Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-340 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 340 Thursday, 12 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! TMBG: can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding TMBG: ...cookie in 1 hand... TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "No Tolls!" Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Re: TMBG: Happiness bleed from every street corner... Re: TMBG: #'s Re: TMBG: #'s re: TMBG: #'s TMBG: Re: Marvin Gaye TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! TMBG: Re: Gay marriages and ObTMBG Re: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! TMBG: TMBG Boston 12/12 TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Re: TMBG: ...cookie in 1 hand... TMBG: New Haven and Poughkeepsie Re: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Re: TMBG: #'s Re: TMBG: posters TMBG: NYE Re: TMBG: NYE TMBG: Pre-TMBG's Re: TMBG: #'s Re: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! TMBG: getting an earful at a TMBG concert RE: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! (fwd) TMBG: SF Warfield set list request Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Re: TMBG: Equipment, Atlanta, Marriages, #'s, Re: TMBG: New Haven and Poughkeepsie Re: TMBG: Pre-TMBG's TMBG: Cover Compilation Re: TMBG: getting an earful at a TMBG concert Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! TMBG: Chester and Lyrics TMBG: #'s TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single Re:TMBG:What TMBG album got you hooked? TMBG: Re: Hall of Heads + B5 TMBG: THe Movie TMBG: TMBG poster!! Re: TMBG: Re: Hall of Heads + B5 Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? TMBG: So, whats the water street music hall like?? TMBG: Faq error Re: TMBG: Faq error TMBG: got a devil's haircut in my mind TMBG: tmbg interview TMBG: many responses Re: TMBG: #'s TMBG: Cheap sex. Re: TMBG: TMBG poster!! Re: TMBG: many responses Re: TMBG: Cheap sex. TMBG: Re: So I rolled down the window and said "Book This!" RE: TMBG: Cheap sex. TMBG: DJ's TMBG: Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba... TMBG:Secret Song TMBG: Re: earplugs TMBG: Fans' Fingertips TMBG: Time won't find the lost, it'll sweep up out skeleton bones... TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! TMBG: #'s Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:05:31 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! Hi TMBGers! As you already know, TMBG's NYE show at the Hard Rock in Chicago was cancelled, but I found out where They *will* be!!!!!!!!!! (drum roll please!) TMBG is going to be ringing in the New Year at Madison Square Gardens in New York City!!!!!!! Supposedly They will be opening for Blues Traveler (or someone along those lines, but I'm pretty sure it's BTraveler). Now, I am of the firm belief that TMBG should not be opening for *anyone*, but I'll allow it just this once if it means I'll get to see Them on NYE! =) Have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://ocelot.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:26:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding In a message dated 96-12-10 14:04:32 EST, kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu (Aaron Kohlbeck) writes: > Anyway, I was having this really weird thought while I was trying to figure > out how to do my next program for class: > > Freak flag (def. from old song that I can't remember but people have > discussed > here before) - someone's hair (the long hair being the freak flag) > > TMBG (HCISLAG) - "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher" > > Now, if someone's freak flag is their hair, does this mean that the John's > really have a desire to return to the decadent age of the 80's and spike > their hair? Get it really long and have a huge mass of hair just sticking > straight up from their heads (ala Kid of Kid n' Play?) Just a thought. My .02---I think it means "I want to draw lots of attention by being different"...and never be alooooooone. Singing like a girl would certainly do that quite well if you are a guy. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:26:51 -0500 Subject: TMBG: ...cookie in 1 hand... In a message dated 96-12-10 20:00:53 EST, ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) writes: > First of all, gay marriages: Any two consenting adults should have the > right to marry. Any law prohibiting this is a bad one. Marriage is a religious ceremony and it is also a legally binding contract. While I can certainly agree that two people of the same sex should have the right to have the same legal priveleges of marriage, the very act of consummating a homosexual marriage is a sin in a religious context (not all church's would agree, but a vast majority would). I'm not religious (in fact, I follow an Eastern belief), but please don't be so insensitive to the people out there (which there are a vast majority) who want to protect a religious institution. Don't they have the right? Just because you grew up in a more liberal generation doesn't mean you can simply say, "Well, piss on your religious ceremony. Twenty years from now, we will want to marry our pets and there is nothing you can do about it. Let's make bestiality legal!!" This country was founded by people who would find the things we do today to be extremely evil as well as fascinating. What would James K. Polk say about Madonna? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:48:59 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "No Tolls!" Yet another TMBG #: Never to part since the day we met out on Interstate 91 -The End Of The Tour Craig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 05:15:38 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! > I am talking to my dad right now. Okay, done. He seems fine about me > going to the rochester show. But, this sounds funny, he wants me to wear > earplugs?! Well, I may come off sounding like a parent type here, but I agree! Wear earplugs. The shows are louder than you think, and you're not going to mis anything with earplugs in. In fact, I wish I'd had some at the last concert I was at -- I ended up *right* in front of the speakers, and my ears rang for about 24 hours. Now, obviously, if you only go to one show every once in a while, you're not going to kill your hearing right away, but it never hurts to protect yourself. Ok, I'll stop preaching now :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org I live in a world of my own, but visitors are always welcome. -- Ashleigh Brilliant ------------------------------ Date: 11 Dec 1996 13:08:15 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Happiness bleed from every street corner... > > I already knew that, but it gave me a thought: > > Two different kinds of musicians (people) getting along, and the world > became a better place. Agree, disagree (most likely) then mail me and > tell me I'm an idiot. > > Jeremy Mathews > Four words: XTC versus Adam Ant -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: 11 Dec 1996 13:06:06 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s Lawrence P Solomon wrote in article > Saying twenty thousand million is meant to be an exaggeration. Almost > everyone says something like that at one point or another just because > it's so far out..... > > 1000 eyes are staring; they pull away her earplugs > 10000 years of unerasable acts > they count the arms, the legs, the heads and then divide by 5 > > that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else.... > Bored tonight, Lawrence????? Very well done. "Martin X was mad when they outlawed bell bottoms Ten years later they were sharing the same cell I shouted out 'free the expo '67'............" -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: 11 Dec 1996 13:16:34 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s > > that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else.... > ooh, oooh, pick me Just remembered, interstate 91, and the fare went up to 100 dollars. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:51:28 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: re: TMBG: #'s Some More.. 1 More Parade 10,000 ears need only 1 command 2 years ago their guns were only toys 25 O'Clock =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Marvin Gaye Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 8:54:54 EDT From: John Pletikapich >I talkedto my english teacher who is a music expert.he said that marvin Gay >was that guy who always says,"let's get it on!".And phil ochs was some folk >musician.You they are the exact opposite types of music, so it is just the >irony of them getting married. I don't know. While it is true that one of Marvin Gaye's biggest hits was "Let's Get it On", he was well know for songs concerning social problems and ecological blight (e.g., "What's Going On?" and "Mercy Me"). I think that this side of his music is probably what "The Day" is considering. So that would make them (Gaye and Ochs) more similar than different. To say Gaye always says "Let's get it on" is like saying TMBG always says "Particle Man". What sense does that make? -- john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:06:04 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! >From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) > I am talking to my dad right now. Okay, done. He seems fine about me >going to the rochester show. But, this sounds funny, he wants me to wear >earplugs?! He is a musician and health nut, and thinks it'll damage your >hearing. Anyway, i am trying to convince to let me go /w out >But my question i was trying to ask was, are the concerts very loud? do your >ears ring for hours afterwards? > Wyatt, who head probably caved in, he is so happy. I can't wait till >the 29th! but i still need tickets. I was at the Roseland show and stood directly in-front of/under the right-side speakers and there was no problem. Without wanting to preach, if your not sure about this, bring them. Check out the sound when you get there if you feel you need them, put them in. If you don't then put them in your pocket and don't tell your dad until your 35 years old. ;) I saw The Cars 10 years ago and was 10 yards from the speakers and I don't think my hearing has been the same since. My brother-in-law went with us to see Joe Jackson about 5 years ago. We stood right in front of Graham with our elbows on the stage. He ears were ringing for days afterward and feels he must have done some permanent damage to them. I think it all depends on the quality of the equipment and how well the guy at the mixing board knows his stuff. The sound has always been very good at the TMBG shows I have seen, so you should be ok. Well, gotta go. Have fun and don't forget to post your experiences/thoughts on the show. Erik TMBG Number Contribution: "Back in just 5 minutes" ------------------------------ From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:12:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Gay marriages and ObTMBG Det. Dave here... I've saved the TMBG content for the end of this message. Think of it as dessert. Now for the yucky vegetables.... I'm not going to quote previous messages, I'm too lazy :) Re: Gay Marraiges You all are missing a major point. The granting of a certificate of marriage confers legal rights and priveleges, ie. joint filing of income taxes, death benefits for surviving spouses, family eligibility for health insurance and a whole host of others. While there are some gay couples who are interested in making sure the whole world knows they are "married" most are more concerned with the rights and privledges they are denied. There are a whole host of political forces who do not want ot see gay marraiges legalixed for economic reasons (insurance companies, pension funds, and state tax agencies to name a few) They sit by quietly and let the religious right fight this battle, allowing it to be framed as a moral issue and not an economic one. The real uproar is that if gay marraiges are legal in Hawaii, what happens when a couple who is married there moves to the mainland? Would they still be eligible for the rights and privlidges married copules are due? Constitutionally, the other states would have to accept their marraige and then gay residents of that state would demand that their marriages be accepted also. All right, now that you've cleaned your plate... All my CDs were stolen (over 300) from my house in a burglary last year, and I finally got around to replacing Flood. I had a tape of it, but replaced my tape deck in my car with a CD player. Flood is an awesome CD. I first started listening to Them right before Flood came out, but Flood was what made me the fan that I am today. How did I find out about Them? Well, I read an article in Rolling Stone and thought," Hey, this sounds like a neat band." Soon thereafter, I went to a Superbowl party at a friend of one of my roommates. The host had a basement FULL of CDs (over 10,000!!!) He was some rich lawyer who like to collect them. He said I could borrow a few, so I grabbed Pink and Lincoln. I listened to them for a week and had to give them back. Then I went to the store bought them. But it was Flood that really got me going. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:55:36 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! >Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 03:05:31 -0400 (EDT) >From: CORT >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! > >Hi TMBGers! As you already know, TMBG's NYE show at the Hard Rock in >Chicago was cancelled, but I found out where They *will* be!!!!!!!!!! >(drum roll please!) TMBG is going to be ringing in the New Year at >Madison Square Gardens in New York City!!!!!!! Supposedly They will >be opening for Blues Traveler (or someone along those lines, but I'm >pretty sure it's BTraveler). Now, I am of the firm belief that TMBG >should not be opening for *anyone*, but I'll allow it just this once >if it means I'll get to see Them on NYE! =) Have a They day! sun and smiles >cortney > DANG DANG DANG DANG Why don't someone TELL me these things. I just booked tickets for the BNL show on NYE at Roseland (Ticketbastard=non-refundable). Good time for sure eh? But was holding out for, and would have MUCH rather seen our boys. Are you sure about this? (realizing that this is now the third different TMBG NYE show I've heard about). KOK ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:59:46 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Boston 12/12 Anyone going to the Boston show? If so, which show? (Two shows: 6:30 and 10:10) I'll prolly be at the early show. The Paradise is a pretty good venue. Seen them there a couple times. Minimal moshing and I don't think I've EVER seen a single croud surfer there. The place is two small for that, they'd no doubt end up being tossed behind a bar. KOK ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 10:22 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! I just wanted to put my two cents in here. I went to a lot of loud, metal-type concerts when I was in my teens, and I never wore earplugs. Now I have some mid-range hearing loss and a constant ringing in my ears that will last me the rest of my life. I always take cotton balls to concerts now -- rip one in half and pack some in each ear. It doesn't muffle the sound too much, just kind of cuts the levels down to more manageable ranges. Have a good time at the concert!! -j.l. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:30:38 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: ...cookie in 1 hand... On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 FamousName@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-12-10 20:00:53 EST, ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan > Todd) writes: > > > First of all, gay marriages: Any two consenting adults should have the > > right to marry. Any law prohibiting this is a bad one. > > Marriage is a religious ceremony and it is also a legally binding contract. > the very act of > consummating a homosexual marriage is a sin in a religious context (not all > church's would agree, but a vast majority would). > who > want to protect a religious institution. Don't they have the right? To set a little streight, thanks Joseph for the defense, I appreiate it :) There is this side to it too (the religious). On the most part I was looking at the social contract involved, simply because not all religions would agree. > Just because you grew up in a more liberal generation doesn't mean you can > simply say, "Well, piss on your religious ceremony..." ...or piss on legislation handed down from our big bother...which is the actual point I was tying to make, not really specific to gay mariages, but to defend the broader issue of governmental legislation that people nowadays seem to see as all bad... SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:22:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: New Haven and Poughkeepsie Hello, all. As of the news I heard Monday night, shows in New Haven (tonight) and in Poughkeepsie (12/15, Sunday) had been cancelled. If you were planning on going to either of these shows, I would _highly_ recommend that you call ahead. The Boston and Pittsburgh and Granville shows (12/12,13,14) will be going on, as scheduled. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:32:29 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! I'm also going to stand in support of earplug use, though I would recommend getting actual foam earplugs. They're not too expensive and you'll be really happy for it. (Most clubs I've been to sell them at the bar for a dollar.) While I didn't spend my teen years going to metal shows, I did and still do go to punk shows... different music, same decibel issues. While TMBG is not as loud as most shows I go to, I still bring earplugs. I haven't suffered any permanent hearing loss, but my friends without earplugs, well, they've paid the price. Also, when you've gone to a show and have worn earplugs, you can laugh at all the people who didn't and who, after the show, try to carry on a conversation. They don't know how loud they're talking, so have some fun with them! Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:36:39 EST Don't forget (unless you haven't): I shouted out "Free the Expo '67!" java.man ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: posters Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:35:26 -0500 (EST) > On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Matthew James wrote: > ** I have never seen a teacher being *sold* at a concert but I have seen > ** them hanging up at many concerts in which you can take them. I have > ** only been able to grab one, a John Henry cover one, and I almost got one > ** at E-town but missed out. Heheh, I dunno how that came out to be teacher instead of poster, but somehow it did! hehehe oops! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: NYE Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:43:17 -0500 (EST) Hmm I would like to go up to NYC to see TMBG at Madison Square Gardens, that will put quite a perspective on things being in a huge stadium, Them opening, I'll get that Hootie kind of experience, I can't say I'll stick around for BT though. Probably go off to Moxy. Anyone know if this is a ticketmaster event? Or prices? Gay marriage: Joseph Dowdy, don't you know many people get married in court houses by a justice of the peace and not by a minister/priest/whoever of a religious sect? Marriage is a legal act, but it is not necessarily a religious one. That's why they go to the courthouse to get married. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: treegirl@psu.edu Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:18:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: NYE >Hmm I would like to go up to NYC to see TMBG at Madison Square Gardens, >that will put quite a perspective on things being in a huge stadium, >Them opening, I'll get that Hootie kind of experience, I can't say I'll >stick around for BT though. Probably go off to Moxy. Anyone know if >this is a ticketmaster event? Or prices? Wow. TMBG, Moxy, and just being in NYC on New Year's Eve... I think I'd probably die from sheer bliss. I couldn't find anything on Moxy tickets though...they're not listed at www.ticketmaster.com, and so I'm at a loss. TG ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:51:03 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Pre-TMBG's >My dad listened to Metal Detector and >said it was like music he listened to when he was young :| I don't >quite know what to make of that. Oh well. Never heard Young Marble Giants? Every time I - hmm - _spume_ about TMBG to one of my friends, he mentions Young Marble Giants... Meaning something like "TMBG is just a poor YMG rip-off" or something... Haven't yet heard YMG. He has loaned the only record of the Young Marble Giants he has to a person, who never remembers to return it. <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:31:40 -0500 (EST) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s In the morning sun, round 7 o'clock For every 1 with dollar signs in his eyes there must be 100's Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "These seconds when I'm shaking leave me | Jason Riek shuddering for days" -Counting Crows | Carnegie Mellon University _____________________________________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu Seek the Ultimate Plaid! | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: *NEW* definite news on TMBG's NYE show! Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:49:28 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of King of Knowledge: >Why don't someone TELL me these things. I just booked tickets for the >BNL show on NYE at Roseland (Ticketbastard=non-refundable). Good time >for sure eh? But was holding out for, and would have MUCH rather seen >our boys. Are you sure about this? (realizing that this is now the >third different TMBG NYE show I've heard about). Given the choice between Them and BNL, I'd probably choose the later, as they tend to be wackier and crowd-involved at concerts than TMBG. Go, and be happy. (Unless you've seen BNL before and not They.) -CB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:59:06 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: getting an earful at a TMBG concert >>Then, my friends, join WORLD CONQUEST '97!!! > > Is this anything like the Oklahoma Flesh Fest 1996? If it is, >count me in! (I count 2-3 people who have even a vague idea what I'm >talking about ;) ... Yes! FleshFest '96! I remember! Ha ha! *sigh* A shame that never went anywhere... :) >I have never seen a teacher being *sold* at a concert I don't want to know... I don't want to know... >But, this sounds funny, he wants me to wear >earplugs?! He is a musician and health nut, and thinks it'll damage your >hearing. Anyway, i am trying to convince to let me go /w out. So i am >asking, in most they concerts, are they set up REALLY loud? i didn't think >so? please respond. oh, he called again, appearently my stepmom heard them a >long time ago in a club and said they were _Really good_ and not to loud. >But my question i was trying to ask was, are the concerts very loud? do your >ears ring for hours afterwards? I had the same worry before my first TMBG show, because I have the World's Most Sensitive Hearing. (I can hear the high-pitched whistles from tv sets and monitors, and I never listen to my Walkman with the volume on more than 2 because it causes me pain.) In fact, I came to the Warfield toting a pair of earplugs. And I wore them for cub. But I took them off for TMBG, and, you know, it really wasn't that bad. The loudness is part of the experience. My traveling companion said that They were much less loud than some other bands he'd seen. I could hear normally again 15 minutes after the show. To appease your parents, come with a pair of earplugs secreted in a pocket. Tell the parents that you'll wear them if it gets too loud. Then simply wear them (or not) as you see fit. --nicole the wonder nerd who can hear you, just barely hear you... *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: RE: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 11:05:00 P Talking of ear plugs. My friend was at the Salt Lake City concert. And he was so close to the stage that he could here waht John and John were saying between songs to each other. Well the johns were sitting there talking between sets, and they said,"I feel sorry for these people in the front row." "I must be really loud." So The johns gave some ear plugs to my friend. He didn't use them though. They are way to valuable. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:16:01 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! (fwd) how about going to the Ticketmaster webpage... don't know the url tho... nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 22:41:15 -0600 From: Wyatt Glodell To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! I am talking to my dad right now. Okay, done. He seems fine about me going to the rochester show. But, this sounds funny, he wants me to wear earplugs?! He is a musician and health nut, and thinks it'll damage your hearing. Anyway, i am trying to convince to let me go /w out. So i am asking, in most they concerts, are they set up REALLY loud? i didn't think so? please respond. oh, he called again, appearently my stepmom heard them a long time ago in a club and said they were _Really good_ and not to loud. But my question i was trying to ask was, are the concerts very loud? do your ears ring for hours afterwards? I'm gonna look into buying tockets tomorrow, but dont know how (i've NEVER been to a concert) so is there one ticketmaster number to call and ge tthem sent to you? I sure hope they are not sold out. Oh yeah, why dosent someone make a sign for people at the list to meet. There seem to be a lotta people going, and i really want to meet all of you. Alright, that's it. Wyatt, who head probably caved in, he is so happy. I can't wait till the 29th! but i still need tickets. ------------------------------ From: MikeRCass@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:21:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: SF Warfield set list request --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: SF Warfield set list request Date: 96-12-11 14:16:09 EST From: MikeRCass To: Majordomo@tmbg.org Hello, If anyone has a list of the songs TMBG played at their November 20 show at the Warfield in San Francisco, I would really appreciate it if you could email me a copy directly. Someone posted an out of order list a couple weeks ago but I lost it and I kinda would like it in order, but I'll settle on a list if that's all anybody has. Thanks in advance. See ya, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:39:28 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! >Why not just wear the earplugs? Big cotton ones. After all, you could be >the only one at the concert who's shielded from the bells' effect! have they played The Bells at any recent concerts? They didn't at columbus, and I was disappointed. (I also wanted to hear Spiraling Shape and SenSurround, but they didn't play either one) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:44:43 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Equipment, Atlanta, Marriages, #'s, >#'s- 3, 4, 5 -The middle of The Guitar >I don't know if these were added, but how about: >She's got 3 cars as many years I've lived in this city -The Famous Polka >The 1 and only living doll -Living Doll >XTC vs. Adam Ant, only 1 will survive -XTC vs. Adam Ant >93 miles times a million more -Moving To The Sun >I didn't sing the line before this 1 -Weep Day >You were not the 1 I was addressing -Weep Day >4 flights up and... -Feel-Good Sublet >There are 3 diseases in every business, well jeepers, we have 2 or 3 >children- Confusing His Mind >Swing is a word 6 feet down. 387-6962 -Swing Is A Word >If you're driving down the highway at 100 mPh -We Just Go Nuts at >Christmastime >Leaving on runway number five -Next Plane to London >The fare went up to 100 dollars- Get Away >And then the 2 became 4 -King of Wingo > >That's all I can reel off right now. You've just made me realize that I haven't heard a lot of these songs that arent on albums.... Speaking of that, If they write so many songs, why don't they release albums more often (read without thinking about the ammount of tmbg stuff coming out withing the next year...