Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-348 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 348 Friday, 20 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: DEC 27, in DC TMBG: Ng TMBG: nobody's business but the turks Re: TMBG: tmbg/bnl TMBG: Jeopardy TMBG: The end of the tour. TMBG: BNL Re: TMBG: nobody's business but the turks TMBG: Clip from mtv TMBG: Ben Folds vs. Johns in no holds-barred grudge match?! TMBG: protix #s TMBG: House of Mayors Re: TMBG: Re: Jeopardy TMBG: I want my M2. :) And last call for rochester show! TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo Re: TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo Non-TMBG: Re: . TMBG: TMBG & Wonderstuff Non-TMBG: Elmo TMBG: "We've Got a World That Swings" Re: TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo TMBG: TMBG on the radio TMBG: Video games TMBG: Ha Ha to all of those punk ... TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk Re: TMBG: Ha Ha to all of those punk ... Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: DEC 27, in DC From: fuzzymonks@juno.com (Christopher R Sexton) Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 02:28:27 EST Is anyone going to the DC show on the 27th? Well does anyone know how to get tickets for this concert?? I am new to this "going to shows" I have never been to a real show, so if you know what you are doing and have advice respont to fuzzymonks@juno.com because I will not be able to read the normal e-mail untill after christmas. I'm you only friend, I'm not your only friend, -Chris ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 03:06:04 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: Ng > Well, I AM Chinese, but even I confess to having to resort to asking a > better Chinese expert: my father. Here's what he told me about the name > spelled "Ng": Hey, I'm sort of Chinese, but I didn't contribute to this discussion because I don't know jack. > If you meet a Chinese person with the name Ng, he/she is most likely > of Cantonese origin (for those who don't know, Chinese is spoken in many > Ng is the way this surname is spelled and pronounced in Cantonese. It > sounds more like "ung," but a thick-accented Cantonese person probably > could pronounce it "ing." However, the official pronunciation for this > name is supposed to be the same as the pronunciation for the number "five" > in Cantonese. That would be "ung." (To get even more picky, I could get Well, thanks for finally clearing that up. But the main thing here is that most people we would meet with the name Ng would be Asian Americans, so there's a high chance that they themselves don't pronounce their own names correctly. This would explain why in the actual song, it doesn't sound much like "ing" nor "ung". I once met a girl named Julie Ng who pronounced it the same way as in the song. And there's a guy named Lenny Ng- everyone seems to pronounce his name the same way as in the song. (In case you're wondering who he is, he's a living legend in the math competition community. I could go on and on about him, but I doubt anyone cares.) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: nobody's business but the turks From: weerez@juno.com (Kimberly A Cafuir) Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 06:12:02 EST I call myself a big TMBG fan even though I don't know much about them. Can some please tell me whose voice is whose (did I spell that correctly?)? Like who's the guy who sings Spy Plane? I know there are two Johns, I just don't know which is which.... Oh yeah, this is my first post, so I expect to come across as a big ditz. But that's okay. I'm a lot like you, so please =w=eezer Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting el scorcho - Kim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:15:58 From: pburge@gnn.com (King of Knowledge) Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg/bnl >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org > >Hi, >Chris (I think it was you) might be right in suggesting BNL at the >Roseland over TMBG who are merely opening for BT at Madison Square >gardens. I can only see a couple reasons why you'd see TMBG. One, you >are an ultra-diehard and would have to commit suicide if you went to BNL >instead ;) (hop there's nobody like that on here) or two, you really >like Madison Square Gardens, or wanna see Them in a huge arena like >that, possibly being in the nosebleed seats and confusing John Linnell >for the ant and John Flansburgh for the anteater. >BNL on the other hand is doing their own show at the Roseland which >probably is cheaper than a BT show. >I am curious, though, does anyone know the start time of these two >events? I'm trying to plan my timing out here, takes a while to get up to NYC. >Thanks, >Matt >-- I'm pretty sure the BNL show is at 8:45 NYE. I'm prety excited about going. How about a TMBG list meeting at a BNL show. What a hoot! KOK ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:19:45 