Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-345 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 345 Tuesday, 17 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: 930 Club TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG TMBG: Pittsburgh TMBG: Am I insane?-3rd Rock from the Sun... TMBG: I can hear you, words.... TMBG: Muppet-esque TMBG TMBG: 3rd Rock TMBG ref! TMBG: the best thing about NYC. . . TMBG: mountain stage RE: TMBG: obTMBG (in school) RE: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! Re: TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! Re: TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! TMBG: I never went to the tropical island TMBG: question for those who record concerts Re: TMBG: question for those who record concerts Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas TMBG: Plain Bad Luck TMBG: that yummy linnell.... :9~~ TMBG: i need info TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong Re: TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas TMBG: Re: free the Expo 67 and Cage and Aquarium TMBG: Oops. Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong Re: TMBG: question for those who record concerts Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show Details Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong TMBG: NASALLY (Is that a word?) TMBG: mtv Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 02:28:41 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: 930 Club For the person looking for 9:30 club info, most of it can be found at www.930.com (a site my company hosts, although didn't design). Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 03:15:01 -0500 From: MajorDomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:21:08 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: TMBG I know every other Australian will be excited, but so am I. JJJ are so great for playing all these TMBG songs!!! Hears a list of what I heard while I was at work today: Till My Head Falls Off Metal Detector New York City SEXXY Metal Detector How Can I Sing Like A Girl Man, that is good news. I feel big things are in the pipeline for an Australian tour!!! Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 07:41:40 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Pittsburgh > On what Boba said: It was Flans who talked about the Electric Banana No, it wasn't. I have it on tape. > On what Lawrence said: That unidentified thing that Flans sang was a > Madonna song, but I can't remember which one. Are you talking about at the end of AKA Driver? -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:36:02 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Am I insane?-3rd Rock from the Sun... Am I insane or did I hear, at the beginning when Dick was picking out the names of his secret santa out of the fishbowl, and he was reading off the names, did he say Flansburgh and Linnell? Or did I just have TMBG on the brain? I swear I heard him say Flansburgh, and I started to pay attention, then I swear to god I heard him say Linnell! Did anyone else notice this or tape it and can validate me? Oh, the one day I do not tape... *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! Banana! Banana!" smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 17:48:53 +0000 Subject: TMBG: I can hear you, words.... Could you please post the words of "I Can Hear You"? Since there were no printed words with the record, I'm a bit lost with my poor English... <----------------------------- jab - jarmo lundgren jab@pp.atlasnet.fi http://www.atlasnet.fi/yksityis/killrose/shafteng.htm haemeenkatu 24 e, 20700 turku, finland, europe 02-2505998 -------------------------------> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:02:24 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: Muppet-esque TMBG Hooray! My friend bought me the S.E.X.X.Y. single for Christmas! I would have already bought it if I weren't so broke, and if I hadn't given up searching after the, oh, third time it got postponed....but whatever. Anyway, we think that "I've Got a World That Swings" is very Muppetlike. Maybe it's just me, but I can see this as, like, the guest musical number on an episode of the Muppet Show. You know, Linnell sitting there on stage surrounded by Muppet critters...and of course, to truly work, there would have to be something chaotic about the whole thing, like maybe a swinging Earth ball in the background knocking stuff over & wreaking havoc while Linnell remains oblivious to it all. I can see it. :) Oh, and if anybody wants to hear the original Cub version of NYC, I have a link on my homepage to a page that has it. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:24:40 -0800 From: kathleen faulconer <" rocket88"@ix.netcom.com> Subject: TMBG: 3rd Rock TMBG ref! Well, Queen Sneepy, if you are insane...you aren't alone! My sister called 2 seconds after that scene and said "did you hear it? He said "Professor ---(?) I don't even know him!" then puts his hands back in the bowl and pulled out more names "Flansburgh, ----(?), Linnell,...." She was freaking out! We were all watching and didn't catch it! Geesh! DID someone tape it? Maybe we need to find the 3rd rock news group. I know there was a thread on The Simpsons having TMBG rererences in the past but my sisters friend has been a writer for that show since the begining and says nobody knows who They are....But this can't be a coincidence and you are not insane! Just thought you should know that :-)! Kathleen Queen Sneepy wrote: > > Am I insane or did I hear, at the beginning when Dick was picking out the > names of his secret santa out of the fishbowl, and he was reading