Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-333 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 333 Thursday, 5 December 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: I'm so lucky TMBG: mistake lyrics Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Re: TMBG: clarification about my last posting TMBG: Re: Font sizes and other babblings TMBG: 12/31 and CMJ Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: Number Three TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun TMBG: S-E-X-X-WHY? (The Remix Single) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: Cleveland directions TMBG: Re: Misc T cover.... TMBG: Moxy ect. TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun TMBG: John Henry's Appeal (Fwd) Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining (Fwd) (Fwd) Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: non-tmbg...sorry about the sig file TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as me Re: TMBG: Rochester show TMBG: TMBG in Europe? TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? (Fwd) Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Rap TMBG: Revolver is an album, not a song TMBG: Printing MIDI TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec TMBG: Fire drill Re: TMBG: They Might Be Black Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec RE: TMBG: Rapopular TMBG: she's got three cars as many years as i've lived in the city TMBG: My FS arrives in Britain! Re: TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as TMBG: rem/tmbg popularity TMBG: Maintreamers, Side projects, Chicago NYE info needed! Re: TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as me Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks TMBG: About Mainstream Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker TMBG: In US History Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec TMBG: Columbus Show 12/3 Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker TMBG: Analy-Arranged Albums TMBG: Beatles, mainstream, parents etc.... TMBG: Cub in columbus Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: Cincinnati Show 12/5 I'll be there Non-TMBG: The Beatles Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" TMBG: Hello CDs Re: TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article TMBG: plans RE: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? RE: TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article Re: TMBG: plans TMBG: Linnell in love TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Re: TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) TMBG: Cya! RE: TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) Re: TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest (none) Re: TMBG: Linnell in love TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: mistake lyrics Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining TMBG: Videos and performances and tapes oh my! Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" TMBG: parentS. TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Fnord!" TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... TMBG: For all going to the Cincy show tomorrow (12/5/96) Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker TMBG: John Henry TMBG: Re: Hello CDs TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings Re: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 02:07:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm so lucky Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: I'm so lucky by Tim B Lloyd@juno.com > You have sheet music for "Dead?" I want it! I've been looking all over > the net for a MIDI of "Dead," because I want the sheet music for the > piano part! If you have access to a scanner (sneak into the computer lab I'm actually working on sequencing it. (just the piano parts, no vocals) It's actually pretty simple - most of the chords are held for half a measure, and anything that appears in a group of three is most likely 3 8th notes, because it's actually in 6/8, not 3/4. 3/4 is really, really distinctive. *REALLY*. The main reason for this is that there's only one logical way to divide it up, and that's *1* 2 3, etc. If things are grouped in 3s, but it doesn't have the beat of "When it Rains it Snows" or "Space Suit," it's probably either in 6/8 (or 3/8, 9/8, 12/8, etc) or using triplets in 4/4 or 2/4. So when I get that done, I'll send it to the MIDI archive. ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 02:08:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: mistake lyrics I could have sworn that the lyrics in Pet Name that go: Waiting at the bus stop for just about an hour Strategies for hangman, cat's cradle, origami actually went: Waiting at the bus stop for just about an hour Strategies for hangman, cat's cradle, OR A GUMMI (as in gummi bears!) Silly moi!! Joseph ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 00:32:30 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. At 05:10 PM 12/3/96 +0000, Jonah wrote: >> So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >> they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? Hey Guys, i am sorry to inform you, but tmbg is already mainstream. "Alternative" has not existed since the alternative of the 80's, touring with Hootie does not help thier image, and when the average "Joe" within the age group of 10-35 knows of "Don't Let's Start," "Istanbul," etc. They are no longer of the underground. We are groupies. (sp?) They would still rock my tacos if they were number one for a year on whoever's charts, because I do not listen to the radio. The radio is part of the viscous corporate circle. When TMBG submits to corporate demands, they are no longer a part of the elite (trendy alternative scene). Down with Elektra!!! Power to the Label of the People!! I am babbling and have experienced the loss of my point... if anyone would care to continue... feel free. Matthew K Puvogel RaVeNmAsTeR productions ltd. 1996 "I was walking down Haight Street, in Sanfrancisco, when counter-cultered youth cornered me... She had a freshly died purple mohawk, $120 Doc Martin Boots, so in other words she was wearing about as much equity as I had made so far this year, and with a wanting look, on her pale face, she asked me for some change...... I said change comes from within..." (Wally Pleasant-- Houses of the Holy Moly) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 00:37:41 -0800 From: Matthew K Puvogel Subject: Re: TMBG: clarification about my last posting At 03:33 PM 12/3/96 -0500, Kelley Kent wrote: My point was that I want to go to a concert >to enjoy the band on stage, not the psychadelic(sp?) >images in my "doped up" mind. Hey at the Moscow show there was a point in time where the bug that needed to be worked out of their playing caught up with them. There was an offbeat, grinding guitar/synthesizer thing going on that for about five seconds made me feel like I had begun to "peak" on a nice little "trip." The whole thing gave me a great rush... BTW... The people that wanted copies of that show are going to have to wait until after the first of the year, but the sound quality and remastering a friend of mine is taking care of will make it worth the wait... sorry but you will see what I mean when you get the tape... (CD copies can also be arranged...) *hint* Matthew K Puvogel, esq. VIII ------------------------------ Date: 4 Dec 1996 08:31:54 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: Font sizes and other babblings Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote in article <2.2.16.19961203132125.256f106e@peseta.ucdavis.edu>... > >I was just sittin around one day, just listening to one of THEIR cd's > >(Apollo 18, I think) and I happened to glance at my > >anally-arranged-in-release-order stack of TMBG cd's. I noticed > >something rather "odd" on the side of the cd case. The more current a > >release a CD is, the larger and larger the words "They Might Be Giants" > >and "[Album Name Here]" get. > > Uhh... looking over at my own anally-arranged-in-release-order (nice to know > I'm not the only one!) collection of CD's Gee, does this mean I can proudly display my TMBG stuff (also anally arranged in order of release) where others can see? Also, what comes first, Misc T or Don't Let's Start (the compilation, not the single). Cheers, fellow anal TMBG fans. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 03:36:44 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: 12/31 and CMJ First of all I am very upset that TMBG will not be in Red Bank on New Years Eve. After I post this message, I'm going to cry. :( *sniff* Anyway... on the better news. TMBG made the cover of CMJ's 500th issue (dated 11/25/96). Included in the issue is an article (quite long) with John&John talking about Factory Showroom. I'm going to post the article later this afternoon unless if anyone has any objections about this related to the clogging of their inbox (espically if u get the digested form like I do). Later, Craig, who now has to wait until the summer to see TMBG ------------------------------ Date: 4 Dec 1996 08:35:05 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Maria, Nick wrote in article ... > >Actually I'm very surprised to hear this! One of my first reactions when I > >first heard JH was 'this is one for the die hards'! It's nice to be proven > >wrong with such things!! > > No, my fellow Aussie, I agree with your first reaction. But, to be fair I found this album to be sleeper (a couple of listens and I found it to be quite superb). -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 03:41:06 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Number Three I just got back from the Columbus show, and I have to say it rocked! It was my third time seeing Them (hence the subject line) and I had a blast. Wow, there's so much to tell, this is going to be a long post! Ok. I got to the Newport around 7:15 or so with my friend Bryan. We went right in, and got to about 5 rows from the stage. Not too bad, no tall people in front of us. So we wait for cub, and I'm asking people around me if they're from the list. No luck. Cub plays, and they were ok, not as good as I was expecting, although if we could have understood the vocals they may have been better. They sounded all mushy but they themselves were really cool, especially the drummer :) The crowd really didn't like them too well, and no one was really moving at all, let alone dancing. Cub left the stage at about 8:50, and the crowd starts shifting as they wait for TMBG. A tall person somehow got *right* in front of me, so I tried to move around, but basically stayed in the same place, 5 rows back and dead center. We waited and waited, and people started yelling as if that would make John and John come out faster. Just after 9:30, Lady is a Tramp starts playing and out come the Johns! Ok I got a set list, so I'll post it here and make comments in parenthses: Older (the crowd really liked this song, although I was the only one in my area that knew the words) Sun/Ana Guitar Counter (Counterfeit Faker: Eric came out on this one, and I really liked his playing on it. I'd never heard it before but I like it a lot!) Particle (by this time, I was being moshed to death, so I ended up off to the side, in front of Flans, and only about 3 rows back!) Sleepin' Polk (With la's! Linnell said "ok everyone join in" or something like that) XTC/Exq (while They were playing XTCVAA, two stagehands brought out the puppet heads which, in my opinion, are rather scary