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Jeopardy When I saw the category "The Sun" I thought, almost instantaneously, "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas..." And the World's fair question was almost too much. On Final Jeopardy my first impulse answer (incorrect, though) was Istanbul/ Constantinople. Now to complain about the questions about the sun... Anyone who's taken eighth grade science should have known the answer to every single question. I did and I'm only 15! How did they get away with putting such a blow-off category on a show that's supposed to be for genius-level adults???? And the kicker is that I think someone got one wrong!!!! Okay. Sorry for that. I feel better now (even though I'm stuck at home today with a nasty case of the flu and only my TMBG CDs to keep me company). ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 Quote of the Month: "You saw it, didn't you? You saw him repressing me? Help, help, I'm being repressed!" -Monty Python and the Holy Grail ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: The end of the tour. Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:20:20 -0500 (EST) Well, it's the end of my tour in Blacksburg, VA. Your lowly list admin will be moving north this weekend. I believe I have made all the proper arrangements for the web site and mailing list to continue to work, however this is your warning that if something goes wrong it will probably be tuesday or so before it gets fixed. Happy holidays. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: BNL Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:35:16 -0500 (EST) > I'm pretty sure the BNL show is at 8:45 NYE. I'm prety excited about going. How about > a TMBG list meeting at a BNL show. What a hoot! So chances are there is an opening band and BNL won't really get on until closer to 9:30 or 10? Anyone know? Thanks, Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:45:15 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: nobody's business but the turks >Can some please tell me whose voice is whose (did I spell that >correctly?)? Like who's the guy who sings Spy Plane? I know there are two For answers to these questions, check out the Who Sings What list. A link to it is on the main page at www.tmbg.org. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Clip from mtv Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 07:11:00 P I was sitting around watching mtv, and there was some new mtv contest. Well as the voice was explaining the contest, there were clips flying on the screen, and audio clips being run also. Well for about 5 seconds, I swear I heard Purple Toupee. You know in the begiinning. The little intro riff. Where the instruments are playing the vocal part of "purple toupee will show the way...". Maybe it was just an audio hallucination. Did any one else notice this??? Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 11:56:51 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Ben Folds vs. Johns in no holds-barred grudge match?! I've seen that post before. It's from the Ben Folds Five list (which is filled with good, good people I might add ;) Apparently there was a quick post somewhere by a foreign TMBG fan who mis-heard Ben Folds say something, then posted something like "Boycott Ben Folds" to the TMBG list. Everyone knows the band's playful credo is "We're punk rock for sissies." Apparently 'sissies' translates pretty closely into 'gay men' in Swedish (or whatever nordic-type language it was)... I know there are lots of crossover BFF/TMBG fans (me happily included) and lots of you know this already, but before everyone else goes flaming the Ben Folds list, please, please, please let's be groovy and let it go... Someone got mad and acted like a dork. All there is to it. Let's enjoy watching him (her?) have his fun. We've got a world that swings, tom. Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu *------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: protix #s Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:21:51 -0500 (EST) Hi all, For those looking to get tickets for the TMBG show at the 9:30 club here are some numbers for Protix, the agency that handles ticket orders over the phone: Northern VA: 703-218-6500 Baltimore: 410-481-6500 Out-of-Town: 1-800-955-5566 Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: House of Mayors Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 11:03:00 P does anyone know when this will be released? reply directly to me (not the list only) ANd the list(if you want) Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster~ misuser opf verbs (who will be back tomorrow!!!!) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:21:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Jeopardy <> Also, a few weeks ago, on Jeopardy!, one of the categories was presidents, and one of the clues was: This "dark horse" presedient accomplished all of his goials within one term including gaining the Oregon Territory. Of course, we know who that is (James K. Polk) Joel ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 18:27:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I want my M2. :) And last call for rochester show! >They Might Be Giants -- punk rock for reactionary, defensive >gays with email As much as I dislike to respond to stuff like this...I cannot ignore it. I don't know. I just wasted 4 lines of type. >If you were watching the special M2 preview on MTV at >around 2:57 p.m. EST Then you saw Don't Let's Start!!!!! Yessirree! I most certainly did!! :D It was right after the Wax video with the guy on fire . I was at the computer and saw Linnell bob his head and I let out a scream you wouldn't believe!! A pointless post, but hey, someone's gotta fill the lack-of-post-due-to-xmas-break void. :) Oh wait--- To all you coming to the rochester show, now is your last chance to tell me because I hope to copy the maps tomorrow!! And the tickets are nearly sold out, so if you haven't yet gotten them, call up ticket bastard this second! :D *9 days till the frak flag is raised! Whoo hoo!!!* ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: "Maria, Nick" Subject: TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:38:37 +1100 Hi What exactly is meant be the phrase 'dark horse' president?? I thought it was just a TMBGiantism but if Jeopardy! is using it, well it must be fair dinkum. And if he was the first, then who are the others? Also, I noticed some people mailing about 'tickle-me Elmo' dolls. At first I didn't have the foggiest on what this was about! But on the radio last night, this guy was saying how he bought one for Christmas, and there are heaps in Australia while it's sold out in the US! From his description I assume the selling point is that it vibrates if you press it three times, rather than being a Sesame Street celebrity. Cheers and Beers 10000ft Septic ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:52:02 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo At 10:38 AM 12/20/96 +1100, you wrote: >Hi > >What exactly is meant be the phrase 'dark horse' president?? I thought >it was just a TMBGiantism but if Jeopardy! is using it, well it must be >fair dinkum. And if he was the first, then who are the others? Doesn't it mean that there's a candidate that's sort of an underdog---not expected to win? It's been a while since I've taken US History. :> >Also, I noticed some people mailing about 'tickle-me Elmo' dolls. At >first I didn't have the foggiest on what this was about! But on the >radio last night, this guy was saying how he bought one for Christmas, >and there are heaps in Australia while it's sold out in the US! From >his description I assume the selling point is that it vibrates if you >press it three times, rather than being a Sesame Street celebrity. I also heard that lots of little kids are scared of it. Oh well. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:56:10 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: Non-TMBG: Re: . Some obnoxious prat wrote: >Ben Folds Five -- punk rock for sissies > Green Day -- punk rock for the masses > Presidents of the USA -- punk rock for teenagers > They Might Be Giants -- punk rock for reactionary, defensive gays with >email > Weird Al -- polka rock for sissies > Fugazi -- punk rock for vegetarians > Sex Pistols -- punk rock for purists > Butthole Surfers -- punk rock for connoisseurs > Archers of Loaf -- punk rock for members of Ben Folds Five Dear Fellow TMBG List Members Please do not take personal offence at this person's post! It has been posted (as a generalisation) towards me. Why? Cuz I dared to take a stand at being offended being called a "faggot" and a "poof" by the lead singer of Ben Folds Five. This post has clearly originated from a Ben Folds Five fan, and the TMBG reference is most likely directed at me. Though, it is pretty sad that they have found it necessary to generalise in this fashion. I feel somewhat responsible for this having been posted. So, sorry fellow TMBG listees. If you're not sure or are unaware of the circumstances that have resulted in this post, please look at: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/bf5.hts As the poster has decided to hide behind a fake e-mail address, I am replying to the list in the hopes that they're still subscribed to the list, and will see this.... 1) What are you trying to hide from? At least I have the honesty and decency to post under my own name/address. 2) What I posted was only sent to the TMBG list. If it got to the BFF list, it wasn't by my hand. So don't take it out on the TMBG list. You could have just as easily sent it to me personally (but that would be waaaay to sensible for you wouldn't it?) 3) Reactionary? Aw gee - a compliment! Though I must admit that I've never been called reactionary before! And yes - I suppose I am. Well _you've_ reacted, haven't you?!? 4) Defensive? I shouldn't have to be, but yeah, I am. Of my own right to a life free of prejudice. 