off the > names, did he say Flansburgh and Linnell? Or did I just have TMBG on the > brain? I swear I heard him say Flansburgh, and I started to pay > attention, then I swear to god I heard him say Linnell! Did anyone else > notice this or tape it and can validate me? Oh, the one day I do not tape... > > *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ > Stefanie Elliott "Devil Bunny! I snort the nose, Lucifer! > Banana! Banana!" > smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu Satanic Debbie Boone in _Bloom County_ > > **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: awatve@emory.edu Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:45:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the best thing about NYC. . . Responding to Famous Name@aol.com:Goma18@aol.com: <> I have to agree--even though in an opposite way. I was completely in love when i left for the summer in New York. Staying there, calling and emailing my boyfriend completely colored my impression of the city. Even after seeing someone get mugged, people assaulting each other on the bus, and getting followed for blocks by a persistently obnoxious panhandler, I still love NY. So, the impression placed upon your mind by rosy-colored love (even long distance) can color your opinion of where you are. This song, for someone caught up in a "cheezy love story" and happening to be in New York, is completely true. I love the song because it manages to catch, right on the nose, a happy time in my life. I still feel like "everyone's my friend in New York City," and dream of going back soon(even though it'll have to be without the boyfriend :( (Actually, he was the one who first played the song for me--ironic, huh?) Oh, and the concert here in Atlanta last Sunday (12/8) absolutely rocked! I got smushed during the "conga line" and almost lost a shoe (yes, i wore sandals, i thought it would be safe--who knew?) It was my first TMBG concert ever and I hope to go to more next year. Does anyone know if They are playing in NYC in Feb? I heard a random rumor. Thanks. -- \\|// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Amy Watve.~~ awatve@emory.edu "Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself." --They Might Be Giants ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~~~~~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:03:07 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: mountain stage Well, I just got an obscene amount of money from my grandma for Christmas, so I decided to buy the Mountain Stage Live album that has them playing particle man live- It's pretty awesome. Can't say much for the rest of the songs though... Liam "Holy tuna, when you die, you're dead" ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: obTMBG (in school) Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 11:01:00 P So which music channels do play them more? ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG recurring themes & Brave Combo Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 11:01:00 P Actually, John F once said that Dirt Bike was about a religious cult sweeping through the nation. And how this kid is sitting around wondering what it would be like to get caught up in the cult. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 15:22:01 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, BOBA wrote: > > On what Boba said: It was Flans who talked about the Electric Banana > > No, it wasn't. I have it on tape. > Um, well, I guess I'm wrong but I could have sworn Flans started talking about playing in Pgh. nine years ago. > > On what Lawrence said: That unidentified thing that Flans sang was a > > Madonna song, but I can't remember which one. > >Are you talking about at the end of AKA Driver? > I'm not sure. When Lawrence posted the set list he wrote in one part "some unidentified song" or something like that. That's what I'm talking about. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 18:03:10 -0600 From: Danny Jones "Pooh Head Bucket?" wrote: >The following is a transcription of the pre-Dirtbike intro at the 4/28/93 >show >at the Count Basie Theatre, in Red Bank, NJ. > >"This is a brand new song about a fake rock band called 'Dirtbike.' This song >is in praise of the fake rock band 'Dirtbike.' It's called 'Dirtbike.'" > >...doesn't get much clearer than that. This was actually a fabulous show, >complete with a full-horn version of "Lullabye Of Nightmares." It gave me >much >joy. I wish my tape were of slightly higher quality... I'm glad to hear you say that. Except that I didn't actually *HEAR* you, but you get the point. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who understood this song to be about a band. That says two things to me: 1) The song *IS* arguably about a band. 2) Here is another example of TMBG changing their explanation of a song. Who knows what the song was originally meant to be about? Although the line "sophomore slump" makes more sense referring to a band than to a cult. Danny ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:18:35 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Danny Jones: >Who knows what the song was originally meant to be about? Although the >line "sophomore slump" makes more sense referring to a band than to a >cult. Ahh, but they never use the word "slump" in the song... -CB ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:26:07 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirtbike revealed! On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Danny Jones wrote: Whoever said that think about the Third Reich, that it awesome. I listended to Dirtbike today, and all I heard was Third Reich, not Dirtbike. You have completely changed the song for me... SJL Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:56:23 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island >Wait, guys.... Am I confused, or has Ununoctium been Ruprecht all this >time??? So I'm not the only person who didn't realize that? Although, I had to suspect it -- what with all the comments about how bad FS is. And, of course, Ruprecht's unique style, maddening yet somehow fascinating, drawing you in despite everything. :) >>I recomend splitting the message up into several messages and giving each >>one an appropriate subject. >Yeah, but then people get annoyed and say you should merge all your messages >together to slow down traffic... Personally, I merge all my messages, as you can see. I read the digest, as do many other people, and when you send a lot of tiny four line messages, you end up with a digest that has more header/sig text than actual message text. >In society today, it's pretty much unacceptable to give yourself oral sex, >and even more so to talk about it. A few questions: 1) How the heck did you come up with *that* example? 2) In this case obviously my friends are not "polite society." (Take that *however* you want...) 3) Since *you're* talking about it, does that mean we should shun you? (Consider this one big whopping smiley face for the entire segment above...) >But I don't quite see what the purple toupee thing is supposed to mean. I would assume it's a combination of the big hair (afros and etc.) so many people had in the sixties, and possibly the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Rain," since Jimi wore gold lame. Josh Aquarius, abandon hope for...future...plans /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: question for those who record concerts Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:38:02 -0500 what's a general rule about "where to stand" when trying to record the show? -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:35:08 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: question for those who record concerts >what's a general rule about "where to stand" when trying to record the show? Where there is no large person who will constantly shove you and knock into the recorder, or where there are no loud people screaming, "AAAAAAAANNNNNNNAAAAAAA NNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!" =================================-----Jeff Morrow-----================================== jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ========================================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:12:57 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island > >Wait, guys.... Am I confused, or has Ununoctium been Ruprecht all this >time??? Nope. Didn't occur to me, either. In retrospect, I can see his style coming through in Ununoctiom's posts though. Weird-ass. Someday we're going to find out that Ruprecht and Ununoctium were both secretly Elvis. Or maybe President Clinton. > >But I don't quite see what the purple toupee thing is supposed to mean. > > I would assume it's a combination of the big hair (afros and etc.) so many > people had in the sixties, and possibly the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Rain," > since Jimi wore gold lame. Ummmm, that sounds OK to me, and it's defenitely a possibility, but I think you mean "Purple Haze". Unless I'm confused, "Purple rain" was a prince song/album/something like that, and Purple Haze is Jimi Hendrix's classic contribution to misunderstood lyrics. "'scuse me while I kiss this guy"(not even intending to tie this to that darn gay marriage thread. And the real line is "Kiss the sky" for all those confused people out there. -- "It's OK to be afraid when the blue spark hits your brain"-Talking Heads BONUS QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Another anchorman's on the TV. He's got that faraway vacant look in his eye. I turn the channel but nothing's changing the only truth's that everything is lies."-Eels, "Mental" Jonah, feeling poorer every day ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:17:40 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas I need to find this song online, where can it be found? *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:53:35 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Plain Bad Luck Hello gang... just wanted to scribble off a few words about how BUGGED I am... ya see, this is my story... ... okay, I'm, like, twelve, and I hear my cousin's TMBG records for the first time... I am enraptured and enthralled but, as was typical when I was twelve, I stupidly didn't ask who they were. So I forgot about Them until a coupla years later... I move many miles away and make a friend who happens to have Flood... I listen to it once and then "borrow" it from him for about two months... I'm hooked... of course, I don't have any money and thus can't buy anything for myself... but it's all okay... anyway, while later I meet this WONDERFUL girl who gives me a few rides home... she's got this tape in her car... just a little tape she made herself of all her favorite songs... and she sez to me "Don't laugh at this next one; it's one of my favorites"... the song is a little ditty called "Sleeping In The Flowers"... I fall in love with it instantly... within a matter of weeks I have all Their albums... and she's my new gal... okay, my only gal... still my gal... ... anyway, here's where the "Bad Luck" part comes in... see, all the two of us want is to see Them... They do a show... we miss it... they play Taste of D.C.... meanwhile, a stupid little thing called High School... now They're coming to the 9:30 Club... but guess who's going to California the 19th?... so anyway, I just thought I'd go on for a while about nothing much and I'm sorry if I've bored anyone but isn't this the kind of story TMBG fans love to hear? Peace, Love, Lollipops, Bernie BTW If anyone tapes the 9:30 show I still need to get her a Christmas present!! :) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:59:17 -0500 Subject: TMBG: that yummy linnell.... :9~~ >Are all girls attracted to Linnell? Are they? Hee hee. I certainly am. I'll have to steal a MST3K quote here: "If you're like me, and I know I am.." But he's so gorgeous! How could you not love him??!?!? Oh man, what a short useless post! Ach well, just stating my linnelllove. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older..." ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:00:52 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: i need info Organization: West Virginia Network are they playing madison square garden new years eve? privately mud mail me. furthermore i still have this cursed poster. if anyone wants it just say something. (for trade of course) sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:06:08 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong It has been discussed that this song (by Wierd Al) was a Parody of Them, but I never beieved it. Then, as I sat down to listen to it today, I maid some connections: "I was driving...in the fast lane" AKA Driver "Crashed...bleedeing on the Ashalt" The End Of The Tour "Recognized the face of my Hibachi (or somethin like that) dealer" Turn Around (...my dance instructor...) "Prosthetic lips" We Want A Rock "Back is white, up is down, and short is long" Kinda like a referance to the frame of Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon. "Forget the words and sing along" Particle Man, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Your Racist Friend, Birdhouse In Your Soul. All songs that are so catchy that you can ignore the words and still love them. "Who looked like Jaimie Farr (or something like that)" Referances to obscure people. "Disembodied head of..." The whole Head thing... Then, polka stye accourdian comes on, nt really TMBG style, but accourdian none the less... Drum beat starts that s realy reminiscent of a TMBG song, which I can't place though. Then horns that do the same for me as the drums. Then a guitar, that again is like a TMBG parody, which song it reminds me of though I miss. "...mail..." Letterbox--Okay, a little stretch... "My evil twin" wel duh... "And I died..." Dead "...I'm n heaven with Saint Peter..." Road Movie To Berlin "...(something about a noisy Ice machiene for al eternity)" Dead Then, in the last refrain there Al does a harmony to himself much like every TMBG song made. So there ya go. Anyone care? Have anything to add? Any prblems with it? The only one I think may be wrong is the Sullen Moon one, as all referances seem to be Elektra releases (Flood, A18, and JH). SJL *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven J. Luke SteveL@tmbg.org Niagara University s0003483@monteagle.niagara.edu Biology Major Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:25:20 -0500 From: Pavlov Subject: Re: TMBG: We Just Go Nuts at Xmas Yea... its on ftp.tmbg.org/pub/songs/eps/ something.. or should be.. i can't log onto ftp.tmbg.org right this sec.. but should be aroudn there somewhere.. if not, i've got it locally... so let me know At 09:17 PM 12/16/96 -0500, you wrote: >I need to find this song online, where can it be found? > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- >Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG >tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Pavlov (Stuart Parmenter) You can find me on irc servers: | E-Mail: pavlov@innerx.net Atlanta.GA.US.EarthInt.Net | WWW: http://irc.innerx.net/pavlov Atlanta.GA.US.Some.Net | Atlanta.GA.US.Superchat.Org | "Experimental dog, Salivating dog, Good dog, dinner bell dinner bell do the bell thing, dinner bell dinner bell ring" They Might Be Giants - "Dinner Bell" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:58:03 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Re: free the Expo 67 and Cage and Aquarium I suppose > most of us here are too darn young to fully grasp many of the concepts in > this song. It's kind of like me bringing up Voltron with my younger > brother and his friends... > > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu Yeahhh! Voltron!!! I've got Voltron temporary tatoos that I found at a store which made me feel all spiffy and nostalgic. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Age of Aquarius and Cage and Aquarium are the same cause I can sing Age of Aquarius *slowly* along with Cage and Aquarium or do it the other way around signing Cage and Aquarium faster. Well, that's all. hadn't posted in awhile. Just a slight non-TMBG note. Anyone here play or have heard of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Trillian "Mitchell...high on the sammich! Mitchell, hearts pounding. Mitchell, veins clogging. MITCHELL! Wochachicka wochachicka."- MST3K ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:00:39 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Oops. Okay, maybe I was wrong about the Age of Aquarius/Cage and aquarium thing but the chorus of both can be sung pretty much interchangebly. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:21:23 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong >Drum beat starts that s realy reminiscent of a TMBG song, which I can't >place though. It reminded me of Purple Toupee, during the La-la part. > >The only one I think may be wrong is the Sullen Moon one, as all >referances seem to be Elektra releases (Flood, A18, and JH). > The title is a reference to Everything Right Is Wrong Again and the rhythm of the ending is the same as I Palindrome I and Your Own Worst Enemy. I think this is the only Weird Al song in which Al's lyrics aren't as funny as the song or songs that inspired it. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:29:43 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong In a message dated 96-12-16 22:05:51 EST, you write: << It has been discussed that this song (by Wierd Al) was a Parody of Them, but I never beieved it. Then, as I sat down to listen to it today, I maid some connections: ive said it before and ill say it again,the WHOLE song is a basic parody of TURN AROUND,the verse and chorus structure,and obviously the lyrics. most of your connections are good,but with the accordian,weird al has had accordian solos in his songs since his first album,so i dont think he "copied" that from tmbg. thank you...and GOODNIGHT! jordan ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: question for those who record concerts Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:37:11 -0500 (EST) > > what's a general rule about "where to stand" when trying to record the show? > I use a stereo microphone, so I'm generally torn between wanting to be centered between the speakers and wanting to stand in front of Linnell (although I honestly haven't noticed much difference in the outcome). The main thing I'd suggest is to try to be near the front (although moshers become a real problem there) and/or keeping the microphone as high as possible, because lots of bodies between the microphone and the sound source tends to muffle things. Recording from the balcony (where applicable) might work well, but I haven't tried it yet... m@t For me, *every* day of the week ends in, "Why?" ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:43:04 -0500 (EST) > Joshua Hall-Bachner writes: > > >But I don't quite see what the purple toupee thing is supposed to mean. > I would assume it's a combination of the big hair (afros and etc.) so many > people had in the sixties, and possibly the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Rain," > ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ Wrong big-haired guitarist... m@t For me, *every* day of the week ends in "Why?" ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: I never went to the tropical island Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:04:28 -0500 > > >But I don't quite see what the purple toupee thing is supposed to mean. > > I would assume it's a combination of the big hair (afros and etc.) so many > > people had in the sixties, and possibly the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Rain," > > Wrong big-haired guitarist... Or possibly wrong song title. Thinking "Purple Haze?" Is that right? Maybe off, haven't listened to Jimi in a while. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: Pittsburgh Show Details Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:49:33 -0500 (EST) > Renee L Grebe writes: > > it was definately linnell that took the show! he had GREAT eye contact > too!!! > Did he stare right at you through the entire show, by any chance...?;-) m@t For me, *every* day of the week ends in "Why?" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:41:36 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Everything You Know is Wrong Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: Everything You Kn.. by Jordan1c@aol.com > ive said it before and ill say it again,the WHOLE song is a basic parody of > TURN AROUND,the verse and chorus structure,and obviously the lyrics. most of > your connections are good,but with the accordian,weird al has had accordian > solos in his songs since his first album,so i dont think he "copied" that > from tmbg. Actually, musically it's more similar to SenSurround. The bridge is kind of similar to Purple Toupee, too. Weird Al is known to be a big TMBG fan - he's been spotted at shows, and one of his "Christmas wishes" on a promotional poster is "a shoehorn (the kind with teeth)," which cannot be anything other than a TMBG reference... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 01:02:58 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: NASALLY (Is that a word?) I was driving my mom around in the car, listening to TMBG, and she starts complaining about how Linnell's voice is too "nasally" and high-pitched. I then fast-forward to "Istanbul" and she starts complaining about how the "original version" was better. Didn't have that "nasally" voice, she said. Does anyone have a WAV file of the really old version of "Istanbul" by _The Four Freshman_ (or something like that.) Another thing, the "Something grabbed ahold of my hand" track on fingertips, was recently referred to in my presence as sounding like "Care Bears." I have nothing against Care Bears, but I found that really demeaning. It could be that the person shut the tape off and yelled "I dont wanna listen to FRICKIN Care Bears!" I personally think that that sounds nothing like Care Bears. -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire ^ ^ | | | | | | | | -------------That's not butter! ------------------------------ From: SAIDLER@uwplatt.edu Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:31:07 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: mtv HA HA The Johns were just on mtv for about five seconds! They were standing next to each other, and they said "Daaaaaa daaaaa!" How exciting! -Heather ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-345 ******************************