Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-342 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 342 Saturday, 14 December 1996 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: my roommates are awesome TMBG: Politica Etcetera... TMBG: NYE and toad's TMBG: YEAAA!!!! I got tickets! TMBG: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) TMBG: look inside your eye, secret agent spy! TMBG: obTMBG (in school) TMBG: Brave Combo paves roads for Them TMBG: Losing my Religion? Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest Re: TMBG: World Conquest Re: TMBG: tmbg/bnl Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Re: TMBG: Everyuone wants to see that groovy thing Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! TMBG: TMBG recurring themes Re: TMBG: Politica Etcetera... TMBG: Say. . . Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes TMBG: TMBG: boston show, chords TMBG: Don't Let's Start non-TMBG: freak flags Re: TMBG: boston show, chords Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes TMBG: about gay marriage TMBG: and i quote TMBG: An attempt at a better web site. TMBG: Power Rangers Testimonial Dinner TMBG: Delurking to announce: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! Non-TMBG: Chalkhills TMBG: Tribute Tape Web Site TMBG: Sabrina Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: RE: TMBG: my roommates are awesome Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:23:26 +1100 >tell me my roommates are not the best: > OK! Their not the best!! You may all now delete this unnecessary childish response. Cheers and Beers >10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Politica Etcetera... From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 03:41:36 EST On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:26:09 -0500 (EST) Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: >they were protecting their religious institutions, >after all. One's rights cannot infringe on someone else's, PERIOD, and that >is what denying gays the right to marry does. Okay, the one thing I'm wondering is, since when did marriage become a *right*. Is marriage in any way protected in the constitution? The way I see it, marriage is a legal contract *based* upon an old religious ceremony, joining a man and a woman, in several, if not most, religions. Now, assuming this is based on an old religious (and therefor crucified among the ranks here) belief, why would gays want to have a part in this particular ceremony? If it is just about tax reasons and such, are they really interested in being married, or do they just want the tax breaks, I mean really... You can all flame me as conservative boy now... Harry Browne for president... >Frankly, it's none of their fucking business who I sleep with, what drugs I >do, or which God(s) I choose to worship (or not to worship) unless I *make* >it their business. I have to agree with the drugs bit, but that has to do with some other belief that you may all find shocking... forget it... *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:31:22 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: TMBG: NYE and toad's first off, I am going to confirm the New Year's Eve show, and they are opening for Blues Travler, big ad in the Voice this week, color and everything... however, I am not going, because they are only opening, it is extremely expensive, and they are playing four shows here in February at Irving Plaza.. Last year I saw them at Tramps on New Year's, that was fun, but I can't see being at a huge place like Madison Square Garden being much fun... As far as toad's goes, does anyone have any idea why they postponed the concert they we supposed to do Wed. until February... this does not make me happy at all... have they ever cancelled a show before? just wondering... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: YEAAA!!!! I got tickets! Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:36:42 -0500 (EST) > I finally got the tickets to the rochester show!!!!!!!!! Well.... i > ordered them. Congratulations! Does anyone know the status on the DC tickets? I haven't ordered yet and I'm hoping they are not near to selling out. > > i also saw KITH: Brain Candy, and i hadn't seen any KITH stuff (i > dont have HBO, isnt that where it is on?). It was pretty groovy. I wish KITH were still on HBO but sadly about 3 or so years ago they stopped showing it and moved it to Comedy Central which sucks big time as I don't have CC. They briefly showd it on CBS at 2am for a while, too. And yes I stayed up to watch it. > Wyatt, whose radio station sold a TICKLE ME ELMO doll for $1000, and he > hasn't even seen a commercial for this insanly wanted toy! A married woman called up the Don & Mike show and said she would have sex with Dennis Murphy (really stupid guy) just to get a Tickle Me Elmo doll for her son. What is this world coming to? It was funny tho ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:13:36 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) Hello Exquisite Living People, 1) 9:30 Club show - I will be there, as will my sweetie, Lauren. We'll be easy to spot, look for a guy with an adorable redhead hanging off of him. Please feel free to find us and say "Hello!" Don't know what I look like? There's a picture of me somewhere at http://www.sunyopt.edu/suny/studorg/svosh.htm . 