I was an 'I' and now I'm a 'V'"--J. S. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 17:38:48 -0500 From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (cyberguy) Subject: TMBG: King of Wingo and Maine. I'm sorry, but for those of you who were interested in King of Wingo and Maine, I'm no longer offering it on my webpage. Just a little tidbit of information for you. Come visit http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html to see cyberguy's webpage. Last updated 12-1-96 Still Under a bit of construction. Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 18:02:43 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Problems in Red Bank Hi all. I called the Count Basie Theater this afternoon and they said that They were NOT playing there on New Years Eve. If anyone has any updates on this, please tell me. Later, Craig ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:48:02 -0500 From: John Davis Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: TMBG tape newbie Hey guys, I'm a big Phish and Dead tape trader and I've noticed a few posts here about live TMBG tape trades. I would love to start trading TMBG shows. Will somebody please trade shows with me for blanks and postage or some shows from other bands that I have? Thanks a lot! john ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG tape newbie Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:07:18 -0500 > I'm a big Phish and Dead tape trader and I've noticed a few posts here > about live TMBG tape trades. I would love to start trading TMBG shows. > Will somebody please trade shows with me for blanks and postage or some > shows from other bands that I have? > Thanks a lot! For the interest of all tape-traders, check out http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/tmbg/trade.html -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Subject: Non-TMBG: Slow night, eh? From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 01:34:16 EST Yeesh. I last checked my mail at 6 pm, I think. It's now 12:26 in the morning (Central time). I just downloaded my mail, and there was NOTHING from the list! Que pasa? Oh, there's no TMBG content in this message, other than the acronym "TMBG" being written twice in the message, and once in the subject. I was just trying to make some list traffic here. Some one stop me, please. I have been watching movies all day. Saw four, in fact. I think you should all go watch them, too. Wizards (nifty animated American-wanna-be-anime movie), Fargo (kick-ass stupid people with guns and chipper/shredders movie), Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie (bitchin' guy-and-robots-watching-crappy-movies-while-stuck-in-space movie), and The Princess Bride (awesome hello-my-name-is-In~ego-Montoya-you-killed-my-father-prepare-to-die movie). Stop me now. I should go to bed now. Maybe yes and then I what perhaps been. No and if cheese though not. Please stop me. Thank you. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 21:15:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: that cake in the rain song The Cake in the rain song is called.. MacAurthur Park,,, The only reason I know that is Weird Al.. (He keeps coming up on this list...) did a Parody called Jurassic Park... Anyway.. the lady is *itching about how she left a cake in the rain and she'll never see the recipie (sp) again... I don't see the connection between this song and ohhh. whatever song that is in that TMBG signs... It doesn't come to mind but I think it is on Misc. T... So there you go.... This is Tim signing off..... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 21:16:55 -0500 (EST) From: "M.C.I." Subject: TMBG: i'm back alright i'm back, and just in time for the cleveland show, so what's going on? is there a designated meeting spot? who'll definitely be there? how do i get there from pennsylvania? anybody who could supply any of this information deserves sainthood as far as i'm concerned. later ***************************************************************************** * * * WARNING! : The combination of alchohol and e-mail can have disastrous * * results. This is not recommended under any circumstances. If you feel * * you must do it. Right down your message on a piece of paper and read * * it the next morning first. Do not, I repeat, Do NOT! send it. It can * * result in embarassment, confusion, or worse. * * * * this has been a public service announcement brought to you by * * -mci@tmbg.org- * ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 02:57:12 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" Obscure Compilation Album Questions (Or, if you like, Weekend O' TMBG!) I was in a used record store yesterday and saw a big catalog of pop artists that told what their commercial releases were and how you could order them. Well, I looked up TMBG, being a proper mindlessly devoted fan, and found along with Flood and whatnot, *Live at the Mountain Stage* and *Carmen Sandiego: Out of This World*. Now, Mountain Stage is something I vaguely remember reading about before, so I'm guessing it must be something along the lines of Live in NYC (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but what is this Carmen Sandiego? Did they contribute one of their songs to a children's album? Later, we were in another store, when lo and behold, Santa's Beard of all things comes on the loundspeakers! The saleslady didn't know what it was but I'm guessing that it's from that Christmas comp that someone mentioned. What was that called and is it worth getting? -Kilroy The nuttiest sound around! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 21:30:07 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" Well, in response to Kilroy's little questions (not being condescending or anything, just filling up space): 1. They Might Be Giants are indeed on one of the Mountain Stage Live compilations (which by the way are very cool--Yo La Tengo, REM, TMBG, they're all on one of them...). I believe they did Particle Man, but I could be wrong... 2. They also are indeed on the Carmen Sandiego thing. Again, I'm not sure of the song, but I'm thinking it's Istanbul (Not Constantinople). 