5) Gay with e-mail? Yes! In yer face and here to stay! All responses to me please...... (Don't you all think I look rather fetching in my new asbestos suit?) Joe xoxox -- * * Heterosexuality isn't normal - just common. * * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk - http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ -- "My first sexual experience was scary. Really it was! It was dark. I was alone........." Billy Connolly ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:30:49 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Wonderstuff Which CD of the Wonderstuff are you listening to? I have them all and none of them strike me as TMBG-ish at all. There may be some similarity in the humour of the lyrics but that is very slight. My favourite Wonderstuff CD is Construction For The Modern Idiot, their very last. Regards, Peter. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:31:52 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Elmo >radio last night, this guy was saying how he bought one for Christmas, >and there are heaps in Australia while it's sold out in the US! Alright, who wants to organize a trip to Australia? We can buy ALL the Tickle-Me Elmos and sell them in the us at outrageous prices! >From >his description I assume the selling point is that it vibrates if you >press it three times, rather than being a Sesame Street celebrity. > So THAT'S why those two women bid so high for it in an auction :-) >Cheers and Beers >10000ft Septic > > -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:36:43 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: "We've Got a World That Swings" ....has now become my favorite FS-era TMBG song...I can't get it out of my head..... Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:44:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dark Horse/Elmo In a message dated 96-12-19 19:59:10 EST, ctyner@awod.com (Adam Tyner) writes: << >What exactly is meant be the phrase 'dark horse' president?? I thought >it was just a TMBGiantism but if Jeopardy! is using it, well it must be >fair dinkum. And if he was the first, then who are the others? Doesn't it mean that there's a candidate that's sort of an underdog---not expected to win? It's been a while since I've taken US History. :> >> This is not a new expression. I can't say if it goes back to the days of James K. Polk or not or where the expression comes from, but I can share a bit of trivia. George Harrison (yes, the Beatles) was referred to as the "dark horse." Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:09:38 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: TMBG on the radio Hey everybody! Until last Wed I had never heard TMBG on the radio. When I heard Metal Detector on Triple J I almost drove off the road. As their album of the week it will typically get a heap of airplay this week and then never grace their playlists again. But it is better than nothing, and with a major advert in Drum Media this week, we might be seeing the beginnings of a tour!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 22:24:40 -0500 (EST) From: "StatuE (Wayde)" Subject: TMBG: Video games I love playing videogames... I'm playing one now!!! RPG's are my favorite... "I've got to let you know ... You're one of my mind!" A little They can do soooo much!!! 8^) -Statue et al ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Ha Ha to all of those punk ... Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 19:47:00 P I am sitting here right now in my AP English class. And I just finished writing an essay, so I'm sitting here at my teacher's computer. I was thinking about John and John. I wonder what kinds of grades they got! I mean, their lyrics are amazing, and every time I hear an interview or something with them in it, they seem extremely educated. Very smart guys. I'll bet when they would write poetry or something in high school, their teachers would go, "what the hell is this?" You know what I mean. If I were them I would go back to my old high school and go Ha Ha. You know just like that one bully on the Simpsons always does. Man what a burn on any english teacher that ever ranked on John and John's writing. Also, They once said that when they were editors for the school newspaper, and that it had no sports section, and that everyone hated it. Well, I would go back and do that same Ha Ha to all of the jocks that thought the paper was lame. Yup. that's what I would do. anyways. does anyone know if the Johns went to college. AND when is the next newsletter coming out??? Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs ( who will be here tomorrow!