Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-341 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 341 Friday, 13 December 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: #'s TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-340 Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! TMBG: ATTENTION BOSTON!!!!!! (And the surrounding area!) Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! TMBG: Cheap sex. Re: TMBG: ATTENTION BOSTON!!!!!! (And the surrounding area!) TMBG:Secret Song (fwd) TMBG: Religions & Government TMBG: "Loud" Concerts (long); jail themes, Eric the ex-con TMBG: Rochester show, selling FAST! Re: TMBG: #'s Re: TMBG: Cheap sex. Re: TMBG: B-U-N-N-Y TMBG: Token Back to Brooklyn WAV Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! TMBG: re: the movie an' other shtuff Re: TMBG: Re: earplugs Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! Re: TMBG: #'s TMBG: tmbg/bnl TMBG: brian dewan on M2? TMBG: Denison TMBG: Misc. S (stuff) TMBG: BOSTON FANS TMBG: Ochs, El Vez, PODAS, and film Re: TMBG: BOSTON FANS TMBG: getting an earful at a They concert TMBG: A review of Them and FS TMBG: They Might Be Crazy: Pitt review TMBG: hey is anyone going to the St.Louis shows TMBG: # TMBG: AARRRRGGGHHHH!!! + #'s Re: TMBG: jail themes TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! TMBG: And you belong with him... TMBG: YEAAA!!!! I got tickets! TMBG: the bells are ringing in my ss class TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Phlegmatic prospective perspective" TMBG: it's not my birthday, so why do you lash out at me? TMBG: earplugs, numbers, and singles, oh my TMBG: COVER COMPILATION TMBG: Religion (or lack thereof) Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Phlegmatic prospective perspective" TMBG: Pittsburgh Show Re: TMBG: brian dewan on M2? RE: TMBG: re: the movie an' other shtuff RE: TMBG: A review of Them and FS TMBG: my roommates are awesome Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 05:50:07 -0600 >Darn this digest, I just know I'll be late with this number entry: > >The Biggest ONE > > >I've got no one to blame but my fat self... if your gonna count that..... ...Your the only ONE here who can...... darn! i had a lot that used ONE but forgot all of them.... > >====================== >| from LVJeff |_________________________________________________ >| 1996 2-Cycle Rat | You, with the dark mood, and prone to brood / >| alecson@ucla.edu | You, with lack of pride, and prone to hide / >====================== You, desiring praise, yet prone to laze / > You, you are not the one > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 06:50:35 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-340 About concert loudness... Several concerts I've gone to (Rolling Stones-eeeeee!!, Bob Dylan, Crosby, Stills, and Nash) have caused ringing in the ears. TMBG did not, I was standing literally two feet from a speaker, but it was also in an EXTREMELY small venue (about 75 people, who were also being quiet) and tons of fun, but I've already told you about that.... What I may have neglected saying is that I had FOUR opportunities to touch a John... oh-my-gosh.... About gay marriage- I realize that most religious institutions believe homosexuality is a sin. Well, screw them all. If it's biological (and there is proof backing that up) then how could it be unnatural? I know that the arguments against include that gays are notorious for sleeping around. Well, so are heterosexuals. SO many 1-night-stands. Oh well, no one's listening anymore anyway. Signing off with a new .sig.... ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3418 Quote of the Month: "You saw it, didn't you? You saw him repressing me? Help, help, I'm being repressed!" -Monty Python and the Holy Grail @!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 08:56:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Dec-96 TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage.. by FamousName@aol.com > Since when is there a secret song on FS? I would assume this means that it is > not on my cassette and that I now have to go buy the CD. If someone has heard > the secret song, could you please also say if it's good or mediocre. It's not that good, IMHO. When I was home for Thanksgiving, though, I discovered that my CD player there can play it, so I started the CD at -1:00 and recorded it all to a tape. So *my* tape version of FS has the hidden track on it. :) Anyone want me to put this in a .WAV file and send it somewhere, or can the nice people at tmbg.org do that? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:01:24 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: ATTENTION BOSTON!!!!!! (And the surrounding area!) They Might Be Giants are going to be on 101.7 WFNX later on this afternoon!!!! The dj didn't mention a time, so keep your ears peeled! Enjoy! drg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:48:51 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! >Anyone want me to put this in a .WAV file and send it somewhere, or can >the nice people at tmbg.org do that? It's unlikely we'd get permission to put a sound file of a released track on web, even if it *is* a hidden track. We're pretty high-profile, as Leo runs the machine for tmbg.com as well, so we'd best stay legal. If *you* wanted to do it, though... :-) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Cheap sex. Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:45:03 -0500 (EST) > I just ran out and bought a few CD's, including the SEXXY > single, which was only $3.99. I think that's the cheapest single > I have ever bought, most are $5-7. The single was what I expected, > but what really surprised me was the remix on track 3. That sounds > like something you could get on "Open House Party" or something with > a few phone calls. Would this be the 3 song single then? The full length single is $5. Sort of an EP single hehehe > > Of course, nothing compares with Paranoimia on the Art of > Noise CD I got. :-) Would this be with Max Headroom? ;) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:08:57 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: TMBG: ATTENTION BOSTON!!!!!! (And the surrounding area!) >From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Subject: TMBG: ATTENTION BOSTON!!!!!! (And the surrounding > area!) > > >They Might Be Giants are going to be on 101.7 WFNX later >on this afternoon!!!! The dj didn't mention a time, so >keep your ears peeled! > >Enjoy! > >drg I heard this too. They said something about it being scheduled for about 3:00 PM. (but, of course, when do these things ever happen on time, right?). Can someone please record this (and send me a copy)? I'm at work and can't. I might even be talked into transcribing the interesting parts and posting it here. PLB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:05:19 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG:Secret Song (fwd) >How DO you find the secret song on FS? as soon as you CD player starts playing hit rewind (<<) until about 1:02... >hit rewind after starting song 1? >and if it is there, why doesn't anything like computers etc. pick it up? some CD players do not respond to data before the first second on the programing in the CD...Some newer CD-ROM Drives may not find it...if it doesn't get different cd player software for it. BTW- the song is really good in my opinion..but usually that doesn't mean too much. nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:22:59 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Religions & Government First, Tmbg content: Why the two new concert cancellations? Have They gone Mad!? :) Boy would that be interesting! Conversation w/someone interested in getting into Them: them: 'so, which album should i get?' me: 'well, there are different general eras of tmbg music, the early drum machine stuff, the full band stuff...and...well...' them: 'yess.....' me: 'well, that's when They went MAD!!!!!' *me running around sqeebling like a madman* them: 'huh, imagine that' Now onto an unrelated thing: (which isn't unrelated any longer because i've called it an unrelated thing, and thus it is connected to They!) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >the very act of consummating a homosexual marriage is a sin >in a religious context....please don't be so insensitive to the people >out there (which there are a vast majority) who >want to protect a religious institution. Don't they have the right? Absolutely not. They have the right to *hold* whatever crazy beliefs they'd like to, but if their actions based on those beliefs, or the results of those beliefs end up taking away the very basic rights of other human beings, then they are void as far as government is concerned. If I am a neo-nazi and my beliefs are that Jews are evil and should be killed, that is a belief that I should be allowed to hold, no matter if it is a terrible one. If I wanted to go around killing Jews, however, I'd get myself tossed in jail, you just can't go around killing people, no matter what your beliefs are. Also, ever heard of the concept of separation of church and state? It is evil to disallow gays to marry. I don't care what kind of beliefs someone holds about it somehow being a 'sin' or some other mystical notion. >Twenty years from now, we >will want to marry our pets Pets don't have the intellect necessary for a relationship, silly! *grin* Seriously, gays are full-blown humans with all the rights of any other. Animals are unconscious creatures that morality does not apply to. As I said, marriage is an agreement & vows between two individuals, since animals can't understand anything on that level, it is totally silly to even bring them up. >defend the broader issue of governmental legislation that people >nowadays seem to see as all bad... There is a simple reason why it is thought of as so bad today...it is! I've yet to hear a good reason for most of the crap the government loads onto us. It was created as an institution to uphold our rights, & to protect the country. The most important document written was the constitution, the purpose of which was to limit what the government was allowed to do, unfortunately, politicians utterly ignore today. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:24:43 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: "Loud" Concerts (long); jail themes, Eric the ex-con In response to Josh's post: > No. They are set up REALLY FUCKING GODDAMN LOUD. If you stand right up in > front, you *WILL NOT* be able to hear normally until the next morning. Trust > me on this one. I REALLY have to disagree with you this point! It all depends. I have been to about 100 different concerts by different groups and the "irritability" of the sound depends on how the sound system is set up and how it is mixed. My friend had a stereo in college that you could hear 2 blocks away and yet when you stood in the room you could TALK thru the sound to each other by just raising you're voice slightly. He explained it was the way the speakers were wired and positioned. He also said it depended on how you mixed the music. We were at an Anderson, Bruford Wakeman, and Howe (Yes) concert and we stood 5 yards in front of these huge speakers. The hair stood up on our arms, the music was filling a high school football stadium (so it was loud), and yet we could still almost talk to each other and I had no after concert ringing (i.e. incredible sound quality). A friend who had worked as a roadie at big shows said the sound should be ok if the group has good equipment, if they do a sound check, and if the sound crew has enough time to set the levels properly. Unfortunatly not all groups can provide all three because of time constraints, money, unfamiliar equipment (especially if their regular epuipment is stolen) ;). > To the idea of the theme of jail in They songs: > As far as I know neither of the Johns has been in trouble with the law. I think a while back there was "theme" thread (say "theme thread" 3 times fast) :) and I don't remember this one being raised maybe this should be re-visited since the very cool number thread is dying. Let's see there is skulls, death, trains, jail..... Now that's all I can think of but I'm sure there is something else way down inside me I can feel it back. > Eric has been in jail, though. Please don't do this. There should be a rule that if you post information about a person or situation that is not common knowledge you must post the details. The penalty ... hmmm ... what should the penalty be? Having to listen to the S-E-X-X-Y dance mix 1000 times sounds like a start! Please, post any details in order to verify you're statement. TIA. Erik ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:31:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Rochester show, selling FAST! I just wanted to let you know, the TMBG Rochester show is "this close to selling out" so if you're thinking of going, get your tickets *now*. ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:29:33 -0600 (CST) From: Court Schuett Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, StatuE (Wayde) wrote: > Don't know if someone beat me to it...but what about > "two by two" as well as "four by four" > from women and men? Or what about "1 note spelled l-i-t-e" :) -Court /* Court Schuett schuett@waldo.ivcc.edu ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth People should get beat up for stating their beliefs He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth Because he knows there's no such thing -They Might Be Giants *******************************************************************************/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:36:43 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheap sex. On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Every single I've ever gotten has been about $1 per song > 3-song SEXXY was 2.99 in a cheap cardboard case > 5-song SEXXY was 4.99 in a cheap plastic case > -- > Evan Chakroff > Wait a minute, my 5-song single was in a _cardboard_ case (with a little plastic of course). How many versions of this single are there? Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:08:10 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-U-N-N-Y On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Buster T. Bunny wrote: > > >>Also I had a dream the they were popular and Weird al did a parody > called > > >>B-U-N-N-Y > > > > > >No one has taken this one yet? B-U-N-N-Y. Tail made of fluff... > > Sounds good to me...maybe I'll write this one with Babs Bunny as my > inspiration..... I like it. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ Yes I'm your angel I'll give you everything in my magic power so make a wish and I'll let it come true for you tra la la la -cub --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:11:22 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Token Back to Brooklyn WAV At 09:48 AM 12/12/96 -0500, you wrote: >It's unlikely we'd get permission to put a sound file of a released track >on web, even if it *is* a hidden track. We're pretty high-profile, as Leo >runs the machine for tmbg.com as well, so we'd best stay legal. If *you* >wanted to do it, though... :-) Here's a WAV of it: ftp://chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/tmbg/sound/xtra.wav (I think that's the URL...I'm writing it off the top of my head) Enjoy! :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:42:16 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Uh-Oh.. i guess... Concert loudness, PLEASE HELP! i didn''r hear Them play Bells at the chicago show. But they did play spiraling shape. Very cool. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:46:26 -0500 Subject: TMBG: re: the movie an' other shtuff >>John Linnell: Fred Wolf from SNL<< Eek! YES!! The only reason why I put Lyle Lovett was that someone had mentioned he looked like him, but then I remembered they were talking about Jim Creeggan of BNL... I think Fred Wolf would be the best choice. When they did the Singled Out spoof, as soon as he walked off the stage, that's when I first made the connection. Then Jordan mentioned (and rightfully so) that another guy, that was in some video skit with him looks kinda like Flans. If you keep your eye out for him in Fred Wolf-appearing-skits, you'll probably find him. Oh wow, am I babbling. >>I didn't fall in love with John Henry. For me it was Misc. T. << I've said it before and it won't hurt to say it again , me too. >>Eric has been in jail, though.<< Yeah, for disturbing the peace, playing noisy-feedback guitar solos in the middle of the street at 3 am. He really ought to stop. I think he's out on probation now. ;) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:50:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: earplugs I went to the Chicago show too! IMt ears were ringing for the next three days or so. ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:52:22 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Minimum waaaaaaaaaage! He-yah!!!!!!!!! (**whip crack**)!!! The secret song is only on the CD. It is not their best, but it IS They Might Be Giants, so I like it all right. ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:56:07 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: #'s and "in 1844, the democrats were split..." ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: tmbg/bnl Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:19:44 -0500 (EST) Hi, Chris (I think it was you) might be right in suggesting BNL at the Roseland over TMBG who are merely opening for BT at Madison Square gardens. I can only see a couple reasons why you'd see TMBG. One, you are an ultra-diehard and would have to commit suicide if you went to BNL instead ;) (hop there's nobody like that on here) or two, you really like Madison Square Gardens, or wanna see Them in a huge arena like that, possibly being in the nosebleed seats and confusing John Linnell for the ant and John Flansburgh for the anteater. BNL on the other hand is doing their own show at the Roseland which probably is cheaper than a BT show. I am curious, though, does anyone know the start time of these two events? I'm trying to plan my timing out here, takes a while to get up to NYC. Thanks, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:42:52 EST Subject: TMBG: brian dewan on M2? I don't know if anyone else has posted this or not, but I think I may have just seen Brian Dewan on MTV... They're previewing their new sister channel, M2, and on an ad for said channel, they had a man who curiously resmbled Dewan playing an instrument kindof zither-like.... Coincidence??? -Tara (the other one) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:49:40 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Denison Someone with info on the Denison University concert please mail me. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:58:11 -0500 (EST) From: Amy Subject: TMBG: Misc. S (stuff) Ok, first, since I started the whole "does Linnell have a girlfriend" thread, I'll end it. He does. She's in a band in NYC. I don't know her name, however. Second, due to circumstances beyond my control, I no longer have as much net access as I used to. Therefore, I am unsubscribing from the list indefinitely. :( I'll probably resurface every now and then, however. Please keep emailing me though! I'll still check my mail, but I won't have time for 50+ messages a day. Happy holidays to everyone! Stay They, Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org Actual Newspaper Headline: Police Begin Campaign To Run Down Jaywalkers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:50:47 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: BOSTON FANS OK, Ok, I'm trying to remain calm....... I'm all set to record Them off the radio, because They were supposed to be in the WFNX studio at 3:00pm. Now, the dj says that They are running late, even joking around saying "They Might Be Late"....ha ha ha ha. The dj predicts 4:30 now. Here's the problem - I WON'T BE ABLE TO RECORD IT THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!! drg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:03:23 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: TMBG: Ochs, El Vez, PODAS, and film Hello, I don't know how many of you are familiar with El Vez, but he is a mexican Elivs impersonater with a twist. He sings Elvis song, among other covers, but changes alot of the lyrics, to be about Mexican history etc... Anyhow, the point is I was looking through The liner notes of his latest cd , and I found this: "If there is any hope for America it lies in a revoulution. If there is any hope for a revoulution it lies in Elvis Presley becoming Che Guevara." -Phil Ochs Any way I thought that was sorta interesting, if you ever have a chance to see Elvez, do it, it's agreat show. Second, since I have joined this list I have often heard talk of this PODAS, if any one knows how I can a hold of it please email me (Merciless@vt.edu). And I think if there was a movie, Ricky from Better Off Dead, should lose some weight and play Flansburgh. Thats about it, thanks for reading. Mercilesss ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:19:31 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: BOSTON FANS Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Dec-96 TMBG: BOSTON FANS by David Gonzalez@vitaliy.h > I'm all set to record Them off the radio, because They were > supposed to be in the WFNX studio at 3:00pm. Now, the dj > says that They are running late, even joking around saying > "They Might Be Late"....ha ha ha ha. The dj predicts 4:30 > now. Here's the problem - "Julie at the station says They'll be here any minute now But she's running out of records and her show is ending anyhow. They can hear her saying Their name on the car radio But the signal keeps fading out no matter which way they go. I heard they might be somewhere in this town --------- They Might Be Giants got lost driving around" :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:33:24 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: getting an earful at a They concert Hidey-ho I must mention, in all fairness, that I was *not* up close to the speakers. I had a marvelous spot, with a perfect view of the stage, but I was easily the equivalent of 20 or so rows back. (How I managed this seeming paradox has to do with the topography of the Warfield.) --nicole the wonder nerd who was having a horrible nightmare about failing her o-chem final, until she woke up and realized that she's not *taking* o-chem. *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:10:41 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: TMBG: A review of Them and FS Hey everyone, I was just looking through the Pittsburgh City Paper and I found a little review of TMBG. Here it is: --- THEY MIGHT BE CRAZY Get out your Number 2 pencils: This is a spot quiz on rock'n'roll marketing. Imagine you're an up-and-coming band with seven albums that spawned one - maybe two - marginal hits six years ago on college radio. Commercial radio won't touch your stuff and your last video fizzled out of rotation in 1990. Your next big move is to: A) Get the label to bankroll three months in a major studio with the hippest new producer; B) Anticipate the next major music and fashion craze and ride the wave on MTV; or C) Write a bunch of slightly hokey, folky, pop songs and record one of them on a crackly, 19th century acoustic soft-wax recorder. If you answered C, you're either crazy, They Might Be Giants, or both. The songwriting duo of John Linnel and John Flansburgh have carved out a career on the pop music industry's lunatic fringe - a place where abject nonconformity, clever wordplay, constant songwriting and perpetual touring can keep a band in buisness indefinitely. Factory Showroom, their new disc, is exactly what a band shouldn't do if it's members are trying to get rich. If, however, they're trying to break new ground, parody pop rock cliches and have a lot of fun, Factory Showroom is a guided tour of the improbable. "I Can Hear You" was recorded on an original Thomas Edison wax cylinder recorderat his former lab in West Orange, NJ. "James K. Polk" is a no-frills history lesson about our 11th president, while "S-E-X-X-Y" is a commercial deviation written to