2) Could we please drop the gay marriage thread? What the heck? 3) Could we please keep the number/song thread going? Here's another one: She's a billion(aire) <> Bob Plass ----------------------------- "They're not strangers! They're your They Might be Giants friends!" - - - Lauren who can't say 'They're your They' 3 times fast without giggling. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:00:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: look inside your eye, secret agent spy! (first, getting this outta the way...) I think this whole gay marriage debate (in general; I'm not bashing any listies, although I do think it has gotten outta hand here) is really ridiculous. Now I am not religious. I've been to church... what a total of 4 times (2 funerals and 2 weddings)? So there you have that. I don't know..maybe if I was, my opinion might differ. I'll never know. But what I want to know is why do people have problems with people of the same sex getting married? If you love someone, you should be able to be joined together officially, be it a church or a court that deems you together. I'm sure the main reason is not economical advantages; it's in most cases-- love. Now the dessert (I'm stealing back your best ideas!)... >>Also the fact that in the picture Linnell look like he has a debilitating skin disease (and a prosthetic right hand) and Flans looks like he's storing nuts for the winter.<< I happen to think they both look beautiful in that picture. 8) I would kill for that poster.... >>but it is an interesting disco-funk twist that indeed some may think falls out of their genre. << I think it was a smart move on Their part, releasing a song like that for the single. Get the brainwashed I-Think-I'm-Alternative kids to hear their music... hey a song with the letters S-E-X in it, and you're an MTV sweetheart... I'm sure that's what they had in mind, and i sure as hell don't blame them one bit. But the problem I have is this-- my real alternative station (I think the call letters go without saying-> WBER) plays S-E-X-X-Y an awful lot. And the dj the other day said something about the concert and said "...and here's what They sound like.." [S-E-X-X-Y] played... No. My thought is this: Wouldn't it be a neat idea to have given S-E-X-X-Y ep's to commercial stations, and TMHFO to alterna-stations? Because there are some crappy stations that are too "modern rock" oriented to play S-E-X-X-Y, yet, I bet TMHFO would get a lot of airplay. Or maybe that's the next single, and they're trying from every angle, one at a time. Yeah. And what a coincidence.. The song in question is on the radio now. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:00:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: obTMBG (in school) >>my ss teacher said "well are rock? heavy metal? rap?"<< Hee hee, I was asked that the other day by my english tutor (which I actually have in 1 hour, and it's KITH time now, so I better hurry), and I just sat there.."Um... well... It's Their own style." And the day before, at a friends' house (family chrismas gathering thing) I had my snoman shirt on, and was asked what music They play, and I had the same reaction, but one of my friends said "They've been around since the 80's..You can't really classify them, though..." And you know what? He has Much Music. Case closed. Shows which "music" channel plays them more. Gee, I wish I had that sattelite dish... ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:25:24 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: Brave Combo paves roads for Them ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Charset: us-ascii X-Sun-Content-Lines: 21 Hiya, I don't know how many of you out there know who Brave Combo is, but, I happen to like them. Anyhoo, I'm on the Brave Combo mailing list and someone forwarded a newspaper article concerning Brave Combo and included a quote (albeit small) concerning TMBG. I left the entire article attached just in case you'd like to read it. Although it can be said that Brave Combo contributed mightily to the recent resurgence of lounge music and paved the way for such ensembles as They Might Be Giants, Combustible Edison, and Those Darn Accordions, Finch and his bandmates are leery of campiness. "If we can do one thing," he says, "we'd like to destroy people's misconceptions about what's cool to like in music." Talk to ya'll later. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text Content-Disposition: inline; filename="3fe62.htm" X-Sun-Content-Length: 6352 X-Sun-Charset: us-ascii X-Sun-Content-Lines: 140 [Image] Home Away From Home Brave Combo has a way with St. Louis audiences Thursday, December 12, 1996 By Joe Williams Special To The Post-Dispatch In the `80s, there was a popular bumper sticker that [Image] read, "Use an Accordion, Go to Jail." Today, that bumper sticker is consigned to the scrap heap of sloganeering *a largely because a sextet called Brave Combo has made the Brave world a much friendlier place for polka performers and Combo fans alike. And perhaps nowhere outside of their hometown of Denton, Texas, is Brave Combo's popularity greater than in St. Louis, where they will be playing their annual holiday-season show Wednesday at Mississippi Nights. Opening the show will be St. Louis' own Civil Tones. Brave Combo has been wowing St. Louis with their good-time-y globalism since a riotous Heartbreak Hotel gig in 1983. Over the years, they have developed a following here that might best be described as zealous. Although certain neighborhoods in St. Louis have a distinctly Germanic heritage, Brave Combo's fan base isn't generally culled from the