Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-335 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 335 Saturday, 7 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: and given time...we'll find it strange to...be alone (sheer genius) Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: More stuff TMBG: Linnell's girl TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review **mr. kelley kent please read** Re:TMBG: disappointed and distraught TMBG: BOBA MAIL: 12-4-96 Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: about what I posted. Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? TMBG: They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. TMBG: videos Re: TMBG: in rolling stone Re: TMBG: about what I posted. TMBG: Rochester show TMBG: Flans fashion, music fest etc. Re: TMBG: about what I posted. Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Re: TMBG: For all going to the Cincy show tomorrow (12/5/96) TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Re: TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review **mr. kelley kent please read** TMBG: Cover Compilation TMBG: The Imaginary Concert Re: TMBG: about what I posted. TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: The whole mainstream things. Re: TMBG: Cover Compilation Re: TMBG: The Imaginary Concert Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Cover Compilation TMBG: Sega CD Re: TMBG: Them on Muppets Tonite! TMBG: Bogart's safety Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Sega CD Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Re: TMBG: Linnell's girl TMBG: Cincinnati Show - 5 December 1996 Re: TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review Re: TMBG: Bogart's safety TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: Re: Syd Straw Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires TMBG: Fwd: Re: response to music section.. Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires -Reply Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Fwd: Re: response to music section.. TMBG: what I said TMBG: who's coming to rochester so far... Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** TMBG: just bought S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... TMBG: Clarissa Re: TMBG: Cincinnati Show - 5 December 1996 TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Mainstream USA!" Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? TMBG: encore! TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG TMBG: Denison Univ. Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: SuperCharged Freaksicle By Christmas? TMBG: Hooked on TMBG and Question TMBG: (no subject) Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. Re: Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires -Reply Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** TMBG: Happiness bleed from every street corner... TMBG:the day,being gay,richard bey Re: TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: TMBG TMBG: And biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows... TMBG: the FAQ: whoops... TMBG: WGAWTS my favorite abbreviation, an other stuff TMBG: The Best Concert Ever TMBG: Then: Early Years cover Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Paul is dead!" Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 TMBG: Someone in a club tonight has stolen my ideas TMBG: Tours TMBG: Re: The Best Concert Ever TMBG: Re: So I rolled down the window and said "Paul is dead!" TMBG: RE: Is HotCha gay? TMBG: Hyperstudio Stack TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. TMBG: (Fwd) Hello '96 TMBG: An Interesting Thought Re: TMBG: about what I posted/Torching Journalists TMBG: Re: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. TMBG: here in the hall of heads TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** TMBG: Cincinnatti! TMBG: Yayayayayayaya! 1 more day! Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought TMBG: Meet James Ensor Re: TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 02:03:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: and given time...we'll find it strange to...be alone (sheer genius) In a message dated 96-12-05 17:33:14 EST, frankh@awod.com (Brother JohnBejezus) writes: > They are NOT gay! Flansburgh just got married! They're not? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 03:17:45 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" > Does anyone else think that the b&w close-up of J&J in the middle of They'll > Need A Crane, right when J sings "didn't mean to say nightmare" is > absolutely GORGEOUS?? YES yes yes I agree. I also like him in the video for The Guitar at the beginning, when he's got the bass. And as for the show next Friday, the 13th.....it is at Denison University, which is in Granville, Ohio. Granville is northeast of columbus, and as far as I can tell it's abut 25 miles or so outside of the city. I can get people *to* Granville, but I have no idea where to go after that. Anyone have a friend that goes to Denison? and on a related note...Boba and I were discussing the fact that it would be so much easier to find other list members at shows if we had the infamous List T-Shirts! Anyone still on that idea? I'd love to help, or even take over the project if anyone's still interested. I may even be able to silkscreen them myself....but we'll worry about that later. Email me with suggestions, and I think Tom Hare (?) has ideas on his web page. Till later, Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Mind Over Matter: No one ever falls in love with another person's mind at a cocktail party. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 05:39:37 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? > I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, > was introduced to TMBG through Flood. Now I have them all, but Flood is > the gateway for me (as it was for many). Well, Flood was my gateway, thanks to the Dr. Demento show. But I've said all this before. > What I am REALLY curious to know... are new fans being attracted by John > Henry or Factory Showroom? I have a friend named Bryan (who I've been writing an awful lot about lately) who I was friends with when I got into TMBG. He always listened to Them when I would play Flood or Lincoln or whatever album ,but he never really got into TMBG too much. Well, when FS came out, he hears SEXXY on the radio a lot, and really liked it. He went out and bought Factory Showroom, and just recently went to see Them with me in Columbus. So yes, it's true -- people can get hooked through Their "new" sound. Just thought I'd share. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org The thunder was ominous-sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play. (Barbara Fetherolf) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 05:52:12 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: More stuff KdsInThHal@aol.com (~sarah) wrote: >TMBG: The Movie. (LOL!) >STARRING: > >Dan AKROYD as John FLANSBURGH! >Lyle LOVETT as John LINNELL! >Richard SIMMONS as Brian DOHERTY! >Weird AL as Eric WAH WAH Schemerhorn! >FABIO as Grahm MABY! Wow, what a lineup! Although I'd have to say David Spade as John Linnell...of course he'd have to dye his hair and stop being so sarcastic, but Spade is the first person that Linnell reminded me of. I love the "Weird Al" as Eric idea....heh heh heh. But what's this about Fabio? Sure Grahm is good-looking and all, but....? ;) BlueDawg wrote: >Musicfest thingie: >Mono Puff >John Linnell >Frank Black >XTC (yeah, right) >Warren Zevon >Live >Myke Weiskopf (heh heh heh) I like this lineup the best out of all of those proposed so far. Good choices, Dawg :) stay8049@bureau.ucc.ie (vale.) wrote: >- linnell had a girlfriend- but i dumped him Um...hmm, I don't know what to think about this one. Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Linnell's girl Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 05:20:50 -0600 Well, according to someone on this list, linnelll had a girlfriend at least once because (i cant remember who) they had met her. I dont know why i bother to remember almost everything said on this list, i must have no life ? oh well. |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| | Wyatt Glodell | | WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM | |_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:34:28 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review **mr. kelley kent please read** here goes: older sleeping in the flowers james k polk xtc vs. adam ant exquisite dead guy pet name particle man counterfeit faker on the drag spider aka driver (2 of hearts mixed in) maybe i know spiraling shape birdhouse in your soul spy (super long!! john l. led... sent it to flans who sent graham going wild .... sent it back to john l.) sensurround whistling in the dark the guitar no one knows my plan (conga!) how can i sing like a girl? till my head falls off dig my grave (totally rockin') --------encore-------- s-e-x-x-y your own worst enemy new york city twisting --------encore-------- they got lost this was a totally rockin' show... linnell seemed to be in a GREAT mood... this was my 7th show & my first where he seemed totally in it! i met erik "the lurker"... (speak up man!) and queen sneepy (who b.t.w. was really cool) but meet no other listers... as i posted before my green jello t-shirt was a flop, but i did have my "hello my name is: green jello" tag on after i went to walgreens and bought some stickers... (along withe my name tag... i had a black hooded sweatshirt on with the tmbg orange letters w/ postage stamps shirt over it, jeans and classic chucks [the brown leather ones w/ black soles], and i have really short dark brown hair and i'm 6'-2".... reading this it sounds really dumb, but you how when someone describes themself and you like didn't realize you had been talking to them & then you smack your head and go "duh that was so and so", because i must have talked to 100 people last night and maybe you were one of them. i arrived at about 5:45pm... i hate to refer to anyone who listens to tmbg in a negative way... but the people there when we got there... (about 3-5 people kinda coming and going) were very rude and very trashy, so annoying in fact that bob palindrome bob and myself could not stand to be near them... we just wandered up and down the street... got some subway and went to walgreens to get my stickers as i said above... in hindsight i should have realized that the lone guy standing as far away from these annoying people as possible was probably mr. kelley kent... *** i'm sorry to have abandoned you my friend... i hadn't read the list for the past 2 days and i didn't know until this morning of your plans... if i'd had read them i would have known... i just figured you were waiting for some friends and we didn't come back to get into line until about 10 mins before the doors opened... again i apologize, but what exactly happened to make you go home... *** inside the show we met some nice people (non-listies or maybe just lurkers) and the show was great... i danced and jumped and danced and jumped... i'm bone tired, hoarse, and partially deaf today and i feel GREAT! definately a top rate show!!!!!! -- Green Jello Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" Jake: "Hit it!!!" from "The Blues Brothers" http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:01:37 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: Re:TMBG: disappointed and distraught Kelley wrote : >I really don't feel like going into great detail at the present >time. Being humiliated once is enough for one day. Editors note: Please take notice that the entire article is NOT included. Kelley, after a post like this I think it would be appropriate to post exactly what happened. I have never had to leave a concert because of other fans. A lot of people on this group have never been to a TMBG show and you post may needlessly discourage them from doing so. The first TMBG show I ever went to was a little intimidating because I didn't know what to expect but the experience was so great I've been to 3 more since then. IMHO, until we hear what happened (to see if a trend is developing) you post is meaningless and should be disregarded. I would love to sympathize but I just can't. Erik "Speak softly drive a sherman tank, laugh hard it's a long way to the bank" ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:04:50 EST Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL: 12-4-96 Hey, I just thought I'd send my little giants story here: I travelled many many hours to see TMBG in Cleveland last Wednesday. My friend Tina and I got to the venue real early so we heard TMBG and Cub soundchecks. TMBG played SenSurround, Subliminal, (both not in the evenings show), Pet Name, and Exq Dead Guy. Later on they played many great tunes which I got an excellent recording of for all traders to enjoy. If anyone is interested, mail at Boba@tmbg.org. The address for My Bootleg Page is on my .sig file. See you guys later! Boba Out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Mark, maybe you should consider transferring to a school where Star Wars is more popular than Green Day." - Jon Bradley Snyder boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:32:48 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Amy wrote: > > I am curious to know what album first got you into TMBG? I, like many, > > was introduced to TMBG through Flood. The first album I heard was Flood. I was at a Summer Camp and they played it non-stop in certain places. I thought "hmm, what a cute little band." I then heard them on tiny tunes that next few months and thought "hmm, isn't that that cute band?" I ended up talking to a friend about Them, and he told me to listen to Apollo 18, it would really change my mind as to what They were all about. So I did, and it did. I then understood Them for the musical geniouses (sp?) They are. So which hooked me? Although I heard Flood first, A18 HOOKED me. SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:14:02 -0500 Subject: TMBG: about what I posted. I posted the newspaper article about Them which was really horrible and asked you guys to help me complain... well I just found the address to email to-- feedback@RochesterDandC.com thanks a bunch!!!!! :) this guy needs to be torched! ~sarah linnellgirl@aol.com http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Date: Fri, 6 Dec 96 10:43:03 -0600 From: Danny Jones >I have a friend named Bryan (who I've been writing an awful lot about >lately) who I was friends with when I got into TMBG. He always listened >to Them when I would play Flood or Lincoln or whatever album ,but he never >really got into TMBG too much. Well, when FS came out, he hears SEXXY on >the radio a lot, and really liked it. He went out and bought Factory >Showroom, and just recently went to see Them with me in Columbus. So yes, >it's true -- people can get hooked through Their "new" sound. Just >thought I'd share. >Amy :) That's really interesting to hear. I wonder if the other albums by TMBG will grow on Brian. In any case, I am happy to hear that others are indeed being attracted to TMBG because of John Henry and Factory Showroom. I've gotten several replies from folks (some in email) who also told stories about how one of those two albums hooked them. (Plus, I'd have to figure that anybody who was hooked by Factory Showroom might not have found the maillist yet - though I did hear from one.) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 11:48:05 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants I was really aghast at the ignorance portrayed in your short article promoting (if you can call it that) the They Might Be Giants concert. For one thing, Istanbul was released in 1990. Second of all, I am utterly sick of the priggish, close minded people that automatically dub TMBG as "quirky" without doing their homework. Must all popular music be loud and angry? By portraying TMGB in such a negative way, you have slammed a door to a wonderful place. TMBG fans aren't moody, angry at the world loners, they are almost always intelligent, fun, and happy people that just want to try to brighten someone elses day. What gives you the right to deprive people of this view? I uderstand your right to dislike TMBG, and thats fine, but why ruin it for others? How many people might have gone and really enjoyed themselves we will never know. I suppose that my dissapointment stems from the confusion of why you didn't promote it neutrally, instead of bashing it. I was under the impression that this is what every credible, truly informative press does. Considering your attitude, I think that I am still correct in thinking that. I now recognize that your publication doesn't belong with this catagory. Sincerely, Heather Tinkler editor of "Splink!" Sad Frog Prod. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:06:46 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Kevin McGuire wrote: > I had this discussion with a friend of mine: > (imagine the tinny noise of the musical band "Garbage" playing in the > background) > ME: I hates the popular music. > HIM: So is the ONLY band you like They Might Be Giants? > ME: Pretty much. > HIM: What if they were popular? would you still like them? > ME: Thats not possible, in order for TMBG to become popular, everyone > else would have to be really wierd, like me. I can't answer your > question. > HIM: Just- would you like them if they were popular? > ME: I told you, I can't answer that. In order for THEM to be > popular, everyone would have to be wierd, like me. That would never > happen. So I cannot answer that question. > > So what do yo guys think? Would They Might Be Giants still be cool if > they were mainstream? Or is that question unanswerable? I think all you poeple who think to yourselves that you're weird or elite by listening to they might be giants (as is everyone else who listens/likes the band by default) are fooling/deluding yourselves. Then again, I guess madness, paranoia, and an excess of self introspection are some of TMBG's biggest themes... erik ------------------------------ From: PHOLLER@jcs1.jcstate.edu Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 12:09:57 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: videos i have heard people on the list talking about a video compilation made by the fans, is there anyone who has this, or who has all of the as yet unavailable videos? thanks for your help j ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:22:07 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: in rolling stone On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: > > I was looking througha rolling stones magazine the other day, I a rad > picture of TMBG was in it. I was pretty pumped so I secretly tore it out Say, what issue of Rolling Stone is this? I want to see! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ Yes I'm your angel I'll give you everything in my magic power so make a wish and I'll let it come true for you tra la la la -cub --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:20:40 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: about what I posted. On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > I posted the newspaper article about Them which was really horrible and asked > you guys to help me complain... well I just found the address to email to-- > > feedback@RochesterDandC.com > > thanks a bunch!!!!! :) this guy needs to be torched! > > ~sarah > linnellgirl@aol.com > http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal > WOW! Take it easy! What's the matter, did this guy attack you personally? So he dosen't like TMBG. So what? That review wasn't that bad and I would like to think that a TMBG Christmas would not be a 'traditional' Christmas - I can get that at home! The guy was merely showing his dislike for the band's style. It's not like he said "They Suck!" Do you think that if we all send him flames he's going to start liking TMBG. No. Next time he writes a review he'll say: "I don't like TMBG's music that much, but on top of it their fans are a bunch of assholes!" That's really gonna help spread peace and harmony and TMBGness. Take it easy, Wubba ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Rochester show Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:50:51 -0500 Does anyone have any information on the show in Rochester on the 29th, such as where is it, who to call to get tickets (other than Ticketmaster, hopefully), etc. etc...? -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:49:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Flans fashion, music fest etc. first TMBG cd-- Misc. T. That settles that. >I was looking througha rolling stones magazine the other day, >I a rad picture of TMBG was in it. I was pretty pumped so I >secretly tore it out w/out letting the managment see. >Anyways. Flans is wearing this rad striped shirt, AND GUESS >WHAT?? I had bought one exactly like it about a month ago. >So I was quite proud of myself in my extremely good taste in >dressing Hee hee, I got a pair of converse sneakers (black with a white star and a sideways v-stripe... pretty rare) a few years ago, and after, discovered Flansburgh has the same ones! re: music fest-- Another thread I can't help but comment on... TMBG, Barenaked Ladies, Odds, Moxy Fruvous, with Pizzicato 5 and Stereolab for extra spice. :) And who knows... Wesley Willis for fun. ;) >I thought it was god but not great. Hee hee, don't you know TMBG are better than god! (reuniting yet another beatles thread on this list..) >REM: I started with the album, Out Of Time. Yup, me too. I was 10 when I got it for christmas. But that's the only REM cd I have. I've always wanted AFTP, but never got around to buying it. I prefer pre-bald REM. And re: Kelley's deal (hoo hoo, bad pun), keep in mind, there are people who somehow manage to go to every concert they can get into, even if they've never heard of the band. It must have been pretty horrible if it was the audience that made you leave. Don't you think you could share it with us? Minor details? ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:49:43 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: about what I posted. >>Do you think that if we all send him flames he's going to start liking TMBG. No. Next time he writes a review he'll say: "I don't like TMBG's music that much, but on top of it their fans are a bunch of assholes!" That's really gonna help spread peace and harmony and TMBGness. Take it easy,<< No, this guy is an asshole. The TMBG thing was what sent me over the edge. Believe me... `sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 12:56:19 EST hey, i heard tmbg at summer camp first too...my cabin would lipsinc whistling in the dark in the dark...i actually remember not liking particle man very much...well, my 1.5 cent(s), i forget, does that require a plural? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:15:55 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: TMBG: What TMBG album hooked you? On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 jting@MIT.EDU wrote: > hey, i heard tmbg at summer camp first too...my cabin would lipsinc whistling > in the dark in the dark...i actually remember not liking particle man very > much...well, my 1.5 cent(s), i forget, does that require a plural? > maybe. Can you read? if yes -----> http://www.live-wire.com/issue05/tmbg/ erik dont thank me now no sleep till brooklyn... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:34:03 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: For all going to the Cincy show tomorrow (12/5/96) well, I was there. I was thd 6' tall guy with the grey fleece or kick shirt I had the fleece around my waste mos of the time.. oh yeah, I was holding a tape recorder... :) didn't turn out too well though, the bass was too high and it's kinda messed... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Bill Laird wrote: > If you're going to the Cincinnati show tomorrow, I WILL be there. I > will be wearing my Tony Millionaire "drinking Bird" T-shirt and carrying > a sign that says "Go middle-sized star!" on it. I am about 6' tall and > have black hair and a beard. Call me "Bill" > > > Sensurround > ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:37:36 -0500 Let's just say that I'm not thrilled in having to write this. But I feel it is necessary in order to maintain any respect held to me by anyone on this list, especially all those who sent hate mail to me personally about what I did. I'll get to them later . . . So let me start again from where I left my apartment and was concert-bound. Like I had said, I left around 5:20 I guess. I got to Bogart's (the concert location) at about 5:30 or so. I was the 4th person in line, which was excellent, except that the previous 3 were in their own little conversation. Not wanting to butt in, I walked down to Walgreen's since there didn't seem to be a rush of people coming to get in line. At Walgreen's, I bought some Bianca breath freshener. It was on sale so I thought "Why not?" I paid for my purchase and walked out. Now I exited into the dark corridor, and hopefully Green Jello knows what I'm talking about, since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was just backed up against the wall and was told to hand over my money. Not being an idiot, I grabbed all the money in my jeans pocket and gave it to him and he left. Luckily I didn't bring my wallet, so it was just some loose bills and change. It probably didn't even add up to $20. And no, I did not pursue him. I guess it was shock more than anything. I've been living here and going to UC for a year and a half now, and I ALWAYS go to this particular shopping center (of sorts). I mean, Kroger's is just right down that dark corridor. That was the 1st time I had ever seen the corridor vacant of people. As I had mentioned above, I luckily wasn't carrying my wallet. But even luckier sstill was that my TMBG ticket was in my coat pocket. So it was not a total loss, and I decide I might as well go to the concert and just blow off my encounter. I mean, being a They fan for 5 years and this being the 1st, and maybe only, time I'd get a chance to see them, I was thrilled! So I walked back to Bogart's. I was still the 4th person there, only there was no way in the world I was going to try and introduce myself. I was still feeling kind of down about myself after being robbed. So I just stood there. Then I saw a group of 3 girls come walking down. One even had a They shirt, so things were looking up. Until those 3 girls saw the people already talking. "Hey, I saw you guys at the Columbus show!" one of them exclaimed. They were then absorbed into the conversation and I was once again alone. Yahoo. And then as more and more people came, they all seemed to know everyone else from previous shows, so the group grew larger, and I more distant. In fact, I KNOW I saw Green Jello now, because I saw you coming out of Subway. But I was just scared/degraded/etc because of that earlier incident. In fact, I started to ignore people as they came in the line. I just could not force myself to make eye contact. Now I've said in other messages how shy I ma, but I am never THAT shy. Thus, clearly being the odd man out, the large group of conversationalits began focussing their attention on me. And I shouldn't say attention, I should say humor. They first started by saying that I was over-dressed for the occasion. I was wearing blue jeans, a dark blue tee-shirt, and a white over-shirt that was unbuttoned. So I looked like a Penn State helmet, if that can help you visualise. Then their attention - oh, sorry - humor went to my coat. They said it was too heavy, too bright, too new-looking, blah, blah, blah. I don't know, it WAS chilly and it was drizzling, and it was a b-day gift for me last month. And with every remark they threw towards me, a hearty laugh would follow. When things started to be thrown at me (paperclips, change, etc) that's when I left for home. That was about 6:45. There was no way I was going to be able to enjoy the concert after that. So did I leave because of the crowd or because of my robbery? I really can't say. I might have been able to deal with just one of the above, but not both. And if you don't agree with what I did, fine. Because you can THINK about what you would/would not have done all you want because it didn't happen to you. If my previous letter (from last night) did look like I was trying to generalize TMBG fans, I gues I should appologize. I wanted to say what had happend to me without going into the specifics. I mean, being robbed is not something, you know, that you want to write about. Actually, hopefully you DON'T know. Oh well. And as for the hate mail . . . 10000ft Septic felt compeled to write this about my post yesterday: >This has to be one of the most snobbish posts I have read in my entire >ife!! I don't know what kind of background you come from, kiddo, but >it's time you got out into the real world and got a life!! Some of >these steps would be to; >1) Don't judge a book by it's cover - which, by the tone of your post, >sounds like you did!! All sorts of people enjoy They're music! Accept >that, and you're on a good start! I don't think my last post was snobbish. If it was, I do appologise. I was just trying to be VERY vague about what happened because it was somewhat embarrasing. :( And as for that "don't judge a book by it's cover" thing - you are a hypocrite. If you read this post on what really happened, you will agree. >>The idea of sitting at a gig just *crawls* me. Okay, as I have explained NUMEROUS times in my messages, I have never been to a TMBG concert. I did not know what to expect. I was thinking it would be kind of like the seats in a movie theatre, with plenty of room for moshing up front. And I never said I was planning on sitting the entire concert. Well, I've written a lot. I hope everyone can at least, maybe, imagine what I was going through. You don't have to like what I did, but just see where I was coming from. Hoping next time we meet under better terms, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) PS - Thanks to everyone who sent letters at least trying to understand what I did. I appreciate it. :) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:52:42 -0500 (EST) > since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, > I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? The concert here at Virginia Tech and the one at the Fairfax fair were great. The one I went to in downtown Buffalo, and in Washington DC were not quite so great. I'm a fairly big guy, and used to being downtown, yet I often feel uneasy at these places. I'll often wear my army jacket (not that I'm in the army, mind you) because I notice people tend to keep their distance. :-) I can't imagine showing up alone, espically if I was female, at some of these places. I dunno if this guys venue was in a sleezy part of town or not, I may be off on a tangent. I just know reading a sign warning about all the recent _______ (fill in favorite violent crime) outside the door someplace doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:53:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review **mr. kelley kent please read** Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setli.. by Green Jello@tmbg.org > whistling in the dark If there was no horn section, how did they do this? I know on the Flood tour it was just accordion and bass drum and a really different arrangement... I think it would be kind of neat if they brought that sort of thing back... Or did Linnell just cover everything on the accordion? Or did Eric play the horn parts on the guitar? Sounds like they did a lot of the new stuff they did earlier in the year - like SenSurround and On the Drag, which seemed to have been buried for a while... although I suppose now that the S-E-X-X-Y single is out, they'll be playing SenSurround more. (Why, though? They never seemed to play Mrs Train, Ondine, or SWAHD when Back to Skull came out...) ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:59:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Cover Compilation I'm writing in response to the proposed cover compilation tape. I e- mailed the guy who wanted to be in charge of it, but he never wrote me back so I assume he's not doing it. I would be interested in taking on this task. If anyone wants to be on this tape please e- mail me at boba@tmbg.org Boba Out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Mark, maybe you should consider transferring to a school where Star Wars is more popular than Green Day." - Jon Bradley Snyder boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:01:56 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: The Imaginary Concert >ps someone had a sort of irish twist to their sig.-eireann go brath has it >fallen into disfavour? i have none( sig not disfavour) If I remember correctly, someone had a Gaelic quote that translated to "Kiss My Ass" or something like that... or maybe it was the t-shirt my chemistry TA had on yesterday... everything's fading away... argh.. >Shoot i think It'd be all >right if it was just Tori and TMBG. It'd make my roommate happy, anyway. >12. They Might Be Giants --- S-E-X-X-Y --- Factory Showroom >Whooo! Movin' on up! (to the east side......) Umm... Ana Ng hit #1 on either the college music charts or the alternative charts (can't remember which, or even if there IS such a thing as a college music chart) back in '88. >lso, in regards to the 'great musicfest' someone mentioned, I would highly >prefer this one: > >Moxy Fruvous >Ben Folds Five >They Might Be Giants >A reunited Pixies, appearing for 1 show only! >Nirvana, back from the grave. > >Now _that_ would be a musicfest:) Throw in Simon & Garfunkel & Talking >Heads (both also back together of course, and ya can't go wrong). Last year our local paper (the San Jose Mercury News) had their music columnist do a thingie-- she asked the readers, "If you could have any five bands do a show together, who would you pick?" Someone wrote in a list that included TMBG and Simon & Garfunkel. She thought he was kidding. Nicole's personal lineup: TMBG Moxy Fruvous Barenaked Ladies Simon & Garfunkel an early music group (haven't decided who yet) Zat's all from Cowtown U. --nicole the wonder nerd who, upon learning that her roommate was pregnant, did the only sensible thing. She ordered a Baby Man t-shirt. *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:06:44 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: about what I posted. In a message dated 96-12-06 12:41:23 EST, erwst9+@pitt.edu (That rascal Eric Webber) writes: > > I posted the newspaper article about Them which was really horrible and > asked > > you guys to help me complain... well I just found the address to email to-- > > > > > feedback@RochesterDandC.com > > > > thanks a bunch!!!!! :) this guy needs to be torched! > > > > ~sarah > > linnellgirl@aol.com > > http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal > > > WOW! Take it easy! What's the matter, did this guy attack you personally? > So he dosen't like TMBG. So what? That review wasn't that bad and I would > like to think that a TMBG Christmas would not be a 'traditional' Christmas > - I can get that at home! The guy was merely showing his dislike for the > band's style. It's not like he said "They Suck!" > Do you think that if we all send him flames he's going to start liking > TMBG. No. Next time he writes a review he'll say: "I don't like TMBG's > music that much, but on top of it their fans are a bunch of assholes!" > That's really gonna help spread peace and harmony and TMBGness. > Take it easy, > Wubba Agreed completely---the article wasn't so negative that its author needed to be flamed. Flaming begets flaming--that's the way it is on the internet and in life in general. If you want this guy to start making TMBG look bad, then keep your anger up on high and watch what happens next. It could have helped if you had said what you thought of his article (-: objectively :-) and perhaps he would have saw that such a cool person couldn't like a mediocre band, so he might (with enough TMBGness) give them a fresh listen next time. Good luck. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:07:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? In a message dated 96-12-06 06:26:02 EST, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: > Well, according to someone on this list, linnelll had a girlfriend > at least once because (i cant remember who) they had met her. I dont know > why i bother to remember almost everything said on this list, i must have no > life ? oh well. Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now. If these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their first album? In case you don't have it, it's about "the day that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married" and the trees all (swayed and sang or something real...gay). It doesn't matter to me if they are gay or bi or pansexual for all I care. I still love Elton John and Pete Townsend and TMBG is my favorite band (along with my favorite line-up of Pink Floyd, Rush, REM (didn't like the GA boys for a while--LOL). Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: The whole mainstream things. Date: Fri, 06 Dec 96 11:03:00 P I guess there are a few different ways that TMBG could go mainstream. 1) their music would change to fit the general population. I think this would suck 2) the general population would change thier taste in music. Rad. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:13:28 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Cover Compilation umm, there's already a cover compilation tape out there, it's called Stumpbox... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, BOBA wrote: > I'm writing in response to the proposed cover compilation tape. I e- > mailed the guy who wanted to be in charge of it, but he never wrote > me back so I assume he's not doing it. I would be interested in > taking on this task. If anyone wants to be on this tape please e- > mail me at boba@tmbg.org > > Boba Out. > > ------------------------------------------------------- > -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. > > "Mark, maybe you should consider transferring to a school > > where Star Wars is more popular than Green Day." - Jon Bradley Snyder > > boba@tmbg.org > > > Check out my bootleg list, just updated: > > http://bobasboots.home.ml.org > ------------------------------------------------------ > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:15:18 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: The Imaginary Concert I'd personally keep all of those, but add in Soul Coughing and Monopuff. so, Flans has to do double duty, no big deal.... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >ps someone had a sort of irish twist to their sig.-eireann go brath has it > >fallen into disfavour? i have none( sig not disfavour) > > If I remember correctly, someone had a Gaelic quote that translated to "Kiss > My Ass" or something like that... or maybe it was the t-shirt my chemistry > TA had on yesterday... everything's fading away... argh.. > > >Shoot i think It'd be all > >right if it was just Tori and TMBG. > > It'd make my roommate happy, anyway. > > >12. They Might Be Giants --- S-E-X-X-Y --- Factory Showroom > >Whooo! Movin' on up! (to the east side......) > > Umm... Ana Ng hit #1 on either the college music charts or the alternative > charts (can't remember which, or even if there IS such a thing as a college > music chart) back in '88. > > >lso, in regards to the 'great musicfest' someone mentioned, I would highly > >prefer this one: > > > >Moxy Fruvous > >Ben Folds Five > >They Might Be Giants > >A reunited Pixies, appearing for 1 show only! > >Nirvana, back from the grave. > > > >Now _that_ would be a musicfest:) Throw in Simon & Garfunkel & Talking > >Heads (both also back together of course, and ya can't go wrong). > > Last year our local paper (the San Jose Mercury News) had their music > columnist do a thingie-- she asked the readers, "If you could have any five > bands do a show together, who would you pick?" Someone wrote in a list that > included TMBG and Simon & Garfunkel. > She thought he was kidding. > > Nicole's personal lineup: > TMBG > Moxy Fruvous > Barenaked Ladies > Simon & Garfunkel > an early music group (haven't decided who yet) > > Zat's all from Cowtown U. > > --nicole the wonder nerd > who, upon learning that her roommate was pregnant, did the only sensible > thing. She ordered a Baby Man t-shirt. > > > > *** > "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu > carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:16:36 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? well, Flans is married, so..... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 FamousName@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-12-06 06:26:02 EST, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt > Glodell) writes: > > > Well, according to someone on this list, linnelll had a girlfriend > > at least once because (i cant remember who) they had met her. I dont know > > why i bother to remember almost everything said on this list, i must have > no > > life ? oh well. > > Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now. If > these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their > first album? In case you don't have it, it's about "the day that Marvin Gaye > and Phil Ochs got married" and the trees all (swayed and sang or something > real...gay). > > It doesn't matter to me if they are gay or bi or pansexual for all I care. I > still love Elton John and Pete Townsend and TMBG is my favorite band (along > with my favorite line-up of Pink Floyd, Rush, REM (didn't like the GA boys > for a while--LOL). > > Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first > album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? > > Joseph Dowdy > ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:24:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** In a message dated 96-12-06 13:47:45 EST, kkent@uc.campus.mci.net (Kelley Kent) writes: > Well, I've written a lot. I hope everyone can at least, maybe, imagine > what I was going through. You don't have to like what I did, but just > see where I was coming from. You probably don't know it yet, but that was a great learning experience. If you had blurted out, "Look I just got robbed!!" people would have backed off. You may not know it, but by not opening your mouth and by taking sanctuary in being left alone, you made yourself a target. So, in the future, regardless of how painful it is. Just say hi to people who are obviously WITH you. It may not have seemed that they were with you, but they were with you in line and that is reason enough to say hi. Especially since what you have in common is that you are all TMBG fans. Please don't take this as a criticism. I realize that for someone who is very comfortable with being shy that it would be very hard for you at times and that perhaps I don't understand what it can be like. Believe it or not, if you want to be happy in life, you can't keep your distance from other people because you will just isolate yourself more and more as time goes by until you accept your shyness and get over it. We all have that one thing that makes us do things we regret (like leaving your first TMBG concert) and we all struggle with it. Don't feel alone. If you continue to isolate yourself, you will not discover that other people deal with their thing and overcome it by pushing through their comfort level to the point where they have broken through their handicap. You can't do it alone. BTW, I didn't read the first letter that you wrote about this incident, but I can tell you that it is probably not until you opened your mouth and talked straight about what happened that people will show you respect (just like at the concert). TMBG fans are your friends and they don't want to leave you alone (that's a good thing). Consider yourself blessed to have so many friends who want to understand you and who want to criticize you because they want to understand you. Love and peace, Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:21:29 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? At 14:07 12/6/96, FamousName@aol.com wrote: >Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first >album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? Because they just didn't care? I don't. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:18:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Cover Compilation > umm, there's already a cover compilation tape out there, it's called > Stumpbox... I was referring to the opposite cover idea, that bands who cover TMBG would wantto be on this. Boba Out. *------------------------------------------------------- -Matthew J. Ondrey, the man who owns every lost sock. "Mark, maybe you should consider transferring to a school where Star Wars is more popular than Green Day." - Jon Bradley Snyder boba@tmbg.org Check out my bootleg list, just updated: http://bobasboots.home.ml.org *------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 14:58:28 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Sega CD >I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on >Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. I know this was talked about a while ago, but... Which Sega CD did this come on? Was it with the 'new' model? (The one w/out the motorized tray) or the 'old' model? Was it on any particular theme pack? (you know... 'Sports Pack' comes Sega CD and a football game... 'Action Pack' comes with Mortal Kombat and the system...) How I got hooked: (Boring... you can skip it unless you're one of those who reads every word posted to the list so that you don't miss anything...) Heard Particle Man and Istanbul on Tiny Toons. That wasn't very memorable in itself, and I didn't immediately go buy Flood. Later I got the Dr Demento 25th Anniversary Collection. It has Particle Man on it, but I didn't buy it for that reason. Later I was driving with a friend in his car, and he had Flood playing in his CD player. I heard Istanbul, Dead, YRF, We Want A Rock, Whistling In The Dark, and Letterbox (Not necessarily in that order, but he skipped around a lot). I was loving it. I had to get that CD. The next day I went and found the one with Istanbul on it. They had the Istanbul single on CD, but I didn't get it (I wish I had), I got Flood instead. Um... If you're still reading this, I guess I'll tell you about a friend I hooked. He listened to Flood when I first got it, and every album since then. He's been meaning to get Flood for a long time, and then FS when it came out. Recently we went to a concert, and now he's like "I'm addicted! Man, I gotta get a CD... I can't listen to any other CDs without having a They Might Be Giants song get stuck in my head! I was whistling Don't Lets Start for two days!" Cool. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:06:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Them on Muppets Tonite! >Muppets Tonight >5358 Melrose Ave., 3rd Fl >Hollywood, CA 90038 > >Anyway, if everyone on the list (500 some if I remember correctly) were to >write to Muppets Tonight, I'm sure we could get something to happen. > I think we should do it. But... um... when is the show on? (They could play We've Got A World That Swings hehehe...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:22:28 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Bogart's safety > > since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, > > I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was > > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that > Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? The concert > here at Virginia Tech and the one at the Fairfax fair were > great. The one I went to in downtown Buffalo, and in Washington > DC were not quite so great. > I know what Leo meant about venues being in crappy parts of town. Here in St. Louis I've been to a few places (like the Side Door, if anyone on the list is familiar with St. Louis) that just scare me. But Bogart's in Cincinnati (note: I live in Ohio, and have been to countless shows at my dear ol' Bogart's) is not in a very bad part of town, in my opinion. I mean, it's downtown, which might scare some suburbanites or ruralites (i know, i know...), but it's not that bad. It's in a pretty popular shopping area for college students, and I've never seen the streets empty there. As I told Kelley privately, I'm really shocked that this would happen. I've always felt pretty safe there...but maybe it's just because I'm a "big guy" too...people tend to leave us alone... :P Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:26:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: disappointed and distraught > >So anyway, we're outside the Milkbar asking some people where the good places to go >dancing are. Jen blurts out, "Hey, the gay clubs have great music, do >you know where they are?" It turns out the people we were talking to >not only knew but were gay. Now I'm cool with that, whatever floats >your boat. I'll leave that one alone... Anyway, as to the original post... (Hold on... I'm reading Kelly's second message that may very well explain this...) Okay. In response to Both posts, I'll say this: What a rotten day. Robbed and made fun of. But you never know, the concert may have made it all better. As for NEVER going to a show again... Are you nuts?!? Go the next chance you have! Don't let people get you down. Even if they do throw stuff at you... (And why the hell would anyone do that?). I just went to my first concert, dragging along a friend who didn't even have a single TMBG album (but now wants all of them). We were feeling out of place. We're both high school sophomores, everyone around us were college students (Although there were some people in their forties... and one or two whole families). We got inside and (this is just as the doors opened) found some seats... but then I went to buy a t-shirt and we lost our seats... but standing up for 4 hours was fine, and my legs lost all feeling before They came on, so it was okay. Cub was OK and They were great! (I don't want this to turn into a review, so I'll stop) The point is, no matter what happens, you were there to see the concert, which (judging from reviews from this leg of the tour) would have been great! I don't know what I would've done in your situation, though. Probably would've gone home, put on some sad tmbg songs.. and thrown stuff against the wall. Hope your next concert experiance is better. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:11:03 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > At 14:07 12/6/96, FamousName@aol.com wrote: > >Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first > >album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? > > Because they just didn't care? > > I don't. > I don't really see why this would make people think They were gay. The thoght that this song had anything to do with gays never occured to me. I always felt the "marriage"(sp?) in this song meant the bringing together of completely disparate musical styles. And that if these styles could possibly be brought together then the whole world would be at peace. Wow, could I have been that blind to think that this is what the song is about. I mean, if They wanted to write a song about two gay guys getting married why the hell would they pick Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs. Two dead musicians from different generations, different syles of music? I dunno. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:40:44 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Sega CD On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on > >Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. > > I know this was talked about a while ago, but... > Which Sega CD did this come on? Was it with the 'new' model? (The one w/out > the motorized tray) or the 'old' model? Was it on any particular theme > pack? (you know... 'Sports Pack' comes Sega CD and a football game... > 'Action Pack' comes with Mortal Kombat and the system...) Uh, mine was the old one...with the tray. I think I got the greatest Sega hits as games. I bought it in like 1992. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "The back wheel's 'O' is now a letter 'D'...I was an 'I' and now I'm a 'V'"--J. S. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:39:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" >And as for the show next Friday, the 13th.....it is at Denison University, >which is in Granville, Ohio. Granville is northeast of columbus, and as >far as I can tell it's abut 25 miles or so outside of the city. I can get >people *to* Granville, but I have no idea where to go after that. Anyone >have a friend that goes to Denison? > woohoo! Living in Westerville, I should be halfway there already! (Also NE Columbus) Anyway... Is that the city with that Ice Cream parlor downtown? Victorian Something?? T-Shirts: I Can print on T-Shirt Transfer paper (You print something out in mirror image, then iron it onto a shirt). I think we should have the snowman w/ money, and perhaps a coffee cup and TMBG-LIST on the back? I don't want to spend too much money on one... Granville Show: I actually want to meet some list ppl at this one (I'm probably going). who all's going to be there? Lets arrange a meeting place in advance (afore mentioned Ice Cream parlor?) then go on to the concert. Anyone know where to get tickets? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:41:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's girl At 05:20 AM 12/6/96 -0600, you wrote: > Well, according to someone on this list, linnelll had a girlfriend >at least once well, I'm sure he's had at least one girlfriend in his life so far :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:48:22 -0800 From: Goat Boy Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati Show - 5 December 1996 I went to last night's show, and so thought I might want to give a bit of info on it... The opening band was called Cub, and it seemed everybody hated them. They were a punk girl band (described by many as "Green Day with breasts and without the talent - what talent?"). After this display, the Johns took the stage. They played mostly from Factory Showroom, with some John Henry and Flood tracks as well as a couple new songs ("Counterfeit Faker" was one, I can't recall the other). One very interesting thing they did was the performance of "Exquisite Dead Guy" which was sung not by John and John, but by severed heads on poles 15 feet in the air. On a personal note, this show (being my first) was the end of a very odd fact concerning myself and TMBG: before this show, I had never heard "Particle Man." Don't ask me how that happened, but for some reason, usually because I turn on the radio too early or too late, or leave a friend's house before it plays on the stereo, I had yet to hear it. I think it's a pretty cute song, so now I can buy Flood (I wouldn't buy it because I wanted to be "innocent" of the song for as long as possible). And, being in Cincinnati, there was a mosh pit that started during the performance of "No One Knows My Plan" - has this happened elsewhere? I really think it's just the jerks in Cincinnati...there was one guy who I swear would mosh to "Hey Jude" if it were played...oh well, my two cents. So for me, the show was great, but I could do without the people. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:50:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincinnati 12/5 setlist/kind of review At 08:34 AM 12/6/96 -0800, you wrote: >here goes: > >on the drag >spiraling shape >sensurround > > I really wish they'd played these at the columbus show. I was looking fwd to Spiralling Shape and Sensurround, and I've never heard on the drag. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:53:17 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Bogart's safety On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > > > since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, > > > I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was > > > > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that > > Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? The concert > > here at Virginia Tech and the one at the Fairfax fair were > > great. The one I went to in downtown Buffalo, and in Washington > > DC were not quite so great. > > > I know what Leo meant about venues being in crappy parts of town. Here > in St. Louis I've been to a few places (like the Side Door, if anyone on > the list is familiar with St. Louis) that just scare me. But Bogart's in > Cincinnati (note: I live in Ohio, and have been to countless shows at my > dear ol' Bogart's) is not in a very bad part of town, in my opinion. I > mean, it's downtown, which might scare some suburbanites or ruralites (i > know, i know...), but it's not that bad. It's in a pretty popular > shopping area for college students, and I've never seen the streets empty > there. As I told Kelley privately, I'm really shocked that this would > happen. I've always felt pretty safe there...but maybe it's just because > I'm a "big guy" too...people tend to leave us alone... :P Heh...I know exactly what y'all mean. One of my favorite clubs is in Downtown Newport News (really small, really local). I drive a Jeep, and really the only way to get there is to drive straight through the bad areas. Mind you, you can't lock canvas doors. Anyway, my method is as follows: 1. Wear a big, dark coat (Leo's Army thing sounds great, I've got a Secret-Service Style Black Trench) 2. Look pissed 3. Stick a stogie in the corner of your mouth (lighting optional) 4. Wear some sort of law-enforcement cap (I've got one of those attractive FBI caps) I've never had a problem over here with this method. I've only been jumped once, and that was by a gang of Turks in Heidelberg Germany. Again, tho, I'm a big guy (6'0, 200lbs), and I look like I might just be a Marine. I would go pretty much anywhere to see TMBG right now, tho. Hey, maybe Mono Puff could play my hangout.... Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "The back wheel's 'O' is now a letter 'D'...I was an 'I' and now I'm a 'V'"--J. S. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:56:48 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... > KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > > > I was just sitting here, when this obscure thought raced into my mind and > > dashed away. > > TMBG: The Movie. (LOL!) > > STARRING: > > > > Dan AKROYD as John FLANSBURGH! > > Lyle LOVETT as John LINNELL! > > Richard SIMMONS as Brian DOHERTY! > > Weird AL as Eric WAH WAH Schemerhorn! > > FABIO as Grahm MABY! > > > > Don't ask....... > > (BTW- I am NO Fabio fan!) How about Eddie Murphy playing all of them? :) Hey, he did it in "The Nutty Professer". By the way, Fabio's gay. -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:03:15 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) > Nothing's gonna change my clothes (mind) Ummm, isn't that nothing's gonaa change my clothes(world)? Neither one is a common expression, but the second one is a Beatles reference, and I've never heard "Nothing's Gonna Change My Mind". -- "I still don't have a permanent signature" Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 16:01:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? >Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now. If >these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their >first album? In case you don't have it, it's about "the day that Marvin Gaye >and Phil Ochs got married" and the trees all (swayed and sang or something >real...gay). If a song is about two guys getting married, then the band who wrote it MUST be gay... I suppose Robin Williams is gay, he played a gay person in a movie, right? Well there you go! Gay. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 16:08:54 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Syd Straw Jenifer W Stewart wrote: > > I was just curious...does anyone know whatever happened to Syd Straw? > Are They still friends with her? Just wondering.... Funny you should ask... Syd Straw has an album out called "War and Peace", which is described as "Hard-traveled tales from the ex-Golden Palominos country-rocker." The song mentioned is called "The Toughest Girl in the World". I actually found it at a store lately, but didn't buy it. -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:12:48 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires Hi everyone It's come to my attention that one of my comments has been misinterpreted. I did not mean to imply that "eireann go brath" means "kiss my ass"; I do know what it means ("Ireland forever" or something similar; one of my cousins is an Irish history major). The post I was responding to was something about seeing a Gaelic saying with a twist (or something, I don't quite remember), and I remembered a t-shirt my chem TA (he's an international student from Ireland) was wearing the other day that said "pogue mo thoin", and I asked him what it meant, and he said that it was Irish for "kiss my ass." (Apparently it's also the name of a music group, but that's a different matter entirely.) Anyway, the point of this is that I did not intend to annoy or offend anyone, and I'm sincerely, humbly sorry if I did so. I love Ireland and all our Irish friends, and I'm part Irish myself. --nicole the embarrassed wonder nerd who is sentencing herself to a public whipping as punishment. *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:03:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fwd: Re: response to music section.. well, I guess my response worked. :) ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal --------------------- Forwarded message: From: feedback@RochesterDandC.com (David Lindley) To: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: 96-12-06 13:51:38 EST At 11:14 AM 12/6/96 -0500, you wrote: >I am left very angry at Jeff Spevak's blurb about They Might Be Giants' >upcoming Water Street concert. I happen to be a big fan of TMBG, and I took >offense. "Loopy '80's hit"? It came out in 1990! A little different. And >going on about how non-festive it won't be??? What?!?! How does he know? They >actually do have some holiday songs, and I would be suprised if they didn't >perform them! "Be warned:" warned about what, about how good they are? Oh we >wouldn't want that, would we. >And the fact that he gave out the secret address to 98 PXY's private concert >is just low. I don't even listen to that station, and I think that is a >dispickable thing to do. Just because he doesn't like their music. Oh jeez... >D and C, are you considering hiring a new music reporter? You ought to. > > ---Annoyed. > > Annoyed: I'll pass this on to Jeff and the features editor. In the meantime, have you checked out our Alt site? It's just a little web site where we're trying to focus on local bands. There's also a discussion board there, were you could let us know how the TMBG show is. Thanks for writing. =============================================== David Lindley Digital Edition -- Gannett Rochester Newspapers dlindley@RochesterDandC.com (716) 258-9746 =============================================== ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:26:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: final fears of a .. by Jonah@baka.com > Ummm, isn't that nothing's gonaa change my clothes(world)? Neither one > is a common expression, but the second one is a Beatles reference, and > I've never heard "Nothing's Gonna Change My Mind". Perhaps it is... I've heard people say things similar to Nothing's gonna change my mind... even if it's not exactly word for word, it's the same principle. "You can't change my mind..." or "I don't want to change your mind..." I think that's really what they're playing on. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:41:50 -0600 From: Joe Wandolowski Subject: Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires -Reply DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET OFF THIS LISTING IF SO CAN YOU HELP ME THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!! Sorry about shouting with caps ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:47:06 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? In a message dated 96-12-06 15:34:11 EST, erwst9+@pitt.edu (That rascal Eric Webber) writes: > Wow, could I have been that blind to think that this is what the song is > about. I mean, if They wanted to write a song about two gay guys getting > married why the hell would they pick Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs. It's my understanding that they did marry. As in literally. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading or hearing about it from a different source. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:50:02 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Fwd: Re: response to music section.. On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > well, I guess my response worked. :) > Annoyed: > > I'll pass this on to Jeff and the features editor. > > In the meantime, have you checked out our Alt site? It's just a little web > site where we're trying to focus on local bands. There's also a discussion > board there, were you could let us know how the TMBG show is. Funny, isn't it, that he simply avoided the question and gave a plug for a web site. I don't think that your response actually worked. The fella probably just deleted the message, told you something he figured you would make you feel happy without commiting himself to do anything, and went along his merry way. oh well...Just how I see it... SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:37:10 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: what I said Ellen Kao wrote: > > On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Heather Tinkler wrote: > > you have slammed a door to a wonderful place. TMBG fans aren't moody, > > angry at the world loners, they are almost always intelligent, fun, > > and happy people that just want to try to brighten someone elses day. > Sorry about the misconceptions.. I was just meaning against the mega trendy, lets all wear black- act depressed ALL the time- listen only to music that screams "death death death" not because we really want to, but because it's the cool thing to do crowd... again.. no one personally.. we all have our good and bad days. I didn't mean to make anyone angry, least of all a fellow TMBG fan. (and no, I haven't met a WHOLE lot-- I hail from Oklahoma, remember?) I realize that there are (gasp) some Giant fans that like Them to be "different" and "weird". I also wasn't attacking this guys right to what he thinks.. I just think he could have worded it better. Real wanna be informative papers express their opinions, but not in such a negative way. Again, I'm sorry.. and I just want to remind everyone that sometimes through mail, it's hard to interpret HOW someone is saying something, so please don't be so quick to get angry. Heather > well I have to say that you are also making completely untrue > overgeneralisations here. I am very moody and very much the loner among > other such fun upbeat traits. I am not a happy shining person. I don't > know how many tmbg fans you've met, but I guess you haven't met me. Am I > just the exception? Probably not > > ekao ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:31:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: who's coming to rochester so far... here's what I have so far. I know I'm 3 weeks early, but I'm anxious. me mwood@ican.net (Mike Wood) fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu (fransburgh) VP2452GW@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Todd Kluss) moot2120@mach1.wlu.ca (Robert Mootrey u) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: 6 Dec 1996 22:39:51 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** > > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that > Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? Their Brisbane, Australia concert last year was at the Roxy in Fortitude Valley, smack in the middle of the red-light district. Can't get much sleazier than that. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 16:46:40 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: just bought S-E-X-X-Y I just bought the S-E-X-X-Y single and it just rocks... well while I was buying the dern thing I was lookin' around Planet Music and on their display for new releases and there it was Factory Showroom but the card above it said warehouse floor...hmmm...well I was intriuged(sp) so I asked and they really did fug up.. anyway that's my anecdote for today.. nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:54:08 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? In a message dated 96-12-06 16:15:18 EST, chakroff@ix.netcom.com (Evan Chakroff) writes: > If a song is about two guys getting married, then the band who wrote it > MUST be gay... I suppose Robin Williams is gay, he played a gay person in a > movie, right? Well there you go! Gay. Well, I don't know if I would go that far. While Robin Williams is a very happy guy, I don't think (but I don't know) if he's gay. He is married (twice now I think) and has kids. This actually changes my mind about my question. I don't know if it means that they might be gay. It could. But then again, they are a very unconventional band. I don't think it was meant as an unconventional song, though. It was very mellow and I found it difficult to go where the lyrics go. I just couldn't go with the feeling portrayed by the song that two guys getting married glows with warm fuzzies and trees smiling and all that. It's not out of character for Robin Williams to play a gay guy. He'll do a lot for a laugh or a couple million. Hell, I'd play a gay guy in a starring role for that much money. Where's the dress? If people thought I was gay, I'd laugh as I drive my Viper to the bank. But if I made an album, I would not (as a form of self-expression) put a song on it about something that I found repulsive. It may be sweet to certain people, but it's a brand of cheese I don't like or buy. Not to say that it's bad or that it's not allowable. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:01:06 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Leo Bicknell wrote: > > > since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, > > I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was > > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that > Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? The concert > here at Virginia Tech and the one at the Fairfax fair were > great. The one I went to in downtown Buffalo, and in Washington > DC were not quite so great. > > I'm a fairly big guy, and used to being downtown, yet > I often feel uneasy at these places. I'll often wear my army > jacket (not that I'm in the army, mind you) because I notice > people tend to keep their distance. :-) I can't imagine showing > up alone, espically if I was female, at some of these places. > > I dunno if this guys venue was in a sleezy part of town > or not, I may be off on a tangent. I just know reading a sign > warning about all the recent _______ (fill in favorite violent > crime) outside the door someplace doesn't give you a warm fuzzy > feeling. This is exactly why I couldn't go to the Milwaukee concert. Basically, my parents decided (and my friend's parents, too) decided that the Rave was too close to inner-city Milwaukee for them. I didn't have a real big problem with it, cuz I can defend myself pretty well, but hey, these are parents I'm talkin' about. PS just for my personal edification, how was the weather after the Milwaukee show? -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:09:57 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 18:23:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? See This---> IT'S *SARCASM* >> If a song is about two guys getting married, then the band who wrote it >> MUST be gay... I suppose Robin Williams is gay, he played a gay person in >>a movie, right? Well there you go! Gay. > >Well, I don't know if I would go that far. While Robin Williams is a very >happy guy, I don't think (but I don't know) if he's gay. He is married (twice >now I think) and has kids. > >This actually changes my mind about my question. I don't know if it means >that they might be gay. It could. But then again, they are a very >unconventional band. I don't think it was meant as an unconventional song, >though. It was very mellow and I found it difficult to go where the lyrics >go. I just couldn't go with the feeling portrayed by the song that two guys >getting married glows with warm fuzzies and trees smiling and all that. > Now that I think about it, the Interp proposed by Eric Webber makes sense with that. And besides, why wouldn't two people (gay or not) getting married be a happy occasion? >It's not out of character for Robin Williams to play a gay guy. He'll do a >lot for a laugh or a couple million. Hell, I'd play a gay guy in a starring >role for that much money. Where's the dress? > All homosexuals are transvestites? >But if I made an album, I would not (as a form of self-expression) put a song >on it about something that I found repulsive. It may be sweet to certain >people, but it's a brand of cheese I don't like or buy. Not to say that it's >bad or that it's not allowable. The Johns obviously did not find it repulsive (if that is in fact what they had in mind while writing it). And of course, as a musician you (or the Johns) would not write a song with lyrics like "Faggots must die!" or something like that. That isn't how they write music. I have nothing against homosexuals, but I have nothing in favor of them either. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 18:24:16 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: I have the weirdest thoughts... >How about Eddie Murphy playing all of them? :) Hey, he did it in "The >Nutty Professer". >By the way, Fabio's gay. Linking together two threads. The trees all waved their giant arms... ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 18:33:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Clarissa Is Melissa Joan Hart (Clarissa) a TMBG fan, or is it just part of her character? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:40:21 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincinnati Show - 5 December 1996 > And, being in Cincinnati, there was a mosh pit that started during the > performance of "No One Knows My Plan" - has this happened elsewhere? I > really think it's just the jerks in Cincinnati...there was one guy who I > swear would mosh to "Hey Jude" if it were played...oh well, my two > cents. > So for me, the show was great, but I could do without the people. > Yeah, I have to admit that the crowds at Cincinnati shows tend to suck. I still remember almost having my kneecap broken by some skinhead at a Mighty Mighty Bosstones show there...(but for $3, what do you expect?). It always seems as though everyone either stands around doing nothing, or they mosh to non-moshable songs (which, IMHO, is every song) with the intent to kill and maim. So, to all you Cincinnati goers...trust me, it's better other places. For example, ska shows in St. Louis are great...but that's irrelevant I guess. So see you later. Bill tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Our only weapon is a song..." --Mighty Mighty Bosstones ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:49:14 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Mainstream USA!" Charles Box sez: >Just thought I would drop my input on this thread.. I seem to see A LOT of >"the first TMBG album I bought was John Henry and it is their best please >don't bash my favorite album"... sorry to say, but am I the only one who >has listened to them since they first came out? Well, when the first album came out, I was in elementary school, but Pink got me first. A friend of mine randomly bought it at a used record store and let me copy it, and things took off (in order of release, more or less) from there. AS for JH, I used to be sort of bored with it and ever since FS came out, I've liked it much more. Take that as you like it, I guess. To add to my Input on Useless Threads: TMBG REM (pre-Green) Madness, reunited Hey folks: Who cares whether they'd still be good if they go mainstream? Everyone has his/her own opinion. To put it harshly, quit taking up mailbox space. Intolerantly yours, Kilroy Extra crispy since 1979 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 19:58:53 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 At 05:09 PM 12/6/96 -0600, Simon Koch wrote: >For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was >possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of >heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? > It was suggested earlier that it refered to a hall of heads in a later book of the Oz series. (Also depicted in the crappy movie Return To Oz or somesuch (from the 80's) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:16:16 -0500 From: Hemi Organization: HeLLO Subject: TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? Simon Koch wrote: > > Leo Bicknell wrote: > > > > > > > >I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was > > > > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that > > Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? The concert > > here at Virginia Tech and the one at the Fairfax fair were > > great. The one I went to in downtown Buffalo, and in Washington > > DC were not quite so great. > > > This is exactly why I couldn't go to the Milwaukee concert. Basically, > my parents decided (and my friend's parents, too) decided that the Rave > was too close to inner-city Milwaukee for them. Same problem I'm having with my parents -- only in Washington, D.C., at the 9:30 NightClub, at the corner of V and 9th streets. Anyone been there? My mother is vehemently opposed to the idea, and she's not letting me go. She says it's a bad part of town and full of crime. As if I'd be risking my life if I went. But the thing is that she usually let's me go almost anywhere. Could someone who's been to the club comment on the safeness of the neighborhood, concerning parking, or security,etc.? How bad is it really? I had REALLY been looking forward to going. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 11:41:13 -0500 From: dstange Organization: Praise the LORD! Subject: TMBG: encore! > > it's degrading, we know you're gonna come back!" > I have never heard greater words. I CAN'T stand this ritual of making everyone > scream and yell for more when the group is going to play more anyway. No matter > how excited/unexcited an audience has been I have never heard a group say "Wow, > since you guys are so great, we're going to play even more." This does tend to > be degrading. I have, a few times. There's a disco band here called Butterfly, and once when I saw them they whipped the crowd into such a frenzy that after the venue had them leave the stage, the audience was still dancing to silence, keeping time with a chant of "Ooh Ooh Butterfly, Bye-bye Butterfly" And we WOULD NOT leave. after about five minutes, the owner of the club came out and said "Okay, we'll bring the band back up for one more song if you prmoise that afterward you'll all leave so these nice people can clean up the bar." And that's exactly what happened. When I saw Smashing Pumpkins in a huge stadium, they left us twice, made us scream for finve-ten minutes... then came back. And those "encores" were already on the set list. *That* is what we all hate. Maybe if we didn't cheer they would have gone home. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:41:52 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: TMBG today I listened to all six tmbg albums all the way through, in order. Can you do that? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:58:35 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG sorry... that was meant to go to a freind of mine... although it was the first time i'd listened to all six in order straight through... pretty neat. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 21:11:34 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Denison Univ. Anyone know how to get there? Tickets? Time? Anyone going who is planning on calling and finding out about it? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 21:23:58 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 FamousName@aol.com wrote: > > Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now. If > these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their > first album? In case you don't have it, it's about "the day that Marvin Gaye > and Phil Ochs got married" and the trees all (swayed and sang or something > real...gay). > Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first > album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? > > Joseph Dowdy > I have listened to The Day hundreds of times I'm sure and I never got the impression that it had anything to do with being gay. I don't think it has anything to do with that. It might be a song about music. (Scratches chin in thought). MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:36:42 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: SuperCharged Freaksicle By Christmas? My mom was listening to the radio (101.1 if you're in Columbus area) and they said something about a 2-disc b-side compilation with 13 new songs coming out by christmas. This, I assume, would be Freaksicle, rather than Then:, due to the fact that they said b-sides. Someone else said they say TMBG on a new release list for december... I thought elektra said 2nd or 3rd quarter? But that would be great if we all got SF in our stockings this December 25. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:51:58 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Hooked on TMBG and Question I first got into TMBG when listening to Dr. Demento. He used to play Shoe Horn With Teeth which I thought was pretty cool and I was fascinated by the weird piece of music at the end of Where Your eyes Don't Go. Then at 11:00 every night I swear for the longest time M-TV would show the video for Birdhouse in Your Soul, and it was such a happy sounding song so one day I took my credit card and went to the record store and bought Lincoln and Flood strictly on impulse. I wasn't really impressed at first but then one night I was recording Flood for a friend and became absolutely fascinated with it, why I really couldn't say, but it soon became one of my favorite albums. When Apollo 18 came out I loved that one even more, but I am really not good at discussing them. I listen to the music and let it take me where it will. TMBG, best high I've ever had! Best bands for a Music Fest would be Frank Black, Brian Dewan, Matthew Sweet (maybe), Dave Edmonds (maybe), George Thorogood, (bad spelling), Marshal Crenshaw, Mono Puff (because it would be my only chance to see them), and headlining the whole thing, TMBG, of course! Now I have a question. Remember that awful thread of Linnell versus Flans, No, I don't want to start that thread again), but it seemed that most people on this list seemed to kind of favor Linnell. Now I want to find some Flans freaks, please Email me personally on this as I don't want to start a gross list thread, but I am just curious. You don't have to tell me why if you don't want to, and I promise to keep it confidential so fess up. This is a wonderful list, good night! Linda, who hasn't figured out how to do that signature thing on the computer, but this system is so poor I probably couldn't do it, anyway ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:14:18 -0800 From: Cody Reynolds Subject: TMBG: (no subject) sudscribe freon@mtn-webtech.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:24:56 EST On Fri, 06 Dec 1996 18:23:01 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >>go. I just couldn't go with the feeling portrayed by the song that >two >guys > >>getting married glows with warm fuzzies and trees smiling and all >that. > >Now that I think about it, the Interp proposed by Eric Webber makes >sense >with that. And besides, why wouldn't two people (gay or not) getting >married be a happy occasion? > > >The Johns obviously did not find it repulsive (if that is in fact what >they had in mind while writing it). And of course, as a musician you >(or >the Johns) would not write a song with lyrics like "Faggots must die!" >or >something like that. That isn't how they write music. I have nothing >against homosexuals, but I have nothing in favor of them either. > >-- > Am I the ONLY one who has always interpreted this song to mean that maybe They were talking about Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs (two big sixties musicians) got married on the same day--BUT not necessarily to each other? Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs were both pretty popular in their day, but as far as I know, Marvin Gaye wasn't gay (I don't know much about Phil Ochs). Maybe the song had a little sarcasm to it. A lot of people would be really bummed if say Brad Pitt and George Clooney got married-on the same day, no less. A lot of girls might be heart-broken. Besides that, I DON'T think that They would write a song which poked fun at homosexuals, especially since They dedicated this album to a good friend of theirs who had just died of AIDs. This would be tacky. I imagine that in the business that they're in, I'm sure that They have several friends who are gay. In fact, Linnell could be gay. The point is, who cares? It has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to write incredible music and it's quite frankly nobody's business but his own. Just my 2 cents;) Jen Mammal, mammal, Their names are called They raise a paw...... - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 96 22:27 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: HEY! READ THIS! If you want to, its not necessary. > I think all you poeple who think to yourselves that you're weird >or elite by listening to they might be giants (as is everyone else who >listens/likes the band by default) are fooling/deluding yourselves. Well, it depends. I don't announce to people, "Hey, I'm weird, I love TMBG." Usually, they say, "What kind of music do you like?" and i say, "Well, y'know, They Might Be Giants are my all time favorite. I also like... blah blah blah." Usually then they say, "I've never heard of that/those band(s). You're weird." I really don't see anything odd about liking TMBG. They're a great band. So it doesn't make me weird in my *own* eyes, necessarily; but it does make me weird in some other people's. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: uh-oh, crossed wires -Reply From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:29:23 EST On Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:41:50 -0600 Joe Wandolowski writes: >DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET OFF THIS LISTING IF SO CAN YOU HELP ME > >THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!! > >Sorry about shouting with caps You wait till this listing comes to a near-to-complete stop and then you jump off quickly before it takes off again... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:29:24 EST On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:47:06 -0500 FamousName@aol.com writes: >In a message dated 96-12-06 15:34:11 EST, erwst9+@pitt.edu (That >rascal Eric >Webber) writes: > >> Wow, could I have been that blind to think that this is what the song is >> about. I mean, if They wanted to write a song about two gay guys getting >> married why the hell would they pick Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs. > >It's my understanding that they did marry. As in literally. > >I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading or hearing about it from a >different source. I think you are overlooking one major/minor point here, gays are not allowed to get married in the U.S. today, let alone back when these two guys were still alive... Besides... I assumed that the song had something to do with some project that the two performers may have sometime done or something...Aren't they both Motown-ish? *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:34:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: what really happe.. by Simon Koch@mail.rpn.full > This is exactly why I couldn't go to the Milwaukee concert. Basically, > my parents decided (and my friend's parents, too) decided that the Rave > was too close to inner-city Milwaukee for them. I didn't have a real > big problem with it, cuz I can defend myself pretty well, but hey, these > are parents I'm talkin' about. See, what you have to do is have a way around it... my story about going to the 9:30 club... June 7. I go to the Fairfax Fair, tape the concert using my video camera, concealed in its case so it looks like it's off (damn, I could have video taped it!) Before I can transfer it to audio, half gets erased as it sits in the VCR and my dad, forgetting the tape was in there, hits record. June 8. I post this problem to the mailing list and newsgroup, and get some responses from people who also taped it. Assuming these people are in the DC area, we try to arrange some way of meeting and exchanging tapes. June 27. I get a call from one of the people who responded (you know who you are) saying that Mono Puff is at the 9:30 club that night, and they'd like to meet me if, for no other reason, than to find out who they've been emailing/calling back and forth about a tape. My parents happened to be out of town that day, so I couldn't very well ask them whether I could go. I went. A good time was had by all, and I got Flans' autograph. June 29. My parents arrive home and I explain to them what I did (because I felt like showing them that I got my CD autographed), and well... they really couldn't respond. Their main reaction was that it was good that nothing bad happened and that they figured it would be safe for me to go back in August... so now they don't care. :) And I'm going back on the 27th. (note: I apparently have very forgiving parents. Some parents would not tolerate this sort of thing. Of course, I'm also 19 1/2 years old [then, anyway. The next time I go back I'll be less than a month from 20], so there wasn't really much they could do) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:39:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Happiness bleed from every street corner... >Am I the ONLY one who has always interpreted this song to mean that maybe >They were talking about Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs (two big sixties >musicians) got married on the same day--BUT not necessarily to each >other? good point... the way the language is structured, it could very well mean that. ANyone have a way to find out what day PHil Ochs and Marvin Gaye got married on? >Besides that, I DON'T think that They would write a song which poked fun >at homosexuals, especially since They dedicated this album to a good >friend of theirs who had just died of AIDs. This would be tacky. They, upon reading this thread, would probably say something along the lines of "What?!? That's not what I meant at all!" And where did you learn who they dedicated it to? Is that in the FAQ? >several friends who are gay. In fact, Linnell could be gay. And it wouldn't matter, either. In fact, I'd say the gay community needs some good musicians. Not to say that Elton John isn't a good musician... but I guess I am. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:39:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG:the day,being gay,richard bey well, richard bey doesnt have anything to do with this,but it ryhmes with "ay" anyway..... i think this whole discution about "the day" being gay is stupid. as one of my MANY fav songs,i am sure this is not what its about. this ong just sounds SOOO sad to meand whenever i listen to it,i go into this silent mode. as many here know (and if not,look in the FAQ) marvin gaye and phil ochs both dies tragic deaths. wasnt it marvin gaye who was shot by his dad? and didnt phil ochs hang himself? the names might be switched around,bt their deaths were like that. i think that the "marriage" refers to both of their deaths. the first part of the song is like at a funeral,its very quite and mellow...then its sung again crying-like and screaming. i dont know. i just find this song very sad,and i dont think it has bumpkiss to do with homosexuality. jordan "well maybe im just not good at small talk, ya prick" -dave, kith. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:46:14 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? by Hemi@erols.com > the 9:30 NightClub, at the corner of V and 9th streets. Anyone been > there? > My mother is vehemently opposed to the idea, and she's not letting > me go. > She says it's a bad part of town and full of crime. As if I'd be > risking my life if I went. But the thing is that she usually let's me go > almost anywhere. > Could someone who's been to the club comment on the safeness of the > neighborhood, concerning parking, or security,etc.? How bad is it > really? On the night of a concert, there's a lot of people around and a lot of light. U street is one street down and it's really well lit. There's a parking lot on 8th, maybe 9th actually, that is specifically for the 9:30 club. Bands would *not* perform there if it weren't safe. I've been there... it [the neighborhood] looks really run down and slummy, and probably is, but no one is stupid enough to try anything with that many people around - not to mention security. The 9:30 club does have decent security and the lot is guarded. Basically, if you're with people, it's fine. Even if you're not, it'll be OK. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 96 22:47 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? >I always felt the "marriage"(sp?) in this song meant the bringing >together of completely disparate musical styles. And that if these styles >could possibly be brought together then the whole world would be at peace. Yeah, like how music critics say that a band is a marriage of two other, more famous bands, such as REM and the Cranberries, to pick two at random. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkyman" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:47:55 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 TMBG: TMBG by Evan Chakroff@ix.netcom. > today I listened to all six tmbg albums all the way through, in order. > Can you do that? No, I don't have that much spare time. I'd like to try, though. Maybe after finals.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:54:08 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: And biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows... I did some reasearch... Marivn Gaye: Soul/R+B/Motown Wrote "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (?) not a lot of research, you may be able to tell.. As for funerals... in the FAQ huh? That's kindof like saying here: these 5000 loose leaf sheets of paper contain all the answers of the universe. Have fun. Anyone up for HTML-izing the FAQ? (put in anchors) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:55:48 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: the FAQ: whoops... my mistake... already been HTML-ized. Just hadn't seen it in a while. Well that's all the better for humanity then. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:57:14 -0500 (EST) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: TMBG: WGAWTS my favorite abbreviation, an other stuff I got the single. Radio Mix Not much different Sensurround Like the MMPR version better unforgotten ehhhhhhhh We got a world... Um, I'm still waiting for this to get faster, although it does belong on MT is that what you'd really want to hear? Warren Rigg God I love this mix. better than snail dust. Also I had a dream the they were popular and Weird al did a parody called B-U-N-N-Y oh well ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: The Best Concert Ever From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 23:05:46 EST Okay, now that we which bands we would book, where would we hold it? Real concerts are usually on the bad side of town (as you know if you've been keeping up with the list), so i've invented the 'Concert Utopia'! I was thinking someone should buy a small island somewhere in the Pacific and build a giant domed stadium with a hole in the roof for natural sunlight (like Texas stadium, where the Cowgirls play). And of course, there would have to be an International airport on the complex, where the planes are always on time. They would also need a huge club where fans could mingle inbetween concerts (and get really, really drunk). The stage floor would be slightly elevated (for prime viewing of Johns and friends) and the mosh pits would only be on one side of the stadium so that non-moshers would not be offended. The only downside would be that none of us could ever afford tickets... ;-} +++ This is Justin W. Smith's amazingly terrific signature +++ jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com justin@tmbg.org Play Dragon Warrior Text Adventure! www.dragonfire.net/~MonoPuff/DW/ +++ "We're willing to sleep with beautiful women." - John Flansburgh +++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:17:20 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: Then: Early Years cover There's a picture of the cover of Then: The Early Years, the TMBG double CD and a list of the 19 unreleased songs at http://www.restless.com/giants.html It also seems that the release has been postponed a month. Later, Aaron ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 23:25:24 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? << >I always felt the "marriage"(sp?) in this song meant the bringing >together of completely disparate musical styles. And that if these styles >could possibly be brought together then the whole world would be at peace. I always felt the "marriage"(sp?) in this song meant the bringing >together of completely disparate musical styles. And that if these styles >could possibly be brought together then the whole world would be at peace. Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Paul is dead!" My fun little cool bit of TMBG funness for this week: I got home, and when I asked whether I had any mail, my father said "Yeah, you've got this postcard." I run over to look at it and, behold, it's a Factory Showroom postcard. Cool enough, right? But that's not all. Because on it was written "Thanks -- John F. and John Sid." And they did the fancy sigs, Flans with the :I face in the O and Linnell with the the card suits around his name. On the back it read "Thanks for the help with our website!" Yay. :) >Underground???? You mean you have heard Them been played in some >smoky underground techno parties??? If you think "smoky underground techno parties" are what's going on in non-mainstream music, you need to get a little introduction in indy rock. >Somehow I don't think you will get a lot of agreement on this. I have >carefully considered what you said and realized that there probably should be >a word for the category of "between underground and mainstream." Perhaps >obscure would be it. Yeah, that's more or less it. TMBG are by no means whatsoever underground, but neither are they really mainstream -- especially since they basically have a certain fanbase and everyone else hates them. >What's the difference? I heard Counterfeit Faker at the concert last night >(It's the country song) And what's Counterfeit Fake that's gonna be on Then:?? First: I am not going to answer this question again. Those who don't know, pay attention. They're two absolutely, completely different songs. CFake is just the lyrics "Hey, hey counterfeit fake, history wants you, they made a mistake" put over a sort of cheesy 80's drum thing. CFaker is a country swing tune. >As they began to experiment they became "alternative" and lost a huge >portion of their fans. And in the process became one of the biggest influences ever on modern pop/rock. >I remember hearing Revolver for the first time. What the >Hell! OH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Half of the songs suck! I never got used to >"Tommorrow never knows" and don't get me started on "Number nine"(white >album). Personally, I love Revolver. It's the only Beatles I, personally, own and the only one I need to. Every song on the album (and it's companion single, Paperback Writer/Rain) is a pop masterpiece. This is when the Beatles really said "We can do meaningful, interesting, amazingly great pop music." Great album. >Of course I know John and Paul didn't write ALL the songs, but they wrote most >of them, and most of the good ones. Only numerically. George had some great output as well -- While My Guitar Gently Weeps? Something? >Subject: TMBG: So I leaned out the window and said, "Egad!" Hah! I am a trendsetter. >I would say XTC is more Beatle-like than TMBG or any other band I can >think of. Only later on, starting a *little* with English Settlement and really becoming "Beatlesque" on Skylarking. Now, of course, they sound almost like Beatles Redux -- I've had at least three people say to me "Who is this? It sounds like the Beatles!" >Theres hardly any other band that uses anything but guitars >and scratchy voices to get their point across. That is just such an inaccurate statement that I don't know where to begin. There are hundreds and hundreds of rock bands which are non-guitar driven *right now.* Josh This good luck charm hanging off of my arm /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:44:55 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads + B5 Evan Chakroff wrote: > > At 05:09 PM 12/6/96 -0600, Simon Koch wrote: > >For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was > >possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of > >heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? > > > > It was suggested earlier that it refered to a hall of heads in a later book > of the Oz series. (Also depicted in the crappy movie Return To Oz or > somesuch (from the 80's) Thanks, but I was wondering if the song inspired the plot line, not if the plot line inspired the song (kinda after it anyhoo). Anyone have any idea, or am I just stretching for a connection here? -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 23:48:21 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Someone in a club tonight has stolen my ideas >- tmbg fans non-druggies?? i would have to disagree, or else i have a lot >of disreputable acquaintances....hmmm funny that. It is interesting that the only other TMBG fan in my "clique" at school is one of only a few members of the clique who does not use and does not use any illegal drugs or smoke; one of the other ones is a semi-fan (in that he likes their stuff but not so much as to be a real fan.) >MacArthur Park >It is a FAQ answer, though (if memory serves) It's not in the FAQ, which is why I'm going to e-mail John Relph requesting for it to be added, among other things. >I think mainstream is very objective to everyone, except for the >extremes First, from your other comments, it seems that you mean "subjective." Anyway... On the contrary, "mainstream-ism" is not really subjective at all. It's pretty easy to determine how "in the national consciousness" a band is. >They are still slipping toward the more generic >'alternative' center of popular rock music today. Oh please. When alternative radio sounds like Factory Showroom I'll eat both my *and* your hat. >This whole lil thread reminds me of my dear friend Kevin. You see, my >friends and I live for the sole purpose of annoying each other to fury. Gee. That makes my life sound positively scintillating. >REM: I started with the album, Out Of Time. If anyone knew who they were, >they thought they were some weird band who did sissy songs about Happy People >and Men on the Moon. But when radio stations started playing What's the >Frequency, Kenneth, everyone look at them in a whole different light. This stuff about R.E.M. becoming popular with Monster is, to put it politely, bullshit. You probably missed it because *you* were a new fan at the time, but R.E.M.'s success goes back to Document and the two hits "The One I Love" and "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" Compared to Document and the three albums following that, Monster was not actually that big a hit -- while there were some people who became "Monster fans," it's nothing compared to the insurge from the four albums preceeding it. >XTC (yeah, right) All you have to do is blindfold Andy Partridge, stick cotton in his ears, and tell him you're doing a little imprompteau rehearsal. :) >I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on >Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. That is certainly the most unique TMBG story I've ever read. >Nothing's gonna change my clothes (mind) Actually, "Nothing's gonna change my world" (tying in two distinct threads here... :) >I wouldn't worry too much zbout seats or drugs, I have never seen a sign >of drugs at a TMBG concert "It seems that the clove cigarette of the last set has turned to pot smoke...shows the age differences..." -- John Sid Josh There's a knock on the door that I adore /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:55:09 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Tours About how often do They tour? I'm majorly bummed/pissed about missing my chance in Milwaukee, and was wondering when my first opportunity for retribution would be. -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 22:52:03 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: The Best Concert Ever Justin Smith wrote: > > Okay, now that we which bands we would book, where would we hold it? > Real concerts are usually on the bad side of town (as you know if you've > been keeping up with the list), so i've invented the 'Concert Utopia'! > > I was thinking someone should buy a small island somewhere in the Pacific > and build a giant domed stadium with a hole in the roof for natural > sunlight (like Texas stadium, where the Cowgirls play). Why for? Have it outside. Heck, you're in the Pacific (tropical, I'm assuming) > And of course, > there would have to be an International airport on the complex, where the > planes are always on time. They would also need a huge club where fans > could mingle inbetween concerts (and get really, really drunk). The > stage floor would be slightly elevated (for prime viewing of Johns and > friends) and the mosh pits would only be on one side of the stadium so > that non-moshers would not be offended. Sounds like you might need a medium island somewhere in the Pacific... > The only downside would be that none of us could ever afford tickets... > ;-} > It's a Utopia, why charge? -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 23:00:11 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: So I rolled down the window and said "Paul is dead!" Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > >Theres hardly any other band that uses anything but guitars > >and scratchy voices to get their point across. > > That is just such an inaccurate statement that I don't know where to begin. > There are hundreds and hundreds of rock bands which are non-guitar driven > *right now.* I've noticed that several groups have begun using horns especially, and some strings. Anyone think it may bolster the popularity of TMBG somewhat? -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:07:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: RE: Is HotCha gay? I have always seen The Day as a song about Methaphorical (sp?) marraige. Just look at all the other imagery in the song. Also, TMBG are the kind of band who just doesn't care all that much about Their image. Otherwise, they would force theirselves into the mainstream. (Also, this may seem childish, like "Gay Aparrell" or "We'll have a gay old time", but you can't help wonder about Marvin -GAYE- . )Do they care if a bunch of Homophobes won't listen to Their music because of a possible, slight, reference to two men marrying each other. WAIT! A thought. The song never says, "The day Marvin Gaye, and Phil Ochs got married . . . TO EACH OTHER!" If my best friend, Erick, and I got married, to two women, on the same day, it would be the day Justin and Erick got married, to two different women. Ah! New thought to turn over in your mind. Oh well. Tell me what you think. ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 23:16:22 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Hyperstudio Stack Hi I'm doing a TMBG hyperstudio stack as my final progect for a computer class in school. Now I think we all agree that I couldn't have picked a better topic, BUT what should be included, I'm havin Lyrics, First song from albums and singles, the broom movie from TMBG.com, what else should I include? Monopuff, yes no? Sir Drywall "I really need a quote to put here"-Sir Drywall ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:14:34 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. Happy Chanukah, to all fellow Jews out there. I hope your Mom makes potato latkes but she doesn't make you sing. For you Christian types, it is pronounced "Ha-new-kah" with the accent on the first syllable. Not Cha-new-ka. Don't ask me to say any more for that will show up my lack of knowledge of most things Jewish. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:11:51 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: (Fwd) Hello '96 Hey everyone, Jeremy here. I finally received a reply from Hello, here goes it: Hello Jeremy We are sorry for the delay in getting back to your phone calls. We are currently waiting for a shipment of Hello: The Band CD and will ship it to you as soon as we get it. As for 1996, we have been shipping #5 and #6 since November. The remaining 4 CD's as well as the Mono Puff Libretto will be shipping later than we thought (maybe thru the beginning of Feb. 1997). We will do our best to speed up the process and welcome any other questions you may have about your order. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Operator Bob ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:26:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: An Interesting Thought Here's something to ponder, What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? Also, by now we all probably know about the .mov, I am not your broom. But does anything know about any new ones, or what the point of that was? ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:25:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: about what I posted/Torching Journalists This guy deserves to die. Whether or not he likes Them, it doesn't sound like he looked into the band very much. As a journalist, it is his job to look into the story, not just write what he can remember off the top of his head. Also, think of the people who read his article and were convinced that the show would be lousy. These could have been prospective TMBG fans. I say we turn this guy into charcoal. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:27:26 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Is Hot Cha gay? Err, The Day doesn't make any sence what so ever, I've never been able to figure it out what it means, but Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye certainly never got married, maybe one did a cover of the other's song, they are also both dead now. Well, bye Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:46:25 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, That's Michael Rose to you! wrote: > > Happy Chanukah, to all fellow Jews out there. I hope your Mom > makes potato latkes but she doesn't make you sing. I second that! I get no latkes this year (boo hoo...) but I will sing! Come one everyone! "Ma-o-tsur yeshooati..." ew, transliterated hebrew is no fun. > For you Christian types, it is pronounced "Ha-new-kah" with the > accent on the first syllable. Not Cha-new-ka. Don't ask me to say any more > for that will show up my lack of knowledge of most things Jewish. > Whatever quesitons needing to be answered, feel free to ask me...people complain about what catholic school does to a kid, wait'll you try orthodox jewish school! Whoo! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:57:51 -0500 Subject: TMBG: here in the hall of heads In a message dated 96-12-06 19:25:10 EST, sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Simon Koch) writes: > For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was > possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of > heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? > I thought the same exact thing. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:59:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons Okay, here goes. Tiny Toons is Warner Bros. show, isn't it? Elektra is part of Warner Bros., isn't it? Elektra is TMBG's recording company, isn't it? So, possibly, the two TMBG videos on Tiny Toons, were advertisements, or plugs for Flood? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 00:59:37 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: what really happened . . . . ***THIS IS LONG*** I read this post, and nearly cried. I thought that TMBG fans were better than that. Making fun of people is probably the single most evil thing a person can do to another human being, short of killing him. I was apalled. Eww. Just because a person is quiet doesn't make it okay to throw things at him. Perhaps they had a bad day (as in this case) Never assume. It makes an ASS out of U and ME. -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | -------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 01:11:36 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Cincinnatti! Woo, it's been a while since I've posted to the list, but here is my version of the wonder that was the Cinci show. I am truly sorry that Kelley had such an awful time, I can't believe the way those people in line treated you! I, on the other hand, had a fabulous time! My friends and I got seriously lost on the way there and ended up driving around Cincinatti for like, an hour. But despite the fact that we got to Bogart's around eight, we didnt' miss Cub, and so we were well pleased. Cub rocked, although it was hard to hear what they sang because the bass was jacked up so high. But nonetheless, it was great, especially when they played New York City...I like Their version better, but Cub's was fun. Throughout this, my friends and I were carefully working out way towards the front. Finally, we reched a place about six layers from the stage, but got stuck behind these people- a frat boy and these pre-teen girls...nothing against the younger folk, but these girls looked like they'd be more at home at a metal concert than at TMBG. But not to judge. They kept making these cryptic gestures with their hands, kind of an F, then either a W or a V, then they'd point at the stage...any one know what this means. Then They came on. Opening with Older, to which I freaked out and started jumping and singing. I felt like the only one, but I had fun. I was on the Linnell side of the stage, but that was fine with me! Since Green Jello alread posted the set list, I'll save the disk space, but I got one! The puppet heads on EXquisite Dead Guy were kind of scary, but cool nonetheless. I liked the new songs. Counterfeit Faker was swell as well, and again, I felt like I was one of the few who knew it. Then the encores...I don't care what anyone says here, but during the last encore, "They Got Lost", I know that Linnell stared directly at me throughout the whole thing. It was fantastic. Just some odd comments on the crowd- some moshing, but on the whole, despite my front position, it didn't bother me too much. But, at certain parts, those girls that were making the cryptic hand signals, and then a few others, were doing that thing where you put your middle and ring fingers down...you know, the satan hand jive...then there was the gross guy who kept nugging me in the head until I had to hit him...and the people who were right at the fence that were too cool to dance, and looked at everyone who was like we were losers...but outside of that, everyone had a great time! Severly dehydrated, my friends and I went to the local krogers, and as i was in line, who do I see but Green Jello! Cool guy, glad I got to meet him and Bob Palindrome Bob. Fun was had by all, and though I was drained at the end, I don't think I could have gotten a better Hannuka gift! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 01:14:34 -0500 From: Pavlov Subject: TMBG: Yayayayayayaya! 1 more day! * 1 * more day till tMBg concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be there... tommorow.. atlanta.. whoo hoo Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) You can find me on irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net Atlanta.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov Atlanta.GA.US.Some.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Superchat.Org | "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 13:11:42 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought At 12:26 AM 12/7/96 -0500, you wrote: >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? I dunno. I think it's unlikely, but what do the rest of y'all think? >Also, by now we all probably know about the .mov, I am not your broom. But >does anything know about any new ones, or what the point of that was? They were just playing around with a Quickcam they got (I think that's what those little things are called). They're pretty cool -- a b&w one is between $80-$100, and the quality's pretty good. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: JimEnsor@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 01:25:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Meet James Ensor Hello. I have created this new screen name so I can have an additional 2 megs of FTP space. I was thinking about creating a directory of TMBG midi's and wav's with this space. So if you have high quality midi's and wav's (I will also accept pictures if in .jpg form, to conserve space),send them to me, and I will upload them, and create a page. JimEnsor (Guava Boy9)@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 13:25:48 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons At 12:59 AM 12/7/96 -0500, you wrote: > >So, possibly, the two TMBG videos on Tiny Toons, were advertisements, or >plugs for Flood? Wow...I never thought of that. But I'm not complaining. That little bit of shameless promotion was what sparked my interest in TMBG... :> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-335 ******************************