looking) SEXXY (Flans dedicated it to all the sexy people and said it had a sexy dance that goes with it) Istan (loooooooong intro by Eric and Linnell, it was ok but got bo-ring after about the first 2 minutes) Maybe (Wow, I love this song, but I liked it better on accordian than keyboard. I hope it's on the next album) Spider/Nyquil Metal - (Pet) (they played both) Ensor ("This song is in the key of e-minus, and the title is in the first line") Bird (Birdhouse, that is. Much moshing again) NYC (Sang the King Kong line instead of the Dylan line) Til (here, Flans said "our last song is called Dig My Grave" and Linnell said "no it's not...." flans gave him a weird look and Linnell said "I wanna do the one with three letters on the list here...you know, this one..." so they played Till My Head Falls Off and it was great! I almost lost my voice because of this song :) Dig (They started off all slow then suddenly went into a *very* fast version of Dig My Grave) At this point they left the stage, and of course everyone's yelling and clapping, and one guy near me yelled "come on, don't make us do this, it's degrading, we know you're gonna come back!" Worst (before this , Flans said "You may notice that I've changed shirts. This is just to let you all know that it's never too late to buy a cub t-shirt, located right outside the doors" and went into this big thing making cub sound like Public Television, and talking about sending in pledges to keep cub programming on the air :) Girl (in the first chorus, Flans sang "stigmatized" again instead of "objectified", and Linnell looked over at him like "what the hell, John?!") Spy (great improv at the end!! Linnell started out conducting, then he said "you direct" and Flans took over, and he had the crowd yelling, then snapping our fingers and when we started clapping he made us snap again because he wanted us to be really quiet.) Here they left again, then just Flans came out and played the opening part to.... Lost Twist Polka (they didn't play this, because I found out later they were supposed to be off stage by 11, and it was about 11:10 at the end of Twistin') After They left for the last time, I asked a security guard for a set list, and he gave me one and ignored all the other people that were reaching for it :) Then we ran out behind the theatre and waited there with some other people for abour 15 minutes, when Linnell, Brian, and Graham came out. They couldn't stop :( but they passed within 2 feet of me! So we waited another 20 minutes or so for Flans, and he finally came out, signed one autograph for a guy, then had to run. But he also passed within 2 feet of me :) So even though I didn't get autographs, I still had a great great time. the whole band was in such a great mood and I hope they still are tomorrow night! And I hope I meet more of you in Cleveland than I met in Columbus....I especially don't know how I missed Evan Chakroff who told me what he was wearing and everything. Ok this has been a long post, see you all soon! And if anyone taped the show, I am interested in trading :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org "Stupid day jobs are like blow jobs, they both suck." -- Wally Pleasant ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 04:25:35 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun > And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. > Wow, that makes two of us on the list who know of MOA? Neato. Let's see > how many others we can find. Me me me, I'm not a big fan of them but my brother is so therefore, I know of them. Now, on to the real stuff ;) Ok, this is the list I have that will be attending the show on the 4th Dan "John Henry" StatuE (Wayde) Josh (@fyi.net) M.C.I. Hanna Jones Ryan Staib Boba (Matthew Ondrey) I'll most likely be with Ryan so come meet us! Hopefully I'll get Linnell to stare at me again...I don't care if he can see farther than 5 inches infront of his face, I know that when he looked at me and smiled tonight, he meant it. ;) On a related note, after the show someone was talking about Flans having a girlfriend. I said that he'd gotten married in June, and the guy said "oh, ok. Linnell has a girlfriend though, right?" Anyone know anything about this? Not that I'm obsessed with him or anything, it's just that we never hear much about Linnell, and I wondered if anyone knew. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Always try to do things in chronological order; it's less confusing that way. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 02:29:30 -0800 From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-WHY? (The Remix Single) I'm still kinda surprised at all the "S-E-X-X-Y" bashing... I've always kinda digged the song. I still think "Till My Head Falls Off" is a better choice for a single, just because it sounds more like the other crap that gets played on modern rock/"new rock"/alternative stations around the country, although still in a uniquely TMBG way. But, c'mon, "S-E-X-X-Y" has a great groove to it. But anyway, that's not the point of my post. My point is that I picked up the single over Thanksgiving weekend... but I also picked up a 12" remix single for "S-E-X-X-Y" and (although I haven't payed extremely close attention) I haven't noticed anyone post about it, so I thought I would. It's a 12" (that's vinyl...record...you know) release, in an all black sleeve with a orange and pink sticker on it similar in design to the CD-single. It says "remixes by Todd Terry and Warren Rigg from Factory Showroom" on it. It's a typical DJ-single, basically... what DJs at clubs use to spin dance tracks from. Side A Tee's Freeze Mix (5:21) Tee's In House Dub (5:58) Tee's Cappella (4:55) <-- this is the weirdest one, it's just the song with everything but the _vocals_ stripped out Side B The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix (7:52) <-- same as the CD single The Warren Rigg Instrumental (7:52) <-- instrumental version of the same Anyway, it's basic generic dance music. Only it's "S-E-X-X-Y". Not really my type of music, but I had to pick it up anyway. Kerry | Kerry Biggs | | kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu | | murmur@teleport.com | ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 05:57:37 -0600 >At 05:10 PM 12/3/96 +0000, Jonah wrote: >>> So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if >>> they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? > > >Hey Guys, > >i am sorry to inform you, but tmbg is already mainstream. "Alternative" >has not existed since the alternative of the 80's, touring with Hootie does >not help thier image, and when the average "Joe" within the age group of >10-35 knows of "Don't Let's Start," "Istanbul," etc. They are no longer of >the underground. > >We are groupies. (sp?) I beg to differ... i hate that phrase. I dont thiink so.... naahhh. WRONG! nope oh well Anyway, i have not met ONE PERSON in this town (of 10,000) that likes them. The only person would be my (i almost kept this as "mr" in a typo, just noticed) friend who kinda became a fan at the same time i did. As i wear my TMBG hat (which i have been panicking about because i can find it) and shirt i almost always get no comment except once, just an insult from someone who had no idea "Who there may be giants" is. Gloria should meet up with some of the people in my town. one person stopped me and said "Hey, whats that say?" he sat there about 30 seconds trying to read the big letters, and gave up. I swear i would drop out of school if i didn't have such idiots to laugh at 7 hours a day. And me mom hadnt heard of them, my dad and stepmom, who freelance in the music buisness, said "Hey, arnt they those 2 guys that are like 35 or something? i think i met them once" You must just be lucky and live in somewhere where people actually have heard of them. i tried calling radio station and the only one that had any TMBG was almost all static. No one else knew anything. I REALLY should stop babbaling. :=FE=F50u=982=F4=FDb=91=9E=9E=B9.. i love= ascii character codes. looks like someone is vomiting. =20 |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| | Wyatt Glodell | | WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM | |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:13:26 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Cleveland directions Sorry if I got your hopes up with the subject. I _can't_ give them! My dad was asleep when I got home, and I can barely read a map. Sorry bout this. You can call the Agora (I don't have the number) or ask at gas stations... My friend can't boot it, either, since he needs to be able to plug in his recording device (it doesn't even take batteries). RS ------------------------------ Date: 04 Dec 1996 14:51:00 +0100 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG: Re: Misc T cover.... Organization: puppet head "Maria, Nick" wrote: > I remember first seeing this album when it was called 'Don't Lets > Start'. That was probably in 1990. Was it's cover in the same style? The DLS compilation has a *totally* different cover. If I ever think about it I'll scan it. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@tmbg.org rodrparr@dds.nl amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://huizen.dds.nl/~rodrparr ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Moxy ect. Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:29:43 -0500 (EST) > > >>wow, another Moxy fan, what albums of theirs do you have? do you > >>have any bootlegs? > >>=================================== > >>Doug Haas > >>http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Tmbg Tape Traders list > >>http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair > > Well, I'm still a new Moxy fan, and I've only got "Bargainville". What else > do they have out. Bargainville, Wood, and the B-Album. They are coming out with a new album in March. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:01:55 -0500 (EST) > he meant it. ;) On a related note, after the show someone was talking > about Flans having a girlfriend. I said that he'd gotten married in June, > and the guy said "oh, ok. Linnell has a girlfriend though, right?" > Anyone know anything about this? Not that I'm obsessed with him or > anything, it's just that we never hear much about Linnell, and I wondered > if anyone knew. I konw that Linnell did have a girlfriend (and may still). I remember around the time when there was a They Might Be Black show in Tennessee I think it may have been Linnell off in Europe with his girlfriend so Frank filled in. Or was this Flans who was off in Europe? I can't remember. Linnell's a smooth guy with looks and talent so he probably has a chick-friend. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:39:38 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: John Henry's Appeal >Most of the people in the MYF I go to first got into TMBG with John >Henry. Of course Flood was the most popular (no doubt!), but I think >recently John Henry has done a lot for They's popularity. Anyone else >noticed this? I have two types of friends, those that are TmBg fans, and those that I am attempting to convert. Those I'm attempting to convert tend to like some of their material, but none of them like John Henry. They think it is dull and boring. I always thought, and still do think, that John Henry is Their least imaginative album by far. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:50:03 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining > Revolver is an album and it had a lot of popular songs on it: Taxman, Yellow > Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, and Good Day Sunshine. ... and then there are Tomorrow Never Knows, She Said and that Indian-flavored sitar song by George Harrison (what was the name of the song...?), etc. Not very mainstream, I think. > It's one of my favorite > Beatles albums but then again almost all of the Beatles albums are my favorite. Mine too... Have to say, I'm not really interested, if They are mainstream or not. I like mainstream music, if it's good. I also listen to indie stuff, if it's good. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:47:48 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) (Fwd) Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Forwarded message: From: Self To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: (Fwd) Re: (Fwd) re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Reply-to: jab@pp.atlasnet.fi Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:47:28 > Revolver is an album and it had a lot of popular songs on it: Taxman, Yellow > Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, and Good Day Sunshine. ... and then there are Tomorrow Never Knows, She Said and that Indian-flavored sitar song by George Harrison (what was the name of the song...?), etc. Not very mainstream, I think. > It's one of my favorite > Beatles albums but then again almost all of the Beatles albums are my favorite. Mine too... Have to say, I'm not really interested, if They are mainstream or not. I like mainstream music, if it's good. I also listen to indie stuff, if it's good. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:50:03 +0000 Subject: re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining > Revolver is an album and it had a lot of popular songs on it: Taxman, Yellow > Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, and Good Day Sunshine. ... and then there are Tomorrow Never Knows, She Said and that Indian-flavored sitar song by George Harrison (what was the name of the song...?), etc. Not very mainstream, I think. > It's one of my favorite > Beatles albums but then again almost all of the Beatles albums are my favorite. Mine too... Have to say, I'm not really interested, if They are mainstream or not. I like mainstream music, if it's good. I also listen to indie stuff, if it's good. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:24:25 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg...sorry about the sig file hey y'all, sorry about the huge signature fille that was appended to my postings... nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:58:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) (Fruvous reference, I know, but they're on the radio now) >and then Flansburgh screaming like a member of Rage Against >the Machine Oh don't stop!! This TMBG imagery is too much fun!! Picture it you guys, and don't tell me you almost spit out your coffee all over your computer monitor... >Uhh... looking over at my own >anally-arranged-in-release-order (nice to know I'm not the >only one!) collection of CD's, Hee hee. I do it too, you guys...The only section that's ever disorganized is TMBG, because I listen to them so much throughout the day, wherever I am, and when I finally put them back, I'm tired, and I really don't give a damn about organizing them.Plus the colors kinda don't compliment each other well. Among the regular releases, I have WDTSS and BTS, and now SEXXY. it looks weird, all this yellow-orange-black... >--nicole the wonder nerd >who's wondering what an 'apachie' is. As far as I know, it's a trailer like the one in my back yard, unless there's a 2nd definition...? ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Would a rat work for minimum wage; and wear a stupid purple uniform voluntarily?" - Scott Thompson, KITH ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:58:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as me >I do NOT have a problem with people who smoke pot or do >any other drug. It's okay, we won't jump on you. I think TMBGers (especially us cyber ones--- are there any others? ;)) Are the nicest, non-druggie people. Of course I could be wrong. But I don't get the impression that any of us are. I'm not and never plan to be. >I have noticed this disturbing trend on the list lately... why >does everyone feel that it is necessary to play TMBG for your >parents *snip* GOOD LORD! How many families do you see at >a concert now adays?*snip* Forget the geezers! REBEL >AGAINST YOUR PARENTS!!! Oh come on now. ;) I do it too, and I think I figured out. We want TMBG to be our own band, and not push it into the mainstream. But we want to share it with every living and breathing thing (my dog really likes it). So, the parents it can be shared with, without fear of starting a trend. I dunno, amybe that makes no sense.. Plus, it shows them you're not the stereo typical teen (or not teen, sorry) obsessed with mosh-pits. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "Well I swallowed a shoelace!" - Bruce McCulloch, KITH ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:58:32 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester show >>I just bought tickets to the December 29th show in Rochester! (I'll be driving up from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) Does anyone know if there'll be a free record store show that day? -Sean. << Good god I hope so!! I plan on asking all around. In fact, I think I'll do that now.. good boredom-activity. Let me go retrieve the phone book, and I'll let 'cha'll know... --- Ooooh! Sounds possible! I just called Media Play...nothing so far that he knows of, but he said they could try if the promotions manager hasn't already! :D I'll keep you all posted! :) Now I'll go call the _other_ local Media Play..hey, it can't hurt.. --- Okay, this person told me the guy I would want to talk to would be in tomorrow. Probably the promotions guy. This is fun. :) ps-- don't you mean you'll be driving *down*? ;) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Europe? Are They coming to Europe some day? And if, do They possibly visit Nordic countries? Roskilde festival, Stockholm of Helsinki? <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 11:15:23 -0600 From: Danny Jones I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, was introduced to TMBG through Flood. Now I have them all, but Flood is the gateway for me (as it was for many). What I am REALLY curious to know... are new fans being attracted by John Henry or Factory Showroom? Are there folks here who had never heard or liked TMBG until they heard John Henry or Factory Showroom? Mismirilda said that most of her friends got into them through John Henry. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that because I was afraid that die-hard fans only would enjoy John Henry and Factory Showroom... that perhaps they were not attracting new fans with those albums. So, which album got YOU into the group? Will anyone (besides Mismirilda) pipe up and say that John Henry or Factory Showroom was the album that made them fall in love with TMBG? ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Rap > after thinking some about it, ANYONE can write a rap song. Anyone can write a pop song too, but it would very likely be a bad pop song. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Revolver is an album, not a song > Is Revolver mainstream? No; even as a disc jockey myself, I can't say > that I recognize the name of that song. How long have you been a dj without having basic knowledge about pop music? <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Printing MIDI I can print MIDI to notations in the art school where I'm studying. There are several sequencer program for the purpose. Send MIDI-files to jab@pp.atlasnet.fi, I'll print them, scan them (300 dpi, 2- or 4-color gif-files), and put them in the WWW-directory of mine (http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/). <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: John Henry >> >Actually I'm very surprised to hear this! One of my first >> >reactions when I >> >first heard JH was 'this is one for the die hards'! It's nice to >> >be proven >> >wrong with such things!! >> > >No, my fellow Aussie, I agree with your first reaction. But, to be >fair I found this album to be sleeper (a couple of listens and I >found it to be quite superb). I hated the drum sounds first. But then I sampled some of them to my own songs, and noticed that they are great... Kinda soft sound, don't you think? Not very professional-sounding. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining > Tomorrow Never Knows is a very insane > psychedelic sort of song that has the special feature of being either > completely in the Key of C or John Lennon strumming away at the C-string > for the whole song, or something like that... It's a very odd song... One of my Beatles favourites. I don't very much like psychedelic pop of sixties, but the psychedelic songs by Beatles are great. Incredible! TMBG fans don't have even basic Beatles-knowledge! That's strange, because I think TMBG is very Beatles-flavored music. And don't say all pop music is, because it isn't true. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:01:03 +0000 Subject: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec > i am sorry to inform you, but tmbg is already mainstream. "Alternative" > has not existed since the alternative of the 80's, touring with Hootie does > not help thier image, and when the average "Joe" within the age group of > 10-35 knows of "Don't Let's Start," "Istanbul," etc. They are no longer of > the underground. Underground???? You mean you have heard Them been played in some smoky underground techno parties??? Actually, me and my roommates kept a party some time ago, where we played acid jazz and some jazzy TMBG songs. They sounded great between acid jazz sessions. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:52:28 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: TMBG: Fire drill I too have all my TMBG CDs arranged chronologically, first the LPs and then the (sadly mostly out of print) EPs. I dreamed last night I was running through a fire drill in my room and as dreams happen I am sure at some point that it became a real fire. Anyway the first thing I grabbed was my box of floppy discs containing all my writing and stuff, which is definitely the first thing I'd grab. After that I went right for the TMBG CDs. I think in real life I'd go round up my cats. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:14:52 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Black > [snip] I remember > around the time when there was a They Might Be Black show in Tennessee I > think it may have been Linnell off in Europe with his girlfriend so > Frank filled in. [snip] > Oooh, ooh!!! Two great artists coming together and playing a show. Anyone have any further details on this show? Setlist, time, place, how many people, etc? And does anyone happen to have a recording of this? If so, please e-mail me about it. Oh, man...that would be so cool to see. I have found that less people on this list like Frank Black, but I still love the man, and would really appreciate anyone with further knowledge of Frank on stage with Them. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I met a man He was a good man Sailing and shorin' Dancin' the beta can can..." --Frank Black, "Los Angeles" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:23:33 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec > Underground???? You mean you have heard Them been played in some > smoky underground techno parties??? Oh yeah. TMBG would fit in oh, so well with La Bouche and all that very repetitive crap...actually, who am I kidding? I love Moby, and he's just as repetitive...just cooler, I guess. > Actually, me and my roommates kept a party some time ago, where > we played acid jazz and some jazzy TMBG songs. They sounded great > between acid jazz sessions. > I always thought that some TMBG songs would work well at those kinds of parties. Perhaps the remix of "The World's Address" ("Somone in a club tonight has stolen my ideas..."heh), "The Famous Polka" (especially the superfast version, if they ever record it officially).....I could go on and on, but I won't, out of consideration for you people. See y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I don't remember you...I've changed a lot." --Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: Rapopular Date: Wed, 04 Dec 96 10:53:00 P I wouldn't call beck rap at all! If any thing, I would group beck more in the area w/ the Wonder Stuff, and They Might Be Giants. He does use alot of "rap type"drum beats, btu he is still far off from rap! Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:58:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: she's got three cars as many years as i've lived in the city In a message dated 96-12-04 03:30:24 EST, i8934669@mail.wsu.edu (Matthew K Puvogel) writes: > They are no longer of > the underground. > > We are groupies. (sp?) Somehow I don't think you will get a lot of agreement on this. I have carefully considered what you said and realized that there probably should be a word for the category of "between underground and mainstream." Perhaps obscure would be it. I think that if you talked to a lot of people and a majority recognized the thing you are talking about (whether it be a song, a band, a dance, a food, etc.), it would be mainstream. To say that something is underground refers to something that is intentionally hidden from the mainstream. When we think of underground music, we probably don't mean that they intentionally are hidden from the mainstream, it is probably due to the fact that they don't have a sound that could penetrate the mainstream. TMBG do have a sound that COULD penetrate the mainstream (read: sell a lot of records or make gold or platinum records). I don't believe that a record company would sign a band if they didn't believe that they could make money for them. This is why some bands are "underground" and probably won't change their sound that appeals to a very marginal audience. When their sound becomes more popular, then the record people will go looking for them. Or in the case of my neighbor who is a record executive, his label wants to find a band that is in that "next wave" and he has signed on bands that do a rap/rock thing. I think they don't sound that great. I do like some rap, but it's not because of the sometimes-violent/copkilling/gangbanging lyrics, it's because of the groove. There may be a groove I like and if I find the lyrics offensive, I won't listen to it. Why would you eat at a restaurant where they don't wash the dishes? In other words, why would you listen to music that promotes violence unless you like violence on your streets. I can tell you the people that don't dance to rap are the same people that drive around on my streets carrying guns and the younger set shot one of my windows in my car two days ago (they got some lady across the street, too). By the way, I am assuming it was the younger set because they used a BB gun. (By the way, in case you are wondering about the record exec...his BMW was not at home at the time...it was in the middle of the afternoon). OK, I'll get off my podium now!! :) BTW--My first album (mini-album) was Don't Let's Start...then I bought the first one... I was hooked by the video first. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: TMBG: My FS arrives in Britain! Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:12:06 +0000 (GMT) Yahhhh-oooo! gotitgotit!!! Wow, my very own Factory Showroom. I am still in shock, people! All send by that most wonderous of human beings, Matt James, as a contribution to us, the neglected and much mistreated brits around here. Oh the joy!! Thank you, Matt, I owe you one forever! My liddle cd has had an arduous trip: I can't be objective, I've only listened to it once, but I love all the glorious notes on it's head. Right now already. But I did notice an interesting phenomena. "oooh", said I, "I know this bit, something about a biscuit". Ahah, but my mind had not only recalled the lyrics to sexxy I'd read here, but translated them, sneakily, into British English. Hohum! thankyouthankyou again, Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 14:35:08 -0500 From: David Sheets Subject: Re: TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as >It's okay, we won't jump on you. I think TMBGers (especially us cyber ones--- >are there any others? ;)) Are the nicest, non-druggie people. Of course I >could be wrong. But I don't get the impression that any of us are. I'm not >and never plan to be. Well, that's a pretty big generalization... But I would be interested to know if it was more or less correct or not... I am probably the closest thing to an anti-drug person on any college campus now adays. I will probably never do any drugs and I tell those who do that they dissapoint me and suggest they try not to... [CONCERNING PLAYING MUSIC FOR PARENTS] >Oh come on now. ;) I do it too, and I think I figured out. We want TMBG >to be our own band, and not push it into the mainstream. But we want to >share it with every living and breathing thing (my dog really likes it). So, >the parents it can be shared with, without fear of starting a trend. I >dunno, amybe(sic) that makes no sense.. Plus, it shows them you're not >the stereo typical teen (or not teen, sorry) obsessed with mosh-pits. >~sarah :) >linnellgirl@tmbg.org My mom used to hate TMBG... My brother (26 now) played flood every once in a while in the car and my mom despised it. I really got into TMBG after my bro. went to college and I started playing all the different tapes each morning when me and my mom drove to work. She grew to love them. She just couldn't help herself she said, the tunes were so catchy... I think it's just nice to share something you love so much with those around you... Oh, on a totally seperate topic... Anyone here into punk rock (one my many musical loves)... if so, anyone see the Descendants now that they're back and touring... I've heard good stuff and I'm gonna try to go to the show on the 13th if I can change my dentist appointment... Also, anyone know of any nice punk rock related mailing lists... I love this TMBG one and wanna get some more of my old music back into my life... --David "Canadian-Bacon-Now-THAT's-Where-It's-At" Sheets ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: rem/tmbg popularity Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:41:22 -0500 (EST) I seem to remember in the mid-80s REM being very popular, especially in middle and high school. There were many fanatics up until Green and then I was no longer in high school so I dunno what happened to these folks. I used to like REM somewhat but after Green or probably after the Eponymous era they did seem to get drastically popular. Seems like those old days of REM, Social Distortion, and Dead Milkmen (and some other bands I can't remember) being popular and good are gone. TMBG has become more popular and accessible but it'd be hard for them to become huge successes of Hootie, REM, or any other big success 50,000 person stadium concert types. Methinks their music is just too varied and their styles are too uniquely peculiar to them and thus would not bring in a big enough crowd. But who knows... "We took the babies we knew, and the todlers we knew" Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:27:26 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Maintreamers, Side projects, Chicago NYE info needed! Hello 41- First point... I have said this before, but some of you probably haven't heard it before, so I'll say it again. All I really care about is if TMBG makes great music like they do. If they get to the point where they can play the huge stadiums and have their records go multi-platinum it's cool if they make great music. Whatever makes them happy will make me happy too. Side projects: I have heard this several times, but am still sketchy on it. Is TMBG the main project for Grahm and Eric? Or is it more like what Monopuff is to Flansburg? Chicago New Years- Now this presents a dillema. I would absolutley loooooove to see TMBG at the Hard Rock Cafe on New Years. But, I am scheduled to leave Chicago about a week before it happens. So I might reschedule my ticket so I can stay, but I don't know. Anyone know more info about the show? How long they will be on, if there will be lots of bands there? Will it be a dinner affair with expensive tickets or free admission? *^*x@)#<}x{>#(@*^*13~Blue~TMBG~Word~Simpsons*^*@)#<}x{>#(@x*^* Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. -Kinky Friedman Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: the famous person wears the same size water skis as me Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:30:09 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of KdsInThHal@aol.com: >It's okay, we won't jump on you. I think TMBGers (especially us cyber ones--- >are there any others? ;)) Are the nicest, non-druggie people. Of course I >could be wrong. But I don't get the impression that any of us are. I'm not >and never plan to be. I seem to remember reading the bigging of a drugs debate thread on here a few months back, and deleting the rest. :) Please check the mailing list archives on www.tmbg.org before repeating any o fthe arguments from there :) -CB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 14:35:31 -0800 From: ECKM1657 Organization: Lubbock Christian University Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks Kevin McGuire wrote: > > I was reading throught the letters on this list, and Mark Iles was > talking about a hidden track on Factory Showroom. How do you get to > it? Are there any hidden tracks on the other cd's? > > Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire > ^ ^ > | | > | | > | | > | | > --------------That's not butter!I discovered it yesterday. start with track one and rewind.ECKM1657@LCU.EDU ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:01:11 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: About Mainstream How I define Mainstream: 1. You're on a playlist at an X, Mix, or Jams station. 2. You appear on VH-1 during prime-time 3. People have actually heard of you, and can name one of your songs. Anyone care to disagree with this? Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg The most benevolent on the surface are often the most evil within. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:03:45 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc T cover.... On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > If I remember correctly, Flans made the Misc T letters out of papier mache > and photographed them on the floor and stairs of his apartment. I believe that Brian Dewan was doing TMBG photography at the time. Anyway, I think the letters are made of styrofoam (take a look at 'em...they're not paper) Speaking of Flansburgh's photography, this is what I can figure out he's done: 1. Hospital-type building on "Unsupervised" 2. (As Rolf Conant) Himself on the back of "Devil" Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg The most benevolent on the surface are often the most evil within. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:03:37 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article Ok... here is the article. It is quite long. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ They Might Be Giants: The Last Word by Tad Hendrickson CMJ (College Music Journal) issue 500 (November 25, 1996) pg. 67 (reprinted without permission) *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ They Might Be Giants are in the throes of a grind to support their new album, "Factory Showroom". On the eve of their departure for a month of gigs warming up for Hootie And The Blowfish, John Flansburgh sat down for a chat about the project he and high school friend John Linnell put together 13 years ago. Things have changed for They Might Be Giants since the early days, not the least of which is that they're now a full band with horn section. But despite these changes, TMBG proves with album number six that its primary purpose remains purveying intelligent, quirky and erudite pop music. In contrast to the one-dimensional nature of a lot of pop music, TMBG's songs beg investigation beyond the usual questions like, "What's this song about?", as the duo's songs attempt to open lines of communication between the audience and the songwriters. The irony inherent in the artist/fan relationship is not lost on Flansburgh. "We live in the same world that our audience lives in. So in a lot of ways we can communicate a lot more directly with them." He pauses before continuing: "I feel really weird about the fact that when you look in a record store, I'm in direct competition with Prince. I feel that Prince is clearly a star. The guy is super-naturally cool. He can dress badly and still be cool... To a certain extent we remind people of their brothers, or their friends who sit in their rooms all day working on tapes." They may look normal, but these guys took their bathroom tapes to the public, and turned pro in the process. Flansburgh and Linnell's songs are often criticized for depending on odd lyrical images and musical structures, their meaning open-ended and elliptical. "Sometimes it's hard to see the motivation behind a song. What level the intentions are at. This is probably the root of [our critics'] questions," explains Flansburgh. "For me, you can have really complicated motivations for what your driving at, but because it's compressed thought, like poetry, you really have to edit and focus to get your point across, and sometimes I think we failed. Sometimes we've confused and confounded people more than we communicated our ideas." TMBG's output might seem eccentric, if you don't contemplate the motivation behind a song, or ponder the success of its imagery. Initially the listener might enjoy a song solely for its references to past pop hits or its odd lyrics, but the Johns stretch the medium and force "our personal obsessions on the world," according to Flansburgh. And that's what songwriting is all about for these postmodern popsters. "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" doesn't actually explore Flansburgh's ability to hit the high notes; its "a plea for personal freedom, just as freedom of expression... The song is about wanting to be a weirdo. Yet on a more political level the song also acknowledges a political reality for women in a way that is very straightforward." It is this sort of multi-dimensional structure that makes TMBG's so appealing: they're immediately engaging, but the deeper you dig, the more you'll find. But there is a sense of irony at work in the music. Flansburgh and Linnell lift musical hooks and melodies from all over the place and alter them to suit their own point of view. For example, the string arrangements from "Factory Showroom's" opener, "S-E-X-X-Y" sound like they come from some disco classic. On "James K. Polk", the Johns set a biographical account of the life of Polk, our 11th president, to the drum beat of Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue." Within this seemingly straightforward narrative, however, lurks another meaning. "It becomes pretty apparent if you listen to the song a couple of times that the man was really a drag," explains Flansburgh. "I don't know, I know that there is more poetry in presenting songs in a way that allows space for the listener. All the rock music is didactic, its like preaching to the choir and that has no poetry for me." The complexity of TMBG's songs begs the questions of how two self-proclaimed normal guys find ways to push the envelope of pop music and fashion their poetry into catchy songs. "John and I collaborate on some stuff. But mostly we write pretty separately, but then work on the arrangements. Thats where our collaboration comes into play." The most intriguing method Flansburgh and Linnell use is taken from literature. "I've tried some things with John in the past few years based on the idea of 'exquisite corpse'. You know the game where you basically do a portion of something [writing] and hand it off, and another person will add to it sometimes without looking to see what you've done beforehand." Yet, as Flansburgh points out, "It's such an inorganic process." After spending a lot of time in the studio working on "Apollo 18" and "John Henry", the Johns decided to use the expanded TMBG lineup as a new way to write and arrange songs. For "Factory Showroom" the band set up residency at New York City's Mercury Lounge for a month of Wednesday night shows. Through band practice and the weekly shows, a new album came to life. "During those shows we sort of declared it a safe zone for fucking up. And it's not good to do that when you got a big ticket - the last thing people people want to see is [in an announcer's voice] 'The band who delivered disappointment all across the country.'" By the end of the month, Flansburgh and Linnell had 14 or 15 new songs and had hired a lead guitar player. These are surprising developments from this previously two-man operation, yet TMBG's fans know to expect the unexpected. Whichever approach they choose, They Might Be Giants deliver the goods in odd-shaped wrappers. The fact they're 13 years into their music career and their songs are both weird and catchy bodes well for the future of pop music, but it doesn't come without a sacrifice. "I feel that my life is very boring compared to my music. I work really hard to make music interesting, which in turn makes my life extremely routine." I suggest that it's probably better to make interesting music and have a boring life than making boring music and lead an interesting life. "Ah, I never thought of it that way." *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Thats all. I like to see what interesting threads come out of this. :) Later, Craig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:06:06 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker What's the difference? I heard Counterfeit Faker at the concert last night (It's the country song) And what's Counterfeit Fake that's gonna be on Then:?? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:12:06 -0500 Subject: TMBG: In US History Today, in US History, my teacher, Mr. Ford, asked us, "Who's the most successful American President?" One of the students said, "Lincoln" (TMBG reference #1), and the teacher said, "No, that's not who I was thinking of. I was thinking about someone who gained a lot of territory for the nation." And right then, I yelled out, "James K. Polk!" (TMBG reference #2) And I was right! I almost started quoting the song. Anyway, that was my little TMBG anecdote for the day. Chris ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not nec Date: Wed, 04 Dec 96 13:18:00 P I think that tmbg is neither mainstream, or underground. tons of people have heard of them. but not many people listen to them. That's just waht I've noticed. Brenden-nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:19:44 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Columbus Show 12/3 not a review, just some questions (it rocked, tho :): What did Flans say during Ana Ng (Saw this painted on a bridge...)? What was that Factory Showroom thing before XTCvAA? Also, some reflections on the concert... After JKP they played the ending again 'cause Flans screwed up. Then they went on saying they had to get it right. And their an obsessive-compulsive wash-their-hands-every-5-minutes band (And they touch all the sugar cubes in the dressing room before they come out :) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:21:59 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Evan Chakroff: >What's the difference? I heard Counterfeit Faker at the concert last night >(It's the country song) And what's Counterfeit Fake that's gonna be on Then:?? I'd assume that the Counterfeit Fake that will be on Then will be a version that is more similar to the version on Power of Dial-a-Song ("Hey Hey Counterfeit Fake/History wants you, they made a mistake") than to Counterfeit Faker as performed live ("Counterfeit Faker/The damage has been done"). They are different enough to be considered separate songs, although the early version of "I Palindrome I" on PoDAS is nothing like the recorded version, so who is to say they're not? -CB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:30:14 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Analy-Arranged Albums Mine too, but I put Misc T before Flood cause it just fits better (content-wise) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 13:23:39 -0800 From: kathleen faulconer <" rocket88"@ix.netcom.com> Subject: TMBG: Beatles, mainstream, parents etc.... Hi All, Well, I love these topics so I had to jump in on this! I know that anyone that read my TMBG-Michael Penn analogy already knows how I feel about TMBG's popularity..It couldn't hurt for them to have a hit song or sell a few more albums. I call it an insurance policy. There is a fine line between "obscure" and "no record label"! I doubt that a rise in popularity and name recognition (almost none around here!) would change Them much. They keep experimenting musically and I think that they would really *like* to have a hit record! They have been at it a LONG time now and I would be happy for them. I would also hate to see them at huge venues so.....I am selfish too! Here is a recent example of Their huge following in our neighborhood---We were at a neighbors house the day after we went to see Them..... My neighbor: I wish I knew that you were going! I really liked them! I hve their greatest hits album from the 70's! I can't believe that they are still together! Me:Uhhh...i think you are thinking of some other band. Maybe Gentle Giant? My Neighbor: NO! I'll show you! (goes over to his HUGE selection of CDs, all arranged in perfect order by the way) and pulls out a honest-to-goodness TMBG album!!!!!! Which one? Guess! FLOOD!!! OH, THAT greatest hit album from the 70's!!! Does it strike you as ironic that this is the only one of Their (or maybe anyones) records that says what year it was made at the begining! "a brand new record for 1990" Yea... he LOVES that band! As for my beloved Beatles.........I am a fan from day one. I can tell you that they became sooooo popular for several reasons: 1.They had a very new sound...clean pretty harmonies and simple lyrics that a lot of people could relate to. 2. Personality.....Fun loving, easy going, Marx brothers type of zanyness. 