deni zens of Dutchtown. Rather, they attract the kind of roots-rock and world-beat aficionados who listen to KDHX and kick up their heels at Off Broadway. Conspicuous among the Brave Combo legionnaires is Dagmar Von Tress, an artist who lives downtown. "They're just so infectious," she says. "They play square music so straight that it's hip." A few years ago, Von Tress hired the band for a Christmas party in her Washington Avenue loft and has since become part of their extended family. "I've actually traveled in the van with them," she says. "I know who snores, the whole thing." She says she hasn't missed a Brave Combo appearance here in three years. "We've probably played St. Louis, oh, 25, 30, 40 times," says Carl Finch, the band's accordion player, guitarist and lead vocalist. He re cites a litany of gigs at bars ranging from Boomer's to Cicero's to the Hi-Pointe. The band has also played community-based events at Union Station and the Taste of St. Louis festival, which further broadened their audience beyond the usual nightclubbing crowd. Finch, who has a brother in Collinsville, figures there are very few nooks and crannies of the city that he hasn't visited at one time or another. "A few years ago we played at the Casa Loma Ballroom, and that was really neat," he recalls. "It was some kind of reunion for people in their 60s and 70s, and they really got into it." The band discovered the true loyalty of their St. Louis audience last December, when they hit an ice storm in Springfield, Mo., on their way to the St. Louis holiday show. They called ahead to Von Tress and suggested that maybe the gig should be canceled for lack of interest. Von Tress assured the band of an enthusiastic welcome despite the weather. "When we got there, the place was packed," Finch says. "It was such a nice feeling. If that had been Dallas, nobody would have shown up, no matter how much they liked us." One of the ways the band has repaid the loyalty is by naming the Little League baseball team that they sponsor in Denton after St. Louis' Cardinals. Finch says that the Wednesday night gig will feature tunes from Brave Combo's new Rounder Records re lease, "Mood Swing Music," as well as plenty of reconstituted Yuletide favo rites from their holiday album, "It's Christmas, Man." The latter album was originally recorded for the Christmas-crazy Japanese market and never intended for Ameri can release *a until public demand at events such as the St. Louis Christmas gigs proved too hard to resist. Brave Combo's new-found Japanese following is indicative of how popular the boys have become since the days when they were playing state hospitals and retirement homes in north-central Texas. In the last few years, the band has performed on the "Prairie Home Companion" radio show, at Lincoln Center in New York, at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (beneath an inflated Woody Woodpecker) and at the wedding reception for the Talking Heads' David Byrne (who had hired Finch as "accordion consultant" for his 1986 film "True Stories"). Newcomers to the Combo cult might initially peg the band as polka purists, and it's true that they were once nominated for a Grammy Award in the polka category. But Finch describes them as a rock 'n' roll band, albeit one with influences that derive from every continent except musically challenged Antarctica. They swing with ease between Slavic, Tex-Mex and Middle Eastern intonations. In the Brave Combo universe, it's not unusual to find accordion-fortified renditions of such disparate songs as "The Hokey Pokey" and the Doors' "People Are Strange." "They still surprise me with some of the stuff they know," says Von Tress. Although it can be said that Brave Combo contributed mightily to the recent resurgence of lounge music and paved the way for such ensembles as They Might Be Giants, Combustible Edison, and Those Darn Accordions, Finch and his bandmates are leery of campiness. "If we can do one thing," he says, "we'd like to destroy people's misconceptions about what's cool to like in music." Brave Combo with the Civil Tones Where: Mississippi Nights When: 8:30 p.m. Wednesday How Much: $10 More Info: 421-3853 Photo - Brave Combo [Image] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:56:00 -0600 From: Rik Gran Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Losing my Religion? I agree that the discussion of religion should probably not be on the TMBG list, but here is a little bit of trivia (i.e. no discussion or opinion or flame or anything) for you to ponder. TMBG content follows. Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: > The way I see it, marriage is a legal contract *based* upon an old > religious ceremony, joining a man and a woman, in several, if not For Christians, it is the other way around. My understanding is that the religious "ceremony" was based on the old legal contract. By the way, it was fun trying to guess what BNL and BT stood for. I haven't read this for weeks. I got BNL, but had to look up BT in another post. The only reason I got BNL was because I asked myself "who could possibly be as good as TMBG and a better live act?" Too bad I have never yet seen them live. I have seen BT live, however. Kind of a fun game to play. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:01:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest > Hey, wait a second, I thought I was going to be Supreme Ruler and > Dictator of the world. points and grunts!