Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-343 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 343 Sunday, 15 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo TMBG: Tribute Site TMBG: more explantion of my stance Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Re: TMBG: Religion (or lack thereof) Good Bye TMBG: Can't say it's been real, or fun, and TMBG: NEW CHORDS Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo TMBG: I was born in a lighthouse, my mother was the sea.. Some-TMBG: 187 with ma fist in yo mouth TMBG: Rochester attendees (update) Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo TMBG: Re: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) TMBG: Re: 9:30 Club Show (Lurkers Awaken) TMBG: 15 track FS TMBG: Lo and Behold TMBG: Next single? Re: TMBG: Re: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) TMBG: Metropol show... Re: TMBG: Next single? Re: TMBG: Metropol show... TMBG: o wondrous day TMBG: Pittsburgh Show! Re: TMBG: o wondrous day, and Moshing Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Date: Sat, 14 Dec 96 01:45:50 -0600 From: Danny Jones Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> thrust these words upon us: >On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Danny Jones wrote: > >** I'm not sure that ANY topic occurs as often as musical bands. Here are >** some off the top of my head: db's, Young Fresh Fellows, Dirt Bike, XTC, >** Adam Ant, and of course They Might Be Giants (on Flood). There are >** others. [Ed: Replacements, Alice Cooper, Phil Ochs, Marvin Gaye, >Bacharach & David (sp?), MDC, Menudo, Eurythmics, Primus, Bon Jovi (sorta).] >[Ed: Also, Stompbox was a band, correct? But I don't think Dirt >Bike was. Regardless, I doubt either of these songs are about the bands >themselves.] Great additions there, Ryan. As for Dirt Bike being a band, well, it was reported here (among other places) when John Henry came out that the Dirt Bike was a band. While I've never heard of that band, it makes a lot of sense. "They're over their sophomore slump..." What is the song about if not a band? Why is the Dirt Bike called "they"? I'll go with it being a band unless I hear a better explanation. * * * Thanks for the article about Brave Combo that mentioned TMBG. Brave Combo is a wonderfully fun band... one of my favorites. Danny ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 03:59:48 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Tribute Site I wrote earlier: > Hey Listies! > I have just erected a web site devoted to the cover comp tape, > information on how to send me your submissions are there, as well as a > current listing of who mailed me and what they're interested in. Oh, dumbass me forgot to put the URL here, http://tmbg.home.ml.org -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 08:43:02 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: more explantion of my stance Organization: West Virginia Network my point was that the quote used in most arguement is from the same section of t he bible (leviticus i believe) where the shellfish law is. now what i didnt make clear is that the bible specifically say man laying with man is an abombination and also says that the eating of shellfish is an abombination. Now if the bibl e equates these two as equal (there are not two seperate definitions of this wor d according to the local rabbi) then the christain coalition should be oraganizi ng nationwide boycotts of lobster shrimp or whatever else sam :) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 09:32:30 -0500 (EST) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Dec-96 TMBG: TMBG recurring themes.. by Danny Jones@earthlink.ne > As for Dirt Bike being a band, well, it was reported here (among other > places) when John Henry came out that the Dirt Bike was a band. While > I've never heard of that band, it makes a lot of sense. "They're over > their sophomore slump..." What is the song about if not a band? Why is > the Dirt Bike called "they"? I'll go with it being a band unless I hear > a better explanation. From the Good Morning America appearance they did in 1994, they played Dirt Bike and said that the Dirt Bike was a cult moving through the town. Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "These seconds when I'm shaking leave me | Jason Riek shuddering for days" -Counting Crows | Carnegie Mellon University _____________________________________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu Seek the Ultimate Plaid! | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 11:19:11 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Religion (or lack thereof) I am afraid I have to agree with Kevin. Although we cannot help STARTING the thread, we don't have to go on and on about it. Or even if we do have to go on and on about it, lets not use the list. I know I will probably get a ton of mail about, "We can't discuss religion, so I guess we can't discuss Kiss Me, Son of God" or "Who appointed you Supreme high dictator over list moderation?" But