Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-34 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 34 Saturday, 3 February 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Several More Things Persephone, Moira, and Alice The naming of children Mono Puff on Dial-A-Song (Ben's) Don't Let's Start This Again (was Renaming Persephone) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 Re: alice/moira Re: videos... Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok I know it's been a while but I haven't had many changes until now but here it is again... 1)Fran-aka-The Vonnegut Vassal-Plays Cello and sings. From Ithaca, NY during school and near Lancaster, PA over breaks... 2)Jenny-aka-She-ra Princess of Power-Sorta plays piano, sings. From Texas... 3)Kerry Leanne Smith-Plays Trombone and most other low brass instruments. >From North Carolina E-mail "klsmith2@eos.ncsu.edu"... 4)Laura Kathleen Melvin-Plays Flute and Irish Whistle. From Wisconsin.. 5)Amie Longenbaugh-Plays viola/violin, mallets, tympani. From Arlington Texas... 6)Sara Smith-aka-Copy shop clerk-Plays piano, a little flute, and kazoo. >From Bloomington, Indiana... 7)Karen Sandler-Plays TenorSax, and Bass Clarinet. From Nyc(I think) 8)Sloan Poe-aka-Mr. Klaw-Plays Bari-Sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 9)Alex Dresko-aka-Rabid Ears-Plays Tenor sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 10)Katrina Hockin-Plays piano. From Chicago. 11)Paul-aka-The Rentals-Plays guitar, violin, sings. From Texas... 12)Jamie Jim Joe Junior-Plays guitar. From Hazleton, Pennsylvania.... 13)Lady J-Plays piano, clarinet, recorder, sings. From Indiana... 14)Jeanette Frost-aka-Frosty the Supervisor-Plays Accordian, Clarinet, and a little bass guitar. From Iselin NJ.... 15)Paul Leonard-Plays violin and guitar soon. From Arlington, Texas.... 16)Jonathan Chaffer-Plays Trombone, Piano, Vocals. From Mt. Pleasant, Michigan... 17)Tara Patenaude-Plays kazoo sings. From Andover, Ma during breaks. From Collegeville, Pa during school... 18)Rabid Child-Plays large cymbals, triangle. From Jackson, WY.... 19)Michael C. Lebovitz-aka-Lebo-Plays Bass guitar, Piano, and sings. From Malvern, PA... 20)Mike Orsega-Has 8 years of experience of mimicing their voices. From Athens, Georgia... 21)Anne E. Heidemann-Plays French Horn, piano, and trumpet sorta From Mt Pleasant Michigan... 22)Joe Puscas-aka-The guy who hit you in the eye-Plays Bass. From DeKalb Illonois.... 23)Daniel-Sings lead vocals and backup. From unknown... 24)Liam Singer-Plays piano and accordian. From Portland OR.... 25)Sean Kinlin-Plays clarinet and bass clarinet. From Ann Arbor , MI... 26)Jenn-aka-a girl with a crown and a scepter-Plays the piano. From somewhere near Philly... 27)David Vogelgesang-aka-Ziggy-Plays rhythm/lead guitar, piano, trumpet, french horn, and some harmonica. From Cincinnati, Ohio.... 28)John Voegtlin-aka-Mr John V-Plays Bass, Percussion of all kinds, and Saxophone. From Dudley Massachusettes.E-mail at "MrJohnV@aol.com"... 29)Aaron Reifler-Plays French Horn and some pianow. From Grand Rapids, Mi. e-mail=reiflera@river.it.gvsu.edu -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 06:51:42 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Several More Things Could someone just tell me what the videos are? (Not what a video is--I'm not that stupid..;) I'm considering buying the video from Barnes and Noble, who will probably rip me off, but, alas, the triangle is not blessed with Tower's presence... The boat guys on Flood: Jordan and Odin. The Snowman on the Donut Let's Start Single: Bob Flannagan (ask me about this one...) The Guy on the WDTSS Single: (God of Speaking...can't remember who it is) Oh, and is Super Fueled Freaksicle going to have *all* the B-Sides that are post Misc. T? (and any more weird Josh Fried mixes? ;) I'm wondering if I should splurge and buy the singles I don't have (which is most of them...) But, if anyone has any singles besides Back to Skull and Dnt Let's Start, I'll be glad to mail you a tape! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 96 08:54:02 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Persephone, Moira, and Alice Now, I feel I must answer that very concerned list member that felt that it was a horrible thing to name the people on the TMBG album covers. Now, these people shouldn't be named their names in real life, because to us they are _characters_. Like Pearl, for instance. Just because the Johns named her, do you think it is fine to call her Pearl...while the chances of her original name having been Pearl are remote at best. We would like to have generally simple, beautiful names to call them. I see nothing at all wrong with this. These are characters to us, and a major part of what They Might Be Giants are today. If they are going to put interesting kids on their album covers, we should be allowed to respect and honor them as characters with names. Persephone is a wonderful name. Someone objected to it because of the connotations of death that go along with it. Now that is a silly, silly objection, because our good old friends, John and John are obsessed with death, yes, obsessed with it. They have only two major themes present throughout their albums...death and heads(or skulls). Apollo 18 happens to be the most morbid of all of their albums, but they bring up the concept of death in a very large number of their songs. I really don't see Persephone with any other name...it just fits her so very very well...so dark and mysterious, yet stark and beautiful. It is so perfect. Now, the Back to Skull girl is interesting. I am actually liking Moira. Pronounced Mwah-ra is my favorite, but the name is a beautiful one too. It is smooth, elegant, and even seems a bit morbid itself. The JHG is already named Persephone...it's been voted on and has overcome all opposition. Name the BTSG Moira...she deserves it, doesn't she? I think Alice is best saved until a girl can be found that better fits it. Oh, I was thinking...instead of naming every possible thing on every TMBG album, we could merely name all of the JH kids. Any thoughts? Long live Persephone, goddess