> o, but I'll let you live under the delusion that you are while my fellow Supreme Rulers ( David and Alan) and I control your mind... Waahahahahaahahahaha!! WORLD CONQUEST '97 HAS BEGUN!! =) Sincerely, Your Ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:06:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: World Conquest > Bravo Helen. I want to be under your spell. Ahhh.. you are more than free to be! In fact, I encourage it. =) JUst remember that I am your ruler and if you have any problems, contact me and I'll take care of them. Now that I control your mind and your life, you will live in a complete utopia of your own creation. =) Just be sure to think of cute redheaded females in Tennessee often and keep in touch. =) > If I am aqueous humor impaired, does it matter? SEE, it's a joke:) Absolutely since you only read the joke. But read it to yourself outloud and you'll get it... Hugs and Smiles, Your Benevolent Ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen =) ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:16:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg/bnl I just thought you all should know that I am the luckiest person in the world. =) This year I got to see They Might Be Giants in concert ANd BareNaked Ladies in concert. For BNL, I was on the FRONT ROW. I had my mac and cheese confiscated by security before I could throw it, but they assured me the band would get it and my friend Daniel hid his down his pants so we threw his during 'If I Had a Million Dollars'. It was awesome. I saw They Might Be Giants at the Pyramid and I was in 9th row, center. It was incredible. They played my favorite songs back to back and I finally got to see them in all their glory. So I got to see my two favorite bands of all time in concert this year, and had great seats for both. And people think Memphis is only good for Elvis... HA! Your Friend, Helen =) ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:22:27 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| I built a little empire out of some crazy garbage Called the blood of the exploited working class But they've overcome their shyness Now they're calling me Your Highness And a world screams, "Kiss me, Son of God" -They Might Be Giants On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Juliet wrote: > > Hey, wait a second, I thought I was going to be Supreme Ruler and > > Dictator of the world. > points and grunts!> > > o, but I'll let you live under the delusion that you are while my fellow > Supreme Rulers ( David and Alan) and I control your mind... Well, now juliet.. we all know you nor david or alan rule the universe!! it's actually controled by triangle man and his pawns like chess piece face.. it's all part of the spawning of the cage and aquirium. but, don't take it from me.. look in to the spiralling shape and listen to the bells..mr.horrible doesn't mind and well niether should you :) please don't let anyone know that this is all part of the worlds address.. a forgotten place, oh well, it's a human skull.. turn around. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:27:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! This is the best quote I have EVER heard on the topic of gay marriages. It was said by one of the most distinguished members of the Kennedy family, although I can't remember his name right now. He stated this on Politically Incorrect. "You cannot deny a tax-paying citizen of this country a basic civil right." That's all it is folks. regardless of what ytou personally think of homosexuality, it is not the government's place to enforce morality- that is society's place. If it was, I would be the BIGGEST advocate for adultery and cheating in general to be punishable by DEATH. I'm not joking folks. You impose your morality on me and I'll impose mine on you. You cheat on someone, you deserve nothing but slow torture for the rest of your natural life and to burn in hell for your eternal one as far as I'm concerned. Ahem... but anyway. =) Government is not here to impose morality. Marriage is a civil right. Citizens are citizens regardless of sexual orientation and cannot be denied a civil right. Besides, I thought everyone was FOR family values? Then why the HECK are you keeping people from having families? Hate is not a family value, and neither is bigotry in any form. Thank you. =) Helen Chipman =) ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:49:02 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! morality.. government.. society.. is this a joke to which i forgot the punchline? |---------------------------| | grefin@cyberhighway.net | |---------------------------| I built a little empire out of some crazy garbage Called the blood of the exploited working class But they've overcome their shyness Now they're calling me Your Highness And a world screams, "Kiss me, Son of God" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:59:30 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: World Conquest > Well, now juliet.. we all know you nor david or alan rule the universe!! You just don't THINK we do, but trust me, we do. > it's actually controled by triangle man and his pawns like chess piece > face.. it's all part of the spawning of the cage and aquirium. but, don't > take it from me.. look in to the spiralling shape and listen to the > bells..mr.horrible doesn't mind and well niether should you :) please > don't let anyone know that this is all part of the worlds address.. a > forgotten place, oh well, it's a human skull.. turn