garner enough airplay and retail sales to pay for the weirdo fun stuff. They might be crazy, but they also might be one of the sharpest acts in the buisness. ---- That's it. Any typos are mine. It was written by a guy named John Hayes. (It's on page 45 of this week's Pgh. City Paper if you live around here.) After that it just had a little info. on the show times and stuff for saturday. I would like to say that I think this is a really cool review. Take it easy, Wubba P.S. If Emily from Drew is reading this - tell Gareth I'm gonna kick his wussy butt for head-butting my nose on Monday. *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Crazy: Pitt review Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:32:42 -0500 (EST) Well, if anyone's looking for a reason why they wrote SEXXY (ie you don't like the song very much) here it is. Well it isn't here because I didn't quote the article, but, in a nutshell, they wrote it so that they could get some airplay, be heard a little, and thus make some money so that you can get to the "real" songs. Or at least that's what I got out of it. I guess I don't mind that too much, SEXXY is not one of my favs off of Factory Showroom, but it is an interesting disco-funk twist that indeed some may think falls out of their genre. The rest of the article seemed very gratifying to TMBG. Bye Matt Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:59:44 -0600 (CST) From: Will Freeman Subject: TMBG: hey is anyone going to the St.Louis shows Hey I'm going to both shows and wondering if people would like to get together before the show if so please reply to making their subject " hey Mr dj jazzy fresh G dog" or just "Hey WILL" will do thanx. * ^ /0 &\ / @ $ \ / %#@! \ / TMBG \ ----------- U R K o c HAppy HOlidays From W L i l ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:04:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: # Wow. I started a thread. Here's another: Reprehensible 10,000 years of unerasable acts And permanent facts -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: AARRRRGGGHHHH!!! + #'s Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:27:05 -0600 I have been trying to get the tickets for the rochester show, but the ticketlooser website says "System Error, transaction code mismatch" when i try to order them! I have to go to play at a band concert, and it better work when i get back! also... i found more numbers in songs.... kinda.. i f nobody mentioned these 2: one, two, one TWO" -stompbox "One Two Three Four" -hotel detective Thats all for now Wyatt Glodell ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:10:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: jail themes How about the car (vehicles in general) theme on JH? Subliminal: "As I got hit by a car . . . Sleeping in the Flowers: "I got a ride, home with a drunk guy . . . AKA Driver: This should be self-explanatory Why Must I be Sad?: "Under my Wheels" and "You Drive me Nervous" - okay, that last one was a stretch. Spy: Sort of has a vehicle theme, Spy Plane, Submarine. Dirt Bike: "Self propelled dirt bike" motorcycle? similar to a car Destination Moon: "By taxi to the airport . . . A Self Called Nowhere: "But I must have sold my car . . . Thermostat: "When the indicator says you're out of oil, should you continue driving anyway?" Out of Jail: "It was like a TV show, the way she stole that car . . . The End of the Tour: "I was sailing along with the people driving themselves to distraction" Also, as I was finding the car themes, I noticed the line "pour the poison in my ear" in Stomp Box. Could that be an allusion to Hamlet? Guava Boy9. ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:55:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! In a message dated 96-12-12 10:29:13 EST, ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) writes: > Also, ever heard of the concept of separation of church and state? > It is evil to disallow gays to marry. I don't care what kind of beliefs > someone holds about it somehow being a 'sin' or some other mystical notion. This is certainly the best argument that I have heard either way about this gay marriage thing. I am on your side completely on this one. As a matter of fact, I was neutral about it until your statement. I am all for banning any law that supports a religious viewpoint (as long as it is something that is better for society; murder and other harmful crimes do not apply to this conversation). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:26:09 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: And you belong with him... >While I can certainly agree that two people of the same sex should have the >right to have the same legal priveleges of marriage, the very act of >consummating a homosexual marriage is a sin in a religious context (not all >church's would agree, but a vast majority would). I certainly would disagree with that. Islam would, certainly. But most Christian churches are tolerant if not openly accepting of homosexual behavior...and despite the fact that the supposed law against homosexuality is in the Old Testament, I have never heard of a case of Jews preaching homosexuality as a sin. >I'm not religious (in fact, I follow an Eastern belief), but please don't be >so insensitive to the people out there (which there are a vast majority) who >want to protect a religious institution. Don't they have the right? To follow your logic to it's natural conclusion, the Christians were right to go on the Crusades -- they were protecting their religious institutions, after all. One's rights cannot infringe on someone else's, PERIOD, and that is what denying gays the right to marry does. >On the most part I was looking at the social contract involved, simply because >not all religions would agree. Frankly, it's none of their fucking business who I sleep with, what drugs I do, or which God(s) I choose to worship (or not to worship) unless I *make* it their business. >Speaking of that, If they write so many songs, why don't they release >albums more often Ummm... 1) Because it's a major pain in the ass to record an album while you're touring; 2) Because a lot of that unreleased material isn't any good; 3) Because it would mean that they'd probably end up with some really good albums and some really crappy ones. >"They're kind of ugly, aren't they?" I think it's the glasses flans is >wearing. Also the fact that in the picture Linnell look like he has a debilitating skin disease (and a prosthetic right hand) and Flans looks like he's storing nuts for the winter. >I really don't want to go to 2 digests a day. I would have to admit that I'd prefer it that way, because right now it takes about four minutes for the tmbg-digest to download every day. >this whole thing was thought up by professional people at the hospital or >wherever. They should know what they're doing. You obviously do not have very much experience with "professional people." Josh Fly like a kite through space -- no strings. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: YEAAA!!!! I got tickets! Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:41:36 -0600 I finally got the tickets to the rochester show!!!!!!!!! Well.... i ordered them. i also saw KITH: Brain Candy, and i hadn't seen any KITH stuff (i dont have HBO, isnt that where it is on?). It was pretty groovy. Wyatt, whose radio station sold a TICKLE ME ELMO doll for $1000, and he hasn't even seen a commercial for this insanly wanted toy! ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 23:50:27 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the bells are ringing in my ss class Today i played "the bells are ringing" for my ss class,since we have been studying about propaganda and govt.s. here are the reactions.... one kid asked me "who is the song by?", i say "who do you think", knowing i mean TMBG ,he covers his ears and goes "noooo" (he has never heard their music before) when BONG BONG BONG BONG started,MANY kids laughed,i dont know WITH or AT the song. i think with. they just thought it was so weird an like nothing theyve heard before,but i guess it was like that at first for all of us huh? a girl i know,named irina,said "OH,THIS IS COOL!" twice :). in the beginning,right after linnell starst singing,and when its ending. throughout the song,i heard many kids saying things like "what the hell is this?",and SOOOOO many kids were imitating "BONG BONG BONG BONG". after,my ss teacher asked about a question to me about the song. 1 kid said "how the hell do you listen to that?" after the song was over,i thought it was pretty cool we had a 10 minute discussion about it! kids were analyzing it,and mostly talkign about the"a girl with cotton in her ears" part,and my ss teacher really liked the song before the song,i had to introduce it and tmbg. i said "no one here as probably heard of them"and sat down. my ss teacher goes "eehhhhhhhh,tell us more. what kind of music are they?", i said "uhh,well,there uh....." my ss teacher said "well are rock? heavy metal? rap?" i tried to explain that they all different styles,and dont really have a specific one,and most every song sounds different. well,thats about it. oh,i got the 85 demo tape today (thanks sarah!),and it was cool. i like "youll miss me" better on lincoln,a lot better.become a robot and im def are messed up. well bye. hope you enjoyed my little,uh,letter jordan "oh no,i wouldnt lie! not to GOD!" --dave, kith ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Phlegmatic prospective perspective" Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:48:40 +1100 Hello Campers XPress finally had a review of FS. Unfortunately I don't have it on me at the moment (opting for the more mundane choice - clothes), which is probably a good thing. In brief it was hammer time; the album were too short Lin'l fountain of pop was rapidly depleting the songs were as irritating as their smart-arse titles (re: XTCVSAA) Pet Name was good if you could get past Flans nasal whining If I can find it again I might send it to the group. But the journalist clearly stated that JH was the start of the decline for They, and FS only strengthened this fact. These views, of course, are not mine!! They're just unfortunate!! Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:05:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: it's not my birthday, so why do you lash out at me? In a message dated 96-12-12 22:31:45 EST, particle@servtech.com (Joshua Hall-Bachner) writes: AT LEAST TEN FLAMING REMARKS AS FOLLOWS... (Don't be so defensive guy, it's just a newsgroup. No one attacked you, so why do you have to attack others?) > >While I can certainly agree that two people of the same sex should have the > >right to have the same legal priveleges of marriage, the very act of > >consummating a homosexual marriage is a sin in a religious context (not all > >church's would agree, but a vast majority would). > > I certainly would disagree with that. Islam would, certainly. But most > Christian churches are tolerant if not openly accepting of homosexual > behavior...and despite the fact that the supposed law against homosexuality > is in the Old Testament, I have never heard of a case of Jews preaching > homosexuality as a sin. Pardon, but I don't believe that what you are saying is accurate about "most Christian churches are tolerant if not openly accepting of homosexual behavior. Even the Pope refused to bless gay AIDS victims. > >I'm not religious (in fact, I follow an Eastern belief), but please don't > be > >so insensitive to the people out there (which there are a vast majority) > who > >want to protect a religious institution. Don't they have the right? > > To follow your logic to it's natural conclusion, the Christians were right > to go on the Crusades -- they were protecting their religious institutions, > after all. One's rights cannot infringe on someone else's, PERIOD, and that > is what denying gays the right to marry does. It's not my logic (and I was partly kidding). I think though that we do all have the right to protect our way of life. If homosexuality as a sin is a way of life for someone, who am I to tell them they are WRONG. I am not so