Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-332 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 332 Wednesday, 4 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Problems in Red Bank TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-331 TMBG: Re: key changes? TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thread!" TMBG: all the people are so happy now their heads are caving in. re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: Re: key changes? Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: Cleveland show (meeting) TMBG: I'm so lucky Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thread!" (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining (Fwd) Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thre TMBG: On JJJ Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: Drum Notes Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: Re: key changes? Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: Pretty much worthless post... TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: forelorn yet happy. Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: Mainstream TMBG: wasted TMBG: Font sizes and other babblings TMBG: stating my presence at the Cincy show Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Non-TMBG: Re: Rap TMBG: Re: wacky Elektra TMBG: Re: Mainstreamlining TMBG: clarification about my last posting TMBG: Revolver TMBG: Rapopular Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: Columbus Show (Re:) TMBG: For people trading with me Re: TMBG: Bunch of crap Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: st. louis concert!!! Re: TMBG: wasted Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... (not life-threatening important, TMBG: Re: Viscous Circles... Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. FW: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: THEN: THE EARLY YEARS TMBG: Your mama Re: TMBG: Your mama FW: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining (fwd) Re: TMBG: Your mama (fwd) TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Aneyurism!" Re: TMBG: Columbus Show (Re:) Re: TMBG: Chicago and Milwaukee fun TMBG: Random thoughts TMBG: My Mama?!? + Beck Re: TMBG: I'm so lucky Non-TMBG: Man...or Astroman? (was wacky elektra) Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! TMBG: Asheville, NC re: NON-TMBG: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... TMBG: Rochester show TMBG: Moxy ect. RE: TMBG: Misc T cover.... TMBG: Definite news on TMBG's NYEve show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 03:02:36 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Re: Problems in Red Bank This is a repost for those who missed it. On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Pudge wrote: > Hi all. > > I called the Count Basie Theater this afternoon and they said that They > were NOT playing there on New Years Eve. If anyone has any updates on > this, please tell me. The phone number for the theater is (908) 842-9000. The box office is open Monday thru Friday from 9am to 5pm. > Later, > Craig > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-331 Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 02:27:21 -0600 From: Danny Jones Not so long ago, Royce M. Lee brought forth these words: >Danny Jones wrote in article ><199612020451.UAA23119@cyprus.it.earthlink.net>... >> >> That song was NOT written by NEIL Simon. > >Very good Danny, but who did write it. > >-- >Royce M. Lee >parvenu@ozemail.com.au Nat Simon. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: key changes? From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 07:29:03 EST >Hmmm... this is weird. Often, when I'm listening to TMBG songs, I'll >play along on my keyboard or accordion... Where did you get your accordion, and how much did you pay? I'm a pianist myself, and I want to start with accordion. >is the sheet music for Birdhouse in Your Soul. What sheet music? Where did you get this? Can I have some? Can everyone on the list who's musically talented (or thinks they are) have some? Or is this just printed from the MIDI files? Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:14:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thread!" >Maaan, rap is great! What kind of music TMBG would be, if >Johns were black...? Now now, just because you like it, doesn't mean we ALL do... ;) _My submission_ "Hey yo, what up, J?" "Hey otur J, lissen up ma homey, I wuz been thinkin that Wah-Wah autta have his own tune, it'd be da bomb." "How so, J?" "Like, it'd be a slammin 72 minute long feedback solo. Only lots worse." "Hmm.... I dunno man..I'll talk it ovah wit' my posse." "Okay, dat be coo'. Anyways, I gotsta go finish ups dis phat song I wuz workin on.. wanna hear it so far?" "Sho." "I met dis chick at the doggy-dog show. She wuz hangin' offa mah arm! Every body was a actin all 'whatevea', so I try to look homey-coo'. We bof say 'you funky ass!" I stole homey-G's wheels, we jammed up 'n' down the sidewalk a bunch o' fuckin' times..." "Yo, dat's phat man, a real improvement." "Tanks, man. Aw, hea com'es oua Jamacian friend, Bri' Doh'rty!" "Haylo mista J and J! I've beeeen working on some very funky jams on da druuums, iffa you'd lakea to heaa them!" ------um, an awkward ending, but I'm running out of slang...Oh my god I can't belive I came up with that stuff.... but does anyone care to finish? Ooh, this could be a new thread! ;) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:14:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: all the people are so happy now their heads are caving in. >ObTMBG..er..MP: Thanksgiving is the only day when you get to >hear the name of >a Mono Puff song uttered 11 times in one day... > >'Devil Went Down to Newport'? Nope. 'Nixon's the One'? Nyet. >'So Long, Mockingbird'? Uhh.. not in my family. >Ah, shoot. I give up. Mebbe if I actually got the cd... hee hee.. No! :) "Tryptophane"! >So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still >be cool if they were mainstream? Or is that question >unanswerable? Unanswerable! ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Carrying your ashes from bar to bar / I'm in a mess and you're in a mason jar." - the Odds ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:26:07 GMT From: "Fan from Oz...." Subject: re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. You said.... >So what do you guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? I think it is very possible for TMBGs to be considered mainstream in todays musical world. With the diversity of music out there in the world, who can really say what is considered mainstream..... To best answer this question we must first really define what mainstream music is.....Anyone got any ideas... "Let me tell you about the illusion of freewill" Sheriff Buck.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:43:12 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Fan from Oz.... wrote: ** To best answer this question we must first really define what mainstream ** music is.....Anyone got any ideas... Uh-oh... not this again... ** "Let me tell you about the illusion of freewill" Uh-oh... predestined free will was another fun topic, on a certain other mailing list I was on... Ok. My take on this argument is that TMBG are a) not in the public eye at all, and b) not publicly acceptable ('those guys suck'). Therefore, no, they're not mainstream, even if one of their records sold alot of copies. Flood is mainstream, They are not. This does not mean Flood was written in a certain style, only that it became popular. Unrelatedly, I had some friends over, and they were looking at my mom's yearbook or something. S-E-X-X-Y was playing, and one friend really liked it, the other one didn't notice too much. Then, when it was over and TMHFO came on, the one that liked S-E-X-X-Y goes 'uhhhhh...' and the other friend goes 'What the hell??? Get this off! This is some of that 'They Might Be Giants' crap, isn't it???' Seeing that the single should be the one with the biggest mass-audience appeal, tell me again what the single should have been? Almost every non-fan I've talked to thinks SEXXY is cool. No one likes the other songs. Let's think about this. Radio audiences are stupid, yes? Which song on this album would Beavis and Butthead like? SEXXY ('Uh huh huh, cool, I think this is about getting it on, Beavis.') is the one. Nothing else would get airplay (although I'd _love_ to be proven wrong!) RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:03:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: key changes? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Dec-96 TMBG: Re: key changes? by Tim B Lloyd@juno.com > Where did you get your accordion, and how much did you pay? I'm a > pianist myself, and I want to start with accordion. Accordions are expensive, like all musical instruments. New ones run $3k-$10k, and used ones run anywhere from $200-$2500... > What sheet music? Where did you get this? Can I have some? Can > everyone on the list who's musically talented (or thinks they are) have > some? Or is this just printed from the MIDI files? This is actual sheet music that was printed in the UK in 1990 when Birdhouse charted over there. A friend of mine had it and I photocopied it because I couldn't find it anywhere. I don't think it's printed anymore. I suppose I could sequence just the piano music and print that out... if I had a program that did such a thing. ------------------------------ From: TheMoog! Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:23:13 -0500 (EST) On Tue, 03 Dec 1996 00:55:19 -0500 Kevin McGuire wrote: >I had this discussion with a friend of mine: >(imagine the tinny noise of the musical band "Garbage" playing in the >background) > ME: I hates the popular music. > HIM: So is the ONLY band you like They Might Be Giants? > ME: Pretty much. > HIM: What if they were popular? would you still like them? > ME: Thats not possible, in order for TMBG to become popular, everyone >else would have to be really wierd, like me. I can't answer your >question. > HIM: Just- would you like them if they were popular? > ME: I told you, I can't answer that. In order for THEM to be >popular, everyone would have to be wierd, like me. That would never >happen. So I cannot answer that question. > >So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? Hmmm, Good question! I think the problem is that for TMBG to become popular would either require a) TMBG to change their style into that of a mainstream band, or B) as you said, for everyone to become really weird. I think that they would still be cool even if They did become popular provided they didn't change just to do it, if you can see what I mean. It would be kinda cool to see what TMBG would do with a stadium to play in, or a number 1 single or something. It's a big thing for me, cos I'm really into this whole indie thing and there's a real internal clash of interests. You want your band to remain yours, and to remain small and secret, but at the same time you want everyone in the world to know just how great that band are. It's really odd. But yes, TMBG would still be cool, basically. The Mog xx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x I apoligise in advance for the pointlessness of my statements x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:24:29 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show (meeting) Well, I was thinking of where we could meet. How many people are actually going? I know of about 5, I think. If there are really only 5, we could meet at my house either before or after (if you really want). Otherwise, I say we try to meet at the right side of the stage, up front. There are seats, and then there's a little pit area, which isn't usually too crowded. Oh, as far as I know, t-shirts are sold in the little room to the left, as you come in, next to the snack bar (as far as I remember from 2 years ago). I think there might be a little place next to the stage (on the right side) where you can sit and be highly visible. I'll be sitting there, right up front, if I can, and I think we should all try to meet there (unless anyone has a better idea). I'll be wearing my TMBG 'tour hats' tshirt, which no one seems to recognize, even though it's in the newsletter and on the website. Whatever's best for everyone, I'd be happy to organize. My friend has access to a minidisc recorder, so I think I can boot this, but I don't know if he'll want to bring it. Oh (I'm tired...), there's no opening band listed on the ticket. I liked last time, when Frank Black was there with all his guitars. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 10:03:02 -0500 From: Dwayne Stange Subject: TMBG: I'm so lucky I've noticed a lot of you having trouble persuading your friends to lsiten to TMBG... and thought I'd make you all jealous. In my High school in Saline, Michigan, a town of 6,000, there was a TMBG shirt in school almost every day. I had a circle of friends which encompassed roughly 20 die-hard TMBG fanatics, and everyone else enjoyed listening to them when we were playing them. TMBG was played at nearly every party I went to throughout high school. Unless they LIVED in the industrial wing, everyone had heard of them. Additionally, at least half of the girls I've dated have been diehards. That's like 10 people. I can't imagine living in a place where people thought They sucked. Here in the liberal college town of Ann Arbor, I can wear a TMBG shirt downtown in the summer and have another fan come up and talk to me about it. I'm a music minor, and in many of my music classes I've found other Theyheads who've analyzed the musical aspect in insufferable detail. (BTW, I have sheet music for "Dead" written in 3/4 by a professor, but we won't argue that string.) YOu are not alone. and if you feel that way, move to Ann Arbor. > HIM: Just- would you like them if they were popular? > ME: I told you, I can't answer that. In order for THEM to be > popular, everyone would have to be wierd, like me. That would never > happen. So I cannot answer that question. > > So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if > they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? I think your answer is accurate, except for the the "that would never happen" part. Affirmative action will call for equal employment for TMBG addicts like us, finding them to be a minority in most parts of the country. Then, to get an edge in the job market, many people will be forced to beceome Giants freaks. Cancer Man's behind it all, I tell you. Dwayne "Don't make me kill you again, because I couldn't bear to kill you... Again...." TMBG check out a site dedicated to my band! http://www.provide.net/~pukwudji/6fl_1.htm ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 10:29:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thread!" ~sarah/linnellgirl/KdsInThHal@aol.com finished her post with a question: > ------um, an awkward ending, but I'm running out of slang...Oh my god I can't > belive I came up with that stuff.... but does anyone care to finish? Ooh, > this could be a new thread! ;) I hope not! Re rap music: What about the Beastie Boys? They did more to bring rap to the white masses than anyone since Debbie Harry (and if you have to ask, don't bother) Det. fightforyourrighttoparty Dave ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:48:17 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Forwarded message: From: Self To: 97starya@james.hawken.edu Subject: re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Reply-to: jab@pp.atlasnet.fi Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:13:22 >Flood is > mainstream, They are not. Does music become mainstream, if it sells a lot? Then, is Revolver by Beatles mainstream? > This does not mean Flood was written in a certain > style, only that it became popular. How is it possible that only one of the records of TMBG could be mainstream, if all of them are written in the same style? Either all of them are mainstream, or none of them. Music can also be mainstream, even though it isn't popular. There are good mainstream and bad mainstream.... Argh... Really, I don't care a shit... So, why I'm continuing this?? >S-E-X-X-Y was playing, and one friend really liked it, the other > one didn't notice too much. Then, when it was over and TMHFO came on, the one > that liked S-E-X-X-Y goes 'uhhhhh...' and the other friend goes 'What the > hell??? Get this off! Yeah, there it is: "Eleanor Rigby" is mainstream, but "Tomorrow never knows".... ? Eleanor is a great song anyway. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:48:31 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thre Forwarded message: From: Self To: KdsInThHal@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "new thread!" Reply-to: jab@pp.atlasnet.fi Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:46:14 > "Tanks, man. Aw, hea com'es oua Jamacian friend, Bri' Doh'rty!" > "Haylo mista J and J! I've beeeen working on some very funky jams on da > druuums, iffa you'd lakea to heaa them!" "Yo! Hit it, man!" (BUM-BUDU-TSCHACK--BUM-BU-BUM-TSCHACK, BUM-BUDU-TSCHACK- BUM-BU-BUM-TSCHACK-DA-KA...) Immediately Flansburgh "Mr. F" starts rapping: "You got to get a job --" John "Lame-L": "Goddagedsome _pay_!" Mr F: "Your son's goddagedto --" Lame-L: "goddageddo art school!" Both: "He's leaving in three _days_!" ... continuing to the end of the song... Mr F: "Alienation is---" Both: "for the _rich_!" (drumline breaks.) Mr F: "And _we_, brothers, are feeling poorer evvrah _day_, yo!" Linnell: "Maaaan, that wuz preeetty, maaan, ..." Flansbourgh and Linnell give five to each others. Flansbourgh: "--- grooovy!" Bri' Doh'rty: "Wodabout mixing some country and western samples in there? It was tapin' all the time..." Flansbourgh: "Cool!" <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:45:29 GMT From: "Fan from Oz...." Subject: TMBG: On JJJ Sitting here on another of my late night web crawls I happened to have JJJ on my radio...And lo and behold the dj is talking to an American Dj...the conversation went like this... Oz Dj: Look talk to the people out in Australia while I grab this great new TMBG song for you... Yank Dj: Ok....blah...blah..blah... Oz Dj: Here have a listen to this..it is called S-E-X-X-Y...I love it..(music starts) Yank Dj: Hey this is great...I must play it myself... Oz Dj: Yer...best song on the album... I just thought I would let you know.... "let me tell you about the illusion of freewill" Sheriff Buck ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:30:26 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Jarmo Lundgren wrote: > >Flood is > > mainstream, They are not. > > How is it possible that only one of the records of TMBG could be > mainstream, if all of them are written in the same style? Either all > of them are mainstream, or none of them. I guess the real question hear is really what is mainstream? Is it a style or the fact that everybody likes it? What the fella that Jarmo quoted was saying was that mainstreamality was determined by mass appeal, of wich only Flood had. Jarmo himself says that it is a style of music that makes it popular to the masses. I really think that being mainstream in the strictest(sp?) sense is simply mass popularity. However, the mainstreamality that we have all come to know and fear is the STYLE of what current bands music is made, with the sole goal of being popular. In other words, most bands all create music in the same style because they know it will sell. This style is one that most of us on the list are really sick of. But there is a difference between being stylistically mainstream, and simply mainstream. My answer to the whole "will the Giants ever be mainstream?" thingy is no, they've already done that style :) But going back to the quote it says "...if all of them are written in the same style?..." Uhhh, I don't think all of the TMBG albums ARE written in the same style. That is the GREATEST thing about TMBG, they very rarely repeat styles. SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:24:35 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Drum Notes On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Zak Winnick wrote: > Hey All! > > I am kinda new to the list, but I have been a long time lurker. I was > just wondering if anybody had the drum notes to a few songs? Or the names > of some people or places that do have them? Any info would be great! > > Zak Winnick > The Webmaster Group > http://desperado.scvnet.com/~producer/ > producer@scvnet.com > I don't have any but I used to think about transcribing some of the songs. I might, someday. It's kind of wierd to do cause I usually just learn stuff by ear, but if I get around to it I'll let everybody know. I think I may have written out the drums to Ana Ng one time, I'll look around for it if anyone's interested. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Naked!" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:56:39 -0500 (EST) Carmen Sandiego I believe had one of their songs from an album. I can't remember which. I remember XTC being on this too, Cherry in your Tree or some such song -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:12:20 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:23:13 -0500 (EST) TheMoog! wrote: > From: TheMoog! > Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:23:13 -0500 (EST) > Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > >So what do yo guys think? Would They Might > Be Giants still be cool if > >they were mainstream? Or is that question > unanswerable? I think Giants would still be giants if they were mainstream and to only like them because they're not is very much like 'deciding' you're vegtarian/gay/environmentally aware just because it's trendy. Also, if tmbg were to suddenly become dead popular, would their music change at all to keep up with change in the mainstream musical tastes as it were. If so, then this is a very good reason for them to stay right where they are because I like tmbg because they're very very clever. If Tmbg were as popular as say, oasis or Pink floyd then not only would tickets be more difficult to get hold of, but no doubt we'd get some complete wankers on the list who think they know it all. As it is, everyone seems very nice and I think we can relax in the smug exlclusivity of knowing about tmbg. And even if they did take over the world, we could really annoy everyone by saying 'well, we liked them first' >Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:20:21 -0500 (EST) > >Flood is > > mainstream, They are not. > > Does music become mainstream, if it sells a lot? Then, is Revolver by > Beatles mainstream? > > > This does not mean Flood was written in a certain > > style, only that it became popular. > > How is it possible that only one of the records of TMBG could be > mainstream, if all of them are written in the same style? Either all > of them are mainstream, or none of them. I'm not sure I agree with this. I mean, look at a Hate Your Friends Lemonheads song and then look at the newer songs, completely different. So 1 album can become very popular and then the following albums can be popular as the band becomes more mainstream and then eventually the older albums might become popular if the "band craze" is there. Or, in the case of Flood, where it went Gold and then the following albums did not go Gold (to my knowledge) there occured a popularity up-swing(is a word six feet down). So, the style of Flood was such that it could be played on Dr. Demento, Tiny Toons, or whatever to get it it's popularity. Now, that they have released many albums and have spread their word farther and wider they are finally getting more and more recognition and possibly a bit closer to the outer limits of the boundary around the satelite of the planet, next to the Sun (is a mass of incandescent gas) know as the mainstream. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:49:50 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: key changes? > >Hmmm... this is weird. Often, when I'm listening to TMBG songs, I'll > >play along on my keyboard or accordion... > Where did you get your accordion, and how much did you pay? I'm a > pianist myself, and I want to start with accordion. > Well, I don't know about him, but I got my accordian at a Salvation Army Thrift Store. Call it an impulse item....but the tag said $80, and I bought it for $60. Got a cool courduroy suit there, too...so there you go. An the accordian works merely okay... Bill TAtalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I see you sleep with him And yeah I guess that's cool I'll just sit at the foot of the bed And now you watch me stew...." --Bob Mould ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 13:30 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... >Yup, with the baseboard and all, it looks like the words are on the >floor. Groovy cover, eh? I love this cover. It took me about two weeks to figure out that they were stuck to what I thought was the ceiling, but now turns out to be the floor. Nifty... Does anyone know where this was photographed? Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:15:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. In a message dated 96-12-03 01:00:31 EST, kmcguire@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kevin McGuire) writes: > HIM: What if they were popular? would you still like them? > ME: Thats not possible, in order for TMBG to become popular, everyone > else would have to be really wierd, like me. I can't answer your > question. > HIM: Just- would you like them if they were popular? > ME: I told you, I can't answer that. In order for THEM to be > popular, everyone would have to be wierd, like me. That would never > happen. So I cannot answer that question. > > So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if > they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? Consider that any question is answerable. You could have said "yes", "no", "maybe" or a number of responses based on your feelings such as "I can't answer your question". ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:21:45 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Jarmo Lundgren wrote: ** Does music become mainstream, if it sells a lot? Then, is Revolver by ** Beatles mainstream? Um... What else would the definition of it be??? It is mainstream if it is a shared experience by the media-worshipping portion of the population. Do most 'average' people know of Revolver? I don't know. If they do, we are forced, by definition, to call it mainstream. I would guess most of the Beatles' stuff is pretty visible, pretty culturally acceptable, but I'm not sure. I have never (to my knowledge) heard the song, but, then again, I'm not statistically average, either. The only gray area here is 'large'. What do we want to define large as? I don't know. I only know mainstream means that it is something that most people do or did, and that was in the public eye. Everyone went to see Independence Day, and it also got alot of media attention, so it was mainstream. To the best of my knowledge, many people know about the Beatles, and they had their own ABC special, so they are mainstream, but I don't know about Revolver. Free As A Bird, yes. ** How is it possible that only one of the records of TMBG could be ** mainstream, if all of them are written in the same style? Either all ** of them are mainstream, or none of them. ** Music can also be mainstream, even though it isn't popular. Nope, you have defined mainstream incorrectly. Mainstream (see above) is determined by media coverage and number of people. If it's a 'household word' it's mainstream. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a style. We've been led to think that by all of the alternative/mainstream debates, but it simply is not true. Mainstream today is what is currently popular. If polka was currently popular (culturally acceptable, media-friendly, etc), it would be mainstream. If someone made a song imitating polka, they would be making a song in the style of the mainstream _at the time_, but mainstream is not a category in and of itself. It is definable only chronologically. Mainstream for the 1930s is not the same as mainstream for the 1990s. ** Yeah, there it is: "Eleanor Rigby" is mainstream, but "Tomorrow never ** knows".... ? ** Eleanor is a great song anyway. I'm not sure what your point was there... I don't know what you're referring to. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 14:31 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. It would be kinda cool to see what TMBG >would do with a stadium to play in, or a >number 1 single or something. I was thinking about this when I saw Them open for Hootie. I stuck around for most of Hootie's set, and as I watched the sea of heads and waving arms, and heard the voices yelling "HOOTIE!" I was suddenly struck by a vision. They Might Be Giants playing to a full stadium. They step out on stage, and are greeted by the roar of thousands of fans, all screaming their hearts out for their favorite band... *sigh* And you know it would be spectacular, because truthfully, very few of the Hootie fans I saw were half as excited to see Hootie as me and my small group of Giant-heads were to see TMBG. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Pretty much worthless post... Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:46:41 -0600 (CST) > more difficult to get hold of, but no doubt we'd get some complete wankers > on the list who think they know it all. So you're saying that we _don't_ now? *poke poke poke* ... All in good fun, don't bother flaming me; I'll ignore it and I wasn't serious in the first place... OAT: Did anyone at the Milwaukee show have any recollection of TMBG playing Don't Let's Start? I have no recollection of it being played (but my brain was pretty fried at the time...)... Just thinking it would be odd to have a DLSless concert... ;) -CJ (seriously, I was kidding...) May the force be with you. Justification: / "A man who uses an accordion for evil could be capable of PEZ / anything." - Ranger Doug ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*. WOW: Sphygmomanometer http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:43:35 -0500 (EST) > ME: I hates the popular music. > HIM: So is the ONLY band you like They Might Be Giants? > ME: Pretty much. That's pretty exclusive listening tastes. Aren't there *any* other bands that you like? That must be a difficult task. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 13:43:45 -0800 From: Pez Subject: TMBG: forelorn yet happy. Well I picked up my tickets for the show in Nashville on saturday - but I am having another slight problem.... On the Sonicnet chat Flans said that they would be doing an instore. I cant find out about it anywhere! Does anyone have any earthly or other-worldly ideas about where they are playing? Hep me! pez ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:55:29 -0500 Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining In a message dated 96-12-03 14:24:45 EST, 97starya@james.hawken.edu (Ryan Staib) writes: > ** Does music become mainstream, if it sells a lot? Then, is Revolver by > ** Beatles mainstream? > Um... What else would the definition of it be??? It is mainstream if it is a > shared experience by the media-worshipping portion of the population. I think an easy way to look at this is to ask the question: "Is it IN the mainstream?" Are the Beatles mainstream? Yes; they are recognized by the general public so they must be in the mainstream. Is Revolver mainstream? No; even as a disc jockey myself, I can't say that I recognize the name of that song. How can one song from TMBG be mainstream? Are TMBG mainstream? If it is a song (or title) that is recognized by the general public, yes. As for our favorite Giants...perhaps not yet. I use my mom as a barometer. Has she heard of them? No. Perhaps I haven't shared enough with her yet!!!! Joseph ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:12:07 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Mainstream This speak of mainstream got me thinking. At the Rock And Roll Hall OF Fame Museum in Cleveland (where I went last summer...) there was this big Wall display, with writing on it by Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) about why he wrote The Wall, and how it's about isolation and such, but it also said he was sickened by how popular they had gotten (or something along those lines...) and he wrote it partly to show how being popular had isolated them from their fans and stuff. It was really interesting. I think that applies to this thread somewhat. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: wasted Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:09:12 -0500 (EST) Does anyone know what album the song Wasted is on by our bass friend Tony Maimone's band Pere Ubu? Is Tony still with P.U.? (hehe) Thanks, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:16:11 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Font sizes and other babblings >I was just sittin around one day, just listening to one of THEIR cd's >(Apollo 18, I think) and I happened to glance at my >anally-arranged-in-release-order stack of TMBG cd's. I noticed >something rather "odd" on the side of the cd case. The more current a >release a CD is, the larger and larger the words "They Might Be Giants" >and "[Album Name Here]" get. Uhh... looking over at my own anally-arranged-in-release-order (nice to know I'm not the only one!) collection of CD's, I don't really notice the same thing. The "They Might Be Giants" is indeed weensy on the side of TPA, but it's enormous on Lincoln. In fact, it's bigger on Lincoln than on Flood, A18, or JH. Or did you mean the writing on the *front* cover of the cd's? Hmm.. lessee... Jeepers, I dunno. Looks like the writing on TPA is bigger than that on most of the other albums. >> That song was NOT written by NEIL Simon. >Very good Danny, but who did write it. The Four Lads, presumably. Let's have a look at the liner notes, eh? *nicole goes over to her cd rack (which she designed and constructed herself) and pulls out Flood* Ah, here we go. It's credited to N. Simon and J. Kennedy. Since it's safe to assume that we're not talking about Neil Simon and JFK, we must look for others. >maybe I'll just start yelling "anyone here on the list?" like someone else did. Be prepared for a host of funny looks as the people around you try to figure out a)if you're unhinged, and b)what the hell you're talking about. :) >So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? Oh, cripes, not this thread again. --nicole the wonder nerd who's wondering what an 'apachie' is. Do you mean "machete", Leo? Or is this something else entirely? *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been." --Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: stating my presence at the Cincy show Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:16:26 -0500 I am VERY new to this list, 2 days in fact, but I'm going to be at the Cincinnati show this Thursday. This will be the 1st time I have ever gone to a THEY concert, even though I've been a fan since about 4-5 years ago. I don't have any THEY merchandise, so I'm not going to be very recognizable. I will be looking for anyone on this list who will be there, however. Take note, though, that I am a male. Don't let my 1st name fool you: my grandparents were Irish. The concert is slated to begin at 8 and the doors open at 7, so I was planning on arriving at 6. ***If anyone who has previously attended a THEY concert and thinks that 6 is way too early, feel free to e-mail me and say when most people arrive.*** Which leads me to another thing: I have no idea what to expect. This may sound dorky, but its true. Let's just say I have friends who listen to Phish and go to their concerts just to smoke the pot and other "fun" stuff there. So while I am slighty aprehensive, I am still looking forward to a GREAT show! Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:44:07 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. At 12:55 AM 12/3/96 -0500, Kevin McGuire wrote: >So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? if They might Be Giants were popular, I would like them, but not because they were popular. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:37:17 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Re: Rap after thinking some about it, ANYONE can write a rap song. (I'm considering getting a tape of an Auction, and setting it to a loud beat :) -- evan chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: 03 Dec 1996 15:35:00 +0100 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG: Re: wacky Elektra Organization: puppet head On 03.12.96, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > >I love what Elektra puts on their CDs (as shown on the SEXXY single): > >Elektra Entertainment Group, a Division of Warner Communications, Inc > >for the United States and WEA for *the world outside of the United > >States*. > Indeed you are correct!! There's the world that Warner releases Factory > Showroom, and then there's the world outside where WEA doesn't. I noticed on a "Man or Astroman" CD it stated "blah blah blag (C) 1996 blah blah blah". _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@tmbg.org rodrparr@dds.nl amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://huizen.dds.nl/~rodrparr ------------------------------ From: "David K. Lapides" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:37:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Mainstreamlining Joseph the "DJ" answered this question: > Is Revolver mainstream? No; even as a disc jockey myself, I can't say that I > recognize the name of that song. Maybe because Revolver is the name of an album. =P Seriously, this talk about mainstream is silly. A band (or evenb a song) becomes mainstream when it becomes popular with a diverse audience. When you look at TMBGs audience, you can quickly tell that THEY are not mainstream in any way by virtue of the fact that we are all very similar. Many of the things *you* all like, XTC, Kids in the Hall, Ben Folds Five, Bare Naked Ladies, etc. are out of the mainstream. In contrast take a look at Hootie's audience. They don't (as a whole) share similar interests. I actually like their music qua music, but their image turns me off. And look at the Macarena, a perfectly good song with solid hooks and a great melody has been overplayed and become vilified by people like us who shy away from the mainstream. How could THEY become more mainstream? It would take a *lot* of promotion by Elektra (don't hold your breath) or a massive shift in the average music listeners taste before THEY become mainstream. Or They could change their musical style to become more accesible. I think that that is what we really fear. I for one would love it if THEY became as popular as, let's say, the Beatles, but not at the expense of their current musical style. One of the things that *I* especially like about TMBGs music is that it is challenging. They use many musical styles, have very witty lyrics and don't lend themselves to casual listening. If someone is able to "get" them, then they usually become a fan. Most people aren't willing to work hard enough. That's enough out of me. As you were. Det. Dave ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: clarification about my last posting Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:33:20 -0500 Okay, after sending my last message, I realised I may have said something that may have pissed some people off. So let me restate my closing remarks. I do NOT have a problem with people who smoke pot or do any other drug. My point was that I want to go to a concert to enjoy the band on stage, not the psychadelic(sp?) images in my "doped up" mind. If I wanted to spend an evening with people who are "wasted", I'd stay on my college campus in the dorms. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Revolver Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:44:20 -0500 (EST) Revolver is an album, not a song, which I believe had that song Taxman on it. I can't remember what else off the top of my head, but I don't think I'd call this the most mainstream of Beatles albums. I would think more of Abbey Road or something. But maybe that's just my perspective. Maybe the White album too. I do agree that Flood was somewhat mainstream but TMBG isn't. If you ask the average music listener you'll most likely get a response that they have heard Flood over any other album, if at all. The media has a lot to do with it, what they play will determine mainstream-ness. Free as a Bird can be kinda mainstream as that Anthology was pushed so much, I've only heard some of the first anthology. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:50:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Rapopular Just answering a few things here. One of them is They related Rap: Someone said that Beck isn't Rap. Well rap can be musical, as it is in his case. While he does have songs like Devil's Haircut and Asshole, he also has things thjat are basically a chant set to music, which is what rap is. Where it's at is a great example. He isn't really singing, he's talking. Same with loser. His newer album does have a lot less rap, but Mellow Gold was primeilly a rap album Popualrity: This question is quite easy to answer. Yes, if they stayed the same and became popular I would still like the,. The bit about everyone else becoming "weird" strikes me as sort of odd. I do not consider myself "weird" and all the people at my school who like them are not considered "weird" Would a person being "weird" really determine if they could like them??? Rob, who figures that while we being back old threads, let revive tray, buttknob, desert island and sad songs. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:10:37 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. > So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if > they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? I don't think it would affect the quality of their music that much if They suddenly, through some magical God or miracle became hot MTV and radio fodder. however, if their popularity came by writing an album which was an even more out-and-out attempt to go mainstream than releasing SEXXY as a single was, and they became popular by virtue of writing songs that sound like any other band that's popular then that would be what is considered "selling out". As long as their music continued to be good, I would continue to listen to them. This brings a story to mind. In sixth grade, three years ago, I wore an REM shirt to school. This was when REM was considered a "wimp" band. I was made fun of, needless to say if you remember middle school. The next year, Monster was released. This album contains a hard-rock sound, angry lyrics, and, in short, an attempt to make REM into an "alternative" band like all the other "alternative" bands. Suddenly, my REM shirt became "cool" and I saw many other kids wearing REM shirts and being "cool". Luckily, this album is pretty good, so I remained an REM fan, and they remain popular. If the next TMBG album released was called, "Angst Music" and contained Linnell mumbling into a microphone and trying to sound like that guy from bush(now there's a scary thought) over numb guitars and then Flansburgh screaming like a member of Rage Against the Machine, and TMBG became the next Oasis/Alanis Morisette/Green Day/Rage Against the machine/Everclear/NIN/Bush/the list is endless I would see if the music was good. If it was, I'd buy it. If not, I wouldn't. That simple. Gee, this is a long post. I wonder if anyone is still reading it. Oh well. -- "I have to teach the world to sing by the age of 21"-REM Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:42:33 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Columbus Show (Re:) >I think I lost count somewhere along the way. Here's my list of who will >be at the Columbus show tomorrow: >Dan "John Henry" >StatuE (Wayde) >Brian Evans >Matthew Coon (m@t) >Ben (or Been) Hauck >"Green Jello" (?) >...and of course, me. So, where should we meet? Anyone ever been to the >Newport before? I plan to be in line *by* 7 pm, so maybe I'll just start >yelling "anyone here on the list?" like someone else did. If anyone else >is going that I didn't get, email me personally and I'll write you down, I >wouldn't want to miss anyone! Talk to you all tomorrow, thanks to Ryan >Staib again, and see you soon! You forgot me! Evan "The Guy With No Handle" I'll be there wearing a Phish t-shirt and a Westerville South Marching Band jacket. And I'll probably be the youngest person there from the list :^| I'm not completely sure whether to use a :) or a :(, so whatever. It'd be nice to have a meeting place, but... -- evan chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:44:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: For people trading with me Hello 41- Though I like to think I have my act together, sometimes I don't. For all those people that are in the process (whatever stage) of trading tapes with me, please email me, because my file with all my info got trashed. Thank you very much. Adam ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Bunch of crap From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:57:06 EST On Mon, 02 Dec 1996 22:03:08 CST Aaron Kohlbeck writes: >> I enjoy a very select amount of rap, now that I think of it. >>This encompasses the entirety of Beck!, Beck and Cibo Matto... Two (or >>three, sort of) completely tolerable bands. Of course they aren't >>limited to rap which is an added bonus. > >Do you mean Beck as in "Loser" Beck? That is not rap, sorry to tell >you. No, Loser is not rap as such, but if you've heard anything off his latest album Odelay you'd know that a lot of his stuff is at least rap-ish or at the very least rock-infused rap... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:14:43 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining I don't know about Revolver. Free As A >Bird, yes. Revolver is an album and it had a lot of popular songs on it: Taxman, Yellow Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, and Good Day Sunshine. It's one of my favorite Beatles albums but then again almost all of the Beatles albums are my favorite. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Please ignore any mistakes found in this e-mail. I was recalled at birth. Instead of sending me back to have my defects fixed, my parents decided to save the shipping and handling fees so they could help pay for an overpriced college tution.*** THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRELM TOOTHPASTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:13:00 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Matthew James wrote: > Or, in the case of Flood, where it went Gold and then the following > albums did not go Gold (to my knowledge) there occured a popularity > up-swing(is a word six feet down). > it's popularity. Now, that they have released many albums and have > spread their word farther and wider they are finally getting more and > more recognition and possibly a bit closer to the outer limits of the Most of the people in the MYF I go to first got into TMBG with John Henry. Of course Flood was the most popular (no doubt!), but I think recently John Henry has done a lot for They's popularity. Anyone else noticed this? -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:20:37 -0800 From: Robin Perrtree Organization: Washington U. StL Subject: TMBG: st. louis concert!!! Hey everyone, I just bought my tickets to the St Louis Show on Jan. 3!!!! Anyone else going? I want to go to the $th show too, but I don't have the money right now, at previous concerts they have had deals for cheap entry into the second night with the first night ticket stub. Here's hoping!!! Robin AKA TMBGod ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:27:52 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: wasted > Does anyone know what album the song Wasted is on by our bass friend > Tony Maimone's band Pere Ubu? Is Tony still with P.U.? (hehe) > Thanks, > Matt > -- > Wasted, I believe, is on "The Story of My LIfe". That is the album released in 1992 or 1993....at least I think Wasted is on there. It's the song with the accordian starting the song by itself, right? Good song....especially when he goes "Rock" and suddenly it rocks. Cool stuff, and the rest of the album is too. You're welcome. Oh yeah, and I was under the impression that Pere Ubu broke up, but I could be wrong... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I sent her two postcards / They came right back" --Pere Ubu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:41:17 -0600 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... (not life-threatening important, At 01:30 PM 12/3/96 EST, you wrote: >>Yup, with the baseboard and all, it looks like the words are on the >>floor. Groovy cover, eh? It's on a narrow set of stairs on the cassette, if I'm not mistaken... Anyroad, it's a really spiffy cover... That's it. Random blatherings from a lurker.. see ya' again next month... B Ketcham _________________________________________ - - - - - - - / Braham Ketcham + hexagon@salamander.com \ _ / | <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> [ spiffy quote removed by \_ http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon/ ___/ a horde of evil goats ] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 18:00:45 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Viscous Circles... Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >One last note, I was reading the TMBG newsgroup (something which I rarely > >do) and noticed a few postings by people who claim to have witnessed > >Linnell peeing off the side of the stage into the audience during > >Particle Man. > > Okay -- this is "Coiled" who posted that. He also said that liking >HCISLAG is "a tell-tale sign of homosexuality." Do you really want to >trust *him*? That rumor has been discredited... don't worry about it. :) > BTW, has anyone else noticed that, in the Snail Shell video, at times > Linnell bears an uncanny resemblance to....