Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-334 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 334 Friday, 6 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Cleveland show Re: TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert! TMBG: Very Beatles Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? (none) Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest (fwd) TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? (fwd) TMBG: in rolling stone TMBG: philly date again? Re: TMBG: Very Beatles Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... TMBG: I have the weirdest thoughts... Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" TMBG: mainstream TMBG: just another opinion on Cleveland Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" TMBG: I want to see the videos TMBG: Amy's concert review TMBG: ((Jh & Fs)--> Mx) TMBG: Troubled thoughts Re: TMBG: parentS. Re: TMBG: Very Beatles Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Fnord!" Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... Re: TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug TMBG: Rolling Stone, vinyl Lincoln, Beatles, etc. Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: Setlists/Boots of Ohio shows? TMBG: Granville OH- Denison University Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: mainstreaming it Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: Very Beatles Re: TMBG: ((Jh & Fs)--> Mx) Re: TMBG: Very Beatles TMBG: rochester tmbg show info TMBG: a journalist freak who must DIE, DIE, DIEEEEE!!!!! Re: TMBG: rochester tmbg show info TMBG: Reuniting musicfest TMBG: Kiddie piano Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: Re: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... TMBG: Bein' Weird TMBG: Ack! Re: TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you?..."musicfest" TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Re: TMBG: Reuniting musicfest Re: TMBG: Very Beatles TMBG: Re: St. Louis shows & Man or Astroman TMBG: Fruvous Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Re: TMBG: More Mainstream Re: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings TMBG: Re: Mainstreamlining Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: disappointed and distraught Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: another thought on mainstream TMBG: Reuniting musicfest RE: TMBG: disappointed and distraught TMBG: Musicfest, How I got hooked Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught TMBG: Linnell vowels Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught TMBG: "hooked on TMBG" Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Re: TMBG: rochester tmbg show info TMBG: Chicago NYE info TMBG: Them on Muppets Tonite! TMBG: concert fears Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught TMBG: Syd Straw Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: another thought on mainstream TMBG: Setlists (as taken from tape) for St. Paul and Mil TMBG: Banners! TMBG: kiss me? Re: TMBG: Setlists/Boots of Ohio shows TMBG: Re: a journalist freak who must DIE, DIE, DIEEEEE!!!!! TMBG: Re: disappointed and distraught TMBG: Rapping? Re: TMBG: kiss me? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 03:11:48 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show Well, I was there, and it was good. Since I reviewed the columbus show so much, I'll let someone else do this one. Although I do want to say that the sound was *much* better at the Agora and I like cub a lot more. I got to meet Ryan Staib and his sister and two of his friends, and they were great people! I also met up with Boba at the show and he got a great tape of it. But now I'm tired and cold (my car's heater decided to stop working for the 3 hour drive back from Cleveland) and still not sure if I'm going to the Cincinnati show. Talk to you all soon! Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Helpful Hint: A bad place to store your emergency backup diskette is on the underside of your desk drawer, secured by a large magnet. ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 02:31:19 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Wow! Just got back from Milwaukee Concert! Court Schuett wrote: >During their encore, Flans came right down in front of me, and handed me >his pick!!!! Then, he held out his guitar, and let me play it! For what >seemed to me a really long time. :) It was soooo cool. I was about three people behind you! Man were you lucky! Just out of curiosity, does the pick have "Flans" written on it? And on a side note, did anyone stop to eat at Perkins a few hours before the Milwaukee show? If so, I was your waiter. I always flip when I see a TMBG t-shirt! Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 13:42:48 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: TMBG: Very Beatles Evan Chakroff (and someone else before that) wrote: >>Incredible! TMBG fans don't have even basic Beatles-knowledge! >>That's strange, because I think TMBG is very Beatles-flavored music. >TMBG are more like the Beatles than anyone else (Even Oasis, who based >their whole sound on the beatles (arguable)..... Everytime I hear How Can I Sing Like A Girl it reminds me of The Beatles' Free As A Bird, and quite a few of my mates - who all remember Birdhouse and Istanbul but no other songs - think so too. You see, I too am trying to convert people to the gospel accordion to John and John. Phil Moss ========= I write my .sig everytime by hand I don't know why, but I do ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:54:51 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Same goes for me. :> I remember that episode and loved it the first time I saw it. I was in a record store a year or 2 later and for some reason that episode came back to mind... I looked under They Might Be Giants...and lo and behold, there was Flood, which had both Particle Man and Istanbul. I listened to that for around 2 years until I got obsessive and started buying all of Their stuff that I could get my hands on. TTYL, -Adam Tyner At 09:03 PM 12/4/96 -0600, you wrote: > >OK, I may be the ONLY one here who this is the truth for, but I'd have >to say that Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG, the episode where they did a >sort of MTV thing (quoth Buster Bunny "And here's another one by They >Might Be Giants, doing Particle Man! Who are these guys?" :) All I had >to do was see that episode and I was intrigued, went out and bought >flood, but it was the show that did it, anyone else remember that >episode? /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: stay8049@bureau.ucc.ie Date: 05 Dec 1996 14:12:32 +0000 (GMT) ok so, i'm a newie - but a long time lurker. - tmbg fans non-druggies?? i would have to disagree, or else i have a lot of disreputable acquaintances....hmmm funny that. - tmbg - are they playing in ireland at all?? i know hootie and .. are, but i suppose our boys wont venture this far (i know they did before but that was ages ago moan, moan) - to somebodys suggestion of the ideal line up tmbg and basically alot of other inferior prducts- especially the cranberries- i'd just like to say i think they are the worst/most overrated band to have ever emerged frm the bogs of our country - linnell had agirlfriend- but i dumped him bye for now vale. ps someone had a sort of irish twist to their sig.-eireann go brath has it fallen into disfavour? i have none( sig not disfavour) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:28:17 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > I always thought, and still do think, that John Henry is Their > > least imaginative album by far. > > You may be right about that. I have always considered JH to be the > closest thing to selling out that They have ever done. (possible > exception: S-E-X-X-Y) I mean, just listen to the music. What happened > to all the accordians and horns? Almost all the music is guitar. I'm What happened to the horns?! John Henry is the "horniest" of any TMBG album. It is the first album that has a whole section of trumpets and saxes used on lots of songs. (just had to point that out) I do agree it has less variety of sounds than other albums, because of the lack of samples and studio tricks, but there are some new sounds (for TMBG) too--the full band with horns, the organ instead of accordion, the barbershop group Hudson Shad. And there is a huge variety of songs, even if they are all treated in a live, full-band sort of way. I think it's a great album, and that it was *very* imaginative for them to come out with such a big impressive album, all performed and recorded so differently from their previous works. If They were trying to sell out, they would have tried to re-make Flood, their most popular album. (and don't tell me that's what Apollo 18 is!) -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:35:28 -0500 (EST) > In a message dated 96-12-04 23:56:12 EST, particle@servtech.com (Joshua > Hall-Bachner) writes: > > > The song is It's Not My Birthday and the relevance is the line "When this > > grey world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll > > never see that recipe again." In other words, he doesn't *want* to bake > > another cake, errr, world, errr, whatever. > > What is the reference here? There seems to be some reference to a song that I > have forgotten who it was from. The lyrics say something about the rain and > the cake melting and "I'll never have that recipe again." I try to think of > it, but I keep getting It's Not My Birthday instead. I think it's either a > disco song from Donna Summer or Carly Simon or something like that. WHAT IS > IT????!!! McArthur Park, it's MacArthur Park!! Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my patience because these things are asked over and over again but then I realize tht there are new people coming onto this list and I suddenly regain control ;) It is a FAQ answer, though (if memory serves) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 09:15:35 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest (fwd) on dec 4 Juliet wrote: __________________________________ They Might Be Giants Aimee Mann Matthew Sweet (these above three hae played together in the past- at Pointfest in St. Louis a few years ago) Tori Amos BareNaked Ladies The Cranberries Juliana Hatfield Am I crazy or would this not be one rocking music fest? =) Smile! Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." Definately! How do you get better than that. Shoot i think It'd be all right if it was just Tori and TMBG. nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | Is it just me, or would this be a dream music fest?? They Might Be Giants Aimee Mann Matthew Sweet (these above three hae played together in the past- at Pointfest in St. Louis a few years ago) Tori Amos BareNaked Ladies The Cranberries Juliana Hatfield Am I crazy or would this not be one rocking music fest? =) Smile! Helen =) "My bounty is as boundless as the sea; My love as deep; For the more I give thee The more I have; For both are infinate." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 09:16:53 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? (fwd) that episode is probably the one of tiny toons that I even still remember. that one is a classic nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:03:38 -0600 From: mattm@mixcom.