3.Cuteness factor...The girls loved them! (I was a screaming teenybopper and proud of it) 4. They looked different....Young boys wanted to look like them! I have gone too far on this but the point is that they came on to American radio and were instantly popular. As someone mentioned when we talked about the Beatles before........They went backwards. As they began to experiment they became "alternative" and lost a huge portion of their fans. I remember hearing Revolver for the first time 8^0! What the Hell! OH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Half of the songs suck! I never got used to "Tommorrow never knows" and don't get me started on "Number nine"(white album). Because I loved them I got over the horror but most of my friends never listened to them again!!! Some of their best work is from those albums but the worst is there too. The Beatles didn't need to sell albums anymore. These songs came from the experimentation that kept them together a little longer. J+J are, IMHO, very Lennon and mcCartney in many ways that I have stated before. That is part of Their great appeal for us. To answer the question simply: REVOLVER WAS NOT a mainstream album!!!!!!!!! As for the Parents thread........sigh....You guys! You KNOW that makes me feel bad! I turned my kids on to TMBG! What if they had been "rebeling" at the time? Look at what they would have missed! I tried to get my parents to like them too.. and they do! Ages 65+70. :) This works two ways you know! Kids-play Them for your parents! They may have something that you like to listen to also! Kathleen P.S. Our Canary "Al" is a big fan! I swear to God! He sings his little heart out every saturday morning! His favorite song? Birdhouse! I swear! To anyone that I accidently didn't respond to about Micheal Penn! Sorry! I screwed up and lost some mail! His first album is "March". That is the one I reccomend for new listeners. Thanks! Whew! That was way toooo long! I need more free time! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:39:57 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Cub in columbus >Worst (before this , Flans said "You may notice that I've changed shirts. > This is just to let you all know that it's never too late to buy a cub > t-shirt, located right outside the doors" and went into this big thing > making cub sound like Public Television, and talking about sending in > pledges to keep cub programming on the air :) Actually, didn't he say that PBS PLedge Drive thing sometime after the first time he said go buy cub stuff? And his shirt had 68 on it. Cub: Some thoughts... "Our first two songs were called 'Getting the mixing right'. And the next two are about sex." All their good songs sounded like tmbg, all their bad songs sounded like nothing. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:46:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? >What I am REALLY curious to know... are new fans being attracted by John >Henry or Factory Showroom? Are there folks here who had never heard or >liked TMBG until they heard John Henry or Factory Showroom? Mismirilda >said that most of her friends got into them through John Henry. I was >pleasantly surprised to hear that because I was afraid that die-hard fans >only would enjoy John Henry and Factory Showroom... that perhaps they >were not attracting new fans with those albums. Ok. Story time I'm a sophomore. This freshman I know had heard some of Flood and he was just "oh they're okay. Kinda funny." On a band bus trip he listened to FS all the way through and was just like "Wow." He particularly liked JKP. Wow. When I write a story, I don't make it long. Expecting more weren't you? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:50:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining > Incredible! TMBG fans don't have even basic Beatles-knowledge! >That's strange, because I think TMBG is very Beatles-flavored music. >And don't say all pop music is, because it isn't true. TMBG are more like the Beatles than anyone else (Even Oasis, who based their whole sound on the beatles (arguable)) They are even simmilar in how they got started and (kindof) the way things work in the band (two guys write songs..)<--- Of course I know John and Paul didn't write ALL the songs, but they wrote most of them, and most of the good ones. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:59:15 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati Show 12/5 I'll be there i will be at the show tomorrow nite.... i missed cleveland & columbus ($) and the cool green shirt with "green jello" football style looked HORRIBLE!!!! and they wanted charge me $15 for it.. so i said stuff it!! i'll have on a name tag... come up and say hi!!! see you all there!!!! -- Green Jello Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" Jake: "Hit it!!!" from "The Blues Brothers" http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:01:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: The Beatles although, how long does a thread go on before it becomes non-tmbg? Anyway, IMO The best Beatles stuff is from their later albums in which they were experimenting. I would not buy Anthology 1. I cannot stand Love Me Do, or I Want To Hold Your Hand (or whatever it's called) I like Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album, and I LOVE Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Maybe what They need is to do a theme album. (although it wasn't really a theme album, but it could've been.) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:21:02 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Hello, excuse me, hey!" Matthew James wrote: > > > >Ah, yes, but what continent is Istanbul (not Constantinople) on? > > > > Or, better yet, what are the three most commonly spoken languages in Istanbul? > I looked in the dictionary and it did, indeed, say that Turkey was in > Eastern Europe and Western Asia, so I guess Istanbul is on 2 > continents. Not to be vindictive or anything, but I said that a week or two or so ago. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:45:35 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: TMBG: Hello CDs ............................................................................... I haven't received any new Hello CDs in months. The last one I got was for July. Has anyone else received a new one since then? Also, has anyone received their autographed Mono Puff CD? Scott ............................................................................ ..... ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:00:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article In a message dated 96-12-04 16:09:34 EST, whyte@TCNJ.EDU (Pudge) writes: > Whichever approach they choose, They Might Be Giants deliver the goods in > odd-shaped wrappers. The fact they're 13 years into their music career > and their songs are both weird and catchy bodes well for the future of > pop music, but it doesn't come without a sacrifice. "I feel that my life > is very boring compared to my music. I work really hard to make music > interesting, which in turn makes my life extremely routine." I suggest > that it's probably better to make interesting music and have a boring > life than making boring music and lead an interesting life. "Ah, I never > thought of it that way." Whatever happened to writing an article that didn't involve the journalist? (Jesus, I sound like an old fart:) Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:18:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: TMBG: plans hey hey hey! did you see the mesasge that says that there is no tmbg shoe in NJ on new year's??? yay! well, just becasue now we can really try to get matt to come...better than going to chicago, eh? heheeh, bye...(and hoping this party won't cost TOO much...) --fran i ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:17:29 +1100 I first heard the self titled album and Lincoln back in the Eighties at a friends place in Auckland. At the time They were very intriguing, but I thought They were some strange country and western band. It wasn't until I was living in Brisbane that I heard a great little compilation of They're songs (including Ana Ng, DLS, NOSM, Mr Klaw, Puppet Head, Purple Toupee, Boat of Car and a few others) that I got hooked. You can imagine my disappointment when I couldn't find that album! They then toured, and I ended up buying Flood - my first ever CD. Just had to get a CD player then... Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic >---------- > ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG CMJ Article Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:18:54 +1100 >"I've tried some things with John in the past few years based on the idea >of 'exquisite corpse'. You know the game where you basically do a >portion of something [writing] and hand it off, and another person will >add to it sometimes without looking to see what you've done beforehand." >Yet, as Flansburgh points out, "It's such an inorganic process." I wonder if this is how They made up the lyrics for 'Exquisite Dead Guy'?!?!! > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:23:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: plans ooops. sorry about that, you can tell it wasn't supposed to go to the list. *blush* well, now that you all know (hehe) write to matt james and tell him to get his butt to totonot for new year's! thanks. :) --fran i ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:37:03 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: Linnell in love I heard that Linnell has a girlfriend and they both really dig scubadiving. thats all! Heather ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:55:27 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" >But I do think in the Don't Lets Start video at one point he looks like >(ominous dun dun duunnn!) Bob Saget! (It's the part where he's shown >about to blow up the accordian and he has a weird smile on his face) >Anyone else think this? He does, a bit. Watch the Put YOur Hand Inside The Puppet Head video-- there's this shot near the beginning that makes Linnell look sorta like Lyle Lovett. Does anyone else think that the b&w close-up of J&J in the middle of They'll Need A Crane, right when J sings "didn't mean to say nightmare" is absolutely GORGEOUS?? I always scream "HOLD THAT SHOT!!!" whenever I watch it. >I have noticed this disturbing trend on the list lately... why does >everyone feel that it is necessary to play TMBG for your parents / family >or take them to concerts? GOOD LORD! How many families do you see at a >concert now adays? (Unless it's like Beach Boys or Lawrence Welk or >something...) Forget the geezers! REBEL AGAINST YOUR PARENTS!!! Watch it, buck-o, you'll alienate the Folk Family. :) If it's any comfort, my own personal parents and big sister refer to TMBG as "the noise" and exhort me to turn it off whenever I have it on. I'll convert them yet-- I caught my sister humming "Cowtown" the other day. > cool band alert "Moxy Fruvous" Amen to that sentiment. >Well, I'm still a new Moxy fan, and I've only got "Bargainville". What else >do they have out. They have three albums out, total. Their second album "wood" and their third album, "The B Album" (analagous (sp?) to Misc. T.) are not available in the States. Contact me if you'd like to trade for dubs; I have all three albums on CD. >And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. >Wow, that makes two of us on the list who know of MOA? Neato. Let's see >how many others we can find. Three. I've had _Your Weight On The Moon_ for six months now. Great stuff! >Paraguay Yippee! It's Nicole the Wonder Nerd's favorite country! Rohayhu Paraguay! Hokay, everyone, this is going to sound like the muthah of all weird requests. Does anyone know if Tori Amos t-shirts are available in baby sizes, and, if so, where can I find them? Please e-mail me privately. --nicole the wonder nerd will make you go insane. *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been." --Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:35:10 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" > Watch the Put YOur Hand Inside The Puppet Head video-- there's this shot > near the beginning that makes Linnell look sorta like Lyle Lovett. > Does anyone else think that the b&w close-up of J&J in the middle of They'll > Need A Crane, right when J sings "didn't mean to say nightmare" is > absolutely GORGEOUS?? I always scream "HOLD THAT SHOT!!!" whenever I > watch it. > You know, I'm going to have to admit that Linnell does look really cool, and yes, even attractive, in that shot in "They'll Need a Crane." And in general, a lot of those shots in that video are really well done, from a filmmaker's standpoint. Eat your heart out, Frank Capra...(and I hope to God nobody comes back with "Who's that?"....) As to the Lyle Lovett thing...perhaps. You never do know...see y'all later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Because there's forty different shades of black...so many fortresses and ways to attack..." --Pavement ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:43:10 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) > >and then Flansburgh screaming like a member of Rage Against > >the Machine > Oh don't stop!! This TMBG imagery is too much fun!! Picture it you guys, and > don't tell me you almost spit out your coffee all over your computer > monitor... This could definitely be entertaining(and scary). You know, if Flans screamed more and used tons distortion, and was really whiny he could sound like Billy Corgan. "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a little bird-- uhhh, rat in a CAGE!" Or scarier still, imagine John Linell with a fishbowl haircut and british accent trying very very very hard to sound like the beatles. "Don't-don't lets look back in anger, I heard you say...." Even scarier than that, four words: They Might Be Alanis. you never know..... BTW, I kinda like smashing pumpkins, so don't be offended if you're a pumpkin fan(like there are any pumpkins fans on this list). -- "I'd rather be anywhere than doing anything"-REM Jonah ------------------------------ From: Anakin Skywalker Subject: TMBG: Cya! Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:49:24 -0600 (CST) Later, everyone... With finals coming up rapidly, I really don't have time to cope with more rounds of mainstreamosity, etc, etc, etc.... Off to the digest I go! I'll be back after Christmas, perhaps... -CJ May the force be with you. Justification: / "Your mother ate my dog!" "Well, not ALL of it..." - From TMBG / the movie "Dead Alive" (also called "Braindead") ~"'`'`'~"'`"~"~"^ *'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*. WOW: Sphygmomanometer http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez -- Anakin Skywalker -- anakin@vader.snc.edu ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:04:27 +1100 > > >BTW, I kinda like smashing pumpkins, so don't be offended if you're a pumpkin >fan(like there are any pumpkins fans on this list). You'd be surprised with the types of music that others listen to!! Though I still haven't heard anyone speak their undying gratitude's for Pop Will Eat Itself... BTW, you'd have to try very hard to GET offended by someone you have never met in your life saying that they don't like the music you like (apart from TMBG, of course!!). Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic "Sample it Loop it Fuck it Eat it And spit it out!" - The Incredible PWEI > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Man....or Astroman? and Cleveland fun From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:04:14 EST On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:01:55 -0500 (EST) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >think it may have been Linnell off in Europe with his girlfriend so >Frank filled in. Or was this Flans who was off in Europe? I can't >remember. Linnell's a smooth guy with looks and talent so he probably >has a chick-friend. I read the same thing in a letter that Flans wrote which can be found on the Official TMBG Web Page. Flans said that Linnell had booked a flight to spend the holidays in Europe, although it was never mentioned that he was going to spend the holidays with a girlfriend. Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:04:14 EST On Wed, 4 Dec 96 11:15:23 -0600 Danny Jones writes: >I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like >many, >was introduced to TMBG through Flood. Now I have them all, but Flood >is >the gateway for me (as it was for many). >So, which album got YOU into the group? Will anyone (besides >Mismirilda) >pipe up and say that John Henry or Factory Showroom was the album that > >made them fall in love with TMBG? Actually, my husband first introduced me to Lincoln a few years ago and I loved it, although John Henry is actually my favorite album by Them (Lincoln runs a close second). My husband doesn't like John Henry or Factory Showroom as much as Self-titled or Lincoln and judging by the first few posts I read when I joined the list, I sort of assumed that because They added a full band that many of their die hard fans preferred their older material to their newer stuff. Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:05:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest Is it just me, or would this be a dream music fest?? They Might Be Giants Aimee Mann Matthew Sweet (these above three hae played together in the past- at Pointfest in St. Louis a few years ago) Tori Amos BareNaked Ladies The Cranberries Juliana Hatfield Am I crazy or would this not be one rocking music fest? =) Smile! Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ From: Greg Nicholson Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 21:14:09 EST Does anyone know yet whether there will be a record store show in conjunction with the upcoming 9:30 Club show? Greg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:46:30 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell in love I honestly am not totally sure where I heard this.. maybe in a chat room? (cowtown?) I featured it in Gossip Corner of my magazine, "Splink!" Heather ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:03:38 -0600 Subject: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Danny Jones wrote: > > I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, OK, I may be the ONLY one here who this is the truth for, but I'd have to say that Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG, the episode where they did a sort of MTV thing (quoth Buster Bunny "And here's another one by They Might Be Giants, doing Particle Man! Who are these guys?" :) All I had to do was see that episode and I was intrigued, went out and bought flood, but it was the show that did it, anyone else remember that episode? Sir Drywall ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:06:34 -0600 (CST) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: mistake lyrics On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 FamousName@aol.com wrote: > I could have sworn that the lyrics in Pet Name that go: > > Waiting at the bus stop for just about an hour > Strategies for hangman, cat's cradle, origami > > actually went: > > Waiting at the bus stop for just about an hour > Strategies for hangman, cat's cradle, OR A GUMMI (as in gummi bears!) > > Silly moi!! > > Joseph > That could have been a simple mistake if Linnel sang it, because he has that weird habit of pronouncing all his vowels as a 'u' sound. I dunno. Just wanted to comment. =) Brandon P.S. If you don't know what I mean: "I am a snake head eating the head on the uppisite (opposite) side." ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mainstreamlining Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:37:22 -0500 (EST) > > > Incredible! TMBG fans don't have even basic Beatles-knowledge! > >That's strange, because I think TMBG is very Beatles-flavored music. > >And don't say all pop music is, because it isn't true. > > TMBG are more like the Beatles than anyone else (Even Oasis, who based > their whole sound on the beatles (arguable)) > They are even simmilar in how they got started and (kindof) the way things > work in the band (two guys write songs..)<--- Of course I know John and > Paul didn't write ALL the songs, but they wrote most of them, and most of > the good ones. I would say XTC is more Beatle-like than TMBG or any other band I can think of. Colin Moulding and Andy Partridge started out writing and singing (yes Colin sings) like John & John and Paul & John, but George wrote some great songs too. After all, Skylarking is the 1980's version of Sgt. Pepper's. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: gonk@valley.net Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:47:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Videos and performances and tapes oh my! Ok. I was watching Empteevee a few minuites go, and an ad for Entertainment weekly came on. It showed one of those 70's cds and video clips for each song. When Macho man came on, I swear it was the same place as the puppet head video. Coincidence? When they perform, has anyone ever seen Linnel on Flansies right? I have only seen it once on letterman. I think it has something to do wwith Flansy being a southpaw. If you sent an inquiry for the Hatch shell video a few months ago, don't worry, I haven't forgotten you, but my comp was down and tommorow I'll have it back and we'll be back to buisness. ------------------------------ From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 23:20:40 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Det. Dave here... > >And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. > >Wow, that makes two of us on the list who know of MOA? Neato. Let's see > >how many others we can find. > Three. I've had _Your Weight On The Moon_ for six months now. Great stuff! Four. Experiment Zero is the only MOA album I've got. There's a really cool cover of Television Man from the Talking Heads on it. Just for those of you who don't know who MOA are, think aliens from outer space who play surf guitar music (Dick Dale) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 22:39:13 -0600 From: "Brandin di Chiara, King of the Western Palm" Subject: TMBG: parentS. my parents are somewhat giants fans... they have gone with me and my friends two seperate times to see Them, and almost a third. i've also enforced a TMBG bumper sticker on every car at my house policy, so both of my parents have them on their cars... paul ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 23:52:51 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Fnord!" >Anyway, I like the S-E-X-X-Y radio mix a *lot* better than the album mix. >It just sounds better. They upped the base and treble, which is nice, but that cymbal gets on my nerves a little. I also miss the