around. Ah, but don't let's start! Ask not why the world's in love again, just know that inside your prostetic forehead I am the supreme ruler who watches over you. Because we can't drive out the way we drove in, so we should be sleeping in the flowers. Just allow yourself to give into rthe subliminal- I am the supreme high empress. Sincerely, Your ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:02:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Juliet Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, .o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o. wrote: > morality.. government.. society.. is this a joke to which i forgot the > punchline? No... =) But don't worry about it. Living ruling up the most capable- me. =) Sincerely, Your Ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen =) ******************************************************* Helen Joan Chipman "No one's picking up the phone uhjchipman@latte.memphis.edu guess it's me and me... And this little masochist, she's ready to confess I love you, all the things that I never thought that she could feel..." my Romeo. -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ********************************* http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uhjchipman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:29:52 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Juliet wrote: > On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, .o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o. wrote: > > > morality.. government.. society.. is this a joke to which i forgot the > > punchline? > > No... =) But don't worry about it. Living ruling up the most capable- > me. =) > > Sincerely, > Your Ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen =) > WoWoo! They finally link! The two threads are one! Yeah! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:59:46 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: Everyuone wants to see that groovy thing > Now the dessert (I'm stealing back your best ideas!)... > >>Also the fact that in the picture Linnell look like he has a debilitating > skin disease (and a prosthetic right hand) and Flans looks like he's storing > nuts for the winter.<< > I happen to think they both look beautiful in that picture. 8) I would kill > for that poster.... You can't have it!! It's mine! MINE!!! MINE!!!!!!!! Sorry... lost control there. Anyways, Flans does look like he's storing nuts for winter, but I like it anyway. You know, I'm probably the only teenaged boy in the state without one scantily clad Cindy Crawford/Cathy Ireland/Pamela Anderson poster in his room. Wouldn't it be a neat idea to have given S-E-X-X-Y ep's to > commercial stations, and TMHFO to alterna-stations? Because there are some > crappy stations that are too "modern rock" oriented to play S-E-X-X-Y, yet, I > bet TMHFO would get a lot of airplay. Or maybe that's the next single, and > they're trying from every angle, one at a time. Yeah. > And what a coincidence.. The song in question is on the radio now. I think TMHFO has much more commercial potential than SEXXY ever will coming from a band that falls under the category of "alternative rock". However, SEXXY doesn't seem to be becoming the kind of runaway hit single elektra needs to let them release another single, so FS may be the second straight TMBG album with only one single released from it:< And just my opinion on the darn homosexual union thread: ENOUGH!! I'm quite liberal, and love to blab about my political opinions, but this is list for they might be giants. Hence, the name TMBG-list@tmbg.org. And no, I'm not one of those "NOTHING BUT TMBG ON THIS LIST!!!! EVER!!!!!" people, but I think this discussion has goten way, waaaaay out of hand. There are many excellent political discussion groups on the net. Sorry to anyone I offended. Bye. -- "It's OK to be afraid when the blue spark hits your brain"-Talking Heads Jonah, not done and won't be till his head falls off ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:59:55 -0800 (PST) From: ".o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o." Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Ekul Hpesoj Nevets wrote: > On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Juliet wrote: > > > On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, .o0O-Gr3f1n-O0o. wrote: > > > > > morality.. government.. society.. is this a joke to which i forgot the > > > punchline? > > > > No... =) But don't worry about it. Living ruling up the most capable- > > me. =) > > > > Sincerely, > > Your Ruler- Supreme High Empress Helen =) > > > > WoWoo! They finally link! The two threads are one! Yeah! > the two are one.. but, alas they are diffrent.. just ook at the topic :) and juliet.. fine you win! self-indulgent grandure is the pick'o'the'day!! enjoy.. and one more thing... try to stop all the wars huh? now.. to add some tmbg content into this... i just got the S~E~X~X~Y single and love it! senseround is wonderful. i got the 5 song version!! from fred meyers none the less! also, my mother in law says the cd is good.. so, alas... remember eating to many advil is a sign of stress! (juliet- if you ever need a vacation Eris of Discord, would be a good substitute) one more thing!! the #'s deal.. constellation... 1,1,1,ect,1,2,3,ect..1,1,get the point :) 32 footsteps..(3+2=5 the discordian number) 17 the letters in "they might be giants" :) the semi-ruler-of-everything Grefin,COIE,SC,SET,GC,KSC,POEE priest. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 15:04:22 -0600 From: Danny Jones It's interesting to me that some of the discussion here recently has evolved into something I've already been thinking about for a while now, namely recurring topics in TMBG songs. I'm not sure that ANY topic occurs as often as musical bands. Here are some off the top of my head: db's, Young Fresh Fellows, Dirt Bike, XTC, Adam Ant, and of course They Might Be Giants (on Flood). There are others. Trains show up several times (e.g., Turn Around, Mrs. Train, Lucky Ball and Chain) Presidents (My Evil Twin, Number 3, James K. Polk, and more) St. Peter and Hangman have each shown up a couple of times, at least. Sometime when I have more time than sense I intend to list out the topics that show up in more than one song. Danny ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:08:29 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Politica Etcetera... On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Ununoctium U. Ununoctium wrote: > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 03:41:36 EST > From: "Ununoctium U. Ununoctium" > Subject: TMBG: Politica Etcetera... > > On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:26:09 -0500 (EST) Joshua Hall-Bachner > writes: > > >they were protecting their religious institutions, > >after all. One's rights cannot infringe on someone else's, PERIOD, and > that > >is what denying gays the right to marry does. > > Okay, the one thing I'm wondering is, since when did marriage > become a *right*. Is marriage in any way protected in the constitution? > The way I see it, marriage is a legal contract *based* upon an old > religious ceremony, joining a man and a woman, in several, if not most, > religions. Now, assuming this is based on an old religious (and therefor > crucified among the ranks here) belief, why would gays want to have a > part in this particular ceremony? If it is just about tax reasons and > such, are they really interested in being married, or do they just want > the tax breaks, I mean really... You can all flame me as conservative > boy now... Harry Browne for president... Marrage, as you have asserted is a *rite*. However, due to the wall of seperation between Church (Oops...I almost wrote Chrysler...too much time on the AMC-L) and State, the marrage laws should have never been implemented. Unless you deny people their citizenship because they're gay, you cannot deny them rights. If the Defense of Marriage Act withstands a court challenge, I will seriously consider changing citizenship. I personally cannot believe that America is so full of bigots. I am not gay, BTW, just a man of principals, unlike anyone in Washington. > > >Frankly, it's none of their fucking business who I sleep with, what > drugs I > >do, or which God(s) I choose to worship (or not to worship) unless I > *make* > >it their business. Agreed to an extent, especially with the sleep part, but I disagree about the drugs. I feel that employers have the right and responsibility to make sure that their employees aren't doing drugs, if that is the company policy. I do not believe that the Government has a role in the drug situation. Employers *should* be able to discriminate against possible employees anyway they choose, just as I am able to discriminate as to whether I choose to pay for their goods or services. No, I am not a drug user or a racist before you start on me. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "My cat's breath smells like cat food."--Ralph Wiggum ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:21:07 PST Subject: TMBG: Say. . . From: hallie.p@juno.com (Hallie B Pritts) I'm going to the Pittsburgh show tomorrow and am wondering if They're doing a free show anywhere beforehand. Email me personally saying yes and the ever-important when and where if you'd like to make me very happy. Hallie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:51:05 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Danny Jones wrote: ** I'm not sure that ANY topic occurs as often as musical bands. Here are ** some off the top of my head: db's, Young Fresh Fellows, Dirt Bike, XTC, ** Adam Ant, and of course They Might Be Giants (on Flood). There are ** others. [Ed: Replacements, Alice Cooper, Phil Ochs, Marvin Gaye, Bacharach & David (sp?), MDC, Menudo, Eurythmics, Primus, Bon Jovi (sorta).] [Ed: Also, Stompbox was a band, correct? But I don't think Dirt Bike was. Regardless, I doubt either of these songs are about the bands themselves.] ** ** Presidents (My Evil Twin, Number 3, James K. Polk, and more) ** ** St. Peter and Hangman have each shown up a couple of times, at least. "More proof that TMBG is trapped in a world of pop culture references." Or something like the same. "A man of culture reference." (From the World's Address remix, if I understand it correctly). RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:52:12 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: >Also, as I was finding the car themes, I noticed the line "pour the poison in >my ear" in Stomp Box. Could that be an allusion to Hamlet? If you're interested, you can check out the interp archive over at tmbg.org. If you look under "Stomp Box", you will find an account of the _Hamlet_ connection, written by yours truly, who went by "nnicole" in those days. cha-cha for now, --nnicole the wonder nerd who is a bit rushed because she has to move out of her dorm today... *** "Every Christmas card I write has been stolen..."