Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-336 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 336 Sunday, 8 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Shoes Atlanta Shirts Certain People WI & IL saf-T hooks Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought TMBG: Journalist guy. Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought Re: TMBG: Shoes TMBG: hall of heads TMBG: Then: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-335 Semi-TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "HTML!" Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought Mono-TMBG:Monopuff hypnotized my cats?! Re: TMBG: Our eleventh president TMBG: anyone know TMBG: Linnell on WBER?!!?!?! Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought Re: TMBG: Hyperstudio Stack Re: TMBG: Shoes TMBG: The Indian-influected Beatles song on Revolver Re: TMBG: Shoes TMBG: Superfueled Re: TMBG: Superfueled TMBG: re: Denison Show TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. Re: TMBG: Superfueled Re: TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. TMBG: J&J taking over, no prisoners! Re: TMBG: Superfueled Re: TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? TMBG: Island concert TMBG: O Do Not Forsake Me TMBG: My S-E-X-X-Y Single Got Lost Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) TMBG: Counterfit Faker, Atlanta TMBG: Denison Univ. TMBG: Regarding being Ridiculed Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) TMBG: Island concert Re: TMBG: Shoes TMBG: Re: An Interesting Thought; Thoughts... Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. Re: TMBG: Shoes TMBG: java.mail: a gigantic nuclear furnace TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in TMBG: triangle man TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Pansexual!" Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: Marvin and The Day Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in TMBG: The web site. Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in Re: TMBG: Re: An Interesting Thought; Thoughts... Re: TMBG: java.mail: a gigantic nuclear furnace Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in Re: TMBG: Our eleventh president TMBG: Asking Politely Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye TMBG: Enough About The Day. TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! Non-TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Pansexual!" Re: TMBG: "livin' the dream" Re: TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! TMBG: pink album date? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 02:31:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Shoes Atlanta Shirts Certain People WI & IL saf-T hooks Hello 41- This is seperated into little groups, and it is a longer post for me. Shoe Fashion- I belive it was Sarah who wrote about the uncommon Converse Ox's (sideways V stripe, and star)... as far as I know, they are still in production, because I found a pair of grey and avocado ones half a year ago. Now, one of them needs a shoelace, but that's another story. If I am not mistaken, Linnell wears a pair of red All-Stars. I am also just about done with my TMBG Conan necklace black All-Stars. They may premire in... Atlanta- Yes, my shoes will be there. I will be there too, hopefully really early too. I will be wearing a LIGHT BLUE HAT. Say hi to me, I'm a fun nit. T-Shirts- Is anyone going to actually do this? If not, I can probably find a place that will do it, and do it. Any info??? Certain People I Could Name- Is there a "definate" lyric sheet to this that I could find? I would search on the web for it, but I am still having major problems with my web browsing. Milwuakee Rave Show- Well, to answer a few things with saftey and Milwaukee, yes, the Rave was kinda close to inner Milwaukee. I am not sure if there is a "bad" side of Milwaukee, so I can't say if that is a bad side of town. It was fairly well lit, and there were people out and about. It was also kinda well lit. It was cold, it just turned December, but this is coming from someone who is still living in 70 degree weather still. Chicago Saftey- They just played at the Riveria, which isn't in the greatest part of town, but not a "bad" party. Metro isn't in a bad part of town, and neither is the Vic, where I know TMBG has played around there lately. U of Chicago was a neat place for a show, but anywhere around it isn't very nice. Actually pretty bad. It was where Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown was from (which would make a *great* Stump The Band). General Saftey- Yes, sometimes if people want to rob you, the will rob you. They have a gun, and you probably don't. But your defense is how you look and act. If you look stern, and look like you know where you are going, it helps. As I was told by a cop in Cleveland, "The guys around here just look for boys from out of town to fuck with." We got out of there quickly. Also, if you don't dress really nicely, they won't think you have money. Another thing I do when I'm downtown, is if you are going to a "bad" part of town, carry two wallets. One with your stuff, if you want to carry it, and another with a few bucks and change. Just a few tips from you neighborhood nit. Hooked me- I have said before that Flood was my first album, and I was introduced by a friend, not Tiny Toons. Yes, I saw Tiny Toons a bit after, but that was just bonus. What is extra, is that I got it a little bit after he played songs for me. I did, and I think I listened to Whistling In The Dark for two straight days inbetween working. No joke. I think I got Misc. T, then Pink, I got A18 a little bit after it came out, and JH and FS the day they came out. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf You would think that pot had some kind of power. I mean, come on, it's a plant, not a reason for living... Controlled by a plant, how hilarious. A plant, a fucking plant. -Rollins Adam's do It yourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 06:09:04 -0600 sorry, for sending this to you twice, guavaboy (mmm, i like guava) i meant to send this to the list. >Here's something to ponder, > >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? Well, how could they have time? They are almost always touring, and otherwise they are always pretty busy. It takes me sometimes more than an hour to read everything from this list. Or maybe they have a cellular modem/decent laptop (even though flans still has a 20 meg mac classic) and read it in their car (no). so i'd say, pretty definatly, the answer is NO "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Journalist guy. Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 06:16:34 -0600 Well, remember, "He should be allowed to glue his poster, he should be allowed to think".. i didn't like the article, but some people dont like TMBG (how, i dont know). He seemed to be saying that they dont use light shows or anything special (puppet heads!!!) in concert which is almost true, isn't it? or maybe "He should get beat up for stating his belifs" hmmmm. okay, lets beat him up. i am making a collection of all the TMBG/MONOPUFF songs i like. And in random order. With my cd player it sucks (i need a 8 cd changer for this to be at all easy) It dosent even go past track 19!! it messes up with a18/jh and wont play TBTB. and i have to keep switching cd's. Hopefully it'll be worth the effort. I want it to listen to walking home, i'm not gonna bring a cd player to school, and it gets boring. "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 07:30:48 EST On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:26:00 -0500 GuavaBoy9@aol.com writes: >Here's something to ponder, > >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? I get the feeling that They would besorely dissappointed... I don't particularly think Flans sspends that much time with his computers or keyboards in general judging by his typing speed in various chat sessions... Linnell seems to be a bit of a computer geek, just how much one can learn with a Mac is limited though... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoes Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 09:25:37 -0500 (EST) > If I am not mistaken, Linnell wears a pair of red All-Stars. > He also often wears black All-Stars, as well. m@t Who is right now wearing the same. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 09:31:04 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: hall of heads The inspiration for both the B5 thing and Hall of Heads probably came from L. Frank Baum's second Oz story, _Return To Oz_, where Dorothy stumbles across a queen who can switch heads with any of the hundred or so in her hall closet. Langwidere (the queen) offers Dorothy a deal- if Dorothy gives Langwidere her head in exchange for another one, she and her friends can go free. Dorothy refuses, is put in captivity, and is rescued by Ozma. They made a movie version of this a few years back. It wasn't very good and was in fact kind of scary. At one point Langwidere runs down the hall wearing no head... creepy. And on another subjet.... I've realized that XTCvsAA bugs me almost as much as Pet Name, and that Your Own Worst Enemy isn't that bad of a song once it's been in your head for a day or so. #!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!# Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3418 for a fuller explanation of the insanity that is Elitza. !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!# ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 09:42:08 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Then: from Restless TMBG page: >"Now That I Have Everything" -- first song from 1985 demo wasn't it the first song on THE 1984 demo >"Hope That I Die Before I Get Old" -- alternate polka version Isn't that the other way around? :^) And how does 'Children Singing Particle Man' fit on this? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to put it on SuperCharged Freaksicle?? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: 07 Dec 1996 12:57:00 +0100 From: parreira@tmbg.org (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-335 Organization: puppet head On 07.12.96, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > There's a picture of the cover of Then: The Early Years, the TMBG double CD > and a list of the 19 unreleased songs at > http://www.restless.com/giants.html > It also seems that the release has been postponed a month. What's the date now then? _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@tmbg.org rodrparr@dds.nl amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://huizen.dds.nl/~rodrparr ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 09:49:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Semi-TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "HTML!" At 11:46 PM 12/6/96 -0500, you wrote: >My fun little cool bit of TMBG funness for this week: > >I got home, and when I asked whether I had any mail, my father said "Yeah, >you've got this postcard." I run over to look at it and, behold, it's a >Factory Showroom postcard. Cool enough, right? But that's not all. Because >on it was written "Thanks -- John F. and John Sid." And they did the fancy >sigs, Flans with the :I face in the O and Linnell with the the card suits >around his name. On the back it read "Thanks for the help with our website!" >Yay. :) I could've done their web page for them What did you do to help? Visit my webpage! I did all the graphics myself (you may say.... oh great... more crappy graphics... but you're wrong! go find out!). Go to the humor section and read the first two or three stories. The subliminal messages are telling you to go. So are the voices. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 10:00:41 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought >Here's something to ponder, > >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? Well, John, it looks like they figured it out. Yep, what are we gonna do now? I guess we could keep lurking... That would be no fun; If they know we're here, they'll start editing their posts more carefully and we'll get tons of messages saying "We love you, John and John!!" You're right, John. I guess we'll have to unsubscribe. -- Doh! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Mono-TMBG:Monopuff hypnotized my cats?! Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 08:59:00 -0600 I just put in Unsepervised and all the sudden my 2 cats stopped and started moving towards my cd player. They stood by it and hit it a few times and kinda sat there. Speaking of monopuff, Am i the only one that thinks Dont Break The Heart is probably the best song on this album? I love it. I dont like "Dont i have the right" makes me feel like i am listening to mariah carey or something. Ennngghhh.... "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:16:42 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: Our eleventh president Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on > >Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. > > That is certainly the most unique TMBG story I've ever read. Well, how about this one? The first TMBG song I heard was James K. Polk, four years ago in fifth grade, when a girl played the song while doing a report on the president(this being fifth grade, the song contained all the information for her report). And as if that wasn't weird enough, the second song I heard was an old version of tryptophane which he DJ played on Thanksgiving and said was a TMBG song. I don't know if Mono Puff had been named yet. Seeing as how I liked both these songs, I went out and bought.. flood, which I loved at the time but which is now my least favorite TMBG album. -- "United we stand, together we fall"-Pink Floyd "ACK OOP THBBBT!"-Bill the Cat Jonah ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 10:21:06 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: anyone know Organization: West Virginia Network who their favorite bands are???? i havvent heard others that sound like tmbg that came before the early 80's sam ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Linnell on WBER?!!?!?! Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 09:29:10 -0600 I Was just listening to WBER over RA (hoping to hear SEXXY, i dont know why though) and a song ended and someone that sounded EXACTLy like linnell was talking. I was somewhere else so i didn't castch all of it, something like "Now it's SEXXY from THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and It's me" Is that a linnelll sounding DJ? WHAT WAS IT???? i dont suppose anyone else (kdsinthhal)?? was listening? "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:10:01 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: An Interesting Thought On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 GuavaBoy9@aol.com wrote: > Here's something to ponder, Thought I smelled wood burning.... > What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they > were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the > writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? Believe me, they're not. The writers of the FAQ (s) (tmbg only, I wrote the Mono Puff one sans an interview. I hope to get one with Flansburgh soon, but Ryko hasn't called me back) have interviewed them both. Flans has posted to alt.music.tmbg before, as have Josh Fried and Bill Krauss, albeit a long time ago. Some people have communicated with Pat Dillett via E-mail, but unfortunately, most of the people who were associated with TMBG, and were net-wise, have had fallings out with Flansburgh, and disassociated themselves with TMBG completely, refusing to even reply to private e-mail. > Also, by now we all probably know about the .mov, I am not your broom. But > does anything know about any new ones, or what the point of that was? New ones: ; knows nothing IANYB Point: John Linnell playing around with his new QuickCam. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg .sig? No thanks, I don't cmoke ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:12:45 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Hyperstudio Stack On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 mattm@mixcom.com wrote: > Hi I'm doing a TMBG hyperstudio stack as my final progect for a computer > class in school. They're still teaching computer classes with Macs? That's going to be useful down the road. :) > Now I think we all agree that I couldn't have picked a > better topic, BUT what should be included, I'm havin Lyrics, First song > from albums and singles, the broom movie from TMBG.com, what else should > I include? Monopuff, yes no? No to Mono Puff, probably not a good idea. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg .sig? No thanks, I don't cmoke ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:14:09 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoes On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > If I am not mistaken, Linnell wears a pair of red All-Stars. > > > > He also often wears black All-Stars, as well. > > Who is right now wearing the same. If this isn't an AOLesque response, I dunno what is: MEE TOO!! Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg .sig? No thanks, I don't cmoke ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 18:16:10 +0000 Subject: TMBG: The Indian-influected Beatles song on Revolver > Within You Without You may be the Indian-sitar-influenced-song that > you are thinking of, but that is on Sgt. Pepper's. No, there's another one on Revolver. A bit faster tune that Within You Without You. Is it Love You To? <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:34:48 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoes At 11:14 AM 12/7/96 -0500, you wrote: >On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > >> > If I am not mistaken, Linnell wears a pair of red All-Stars. >> > >> >> He also often wears black All-Stars, as well. >> >> Who is right now wearing the same. > >If this isn't an AOLesque response, I dunno what is: > >MEE TOO!! > I think I'll go buy some and jump on the bandwagon along with all you other non-mainstream folks :^) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 12:17:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Superfueled Okay, after asking this, everyone may think I am a total TMBG ignoramus, or just some kind of moron, but my pride lost to my "wanting to know". What is Superfueled Freaksicle (or something like that)? Is it a new album, a live album, a collection of B-sides, what? Someone help me. Then: I understand that Pink, Lincoln, and Misc T, plus 19 unreleased songs are going to be on it. I have also heard that it will be on a 2-disc set. If this is so, how are they planning to cram almost 80 songs on 2 discs? Please tell me everything you know about this. Also, release dates for these two (albums?) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Guava Boy9 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 12:33:26 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Superfueled as always, someone please correct me if I'm wrong... >What is Superfueled Freaksicle (or something like that)? Is it a new album, >a live album, a collection of B-sides, what? Someone help me. > Two disc set containing b-sides, re-mixes from the Elektra years. They say it will have 'the best' b-sides, so don't expect all of them. Also will probably include some totally new songs (not demo tape stuff, stuff they left off FS) It's release date is either by christmas or 2nd-3rd quarter '97. >Then: I understand that Pink, Lincoln, and Misc T, plus 19 unreleased songs >are going to be on it. I have also heard that it will be on a 2-disc set. > If this is so, how are they planning to cram almost 80 songs on 2 discs? > Please tell me everything you know about this. It is a two disc set. Everything fits because one CD can actually hold about 75 minutes of music. To make it fit it will not be simply Disc 1: Eponymous and Lincoln; Disc 2: Misc T and Unreleased. Some unreleased songs will be tacked on to the end of each album, so I suppose this means Lincoln will be split across the two discs... It's release date is now Feb 25. It also includes Children SInging Particle Man, which IMO should be on SuperCharged Freaksicle (as Flans originally called it, and called it in the most recent online chat) If I'm wrong about any of that please correct me as I want to know the right info. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 13:25:23 -0500 From: Duane Moore Subject: TMBG: re: Denison Show well, I called the student union on friday, and they said that if tickets we're going to be sold beforehand, they would sell them starting monday. don't know whether ya gotta be a student or not.. hope not. not sure what time it starts, or if there's a limit on tix. anyway, the number for the student union is: 614-587-6373... so, if anyone finds out anything before monday, PLEAWE send me some E, cause I GOTTA go!! DM I Look at yours, you laugh at mine, and love is just a miserable lie. You have destroyed my flowerlike life- not once, but twice.. You have corrupted my innocent mind- not once, twice.. Into the depths of the criminal world--- I followed her... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 14:07:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. This "The Day" thread is really pointless and tiring. I'm not even responding to it. >>12. They Might Be Giants --- S-E-X-X-Y --- Factory >Showroom >>Whooo! Movin' on up! (to the east side......) > >Umm... Ana Ng hit #1 on either the college music charts or the >alternative charts (can't remember which, or even if there IS >such a thing as a college music chart) back in '88. Well, i meant currently, at the local real-alterna-station here. I saw in CMJ yesterday (the Lucious Jackson one, sadly.. couldn't find the TMBG one..) that it's like #32 or something. >"We're willing to sleep with beautiful women." - John >Flansburgh Whoa.... where'd this come from??? BTW--on Clarissa Explains it All the other day, this bully kid had "MDC" written on his jacket... coincidence? ;) ~sarah <-- listening to S-E-X-X-Y on the radio now. :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 14:30:18 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Superfueled In a message dated 96-12-07 12:38:17 EST, chakroff@ix.netcom.com (Evan Chakroff) writes: > so I suppose this means Lincoln > will be split across the two discs Are we for certain that it will contain all of Lincoln? Doesn't that sound a little strange to anyone but me? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:08:01 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. > This "The Day" thread is really pointless and tiring. I'm not even responding > to it. > > >>12. They Might Be Giants --- S-E-X-X-Y --- Factory > >Showroom > >>Whooo! Movin' on up! (to the east side......) > > > >Umm... Ana Ng hit #1 on either the college music charts or the > >alternative charts (can't remember which, or even if there IS > >such a thing as a college music chart) back in '88. I think Ana Ng is the highest they've ever gone. and that was when there were only the Johns!!!! > Well, i meant currently, at the local real-alterna-station here. > I saw in CMJ yesterday (the Lucious Jackson one, sadly.. couldn't find the > TMBG one..) that it's like #32 or something. > > >"We're willing to sleep with beautiful women." - John > >Flansburgh > Whoa.... where'd this come from??? hey, Flans is a guy too ;).. > BTW--on Clarissa Explains it All the other day, this bully kid had "MDC" > written on his jacket... coincidence? ;) MDC, what an evil, evil name. never ever mention that. I hope you kn ow what I'm talking about, it has something to do with John LEnnon. ------------------------------ From: ZippyKelp@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 14:55:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: J&J taking over, no prisoners! >> Elektra by Their 8th album. Maybe I have too much free time on my >> hands. Maybe Lite beer really does taste great. No, thats crazy, it's >> less filling. Ah, you're full of it, it tastes gr- > > According to my "sources," lite beer only tastes great after you've had > a few other beers. Basically, the more sloshed you get, the better ANY > beer tastes. By that time, however, you could drink a bottle of rubbing > alcohol and think it tastes great. You know, I used to think that when they said "less filling" they meant "less of a substance called 'filling.'" I mean, if stuffing was a substance maybe filling was too. Oh yeah, and I think is J and J are going to take over any company it woukd be Johnson and Johnson because they wouldn't have to change initials and they'd only have to remove six or so letters from each billboard. But then, that's just me. ================ "Lazy Joe was LAZY He was mad, insane, orange! His favorite part of the colon was the sigmoid A combination of sig- and -moid. FECES!" - Mark Zipkin ================ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Superfueled From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 15:14:00 EST On Sat, 07 Dec 1996 12:33:26 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >It is a two disc set. Everything fits because one CD can actually hold >about 75 minutes of music. To make it fit it will not be simply Disc 1: >Eponymous and Lincoln; Disc 2: Misc T and Unreleased. Some unreleased songs >will be tacked on to the end of each album, so I suppose this means >Lincoln will be split across the two discs... It's release date is now Feb 25. >It also includes Children SInging Particle Man, which IMO should be on >SuperCharged Freaksicle (as Flans originally called it, and called it in >the most recent online chat) Disc 1 will contain The Pink Album, the b-sides from its singles (half of Misc. T.) and half of the demo tape material. Disc 2 will contain Lincoln, the b-sides from its singles (the other half of Misc. T.) and the rest of unreleased stuff... Children Singing Particle Man is mostly likely on this compilation because They don't particularly want to give rights to it to Elektra by putting it on Superfueled Freakcycle. The most official confirnation of the name of the B-Sides Comp. came from a Info bulliten a while back in which it _was_ called Superfueled Freakcycle... >If I'm wrong about any of that please correct me as I want to know the >right info. Uh huh... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:35:30 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: Re: TMBG: Ever been to 9:30 club?? >Bands would *not* perform there if it weren't safe. I beg to differ though I have not been to the new 9:30 club, one night when we went to see a band at the old 9:30 and less than a block from the club two of my friends walking together were mugged. This message is not meant to strike fear, cause this was one out of countless times I have been there, and I've been to venues in much worse neighborhoods without incident, but a band will play in a place that isn't safe. Any how when is that 9:30 show? I am four hours from DC, and have no car, now but where theres a will there's a way. Merciless ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 10:48:45 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: Island concert What a concept! Yeah, a medium sized island in the Pacific, with a good-sized open air stadium (The Waikiki Shell), and an International Airport. Well, I can't guarantee the planes will be on time, but we already have the perfect locale. Honolulu. And when you get tired of people, come up to the North Shore where it's still beautiful. Actually, an even better choice would be Kauai. Anybody heard when They are coming back here to HI? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:07:21 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: O Do Not Forsake Me O Do Not Forsake Me?the only song I know of where the Johns don't sing at all. The guy who does is part of the group Hudson Shad. I heard 'em on Garrison Keillor's radio show and they were great. But does anyone know if they have an album out? Any info would be appreciated. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:25:10 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: My S-E-X-X-Y Single Got Lost Has anyone ever ordered a CD from Cdnow, that internet CD store? I checked on the status of my order and it said it had been shipped but I haven't gotten it for ten days. If anyone has had that problem, what did they do? I know I'll figure that out but some help would be appreciated. I've also noticed something else. No matter how many autographs some of you guys get from John & John, it never goes to your heads, unlike other fans and other fan clubs I've belonged to, or maybe I'm just missing something. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 17:22:35 +0500 From: Carissa Armstrong Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) >Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:26:51 -0500 (EST) >From: Lawrence P Solomon >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) >References: <3.0.32.19961205181703.006de9cc@popd.ix.netcom.com> > <32A851D3.10E2@baka.com> >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon > >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: final fears of a >.. by Jonah@baka.com >> Ummm, isn't that nothing's gonaa change my clothes(world)? Neither one >> is a common expression, but the second one is a Beatles reference, and >> I've never heard "Nothing's Gonna Change My Mind". > >Perhaps it is... I've heard people say things similar to Nothing's gonna >change my mind... even if it's not exactly word for word, it's the same >principle. "You can't change my mind..." or "I don't want to change >your mind..." I think that's really what they're playing on. > Nothing's gonna change my mind is a line in the Beatles song Across the Universe ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carissa Armstrong~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ carissa@vt.edu magenta@vt.edu ***Please ignore any mistakes found in this e-mail. I was recalled at birth. Instead of sending me back to have my defects fixed, my parents decided to save the shipping and handling fees so they could help pay for an overpriced college tution.*** THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRELM TOOTHPASTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 17:29:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Counterfit Faker, Atlanta Hello 41- First a little info from my mom on this one... Counterfit Faker- I was in the car with her, when I popped in a tape that had Counterfit Faker on it. It got to the song, and I said that she would like it, because it's country. She then asked me why it was country... I thought for a second and told her because of the guitar and accordian. She then went into a whole lecture of how it wasn't country, it was bluegrass and blah blah blah. She goes to country bars all the time and teaches country line dancing, so I am going to take what she says. If someone knows why it would be country versus bluegrass, I'd love to hear. Atlanta- I am going to be there and I hope to see you if you will be there. I will be wearing a light blue hat. I hope to be up around the front. Yell at me! I'm a nice guy! Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Allright, that about wraps it up here at the Schnutz Bar tonight, but I have one more, and it's *not* about a parakeet. ... Okay, it is about a parakeet I lied. It's a parakeet getting eaten by a bird... <> -Jason Erlenborn Adam's do It xourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 17:35:59 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Denison Univ. Guess what? http://www.denison.edu has no info on the concert December 13th. Is anyone planning on finding info? Anyone got phone #s for Denison, cause my phonebook doesn't cover granville... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 17:47:30 -0500 (EST) From: Lambrakos Subject: TMBG: Regarding being Ridiculed I find the posts in regards to the girl who was quiet and left a concert (sorry Idon't remember her name, but that's not the point) which find some way to blame her for being shunned and ridiculed incredibly (can't find a word strong enough to convey my negative feelings, so I won't substitute something vulgar). The fact that someone can't sit alone and be quiet outside of a large group is intolerable to me. That people would band together to ridicule her for no other reason than her individuality I find extreemly offensive. Anyone who attempts to make her experiance her 'fault' for not choosing to interact with a group is in my mind a person with very little empathy and no experiances with being ridiculed or shunned for being different. I am sorry for the lack of TMBG content, but I was outraged enough at the posts I read to address this issue. Will. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 18:18:40 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: final fears of a virgin :) --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org > >Perhaps it is... I've heard people say things similar to Nothing's gonna > >change my mind... even if it's not exactly word for word, it's the same > >principle. "You can't change my mind..." or "I don't want to change > >your mind..." I think that's really what they're playing on. > > > Nothing's gonna change my mind is a line in the Beatles song Across the Universe actually, the line is "Nothing's going to change my world" not mind... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:20:30 GMT From: "Fan in Oz....." Subject: TMBG: Island concert You said... What a concept! Yeah, a medium sized island in the Pacific, with a good-sized open air stadium , and an International Airport. How about Australia...Largest island in the world...lots of good-sized stadiums and heaps of International Airports... "let me tell you about the illusion of Freewill" Sheriff Buck.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 18:24:58 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoes On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > At 11:14 AM 12/7/96 -0500, you wrote: > >On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > > > >> > If I am not mistaken, Linnell wears a pair of red All-Stars. > >> > > >> > >> He also often wears black All-Stars, as well. > >> > >> Who is right now wearing the same. > > > >If this isn't an AOLesque response, I dunno what is: > > > >MEE TOO!! > > > > I think I'll go buy some and jump on the bandwagon along with all you other > non-mainstream folks :^) Hehe...yeah, buy some fucking bobos. Or how 'bout some clown shoes? Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "The back wheel's 'O' is now a letter 'D'...I was an 'I' and now I'm a 'V'"--J. S. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:54:32 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Re: An Interesting Thought; Thoughts... GuavaBoy9 wrote: >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? I don't know about you, but I would be very uncomfortable reading messages from people who talk about me and scrutinize the many details of my life. Gillian Anderson once said that the Internet scares her to pieces because of the obsessed fans, and I don't blame her. If the Johns want to preserve their sanity and well-being, They should not read this list. Or any other list about Them. On the down side, though, it may also mean that They would have a less-informed idea of what their audience really consists of. >So, possibly, the two TMBG videos on Tiny Toons, were advertisements, or >plugs for Flood? I doubt it. The Johns have said that They were approached by the cartoon makers for permission to use those songs, and all They did was say yes. If you've ever watched Tiny Toons (or any others of those Spielberg cartoons) and have gotten the gist of their humor, you could easily picture those writers grooving to the tunes of TMBG. Chances are, they just wanted to pay tribute to a favorite band. Catch the end credits for the Tiny Toons credits joke. It's often an inside joke. It's usually something like: Kathleen Smith -------------------- Resident Goat-Feeder For the TMBG episode, it was: Istanbul ------------------ Not Constantinople ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 18:04:55 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. Queen Sneepy wrote: > > On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, That's Michael Rose to you! wrote: > > > > Happy Chanukah, to all fellow Jews out there. I hope your Mom > > makes potato latkes but she doesn't make you sing. > > I second that! I get no latkes this year (boo hoo...) but I will sing! > Come one everyone! "Ma-o-tsur yeshooati..." ew, transliterated hebrew is > no fun. I'm a Lutheran, but my family celebrates St Nick's on the evening of the 5th-into the 6th, which is Catholic, and we got these really neet little Chanukah toys in our stockings. We're either multi-cultural or just kinda mixed up, I'm not sure yet -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoes Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:49:53 -0500 (EST) BlueDawg writes: > > If this isn't an AOLesque response, I dunno what is: > > MEE TOO!! > I believe that you mean "Mee 2" :-) m@t ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: a gigantic nuclear furnace From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 20:08:21 EST Hey, kiddies, java.man here with his new copy of WDTSS. Just have a short story for you. I picked it up at the new Borders that just opened up in my semi-neighborhood. They have a mighty selection of TMBG, with 2 of each album (just 1 misc T), but no singles, and no FS. Odd. WDTSS was at the back of the TMBG section, with a somewhat torn plastic wrapper. Odd again. This may require more research. And I can't get my scanner to scan in the cover of WDTSS. I want the funny-lookin' guy on the front, but he's positioned so my oddly-shaped scanner can't scan it. Aargh! Now I'll just have to jack the pic from somebody's site. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 20:18:43 EST Or In-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby. Has anyone noticed how "I see you through my spy glasses, baby" sounds somewhat like "in-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby?" For those of you less musically literate (like myself), or if you want the version of in-na-whatever that I'm thinking of, it's on Weird Al's Dare To Be Stupid album's polka. Just some mindless rambling from... Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 20:29:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: triangle man This probably has already been discussed before, but I have always been wondering what does Triangle man represent. For that matter, what about Universe Man? Joel http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 20:55:45 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Pansexual!" >It doesn't matter to me if they are gay or bi or pansexual for all I care. ^^^^^^^^^ Hmmmmm? I haven't heard *that* word before. >I like this lineup the best out of all of those proposed so far. Good >choices, Dawg :) I second that. Although, I *do* think JF and JL should get to play at least *one* set together... :) >Second of all, I am utterly sick of the priggish, close minded people >that automatically dub TMBG as "quirky" without doing their homework. Why? I don't expect any newspaper or large music mag to get *anything* right on any non-popular band; the chances that someone on the staff is a fan are small. And you must admit that, no matter how much TMBG "squirm" at that image, they are "quirky." While they may be moving away from that direction now, their first three albums in particular were awash with exactly what quirky is supposed to mean. My *only* complaint with the term quirky is that it's overused. So, in general, my suggestion is just to lighten up about the whole thing. If I wrote the newspaper every time they printed something they were blatantly ignorant of, I would use up a lot of paper. >Yup, me too. I was 10 when I got it for christmas. But that's the only REM cd >I have. I've always wanted AFTP, but never got around to buying it. Do so. Now. If Out of Time is a Hershey bar, Automatic For The People is expensive imported Belgian chocolate. >I prefer pre-bald REM. IMHO, Monster is a brilliant little piece of work. And shaving it is probably the most *normal* thing Stipey ever did to his hair. >(can't remember which, or even if there IS such a thing as a college music chart) CMJ always tracks the top 200 college radio songs, I believe. Last week, TMBG were #13. >I always felt the "marriage"(sp?) in this song meant the bringing >together of completely disparate musical styles. Also important to notice that, to TMBG, it's two completely disparate and VERY GOOD musical styles. >Well, I don't know if I would go that far. Instead you should go look at your Sarcasm-O-Meter and turn it on. >I assumed that the song had >something to do with some project that the two performers may have >sometime done or something...Aren't they both Motown-ish? Marvin Gaye (who, coincidentally, was originally named "Marvin Gay" and added an "E" because his childhood friends teased him about it) was a Motown singer. If memory serves, Phil Ochs was a folk singer. Big diff. :) >In fact, I'd say the gay community needs >some good musicians. Not to say that Elton John isn't a good musician... >but I guess I am. You are...gay? Elton John? Saying that? A good musician? >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? They'd leave. Josh Let's stick together 'cause we're number eight /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:47:11 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? On Fri, 06/12/96, 22:24:56 Jenifer W Stewart spake thus: >Besides that, I DON'T think that They would write a song which poked fun >at homosexuals, especially since They dedicated this album to a good >friend of theirs who had just died of AIDs. Sorry to start ranting again. I'm still smarting from than damn Ben Folds f***ing 5 crap last week..... HIV/AIDS is _NOT_ a gay infliction. ANYONE can contract HIV - gay, straight, IV drug user, blood transfusion recipient (less likely nowadays).... And you can't die of AIDS..... You can only die of the infection/disease that your body can't fight off because AIDS has decimated your imune system. Jen - this ain't a flame - I just wanna set the record (ahem) "straight". Joe -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:09:08 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: Marvin and The Day Re: Marvin Gaye> this guy was the shining example of heterosexual smooth machismo. After all, his big later hit was called Sexual Healing. Nobody ever even joked about his name. No, 'The Day' is not so shallow as to be simply about a gay wedding. Too obvious. What, the Johns suddenly decide to eschew writing songs with deep meanings? i personally subscribe to the idea of the funereal approach. The trees all waved their giant arms in honor , the fluffy pillows speaks to the rest of death, a common TMBG theme. All words seem to draw skyward: looking up at trees, biplanes, clouds... The slow dirge-like cadence, the use of death metaphors, and happiness as blood all speak to a deeper, more personal statement. Truly a somber piece. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 21:50:29 EST On Sat, 07 Dec 1996 20:18:43 EST java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) writes: >Or In-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby. Has anyone noticed how "I see you >through my spy glasses, baby" sounds somewhat like >"in-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby?" "That sounds like Rock and/or Roll" -Reverend Lovejoy, The Simpsons... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: The web site. Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:06:01 -0500 (EST) Two things with the web site: 1) I changed the background on the Interps, perhaps people can read them now without killing their eyes. :-) 2) I've got a problem with moving. I have a place to put the web site but it's darn inconveniant. I have two or three other options, but I'm not sure I can work them out in time. So, perhaps you can help. I'm looking for someplace in Northern Virginia to put the web site temporarily. I would simply co-locate my machine at this place until I can make more perminant arrangements. Requirements are T1 or better access to the Internet. If you might be able to help, drop me a note. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 21:05:16 -0600 >Or In-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby. Has anyone noticed how "I see you through >my spy glasses, baby" sounds somewhat like "in-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby?" >For those of you less musically literate (like myself), or if you want >the version of in-na-whatever that I'm thinking of, it's on Weird Al's >Dare To Be Stupid album's polka. > >Just some mindless rambling from... > THATS WHATS IT HAS REMINDED ME OF THIS WHOLE TIME! It is not from Werid Al, if thats what you thought.... It is a song by IRON BUTTERFLY. The only reason i know this is my brother got it and listened to it a lot. It has about 4 lines of lyrics, repeated a lot, and some kinda nifty guitar. It gets very boring after the first two (out of about 7) minutes. It keeps repeating. "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 21:11:41 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: An Interesting Thought; Thoughts... > >So, possibly, the two TMBG videos on Tiny Toons, were advertisements, or > >plugs for Flood? > > I doubt it. The Johns have said that They were approached by the > cartoon makers for permission to use those songs, and all They did was say > yes. If you've ever watched Tiny Toons (or any others of those Spielberg > cartoons) and have gotten the gist of their humor, you could easily picture > those writers grooving to the tunes of TMBG. Chances are, they just wanted > to pay tribute to a favorite band. > I have a copy of an interview that John and John (and another guy named John who played drums for them at the time) did with a show called "Idiot's Delight". In that interview, they talk about the Tiny Toons thing. I believe it was Flans that mentioned that They had never seen the show when they were asked permission for Their songs. All they knew was that it was a Steven Spielberg thing, and they dug the concept, so they agreed to let the folks use Their toons. So there you go... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "There's lots of room for you on the bandwagon..." --REM ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 21:15:28 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: java.mail: a gigantic nuclear furnace > And I can't get my scanner to scan in the cover of WDTSS. I want the > funny-lookin' guy on the front, but he's positioned so my oddly-shaped > scanner can't scan it. Aargh! Now I'll just have to jack the pic from > somebody's site. > Maybe I should go ahead and get my friend (who owns a scanner) to scan my cover of WDTSS, complete with Flansburgh's signature. yeah, boyeee. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Until your time, look at all the flags, and all the banners waving...this is some parade, yes siree-bob..." --REM ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:17:19 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: java.mail: baby, da-vi-da-da-ga-na-in IT was originally called In the Garden of Eden, but they were so messed up when they recorded it, that that's how it turned out. I see a very, very big similarity here. I had never thought of it before, I guess you're right though... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Wyatt Glodell wrote: > >Or In-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby. Has anyone noticed how "I see you through > >my spy glasses, baby" sounds somewhat like "in-na-ga-da-da-vi-da, baby?" > >For those of you less musically literate (like myself), or if you want > >the version of in-na-whatever that I'm thinking of, it's on Weird Al's > >Dare To Be Stupid album's polka. > > > >Just some mindless rambling from... > > > > THATS WHATS IT HAS REMINDED ME OF THIS WHOLE TIME! > > It is not from Werid Al, if thats what you thought.... > > It is a song by IRON BUTTERFLY. The only reason i know this is my > brother got it and listened to it a lot. It has about 4 lines of lyrics, > repeated a lot, and some kinda nifty guitar. It gets very boring after the > first two (out of about 7) minutes. It keeps repeating. > "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" > "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" > "Shut Up, Me" > I hate arguing with myself, i always loose > WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 21:35:18 -0600 From: Simon Koch Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Our eleventh president Jonah wrote: > > Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > > >I got hooked on the Sega CD version of Mammal, then I heard Snail Shell on > > >Doctor Demento, and bought JH. Flood was number 2. > > > > That is certainly the most unique TMBG story I've ever read. > Well, how about this one? The first TMBG song I heard was James K. Polk, > four years ago in fifth grade, when a girl played the song while doing a > report on the president(this being fifth grade, the song contained all > the information for her report). And as if that wasn't weird enough, the > second song I heard was an old version of tryptophane which he DJ played > on Thanksgiving and said was a TMBG song. I don't know if Mono Puff had > been named yet. Seeing as how I liked both these songs, I went out and > bought.. flood, which I loved at the time but which is now my least > favorite TMBG album. I happen to kinda like Flood, but that's another argument for another day... My TMBG story is even more unique. I work summers at a Boy Scout camp near Kiel, WI (if anyone knows where it is w/o a map, I'll be impressed). A couple guys from Fond du Lac were fans, and they played it a lot. I got hooked on Spider & Mammal first, We want a Rock second, and finally, and still my favorite, WDTSS! -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 20:19:10 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Asking Politely I was perusing through the lyrics at TMBG.org and now I'd like to know: What were the tapes "Free When You Call From Work," "The Low Fidelity Experience," and "The Frank (O'Toole?) Show"? Could I possibly get these? E-amil me personally, please. I'm sure the list doesn't want to see the answers to this question over and over again. So, any nice people want to help me out? ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 23:49:38 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? At 01:47 AM 12/8/96 GMT, you wrote: >On Fri, 06/12/96, 22:24:56 Jenifer W Stewart spake thus: > >>Besides that, I DON'T think that They would write a song which poked fun >>at homosexuals, especially since They dedicated this album to a good >>friend of theirs who had just died of AIDs. > >HIV/AIDS is _NOT_ a gay infliction. ANYONE can contract HIV - gay, straight, >IV drug user, blood transfusion recipient (less likely nowadays).... Yes, but remember, this was 1986. It was the general uninformed idea that it was a gay infliction. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye Date: Sat, 7 Dec 96 23:01:44 -0600 From: Danny Jones Some really odd stuff passed through here in the last day or so about Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye. So weird I don't know where to start. They didn't marry each other. Gay? Phil Ochs was married at least once (twice, I think). Marvin Gaye's songs were so aggressively heterosexual that it is funny to think about him being gay. >Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now. If >these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their >first album? In case you don't have it, it's about "the day that Marvin Gaye >and Phil Ochs got married" and the trees all (swayed and sang or something >real...gay). That's a real odd question to me. That's similar to saying, if these guys aren't ornithologists, why did they put a song like "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on an album? Or, if they don't love spiders, why did they put a song called "Spider" on an album? If they are night people, why did they put a song about the sun on a single? >Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first >album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? It's an image so shocking and unusual, that you really have to think about what they might mean because you can't take it literally. Phil Ochs, white and a poor man's Bob Dylan (but whose songs were even more strident than Dylan's), marrying Marvin Gaye, a black R&B artist whose songs were often about social injustice or sexuality? It's laughable. It's humorous. It didn't REALLY happen. So the listener is left to wonder what was really meant. Did the ghost of a dance instructor REALLY push him into a grave? (In "Turn Around") Of course not. The image is shocking, unusual, and funny. The listener is left to wonder what they meant. I don't take it to mean that "they must believe in violent ghosts or else why would they put it in a song if they didn't want people to believe that." >It's my understanding that they did marry. As in literally. > >I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading or hearing about it from a >different source. No. They did not marry. They probably didn't even know each other. Phil Ochs heyday was over by the mid-to-late 60's. He killed himself in 1973. (Pretty sure it was 73. If you want more info, there is an interesting biography of Phil Ochs called "Death of a Rebel" by Marc Eliot.) Perhaps the song is about the marriage of musical styles (folk protest and Motown R&B). Perhaps they really did marry women on the same day, and there was a hurricane ("the trees all waved their giant arms") that day. But to get from this song that they are gay, that's an astounding leap of logic as far as I'm concerned. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 00:09:25 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Enough About The Day. The thread is dead. There is nothing more important to be said about it. To add some content to this message: Whoever said having FS has increased their liking of JH was right on target. I think (if you didn't like JJH before) that now you can see that it was just a part of their musical evolution... Non-TMBG: I just got XTC's Skylarking for 9 bucks. Fairly good, nothing incredible though. What was the single from this? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 00:14:33 -0800 From: Pez Subject: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! Woe is me. Woe is my friends. Woe is the whole TMBG community.... Today was to be the Nashville concert/instore but as you may already know that it never came to be. I heard a rumor that it had happened and then found it to be true.... All of they's equipment was stolen in Albany yesterday. The stage manager was supposed to unload everything from the van for the night and he didn't... The van and everything was gone the next morning.... Cancellations ensued.....and no future date has been set yet.... I'm too choked up from not seeing them to type more - we had to improvise a concert by watching all my live performances on tape.... pez ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 23:47:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Pansexual!" >>In fact, I'd say the gay community needs >>some good musicians. Not to say that Elton John isn't a good musician... >>but I guess I am. > >You are...gay? Elton John? Saying that? A good musician? hmm... good point... let me re-phrase that: "I wouldn't say the Elton John isn't a good musician, but I guess I am saying that Elton John isn't a good musician." actually, just to simplify I'll go with the stereotypical AOLer statement (If you're an AOL user and are offended, go look up stereotypical): "Elton John SUCKS!" -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Kmsog@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:09:40 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: "livin' the dream" In a message dated 96-12-07 15:13:58 EST, you write: << >"We're willing to sleep with beautiful women." - John > >Flansburgh > Whoa.... where'd this come from??? >> this is from an interview that appeared in People Magazine (of all things) in '87 (Im estimating the date, it's obscured in my photocopy). the full comment goes: "Both Giants regard the typical rock star excesses -- cheap women and expensive cars -- as shallow, decadent and, lamentably, out of reach. 'We're willing to sleep with beautiful women,' says Flansburgh hopefully (the Giants are both single). 'Ah, the Crue, they're livin' the dream,' adds Linnell, with perhaps less than perfect sincerity." -- (one of the) jen(s) "They don't go 'Oh, you're just like Mick Jagger.' They go, 'Oh, you're just like my brother.'" -- flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:12:13 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: thought on Tiny Toons On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 GuavaBoy9@aol.com wrote: ** Tiny Toons is Warner Bros. show, isn't it? ** Elektra is part of Warner Bros., isn't it? ** Elektra is TMBG's recording company, isn't it? This really has nothing to do with it, but if you don't like big corporations, you might want to know this. Warner Bros. is part of the gigantic Time Warner mega-evil conglomerate, which owns the entire universe. Almost seriously. The own so many media and other companies, you'd probably be shocked to learn all of the companies. When TMBG says they're 'happily ensconsed in the corporate world' or somesuch, they really mean it. RS ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:25:13 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-96 TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or.. by Pez@earthlink.net > All of they's equipment was stolen in Albany yesterday. The stage > manager was supposed to unload everything from the van for the night and > he didn't... The van and everything was gone the next morning.... > > Cancellations ensued.....and no future date has been set yet.... > > > I'm too choked up from not seeing them to type more - we had to > improvise a concert by watching all my live performances on tape.... Anyone know what this is going to do for other concerts? Like Pittsburgh on the 14th? ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: pink album date? Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:56:27 -0500 (EST) > Charles Box sez: > >Just thought I would drop my input on this thread.. I seem to see A LOT of > >"the first TMBG album I bought was John Henry and it is their best please > >don't bash my favorite album"... sorry to say, but am I the only one who I was curious, it says 1986 on the case of the first album, but it says 1987 on the CD. Did this come out late '86 or early '87 or does anyone know what month it came out? In any case, I must have been in 7th grade when this came out and being as foolish as I was then I did not even know TMBG existed. Not until the early 90s as seems the case with most people and A18 got me hooked on em. I fear it wasn't until around 1991-92 when I started listening to good music and not crappy music (for the most part that seems to be the case looking back). I have liked XTC, Robyn Hitchcock and Duran Duran for ages (heheh gotta love a little DD every once in a while!, besides I grew up on the video to Hungry Like the Wolf and got Rio when I was 7 years old, my first record). I did remember enjoying the Pixies alot in 1991 when I guy I worked with turned me onto them but only got to see them live on TV once on Letterman. But this is all moot. I do know a guy who got into TMBG around '87 or '88 but alas I did not know him well enough to learn of the splendors of their work then! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-336 ******************************