(drumroll please)....Matthew > Broderick? > Am I hallucinating? Confused? What? Havn't noticed that... I havn't seen the video more than twice. But I do think in the Don't Lets Start video at one point he looks like (ominous dun dun duunnn!) Bob Saget! (It's the part where he's shown about to blow up the accordian and he has a weird smile on his face) Anyone else think this? -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 18:56:36 EST On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:21:45 -0500 (EST) Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> writes: >On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Jarmo Lundgren wrote: > >** Does music become mainstream, if it sells a lot? Then, is Revolver by >** Beatles mainstream? >Um... What else would the definition of it be??? It is mainstream if it is a >shared experience by the media-worshipping portion of the population. Do most >'average' people know of Revolver? Revolver is a Beatles _album_, not a song. It is arguably the beginning of the "good" era in the Beatles music in which their songs began to sound different from each other (I would say it began with Yesterday on Help!, but that's just my opinion). >I don't know. If they do, we are forced, by >definition, to call it mainstream. Most people who have been fans of the Beatles since before, say, thanksgiving last year, know what Revolver is. This album has "Yellow Submarine," "Taxman" and many others on it... >I would guess most of the Beatles' stuff is >pretty visible, pretty culturally acceptable, but I'm not sure. I have never (to >my knowledge) heard the song, but, then again, I'm not statistically average, >either. The only gray area here is 'large'. What do we want to define large as? >I don't know. I only know mainstream means that it is something that most people >do or did, and that was in the public eye. Everyone went to see Independence >Day, and it also got alot of media attention, so it was mainstream. To the best >of my knowledge, many people know about the Beatles, and they had their own ABC >special, so they are mainstream, but I don't know about Revolver. Free As A >Bird, yes. >** Yeah, there it is: "Eleanor Rigby" is mainstream, but "Tomorrow never >** knows".... ? >** Eleanor is a great song anyway. > >I'm not sure what your point was there... I don't know what you're referring >to. Eleanor Rigby and Tomorrow Never Knows are both songs off Revolver. Eleanor Rigby brings us back to the strings debate as all of its music is strings. This song has the line "All the lonely people, where do they all come from, all the lonely people, where do they all belong" ringing any bells? Tomorrow Never Knows is a very insane psychedelic sort of song that has the special feature of being either completely in the Key of C or John Lennon strumming away at the C-string for the whole song, or something like that... It's a very odd song... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 19:05:37 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. In a message dated 96-12-03 01:00:31 EST, you write: << So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? -- >> that conversation remins me of one me and my sister had. a few years ago she was a BIG rem fan,and they were starting to get popular,and my sister was pissed off. she didnt want the whole world to like them too,just her and a few others. she felt rem was her own special little band,and i guess thats how I feel about tmbg. they are my,and and all of are's,special little band. and if everyone liked them,we wouldnt feel as special,cause if we say "my fav band is tmbg" and all someone else says is "yeah,mine too. tmbg are everyones fav band..so?" we would just feel....empty. THANK YOU! A MOMENT OF WISDOM (DUH....) WITH JORDAN ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: FW: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:13:00 +1100 > >----Mismirilda wrote; > >Most of the people in the MYF I go to first got into TMBG with John >Henry. Of course Flood was the most popular (no doubt!), but I think >recently John Henry has done a lot for They's popularity. Anyone else >noticed this? > >Actually I'm very surprised to hear this! One of my first reactions when I >first heard JH was 'this is one for the die hards'! It's nice to be proven >wrong with such things!! > >Cheers and Beers > >10000ft Septic > ------------------------------ From: Elisa_Peimer@Sonymusic.Com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:44:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: THEN: THE EARLY YEARS This is my first time posting, but I found an article in some CD magazine called Ice about the new TMBG double album on Restless "Then: The Early Years". The whole article is kind of long, but Flansburgh talks about the 19 unreleased tracks on it (it's also got the complete pink album, Lincoln, and Misc.T and a 32 page booklet with liner notes written by the Johns). I thought everyone might find the JF's comments on the new tracks interesting: THE CRITIC INTRO: It sounds like pull-quotes on the back of a book describing how great it is. At the time, it was something that warmed up crowds of complete strangers. It's basically a minute and a half of comedy. NOW THAT I HAVE EVERYTHING: The first song on our demo. That was the 'official pop song' to make people think we weren't going to send 'em away in droves. MAINSTREAM USA: A "Dial-A-Song" tune for years and years. It's been a pinata for the band ever since a producer told us it was an example of how obtuse and unlistenable our material can be. The chorus of the song is "Mainstream USA/I flipped that guy the bird." FAKE OUT IN BUENOS AIRES: A magnificent piece of obscuria. In fact, John and I had completely forgotten about it. It's very lush and slow and strange. We recorded it for our first album, but we kept it off because we thought it would have appeared indulgent. GREEK #3: Linnell, who is part Helllenic, sung it in Greek. We played it for a couple of Greek people and they seemed interested and slightly confused. HOPE THAT I GET OLD BEFORE I DIE (ALTERNATE VERSION): Restless was doing a polka album, and they were interested in rock bands that did polka songs. Before we were signed, we tried to convince them to use this song; they had no interest in it, so we put it on our first album. This is the original acoustic version. I'M DEF: The song was probably written the second I heard the term "I'm def." In 1984, the rap lingo in my community was coming fast and furious, and "i'm def" seemed like one of the more fuck-up new kinds of slang. The song, though, has no relationship to rap music. I mean, the only words to the song are: "I'm def/I got a job as a test pilot/I'm listening to the radio." Even though the title is drawn from this popular-culture reference, its relation to it is completely tangential, which is the core of what makes They Might Be Giants a hard band to explain. DON'T LET'S START (DEMO): It's very, very short, almost like a sketch of the song. There's something about singing a song for the first time. The way John sang the melody was very pure, direct and fresh. It's difficult to fake freshness...you can't get your virginity back. '85 RADIO SPECIAL THANK YOU: Another example of something we put together unsolicited. Basically, we made a tape and sent it out to radio stations as a promotional device for ourselves. We thought that instead of sending college radio stations a tape of our songs, which they would surely never play, we'd actually send them a piece of programming. We created this 15-minute radio show with crazy interviews and spoken-word things. The two-minute version (on the box) is the most interesting part of that recording. KITTEN INTRO: Based on a car commercial. WEEP DAY: Just a good song we never put on a record. BIG BIG WHOREDOM: It's a little sad we never recorded a final version of this song. When we did it live, we had a very impressive and strange rhythm accompaniment. This version has Linnell playing guitar; it's a lop-sided, both-eyes-in-one-socket recording. Definitely less accessible than our average song. GETTING SENTIMENTAL OVER YOU: We actually took lyrics to another song and grafted them onto a new piece of music, so it's not strictly a cover. BECOME A ROBOT: This was another song we did for the Restless polka album. It also got rejected. It's an over-the-top song that uses a Fairlight, which was then a brand-new invention, like a music sampler and computer. Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel - every Brit art-rocker guy had a Fairlight in the '80's. WHICH DESCRIBES HOW YOU'RE FEELING: We did another version of this later on in our shows. This is the original version. SWING IS A WORD: One of the first "Dial-A-Song recordings, back in '83. A very ugly song. DORIS BEWITCHED: A little soundbite. COUNTERFEIT FAKE: This uses the very first drum machine I ever bought, a demonstration model I bought two months before it officially came out in America. The song was created with all the drum programs people had recorded while testing it in the store. I was trying to figure out how this piece of equipment worked, so it's very psychotic sounding. I thought the title was interest, like a Bob Dylan title that kind of folds in on itself. CHILDREN SINGING "PARTICLE MAN": Given to us in 1990 by a fan, who taught music at an elementary school. He taught these children to sing "Particle Man". It has that out-of-tune upright piano accompaniment. It's hard not to smile when listening to it. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Your mama From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:18:56 EST On Mon, 02 Dec 1996 22:03:08 CST Aaron Kohlbeck writes: >S-E-X-X-Y single: >Picked mine up last week after a 2 hours search. Took it home for >break and >played it for my mom. She really liked WGAWTS and she has my extra >copy >of FS, but my brother keeps stealing it. I know that there is a TMBG >lover >in my mom, but my brother keeps thwarting my attempts to bring it out. > Damn >him! I have noticed this disturbing trend on the list lately... why does everyone feel that it is necessary to play TMBG for your parents / family or take them to concerts? GOOD LORD! How many families do you see at a concert now adays? (Unless it's like Beach Boys or Lawrence Welk or something...) Forget the geezers! REBEL AGAINST YOUR PARENTS!!! ...sorry about that... +++ This is Justin W. Smith's amazingly terrific signature +++ jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com justin@tmbg.org Coming soon: TMBG, SC:TCG, MST:3k, SPEED RACER, and other stuff web page! Visit the Dragon Warrior Text Adventure! www.dragonfire.net/~MonoPuff/DW/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:03:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: Your mama Hey man, my whole family likes TMBG so blah! =) And, you BETTER not be talking about my momma, or I'll be forced to open up my Economy-Size can o'whoop ass on ya! =) I may look innocent and feminine, but I'm 89-lbs. of pure terror and destruction!! =) Smile, Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:09:02 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: FW: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining (fwd) ***********************_________________________________************************ ! Nathan "hotdog" Hiller ! ! ! I belive in world be excellent to ! The Man ! peace and smashing each other... ! and ! two bricks ! his ! together.. ...Bill & Ted ! plan for ! ! Bannanas and Oranges ! ...Monty Python have faith that we ! to live in peace ! will be saved ! and harmony.. ! l from almost !