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:54:59 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: New Haven and Poughkeepsie >The Boston and Pittsburgh and Granville shows (12/12,13,14) will be going on, >as scheduled. speaking of that... I NEED GRANVILLE INFO!!! I've been going insane!! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:36:15 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-TMBG's On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Jarmo Lundgren wrote: > Never heard Young Marble Giants? > Every time I - hmm - _spume_ about TMBG to one of my friends, he > mentions Young Marble Giants... Meaning something like "TMBG is just a poor YMG > rip-off" or something... Completely different musical approaches. YMG featured a bass player, guitar and girl lead singer, with drum machine. It was vary sparse, minimalist type rock, a somewhat sweet contrast between the singer's voice and the bass. The "Giants" and the drum machine is probably the only thing that tyies the two groups together. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/pinknoiz/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:06:04 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Cover Compilation Hello Listies! This is from the recently unsubscribed Boba. I am writing in regards to the cover compilation that i am organizing. Some people have already e-mailed me concerning this, and I would like to make a second invitation to those interested, now that things are slightly organized. If you are interested, please send me in an e-mail message: Name of Band or List Member(s) to be on tape Name of Song(s) to be on tape Contact Information, i.e. how to book or order merchandise (to be printed on the J-card) Then send your tape to me: BOBA 499 McMahon Dr. North Huntingdon, PA 15642 Anyone can be on it, so please e-mail me! P.S. Alan Jenkins, would you please send me your contact information. P.P.S. If anyone knows anything about Hagfish's cover of Twisting, where to get it and if I can use it, please mail me. Thanks! Boba Out. -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:12:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: getting an earful at a TMBG concert Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Dec-96 TMBG: getting an earful at .. by Nicole the W. Nerd@tmbg. > experience. My traveling companion said that They were much less loud than > some other bands he'd seen. I could hear normally again 15 minutes after > the show. I saw them at Lisner Auditorium in October of 1994 and my ears were still ringing when I got home... I had been sitting in the 7th row... I saw them at the 9:30 club in August of 1996 and was right next to the speaker, but when I got out, I was fine, and the 9:30 club is *much* louder than Lisner. At least I would think it would be. One concert isn't going to do anything one way or the other to your hearing. If you were to go to three shows right in a row, I'd recommend some form of earplugs, just because the continued exposure to loudness can do damage. But going to one concert every so often isn't going to do anything as long as your ears have a chance to recover. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:14:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess.... by Evan Chakroff@ix.netcom. > have they played The Bells at any recent concerts? They didn't at columbus, > and I was disappointed. (I also wanted to hear Spiraling Shape and > SenSurround, but they didn't play either one) They've never played it live as far as I can tell... I figure eventually they'll play FS all the way through, though... they did with John Henry. But JH was recorded live, effectively, so it could translate so much better to a concert environment. John Linnell can't sing with himself in concert. So 'the Bells' would be very difficult to perform. (of course, that doesn't stop them from doing Spiraling Shape, Subliminal, or Turn Around... or Birdhouse, for that matter) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:47:34 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! > >Why not just wear the earplugs? Big cotton ones. After all, you could be > >the only one at the concert who's shielded from the bells' effect! > > have they played The Bells at any recent concerts? They didn't at columbus, > and I was disappointed. (I also wanted to hear Spiraling Shape and > SenSurround, but they didn't play either one) > The Bells? You mean the Lou Reed song????? (just kidding folks....just trying to get y'all to actually type stuff out). Although that would be sort of amusing to hear Them do a Lou Reed song (hey, if Marky Mark can rip off "Walk on the wild Side", couldn't They do one too?). Then again, maybe They HAVE done a Lou Reed song before....in that Stump the Band phase (which i'm still mourning the loss of). In fact, I have a story about Stump the Band. My older brother and his friends took me along to my first (their third or fourth) They show, and they came prepared for Stump the Band. they made this huge banner saying "Play Head Like a Hole and Copacabana!!!" When the band announced Stump the Band, they unfurled their banner in an attempt to get Them to play it. Well, Flans looked down and said "Sorry guys....we've played them before." So was anyone at the show where They played "Head Like a Hole"? That would be an experience....then again, so would "Copacabana." Anyways, sorry for the tangent....see y'all later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "There's lots of room for you on the bandwagon..." --REM ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: TMBG: Chester and Lyrics Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:58:50 +0000 (GMT) Hello people! I am afraid that the following info is not going to be of much interest unless you are near the North West of England. If you are not, turn off.... There is a copy of Factory Showroom, at 18.79 I think, in HMV in Chester, if anyone is able to go and nab it, along with Flood at 9.99 if anyone wants a Floody bargain. Thank you! Also, I have recently been doing a lot of nosing around the Lyrics Archive, and I just wanted to say how impressed I've been! It is obviously a labour of love, and quite amazing in the sheer numbers of unreleased lyrics that are up there. I think we should all think for a minute about how lucky we are to have such people willing to do such things! I am very grateful for it. Nicola, the girl on the hill in Staffordshire ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:59:58 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: #'s Don't know if someone beat me to it...but what about "two by two" as well as "four by four" from women and men? Or "64 world's fair"? "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:05:16 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y single Anyone who can't find it: it's on the CD Universe and CDNOW websites. I don't know if they handle shipping overseas, or what this would bring the cost to, etc. However, I do know it's available. You can get to it from tmbg.org, under the Commercial Sites link in the Links Aplenty section. CDNOW has the 2 song and 5 song singles (tape and CD versions of the 2 song, CD and vinyl of the 5 song). CD Universe has the CD 5 song and 2 song, and the tape of the 2 song. Prices are lower at CD Universe. Perhaps we could try to get them to change their info and descriptions of TMBG though... RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 21:19:13 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Subject: Re:TMBG:What TMBG album got you hooked? Hey everybody! I'm Ryan! Um, indtroductions aside, i'm new to this list....i thought i was one of maybe 7 TMBG fans in the world. Nice to know differently. I got hooked in 3rd or 4th grade on the Flood album, which isn't really my favorite now, but i had "Particle Man" stuck in my head for like a year. Ryan Hamilton .sig file pending ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:38:31 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: Re: Hall of Heads + B5 Simon Koch wrote: > > For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was > possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of > heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? Hee hee! Probably not, but that's a funny thought. If they show that room in future episodes, I'll be hearing that song! -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:50:27 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: THe Movie I thought I'd toss in my own choices as who might play what character is their was a movie about them. (Keep in mind, though, that a movie about Them STARRING Them would be much better.) John Flansburgh: The guy who plays Joe, who works at the bookstore on "Ellen" John Linnell: Fred Wolf from SNL Eric Schermerhorn: comedian Stephen Wright Graham Maby: the angry little guy with the mustache in "Trainspotting" Brian Doherty: Michael Keaton (with a crazy wig) OK...maybe this ain't the best list. I'm being pressured by my roommate to get off ASAP....oh well. Cory ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:06:40 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: TMBG: TMBG poster!! I just picked up a TMBG poster for five bucks at my favorite local record store(ever since they were the only store in town to carry Unsupervised). This being the first TMBG poster I've ever seen, I'm pretty happy. It's got a yellow backdrop, John Linnell with the shortest hair I've ever scene him with and John Flansburgh looking somewhat large and miffed wearing tinted glasses(?), and the words "Factory Showroom" and "They Might Be Giants" in that They Might Be Gothic font thingy from FS.I just showed it to my mom, and she said "They're kind of ugly, aren't they?" I think it's the glasses flans is wearing. Anyway, just wanted to tell you all. Bye. -- "It's OK to be afraid when the blue spark hits your brain"-Talking Heads Jonah, gone daddy gone ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:16:01 -0500 (EST) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hall of Heads + B5 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Dec-96 TMBG: Re: Hall of Heads + B5 by Sean Kinlin@umich.edu > > For anyone who watches Babylon 5, do you think that "Hall of Heads" was > > possibly part of the inspiration for the Centauri Emperor's hall of > > heads (all those enemies he had decapitated and keeps in the back room)? > > Hee hee! Probably not, but that's a funny thought. If they show > that room in future episodes, I'll be hearing that song! I started singing that when they walked in. Everyone looked at me funny. Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "These seconds when I'm shaking leave me | Jason Riek shuddering for days" -Counting Crows | Carnegie Mellon University _____________________________________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu Seek the Ultimate Plaid! | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:11:25 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Is Hot Cha gay? On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > > And you can't die of AIDS..... You can only die of the infection/disease > that your body can't fight off because AIDS has decimated your imune system. > > C'mon man, don't quibble about wording. That as stupid as me saying "you can't be killed by a bullet, just by wound inflicted by the bullet." There's a definite causal relationship between both the AIDS -> Death and the Bullet -> Death. Everyone here just better hope that if they get hit by a bullet, it's a sapphire bullet of pure love.. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: So, whats the water street music hall like?? Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:54:54 -0600 I am looking at buying tickets right now, and am wondering what this place is like. Is it very big? ummm.... uhh..... well, can anyone that's been there tell me kinda whats it's like? I also decided i'll take along some earplugs in my pocket. I'm excited and i'm not even in rochester/ very close to the date for show yet. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Faq error Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:00:47 -0600 I just had this feeling like i HAVE TO READ THE FAQ. And in there it says the digest sends out a compiled message once a week ("A Weeks worth of messages compiled into one LONG message", under "HOW DO I JOIN THE FAN CLUB) I just thought i should point that out. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: Faq error Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:02:24 -0500 (EST) > I just had this feeling like i HAVE TO READ THE FAQ. And in there it > says the digest sends out a compiled message once a week ("A Weeks worth of > messages compiled into one LONG message", under "HOW DO I JOIN THE FAN CLUB) > I just thought i should point that out. I believe there are still a select few of us who remember when you did get a digest once a week, sometimes even less often, and they were smaller than the daily digest is today. In fact, I've started to notice some mailers rejecting the digest as being too large...I really don't want to go to 2 digests a day. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:10:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: got a devil's haircut in my mind >I've gone to 4 or 5 record stores and have only been able to >find the 3 song single. Same with me. Of course I got the 3 song one, but I am still actively serching for the 5 song one. >I have never seen a teacher being *sold* at a concert Hee heee... >Second, the Rochester show...I might be able to make it! Does >anyone know if there are still tickets left? *snip* >Any info on the show? What exactly may be played...special >xmas stuff? Who all is going? Tickets haven't sold out yet, it's 12/29 at the Water Street Music Hall, tickets are $15, plus w/the service charge whatever it is, mine were $16.50 a piece. Here's who I have is attending: me mwood@ican.net (Mike Wood) fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu (fransburgh) VP2452GW@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Todd Kluss) moot2120@mach1.wlu.ca (Robert Mootrey u) spike@udel.edu (Harlan Landes) and friends particle@servtech.com (Josh Hall-Bachner) and possibly wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) and possibly ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) >But my question i was trying to ask was, are the concerts >very loud? Well, At the BNL one I was at, were were in the front row, directly in front of the left speaker, and my hearing is still in tact. You'll be okay. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:13:35 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: TMBG: tmbg interview about a week ago, someone posted something about a web page with an interview with tmbg talking about the band, from the early years up to the present. could that person please repost the URL? Thank you. J, the Mysterious ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:19:48 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: many responses Get ready for a long message... First, I'd like to say that I support the E-mail for Childrens' books thing that Heather forwarded. I understand the argument about the servers crashing because of message overload, but this whole thing was thought up by professional people at the hospital or wherever. They should know what they're doing. And it is a kind of chain letter, but admit it. It's different than "mail this to 6 friend so you'll have a romantic life" or that "snowball" thing that was on here a while ago. It only takes a few seconds of your time to write, and it's a simple way to make some child's holiday a bit happier. (I feel the flames advancing) That being said... Danny Jones wrote: > So, which album got YOU into the group? Will anyone (besides Mismirilda) > pipe up and say that John Henry or Factory Showroom was the album that > made them fall in love with TMBG? I didn't fall in love with John Henry. For me it was Misc. T. :) To the idea of the theme of jail in They songs: As far as I know neither of the Johns has been in trouble with the law. Eric has been in jail, though. To having parents listen to They: It wasn't a choice for me. My parents asked. Then when I played some they started making fun of me. While listening to "I should be allowed to think" my mom said "What are they saying? I should be allowed to pee?" and my dad said "I guess that would go along with "They might be Johns, huh!" And my mother also thought that the Johns were ugly (at least Flans), to whoever brought that up. As to all the song parodies... In 10th grade I wrote a poem based off "Meet James Ensor" about King Henry 8th. It was pretty dumb, but fun. Whew! -Mismirilda "Join the revolution! The revolution of LOVE!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 20:53 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s >"Martin X was mad when they outlawed bell bottoms I just realized that all this time I thought it was "Martin Ness." I'm so smart. :) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Cheap sex. Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:58:14 -0500 (EST) I just ran out and bought a few CD's, including the SEXXY single, which was only $3.99. I think that's the cheapest single I have ever bought, most are $5-7. The single was what I expected, but what really surprised me was the remix on track 3. That sounds like something you could get on "Open House Party" or something with a few phone calls. Of course, nothing compares with Paranoimia on the Art of Noise CD I got. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 21:02 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG poster!! I just showed it to my mom, and she said >"They're kind of ugly, aren't they?" I think it's the glasses flans is >wearing. Anyway, just wanted to tell you all. Bye. My friend Brenna always tells me Linnell looks about twelve. And Kristen tells me he needs to get some meat on his bones. I wish I had a TMBG poster... okay, I'll stop rambling now. Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 21:08 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: many responses >To having parents listen to They: >It wasn't a choice for me. My parents asked. Then when I played some >they started making fun of me. While listening to "I should be allowed >to think" my mom said "What are they saying? I should be allowed to >pee?" and my dad said "I guess that would go along with "They might be >Johns, huh!" That's okay. My mother believes that all TMBG songs sound the same. I loaned the cd to my Quiz Bowl coach because of "James K. Polk" and he told me they were "quite an eclectic group." My mom's reaction: "How are they *eclectic*?" So I explained to her the different musical styles, etc. I don't think she was convinced, but I think she was impressed at my musical knowlege. She also asked me if HCISLAG was about being gay. *sigh* "No, mom, it's about personal freedom." Whatever. ;) Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:18:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheap sex. At 08:58 PM 12/11/96 -0500, you wrote: > > I just ran out and bought a few CD's, including the SEXXY >single, which was only $3.99. I think that's the cheapest single >I have ever bought, most are $5-7. The single was what I expected, Every single I've ever gotten has been about $1 per song 3-song SEXXY was 2.99 in a cheap cardboard case 5-song SEXXY was 4.99 in a cheap plastic case -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:57:22 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Re: So I rolled down the window and said "Book This!" Does anyone have a address or telephone number for TMBG concert bookings? The college is trying to get They for either a solo concert (possibly with Cub) in Feburary or as a headliner for our Radiothon '97 charity concert which is on April 9 and 10, 1997. The concert director would really like to get them on campus (and so would I!) :) Craig ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: Cheap sex. Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:01:28 +1100 Lucky the albums aren't the same! Imagine paying $38 for Apollo 18! I wonder if FS would have been $13 or $14??? Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic >---------- >From: Evan Chakroff[SMTP:chakroff@ix.netcom.com] >Sent: Thursday, 12 December, 1996 10:18 AM >To: TMBG List >Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheap sex. > >At 08:58 PM 12/11/96 -0500, you wrote: >> >> I just ran out and bought a few CD's, including the SEXXY >>single, which was only $3.99. I think that's the cheapest single >>I have ever bought, most are $5-7. The single was what I expected, > >Every single I've ever gotten has been about $1 per song >3-song SEXXY was 2.99 in a cheap cardboard case >5-song SEXXY was 4.99 in a cheap plastic case >-- >Evan Chakroff >The Internet Mystery Spot >http://spot.home.ml.org >This Statement Is False > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:09:23 -0600 From: "D.P. Gumby" Subject: TMBG: DJ's > > From: KdsInThHal@aol.com > And the dj on WBER was talking about the upcoming show (being Rochester) and > he said how he couldn't wait for the concert. I called up and asked about an > opening act. And he told me that they are still trying to get someone, but > it's very top secret and if he told me he'd have to kill me. :) But we'll > definitely know if they do get "them"... hmm, the suspense is killing me.. So, naturally, you said "Hey, Mr. DJ, I thought you said we had a deal!" ;-) -- Jim B. "Born to be a god among salesmen, Working the skinny ties..." -Soul Coughing ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:23:47 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba... >In the United States, saying twenty-thousand million is completely >meaningless. Elsewhere, it means the same thing as what we >call twenty billion in the U.S. May I ask why it's meaningless in the U.S.? It is not the "optimum" way to say the number (20 billion is) but it's still proper and it makes sense. The number is written that way, I think, to give a feeling of tedium and doing something over and over that just "20 Billion" doesn't do. >Second, the Rochester show...I might be able to make it! Does anyone know >if there are still tickets left? I believe there should be. NOTE TO ANYONE GOING TO THE CONCERT: It's a fundraiser for WBER, the *other* local "Modern Rock" station. Which means that the station is probably hawking the concert constantly. Which, unfortunately, means that every mosher, "dude," and other lower form of concert life will be there. >So i am asking, in most they concerts, are they set up REALLY loud? No. They are set up REALLY FUCKING GODDAMN LOUD. If you stand right up in front, you *WILL NOT* be able to hear normally until the next morning. Trust me on this one. >Oh yeah, why dosent someone make a sign for people at the list to >meet. Fransburgh will have the infamous banner. And it's very possible I will be organizing some sort of meeting for the all of us before the concert. Josh Sensible to ear and sternum /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: mattm@mixcom.com Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:36:03 -0600 Subject: TMBG:Secret Song How DO you find the secret song on FS? hit rewind after starting song 1? and if it is there, why doesn't anything like computers etc. pick it up? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:21:07 -0600 From: "D.P. Gumby" Subject: TMBG: Re: earplugs > he wants me to wear earplugs ?! Yeah, wear 'em. I've been to many a concert where my ears rang for the next 36 hours, and surprisingly, the TMBG Chicago show was one of them. It actually helps you appreciate the music more, when the drums and bass aren't vibrating your head. (And CJ can tell you that it's easier than plugging your ears with your fingers, causing Cub to make fun of you!) -- Jim B. "Born to be a god among salesmen, Working the skinny ties..." -Soul Coughing ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 01:11:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fans' Fingertips Hello 41- Fingertips- First of all, there was an idea that started tonight in the TMBG chat room on AOL. The cover album was discussed, and someone brought up fingertips. Then someone said that we should just record stuff on our computers and put it together. I took the initiative, and am doing it. We have Please Pass The Milk, Blue Thing, and Who's That Standing There done. I would appricaite it if people would just do a fingertip and drum with fingers or whistle or whatever into their mic and send it to me. It will be great when it's all done. Please specify if you want a Mac or Wav copy when it's all done, and I can take both. Thanks! Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Sex and golf are two things you can be horrible at, yet still have a great time doing. -Kevin Costner Adam's do It xourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 01:22:10 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Time won't find the lost, it'll sweep up out skeleton bones... In a message dated 96-12-11 11:52:18 EST, mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: > Gay marriage: Joseph Dowdy, don't you know many people get married in > court houses by a justice of the peace and not by a > minister/priest/whoever of a religious sect? Marriage is a legal act, > but it is not necessarily a religious one. That's why they go to the > courthouse to get married. > Matt Obviously, you don't live out here in California:) Besides that, the point I was making was regarding the "institution" (read: religious institution) of marriage being defended by the older generation of politicians. And the politicians don't need to go changing the laws because they don't have the popular backing to make homosexual marriages legal. I do think that anyone should be able to legally bind themselves as the same as they are married. However, it may not really be sound until adults figure out a way to stop getting divorced so much. Perhaps when there are no more alimony law suits, palimony law suits and gay couple law suits, then it will be a good idea to allow people to legally bind themselves to others. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 01:22:22 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! In a message dated 96-12-11 22:34:40 EST, mattm@mixcom.com writes: > How DO you find the secret song on FS? hit rewind after starting song 1? > and if it is there, why doesn't anything like computers etc. pick it up? Since when is there a secret song on FS? I would assume this means that it is not on my cassette and that I now have to go buy the CD. If someone has heard the secret song, could you please also say if it's good or mediocre. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:44:53 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: #'s Darn this digest, I just know I'll be late with this number entry: The Biggest ONE I've got no one to blame but my fat self... ====================== | from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ | 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / | alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / ====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / You, you are not the one ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-340 ******************************