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: TMBG: boston show, chords Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:10:34 EST could someone post the list for the boston show? also, for xmas, i'm making my sister, who's just learning guitar a tmbg chord book...i printed out some of the chords from tmbg.org and drew pictures on the tops of them and made a cover and then got the front and back pages laminated and the whole thing bounded..it's pretty cool but i was wondering if any one figured out the chords for nightgown of the sullen moon, the famous polka, when it rains, we want a rock, mammal, statue, i should be allowed to think, no one knows my plan, or meet jms ensor? if anyone has, can you either post it or send it to me personally? thanks a lot, jan. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:21:17 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Don't Let's Start Don't Let's Start using song titles as subject lines... It doesn't help any as to figuring out what the actual subject of the message is. Anyway... >thought is this: Wouldn't it be a neat idea to have given S-E-X-X-Y ep's to >commercial stations, and TMHFO to alterna-stations? Because there are some >crappy stations that are too "modern rock" oriented to play S-E-X-X-Y, yet, I >bet TMHFO would get a lot of airplay. Or maybe that's the next single, and >they're trying from every angle, one at a time. Yeah. Or how about SenSurround? was it on any radio promos? I think that would have made a good single (that is, if it had been on the album, where it should have been.) Gay Marriages: Stop now. I have no opinion. Religion: I have no religion as yet. You're born, you live, you die. There might be something in there that I missed, but no one knows for sure... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: jting@MIT.EDU Subject: non-TMBG: freak flags Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:26:26 EST here's something i found in december's issue of skiing mag...it's not really related, but it's sort of interesting anyways... Super Freak "When in the course of human events it comes time for each individual to stand upon their personal peak and shout, "I am the freak that I am," the raw spiritual power lying dormant in these mountains will surge forth and raise our collective consciousness to a level never before imagined." So begins the first issue of _Mountain Freak_, a homegrown magazine and soul vehicle based in Telluride, Colorado. The cover depicts a lone skier, buck naked except for his skis and pack.* "The title refers to the reason a lot of us moved out here," explains editor Matt Lewis. "It says,'You have no place in mainstream society, and I am right there with you.'" * The zine, which counts world-class Alpinist Charlie Fowler and big-time ski photographers Ace Kvale, T.R. Youngstrom, and Doug Berry among its contributors, celebrates what Lewis dubs the "uniform dirtbag culture" shared by ski towns. * Printed on hemp paper, _Mountain Freak_ tongue-in-cheekily chronicles that culture in "The Continuing Adventures of the Silver Couch Surfer," a fictional serial in which a free-heeled quasi-super hero poaches tree shots on 223-cm tele boards and helps his slacker friends seek out stashes of powder (and other euphoria-inducing substances). * "It's definitely a labor of love," says Lewis. "We haveen't made a penny." No worries, though: "The richest man in the world can never buy the happiness of the poor and the free," explains Lewis. Spoken like a true ski bum. To subscribe, call 970-729-0772. -Mark North ok, so it didn't have ANYTHING to do with them...but you must admit that the title was pretty cool..super freaksicle (sp?)?... the first sentence sounds quite like freakflag etc....and the mainstream comment and we all try to help our friends find "euphoria inducing substances...tmbg songs? and, tmbg doesn't make too much..labor of love stuff... i put in the number just in case any of you were interested...jan. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG: boston show, chords Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:34:49 -0500 (EST) I have some chords all formatted and ready for the web site that I'm going to try real hard to get up tomorrow. Look for a few other minor web site changes tomorrow as well. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:46:08 EST >It's interesting to me that some of the discussion here recently has >evolved into something I've already been thinking about for a while >now, >namely recurring topics in TMBG songs. Okay, here's more: lighthouses: Birdhouse, Absolutely Bill's Mood vehicles: Dirtbike, End of the Tour, Self Called Nowhere, AKA Driver -- this was listed before body parts: Hall of Heads, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes, She's an Angel outer space: The Guitar, For Science, Nightgown, She's an Angel, WDTSS? That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else. Way down inside of me, I can feel it coming back. Maybe I'll remember more after some Tostitos chips and salsa and a game or seven of Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail CD-ROM. Well, off to go play Knights in Kombat and Spank the Virgin. java.man ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:05:45 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: about gay marriage Organization: West Virginia Network this is for whomever (list members, or just churches opposing gay marriage in general) answer me two things about gay marriage and you might