3. Santa's Beard is on the New Wave X-Mas compilation. It might be worth getting, if you're willing to sift through some crap... I'm not sure about the accuracy of the information in here. I have heard all of these compilations, but through my drugged haze (kidding) and the Nutra-Sweet induced memory loss (not kidding), my memory sucks. So take this information with the proverbial grain of salt. See y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "That's a hell of a hat that you're wearing, it goes real well with the earring...five through the nose, bold and daring...you gotta pardon me if I'm staring..." ---Mighty Mighty Bosstones ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 21:28:11 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: NOOO! I almost made it to the concert! I had my dad almost sold, but then the weather report came on and said 6" of SNOW and freezing rain in SE Wisconsin. I would have been bringing a really cool friend who wasn't real familiar w/ tmbg but was interested. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 22:52:07 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" >1. They Might Be Giants are indeed on one of the Mountain Stage Live >compilations (which by the way are very cool--Yo La Tengo, REM, TMBG, >they're all on one of them...). I believe they did Particle Man, but I >could be wrong... Correct. > >2. They also are indeed on the Carmen Sandiego thing. Again, I'm not >sure of the song, but I'm thinking it's Istanbul (Not Constantinople). Nope. Why Does the Sun Shine is the one on this compilation. =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:18:53 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Sad sad news :(:(:( Well hello there list (and digest too, wouldn't want to alienate anyone) I have some very bad news, mainly only bad to me, but also bad for anyone that was looking forward to meeting me for some reason or another. Anyhow, the 3 Ohio shows this week, on Dec. 3, 4, and 5, will not see me in their crowds :( I knew I should have bought my tickets early...but now I have 4 bills due plus rent, and there is absolutely no way I can attend any, let alone all 3 of them! I'm extremely bummed, because I was so looking forward to seeing Them again, as well as meeting a bunch of you!!! But I guess the good part is that I'll now be able to work and make money so I can go to the Granville and Pittsburgh shows. I'm still sad about this week though. So if any of you are lucky enough to make boots of any of these shows, I'd love to trade for them. Hopefully I'll still get to meet everyone sometime :( Oh, and Bill Laird, please PLEASE email me. Amy :( cowtown@tmbg.org I'm a great lover, I'll bet. -- Emo Phillips ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Istanbul author Date: Sun, 1 Dec 96 22:53:25 -0600 From: Danny Jones java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) wrote: >>Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? >The song doesn't mention it (maybe it would if TMBG wrote it, rather than >Neil Simon) That song was NOT written by NEIL Simon. Sorry to be slow in responding but I've been away for the holidays. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 00:07:21 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: key changes? Hmmm... this is weird. Often, when I'm listening to TMBG songs, I'll play along on my keyboard or accordion to see if the chords I've been given are right. (usually they are :) But the really disturbing thing is the sheet music for Birdhouse in Your Soul. It has it being in C. It's in C on the album, and it's been in C in recent concerts. I'm listening to a Flood show (4/28/90) now and it appears to be in D. And I think there were other tapes I had some trouble playing along with because they played it in keys other than C or D. What gives? Most songs they play the same way every time.... the only real exceptions I can find to this are Particle Man and Birdhouse in Your Soul. All the others seem to be consistent... with themselves and with the album versions. Weird. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 01:23:50 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: On a happier note.... Well, even though I had sad news about not being able to go to the concerts, I did get something good today -- one of the square cardboard FS promo posters! My friend Bryan got it at a record store in Columbus, and even though he likes TMBG, he knew I'd appreciate it much more than he would, so he gave it to me! Wowie wow, I have wonderful friends. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last a While ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 00:31:28 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: key changes? > Most > songs they play the same way every time.... the only real exceptions I > can find to this are Particle Man and Birdhouse in Your Soul. All the > others seem to be consistent... with themselves and with the album > versions. Weird. > Maybe, just maybe, John and John get just as sick of those songs played over and over as, say, I do. You have to admit that Particle Man, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Istanbul (though not mentioned by Sr. Solomon) are three of the most over-played TMBG songs. Maybe they just want to put a little variety into them to keep those songs from being, well, annoying to play....who knows? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Oh no your heart is broken / Don't you think that's a little trite?" --Yo La Tengo, "From a Motel 6" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 01:28:48 PST Subject: TMBG: stupid people From: catsee@juno.com (Catie E DeGarmo) God, how the hell can people think THEY suck??? They are the best!!! Since I have found out about They I have basically limited myself to They, Barenaked Ladies, and XTC. O.K. that might seem a little drastic, but all other bands seem...bad, immature, annoying, redundant...to sum it all up-sucky. Catie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 01:06:22 PST Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg stuff From: catsee@juno.com (Catie E DeGarmo) O.K. this message is to all of you who write in apologizing for writing in about non-tmbg stuff-we know you're sorry,let's just stop writing in about non-tmbg stuff. O.K? And if this seems non-tmbg, well than i'm sorry, I'm just trying to make less work for Leo. I mean would we even have this list if not for him? Probably not! Catie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 01:16:55 PST Subject: TMBG: Mics........ T From: catsee@juno.com (Catie E DeGarmo) Who are those people talking between "For Science" & "Hotel Detective" on Mics.. T? And does anyone else find them annoying? My best friend and I think that those people are from Grays Harbor (WA) because the people there are completely idiotic, freakish, hicks (unfortunately I live there-I am not one of them!!!!!!!!!!) who think THEY suck. Anyway, anybody have any idea who those people are? Thanks Catie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-330 ******************************