of all things They! Nathan Todd (ntodd@emba.uvm.edu) Student, University of Vermont *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* "[Humans] never know anything. They don't have enough years in their little lives to come to an understanding of anything at all. And yet they think they understand. From earliest childhood, they delude themselves into thinking they comprehend the world, while all that's really going on is that they've got some primitive assumptions and prejudices. As they get older they learn a more elevated vocabulary in which to express their mindless pseudo-knowledge and bully other people into accepting their prejudices as if they were truth, but it all amounts to the same thing. Individually, human beings are all dolts." -From Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:46:55 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: The naming of children Ok, if Bts girl can't be Alice, can the little girl in the plaid skirt with the rest of the JH kids be Alice? Also, the little boy on the far right has GOT to be a Davey. :) (He looks like my brother, who is Dave, but since the boy is little, it's gotta be davey!) I'm so baffled. I hope I don't have this kind of problem naming my kids...... Luv to the planet, 'Nette and Mortimer the Squid ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "Never let a man get the upper hand - there's no telling where he might put it." - Piers Anthony, _Man from Mundania_ *-------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:23:01 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Mono Puff on Dial-A-Song (Ben's) Ben or Been here. I finally got my Monster Pack from the Hello club. Momma-Mia! THIRTY CD's in one package is a metric buttload, and I still haven't listened to all the music, but I've put the funny theater song by Flanny's Mono Puff, "Dr. Kildare," on Ben's Dial-A-Song. Always happy to oblige! (614) 823-2583 If you're in the theater, you must hear this song. Love is a four-letter word, like "Miss" and "Joni" ... JUST KIDDING!!!!! Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:09:52 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Don't Let's Start This Again (was Renaming Persephone) C'mon, can't we let this thread die? I'm really getting sick of it. Call her what you want. It's getting even worse than the Blue -vs- Pink debate. I will still call her "The Freaky-Looking girl on the John Henry cover." Sorry to be so anal about it, but it's just getting very stale. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 16:45:56 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 > > As of right now, these are the results of the voting: > > > kk > Votes for what? (I musta missed it...) You know, the votes for most annoying TMBG list user. Right now that one-liner Joe guy is in first, and I think I'm second on the list or something. Personally, I think maybe all of those I-think-i-know-all-there-is-to-know-about-tmbg types deserve a flame or two. Longines Symphonette...... > >everyone here knows this, but Longines Symphonette means elevator > >music. > The Longines Symphonette is a wristwatch. I presume its story > is infinite as > a) the time ticking away on this watch > b) the durability of this watch. (I don't remeber too much > about this specific timepiece. Maybe someone who knows > exact details can chime in.) ok, here's something I never ever understood. whether it be a wristwatch or a classical music compilation or elevator music, someone who is SURE of themsleves please enlighten me as to what it is. I, silly me, always just figured it was some Symphony without any rests in the music. ya know, all notes, no rests. I of corse, had absolutley no basis for this, and if you asked me who wrote it, I would have said "George Pataki" > AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HOW COULD YOU WANT TO NAME HER ALICE? THAT'S A HORRID NAME! > I think we should name her Cutems (Cute 'ems). of all the ideas that I've heard on this beaten-to-death subject, this one is probably the ....uhh.... (I must be politically correct) ..least good. We might-as-well name her Lolita. O ya, and about what Lady J said about "no more responses just to agree with someone" and limiting your "Amen sista's!" and one-liners. -> I totally agree. Amen Sista! Preachon! -if it weren't for dissapointment, I would have no appointment at all SOn of gOD(paul) ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: alice/moira Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:33:30 -0800 (PST) > > hello > > well, if you want to propose a name like moira, one must say how it is > > to be pronounced. to me, there are two options, which are distinct and > > effect whether i like the name or not: > > > > mwah-ra > > moy-ra > Hello Anne: > There is a girl in my class with this name and I think she pronounces it > Mor-rah > I think, > Matt I would say MOY-RA. I don't know. (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: videos... Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:34:37 -0800 (PST) > > I saw someone ask if tmbg videos are availible, and in fact they are... I > found a collection on laser disk which includes ...puppethead, purple > toupe, hotel dective, they'll need a crane, ana ng, and don't let's > start... I believe it's available through the fan club too, on a regular > vcr tape form.... > That's the Misc T. Video!!! (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 18:17:20 -0600 (CST) From: The Lizard Lounge Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 > From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) > Subject: Re: WDTSS > Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 23:59:31 -0800 (PST) > > > > ok, so here's what i was wondering. on the single for the guitar there's > ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ > ^^^ ^^^^^^ > Anyone willing to sell me this? (the guitar single)... someone GAVE me his guitar single because he never listened to it...way coolness. amie _________________ .sig coming soon. _________________ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-34 *****************************