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:22:07 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk >Is the name Ng (more) common in NYC? Then maybe we should rethink where Ana >lives.... However, the "gimmick" of the song is that Ana lives all the way across the planet from him. I still haven't quite figured out how he knows about her, but there you go... :) >Is it just me, or is this supposed to be an insult. I would assume it was a joke, considering that it was all a play off the Ben Folds Five comment about being "punk rock for sissies" mentioned a while ago. Actually, I thought it was rather amusing...I think the TMBG comment most likely comes from the whole debate which we seem to have just cleared... >Does anyone else notice the similarities between Flan's "Hello, Hello" and >Oasis' "Hello, Hello" they sound exactly the same... If you check your CD liners, you'll see that both are credited to "G. Glitter" -- glam rocker Gary Glitter. The Mono Puff song is a cover of the song while the Oasis song just steals it's chorus. (I think this should go in the Mono Puff FAQ, as it seems to be asked fairly frequently.) Josh We just go nuts at Christmastime, that's when everything falls apart... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:46:16 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Ha Ha to all of those punk ... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Dec-96 TMBG: Ha Ha to all of those.. by Rensink, Brenden BHS@bhs > thinking about John and John. I wonder what kinds of grades they got! I > mean, their lyrics are amazing, and every time I hear an interview or > something with them in it, they seem extremely educated. Very smart guys. I think there was an interview with one of their high school teachers who said they were actualyl interested in doing well in school... and both were accepted into college, so I think we can assume they had adequate grades in high school... >would do. anyways. does anyone know if the Johns went to college. [I believe all this is correct. someone please tell me if I got something wrong] yup. Flans went to Antioch College in Ohio for a while, but spent a smester at GWU in DC, and possibly other semesters elsewhere, before finally getting a degree in printmaking from the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn (apparently, that is what brought him to Brooklyn in the first place). John Linnell dropped out of University of Massachussetts-Amherst to join a band called the Mundanes in Rhode Island. And then they both ended up in Brooklyn and the rest, as they say, is history... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 23:59 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk > >>Is the name Ng (more) common in NYC? Then maybe we should rethink where Ana >>lives.... > >However, the "gimmick" of the song is that Ana lives all the way across the >planet from him. I still haven't quite figured out how he knows about her, >but there you go... :) I always figured that the way he knows about her is that she's a pen pal or something of that sort. I have a lot of pen pals (and email pals) and I know the feeling expressed in "they don't need me here and I know you're there." Kirsten -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:36:01 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk I haven't been following this really cause I tend to shy away from any Ana Ng threads. But I felt that I still had something to say that hasn't been said a thousand times in a thousand threads before. I think that people take the words in this song way too literally. I think that Ana Ng is just a name which is not necessairly an actual person in the world of the narrator. I think he is just imagining that out there somewhere (maybe on the other side of the world) is someone meant for him. And he feels that there have been times that he's almost met this person but just barely missed her. I think the "they don't need me here" line is him feeling that meeting this person is his destiny and nothing else really matters except him finding her. On that comment about Ngs in New York. I said I wasn't following this thread but I suspect you're thinking about the other-side-of-the-world thing and I think it was established long ago that the narrator is not one of the Johns and therefore not in NYC. Anyway, if I misinterpreted anything, just ignore everything I said and send your hate mail to wubba@tmbg.org I don't mind cause I have nothing to do until the rest of my friends get home for break. Take it easy, and happy greetings holidays season, Wubba On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > >>Is the name Ng (more) common in NYC? Then maybe we should rethink where Ana > >>lives.... > > > >However, the "gimmick" of the song is that Ana lives all the way across the > >planet from him. I still haven't quite figured out how he knows about her, > >but there you go... :) > > I always figured that the way he knows about her is that she's a > pen pal or something of that sort. I have a lot of pen pals (and email > pals) and I know the feeling expressed in "they don't need me here and I > know you're there." > > Kirsten > > -- > ______________________________________________________________________________ > "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-348 ******************************