judgmental. I don't care what gay people do. I have friends who are gay and if anyone is in love and in a great relationship, it certainly can't be bad in my book. > >On the most part I was looking at the social contract involved, simply > because > >not all religions would agree. > > Frankly, it's none of their fucking business who I sleep with, what drugs I > do, or which God(s) I choose to worship (or not to worship) unless I *make* > it their business. Don't shoot the messenger. If it's a reality that certain people think it's their business who you sleep with, you don't need to vent at those of us who don't make it our business to make you wrong. > >Speaking of that, If they write so many songs, why don't they release > >albums more often > > Ummm... > > 1) Because it's a major pain in the ass to record an album while you're > touring; > 2) Because a lot of that unreleased material isn't any good; > 3) Because it would mean that they'd probably end up with some really good > albums and some really crappy ones. You can take this personally if you want: Life is too short to be such a jerk. Only an asshole would turn a simple question into a slap in the face. > >"They're kind of ugly, aren't they?" I think it's the glasses flans is > >wearing. > > Also the fact that in the picture Linnell look like he has a debilitating > skin disease (and a prosthetic right hand) and Flans looks like he's storing > nuts for the winter. You are bitter (and perhaps you don't know it). > >this whole thing was thought up by professional people at the hospital or > >wherever. They should know what they're doing. > > You obviously do not have very much experience with "professional people." Who are you to say that people who thought up something that might make a difference to not be "professional people." Perhaps you should consider that anyone who is paid is a professional. Even if you get paid $5.00 an hour for plucking chickens, you have a profession and that makes you a professional AND a specialist in your field (whether you agree or not). If I got paid $5.00 an hour for plucking chickens that would make me an expert in fact if I do it 40 hours a week over a period of time. I could be the fastest chicken plucker on the planet and in your book, I would not be an expert or a professional. You must be expecting others to agree with your experience of "professional people" which from your bitter perspective doesn't sound very complimentary or peaceful. Flame on, Josh!!!! I'm sure it will make you "feel" so much better to ingratiate others. Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:27:08 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: earplugs, numbers, and singles, oh my EARPLUGS: I suggest you wear them. The Smashing Pumpkins are notorious for being loud, but I didn't have one-quarter the headache after seeing them that I did when I saw TMBG. Granted, the acoustics of the theatre were likely a BIG factor. But TMBG was one of the loudest concerts I've ever attended. (You could hear it half a block outside the venue.) NUMBERS: Can't beleive it hasn't been mentioned. I was holding my tongue. "I lost my lucky ball and chain, now she's 4 years gone" ("She's 5 feet tall..." was already mentioned.) Singles: Our Best Buy had both singles, but I bought the five song one at Tower Records instead. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:30:45 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: COVER COMPILATION I am BOBA! I am organizing the Cover Comp remember? I have some issues that I would like to resolve by voting. First, let me state, that I intend for this project to be awesome, I want it to be really expressive as far as John & John go, and as far as we, the listies go. Now, 1. Should there be multiple covers allowed? I say yes, because, everyone should be allowed to express themselves in this way. 2.Should multiple entries be allowed? I say yes, again, because I think it would let the listeners feel like they know the artist better. Please reply to me via personal e-mail on this. I want a lot of thought to go into this. If anyone has any ideas for a title, let me know also. Thanks again, guys, you're great! Boba out. -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:35:15 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Religion (or lack thereof) PLEASE could you guys cut out the discussion about religion on the list? After all, it is the They Might Be Giants mailing list, and that really has no place here. (Perhaps only a very small place, example: _Kiss Me, Son of God_) Try ro keep it to personal E-Mail, please? I would really appreciate it. Don't be a bucket-head (general words of wisdom) -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | -------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:45:44 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said "Phlegmatic prospective perspective" > Lin'l fountain of pop was rapidly depleting What the heck does this mean? I can't help but see linnell standing by a fountain that is gushing out pepsi with this sad look on his face. I think everyone is bashing FS way too much. The only problem with it is that it is way too short. I had "I Can Hear You" stuck in my head for nearly a week and a half, and "Metal Detector" is one of my all time favorites. And don't forget: therewereeightysevenadvilinthebottlenowthere'sthirtyleftIatefortysevenadvilsowhathappenedtotheotherten? -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | -------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:12:15 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show Hey Listies, See ya in Pittsburgh, the big guy with the sideburns and the little brother! -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:19:18 -0500 (EST) From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: brian dewan on M2? At 14:42 12/12/96 EST, tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu wrote: >I don't know if anyone else has posted this or not, but I think I may have >just seen Brian Dewan on MTV... And speaking of Brian Dewan...I'm sure some of you have his album 'Brian Dewan Tells The Story'. Well, there is a song on it called Drinking Bird, where one of the only instruments being played is an accordian. Now, I'm listening to this song, and thinking...Brian Dewan and TMBG know each other, he's built stuff for Them, opened for Them, TMBG have a shirt called 'Drinking Bird'...could Linnell be the one playing the accordian on this song?? It only makes sense that this would be the case, but the accordian player isn't credited on the liner notes, so I can't know for sure. Anyone have any ideas? Alex http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: re: the movie an' other shtuff Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:47:48 +1100 >>>Eric has been in jail, though.