Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-349 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 349 Saturday, 21 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dark Horse President TMBG: Season's Greetings TMBG: Tribute Site TMBG: Tribute Site: PART2 TMBG: the Johns in high school TMBG: Dark Horse / Ana Ng TMBG: the Johns in high school TMBG: NONTMBG - Houghton Mifflin Co. TMBG: Do I see connections here? Non-TMBG: Tickle-Me Elmo's TMBG: Famous NGs Re: TMBG: Tribute Site: PART2 TMBG: okay TMBG: two-nighters absolutely non TMBG: Lemonheads record up for grabs.. Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk Re: TMBG: the Johns in high school Re: absolutely non TMBG: Lemonheads record up for grabs.. TMBG: A Lucky They Day! TMBG: opening band 9:30 Re: TMBG: Do I see connections here? TMBG: ...Just Go Nuts At Christmastime! Re: TMBG: opening band 9:30 Re: TMBG: A Lucky They Day! TMBG: Opening act at 9;30 club Re: TMBG: ...Just Go Nuts At Christmastime! Re: TMBG: Opening act at 9;30 club TMBG: opening at Rochester Re: TMBG: opening band 9:30 (none) TMBG: Re: Help! Re: TMBG: A Lucky They Day TMBG: Jeremy Mathews TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like a mop TMBG: News Radio Re: Hardly TMBG:Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon TMBG: Re: sexxy, sassy Linnell TMBG: Re: 3rd Rock TMBG ref! TMBG: Re: NASALLY (Is that a word?) Re: TMBG: Re: free the Expo 67 and Cage and Aquarium TMBG: Re: Am I insane?-3rd Rock from the Sun... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 02:35:53 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Dark Horse President When Polk is referred to as a Dark Horse candidate, they meant to say that he pretty much came from out of nowhere (he won the nomination on the eighth ballot). He also has the honor of being the first "dark horse" candidate in US History. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:49:07 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: Season's Greetings Due to the chaos that is my life this time of year I am two weeks behind on my digests!!! And the day after tomorrow I am off to my folks house for the holidays. Maybe then I can use my dad's logon to get caught up in the archives. Either way... Season's Greetings. I'm gone till the 31st when I'll post an excessive year end wrap up. TMBG CONTENT:Well it's a month or so later and I'm still trying to get past XTC vs. Adam Ant. I've sort of gotten used to it though. Pet Name however seems to have become my least favorite on FS at the moment. Of course if history is any indication, the minute I say a song annoys me I can't get it out of my head or I decide it's my fave. Well I'm off. See you in '97. Herne P.S. to Crow and JHB...I won't get to finish your tapes before I go but you'll get them in the earliest part of January possible. Sorry it's taking so bloody long!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 05:21:15 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Tribute Site Goooooooooooooood Morning Vietnam! Sorry, I'm really awake and it's 5:18 in the mornin'! Anyway, I just made some minor changes to the cover compilation site including some additions to the list and a counter! All you wacky Giants fans don't worry, it'll keep getting better! The Address? http://tmbg.home.ml.org From the recently re-subscribed, BOBA! -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 05:56:16 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Tribute Site: PART2 Oh yeah, I forgot, Here are some of the titles suggested for the Cover Compilation: Puhlease e-mail me if you have any better ideas or think one is cool: They Might Be Covers C-O-V-E-R They Might Be They They Might Be Copyrighted MY MUSIC'S SHALLOW GRAVE THE WORDS THAT THE VOICE WAS REPEATING YOU SCRATCH MY RECORD WAITING IN INSTANBUL WORDS FAIL MAY I GIVE YOU A HAND ONE THOUSAND EYES ARE STARING I think all of these have a lot of merit, and should be considered, but I'm leaving it up to you, the list, or whoever else e-mails me. Thanks again! -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:26:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the Johns in high school xthinking about John and John. I wonder what kinds of grades they got! I xmean, their lyrics are amazing, and every time I hear an interview or xsomething with them in it, they seem extremely educated. Very smart guys. x I'll bet when they would write poetry or something in high school, their xteachers would go, "what the hell is this?" There is an interview with one of the Johns' old teachers floating around somewhere on the web. Maybe someone out there who sucks less than me knows where to find it. Anyway, he talks about what J &J were up to in high school and describes them as being in sort of an intellectual clique. ("I took off the intellectuals, and I put on There May Be Giants") He says that they used to turn in assignment papers that had nothing to do with the assigned topic, but they'd get A's anyway because they were so well-written. So at least one teacher appreciated the Johns' talent. J & J speak about high school: Hullabaloo: You went to high school together? Flansburgh: Yeah, we did. We worked on the high school paper. That's kind of how we got to know each other. . . It was sort of this small clique of people who mostly just needed a room to hang out in. That was a lot of the reason why the paper existed. We also just liked writing. Hullabaloo: What sort of things did you write? Linnell: A lot of music reviews. A certain amount of current topical stuff connected with the school. . . There was a certain amount of interest in being provocative for its own sake . . . which is typical in high school. Flansburgh: I remember ghostwriting some sports reviews. . . sports news stories. There was some basic information there, but I remember really expanding and editorializing on games I had