please, don't clutter up list space once the subject has ABSOLUTELY no tie-in to TMBG. Even a little off-the-topic discussion about other bands is alright (with me, supreme high dictator of the list :) ) since this is a music mailing list. And it sure is better than 50,000 messages about gay marriage, which all started with Phil Ochs and Marvin Gaye. Well, that's all I have to say 'bout that. Guava Boy9 ------------------------------ Subject: Good Bye TMBG: Can't say it's been real, or fun, and From: ununoctium@juno.com (Ununoctium U. Ununoctium) Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:09:53 EST Hey Kids, Aside from a select few, no one here particularly cares about this, but I will go on anyway. Until sometime after Christmas of this year, I will unsubscribe from this list and remove myself from the Internet in general. I have come to this decision after becoming severely behind in my school work. I will still check both of my e-mail addresses twice daily, for those interested. Do not expect any updates of my website at http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ until long after this time, but do check out http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/poetry/ (The Evil Poetry Club) as it has been recently updated and as an update may be coming in the near future. I will not be available at Utopia Parkway again for a very long time, so if you want to talk to me, semi-in-person, come to blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 tonight. *------------------------------------------------------------------------ Once I was But am no more So it goes *------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: NEW CHORDS Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:57:55 -0500 (EST) I'd like to thank Tom McGonegal who sent in a bunch of formatted chords which I have just gotten up on the web site. Included are favories like SEXXY and AKA Driver, as well as many others. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:31:49 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Danny Jones wrote: > Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> thrust these words upon us: > >On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Danny Jones wrote:> > As for Dirt Bike being a band, well, it was reported here (among other > places) when John Henry came out that the Dirt Bike was a band. While > I've never heard of that band, it makes a lot of sense. "They're over > their sophomore slump..." What is the song about if not a band? Why is > the Dirt Bike called "they"? I'll go with it being a band unless I hear > a better explanation. > > Dirt Bike is not about a band, if I remember correctly. About two years ago, right after John Henry was released, They made an appearance on Good Morning America, and They played Dirt Bike. I do believe this is on Russ Josephson's video compilation, if you want to check it out for yourself. Anyway, before they played it, the host asked what is was about. Flans said that is was about a religous cult sweeping the nation, and a kid describing what it's like to get caught up in the cult. So there you go. J, the Mysterious "Babool, Babool" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:14:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I was born in a lighthouse, my mother was the sea.. >A married woman called up the Don & Mike show and said she >would have sex with Dennis Murphy (really stupid guy) just to >get a Tickle Me Elmo doll for her son. What is this world >coming to? It was funny tho ;) Yeah, i was listening to Dr Joy Brown (gotta love those psych-shows) and they had on a commercial for Don and Mike, and the guy that does Elmo's voice was on, and they told him to say that he was pissed off, and he was like "I can't!" (still in Elmo voice) and finally he said "I'm pissed off." Hee hee... >This year I got to see They Might Be Giants in concert ANd >BareNaked Ladies in concert. For BNL, I was on the FRONT >ROW. Hee hee, i saw BNL too, front row also. And I'm seeing TMBG in a couple of weeks, unless something goes insanely wrong. >Don't Let's Start using song titles as subject lines... It doesn't >help any as to figuring out what the actual subject of the >message is. Oh come on! Sometimes there's more than 1 topic in the email, and it won't all fit in the subject header, believe me; i know. eh, it's not total TMBG, don't hit me.. ::ducking:: ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:45:01 -0500 (EST) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Some-TMBG: 187 with ma fist in yo mouth I got my FS poster back from the art store today. I got it dry-mounted. It looks really cool! :) I was at the music store today, and I saw planet squeezebox for like 50 bucks. I decided not to get it. Then as I was looking through some collections, I saw the dr. demento 25th anniversary set. I checked just for the hell of it and sure enough... particle man was the first track on the second disc. I also saw vinyls of absolutley free by frank zappa (25$!!!) and a singles collection by XTC. but I had no money so I put it in the back in hopes that no one will take it. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:43:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Rochester attendees (update) Okay, as I promised, I would post the list of people coming here for the Rochester show once in a while till the show. Here's the newly revised one: me Mike Wood Fransburgh Todd Kluss Robert Mootrey u Harlan Landes and friends Josh Hall-Bachner Wyatt Glodell Nathan Todd Beth Connell Robin Connell If you are coming, and are not on this list (neglected to tell me? just got tickets?), email me and I will add you. Need a map showing the general location of Water St? I want to know how many to make before I make copies (save myself a couple trips). I still want to contribute in organizing a pre-show get together deal, but as far as I know, nothing is planned as definite. Any suggestions? Josh?? Hee hee, I'll be the 5'2" (short, I know....) brunette in the TMBG snowman shirt with my mum and 6 year old sister (can't avoid sharing good music, I'm sure I'm sorry). ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Date: Sat, 14 Dec 96 19:35:13 -0600 From: Danny Jones >Dirt Bike is not about a band, if I remember correctly. About two years >ago, right after John Henry was released, They made an appearance on Good >Morning America, and They played Dirt Bike. I do believe this is on Russ >Josephson's video compilation, if you want to check it out for yourself. >Anyway, before they played it, the host asked what is was about. Flans >said that is was about a religous cult sweeping the nation, and a kid >describing what it's like to get caught up in the cult. So there you go. That's good to know. I remember hearing here on the list that it was about a band. I don't know what the ultimate source was. Maybe Flans changed what it was about after it was written! (Wouldn't be the first time, some would say!) I wonder how the phrase "I hear they're over their sophomore slump" applies to a cult. Makes some more sense with a band... but you are not the 1st to email this, so I'll go with it. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 20:46:47 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) Bob Plass wrote: > 1) 9:30 Club show - I will be there, as will my sweetie, Lauren. > We'll be easy to spot, look for a guy with an adorable redhead > hanging off of him. Please feel free to find us and say "Hello!" > Don't know what I look like? There's a picture of me somewhere > at http://www.sunyopt.edu/suny/studorg/svosh.htm . Who else is going to the 9:30 club concert on the 27th? Let's make a list like they did for the Rochester show. -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:16:23 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeff Scanlon, Jr." Subject: TMBG: Re: 9:30 Club Show (Lurkers Awaken) On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Mismirilda wrote: > > 1) 9:30 Club show - I will be there, as will my sweetie, Lauren. > Who else is going to the 9:30 club concert on the 27th? > Let's make a list like they did for the Rochester show. As of now I'm planning on going, though I have not ordered my tickets yet. I'm interested in planning some sort of pre-show gathering, so anyone who's going e-mail me, please. So far I know of these people that are going: Bob Plass and Lauren Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:46:19 -0800 From: jimmath@ix.netcom.com (James W Mathews) Subject: TMBG: 15 track FS Hi everyone, I recently found a FS import or something and all I know is that it is 15 tracks long (description says "15 trax-2 extrax). I cost over $40 dollars though, so If anyone has it, please tell me what the songs are. thanks, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 22:59:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Lo and Behold Okay, true story. Today I was at Media Play, supposed to be doing my Christmas Shopping, but I couldn't resist buying myself some stuff. So I'm cruising through the CD sections, when I notice the single area. I scan it for the S-E-X-X-Y single, but I can't find it. I did, however, pick up two new REM singles (awesome.). So, feeling dejected, I'm wandering around, moping, when Lo and Behold, there are 3 copys of the S-E-X-X-Y single, on tape. So I grabbed one, feeling semi-satisfied. Still feeling down, because it's only the 3-song one, I decide that the store just didn't put all of the CD singles out, and there MUST be some, somewhere (evil clerks, you know). So I go to the computer to try a search, but it is being used. Nearby is one of those listening booths, and I look at the list, and Lo and Behold, one of the choices is "They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom" VICTORY!!! So I figure I'll put it on the TMBG, and somehow bust the buttons, so all they can listen to is TMBG. But it was already on TMBG!! VICTORY!!! There is someone else within 20 thousand million miles of me who likes Them!!! What a day!!! YAY!!! Yippie!!! Oh, yeah, I bought another copy of the single for my friend for Christmas. a very elated Guava Boy9. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 23:16:01 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Next single? Is there any news on a second FS single? Also, has anything been announced if any of the Then bonus tracks will be released as singles? Thanks, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:22:35 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Stuff (Great subject, huh?) What I am about to say is lame and I can only hope that people will take it in the good way I intend it to be. I am subscribed to the tmbg-list because I would rather receive messages separately so that I can filter out the subjects of no interest to me, such as pre-show info of shows I cannot attend. I hope to achieve this by reading the subject line and quickly determining if a given message is of interest to me. This is a great system and the only thing standing in my way are subjects that are not descriptive of the message such as this message here. While I do not recieve an overwhelmingly large number of messages daily, it would still be a taxing excercise to read every one, so more often than not I am deleting messages with subject lines which are not descriptive of their content. Messages subjects are not always an easy thing and oftentimes I myself am unsure of what a good description of the body of the message would be. Of most difficulty are messages that have several subjects as this original message may very well have had. What is to be done in such cases? I recomend splitting the message up into several messages and giving each one an appropriate subject. Thank you for your time, -- kirill ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 23:24:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Metropol show... I just got back from the show at Metropol in Pittsburgh, and... well.... the music was good. The audience sucked badly. I arrived at Metropol at about 5:30, which was phenomenally early because they didn't open the gate until 6:30, but I was pretty much first in line, and we heard their sound check of Twisting, Counterfeit Faker (really slow version) and part of The Guitar. The opening act apparently had to cancel because of illness, so we were all just standing around for about an hour, and then, finally, at 8:30, TMBG came out onto the stage, as Lady is a Tramp ended... They then proceeded to play, in order: James K. Polk Sleeping in the Flowers Metal Detector XTC vs Adam Ant Don't Let's Start Pet Name Counterfeit Faker How Can I Sing Like a Girl? Your Own Worst Enemy Spider The Guitar Ana Ng Meet James Ensor Maybe I Know Birdhouse in Your Soul S-E-X-X-Y Spy NyQuil Driver (something strange that I can't identify) Istanbul No One Knows My Plan Till My Head Falls Off Dig My Grave ------ Older Why Does the Sun Shine? Particle Man New York City Now for my comment about the audience... they didn't need to push so much. I got crushed against a metal barrier on the left side near the front, and that was *not* comfortable. It was fine up until Don't Let's Start... I wish one of them had said something, but I guess they didn't mind - they even encouraged the conga line for No One Knows My Plan (some of you may have seen me during that - I made an effort to prop myself up on a ledge and sat there scared half to death of getting crushed) John Linnell did much more talking than he usually does at shows. He introduced most of the first few songs, and seemed very into the show - he moved around a lot more than usual and tried to get the audience involved in parts... I was kind of disappointed that they didn't play anything pre-Flood besides the two usual songs... they commented about playing at the Electric Banana for 30 people 10 years ago before they played Don't Let's Start. Other songs I expected but didn't hear were They Got Lost, Snail Shell, and Twisting... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 23:28:00 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Next single? At 11:16 PM 12/14/96 -0500, you wrote: >Is there any news on a second FS single? > >Also, has anything been announced if any of the Then bonus tracks will be >released as singles? rumors of UMHFO or NYC... Then bonus tracks as singles for Then, you mean? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 23:57:44 -0500 (EST) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: TMBG: Metropol show... the metropol show was definitely not one of the best I've been to. (and it was my, uh, seventh show now. Funny, I started this year at a TMBG show and I'm kinda ending it at one, too, since I go home from CMU tomorrow.) The crowd wasn't actually as bad as I expected them to be; last time I saw Them there (3/23/95) there was a lot more of people trying to crowd-surf and stuff; and i came home with tons of elbow-bruises and covered in lots of sweat that wasn't my own. ugh. This time I managed to stand (right behind Lawrence, incidentally) over by the side and escaped relatively unscathed and was able to see both of the Johns for the entire show. oh, and for those who're wondering who I am: I was the chick wearing the apollo 18 shirt with the shoulderlength black hair. A few years ago that would have described many people; strangely enough I was the only person I saw there with that shirt! anyway, I thought a lot of the songs were pretty flat without a horn section. that was my main complaint about the show musically. There also seemed to be a few times that they were kinda off-key from each other; but it seemed like some of it may have actually been on purpose. The things they did musically well were mostly in arrangement; the combination of Ana Ng and The Guitar was pretty well done, and I liked when Linnell transposed Particle Man into a minor key, that was pretty funny. Also, Flans singing random seventies disco hits in his falsetto was pretty cool. It was sort of surprising that they did Maybe I Know in the middle of the show, and if i recall correctly he played it on the keyboard instead of on the accordion (I couldn't really see at that point, but it sounded like it). Oh, and Linnell conducting the improv at the end of Spy was fantastic, he did a wonderful job of it and actually smiled fully (showing his teeth.. is it just me or does he almost never show his teeth when he smiles?) the set, while obviously promoting FS, and done pretty well for that purpose, was also a little lacking for me. I would have liked to hear Sensurround again, or the new Hotel Detective, or even Exquisite Dead Guy - I didn't like that a lot of this show was mostly synth and guitar. (waaaaaayyyyy too much guitar.) Wanted more vocals. More harmonies. oh, and is the girl with the "They Might Be Alligators" t-shirt reading this list? i'm just curious. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:08:16 PST Subject: TMBG: o wondrous day From: hallie.p@juno.com (Hallie B Pritts) I just got back from the Pittsburgh show. Besides the fact that they started an hour and 15 minutes late, it was really great. Flans did a lot of falsetto stuff. They played Spider. Really great. The conga line was attempted, but there was a lot of violent mosh-like stuff going on, so it only succeeded in smashing people in different directions. I started out in the very front where I had an excellent view of Linnell, but as soon as they played their second song, Don't Let's Start, I began to lose that position. I soon realized that it was either jump with the crowd or be digested by the masses. Linnell did his conducting and it was amazing. The show was wonderful overall, but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't play Exquisite Dead Guy or She's an Angel. The other guitarist was wearing a very small Patti Smith shirt. I found that interesting. I'd like to commend the guy with the mohawk who , using super-human strength, held back the crowd so another guy could find his glasses without being bludgeoned by many feet. Was the moshing so , um, vigorous at the other concerts? I hadn't expected that. It was okay after I got over the initial shock, but, wow. The Johns looked slightly confused during some of the surges, but maybe that's just them. Oh, yes. They played a very fast version of WDTSS and a slightly off version of Istanbul for an encore. The show was well worth the hour and a half wait outside, the two hour wait inside, and convincing my friend and ride that there was no possible way that we could leave early. A bit bruised and beaten, but an ecstatically happy Hallie now leaves you. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 00:09:47 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show! My little brother and I have just returned from the greatest show! Highlights: *John Linnell making reference to the Electric Banana before and during Dom't Let's Start *They Played Ana Ng & DLS *I got a great boot, (no trades just yet, though) *Maybe I Know, Older, Counterfeit Faker! *Three Guitar Solos (W/Heavy Metal hand motions! :-)) It was a great show! Boba Out. -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Hannaboon@aol.com Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 00:14:23 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: o wondrous day, and Moshing Hmmm...at the Chicago show at the Riv, the mosh pit was much less violent than it's been at other They shows I've seen, although that isn't saying much. I congaed down into it from the balcony during "No One Knows My Plan," and although it was of a truly Tokyo-subway density, it was the single politest mosh pit I've ever been in. I didn't receive a single knock I interpreted as deliberate, and I even heard a few apologies being voiced as I was mushed this way and that. The show was mostly notable for the fact that they did not play Istanbul, even as an encore. This was my seventh live show, and it's the first time they've skipped it. This made me very happy. Still humming several weeks later, Hanna ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-343 ******************************