^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^! l peace certain uh...um.. ! ! l peril..yea peril.. ! Can you help but love me. ! /l\ ! ! / l \ ...nathan hiller ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ l ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If your love for me were a grain of sand, then mine for you would be a universe of beaches.. ...Westley from The Princess Bride ******************************************************************************** Http://www.people.memphis.edu/~unjhiller ******************************************************************************* > >----Mismirilda wrote; > >Most of the people in the MYF I go to first got into TMBG with John >Henry. Of course Flood was the most popular (no doubt!), but I think >recently John Henry has done a lot for They's popularity. Anyone else >noticed this? > >Actually I'm very surprised to hear this! One of my first reactions when I >first heard JH was 'this is one for the die hards'! It's nice to be proven >wrong with such things!! > >Cheers and Beers > >10000ft Septic > I first got into THEY when I saw a poster for Flood in a friend of mine's room...I went to another friend's place and borrowed her Flood and decided that this band just kick some major ass when it came right down to it. I went out bought my own album and listened to it til' my ears bled. I then got all the albums I could and when JH came out I bought it and instantly fell in love with it so I really think that the popularity of THEY is really derived from first experiences with a song. In memphis there is a huge underground following. Even they were here w/Bootie and the Howfish more people were there to see THEY than Bootie... nate ***********************_________________________________************************ ! Nathan "hotdog" Hiller ! ! ! I belive in world be excellent to ! The Man ! peace and smashing each other... ! and ! two bricks ! his ! together.. ...Bill & Ted ! plan for ! ! Bannanas and Oranges ! ...Monty Python have faith that we ! to live in peace ! will be saved ! and harmony.. ! l from almost !^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^! l peace certain uh...um.. ! ! l peril..yea peril.. ! Can you help but love me. ! /l\ ! ! / l \ ...nathan hiller ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ l ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If your love for me were a grain of sand, then mine for you would be a universe of beaches.. ...Westley from The Princess Bride ******************************************************************************** Http://www.people.memphis.edu/~unjhiller ******************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:31:21 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: Re: TMBG: Your mama (fwd) Subject: Re: TMBG: Your mama Hey man, my whole family likes TMBG so blah! =) And, you BETTER not be talking about my momma, or I'll be forced to open up my Economy-Size can o'whoop ass on ya! =) I may look innocent and feminine, but I'm 89-lbs. of pure terror and destruction!! =) Smile, Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." I'll vouche for that she is 89lbs. of pure terror and plague too... hehehe nate ***********************_________________________________************************ ! Nathan "hotdog" Hiller ! ! ! I belive in world be excellent to ! The Man ! peace and smashing each other... ! and ! two bricks ! his ! together.. ...Bill & Ted ! plan for ! ! Bannanas and Oranges ! ...Monty Python have faith that we ! to live in peace ! will be saved ! and harmony.. ! l from almost !^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^! l peace certain uh...um.. ! ! l peril..yea peril.. ! Can you help but love me. ! /l\ ! ! / l \ ...nathan hiller ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ l ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If your love for me were a grain of sand, then mine for you would be a universe of beaches.. ...Westley from The Princess Bride ******************************************************************************** Http://www.people.memphis.edu/~unjhiller ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:53:03 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Aneyurism!" Quoth Kevin McGuire: > I noticed >something rather "odd" on the side of the cd case. The more current a >release a CD is, the larger and larger the words "They Might Be Giants" >and "[Album Name Here]" get. As if this wasn't scary enough, the larger >TMBG gets, the smaller the word "Elektra" or "Restless/Bar None" gets. >Creepy, huh? No, it makes sense. The more well-known/popular a band gets, the more their name alone will sell records. The Giants probably didn't think too hard about their name's size when they put out the Pink album (I can't find any blue dogs on it). Elektra, however, as a large, unfriendly conglomerate, knows and cares about these things. The Elektra label likewise shrank because it's not aesthetically pleasing to look at THREE huge names (band, album title, record company) and it wasn't as important as a selling point. What I always wondered abot was why they always make the "Might Be" in "They Might Be Giants" bigger than the rest of the name. > Maybe Lite beer really does taste great. No, thats crazy, it's >less filling. Ah, you're full of it, it tastes gr- In my personal opinion, beer tastes like pee. Royce Lee tol' me: >Very good Danny, but who did write it? The Four Lads, one of whom was apparantly called "N. Simon". Me dijo Bill Tatalovich: I've heard many a show in which >Linnell sings Ana Ng (especially Ana Ng, but it applies to the others as >well) with no vocal inflection. Almost as though he's bored with the >songs. I'm sure he is after the millionth time. That's why he changes the lyrics; to get some fun back into the song. Mike Rose from a small suburb of Buffalo, NY said: > I am not the only one who has not received the tape from doug >haas. All I really wanted was to be kept informed. When I trade I feel I >have a responsibility to the person I am trading with to let them know the >status of their tapes. > I want my tape, doug, or I want to know why I don't have it. You >can't leave people hanging like this, barring any horrible tragedy in your >life. Thank you. The alert will notice that this particular homeboy is advertising his bootleg trading homepage in the very same issue of the digest/same day. Be wary. Also, the same thing happened to me with a guy called Phil Kyler, who claims he's been too busy to make my tape since August/September, so stay away from him too. My homegirl Nichole the Wonder Nerd pondered: >'Devil Went Down to Newport'? Nope. 'Nixon's the One'? Nyet. 'So Long, >Mockingbird'? Uhh.. not in my family. We talkin' Tryptophane, dawg! It has a few references to Thanksgiving in the lyrics. Still the only Lorelei she knows, Kilroy "Stay just as far from me as me from you Make sure that you are sure of everything I do Because I'm not not not not not not not not Your academy." -REM ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus Show (Re:) Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 21:40:15 -0500 (EST) > > >I think I lost count somewhere along the way. Here's my list of who will > >be at the Columbus show tomorrow: [...] > >Matthew Coon (m@t) > Sigh. Real life has reared its ugly head and I won't be going to any Ohio show after all. Except maybe Cinci... Sigh. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicago and Milwaukee fun Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 21:44:27 -0500 (EST) > NitpickR writes: > > I don't know if pictures of anything turned out yet. > That was you taking photos? I think I was standing right next to you! I got an excellent audio recording of the whole set, BTW. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 21:00:24 -0600 From: zqt01@ttacs.ttu.edu Subject: TMBG: Random thoughts Hello all, This is my first post, although I've been reading the digest forever it seems, and my email box is bombarded daily w/ TMBG info. If that made any sense. But I'll keep it short. I got the S-E-X-X-Y single on Sunday in Denton, because I couldn't find it in Lubbock, TX. But I didn't get a chance to listen to it until I was on my way home from the smashing pumpkins concert in Dallas. Approx a 6 hour drive. I really like "We've got a world that swings". So much I listened to it for two hours straight on the way home. It seems like a lounge song for some reason. But I'm probably crazy. Well, I'm off to rule the world. Chester H. P.S. cool band alert "Moxy Fruvous" ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: My Mama?!? + Beck Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 20:56:09 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck I wrote: > >S-E-X-X-Y single: > >Picked mine up last week after a 2 hours search. Took it home and > >played it for my mom. She really liked WGAWTS and she has my extra Then Justin Smith wrote: > I have noticed this disturbing trend on the list lately... why does > everyone feel that it is necessary to play TMBG for your parents / family > or take them to concerts? GOOD LORD! How many families do you see at a In my case, I have an ulterior motive. I want to be able to listen to something other than country music whenever I go home. ;) If it was something that I liked, that would be even better. Beck: I am stubborn. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that Beck is rap, just like you can't convince me that Anthrax is rap because of "I'm the Man", that Biz Markie is R&B because of his singing on "The Diabolical Biz Markie", that Fun Lovin' Criminals are alternative because of "Scooby Snacks", that Kiss are sensitive balladeers because of "Beth", that TMBG are polka artists because of "The Famous Polka". What I am trying to say is that because an artist uses elements of a genre in his/her/their music, they are not defined by that genre. If the artist is good, they can use those elements to their advantage and come up with something that transcends the parts (ends > means). Beck has taken rap elements and used them in his own way. Does that make him a rap artist? For some people, I guess the answer is yes. For me, no. Aaron -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck Programming or dishes? Programming or dishes? This is a life? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm so lucky From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:37:50 EST >(BTW, I have sheet music for "Dead" written in 3/4 by a professor, but >we won't argue that string.) You have sheet music for "Dead?" I want it! I've been looking all over the net for a MIDI of "Dead," because I want the sheet music for the piano part! If you have access to a scanner (sneak into the computer lab at your school if you don't), scan it in (high-quality, now) and put it on your page and give the list the URL! BTW, I do have a program that converts MIDI tracks to sheet music, but it's shareware and it doesn't print. Once I find a program that can print, I'll scan in the sheet music and post it on my page at: http://www.top.net/tlloyd/tmbg.htm Anyone have any programs they'd like to recommend? Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ Subject: Non-TMBG: Man...or Astroman? (was wacky elektra) From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:37:50 EST >I noticed on a "Man or Astroman" CD it stated "blah blah blag (C) 1996 > >blah blah blah". Um...so? And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. Wow, that makes two of us on the list who know of MOA? Neato. Let's see how many others we can find. I have seen Man...or Astroman? in concert twice. The first time, I stayed for the whole show and they threw Little Debbie snacks (their trademark) into the crowd. And I got a piece of ceiling tile that the drummer had hit his head on, then threw out into the audience. Then my friend Megan (who's also a TMBG fan) and I took Coco the Electric Monkey Wizard (the lead singer guy) over to the 7-11 next door for Slurpees. But the 7-11 guy said the Slurpees tasted like pee, so we didn't get any. Woohoo. The second time I saw MOA?, it was on a school night, so I had to leave early. The opening bands droned on and on forever, and I only stayed long enough to hear three MOA? songs and watch them throw Wonder Bread into the audience, 'cause they didn't have any Little Debbies. If anyone wants to see a bitchin' stage show, go see Man...Or Astroman... next time they come to your town. We're talking three movie projectors and four TVs showing sci-fi flicks or space films, some oscilloscopes, costumes ranging from an old Air Force uniform and thick black glasses (for Starcrunch) to an orange jumpsuit with duct tape and a TV helmet for Coco. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:44:50 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! Please.. ANYONE!!! Maybe Flippy himself.. please send me the Address for Flippy's page... I WANNA GO THERE!!!! DOG This is the best of me given up, given up. This is the rest of me and I've had quite enough..."- The Connells ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 23:10:59 EST On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:44:50 -0500 CyburDog@aol.com writes: >Please.. ANYONE!!! >Maybe Flippy himself.. please send me the Address for Flippy's page... >I WANNA GO THERE!!!! Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Happy Hour can be found at http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/ ... Please don't let your visit focus on only TMBG, it's a beautiful page... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:13:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. In a message dated 96-12-03 20:53:40 EST, Jordan1c@aol.com writes: > that conversation remins me of one me and my sister had. a few years ago she > was a BIG rem fan,and they were starting to get popular,and my sister was > pissed off. she didnt want the whole world to like them too,just her and a > few others. she felt rem was her own special little band,and i guess thats > how I feel about tmbg. they are my,and and all of are's,special little band. > > and if everyone liked them,we wouldnt feel as special,cause if we say > "my fav band is tmbg" and all someone else says is > "yeah,mine too. tmbg are everyones fav band..so?" > we would just feel....empty. > THANK YOU! > A MOMENT OF WISDOM (DUH....) WITH JORDAN It's a funny thing...I went through the same thing with REM and really didn't like some of their stuff after they got UnGodly popular. I am glad they went back to their roots with their latest album, but they may not stay there. If TMBG(gods!) became as popular as REM, I would go through the same thing if they changed their sound and would be very happy if they got extremely popular AND kept their sound the same. It would only happen that way if suddenly the world lightened up and got hip to what fun, genius and talent that exemplifies TMBG. Joseph (only on the list 2 whole days) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:13:36 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 CyburDog@aol.com wrote: > Please.. ANYONE!!! > Maybe Flippy himself.. please send me the Address for Flippy's page... > I WANNA GO THERE!!!! > > DOG Hi there. Mr. Flippy is very busy at the moment fighting that child molestation charge in Paraguay, but he has asked me to remind you that the address for his nearly illegal web page can be found in the .sig of a guy with my very own name. So if you look down, way down, past all the small insignificant people who you have to step on just to get ahead in this world, you will see it, right there, no, further down...yes, you have it. Thank you. Doin' it for the kiddies, MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:15:21 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I NEED ???FLIPPY'S??? WEB PAGE ADDRESS!!! >Please.. ANYONE!!! >Maybe Flippy himself.. please send me the Address for Flippy's page... >I WANNA GO THERE!!!! Well, I can't deny such a moving plea! You can find Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour at: http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy For all your crocheting needs Alex ------------------------------ From: "Jessica D. Eakett" Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:16:39 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Asheville, NC Hey! I was wondering if anybody in the Raleigh area of NC was going to this show in Asheville. I can almost guarantee since They're playing clubs that it will probably be at Be Here Now. It's a small venue, as all of the clubs in Asheville are very small. But its the biggest one in town. Anyway to get to the point of this, I need a ride there. If anybody has any info, let me know. Jess - Jessica D. Eakett jdeakett@unity.ncsu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 23:18:04 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: re: NON-TMBG: Mainstreamlining > ><< Revolver is an album and it had a lot of popular songs on it: Taxman, >Yellow > Submarine >> >Yellow Submarine? >Isn't that on.. ohhh what album is that...??? >Ohhh. I think it is called Yellow Submarine.. Unless there is a remix or >something on Revolver... >But... I don't think so... > > Yellow Submarine was orgininally on Revolver which came out in 1966. Yellow Submarine the album wasn't released until 1969 . ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Please ignore any mistakes found in this e-mail. I was recalled at birth. Instead of sending me back to have my defects fixed, my parents decided to save the shipping and handling fees so they could help pay for an overpriced college tution.*** THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRELM TOOTHPASTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:46:25 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... x>Has anyone noticed that the photo on the cover of Miss T is upside x>down...The keyhole is above the lock...but maybe that is the way you do it x>in the USofA..... x xwow... It IS upside-down... I had always thought that the letters were xstuck up on the celing or something... but turn it upside-down and that xlooks like a floor! (And that's a pretty bad looking wall over on the left xside...) If I remember correctly, Flans made the Misc T letters out of papier mache and photographed them on the floor and stairs of his apartment. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:57:10 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Rochester show I just bought tickets to the December 29th show in Rochester! (I'll be driving up from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) Does anyone know if there'll be a free record store show that day? -Sean. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 23:52:07 -0600 From: zqt01@ttacs.ttu.edu Subject: TMBG: Moxy ect. >>wow, another Moxy fan, what albums of theirs do you have? do you >>have any bootlegs? >>=================================== >>Doug Haas >>http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Tmbg Tape Traders list >>http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair Well, I'm still a new Moxy fan, and I've only got "Bargainville". What else do they have out. ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Misc T cover.... Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:07:49 +1100 >--Christy said >If I remember correctly, Flans made the Misc T letters out of papier mache >and photographed them on the floor and stairs of his apartment. > I remember first seeing this album when it was called 'Don't Lets Start'. That was probably in 1990. Was it's cover in the same style? Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 01:58:58 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Definite news on TMBG's NYEve show Hi TMBGer's! I have some news on the New Year's Eve whereabouts of TMBG! This news will definitely be disappointing for those of us East Coasters, but TMBG fans in Chicago will be smiling! TMBG will *not* be playing at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ. =( However, They *will* be playing a NYE show at the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago!!! I'm jealous, but in a friendly TMBG sort of way! I hope this helps to clear things up for people, and I hope that everyone out there near Chicago has a supercool time! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-332 ******************************