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Subject: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Danny Jones wrote: > > I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, OK, I may be the ONLY one here who this is the truth for, but I'd have to say that Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG, the episode where they did a sort of MTV thing (quoth Buster Bunny "And here's another one by They Might Be Giants, doing Particle Man! Who are these guys?" :) All I had to do was see that episode and I was intrigued, went out and bought flood, but it was the show that did it, anyone else remember that episode? Sir Drywall ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: in rolling stone Date: Thu, 05 Dec 96 07:38:00 P I was looking througha rolling stones magazine the other day, I a rad picture of TMBG was in it. I was pretty pumped so I secretly tore it out w/out letting the managment see. Anyways. Flans is wearing this rad striped shirt, AND GUESS WHAT?? I had bought one exactly like it about a month ago. So I was quite proud of myself in my extremely good taste in dressing. except that I hadn't thought of wearing it w/ a suit. HMM. Also, has anyone seen the vynal Lincoln? Becuase on the little circle in the middle Flans and Linnell are pictured. They are wearing these mass tall hats. Are they the same ones from the Don't Lets Start video???? Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 10:40:59 -0500 (EST) From: Renee L Grebe Subject: TMBG: philly date again? i'm here in pittsburgh, and tmbg are coming here on the 14th, but that's the day i'm leaving to go home to philly. does anyone out there know if they're coming back again to philly, even though they were just there in october!? could someone that might know that info email me one way or the other so that i know? it's breaking my heart that i might miss them!!!!! renee grebe@cmu.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Very Beatles From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 11:00:42 EST On Thu, 05 Dec 1996 13:42:48 +0000 (GMT) "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" writes: >Everytime I hear How Can I Sing Like A Girl it reminds me of The Beatles' >Free As A Bird, and quite a few of my mates - who all remember Birdhouse and >Istanbul but no other songs - think so too. You see, I too am trying to convert >people to the gospel accordion to John and John. Actually, they're both stolen/borrowed from the oldies hit "Blue Moon" so both bands know how to borrow... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:52:55 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" > I'll convert them yet-- I caught my sister humming >"Cowtown" the other day. Lol. I caught my mum whistling "S-E-X-X-Y" while doing the dishes yesterday. ;) >Does anyone else think that the b&w close-up of J&J in the >middle of They'll Need A Crane, right when J sings "didn't >mean to say nightmare" is absolutely GORGEOUS?? I always >scream "HOLD THAT SHOT!!!" whenever I watch it. There are so many gorgeous shots of Linnell in the videos, but yes, that is one. Also in Purple Toupee, at the "chinese people were fighting in the park..." part... And in Puppet Head, that one where he's playing accordian fast... I haven't seen it ain a while, so I don't remember what part it is.. >They have three albums out, total. Their second album "wood" >and their third album, "The B Album" (analagous (sp?) to Misc. >T.) are not available in the States. Contact me if you'd like to >trade for dubs; I have all three albums on CD. Ironically, the only one I *don't* have on cd is B'ville. I got B album in Canada, and Wood as an import at a local store. >And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. I haven't really heard a definite song by them, but I've heard from a couple people that I would like them, because I like Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "No flipping!" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:53:11 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... >>Many of the things *you* all like, Bare Naked Ladies, >etc. are >>out of the mainstream. > >Um, BNL non-mainstream? If they're out of the mainstream, >I'd hate to hear >something that is *in* it. No, Josh, if they were American, they'd be big. No, that's not true, Alanis is Canadian too.. If 98 PXY (or any stations for you guys not in our area) does not play it more than once every two months, it ain't mainstream. This is the station that survives on the likes of "c'mon ride the train", and Celine Dion. :P MTV's eqivalent. I have only seen BNL twice on MTV, both times on 120 Minutes, once at 1 am and another time at 2 am. Not that I listen to it [98 PXY], but every once in a while, I station surf out of curiousity. That's a pretty good fast way to get a feel of what other stations are playing. Good Gord (BNL ref.), I'm babbling! ~sarah <-- drewling on her beautious purple and blue TMBG tickets!!! :D linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:54:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I have the weirdest thoughts... I was just sitting here, when this obscure thought raced into my mind and dashed away. TMBG: The Movie. (LOL!) STARRING: Dan AKROYD as John FLANSBURGH! Lyle LOVETT as John LINNELL! Richard SIMMONS as Brian DOHERTY! Weird AL as Eric WAH WAH Schemerhorn! FABIO as Grahm MABY! Don't ask....... (BTW- I am NO Fabio fan!) Oh and ObTMBG: from WBER(local TMBG-friendly station)'s top 52, here's the interesting bit: 12. They Might Be Giants --- S-E-X-X-Y --- Factory Showroom Whooo! Movin' on up! (to the east side......) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:12:04 -0500 (EST) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > > I always thought, and still do think, that John Henry is Their > > least imaginative album by far. I dont know, JH is just about my favorite album (close second to A18). Maybe they don't use the accordian and drum machines, but I still think it has some of their best work on it (NOKMP, NyQuil Driver, Sleeping in the Flowers). Of course, I also like Stomp Box, so what do I know? Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "These seconds when I'm shaking leave me | Jason Riek shuddering for days" -Counting Crows | Carnegie Mellon University _____________________________________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu Seek the Ultimate Plaid! | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:28:00 -0500 (EST) > >They have three albums out, total. Their second album "wood" > >and their third album, "The B Album" (analagous (sp?) to Misc. > >T.) are not available in the States. Contact me if you'd like to > >trade for dubs; I have all three albums on CD. > Ironically, the only one I *don't* have on cd is B'ville. I got B album in > Canada, and Wood as an import at a local store. You can purchase the B-Album or Wood for regular, non-import price if you go to a show and buy it from their manager. I think it's $15 for Wood and $10 for the shorter B-Album super-maxi-EP. But, now word is they have hooked up with an Indie New York label and will be able to sell CDs in the States. > > >And that's "Man...or Astroman?" to you. > I haven't really heard a definite song by them, but I've heard from a couple > people that I would like them, because I like Shadowy Men On A Shadowy > Planet. Isn't that Shadowy Men *From* a Shadowy Planet? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: mainstream Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:44:12 -0500 (EST) I would agree that TMBG would be closer to the mainstream (although still kinda far away) than BNL, but ever since Born on a Prate Ship (thatr's the latest right?) came out, they have been getting a *lot* more exposure, they've been on the radio doing interviews, they are being played now whereas they weren't even really played at all before. I think they are becoming a bit more bigtime (although not that big absolutely, only relatively). I think mainstream is very objective to everyone, except for the extremes (i.e. Pearl Jam is undeniably mainstream, Alanis, other various bands). When you see the success and exposure TMBG has goten lately as compared to earlier in the 90s on back (ie lots of articles and interviews, concerts generally seling out, etc) it would seem TMBG is approaching the mainstream to some, while many others would say this is not at all true, they are more unknown. It does have to do with geographical listening areas too. Absolutely in the world, I would say TMBG is nothing like a Smashing Pumpkins, of course, but I personally know some people from various countries who know and lke the band. That has to say something. More than likely these folks are pretty big music fans, though. There are some people that will be able to tell you at least 1 thing about almost any band you throw at them, even mre obscure ones. In their eyes, a band may seem somewhat mainstream. Meanwhile, a casual music listener who lives in a more remote area may think TMBG (or BNL) is rather obscure (like with the various postings where people say "No one in my town konws TMBG but me). Someone living in NYC on the other hand would probably have more of a different perspective. Not only is a wide array of music more prevalent in this city but TMBG (of course) are from NYC and the chances of hearing them can be much greater. Perceptions can be warped by various factors--the type of music listener you are, where you live, etc But whether nearing mainstreamality or falling into the depths of obscurity, I find I just enjoy TMBG for the wonderful, talented band they are. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "SNOWBALL IN HELL" Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:56:17 CST Subject: TMBG: just another opinion on Cleveland Well the Cleveland show was worth the trip. I didn't meet up with any listers, but I managed to get down with my badself instead. Actually I thought the Johns seemed to be in unusually good moods. Not because they are angry men, but just because in my opinion the audience was pretty disappointing and not to what I would think to be their liking. Not as bad as Hootie, but then again, I'm never satisfied. Ever. One thing I learned at the show, alterna- teens are the same wherever you go. I'm not making accusations, just stating a fact. When is grunge going to go out!?!?!?!?? I'm waiting. Anyway, I got the set list AND one of the cool posters hanging on the walls so I was pretty happy! Twisting was in G!!!(useless information) Didn't get to walk outside and see the Johns when they came out, but I saw some people standing there, waiting. Was anyone successful? CUB? Didn't know they were an all woman band. Didn't know what to expect. I guess they were entertaining to a point, but not something that I'm going to seek out. The drummer was pretty cool though. They had it together most definitely, but the music I didn't think was too impressive. Here's some advice and spread the word. MOSHING TO BIRHOUSEoranythingGiantsSHOULDN'T BE DONE. IT'S JUST BAD TMBG CONCERT ETIQUETTE AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT'S SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT. It was actually kind of funny though, because as I watched as a "crowd surfer" floated atop the many people below I caught Linnel glancing down with a look upon his face like "What the...?" It WAS funny. Maybe it was just me. Because the crowd seemed to be pretty passive and not down with getting up and dancing like crazy (not just when it was fast enough for kicking people) I instead had a new and great experience just by standing back by myself, shakin' my groove thang and enjoying their performance. Has TMBG gone mainstream? I hope not. They haven't gotten to the point of Smashing Pumpkins or anything (and I only use them as example because they are the first band that came to mind that are like the Giants in that they were huge before they were HUGE) and I truly hope they aren't ever. It would personally kill me to discover that they Johns were actually satisfied with this damn -I'm so crazy I'm going to dye my hair to make a statement- type audience, and started to cater to their stupid needs. I just think they are too accomplished and mature as musicians to have to start to kiss up to what "all the kids" think is COOL. What's trendy at the moment in other words (I'm a kid myself, I'll admit, but I am also very sick of it all.) BUt the fact is they are to a point slaves to The Man. Down with Electra? Hell yeah. Maybe they already have. I'm enjoying it before it goes insane, I guess because from what I saw last night, it seems like it might. I'll enjoy it even after, but I might as well savor the moment while I can. I'm only speaking of the subject because there has been discussion on it lately. Sorry for my pessimistic attitude BTW. IT's just the way I am. This has just gotten way to elaborate for the purpose so I'll stop. I hope I haven't pissed anyone off TOO much, but then if I have I'll apologize now. The Johns are geniuses and at least we can agree on that. They gave an outstanding show! THEY ROCK! I wish they would just come to IN!