string fadeout ... but the changes are really pretty minor. >SenSurround is wonderful. Unforgotten is well, okay. The first time I listened to the new SenSurround, I thought "What the hell have they done?" It's grown on me, now ... the funky middle bit is actually pretty good. I still prefer the original, but they did a better job remaking this one than JKP. Unforgotten is good if sort of dull and, well, forgotten. I like this version a lot better than the live version I have -- I think it's JL's vocal delivery. >What's the deal with the kiddie piano on "I've got a World that >Swings?" I like the song tho. I think it's kinda cute. >The S-E-X-X-Y dance mix is weird, but better than Josh Fried's >The World's Address. I actually kinda like it. It's definitely my favorite of TMBG's dance remixes, because to some degree they stuck to that disco paradigm and, instead of going all out on the cheesy dance music regulars, tempered them with some older-sounding stuff. >I don't see >the connection between this song and ohhh. whatever song that is in that TMBG >signs... It doesn't come to mind but I think it is on Misc. T... The song is It's Not My Birthday and the relevance is the line "When this grey world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll never see that recipe again." In other words, he doesn't *want* to bake another cake, errr, world, errr, whatever. >what is this Carmen Sandiego? Did they contribute one of their >songs to a children's album? It's just Why Does The Sun Shine? The album *does* have a rather cute and also rather too sexually suggestive for a children's album song by XTC called "Cherry in Your Tree." >Who are those people talking between "For Science" & "Hotel Detective" on >Mics.. T? Check the TMBG FAQ, your source for all your questions which have already been asked 1000000000 times. Josh Don't have to be what I want at all... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 23:53:54 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... >of course, I'll probably >get mostly agreement here - don't know of too many overlapping TMBG/rap >fans. :) Our dear departed Shep was one. >Indeed you are correct!! There's the world that Warner releases Factory >Showroom, and then there's the world outside where WEA doesn't. This brings to mind a certain "in-joke" from R.E.M.'s album packaging. In every CD, they include in the "distributed by" line some sort of variation on the line "Distributed in what is known as our world by..." Anyway, in their most recent album it says "Distributed on the surface world by..." >Is Revolver mainstream? No; even as a disc jockey myself, I can't say that I >recognize the name of that song. That's because Revolver is an album. :) Most famous songs are "Elanor Rigby" and "Yellow Submarine." >Many of the things *you* all like, Bare Naked Ladies, etc. are >out of the mainstream. Um, BNL non-mainstream? If they're out of the mainstream, I'd hate to hear something that is *in* it. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 23:14:09 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... > >Indeed you are correct!! There's the world that Warner releases Factory > >Showroom, and then there's the world outside where WEA doesn't. > > This brings to mind a certain "in-joke" from R.E.M.'s album packaging. In > every CD, they include in the "distributed by" line some sort of variation > on the line "Distributed in what is known as our world by..." Anyway, in > their most recent album it says "Distributed on the surface world by..." > And then there's Matador Records. I'm not sure if all of their albums are like this, but I know that Thinking Fellers Union Local 282's records and maybe even Pavement's say "Copyright xxx, All Rights Reserved, All Wrongs Reversed..." Oh, those wacky record label folks at Matador... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 00:17:37 -0500 From: Bill Laird Subject: TMBG: For all going to the Cincy show tomorrow (12/5/96) If you're going to the Cincinnati show tomorrow, I WILL be there. I will be wearing my Tony Millionaire "drinking Bird" T-shirt and carrying a sign that says "Go middle-sized star!" on it. I am about 6' tall and have black hair and a beard. Call me "Bill" Sensurround ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:08:14 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Counterfeit Fake/Faker An angle in the form of Chris Bongaarts came to me in a dream and wrote: > > They are different enough to be considered > separate songs, although the early version of "I Palindrome I" on > PoDAS is nothing like the recorded version, so who is to say they're > not? > Well, it is about time someone else mentioned that. Whenever I say that they look at me like I'm crazy (I can't see them, but they act like I'm crazy) then I say "different music, different lyrics." but they pay no heed. I also think there should be an 2 I Palinrome I 2 or origional or something, so I can see the lyrics, some parts are harder to make out. WAIT! I just remembered this: A while back someone sent mail saying they had a bunch of DAS recordings, but no web space to put it up on he then said hint hint. Later, someone who had come into unlimited webspace said hint taken and blabered some other stuff I can't remember. Was a Page set up? Sorry if this was already posted, sometimes I miss long strings of mail. Oh Well, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 00:26:38 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: John Henry > I always thought, and still do think, that John Henry is Their > least imaginative album by far. You may be right about that. I have always considered JH to be the closest thing to selling out that They have ever done. (possible exception: S-E-X-X-Y) I mean, just listen to the music. What happened to all the accordians and horns? Almost all the music is guitar. I'm not saying this is bad, but it's just that thats what ALL the other bands do. Theres hardly any other band that uses anything but guitars and scratchy voices to get their point across. This may sound like I hate JH. I don't, in fact my favorite song (AKA Driver) is on it. I just like some other albums more. Some less (FS) Remember, keep an open mind. That is not to saw that your mind(s) are narrow, but I think you know what I mean. -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | -------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:14:18 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Hello CDs An angel in the form of Scott A. Dodson came to me in a drea and wrote: > I haven't received any new Hello CDs in months. The last one I got was for > July. Has anyone else received a new one since then? Also, has anyone > received their autographed Mono Puff CD? No. But I recently sent Hello some Email complaining ( at helloclub@aol.com w/out the underscore. When I sent w/an underscore it was returned (hello_club instead)) asking about that, and also my problems with the missing hello the band CD in my '93 back order. So when I get a reply, I'll forward it to the list. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 01:22:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings In a message dated 96-12-04 23:56:12 EST, particle@servtech.com (Joshua Hall-Bachner) writes: > The song is It's Not My Birthday and the relevance is the line "When this > grey world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll > never see that recipe again." In other words, he doesn't *want* to bake > another cake, errr, world, errr, whatever. What is the reference here? There seems to be some reference to a song that I have forgotten who it was from. The lyrics say something about the rain and the cake melting and "I'll never have that recipe again." I try to think of it, but I keep getting It's Not My Birthday instead. I think it's either a disco song from Donna Summer or Carly Simon or something like that. WHAT IS IT????!!! Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 01:33:31 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings >What is the reference here? There seems to be some reference to a song that I >have forgotten who it was from. The lyrics say something about the rain and >the cake melting and "I'll never have that recipe again." I try to think of >it, but I keep getting It's Not My Birthday instead. I think it's either a >disco song from Donna Summer or Carly Simon or something like that. WHAT IS >IT????!!! From "MacArthur's Park" - MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark Someone left the cake out in the rain I don't think that I can take it Because it took so long to bake it And I'll never have that recipe agaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnn..... Just trying to help. =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:53:27 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug I fear that if TMBG became "mainstream," a lot more of us would be more turned off than we'd like to believe. It already slightly shows in the fact that most everyone here likes Flood the least, even though it is a very strong, diverse, and wonderful album. Most people find it overplayed, and therefore it is "mainstream." But it is definitely a strong sampling of They music. So would we indeed be loyal, even if the music stayed the same? Personally, I would try to be loyal; I'm sure that the music wouldn't change. I would also love to see them become popular. But, at the same time, I would be scared. "Mainstreaming" seems to take a pattern: 1) Obscurity 2) Fast Catching On 3) Extremely Popular/Household Name 4) Starting To Get Annoying 5) Becomes Laughable/Subject Of Jokes/Pitiful/Uncool. And then no one wants to hear about it ever again, except when discussing pop culture trivia. I can think of many many examples, but U2 comes to mind in the case of my friend. He liked U2 until recently; he thought they hit bottom when they had a song on the Batman Returns soundtrack. I believe U2 has been able to retain respectability because they aren't quick-fads like, oh, say, Macarena, the '90's hula hoop; however, everyone knows who U2 are and some (especially bandwagon fans) have even found it cool to dislike them. As for They Might Be Giants, I would be less hurt if only a few people found it cool to dislike them (as is the case now) than if the whole world found it cool to dislike them (as would be the case if "mainstreaming" occurred). [By the way, I am NOT knocking U2; they just occurred to me as an example because of my friend's comment.] One more note, regarding the Beatles (non-They): Beatles can be considered mainstream to an extent, but I think they've transcended that. They do have a lot of respect. Post-Beatles stuff gets made fun of a lot, but it's always cool to like the Beatles. And, once more, to clear up the album confusion: Revolver is the excellent weird middle-period album that, it seems, the new generation fans find it most cool to like (it came up a lot as a fave of many younger fans such as myself). The variety on this album talks to me in the same way the variety on the TMBG albums do. It may talk to you, too. These are the songs on it, for the record: Taxman / Eleanor Rigby / I'm Only Sleeping / Love You To / Here, There and Everywhere / Yellow Submarine (original release)/ She Said She Said / Good Day Sunshine / And Your Bird Can Sing / For No One / Doctor Robert / I Want To Tell You / Got To Get You Into My Life / Tomorrow Never Knows. ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-333 ******************************