never seen. . . making them really colorful. Linnell: Our best issues were always the April Fool's issues, because then we could actually lie. --Christy ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dark Horse / Ana Ng Date: Fri, 20 Dec 96 08:44:41 -0600 From: Danny Jones Maria, Nick" wrote these words: >What exactly is meant be the phrase 'dark horse' president?? I thought >it was just a TMBGiantism but if Jeopardy! is using it, well it must be >fair dinkum. And if he was the first, then who are the others? "Dark horse" is an American colloquialism meaning ANY unlikely (and usually relatively unknown) winner emerging from the field, not just in politics. That rascal Eric Webber wrote: >I haven't been following this really cause I tend to shy away from any Ana >Ng threads. But I felt that I still had something to say that hasn't been >said a thousand times in a thousand threads before. >I think that people take the words in this song way too literally. I think >that Ana Ng is just a name which is not necessairly an actual person in >the world of the narrator. I think he is just imagining that out there >somewhere (maybe on the other side of the world) is someone meant for him. >And he feels that there have been times that he's almost met this person >but just barely missed her. I think the "they don't need me here" line is >him feeling that meeting this person is his destiny and nothing else >really matters except him finding her. Absolutely! Never met her, and that's the pain of it. Dolls singing "small girl after all" taunt him. The warm seat on the bench - maybe he just missed her. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: the Johns in high school Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:04:03 -0500 (EST) > Flansburgh: I remember ghostwriting some sports reviews. . . sports news > stories. There was some basic information there, but I remember really > expanding and editorializing on games I had never seen. . . making them > really colorful. > Linnell: Our best issues were always the April Fool's issues, because > then we could actually lie. This is a little odd because when they were on one of those late night talk shows (can't remember if it was Conan or Dave or whoever) they said that their paper was rather strange because they thought they had the only high school paper in the country without a Sports section. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:12:09 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: NONTMBG - Houghton Mifflin Co. Hiya people, I'm just sending this article along, because I remember some of you arguing about the free books to children's hospitals and the whole philosophy of whether it should be posted and whether we should kill those who post things like that, blah, blah, blah.... To tell you the truth I don't care what gets posted, and I thought that you would like to know that it wasn't a hoax. Here's the article from today's Boston Globe...... your bro, drg ----- Begin Included Message ----- Publishing Co. Overwhelmed By E-Mail in Holiday Promotion Associated Press, 12/19/96; 23:32 BOSTON (AP) - Enough good will, already! Houghton Mifflin Co. has had about all the holiday cheer its computer can handle. The publishing company offered to donate a book to a children's hospital for every 25 e-mailed holiday wishes it received by Dec. 31 at its web site. At first, Houghton Mifflin feared its campaign would be ignored. It wasn't. Instead of the few thousand messages the publisher hoped for, it collected more than 67,000 in the two weeks after Thanksgiving. ``All of a sudden, everybody in America was sending us e-mail,'' Erica Khonke, marketing coordinator for Houghton Mifflin Interactive, told The Patriot Ledger of Quincy. The volume overwhelmed Houghton Mifflin's computer, forcing the publisher to route messages to another computer. On Dec. 11, the publisher declared the campaign a success and closed its mailbox, saying it could no longer keep up. Houghton Mifflin said it would ship some 2,500 children's books to hospitals around the country. ---- ----- End Included Message ----- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Do I see connections here? From: weerez@juno.com (Kimberly A Cafuir) Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:24:25 EST Second post you guys, bear with me. Do I see a three way conncetion between these bands? Tell me if I'm wrong. They Might Be Giants Weezer Ben Folds Five Ack! And if one of these bands had any connection to Kevin Bacon, then that means I am connected to Kevin Bacon! This is just too much. Oh, and another thing. What is the limit to connections in the game of Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon? I mean, there's the celeb factor where people are in movies together, but what if you just saw him on the street, does that make you one of the degrees? What if you're a fan, do that make you a degree? If you're a Simpsons or Third Rock viewer and noticed TMBG references, does that make you a degree? Not to put too fine a point on it Say I'm the only be in your bonnet Make a little birdhouse in your soul - TMBG - Kim ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:30:07 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Non-TMBG: Tickle-Me Elmo's Jeez. These dolls are the spawn of Satan or something. The first time I saw the advertisement I thought "Oh, ugh. A vibrating doll of that guy who speaks in the 3rd person." The next time I heard anything about one, was when someone on IRC msged me and wrote: "I am selling 5 tickle me elmo dolls for 199 dollars plus shipping and handling in advance." I thought "What the hell? That's odd. They only cost 19.99" Then I saw all the stuff on the news about them being hugely in demand, and how they are selling on the black market for sometimes $2000 a piece! I guess the good news is that Sesame Street is making lots of money off this, even if other people are making even more. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Famous NGs Date: Fri, 20 Dec 96 10:31:03 EDT From: John Pletikapich >... And there's a guy named Lenny >Ng- everyone seems to pronounce his name the same way as in the song. (In >case you're wondering who he is, he's a living legend in the math >competition community. I could go on and on about him, but I doubt anyone >cares.) I know of another famous Ng , relatively speaking. Joe Ng represented Canada in the Olympics in Table Tennis. Several years ago, his name was always printed "Gideon 'Joe' Eng", but now he's just "Joe Ng". My guess is that Eng is some sort of Aglicization (?) that he did not care for. But I doubt that anyone cares about this either... sorry... On another topic: It seems that some folks don't know what the phrase "dark horse" means. When in doubt, try the dictionary... dark horse [colloq.] 1. an unexpected winner in a horse race, previously supposed to have little chance 2. an almost unknown contestant regarded by few as a likely winner 3. [politics] a person who gets or may get the nomination unexpectedly, often by a compromise Take care -- john ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute Site: PART2 Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:51:38 -0500 I can't think of anymore offhand. But I'll vote on the ones you wrote... > They Might Be Covers no > C-O-V-E-R no > They Might Be They maybe > They Might Be Copyrighted ok > MY MUSIC'S SHALLOW GRAVE no > THE WORDS THAT THE VOICE WAS REPEATING maybe > YOU SCRATCH MY RECORD okay > WAITING IN INSTANBUL no > WORDS FAIL okay > MAY I GIVE YOU A HAND no > ONE THOUSAND EYES ARE STARING maybe ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: okay Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:56:39 -0500 by popular demand, a cleaner recording of the home-made I Can Hear You is online at http://www.udel.edu/spike/tmbg.html check it out. -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: two-nighters Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:36:45 -0500 (EST) I wonder what makes a band decide to play 2 nights in a row in a particular town at a particular place? TMBG are playing St. Louis 2 nights in a row at Mississippi Nights on 1/3 and 1/4. They played Radio Music Hall in DC two nights in a row in '94 or '95. I can kinda understand doing that in NYC since they live there and it's their hometown crowd, but why elsewhere? In order to get your name out I would think a band would want to get to as many different places as possible to let different people hear the music. I would think a fairly good portion of the crowd will be the same. Also, you don't break into a new market by playing at the same place really. It is a heck of a lot of fun to get to see them 2 nights in a row, the St. Louis people are very fortunate. I'm not complaining, just curious. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:49:12 -0500 Subject: absolutely non TMBG: Lemonheads record up for grabs.. I was feeling slightly guilty for posting a non-TMBG: post, until this.. >>I love playing videogames... I'm playing one now!!!<< So now I feel a little better..but at least this may be relavant, because we have superalternataste in music--- I won a Geggy Tah cd (It's MINE! You CAN'T HAVE IT!:) from WBER 2 weeks ago, and it came today, and in the envelope was a bunch of freebies, including a Lemonheads record (yes..a *record*) and a Warner Bros. cd sampler (with REM, MC 900 ft Jesus, St. Etienne.. etc)--- if any of you or someone you know is interested in either of those (xmas presents?), let me know. It can be yours for the cost of shipping. There's also a small Ani DiFranco poster and some Future Sound of London stickers.. By the way-- check Geggy Tah out, check them totally out! ~sarah, still kinda guilty... linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:49:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk >I have a lot of pen pals (and email pals) and I know the feeling >expressed in "they don't need me here and I know you're there." Wow... I never actually took the time to think of that line..That is so true... ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:54:36 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Up the driveway, down the walk On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >Does anyone else notice the similarities between Flan's "Hello, Hello" and > >Oasis' "Hello, Hello" they sound exactly the same... > > If you check your CD liners, you'll see that both are credited to "G. > Glitter" -- glam rocker Gary Glitter. The Mono Puff song is a cover of the > song while the Oasis song just steals it's chorus. (I think this should go > in the Mono Puff FAQ, as it seems to be asked fairly frequently.) Consider it added... Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: the Johns in high school Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:08:25 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >> Flansburgh: I remember ghostwriting some sports reviews. . . sports news >> stories. There was some basic information there, but I remember really [...] >This is a little odd because when they were on one of those late night >talk shows (can't remember if it was Conan or Dave or whoever) they said >that their paper was rather strange because they thought they had the >only high school paper in the country without a Sports section. One can write sports stories for the News section if you lack a Sports section. -CB, who was the news section editor of his HS paper. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: absolutely non TMBG: Lemonheads record up for grabs.. Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:09:43 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of KdsInThHal@aol.com: >By the way-- check Geggy Tah out, check them totally out! Agreed; they opened for BNL here, and were quite entertaining. I don't know how that singer guy can switch between so many intstruments so quickly without disrupting the song rhythms. That, and they've got an adorable puppy. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:14:43 -0800 From: kathleen faulconer <" rocket88"@ix.netcom.com> Subject: TMBG: A Lucky They Day! Hi ! Every Thursday evening we have a ritual. We take Sarah to her trumpet lesson and then head for the used record store. This week we had ordered the S-E-X-X-Y 5 song single and it had arrived! It was exciting enough to finally get the new record but what else was there this time?!?! 2 used but perfect singles! EPs? The Istanbul 5-song and the Guitar 5-song! We have never had either of them! They were $3.00 each and look brand new! Wow! Whatcha think? The new single is great! I am also in love with Weve Got A World That Swings! Whoever posted that it is the sweetest song ever recorded is right. And I think it sounds like Ernie from Sesame Street. Does anyone know the history of that song? Did TMBG write it? Somehow I think it has a late '50's feel. The Atom bombs part........ Well I guess they have done it all now. WGAWTS is sort of a showtune! I'm trying to memorize the words so I can sing it by myself at work today! Bye for now, Kathleen ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: opening band 9:30 Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:30:04 -0500 (EST) I called the 9:30 club and found out that Goatboy will be opening for TMBG. I have no idea who or what Goatboy is, so I guess I'll find out when I get there. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:38:34 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Do I see connections here? >Oh, and another thing. What is the limit to connections in the game of >Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon? I mean, there's the celeb factor where people Just people who are in movies together. see: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~bct7m/bacon.html The concept is older, however, that there are no more than six degrees of *separation* between any two people on the planet. This is a loose term, but generally refers to knowing someone personally. E.g., Graham Maby would have two degrees of separation from any of Flansie's high school friends (besides John). Other schemes also exist, such as a mathematician's Erdos number, links here being collaborating on a paper with another mathematician. Paul Erdos is the center of the universe here. See: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~grossman/erdoshp.html I'm sure you could create a setup for musical links, ala connecting Eric Schermerhorn to the Breeders through Flans and Frank Black. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 02:45:01 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: ...Just Go Nuts At Christmastime! Hi TMBGers! I'm leaving for home and I will have to unsubscribe from the list until I get back! I just wanted to wish everyone a warm, wonderful, blessed holiday season! Be safe, be happy, be spontaneous, and have fun! Also, I won't be back until February first, but I look forward to seeing bunches of you at the Irving Plaza shows, I'll be there with bells on! =) Take care of each other, have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:58:46 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: opening band 9:30 On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I called the 9:30 club and found out that Goatboy will be opening > for TMBG. I have no idea who or what Goatboy is, so I guess I'll find > out when I get there. Shoot....Cub would be a lot more of an incintive to drive all the way up there. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:23:38 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: A Lucky They Day! On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, kathleen faulconer wrote: >I am also in love with Weve Got A World That > Swings! Whoever posted that it is the sweetest song ever recorded is > right. And I think it sounds like Ernie from Sesame Street. Does anyone > know the history of that song? Did TMBG write it? Somehow I think it has > a late '50's feel. The Atom bombs part........ I've posted this once before, and I'll post it again TMBG did not write the song. It is from the '50. I know that it was on an album by the Four Freshman, a jazz singing group. I haven't checked this out for myself, but I've been told that the song appears in the movie "The Nutty Professor" (the original). I agree, this song is pure, sunshine. BTW, is anyone besides me going to see TMBG/BT in MSG in NYC on NYE (enough initials for ya?). I would rather see them by themselves, but this is the only chance I've got. Talk about bad luck! They were at Roseland the week before I went home for fall break (i live in NJ), and they're going to be in NYC the month after I go back to school. Not that anyone cares, of course. :) Also, while I'm on break, I will be using my AOL account. Drayco@aol.com J, the Mysterious "It is not uncommon for magic to be stored in objects. One can easily imagine wizards charging their staffs. Of course, If you do it too much, you'll go blind." --Terry Pratchhett ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:44:51 -0800 From: rocket88@ix.netcom.com (Kathleen Jo Faulconer) Subject: TMBG: Opening act at 9;30 club Is't Goatboy the half-man, half goat that is on Saturday Night live? He would be fun to see in concert! Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:56:27 -0500 (EST) From: Ekul Hpesoj Nevets Subject: Re: TMBG: ...Just Go Nuts At Christmastime! On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, CORT wrote: Would just like to add that I also am unsubscribing from the list today (I know that may make a few happy ;) but might not be returning due to a new lack of internet access. