Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-337 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 337 Monday, 9 December 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! TMBG: Video Available TMBG: Yet another incredible odd TMBG dream TMBG: The Incredible Shrinking Elektra TMBG: Early Years release date Re:Re:Re:Re:TMBG: Early Years release date TMBG: first exposure TMBG: Printing MIDI Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. TMBG: Putting 12/5 to rest once and for all. Re: TMBG: Regarding being Ridiculed Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. Re: TMBG: triangle man Re: TMBG: Asking Politely Re: TMBG: Linnell on WBER?!!?!?! TMBG: istanbul? TMBG: Tape of Milwaukee Show Re: TMBG: Tape of Milwaukee Show TMBG: cincy 12/5 show Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. TMBG: Cub's NYC Re: TMBG: Cub's NYC Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Vs. S~E~X~X~Y Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. TMBG: Re: NC Show TMBG: NASHVILLE? TMBG: I Can Hear Your on the Web TMBG: I Can Hear You on the Web (wrong URL, sorry!) Re: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. (fwd) Fw: TMBG: NASHVILLE? TMBG: i can hear you TMBG: moxy & BNL Re: TMBG: Cub's NYC and Mint Records Re: TMBG: i can hear you TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Exo-palentologist!" Re: TMBG: i can hear you Re: TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" Re: TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. Re: TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Napalm death? WHEE!" Re: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Re: Fw: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Napalm death? WHEE!" TMBG: I can just barely hear you... Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Exo-palentologist!" *LONG* Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: the movie TMBG: Encores and Set Lists TMBG: [Fwd: FW: Donation of books (fwd)] TMBG: Atlanta show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 02:22:48 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-96 TMBG: Why Must I be sad > -or.. by Pez@earthlink.net > > All of they's equipment was stolen in Albany yesterday. The stage > > manager was supposed to unload everything from the van for the night and > > he didn't... The van and everything was gone the next morning.... > > > > Cancellations ensued.....and no future date has been set yet.... Did this include Linnell's accordian and Flans' geometrically shaped guitar?!? Ouch!! If it did.. I would think this postponement will be longer than I first anticipated. heather ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 02:29:17 -0500 (EST) > > I think you are overlooking one major/minor point here, gays are > not allowed to get married in the U.S. today, let alone back when these > two guys were still alive... Besides... I assumed that the song had > something to do with some project that the two performers may have > sometime done or something...Aren't they both Motown-ish? As of last week or so, gays can get married in Hawaii. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 02:40:23 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Must I be sad -or- They Might be THEIVES! >Did this include Linnell's accordian and Flans' geometrically shaped >guitar?!? Ouch!! If it did.. I would think this postponement will be >longer than I first anticipated. > >heather > And if it did... is the thief selling??? It's just, I've always wanted that M-Shaped guitar... < =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 02:56:29 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: Video Available Hey all, TMBG.COM now has the video section under Melody updated. It's got some stuff not from Elektra's page (Snail Shell, Hotel Detective, Ana NG, I(nC)). Maybe someday, we'll see a sort of dial a song on-line under "Sound." =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 02:50:46 -0500 (EST) From: "That's Michael Rose to you!" Subject: TMBG: Yet another incredible odd TMBG dream Well, as further proof that I am going insane, I had a dream about TMBG just last night. However it ties in to recurring themes in my subconscious and the TMBG element was only a part of it. In the dream I had somehow managed to travel back in time to what I think was the year 1983. This was very exciting, since I tend to recall the early 80's as a rather fascinating era, due to the fact that it was all just on the cusp of a great era of technological change that put an end to a certain way of perceiving the world. As well I often fantasise about being able to travel to the recent past so that I might be able to study it from my current perspective. Anyway I was walking around the city and came upon a large record store, and I became very excited because this would be somewhat of a microcosm of the musical culture of the period. It was called A&A Records, which was a real store that closed down here a few years ago. I went inside and I was fascinated by the size of the store as well as the proliferation of vinyl records. I recall much of the store was bathed in a beautiful red light. I felt very excited walking through the store, and I wish I could adequately describe the sensation of walking among those of a certain period as a traveler from another time. Some of the details have become vague but I recall the verisimilitude of the experience. It felt real and I believed I was there, I did not suddenly realise I was dreaming. I was compelled to go look at all records under "T". I looked at CDs first, though I know that in 1983 there were not really a lot of CDs in existence. I found a bunch of TMBG CDs that I had never seen before, replete with artwork and song titles that I invented for the dream. It was fascinating but I knew I could not buy any of them because, um, I did not want to disrupt the space-time continuum. My position was that if I bought them, it might prevent the people who actually did buy them from buying them and as a result it would set off a chain reaction of events leading to a horrible cataclysm. I do recall finding one CD which had a cover similar to that of Wally Pleasant's Songs About Stuff. Anyway then I moved onto vinyl and there were a bunch of records by TMBG that I had never heard of. One of them had a photograph on the back of John and John, on different sides of a room with a saxophone on the floor near John Sid. I have never seen a photo like this in my waking life. It was a song I had never heard of. I was infuriated that I was unable to buy them. Then, all of a sudden it was time for an instore concert by John and John. They launched into something which I realise now was not a song but which at the time seemed just fine. The store's interior was spacious with hardwood floors and beams. John Conant stayed way in the back, with his guitar while John Sid stood out front. I recall there being a kind of bench next to me on which sat a black man who seemed to be having a really good time. After a moment, John Sid opened up a medium sized yet oddly shaped case and produced an absurd looking instrument which resembled a cross between an accordion and a saxophone but with a streamlined design and a lot of small buttons. It was a very modern type of design and I was fascinated by it. However I felt at that time that I had to leave so that I would not do anything to disrupt that pesky space-time continuum, so I made to leave but then I decided to approach John Sid, and I did, and I went to shake his hand and he shook it, smiling at me. Then I whispered something to him which he made a great effort to hear. I said, "You guys are my favourite band." He smiled at me and then I left. I remember thinking, I hope he is glad to hear me say that since it is only 1983 and no one knows who they are!! I was filled with a great voyeuristic excitement, that at this moment I would very much like to experience again. The dream did continue, and I got to see more of this bygone era (I went to a bank and pondered showing them my bank card just to see if they would be freaked out by something which back then did not exist) but the John and John incident remained with me. This was a beautiful, vivid dream and the way it made me feel to have it was very special. Only in dreams can we transcend space and time to do the impossible. And music has the power to transcend all which surrounds it, to become the total experience of the moment. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Making a mockery of technology, finding even more wasteful uses, it's: Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Where all of your diseases have silly names song of the day: Beck - "Novacane" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 02:46:13 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: The Incredible Shrinking Elektra To Whomever mentioned a while back that as They did more albums with Elektra, the named "Elektra" got smaller in relation Their name on the side of the CD jewel boxes: I noticed the same thing with the Pixies as well. On Doolittle, "Elektra" and "Pixies" appear the same size on the side of the jewel box; on "Trompe Le Monde", "Elektra" is dwarfed by the band's name. Interesting. ANyone else notice this? Cory ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 07:16:37 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Early Years release date According to CMJ, the release date of the boxed set is 1/21/97, not 2/25/97. Craig, mr. sick boy ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:TMBG: Early Years release date Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 06:58:23 -0600 >According to CMJ, the release date of the boxed set is 1/21/97, not 2/25/97. > >Craig, mr. sick boy > They changed it. Check out www.restless.com/giants.html for the cover art and some info. I think thats the right adress "Mice are for people that are too lazy to remember the keyboard commands" "Keyboards are for people too cheap to buy a good mouse" "Shut Up, Me" I hate arguing with myself, i always loose WYATT GLODELL WGLODELL@BARABOO.COM ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:44:28 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: first exposure I think my first exposure to Them was about three years ago (seventh grade) when my best friend's friend Christopher moved to Australia. I went to her house to comfort her (they'd known each other since kindergarten and they were freshmen at the time) and she had "I'll Sink Manhattan" on and was crying because she'd developed this talent where, when her CDs were on shuffle she accurately predict which song was coming next, but she always did that with Chris and therefore she was crying. I liked it, asked what it was, etc. I promptly forgot about the entire thing and watched Tiny Toons where they played Istanbul and Particle Man. Then I went back to her house and borrowed Apollo 18 and Misc. T. which I listened to until I had them both memorized. I got my first TMBG CDs two months ago for my 15th birthday- Apollo 18 and FS (which I am listening to right now- Metal Detector). I had my first concer experience a month and a half ago. Way cool! #!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!# Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3418 for a fuller explanation of the insanity that is Elitza. !#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!# ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:00:23 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Printing MIDI A while ago I promised to print midi files to notations gifs for anyone interested. A few days later I surfed to Musicator home page. It's a sequencer/hard disk recording program with capacity to print notations. The program is for pc, Windows 3.x and higher. Now, if you don't have pc and still want TMBG notations, send the midi files to me. Musicator demo can be found at http://www.missionrec.com/dl.html. The demo version has some limitations, but printing is not one of them. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 12:46:20 EST On Sun, 08 Dec 1996 00:09:25 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >To add some content to this message: >Whoever said having FS has increased their liking of JH was right on >target. I think (if you didn't like JJH before) that now you can see that >it was just a part of their musical evolution... FS makes me like JH better in that I can now say "It could be worse, it could be Factory Showroom"... just another part in their musical devolution... >actually, just to simplify I'll go with the stereotypical AOLer statement >(If you're an AOL user and are offended, go look up stereotypical): >"Elton John SUCKS!" Netcom is lumped right in there with AOL, lest you forget... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 13:35:53 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. At 12:46 PM 12/8/96 EST, you wrote: > FS makes me like JH better in that I can now say "It could be >worse, it could be Factory Showroom"... just another part in their >musical devolution... I wouldn't call it de-evolution...I'd call it trying something new. They're just trying different things so each album won't be a carbon copy of another... For instance, I think Don't Let's Start is a great song...but I wouldn't want an album w/ 40 minutes of DLS copies. I prefer the diversity, and I take the great songs along with the not-so-great songs. Then again, what do I know? I mean, I like 'You'll Miss Me'. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ From: "Kelley Kent" Subject: TMBG: Putting 12/5 to rest once and for all. Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 13:54:05 -0500 Now that the e-mails have finally stopped pouring in, I think it's time to put this entire "thing" behind me. First, let me start by thanking everyone who sent letters of support. And yes, I am including in there Will, who referred to me as "that girl" in his message, although I have been mistaken for Marlo Thomas before. :) [And just in case someone else missed out, I am a 20 year old male.] I only wish I had time to respond to them all. At last count I had 40+. But this is finals week for me so my time is very limited. Sorry. Second, my closing remarks of my 2nd posting on the 5th were indeed hasty. Trust me, I plan on going to a TMBG shows in the future. And I don't just mean one, I'm talking about double digits here. Woo-hoo! Third, I realize that not all TMBG fans are replicas of the bucket heads that I had encounted that fateful night. In fact, I would say that they are few and far between, judging by the people on this list. So if you're reading this letter right now, I consider you a nice person. :) Thanks for your time. Still living and learning, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 15:08:18 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Regarding being Ridiculed On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Lambrakos wrote: > I find the posts in regards to the girl who was quiet and left a concert > (sorry Idon't remember her name, but that's not the point) which find some > way to blame her for being shunned and ridiculed incredibly (can't find a > word strong enough to convey my negative feelings, so I won't substitute > something vulgar). The fact that someone can't sit alone and be quiet > outside of a large group is intolerable to me. That people would band > together to ridicule her for no other reason than her individuality I find > extreemly offensive. Anyone who attempts to make her experiance her 'fault' > for not choosing to interact with a group is in my mind a person with very > little empathy and no experiances with being ridiculed or shunned for being > different. I am sorry for the lack of TMBG content, but I was outraged > enough at the posts I read to address this issue. > > Will. I am not trying to ridicule you, or Kelly (That is her name, yes?). Okay that aside... I think the posts saying that what might have caused the occurance was here lack of interaction were not actually blaming her. I think they were probably statements to help her to avoid such an occurence in the future. Of course I don't know this, I didn't write them, but this was my take on them. If I recall, most of the letters had an abhorance for what was done there also, so noone was saying that it should have happened. I don't know, perhaps we are looking at different letters. I am not blaming her. I actually know what she went through. That sort of thing happed quite regularly to me throughout grade school and high school. So I am not out of empathy, I just want to say that, and I think this is what the other posts were saying, this should become alearning experience to avoid it from happening again. Not that it was her fault origenally. SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 16:13:49 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. > FS makes me like JH better in that I can now say "It could be >worse, it could be Factory Showroom"... just another part in their >musical devolution... > you can't de-volve. They are re-volving. >>actually, just to simplify I'll go with the stereotypical AOLer >statement >>(If you're an AOL user and are offended, go look up stereotypical): >>"Elton John SUCKS!" > > Netcom is lumped right in there with AOL, lest you forget... I don't know where you're picking that up from, but I'll have you know that Netcom screws you over more than AOL could ever hope to. And you don't get as much for your money (now that they're both the same price). (But at least I don't have to resort to a free e-mail service...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:02:53 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: triangle man On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > This probably has already been discussed before, but I have always been > wondering what does Triangle man represent. For that matter, what about > Universe Man? According to John Sid, nothing, nothing at all. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg .sig? No thanks, I don't cmoke ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:06:09 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Asking Politely The request was for personal email, but this is a question that's not in the FAQ, yet is asked of us at tmbg.org often. >What were the tapes "Free When You Call From Work," "The Low Fidelity >Experience," and "The Frank (O'Toole?) Show"? Could I possibly get these? The problem that arose was deciding which version of a song to put on www.tmbg.org when more than one recording was found. Though in most cases concert versions, Dial-a-Song versions, etc. are similar to studio versions of songs, in some cases (i.e. I Pal I) they are completely different. I decided to include all versions of songs on the pages, putting studio versions first where possible and then alternate lyrics further down on the page. That was a lot of lyrics, though. Which to exclude? I decided that I would not just put lyrics transcribed from any old bootleg, as that would be cumbersome. The alternate lyrics, then are taken from more "official" recordings. These include CD's as well as large compilation efforts once freely available through the mailing list or newsgroup. The recordings I added: --The 1985 Demo Tape Their first and only widely available and sold demo. --The Frank O'Toole Show AKA "the WFMU tape," a radio show done in 1987. --Live in New York Radio Promo/Hello release on CD of a concert. --Dr. Spock's Backup Band European bootleg CD of a concert. --The Power of Dial-a-Song A compilation originating on this list of Dial-a-Songs. --Free When You Call From Work Same as above but initially made via a.m.tmbg. --The Low-Fidelity Experience A comp. of TMBG stuff from the 'Net, including DAS Online. I intend to add Stupbox, if possible, to this list, but that would be a lot of transcription work. If anyone wants to help, I'd try to tackle that. All recordings are available by dubs from any kind souls on the list who care to offer. I am currently too busy to run a tape tree. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:37:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell on WBER?!!?!?! >I Was just listening to WBER over RA (hoping to hear SEXXY, i >dont know why though) and a song ended and someone that >sounded EXACTLy like linnell was talking. I was somewhere >else so i didn't castch all of it, something like "Now it's >SEXXY from THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS >and It's me" Is that a linnelll sounding DJ? WHAT WAS IT???? >i dont suppose anyone else (kdsinthhal)?? was listening? Lol. I could've been. Either the dj you heard sounds like Linnell, or you heard the promo they often run: L: "Hello, this is the tangled web" F: "And the flotation device" L: "Of _They_Might_Be_Giants_!" ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:18:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: istanbul? at hanukah last night,at my aunts house,my uncle was just,singing the whole time,then he all of a sudden starts singing slowly--- "ISTANBUL IS CONSTANTINOPLE NOW ISTANBUL IS CONSTANTINOPLE.... NOBODY DOES IT LIKE THE TURKS" was he slurring out the tmbg song or the original version? becasue i dont know if hes getting the lyrics wrong or just singing the original. also....i already got some info from sarah (kdsinthhal),but does anyone have info on the rochester show? and e-mail me personally,i dont want 100's of people reading a personal response abut something not signifacant to them. THANKS! :p Jordan "im gonna take YOU to the hospital" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 17:19:56 -0600 From: Tom Walker Subject: TMBG: Tape of Milwaukee Show Does anyone have a copy of the Milwaukee show from Nov 30? It was my first show of TMBG and I would love to immortalize it with a copy. I have some r.e.m. boots and i can always trade blanks. You would make me so happy. Thanks Tom Walker twalker@gac.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:31:19 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Tape of Milwaukee Show hey, check out the traders page in my sig and follow one of the links there, someone is bound to have it. --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Tom Walker wrote: > Does anyone have a copy of the Milwaukee show from Nov 30? It was my first > show of TMBG and I would love to immortalize it with a copy. I have some > r.e.m. boots and i can always trade blanks. You would make me so happy. Thanks > > Tom Walker > twalker@gac.edu > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:32:00 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: TMBG: cincy 12/5 show did anyone get a good boot of this? it was my first show and my copy is messed up, I would love to get a copy of my first show... --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 18:33:42 EST On Sun, 08 Dec 1996 16:13:49 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >>>actually, just to simplify I'll go with the stereotypical AOLer statement >>>(If you're an AOL user and are offended, go look up stereotypical): >>>"Elton John SUCKS!" >> >> Netcom is lumped right in there with AOL, lest you forget... > >I don't know where you're picking that up from, but I'll have you know that >Netcom screws you over more than AOL could ever hope to. And you don't get >as much for your money (now that they're both the same price). (But at >least I don't have to resort to a free e-mail service...) So is this supposed to be you ridiculing me for my use of juno? There's something wrong with free stuff? I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say... AOL is a better deal so it should be stereotypified more often? Is that it? *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:50:25 -0500 () From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Cub's NYC Hey, you can hear NYC by Cub over Realaudio. The Cub home page is: http://www.io.org/~cygnals/cub/cubhome.html. Nice, I've listened to a couple of the RealAudio snippetts, and I have to find their CD now. I haven't seen it at all, unfortunately. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "The back wheel's 'O' is now a letter 'D'...I was an 'I' and now I'm a 'V'"--J. S. Linnell ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:06:19 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub's NYC > Hey, you can hear NYC by Cub over Realaudio. The Cub home page is: > http://www.io.org/~cygnals/cub/cubhome.html. Nice, I've listened to a > couple of the RealAudio snippetts, and I have to find their CD now. I > haven't seen it at all, unfortunately. hey, for everyone else, just go to http://mintrecs.com and look around. it's their label. you can sample the video to that and Freaky, which is on Box of Hair. you can also order their cd's for $12 each. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 07:25:32 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. Okay, take this to personal mail please. :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 18:40:46 -0600 Subject: TMBG: S~E~X~X~Y Vs. S~E~X~X~Y Hey I just bought the SEXXY "single" but I noticed there seemed to be 2 versions of it, one was in a box, that I think was like the WDTSS single but the other, which I bought was a box like Back to Skull and had a sticker that read "~contains~ 2 mixes of SEXXY ~plus~ Sensurround ~and~ 2 tracks you won't find anywhere else" The 2 tracks were Unforgotten and We've got a world that swings, I checked the back of the other and there was only (I think) the 2 SEXXY's and Sensurround, But I'm SURE it had fewer songs than the one I got, anyone know why? Sir Drywall "sorry, no quote yet"-Sir Drywall ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:42:19 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough About The Day. On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > FS makes me like JH better in that I can now say "It could be > >worse, it could be Factory Showroom"... just another part in their > >musical devolution... > > > > you can't de-volve. They are re-volving. I thought they were E-volving... I dunno, doesn't seem like their going around in circles to me... purhaps I am wrong though... SJL Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 19:40:22 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: TMBG: Re: NC Show Kelly Michele Marks wrote: >I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about the Dec. 11 show at the >Ritz (Raleigh). I found the date posted on the Performance Tour Search, >but I haven't seen anything else to confirm it. If anyone has any info >(time, tickets, yada, yada, yada) or is planning on going, I would be >much obligied if they could drop me a line... Well I was hoping I could go, but it looks like the show's been postponed (so last week's Independent and WKNC says, anyway). I don't know _when_ it's been postponed to though. I hope it's before December 20th 'cause I'm moving then. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:06:46 -0600 (CST) From: Nicholas Lee Mullins Subject: TMBG: NASHVILLE? what happened with TMBG and Nashville. I made the trip up there, and the show was cancelled. Can anybody who is on this list explain to me what happened? WHy did they cancel their Dec. 8th show in Nashville? Nick ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: I Can Hear Your on the Web Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:40:03 -0500 Check out http://www.udel.edu/~spike/tmbg.html for a (poor) recording of a (good and fun) performance of I Can Hear You ... arranged for piano, basson, flute, radio static, and voice (sung into a paper cup). The recording was made on a pretty poor machine so the quality is worse than most bootlegs. But check it out anyway. harlan -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: I Can Hear You on the Web (wrong URL, sorry!) Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:41:16 -0500 sorry, the correct URL is actually http://www.udel.edu/spike/tmbg.html (no tilde character) -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:27:00 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: NASHVILLE? > what happened with TMBG and Nashville. I made the trip up there, and the > show was cancelled. Can anybody who is on this list explain to me what > happened? WHy did they cancel their Dec. 8th show in Nashville? sadly, as I have heard, all Their equipment was stolen befor ethe show... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 19:25:48 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. (fwd) I just want to add my Channukkah greetings to all thoses Jews like me out there in TMBG land.. nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 18:04:55 -0600 From: Simon Koch To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Elves? I don't see any elves. Queen Sneepy wrote: > > On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, That's Michael Rose to you! wrote: > > > > Happy Chanukah, to all fellow Jews out there. I hope your Mom > > makes potato latkes but she doesn't make you sing. > > I second that! I get no latkes this year (boo hoo...) but I will sing! > Come one everyone! "Ma-o-tsur yeshooati..." ew, transliterated hebrew is > no fun. I'm a Lutheran, but my family celebrates St Nick's on the evening of the 5th-into the 6th, which is Catholic, and we got these really neet little Chanukah toys in our stockings. We're either multi-cultural or just kinda mixed up, I'm not sure yet -- "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Fw: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:49:50 -0500 > sadly, as I have heard, all Their equipment was stolen befor ethe > show... So. How many shows are cancelled? Will this affect the Rochester show on the 29th? This doesn't look too good... :< (oh and another correction. i spelled bassoon wrong. so sue me. it was a typo. :> ) -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 96 20:45 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: i can hear you Well, like the idiot I am, I deleted the message about a performance of I Can Hear You arranged for the flute, bassoon, and several other instruments. Anyway, do you have the music written out? I play the flute, and it would be cool if I could play this song. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: moxy & BNL Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:59:28 -0500 (EST) Is anyone by any chance going to see BNL and/or Moxy Fruvous on Dec 31 in New York City? Myself and Cortney are going to try out darndest to make it up there for 1 or both (probably Moxy if only 1). Also, if anyone has info on thes4e shows can you e-mail me? Thanks! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 21:50:10 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub's NYC and Mint Records Yes! Love that cub! >hey, for everyone else, just go to http://mintrecs.com and look >around. it's their label. And you can check out some of the other cool bands on Mint! Like The Smugglers! (In a vain attempt to relate this to TMBG in some vague way, I'll tell you that inside The Smugglers' "Selling The Sizzle" CD they celebrate a list of bands including The Young Fresh Fellows.) There are also tour diaries on the website from The Smugglers and The Mr. T Experience which I found made for a very entertaining hour. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:00:11 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: i can hear you maybe you should send it to Them like that teacher did with particle man and see if you can get on SF or something... :) I'm like halfway serious here. btw-where was it again? --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > Well, like the idiot I am, I deleted the message about a > performance of I Can Hear You arranged for the flute, bassoon, and several > other instruments. Anyway, do you have the music written out? I play the > flute, and it would be cool if I could play this song. ;) > > Kirsten > > -- > ______________________________________________________________________________ > "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 21:59:22 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" >Certain People I Could Name- Is there a "definate" lyric sheet to this that >I could find? www.tmbg.org, the source for *all* your lyrics questions. > Actually, I think that would be ... :) >most of the people who were associated >with TMBG, and were net-wise, have had fallings out with Flansburgh Wait...Bo Orloff, Bill Krauss...who am I missing? And what, exactly, happened with Bill? I hear all the time about how there was this big thing between Lincoln and Flood, but I have no idea what it was. >What is Superfueled Freaksicle (or something like that)? Is it a new album, >a live album, a collection of B-sides, what? Someone help me. Superfueled will be a 2-CD B-sides collection (due this month, next month, next spring, next summer, 1998, or 2061, depending on who you ask) which will supposedly also contain some new songs and some live tracks. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. >Also, release dates for these two (albums?) would be appreciated. Then has been pushed back to Feb. 25. For SF see above. >Also will probably include some totally new songs (not demo tape >stuff, stuff they left off FS) At the moment, TMBG are strongly considering using the mini-tour songs as a basis for a *new* album due 2nd-3rd quarter '97 at the strong urging of Pat Dillett, so I would be quite surprised to see them show up on Superfueled. >Everything fits because one CD can actually hold about 75 minutes of music. 80 minutes, actually... >You know, I used to think that when they said "less filling" they meant "less >of a substance called 'filling.'" Well, it works with pastries. You know, less filling. :P >Nothing's gonna change my mind is a line in the Beatles song Across the Universe WORLD. Nothing's gonna change my WORLD. Oh, regarding the "debate" of whether NGCMC was referring to this or to the phrase "Nothing's Gonna Change My Mind" -- while I can't say it was based on the Beatles song, I'm sure They at least had it in mind, considering both Flans' comments about "We want to be the Beatles" and the cultural skewering that was so upfront on Eponymous (I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, etc.) >Gillian Anderson once said that the Internet scares her to pieces >because of the obsessed fans And I don't blame her, considering that 1/4 of the traffic on the X-Files newsgroup seems to be arguing about whether she's fat or not. >I just got XTC's Skylarking for 9 bucks. Fairly good, nothing incredible >though. Go listen again. Or go buy English Settlement and The Big Express. >What was the single from this? Well, originally it was Grass, b/w Dear God (originally not on the album), but whem all the DJs started playing the B-side instead of the A-side, Virgin not only had to put out a Dear God single, but reissue the album with a song called "Mermaid Smiled" removed and Dear God in it's place. Josh Biplanes bombed with fluffy pillows /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 03:39:31 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Exo-palentologist!" First the, interesting part: Simon Koch! Simon Koch! >For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was >possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of >heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? I have this weird theory about Hall Of Heads. I think it may have= been inspired by an Oz movie. <> Oh, see, someone= remembers the last time this came up. Da Guava Boy tol' me: >Is Melissa Joan Hart (Clarissa) a TMBG fan, or is it just part of her >character? According to a thread like this on the usenet newsgroup (back when I= could stomach it), she is indeed a big They fan. >What if J&J were on the list, emailing us under a penname? Or even if they >were just lurkers. I know that the FAQ says otherwise, but how would the >writers of the FAQ know whether J&J read it or not for sure? No, they have lives. We've been over this. >I think you are overlooking one major/minor point here, gays are >not allowed to get married in the U.S. today, Bzzz! Wrong! Think Hawaii! Think eventual Supreme Court! Think major= triumph for human rights! Look in the paper. Don't blame me if the majority= of our congress members are nuts. (Just had to crow.) To Mr. Kelley Kent (cool name): Now, when I first read your post I thought you were extremely= thin-skinned, but now I understand why you acted as you did. Regardless,= you must accustom yourself to this sort of thing. Scientists have found= that the earth is largely comprised of idiots. (See below) And posting like= that is asking for flames; if you're gonna complain, you must tell the= whole story. Still, I'm not particularly upset with you and I don't think= anyone should be. I hope your future TMBG experiences are more favorable= than this one. Joseph Dowdy sed: >Here is one thing that I have not puzzled over much about TMBG until now.= If >these guys are straight, why would they put a song like "The Day" on their >first album?=20 Ummm... maybe because they thought it would be amusing? >Well, someone tell me why straight guys would put this song on their first >album if they didn't want people to think they were gay? They probably expected their fans not to care. Why should we?=20 Leo Bicknell was compelled to write: > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that >Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town?=20 When I was in Los Angeles for the concert last= month, I was staying with my friend, who goes to USC, en el barrio. The El= Rey theater wasn't in a terrible neighborhood, but it sure wasn't= Hollywood/La Jolla/Squirrel Hill. Since her bastardly ex-boyfriend wouldn't= give us a ride home, we had to take the bus. There was one transfer on the= way there, in front of the infamous McArthur Park. It was pretty deserted,= but we would see an occasional shadowy figure running by. Now, this is= maybe 12:15 AM, and we're sitting there, three nubile young women, when a= cop car pulls up. The cops proceed to tell us that we're in a terrible= neighborhood and what=20did we think we were doing? We were breaking= curfew, etc, the usual cop BS. They suggested that we take a cab, but we= had no money, so finally they decided to give us a ride home! Let me tell= you, the LAPD have some extremely uncomfortable back seats. They broke all= sorts of traffic laws on the way there and made fun of TMBG (witticim: "So,= did they make a little birdhouse in YOUR soul?"), but altogether it was a= good ending to a great day, and it made the ex-boyfriend feel purty dumb.= -Kilroy The nuttiest sound around! ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: i can hear you Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:27:20 -0500 > maybe you should send it to Them like that teacher did with particle man > and see if you can get on SF or something... :) I'm like halfway serious > here. btw-where was it again? That URL for those who missed it: http://www.udel.edu/spike/tmbg.html as soon as TPTB at the U of Delaware discover I'm using 2 megs of their "main server" space for a sound file (yes it really is a whopping two megs) I'll probably have to move it though... sucks... ;> I've always wanted to re-arrange Their music for funky instruments. This was my first chance to get musicians to play it. Maybe there will be more of this stuff in the future to come. A note about the recording. The flute was the closest to the tape recorder. It really drowns stuff out. -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:13:09 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" > >What is Superfueled Freaksicle (or something like that)? Is it a new album, > >a live album, a collection of B-sides, what? Someone help me. > > Superfueled will be a 2-CD B-sides collection (due this month, next month, > next spring, next summer, 1998, or 2061, depending on who you ask) which > will supposedly also contain some new songs and some live tracks. Other than > that, your guess is as good as mine. > Oh, so Superfueled Freaksicle is NOT the same thing as Then? Sorry...I catch on slowly. You see, I heard a few years back that They were going to relese another video compliation. The title of this (eventually never-produced) compilation was to be, you guessed it, Superfueled Freaksicle. That's why I'm so confused... And is there any definite proof that SF actually will be released? I mean, did Elektra announce that they would be doing it? Or is it some (very cruel) hoax from someone on alt.music.tmbg? Just wondering....pardon my naivete here. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Nothing else is permanent...." --Bob Mould ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:24:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: say hey! the day may pay richard bey, eh? Nay. In a message dated 96-12-07 14:15:50 EST, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: > This "The Day" thread is really pointless and tiring. I'm not even responding > to it. Thanks for not responding. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:47:56 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: TMBG: Eighty dolls yelling "Small girl, after all" At 10:13 PM 12/8/96 -0600, you wrote: >And is there any definite proof that SF actually will be released? Both Flans and Pat Dillett have acknowledged its existence (in the most recent Sonicnet chat, and e-mail, respectively.) /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 05:17:05 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Napalm death? WHEE!" Joshua Hall-Bachner cleared his throat and stated: >>It doesn't matter to me if they are gay or bi or pansexual for all I care. > ^^^^^^^^^ >Hmmmmm? I haven't heard *that* word before. Pan=covers everyhting, all-encompassing, like "pan-asian." Pansexual could mean that the person in question just likes to "do" EVERYTHING. > >>Yup, me too. I was 10 when I got it for christmas. But that's the only REM cd >>I have. I've always wanted AFTP, but never got around to buying it. > >Do so. Now. If Out of Time is a Hershey bar, Automatic For The People is >expensive imported Belgian chocolate. While we're at it, let me put in my bid for Murmur and Chronic Town. I can't think of anything chocolaty to compare them to, but they're marvelously pretty and layered in some places and just fun in others. >IMHO, Monster is a brilliant little piece of work. (?) And shaving it is >probably the most *normal* thing Stipey ever did to his hair. Oh, I don't know; I kind of liked the mustard. And then Evan Chakroff said: >The thread is dead. There is nothing more important to be said about it. Amen. I'm sorry I even send my other post now. >To add some content to this message: >Whoever said having FS has increased their liking of JH was right on >target. I think (if you didn't like JH before) that now you can see that >it was just a part of their musical evolution... I said that, and surprisingly enough, I think FS has grown on me too, although not nearly as much as JH did. It's sorta like Misc. T: a few really good ones, a few just mediocre ones. > All of they's (THEIR) equipment was stolen in Albany yesterday. The stage >manager was supposed to unload everything from the van for the night and >he didn't... The van and everything was gone the next morning.... Oh no.. that squareish new wave guitar... not to mention the puppet heads. :{ Evan Chakroff?? Evan Chakroff?? Evan Chakroff tra la la! >"I wouldn't say the Elton John isn't a good musician, but I guess I am >saying that Elton John isn't a good musician." Bleah! Go get Madman Across the Water. Elton produced a lot of silly pop songs, but he did other kinds of songs too. Plus, many of the songs you know as his are songs he didn't even write. He collaborated with Bernie Taupin for many of his more famous songs (don't ask me which ones), playing what Taupin wrote. If you're saying his technical skill isn't good, I'm not really qualified to say, but his songs are a bit more complicated than average for the radio. -Kilroy The nuttiest sound around! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 00:22:49 -0500 From: Pavlov Subject: Re: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Yea.. all of there equipment was stolen.. I just got back from the atlanta show, where they said all there stuff got ripped off... At 08:27 PM 12/8/96 +0005, you wrote: >> what happened with TMBG and Nashville. I made the trip up there, and the >> show was cancelled. Can anybody who is on this list explain to me what >> happened? WHy did they cancel their Dec. 8th show in Nashville? > >sadly, as I have heard, all Their equipment was stolen befor ethe >show... > Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) You can find me on irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net Atlanta.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov Atlanta.GA.US.Some.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Superchat.Org | "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 00:23:55 -0500 From: Pavlov Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: NASHVILLE? Should be just nashville show.. Atlanta show was Dec 8th, and nashville was Dec 7th, so seems to be ok... At 08:49 PM 12/8/96 -0500, you wrote: >> sadly, as I have heard, all Their equipment was stolen befor ethe >> show... > >So. How many shows are cancelled? Will this affect the Rochester show on >the 29th? This doesn't look too good... :< > >(oh and another correction. i spelled bassoon wrong. so sue me. it was a >typo. :> ) > >-- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 >-- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha >-- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." > Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) You can find me on irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net Atlanta.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov Atlanta.GA.US.Some.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Superchat.Org | "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:25:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Napalm death? WHEE!" In a message dated 96-12-09 00:22:15 EST, kilroy_@mindspring.com (Kilroy) writes: > Joshua Hall-Bachner cleared his throat and stated: > >>It doesn't matter to me if they are gay or bi or pansexual for all I care. > > ^^^^^^^^^ > >Hmmmmm? I haven't heard *that* word before. > Pan=covers everyhting, all-encompassing, like "pan-asian." Pansexual > could mean that the person in question just likes to "do" EVERYTHING. I seem to remember where I first heard the word (it was a part of my thread). I think it was from the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy (forget which TV episode--it was a radio show, then a TV show, then a book, then a comic book, then a...) by Douglas Adams (see Monty Python) when he wrote about the (gee, I hope this is correct) triple-breasted whore of Eroticon 6. I've forgotten her name, but I think she was referred to as "pansexual" or perhaps it was the Pangalactic Gargleblaster (aka the most powerful coctail in the universe). Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:34:22 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I can just barely hear you... In a message dated 96-12-08 20:30:35 EST, spike@udel.edu (Harlan Landes) writes: > Check out http://www.udel.edu/~spike/tmbg.html for a (poor) recording of a > (good and fun) performance of I Can Hear You ... arranged for piano, basson, > flute, radio static, and voice (sung into a paper cup). The recording was > made on a pretty poor machine so the quality is worse than most bootlegs. > But check it out anyway. I really loved the irony of the song being so difficult to hea ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:37:45 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "Exo-palentologist!" *LONG* In a message dated 96-12-08 22:47:53 EST, kilroy_@mindspring.com (Kilroy) writes: > When I was in Los Angeles for the concert last month, I was staying with my > friend, who goes to USC, en el barrio. The El Rey theater wasn't in a > terrible neighborhood, but it sure wasn't Hollywood/La Jolla/Squirrel Hill. > Since her bastardly ex-boyfriend wouldn't give us a ride home, we had to take > the bus. There was one transfer on the way there, in front of the infamous > McArthur Park. It was pretty deserted, but we would see an occasional shadowy > figure running by. Now, this is maybe 12:15 AM, and we're sitting there, > three nubile young women, when a cop car pulls up. The cops proceed to tell > us that we're in a terrible neighborhood and what did we think we were doing? > We were breaking curfew, etc, the usual cop BS. They suggested that we take a > cab, but we had no money, so finally they decided to give us a ride home! Let > me tell you, the LAPD have some extremely uncomfortable back seats. They > broke all sorts of traffic laws on the way there and made fun of TMBG ( > witticim: "So, did they make a little birdhouse in YOUR soul?"), but > altogether it was a good ending to a great day, and it made the ex-boyfriend > feel purty dumb. Those cops probably saved your life (or saved you from something worse). This is the place where in the middle of the afternoon people get killed on a regularly basis. It happened one block away from a television shoot one time. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:51:10 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? 2 relevant Q's Didn't Nirvana perform in skirts, or at least Cobai? Didn't Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye die particularly sad deaths, the former by his own hand, the latter shot to death by his father? just wondering. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:06:12 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: the movie >KdsInThHal@aol.com (~sarah) wrote: >>TMBG: The Movie. (LOL!) >>STARRING: >> >>Dan AKROYD as John FLANSBURGH! >>Lyle LOVETT as John LINNELL! I would have picked James Spader. Wouldn't he make a good Linnell? What would the plot to this movie be? Re: Linnell in love-- A gay friend of mine insists that Linnell is gay. 'Course, he also says that Flans is gay (not even the news of Flans's marriage seemed to convince him otherwise), so we have to take this with a grain of salt. >My friend Tina and I got to the venue real early so we heard TMBG and >Cub soundchecks. Now how did you manage that? Were you back by the stage door, or did the bouncers take pity on you and let you in to see them, or what? And can I have a copy? I really want to hear SenSurround live. >> since he had mentioned going to Walgreen's. At this point in time, >> I was robbed. Now this wasn't a Scorcese film or anything - I was > Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that >Concert venues seem to be in sleezy parts of town? Yes! I had the same reaction when I was at the Warfield (San Francisco) show. The Warfield is Sixth and Market, which means that it's in the CRAPPY part of SF. I dragged a friend of mine along because I am a not-particularly-strong woman, and I am not crazy enough to be in the Market Street area alone at night. (FWIW, he came to the concert as a moderate They-fan and left as a confirmed Gianthead.) Oh, and Kelley Kent-- I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience. The crowd at the concert I went to was well-behaved and contained a few gems of human niceness. It was gratifying to see so many people wearing TMBG shirts, and I struck up a few great conversations with strangers/fans. Some were dressed up--one was in an angel costume, in a fruitless attempt to get Them to play She's An Angel--and no one was made fun of in any way that I could see. I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience, pal... maybe you could give it another shot? O yeah-- Friday was my roommate's Disco Baby Shower, and I seized the opportunity to get lots of TMBG on the playlist. Unfortunately this dj wasn't as THey-friendly as the last one, and I only got three: Till My Head Falls Off (a few people improvised a great line dance to this), Birdhouse, and SenSurround. Gotta scoot, finals and all, ya know. --nicole the wonder nerd who would be singing "It's not my birthday", except that it is! I'm 19! *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:07:28 -0600 From: mjs087@nwu.edu (Matthew Springer) Subject: TMBG: Encores and Set Lists Hey all-- I just wanted to add an echo to the post concering the atrocity of the expected and now even planned encores. That's so LAME. It's bad enough that the ritual of a crowd stupidly screaming its head off only to have the band appear again EVERY TIME has become trite. But to even PLAN the songs to be performed in encore before the show starts...that's really shitty. I guess it all comes down to the idea of expected encores, and further back to the idea of bands assuming their sets will be enthusiastically recieved. It's like so few bands feel like they have to EARN the applause they get at concerts anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think TMBG earns their applause every night; they put on a great show. But it does bother me a bit that their encores are usually planned out. I'd love to see them huddle together on the stage in the first encore, then whip out "Dead" or "Santa's Beard" or something really fun and unexpected as a true reward to the crowd, which is what encores are supposed to be, instead of always doing the same songs. I guess "They Got Lost" is a good show-ender, but I'd still like to hear something fast to leave with. I don't know. In tandem with this issue is the fact that based on the set lists I've been seeing from this tour, it doesn't seem like TMBG vary their set lists much from night to night. The order changes, but the songs stay the same. That also bothers me, especially since every song on FS just doesn't seem to be a live winner ("pet Name," "Your Own Worst Enemy," maybe even "Exquisite Dead Guy" in my humble opinion) and they have such a huge and varied back catalogue. Yet I don't think they've reached the point where they should feel so sick of the songs they do perform. Let's face it, they're not David Bowie or the Rolling Stones or something. Does this bother anyone else out there? matt in evanston !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us Oh heaven preserve us because they don't deserve us" --Elvis Costello, ".....And In Every Home" Matthew Springer mjs087@nwu.edu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 01:25:42 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: [Fwd: FW: Donation of books (fwd)] This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------45F367D53C48 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sorry guys.. I know you hate this kind of thing.. but this is for a really good cause!!! > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:17:04 -0600 (CST) > From: "Heather J. Ladner" > To: kemarks@mail.pittstate.edu, cjwood@mail.pittstate.edu, > Keith Lea , tschafer@prysm.net, > douallen@mvleadvocate.com, lcsalaza@mail.pittstate.edu, > rdmoore@mail.pittstate.edu > Subject: FW: Donation of books (fwd) > > > > > PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO AS MANY POSSIBLE PEOPLE AS YOU CAN :) > > ************************************************************ > > > > > >Houghton Mifflin Interactive is sponsoring the Polar Bear Express Share > > >the Spirit Campaign. For every 25 e-mail messages they receive, HMI > will > > >donate a copy of The Polar Bear Express or another Children's book to a > > >children's Hospital. The goal this year is to receive 50,000 messages, > > >and thereby give away 2,000 books. Send an e-mail to: share@hmco.com > and > > >tell your pals to do the same. Have a Happy Holiday. > > > > This is any easy way to help out this Christmas. > > -Bridget =-) --------------45F367D53C48 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Return-Path: cjwood@mail.pittstate.edu Received: from cliff.ou.edu (cliff.backbone.ou.edu [129.15.2.9]) by pop1.backbone.ou.edu (8.7.6/8.7.3) with SMTP id WAA02738; Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:48:09 -0600 (CST) Received: from mail.pittstate.edu by cliff.ou.edu; Sun, 8 Dec 96 22:47:37 -0600 Received: from localhost by mail.pittstate.edu (AIX 3.2/UCB 5.64/4.03) id AA54934; Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:44:18 -0600 Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:44:18 -0600 (CST) X-UIDL: 850111870.015 From: "Carolyn J. Wood" To: Amy Kane Cc: Brian Meyer , "Bryan T. Williams" , "Leslie C. Salazar" , Mendy Thomas , Patricia Pierce , "Tana J. Eagon" , Prue Elizabeth Smith , Stuart Perez , christy_ellis@mail.okbu.edu, Charles Sexson , flemifp5@wfu.edu, grafton_potter@baylor.edu, grimaldi@creighton.edu, gyouell@eagle.cc.ukans.edu, Keri Jenkins , Lisa.A.Nemcok-1@ou.edu, mskoller@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu, pecauts@acc.jbu.edu, Susan Sikes , Sinhsack.Norinh-1@ou.edu, thejrc@ou.edu, Wendy Dorman , Heather Tinkler , Joseph Burdick <103257.261@CompuServe.COM>, Joyce Tai Subject: FW: Donation of books (fwd) Message-Id: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Status: U X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 *Some people have their first dollar. The person who is really rich is the one who still has his first friend. **Goals are dreams with a time limit. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:17:04 -0600 (CST) From: "Heather J. Ladner" To: kemarks@mail.pittstate.edu, cjwood@mail.pittstate.edu, Keith Lea , tschafer@prysm.net, douallen@mvleadvocate.com, lcsalaza@mail.pittstate.edu, rdmoore@mail.pittstate.edu Subject: FW: Donation of books (fwd) > > PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO AS MANY POSSIBLE PEOPLE AS YOU CAN :) > ************************************************************ > > > >Houghton Mifflin Interactive is sponsoring the Polar Bear Express Share > >the Spirit Campaign. For every 25 e-mail messages they receive, HMI will > >donate a copy of The Polar Bear Express or another Children's book to a > >children's Hospital. The goal this year is to receive 50,000 messages, > >and thereby give away 2,000 books. Send an e-mail to: share@hmco.com and > >tell your pals to do the same. Have a Happy Holiday. > > This is any easy way to help out this Christmas. > -Bridget =-) --------------45F367D53C48-- ------------------------------ From: Raldus@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 01:32:58 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Atlanta show WOW....you guys are right TMBG kicks much butt. I mean I've liked them for a while, but I had never seen them live. They sound so good live. It was incredible. I was surprised that they played some of the stuff they did....like Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, and Staying Alive (that one really threw me for a loop.) Anyway, if I forgot to mention itThey were INCREDIBLE. I can't wait 'till next time. Brad ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-337 ******************************