<< > >>Yeah, for disturbing the peace, playing noisy-feedback guitar solos in the >middle of the street at 3 am. He really ought to stop. I think he's out on probation now. ;)< Maybe we should put out a warrant for irritating guitar into's, and unnecessary stanzas!! Cheers and Beers >10000ft Septic > ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: A review of Them and FS Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:54:38 +1100 I think John Hayes summed it up beautifully. No radical hype (from an either left or right faction), just a great summation which sums up TMBG (and quashes the notion of They mainstreaming with FS!). Thanks for the review Wubba. Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic >---------- >From: That rascal Eric Webber[SMTP:erwst9+@pitt.edu] >Sent: Friday, 13 December, 1996 6:10 AM >To: TMBG list >Subject: TMBG: A review of Them and FS > >Hey everyone, I was just looking through the Pittsburgh City Paper and I >found a little review of TMBG. Here it is: > >--- > > THEY MIGHT BE CRAZY > >Get out your Number 2 pencils: This is a spot quiz on rock'n'roll >marketing. Imagine you're an up-and-coming band with seven albums that >spawned one - maybe two - marginal hits six years ago on college radio. >Commercial radio won't touch your stuff and your last video fizzled out of >rotation in 1990. Your next big move is to: A) Get the label to bankroll >three months in a major studio with the hippest new producer; B) >Anticipate the next major music and fashion craze and ride the wave on >MTV; or C) Write a bunch of slightly hokey, folky, pop songs and record >one of them on a crackly, 19th century acoustic soft-wax recorder. If you >answered C, you're either crazy, They Might Be Giants, or both. The >songwriting duo of John Linnel and John Flansburgh have carved out a >career on the pop music industry's lunatic fringe - a place where abject >nonconformity, clever wordplay, constant songwriting and perpetual touring >can keep a band in buisness indefinitely. Factory Showroom, their new >disc, is exactly what a band shouldn't do if it's members are trying to >get rich. If, however, they're trying to break new ground, parody pop rock >cliches and have a lot of fun, Factory Showroom is a guided tour of the >improbable. "I Can Hear You" was recorded on an original Thomas Edison wax >cylinder recorderat his former lab in West Orange, NJ. "James K. Polk" is >a no-frills history lesson about our 11th president, while "S-E-X-X-Y" is >a commercial deviation written to garner enough airplay and retail sales >to pay for the weirdo fun stuff. They might be crazy, but they also might >be one of the sharpest acts in the buisness. > >---- > >That's it. Any typos are mine. It was written by a guy named John Hayes. >(It's on page 45 of this week's Pgh. City Paper if you live around here.) >After that it just had a little info. on the show times and stuff for >saturday. I would like to say that I think this is a really cool review. > >Take it easy, > Wubba > >P.S. If Emily from Drew is reading this - tell Gareth I'm gonna kick his >wussy butt for head-butting my nose on Monday. > >------------------------------------------------------------------ >|Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | >|erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | >|wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| >|http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| >------------------------------------------------------------------ > > ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: my roommates are awesome Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:58:53 EST tell me my roommates are not the best: ok, tonight i went to my FIRST tmbg concert... of course, i didn't know that until we were standing outside paradise... ok, here's the story: i knew about the show but wasn't planning on going..my rmmates wanted me to go to newbury st with them and made up some lame reason why... we take a cab, which i didn't want to take (they lit had to pull me into the cab, i'm a spoiled brat :)), and one of them says to the cabbie comm ave, and i was sort of confused but didn't think much of it... so we pull up infront of paradise and i knew they were playing there so i said oh, cool, they're playing here...but i didn't realize we were going... so one of them says happy birthday, and i said, it's not my birthday (it's not today..) (it's on the 24th) and i stilll didn't get it...i'm a little slow and finally we were waiting in line and i got it... it was so awesome, especially considering the fact that neigther of them really like Them... i was smiling the whole night ok... i don't really remember what the songs were in order, someone post that? but they played alot of middle "period" stuff, and ana ng..lots of flood..some apollo, some jh, and of course fs when we got back, i told everyone i saw...most weren't too impressed... then i got showered (we have a tradition of stuffing people into showers on their bday...and of course i sang, it's not my birthday....) well that's it folks, tahnks for listening if you are and kelley, makeif your'e still there, make sure you ton't pass up your next shot... ithis was definitely the best bday present anyone's ever given me... j. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-341 ******************************