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 00:59:46 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" At 12:28 PM 12/5/96 -0500, you wrote: >Isn't that Shadowy Men *From* a Shadowy Planet? >Matt Nope. It's definitely Shadowy Men On An Shadowy Planet. I have "Savvy Show Stoppers" going right now. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:05:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I want to see the videos Hey! Where can I find the videos? Can you buy them or what? thanks in advance, les ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:29:17 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Amy's concert review > At this point they left the stage, and of course everyone's yelling and > clapping, and one guy near me yelled "come on, don't make us do this, > it's degrading, we know you're gonna come back!" I have never heard greater words. I CAN'T stand this ritual of making everyone scream and yell for more when the group is going to play more anyway. No matter how excited/unexcited an audience has been I have never heard a group say "Wow, since you guys are so great, we're going to play even more." This does tend to be degrading. Erik ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:21:39 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: ((Jh & Fs)--> Mx) Boy is Logic terminology fun! For me, John Henry sounds pretty dull in general, but I think there are tons of horns present, I only think that they aren't very well done, they don't seem to be very energetic at all. Factory Showroom sounds a little more upbeat & is more varied, but They are still slipping toward the more generic 'alternative' center of popular rock music today. Also, in regards to the 'great musicfest' someone mentioned, I would highly prefer this one: Moxy Fruvous Ben Folds Five They Might Be Giants A reunited Pixies, appearing for 1 show only! Nirvana, back from the grave. Now _that_ would be a musicfest:) Throw in Simon & Garfunkel & Talking Heads (both also back together of course, and ya can't go wrong). Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" They're the best thing since Canned Roses! 'Course the best thing before Canned Roses was Real Turnips, but don't blame me! ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Troubled thoughts Date: Thu, 05 Dec 96 11:29:00 P I just noticed that there is NO VIDEO FOR FACTORY SHOWROOM> I don't know maybe there is and I just haven't heard about it. Is there? If so what song? Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster~ misuser of verbs ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:38:09 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: parentS. At 10:39 PM 12/4/96 -0600, you wrote: >my parents are somewhat giants fans... they have gone with me and my >friends two seperate times to see Them, and almost a third. i've also >enforced a TMBG bumper sticker on every car at my house policy, so both of >my parents have them on their cars... my parents like what they've heard of Them. My mom is always saying "Oh, they do that Constantinople song.." My dad listened to Metal Detector and said it was like music he listened to when he was young :| I don't quite know what to make of that. Oh well. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: Very Beatles Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:44:35 EST the first time my parents heard tmbg (i think it was either flood or apollo), we were on a long car trip, and i think i was in 7th grade maybe...i remember my dad saying that it sounded like the beatles, and that they were just "recycling" music...i remember being really mad at him for saying this...but at least he let me listen to it...my mom, who actually doesn't like beatles, said that it was "noise" and told me to listen to my walkman... well, my .05 cent...jan. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:47:14 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Fnord!" I think something cool They could do would be to play When It Rains It Snows really quietly and slowly, and with a "shhh..." at the begining like on the demo tape, then at the end they could go "And now I know that when it rains it snows Dig my grave.." and go into a loud fast Dig My Grave. That would be neat. I think I'll go to my local library and look for the Power Rangers soundtrack, because I love sensurround and I want to hear the original. Also, WDTSS? rocks in concert. Some stuff that can actually be respponded to: Shows On CD: I saw one person post about how they were remastering a show and puting it on tapes and possibly CDs... what show was that? Any one make CD copies of other shows? I would gladly pay say, $12 plus postage for an indexed CD bootleg. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:50:08 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: The wind swept the whirlpool across the sky... >>Many of the things *you* all like, Bare Naked Ladies, etc. are >>out of the mainstream. > >Um, BNL non-mainstream? If they're out of the mainstream, I'd hate to hear >something that is *in* it. they're openly funny, though. If TMBG sold themselves as a joke band they'd be popular (and maybe even what some people would call mainstream). -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 14:56:39 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug At 10:53 PM 12/4/96 -0800, J Chen wrote: > I fear that if TMBG became "mainstream," a lot more of us would be >more turned off than we'd like to believe. It already slightly shows in >the fact that most everyone here likes Flood the least, even though it is a >very strong, diverse, and wonderful album. Most people find it overplayed, >and therefore it is "mainstream." But it is definitely a strong sampling >of They music. So would we indeed be loyal, even if the music stayed the >same? That is an excellent point. I will like TMBG as long as I enjoy the music they make. Evan, a Pre-Anthology Beatles Fan -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 15:02:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Rolling Stone, vinyl Lincoln, Beatles, etc. < I was looking througha rolling stones magazine the other day, I a rad picture of Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Wow. HCISLAG sounds alot like Free As A Bird. I'm slightly annoyed by the sound quality of John Lennon's voice (On Free As A Bird, not HCISLAG :) I like the horns on JH alot. I wish they had used the horns on FS (Or at least more strings). The accordian is still there, just less of it and better blended in. They started using the accoridan only because iut was a verseltile intsrument they could use at their two man club shows (am I wrong?). With a full band they don't need the accordian as much. And JH is not as mainstream as you would think. The drum sound is not as harsh as most bands or as Them live, as I recently discovered. John Henry sounds more 'Fresh' than FS. With the full band, a 'play all the songs we know live in a studio' album sounds right. With just the two Johns, the accordian/drum machine/studio tricks/guest artist thing works well. Factory Showroom sounds *fake*. I like the album a lot, but I think next time they should go for more of the full band sound, and on songs they want to do studio tricks/ samples and such on they should cut back on the instrumentation, and not add worthless guitar solos in the middle. >> You may be right about that. I have always considered JH to be the >> closest thing to selling out that They have ever done. (possible >> exception: S-E-X-X-Y) I mean, just listen to the music. What happened >> to all the accordians and horns? Almost all the music is guitar. I'm > >What happened to the horns?! John Henry is the "horniest" of any TMBG >album. It is the first album that has a whole section of trumpets and >saxes used on lots of songs. (just had to point that out) > >I do agree it has less variety of sounds than other albums, because of >the lack of samples and studio tricks, but there are some new sounds >(for TMBG) too--the full band with horns, the organ instead of >accordion, the barbershop group Hudson Shad. And there is a huge >variety of songs, even if they are all treated in a live, full-band >sort of way. I think it's a great album, and that it was *very* >imaginative for them to come out with such a big impressive album, all >performed and recorded so differently from their previous works. If They >were trying to sell out, they would have tried to re-make Flood, their >most popular album. (and don't tell me that's what Apollo 18 is!) > >-Sean Mootrey. > > -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 15:25:53 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Setlists/Boots of Ohio shows? Anyone get setlists or copies of the Ohio shows? Columbus in particular? I know that setlist was posted already. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 15:35:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Granville OH- Denison University Anyone have more info on this show? Tickets? Directions? I just went to my first tmbg show, but another would be great! The tour dates on TMBG.com are updated through february, but the tables are still messed up. Please tell me more about this show if you have any info. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 15:00:58 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > > > I always thought, and still do think, that John Henry is Their > > > least imaginative album by far. > I really beg to differ on this one. John Henry contains a truly varied array of music, so at least musically They're imaginative on it. Jesus, have you ever heard a pop band anywhere do a song like "O Do Not Forsake Me"? Latin rhythms in "No One Knows My Plan", whatever the hell kind of music is in "Extra Savoir-Faire", starting the whole damn album with an accordian (in "Subliminal", although Pere Ubu did it on Story of My Life)... seems pretty damn imaginative to me. What do you need, people jumping around in spacesuits? (oh, wait...) Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:05:20 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: mainstreaming it Organization: West Virginia Network duke ellington said "If it sounds good, it IS good" i think that should settle this arguement. anyone know where in the world cortney (list person) is??? i can never ge sam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:09:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: John Henry by Jason C Riek@CMU.EDU > I dont know, JH is just about my favorite album (close second to A18). > Maybe they don't use the accordian and drum machines, but I still think it > has some of their best work on it (NOKMP, NyQuil Driver, Sleeping in the > Flowers). Of course, I also like Stomp Box, so what do I know? Wow. You de-lurked. :) I tend to agree with this opinion, and, as many of you know, I'm partial to stuff with accordion because, well... I play it, and I really like it. But John Henry is, I think, the strongest album, despite the fact that only Subliminal and Meet James Ensor contain accordion. It's really the only one I can listen to all the way through without skipping anything, because the songs I don't care for much are still not all that bad... whereas the other albums have some songs I just can't stand at all. I often have trouble ranking my favorites on JH, but I think the order is something like: tour, plan, sleep, stomp, ensor, jail, think, sublim, sad, moon, nyquil, self, window, thermo, thing, snail, dirtbike, spy, forsake, extra. And I still like Extra Savoir Faire to some degree... As far as your favorite two albums, JH and A18, are concerned... these are, by far, the most instrumentally complex albums they've produced. Apollo 18 with statue, turn around, fingertips, guitar, and dig my grave, and JH with just about everything... Then take a look at an album like Lincoln, where the only song with any guest musicians is Kiss Me, Son of God. There are very few brasses on Lincoln (almost wrote no brasses, but then I remembered Pencil Rain) and almost all non-guitar parts are played by Linnell (notice on Shoehorn with Teeth that he plays bass clarinet, baritone sax, and accordion) And somehow, the relative simplicity of this album makes it just as strong. I think I had a point... I forgot it, though. oh yeah, about that rock... :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:13:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Very Beatles Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: Very Beatles by jting@MIT.EDU > maybe...i remember my dad saying that it sounded like the beatles, and that th Yeah, my dad said that, too (also on a long car trip, coincidentally)... when he heard Statue he said that the instrumental variety reminded him of some of the Beatles stuff. I dunno... if you ask me, Narrow Your Eyes sounds like the most Beatles-esqe TMBG song... (he may have commented on that, too) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 15:19:47 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: ((Jh & Fs)--> Mx) > Also, in regards to the 'great musicfest' someone mentioned, I would highly > prefer this one: > > Moxy Fruvous > Ben Folds Five > They Might Be Giants > A reunited Pixies, appearing for 1 show only! > Nirvana, back from the grave. > > Now _that_ would be a musicfest:) Throw in Simon & Garfunkel & Talking > Heads (both also back together of course, and ya can't go wrong). > When I first started reading this part of the message, I though "Damn! This guy's reading my mind!" But then I got down to Nirvana, and, well, I suddenly disagreed. Personally, me no like Nirvana. I know, that means that I wasn't a teenager a few years ago (but what the hell was I, then?), but oh well...anyways, due to popular demand, here is Bill Tatalovich's ultimate concert lineup: Main Stage: Barenaked Ladies REM (circa 1983-6) They Might Be Giants Sugar (there are enough Bob fans out there...) Pavement The Toasters (or the New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble, or both) Mighty Mighty Bosstones (they can do Lollapalooza...) Second Stage (for the "non-mainstream bands"): Ben Folds Five Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 Yo La Tengo Combustible Edison The Connells Okay, I'm going to stop before someone gets hurt. I could probably go on forever here, and I would, but I'll get flamed to hell if I go much further. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "No BIG HAIR!!!!!" --Pavement ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:47:23 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Very Beatles A little off the subject, but when I first got Factory Showroom, I made my boyfriend listen to it while we were driving to somewhere or other, and I kept saying things like "OK, listen to this next song, it is SO COOL" 'til finally he said "They're like your Beatles, aren't they?" and I said "well... yeah" after the few seconds it took me to figure out what he meant. OK, so I think a little slow and talk a little fast, but damn I have good taste in people to be insanely fanatic about. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ Yes I'm your angel I'll give you everything in my magic power so make a wish and I'll let it come true for you tra la la la -cub --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:49:10 -0500 Subject: TMBG: rochester tmbg show info I called up Media Play and talked to the promotions guy. He said they can't do an instore, because the concert itself is being held by WBER, and it's a concert to raise $ for the station (it's a non-profit station, that's why). So they can't give a free concert over at MP. :( Bummer. No way around it I guess. If anyone has any *specific* questions 'bout it, email me, and I'll do my damndest to go out of my way to answer them. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:49:18 -0500 Subject: TMBG: a journalist freak who must DIE, DIE, DIEEEEE!!!!! Oooooh, I just read a blurb in the newspaper that really pissed me off. I HATE this guy. This is the same guy who gave the secret location for a radio station's private concert yesterday, just because he doesn't like their format. >:( I'm not going to resort to cursing, but believe you me, they're all on the tip of my tounge. It saddens me to transcribe this, but I need to in order for you guys to help... --- THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, the offbeat college radio favourites, are advertising their 8pm Dec. 29th return to the Water Street Music Hall as a "holiday show." Be warned: These guys' warped sense of humour suggests this show may not be everyone's idea of holiday fun. Best known for the loopy '80's hit Istanbul (Not Constantinople), They Might Be Giants have graduated from a duo that performed while wearing huge papier-mache heads to a regular rock band with songs that still seem appropriate for papier-mache heads. Tickets are $15 at the usual Water Street outlets. --- and by the picture on the next page, it states: --- GIANT HOLIDAY They Might Be Giants, the offbeat college radio favourites, are calling their Dec. 29 concert a "holiday show." But don't expect anything traditional. --- OOOOOOHHHH! What? Who said it won't be? They could do Santa's Beard? Decorate the stage? You don't know until it happens!! And I won't even address "loopy '80's hit Istanbul". Could you all do me a favour if you have the chance? This prick's website is: http://www.RochesterDandC.com/div/go/ I plan on going there in a sec. I don't know what's there, but if you can email him, compalain and set him straight!!! :( :( :( He needs to go DOWN! Thanks in advance... ~a pturbed sarah linnellgirl@aol.com you ought to know the URL by now.. ;) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:59:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Fransburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: rochester tmbg show info hi everyone! i just wanted to let you all know (and especially those of you who even care at all) that i will also be at the rochester show! hooooraY! it is very exciting! i don't know how many of you remember me posting waaaay back in august about how nola and were making a banner and to look for it...but i have said banner...everyone look for it! it's not huge, about 2 1/2 feet long or so? it's bright red cloth, pasted/stapled to two big cardboard tubes! and i will definitely be displaying it around water street... :) so if you seee it...TALK TO ME!!!! i want to meet you all. :) have a blast guys...! --fransburgh! ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:05:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Reuniting musicfest Hello 41- This seems to be a new little thread, so to add a twist, my musicfest will be only broken up bands... I'd like to see: Dead Milkmen Talking Heads Pixies TMBG (with Tony, and J.D. had to be done) Ordinaires Unrest The peole that sang the songs to Fraggle Rock I'll stop now. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf I was laying on the porch as the bus drove by, just talking to the dog about thinking to myself. -TMBG Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Thu, 5 Dec 96 15:03:12 MST Subject: TMBG: Kiddie piano >What's the deal with the kiddie piano on "I've got a World that >Swings?" I like the song tho. They also used toy piano on "Cowtown" from the Lincoln album. It sounded a lot different on Frank O' Toole. (dial-a-song version?) One of Mannheim Steamroller's "Fresh Aire" songs features toy piano. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 96 17:09 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? >OK, I may be the ONLY one here who this is the truth for, but I'd have >to say that Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG, the episode where they did a >sort of MTV thing (quoth Buster Bunny "And here's another one by They >Might Be Giants, doing Particle Man! Who are these guys?" :) All I had >to do was see that episode and I was intrigued, went out and bought >flood, but it was the show that did it, anyone else remember that >episode? That's the exact same way I got hooked, except it took me a couple months to figure out that TMBG was a real band. I was *so* ignorant. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:07:57 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: once I was the king of spain (now I eat humble pie) KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > >Uhh... looking over at my own > >anally-arranged-in-release-order (nice to know I'm not the > >only one!) collection of CD's, > Hee hee. I do it too, you guys...The only section that's ever disorganized is > TMBG, because I listen to them so much throughout the day, wherever I am, and > when I finally put them back, I'm tired, and I really don't give a damn about > organizing them.Plus the colors kinda don't compliment each other well. Among > the regular releases, I have WDTSS and BTS, and now SEXXY. it looks weird, > all this yellow-orange-black... Mine are all in alphabetical order so I can find them > >--nicole the wonder nerd > >who's wondering what an 'apachie' is. > As far as I know, it's a trailer like the one in my back yard, unless there's > a 2nd definition...? > I beleive the reference was to an Apache Assault Gunboat . -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:12:44 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > I was just sitting here, when this obscure thought raced into my mind and > dashed away. > TMBG: The Movie. (LOL!) > STARRING: > > Dan AKROYD as John FLANSBURGH! > Lyle LOVETT as John LINNELL! > Richard SIMMONS as Brian DOHERTY! > Weird AL as Eric WAH WAH Schemerhorn! > FABIO as Grahm MABY! > > Don't ask....... > (BTW- I am NO Fabio fan!) Why not Them as Themselves? I think it would be most cool to see Them in a movie! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:21:38 -0500 (EST) From: frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) Subject: TMBG: Bein' Weird This whole lil thread reminds me of my dear friend Kevin. You see, my friends and I live for the sole purpose of annoying each other to fury. It's a fun little game. Whenever I wear my TMBG "hats" t-shirt, Kevin spends the whole day saying, "Hey, Dallas, where can I get me some of those tourists hats?" "TOUR HATS, KEVIN." "Yeah, where can I get some tourist hats?" And then there's the classic, "That's why you listen to those fags, They Might Be Giants." "They are NOT gay! Flansburgh just got married!" "yeah, those guys are real queers." "Who cares if they are or not, they make damn good music!" "Queers!" Very open-minded people as you can see. Such is life, Brother JohnBejezus *---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 Michael: ...and doing is half the battle. Me: I thought it was "knowing is half the battle" Michael: Well doing's the other half. *----------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:23:43 -0500 (EST) From: frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) Subject: TMBG: Ack! Tarnation! That e-mail was written a coupla days ago and I think I decided not to send it. Oh well, maybe I'll turn into a meaningless multiple-poster like some other people I could name. Bej ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 96 17:23 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of Mainstreaming; Beatles Plug > > I fear that if TMBG became "mainstream," a lot more of us would be >more turned off than we'd like to believe. It already slightly shows in >the fact that most everyone here likes Flood the least, even though it is a >very strong, diverse, and wonderful album. Most people find it overplayed, >and therefore it is "mainstream." But it is definitely a strong sampling >of They music. So would we indeed be loyal, even if the music stayed the >same? I don't know about that. I'd list Flood as my current least favorite album, but that's not so much that it's overplayed exactly. It's more that it was the first album I got, and I listened to it so many times I'm just a little sick of it. However, I'm always thrilled when I hear a Flood song on the radio. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:25:22 -0800 From: Robin Perrtree Organization: Washington U. StL Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you?..."musicfest" > >I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, > >was introduced to TMBG through Flood. Now I have them all, but Flood > >is the gateway for me (as it was for many). > >So, which album got YOU into the group? Will anyone (besides Mismirilda) > >pipe up and say that John Henry or Factory Showroom was the album that > >made them fall in love with TMBG? The first TMBG I heard was Flood, it was my best friend's tape and I made a copy of it. I thought it was god but not great. When John Henry came out I bought it almost immediately, because the same friend raved about it and I fell in love from there and now own all the albums on cd (including Flood). actually Flood JH and Mis. T are my less favorite albums now, mostly I think because I over played JH and Flood when they were the only ones I had. Also, the 'great musicfest' someone mentioned, I would LOVE this one!! Violent Femmes Ben Folds Five They Might Be Giants Material Issue, back from the grave. Robin AKA TMBGod ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:15:37 -0500 Okay, I'm leaving for my 1st TMBG show in about . . . 30 min. I'd thought it would be pretty cool to write down what I'm anticipating and fearful of before setting off for the concert. Then, when I return, I'll write a follow-up stating what REALLY happened and what, if any, of my "worries" came true. I just got the idea because I'm sure there a numerous people here on the list who have never been to a show, and are thus just like me. #1) Moshing. I recieved numerous letters in response to my request about the going-ons at a They show. Almost everyone had a little section about moshing, even one with a horror story. I think the last concert I attended was (now don't laugh) Yanni. As you can conclude, there was not a sign of a mosh pit there. Why be afraid of moshing? I really don't know. I guess it's just the notion that I COULD get hurt. Who knows. #2) Rude people. I just hate when I go to a concert and everyone keeps to themselves. I also hate when there is a section that is loud, obnoxious, rude, etc. It just ruins everyone's night. #3) Drugs. Kind of goes right along with #2. #4) Where to sit. I was given several suggestions of where to try and sit. All of them were in the front row. I think I'll try the middle. Never know when a mosh pit will form. :( #5) Looking stupid. I only have 3 TMBG albums and one of their singles. But I consider myself a fan nonetheless! Judging by this list, TMBG fans own all of their albums AND know practically everything there is to know about anything They-related. I have also never heard SEXXY, which appears to be the next great They tune. Just call me Mr. Conversationlist! #6) Looking uncool. I would honestly consider myself a shy guy. So shy, in fact, that I'm afraid I'll be sitting/standing by myself throughout the entire show! Yikes! I also don't own any TMBG shirts, hat, etc, as I have mentioned in the past. #7) Dancing. Somebody mentioned having a congo line at a They show. Good gracious: I couldn't dance to save my life! Well, I think that's about it. I have about 15 minutes 'til I leave. Just think, in another couple of hours I will no longer be The Virgin Kelley Kent! Woo-hoo! Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) PS - My post-performance post will be out around 11:30 pm, standard time, depending on when I get back. ------------------------------ From: "Daniel Vaught" Organization: Arkansas School for Math & Science Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:32:34 CDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Reuniting musicfest > Dead Milkmen > Talking Heads > Pixies > TMBG (with Tony, and J.D. had to be done) > Ordinaires > Unrest > The peole that sang the songs to Fraggle Rock > > I'll stop now. That is about the coolest line-up I have seen yet.. add the dead kennedys Operation Ivy And exume the bodies of: John Lennon Jim Morrison and have Jello Biafra be MC... That would be fun..... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 96 17:48 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Very Beatles >A little off the subject, but when I first got Factory Showroom, I made my >boyfriend listen to it while we were driving to somewhere or other, and I >kept saying things like "OK, listen to this next song, it is SO COOL" 'til >finally he said "They're like your Beatles, aren't they?" and I said >"well... yeah" after the few seconds it took me to figure out what he >meant. That's what I usually tell people when they can't understand the level of my enthusiasm. Then they say "Oh... yeah." Then there's my friend Phil, who after hearing me blab about TMBG for the nth time, said, "Hey, you like TMBG the way I like Tears for Fears." So now we both patiently listen to each other blather, because we understand the enormity of each others love for "our" bands. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:58:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: St. Louis shows & Man or Astroman I'm going to Both TMBG Shows in St. Loius, I'll be the guy in either a white TMBG Snowman shirt (the early one) or a Hello shirt, I don't know, after all it is nearly a month away. Man or Astroman is a great band. I have their ep w/ U-Uranus on it, I think it's very Why Does the Sun Shine?-like despite the surfy spacey music. nick ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: TMBG: Fruvous Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:15:32 -0600 (CST) Matthew James writes: > > You can purchase the B-Album or Wood for regular, non-import price if > you go to a show and buy it from their manager. I think it's $15 for > Wood and $10 for the shorter B-Album super-maxi-EP. You can also get them from the "Fruvous Quill" for the cheaper prices, along with hats, T-shirts, etc. -- John Iacoletti IBM RS/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "Ignore the mountain of discarded falderal" -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 18:17:26 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) >#1) Moshing. I recieved numerous letters in response to my >request about the going-ons at a They show. Almost everyone >had a little section about moshing, even one with a horror >story. I think the last concert I attended was (now don't laugh) >Yanni. As you can conclude, there was not a sign of a mosh pit >there. Why be afraid of moshing? I really don't know. I guess it's >just the notion that I COULD get hurt. Who knows. First of all... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YOU went to a YANNI concert?!!!! HAHAHAHAHA (Loud thud as the boot hits my head, and another loud thunk as my head hits the floor) Second of all... why no moshing at a Yanni concert? In fact.... that's a good idea. Who wants to go to a Yanni concert and make fools of ourselves by bouncing and moshing and 'passing the dude'. (Still love that video boot comp... when's vol 2?) Shyness: You said you were pretty shy. I'm pretty shy until I know someone, then i can talk for hours or whatever. They have a lot of songs about being shy, but I woun't start that thread again. Exquisite Dead Guy: Why did they title it that? It doesn't seem at all like they made the lyrics by doing that game. All I can think is that it's actually about a Dead Guy, exquisite nonetheless, exquisite enough to be put on display. Maybe his display case is a coffin... (Rotating?) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:42:06 GMT From: Grimleyfiendish Subject: Re: TMBG: More Mainstream On Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:12:07 -0500 Evan Chakroff wrote: > From: Evan Chakroff > Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 15:12:07 -0500 > Subject: TMBG: Mainstream > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > This speak of mainstream got me thinking. At the Rock And Roll Hall OF Fame > Museum in Cleveland (where I went last summer...) there was this big Wall > display, with writing on it by Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) about why he > wrote The Wall, and how it's about isolation and such, but it also said he > was sickened by how popular they had gotten (or something along those > lines...) and he wrote it partly to show how being popular had isolated > them from their fans and stuff. It was really interesting. I think that > applies to this thread somewhat. > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > This Statement Is False Yeah, and I don't know If anyone has seen the film of the wall, but one of the many issues it tries to show is the isolation of being so detatched yet still influential to lots of people. I think Syd Barratt (early pink floyd) ended up being so pissed off with the whole thing that he left it all for a life of illegal drugs........some might say this changed his musical style but I'm not so sure. This probably isn't the time or place to discuss pink floyd, BUT what I'm interested in is whether being megastars of the universe would change tmbg or change the world!!!! And if they decided to take lots and lots of illegal drugs, would their music change? I'm not so sure and it's songs like.......Particle man and Fingertips make me think not........ and Mr.me and It's not my birthday make me think it could be dangerous. I'm interested.................. Chrissy x ****************************** 'Sig file? Sig file? Sig file tra la la?!' ****************************** ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: When the phone inside her rib cage rings From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 18:42:55 EST This has nothing to do with this Macarthur Park thread, but rather with the subject line... Is a phone inside the rib cage ringing mentioned by Freud or something? When I heard that line, I was reminded of that Star Trek (Next Gen) episode with Freud in it (the "cellular peptide cake with mint frosting" episode). Data's chest rings in a dream he has, and he opens it and there's a phone there. I think the episode aired after Misc T came out. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:26:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Mainstreamlining Okay, don't every one flame and throw tomatoes after you finish reading this. This is just one hypothetical situation we all know will never happen. I think it would be pretty cool if TMBG went totally and completely "mainstream" and "popular" all of the sudden. Think about it. How many people can say they liked, say, Nirvana, before the album "Nevermind" was released. Not many. It is very cool to have been a fan of a band long before the band went mainstream. If FS went "popular" all of the sudden, all the radio stations played TMBG, and everyone liked them, you could truthfully say you were a fan long before the band went big. You can pull out your Pink Album to prove it. I can say, without a doubt, I would still be a big TMBG fan if they went "popular" today. Probably even more so. But that will never happen. Us few fans can sit back, relax, listen to TMBG, not worrying that the tickets will sell out if you're not in line within five minutes of when Ticketmaster opens. On another note: The other day in my French class, I was listening to Apollo 18 on my discman. My friend, Sam, who is sort of a fan, was listening to Spider, and singing along outloud. This girl, who you would never suppose in a million years to be a TMBG fan, says, "The next song is pretty cool". It kinda took me by suprise, and so I asked her what she meant. "That guitar song. It's pretty cool." So, it turns out, that while she is not a huge fan or anything, but she owns A18, and she is not one of those people who is like, "You listen to this crap?" or "THIS SUCKS!". Anyway, this other kid asked me and the girl to try and describe what They sound like, like what genre they fit into, and we honestly couldn't pick a category. They are not pop, hard or soft rock, not really alternative, not really anything at all. They fit in to the TMBG category. Cool. ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:30:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream Music Fest In a message dated 96-12-04 21:10:38 EST, you write: << They Might Be Giants Aimee Mann Matthew Sweet (these above three hae played together in the past- at Pointfest in St. Louis a few years ago) Tori Amos BareNaked Ladies The Cranberries Juliana Hatfield Am I crazy or would this not be one rocking music fest? =) >> <> HA HA HA!!! "I'M SCISSOR CRAZY," Said the dog I agree DEFINATELY with the first one... uhhhh... not matt... no Tori... no Ladies... The Cranberries would rock... Uhh.. .here's my list TMBG The Cranberries Weezer Flaming Lips The Connells Meat Puppetts The Refreshments The Beatles (I know... It's impossible BUT WHO CARES!!!!) Miracle Legion (Now Polaris) Pere Ubu and last but not least...Dishwalla That is my perfect concert... Keep in mind these bands are not in order of play because I would not EVER let TMBG open for Dishwalla... and especially not the Beatles... WEll.. back to lurking... THE TMB(do)G "Ohhh.. and the mist surrounds me more and more (hey wow)"-The Connells ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:28:44 -0500 (EST) From: Andrew Chapman Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Yes, I admit, it was Tiny Toons for me too, but it was several months before I could find any other reference to them... and a fateful December in.. um... well, it was somewhere.. when my friend and I found, and purchased, the last two copies of Flood in some store. Only to be unable to listen to them for a few days cuz we were on a trip, and our CD players were at home. Ah, memories. On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >OK, I may be the ONLY one here who this is the truth for, but I'd have > >to say that Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG, the episode where they did a > >sort of MTV thing (quoth Buster Bunny "And here's another one by They > >Might Be Giants, doing Particle Man! Who are these guys?" :) All I had > >to do was see that episode and I was intrigued, went out and bought > >flood, but it was the show that did it, anyone else remember that > >episode? > > That's the exact same way I got hooked, except it took me a couple > months to figure out that TMBG was a real band. I was *so* ignorant. ;) > > Kirsten > > -- > ______________________________________________________________________________ > "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Speed of Lightning, Roar of Thunder | Rev. Andrew J. Chapman, Esq. Fighting all who Rob or Plunder | Slacker Extrodinaire Underdog. Underdog! | az665@torfree.net ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: disappointed and distraught Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:29:40 -0500 Well, if you're comparing the times on this and my prevoius message, you can tell that something went wrong. Due to circumstance beyond my control, I did not get to go to the concert. :( What is really pissing me off is WHY I didn't go. I really don't feel like going into great detail at the present time. Being humiliated once is enough for one day. Let's just say I got in line for the show at around 5:30. I left for home at 6:50, 10 minutes beforer the doors would have opened. Had I driven down from some far off city, I would have stayed. But since the location was just a 10 minute walk from my college apartment, home was a very close point of refuge. Why leave? Well, before tonight, I'd had always envisioned a They concert as a group of people with similar interests to mine; nice people from all walks of life who would gather and have one helleva time. After tonight, however, I don't know what in the world I was thinking. Sure, I lost out on about $20 for the ticket. But in reality, I lost much more: my self-esteem, dignity, and the belief that I belonged with TMBG fans. I really don't wish to go into great detail as to what happened, but I just knew I could not enjoy Their music in a room with such people. I looked for Bill and GreenJello, who both said they would be there, but I didn't see them. I'm sure they were not part of that group. And I don't want to generalize TMBG fans, either. But you get one chance to make a first impression. I'll still listen to Them. I'll remain on the list. But it's gonna be a LONG TIME before I even THINK of going to another show. Well, I don't want to bum everyone out, so I'll stop now. Hoping everyone had a better day than me, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:37:06 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? << Tiny Toons hooked me on TMBG anyone else remember that episode?>> <> HA HA HA!!! I'M SCISSOR CRAZY, said the dog That's what got me hooked to.. that and a tape of my sister's of various songs and Particle man was one of those... I got Flood from Columbia House.. John Henry Followed... then came TMBG, Apollo 18, Lincoln, WDTSS, Misc. T. FS, and the I9 not C) EP... that the way the cookie crumbled for me... TMB(do)G "Hey there, Sal, you sure are crazy, and, boy, you love to have a ball. Must be great with all the ladies. Watch it, Sal, don't ya fall"- The Connells ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:48:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: another thought on mainstream One thing I really hate about bands becoming mainstream, is that even if you liked the band long before their huge surge in popularity, you tend to become lost in the mindless throng of "new" followers. For instance, this happened with 3 of my 4 favorite bands. Smashing Pumpkins: I started liking them from the first second I heard "Today". When Bullet with Butterfly Wings came out, everyone and their dog LOVED the Pumpkins. I was lost. The Beatles: Even though I am a relatively new fan (for about 3 years), when ABC did the Anthology thing, everyone started finding their dad's old Beatles on vinyl and stuff, and became these ENORMOUS fans. Half of them couldn't have told you all 4 of their names before Anthology. REM: I started with the album, Out Of Time. If anyone knew who they were, they thought they were some weird band who did sissy songs about Happy People and Men on the Moon. But when radio stations started playing What's the Frequency, Kenneth, everyone look at them in a whole different light. Once again, just a mindless part of the throng. Fortunately, it hasn't happened to TMBG yet. Praise Allah. ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:16:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Reuniting musicfest TMBG Pixies (or just Frank if they all can't make it) Tori Amos REM Moby By the way I found the video, I'm sure you were all concerned. And I got hooked on Apollo 18. That's it. "Got me a movie I want you to know Slicing up eyeballs I want you to know" -Pixies ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: disappointed and distraught Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:20:45 +1100 This has to be one of the most snobbish posts I have read in my entire life!! I don't know what kind of background you come from, kiddo, but it's time you got out into the real world and got a life!! Some of these steps would be to; 1) Don't judge a book by it's cover - which, by the tone of your post, sounds like you did!! All sorts of people enjoy They're music! Accept that, and you're on a good start! 2) One of the greatest joys in life I've found is to go to a concert and get totally absorbed by it. I wouldn't give a flying banana of who's around me. Most people I know like to go to concerts and dance (it used to be moshing but me ol' joints aint what they used to be) and jump around. The idea of sitting at a gig just *crawls* me. I'm sorry - I'm starting to babble. But basically try to be strong enough to be yourself, and be even stronger to let others be themselves too. I'm now getting off my odious podium. 10000ft Septic Who gets shitted off when his freak flags pole is cut down to the ground. >---------- >From: Kelley Kent[SMTP:kkent@uc.campus.mci.net] >Sent: Friday, 06 December, 1996 8:29 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: disappointed and distraught > >Well, if you're comparing the times on this and my prevoius >message, you can tell that something went wrong. Due to >circumstance beyond my control, I did not get to go to the >concert. :( What is really pissing me off is WHY I didn't go. >I really don't feel like going into great detail at the present >time. Being humiliated once is enough for one day. Let's >just say I got in line for the show at around 5:30. I left for >home at 6:50, 10 minutes beforer the doors would have opened. >Had I driven down from some far off city, I would have stayed. >But since the location was just a 10 minute walk from my >college apartment, home was a very close point of refuge. >Why leave? Well, before tonight, I'd had always envisioned >a They concert as a group of people with similar interests to >mine; nice people from all walks of life who would gather and >have one helleva time. After tonight, however, I don't know what >in the world I was thinking. Sure, I lost out on about $20 for the >ticket. But in reality, I lost much more: my self-esteem, >dignity, and the belief that I belonged with TMBG fans. I really >don't wish to go into great detail as to what happened, but I >just knew I could not enjoy Their music in a room with such >people. I looked for Bill and GreenJello, who both said they would >be there, but I didn't see them. I'm sure they were not part of >that group. And I don't want to generalize TMBG fans, either. >But you get one chance to make a first impression. I'll >still listen to Them. I'll remain on the list. But it's gonna be a >LONG TIME before I even THINK of going to another show. > >Well, I don't want to bum everyone out, so I'll stop now. > >Hoping everyone had a better day than me, >Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:27:46 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Musicfest, How I got hooked Musicfest thingie: Mono Puff John Linnell Frank Black XTC (yeah, right) Warren Zevon Live Myke Weiskopf (heh heh heh) I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg The most benevolent on the surface are often the most evil within. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:49:26 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Kelley Kent wrote: > Well, if you're comparing the times on this and my prevoius > message, you can tell that something went wrong. Due to > circumstance beyond my control, I did not get to go to the > concert. :( What is really pissing me off is WHY I didn't go. --snip-- > Why leave? Well, before tonight, I'd had always envisioned > a They concert as a group of people with similar interests to > mine; nice people from all walks of life who would gather and > have one helleva time. After tonight, however, I don't know what > in the world I was thinking. Sure, I lost out on about $20 for the > ticket. But in reality, I lost much more: my self-esteem, > dignity, and the belief that I belonged with TMBG fans. Well, I'm distressed that you had such a terrible time waiting for the show that you felt compelled to leave. This is the total opposite of the experiences that I have had in the SEVEN times that I have seen TMBG perform. The first time was 1992 in Toronto, a time when I had been into them for around a year but had very little knowledge of them compared to now. I had an incredible time. (Met Flans too, which was cool). The next time was two years later, also in Toronto, and aside from nearly getting into an argument with the guitarist of Frente, I had an incredible time. The third time I saw them was Feb. of this year in Rochester, a city I had never been before. Before the show I spoke to some total strangers who were very nice. There was moshing at the show and this made me angry but after a half hour this stopped and I ended up having an incredible time. The next time I saw them was in April in Etown PA, a city I had never been before, and I met a slew of people I had never met before, and now I'm proud to call them my friends. Before the show, during the show and even after the show I had an incredible time. The next time I saw them was in Washington DC in August, a city I had never been before, and aside from blowing a tire outside the club, it was totally cool. I met a few people inside the club who turned out to be supernice (Bob Plass and Lauren!) and all the other people I met that day before the show are still my friends today. I had an incredible time. The last two times I saw them were on 2 consecutive days in September, in Albany NY and Providence RI, two places I had never been before. In both instances I had no problems with anyone, everyone I met and talked to were excellent people. I made a few friends in Albany as well, and the Providence experience was just flawless (Well, any show where Brian Doherty puts you on the guest list has got to be flawless from the word go). In both instances I had an incredible time. My point is that if you go to a TMBG show and do NOT feel comfortable or part of a community, it is that one rare freakish anomaly that will never again be repeated. Some of the best times I have ever had have been at TMBG shows. Some of my all time favourite people are people I met through TMBG and through going to shows. I think most of us can relate to this. I would sincerely hope that anyone who has had a contrary experience will be compelled to try again. All I can say is it sure would have taken something horrible for me to relinquish a TMBG concert ticket. I mean, I went to DC, crime capital of the USA, blew a car tire and stood out in a hellish side street in the middle of the night waiting for a tow truck and what held it all together was the experience of seeing the show and the excellence of the people I met and went with. Mr. Plass even offered to help out with our tire and he did not even know me! So please, don't give up hope. Give generously, pledge now. Make the TMBG concert scene a better place for everyone. Thank you. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:28:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell vowels xThat could have been a simple mistake if Linnel sang it, because he has xthat weird habit of pronouncing all his vowels as a 'u' sound. I dunno. xJust wanted to comment. =) xBrandon x xP.S. If you don't know what I mean: "I am a snake head eating the head on xthe uppisite (opposite) side." No, Flans sings Pet Name, but you're right: Linnell often has some sort of strange thing happening with his vowels. "Oh-re-gone is bad..." "..change my clothes, evur anamore" Also he changes his long i's into ah's a lot. Maybe the result of growing up around Boston and living in NY... anyway, it gives the songs a lot of character :) --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:32:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Kelley Kent wrote: > I'd had always envisioned > a They concert as a group of people with similar interests to > mine; nice people from all walks of life who would gather and > have one helleva time. After tonight, however, I don't know what > in the world I was thinking. Sure, I lost out on about $20 for the > ticket. But in reality, I lost much more: my self-esteem, > dignity, and the belief that I belonged with TMBG fans. Buck up there, Lass. There is always a rainbow over every stormy cloud. A sun comes up after every dark night. There's always tomorow for a dream to come true. The sun will come up tomorow, bet your bottom that tomorrow, there'll be sun. Look at all the good things you've got. Don't you worry about yesterday, think about today instead. In short, don't give up on us TMBG fans yet. One bad experience is just that, ONE. Try again, and try soon, so that you all your worries and pains go quickly away. -----HEY! Grandma... How'd you get on my account? SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: "hooked on TMBG" Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:30:23 -0800 Just thought I would drop my input on this thread.. I seem to see A LOT of "the first TMBG album I bought was John Henry and it is their best please don't bash my favorite album"... sorry to say, but am I the only one who has listened to them since they first came out? And also sorry to disappoint, but John Henry, at least as far as I am concerned, (even after Factory Showroom), it is their worst album. I got the WDTSS? and Back to Skull eps in between A18 and JH, and I thought man, this next TMBG album is going to be one rockin' disc! Then I got it and just about fell asleep. The first few songs were great, I loved Subliminal, Snail Shell and Nyquil Driver... then it really bogged down. I hardly ever listen to it, I recorded like 4 or 5 of the songs off of it onto a tape and I just listen to those songs from it (Subliminal, Snail Shell, Nyquil Driver, Meet James Ensor and maybe one more).... I have memorized just about every other TMBG song and can sing along with every other album **except JH**. If you want to look for TMBG trying to become mainstream, look at JH. Just about every kid I hear talk about them here on the list said that was their first album, so They must be pretty mainstream if they are just pulling people in. The days of "my band is so cool I am the only one I know who listens to them" are dead... if you listen to any album made on a corporate U.S. label, they are mainstream, sorry to say. And with the way the world is linked, you should have no problem finding millions of other people who listen to the same band and think they are so cool because they do and because the only reason they do is that "they are unpopular and if they ever become popular they are just not my favorite band anymore". It's a moot point, the reason any band is on a major label is because they sell records and are popular! If they were still on Bar/None, they would have a fanatical cult following, but they would not be popular. Sorry I just had to get this off my chet. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:33:08 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: final fears of a .. by Evan Chakroff@ix.netcom. > Why did they title it that? It doesn't seem at all like they made the > lyrics by doing that game. All I can think is that it's actually about a They are very good at taking a well known, or even not so well known phrase and changing it ever so slightly... this is one example. Others include: (with original quotes parenthesized) Exquisite Dead Guy (corpse) I've got a match: your embrace (face) and my collapse (ass) When it rains it snows (pours). Nothing's gonna change my clothes (mind) This is the spawning of the cage & aquarium. (this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius) Stand on your own head (two feet). (and a fun ambiguous statement, no less) You love me, and I love me (you)... and probably others... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:36:46 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: rochester tmbg show info yes! :) I get to meet Fransburgh! :D All us TMBGers should be together. :) Here, everyone who's going to the rochester show, email me, and I'll keep a running list. Then we can plan stuff. It be coo'! ;) I'll post it once in a while till the show. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:45:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Chicago NYE info Hello 41- I do not know if this has been mentioned yet, because I haven't checked my mail in a few hours, but I found out that TMBG just cancelled their New Years show at Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago. Big bummer!!! I wonder where they will pop up next... Florida? Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf The enemy is the human mind itself, or lack of it, on this planet. -General Boy Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:06:42 -0700 (MST) From: David Simpson Subject: TMBG: Them on Muppets Tonite! After reading the posts about seeing Them on Muppets Tonite (or wanting to, that is) I went on an extensive search for the Official Muppet homepage. I couldn't find it. But I did find ABC's public relations address, and sent in the suggestion. They sent me back the following letter: ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 04 Dec 96 19:58:00 EST From: "AOL-AUD-RELATN,ABCAUDR MS" To: David Simpson Subject: RE: http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VR/BS/Muppets/save_mt.html Thank you for your E-mail to ABC. You might want to send that suggestion to the show's production office, at the following address: Muppets Tonight 5358 Melrose Ave., 3rd Fl Hollywood, CA 90038 We appreciate your interest in Muppets Tonight, and your effort to communicate with us. James Canning ABC Television ---------- Anyway, if everyone on the list (500 some if I remember correctly) were to write to Muppets Tonight, I'm sure we could get something to happen. Dave Simpson .. but in a way, aren't we *ALL* Dave Simpson? ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: concert fears Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:03:23 -0500 (EST) I wouldn't worry too much zbout seats or drugs, I have never seen a sign of drugs at a TMBG concert and 99% of their concerts are general admission, standing room only. I know some people have been hurt somewhat by moshing/crowd surfing, but generally, it's more just a lot of sweating and smushing. Lack of breathing can be a problem at times. If you are able to get right in the very first row, it's usually not as bad as you have the front wall to support you. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:16:25 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught Det. Dave here... Kelley dude, you blew it. I have no idea what happened in line, but the real point of going to a concert is having the chance to see a band perform live. Not to "interface" with the crowd. Let me tell you a story about my last TMBG show: I live in Sarasota, FL. THEY were coming to Jacksonville, a four hour drive, in October. I dragged a friend (well, she wanted to go, she just needed a little convicing), got a hotel room ($100) went out for dinner ($60) and showed up at the Milk Bar (the club). The opening band didn't take the stage till late. They were ok. Then we waited for THEM. And waited. Finally they came out. They played four songs and then Flans said they had to take a break. I couldn't see the stage throught the mosh pit (which was totally out of control). Twenty minutes later, Flans comes boack out and says the rest of the show is cancelled. It turns out Linell was too sick to continue. We left. No refund no nothing. I was devastated. I'm a *major* Tmbghead (my aol address is TMBGHEAD@aol, btw) So anyway, we're outside the Milkbar asking some people where the good places to go dancing are. Jen blurts out, "Hey, the gay clubs have great music, do you know where they are?" It turns out the people we were talking to not only knew but were gay. Now I'm cool with that, whatever floats your boat. We followed them out to the club and danced our selves into a frenzy. Not as much fun as dancing at the concert would have been, but you know what they say about lemons and lemonade. My point, and I do have one, is that you should cherish the oppotunity to go to THEY shows. And don't worry about the crowd. TMBG fans come in all types and the assholes who think that they are cooler than you aren't. Trust me. If they are real fans, they appreciate the music and want to share it with other fans. If they act like jerks then thay aren't true fans; you should ignore them and enjoy the show. I probably won't get the chance to see them until their *next* tour!! As Flans says, "TMBG live in a world of peace and love" This is one of my favorite lists on the net. Youse guys are the bestest!!! Det. Dave ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Syd Straw From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 22:45:33 EST I was just curious...does anyone know whatever happened to Syd Straw? Are They still friends with her? Just wondering.... Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:16:29 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? > That's what got me hooked to.. that and a tape of my sister's of various > songs and Particle man was one of those... I got Flood from Columbia House.. > John Henry Followed... then came TMBG, Apollo 18, Lincoln, WDTSS, Misc. T. > FS, and the I9 not C) EP... that the way the cookie crumbled for me... > Well, apparently I'm one of the select few who had actually heard of They Might Be Giants before that little Tiny Toons episode. I know, I know, there are a lot of you out there who like them before that....let's not get in any arguments about that. I myself became hooked thanks to my older brother. Actually, his friend gave him a mix of TMBG songs as a gift of sorts. I sort of took it from my brother (because I had nothing better to do) and listened to it. The friend had made the mix from the eponymous first album, Lincoln, Misc. T, and Flood. The first TMBG song I ever heard, I believe, was "Ana Ng". Good song to start on, huh? Anyways, about six months to a year after that mix (I wore it into the ground, listening to it so much), Apollo 18 came out, and there was my first purchase. So I was hooked before the Tiny Toons escapade, and I was not hooked by Istanbul, Birdhouse, or Particle Man. I'm proud of myself. Anyways, there's my adventure into TMBG-world. See ya later. Bill Tatalovich, who is pissed that he couldn't go to Columbus or Cincinnati because he's stuck in school in St. Louis, and will be in Ohio when they play in St. Louis in January...but I'm not bitter... wt3@cec.wustl.edu "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful Everybody dies frustrated inside and that is beautiful..." --oh, you know.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:22:37 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: another thought on mainstream > Smashing Pumpkins: I started liking them from the first second I heard > "Today". When Bullet with Butterfly Wings came out, everyone and their dog > LOVED the Pumpkins. I was lost. > Wow....you haven't liked them since _Gish_ (is that right? i'm not a Pumpkins fan...)? I admire your honesty... > REM: I started with the album, Out Of Time. If anyone knew who they were, > they thought they were some weird band who did sissy songs about Happy People > and Men on the Moon. But when radio stations started playing What's the > Frequency, Kenneth, everyone look at them in a whole different light. Once > again, just a mindless part of the throng. > I always thought that REM was pretty damn popular once "The One I Love" made it to the charts in 1987, and maybe even "Fall on Me" in 1986. Even then, "Stand" was really damn big, so I have a feeling that people heard of REM before Out of Time, and knew about them as more than "some weird band who did sissy songs." After all, "The One I Love" and "Orange Crush" (another REM song that hit the charts, I believe) sort of rock. I don't know...maybe I'm wrong here. I must admit that they became REALLY big with Monster, a fact I don't like, considering how I've always thought that Monster was their weakest album...again, just an opinion. Anyways, sorry for the non-TMBG content, but it had to be said... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "There's lots of room for you on the bandwagon..." --REM ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:40:36 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Setlists (as taken from tape) for St. Paul and Mil If this does not interest you, skip or delete or fall asleep, whatever. Let It be In-Store in Minneapolis Older Than You've Ever BeeN; New York City; Birdhouse in Your Soul; Pet Name; Shoe Horn With Teeth; S-E-X-X-Y; James K. Polk; How Can I Sing Like a Girl; It's Your Own Worst Enemy; Meet James Ensor; Particle Man; XTC Versus Adam Ant. Partial List From St. Paul Show Spider; Sleeping in the Flowers; James K. Polk; Twistin'; Pet Name; Particle Man; Counterfeit Faker; Spy; Older Than You've Ever Been; Niquil Driver; Stayin' Alive; Maybe I Know; Ana Ng; Spiraling Shape; Birdhouse in Your Soul; Meet James Ensor; The Guitar; Don't Let's Start; It's Your Own Worst Enemy. That's all I got but I know they also did Sensurround, among others I can't remember, and I think They Got Lost was the last encore. Milwaukee Show You're Older Than You've Ever Been; Why Does the Sun Shine; Ana Ng; The Guitar; Counterfeit Faker; Particle Man; Sleeping in the Flowers; XTC Versus Adam Ant; Exquisite Dead Guy; S-E-X-X-Y ; Istanbul Not Constantinople; Maybe I Know; Spider; Niquil Driver; Stayin' Alive; Metal Detector; Pet Name; Meet James Ensor; Birdhouse in Your Soul; New York City; Dig My Grave. Encore: How Can I Sing Like a Girl; Twistin'; Famous Polka; Spy. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 23:39:20 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Banners! As I walked into the cleveland show, I noticed they had three banners up rather than one large one like last year...I'm refering to the banners that are the same as the inside cover of the WDTSS single...I was wondering if there was ANY way to get a hold of one... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 23:42:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: kiss me? Has anyone ever actually heard or heard of Them playing Kiss Me, Son of God live? as my official favorite tmbg song, it's a source of great distress to never have heard it live. It's a nagging fear of mine that they played it last year for Irving Plaza's OldiesNight, in their string of three shows, in which I was "only" available to attend the JohnHenry reenactment. and no that's not an actual complaint -- I totally respect and have much sympathy for every diehard out there who drives for hours and shells out big cash to attend. ...but could anyone out there who might have seen this show let me know either way? thanks: jen. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 23:45:36 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Setlists/Boots of Ohio shows well, I made a copy of the Cincinnati show. only downside was, no WDTSS... Cub was worth the price of admission though, TMBG were great... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Anyone get setlists or copies of the Ohio shows? Columbus in particular? I > know that setlist was posted already. > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > This Statement Is False > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 09:44:24 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: a journalist freak who must DIE, DIE, DIEEEEE!!!!! An Angel in the form of Sarah came to me in a dream and wrote: > OOOOOOHHHH! What? Who said it won't be? They could do Santa's Beard? Decorate > the stage? You don't know until it happens!! And I won't even address "loopy > '80's hit Istanbul". > Could you all do me a favour if you have the chance? This prick's website is: > http://www.RochesterDandC.com/div/go/ > I plan on going there in a sec. I don't know what's there, but if you can > email him, compalain and set him straight!!! :( :( :( He needs to go DOWN! > Thanks in advance... yeah!! and also mention that Istanbul was 1990, I guess that is technically in the decade of 1980 though, but it was acually the '90s because that-oh well, I suppose I'm becoming a tiresome old baleing fool. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 10:11:43 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: disappointed and distraught Well, I was in a crowed like that at the 11/15/96 show in SLC, UT (got it on tape). The best solution is to IGNORE them, if you are a true TMBG fan, you have more of a right to be there than they do anyway(please no hate mail for rights for idiots please). My friend and I had a good time making fun of the people in front of us singing particle man incorrectly, which I was promt to correst them on and my friend and I started saying " Who's There May Be Giants, any way?" I would never give up a chance to be in the same room w/tmbg though. The 2 people I met who were cool (hello members) I do not know the names, but one had a nifty hat. Oh well, GO to the next one, if not you'll wonder for the rest of your life... Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:37:28 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Rapping? If TMBG rapped, wouldn't it go: You'll always miss my big old body In its prime and never shoddy While bloodhounds wait down in the lobby You'll eulogize my big old body... :-) "Your money TALKS but my genius WALKS!" - James Chen ==================J-C-H-E-N-S-O-R-@-U-C-L-A-.-E-D-U================== || Home of James Chensor, A.K.A James Chen || || Lover of Palindromes, Anagrams, and other forms of Word Play. || ===================================================================== ||"To be or not to be: that is the question, whether tis nobler in || || the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune."|| || || || -------======= can be anagrammed to form: =======------- || || || || "In one of the Bard's best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent || ||hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten."|| ===================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:48:49 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: kiss me? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Dec-96 TMBG: kiss me? by Kmsog@aol.com > Has anyone ever actually heard or heard of Them playing Kiss Me, Son of God > live? They used to play it all the time... It appears on almost every show from 1990 and earlier, and they occasionally played it on the Apollo 18 tour. It appears on Dr. Spock's Backup Band from 6/27/92, and possibly some others. I think they stopped playing it towards the end of 1992, though. It's unfortunate, really... I like the live version of that. Since the band isn't necessary for it, it's possible that they could play it if, say, a huge number of people in the audience shouted it out, which brings me to my next topic.... The Pittsburgh show. I and about 15-30 other people from CMU are going to be attending this concert. I'm going to try to coordinate something with them so that at a certain point in the show, everyone simultaneously yells out "She's an Angel!" at the top of their lungs. They're bound to hear it, and, if nothing else, tell us they can't play it. But if enough people say it, maybe we'll be surprised... (if we can get other people involved in this, it would be great) Basically, my method is to determine what songs are guaranteed to be in the set, and have everyone shout after a certain song... perhaps Birdhouse? Istanbul? S-E-X-X-Y? Who knows... but we should try to coordinate this. Maybe more than just one song, too. Fingertips, anyone? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-334 ******************************