change my mind 1. has any husband and wife divorced because in their town a man and a man got married? ie do heterosexual couple fall apart as a result of homosexual marriage 2. if gay marriage is so vehently opposed why isnt shellfish? in the bible i belive, leviticus on one page it says something about man and man lying together, o-err later on in the passage it says something about nor should man eat shellfish. i have not heard of any major religous faith organizing a boycott against red lobster therefore making them hypocrites..... if either of these can be explained i will give my position that it doesnt matter some serious thought sam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 19:37:14 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: and i quote Yes, I'm still here, lurking.. but I just wanted to briefly comment on the gay marriages thread. I think the best quote I ever heard dealing with this is by Michael Stipe. "It's nobodys business what I do with my (bleep) unless they're sitting in my lap." Thats my stance. I have absolutely no problem with it, many of my best friends are gay. I don't think it should matter that much. bluebird of friendliness ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: An attempt at a better web site. Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 19:57:02 -0500 (EST) I have just made some _major_ updates to how lyrics, chords, and interps are served up on the web site. Hopefully this change will result in a speedier responce for you, and less load on the web site. Please, if you see anything even remotely wierd with the lyrics, chords or interps e-mail web@tmbg.org with a report so we can get it corrected. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 20:38:47 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Power Rangers Testimonial Dinner Just got Power Rangers Soundtrack and XTC: A Testimonial Dinner today here's some thoughts... SenSurround: Hmm... odd... Slower than the SEXXY version. I like it faster. The Ba-Ba thing: strange... doesn't transition well. I like the funky thing on the SEXXY EP better. Still a great song, it's just that it got better with time :) 25 O'Clock: Wow. Cool. Psychedelic. Not a song They would think up themselves, tho. boths songs are number nine on the CD... That's all... -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 20:43:46 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Delurking to announce: I am going to the Rochester show!!! Mind you,my sister and I are doing the bus thing to GET to Rochester, and staying over night, and it's going to be expensive, but hey, it's THEY! And boy, is it worth it. Anywho, if whoever's organizing the gettogether they day of the show, my sister and I are interested. So email me at soulfire@cgicafe.com (not here, I don't check this addy everyday) and let me know! (happy sigh) This makes work worthwhile.. Beth (who should really learn how to drive, so she can roadtrip to many TMBG shows. That and she's too old to NOT know how. :) ) <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:28:19 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: if you've got a secret boy...FORGET ABOUT IT!!! In a message dated 96-12-13 14:33:56 EST, uhjchipman@LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU (Juliet) writes: > That's all it is folks. regardless of what ytou personally think of > homosexuality, it is not the government's place to enforce morality- that > is society's place. How can society enforce morality without the local, state, federal governments' help? Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:48:51 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Chalkhills Hey, someone please mail me about this (not the list): Is Chalkhills like this list (individual messages) and just digested for archive purposes, or just digested? Also: I think tmbg.org mail/news section should have a brief etiquette section like chalkhills does. It wouldn't really need to be changed all that much... http://reality.sgi.com/relph/chalkhills/style.html -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:08:48 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Tribute Tape Web Site Hey Listies! I have just erected a web site devoted to the cover comp tape, information on how to send me your submissions are there, as well as a current listing of who mailed me and what they're interested in. -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:44:12 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Sabrina I just watched that "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" or whatever it's called. I've never seen it before, but that is the Clarissa girl, right? Or am I confused? Anyway, I thought this conversation was, well, interesting: They had a dinner guest with this sailor-type outfit, complete with hat, and Sabrina says she wants to know everything about him. He says: "I was born in a light house..." Someone else: "A light house? In Nebraska?" Sailor guy: "It explains the hat." Born in a light house AND unusual hats in the same scene? Has anyone else *ever* watched this show and seen possible TMBG references? It wasn't enough to make me decide to watch the show weekly, but it was pretty cool. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ Yes I'm your angel I'll give you everything in my magic power so make a wish and I'll let it come true for you tra la la la -cub --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-342 ******************************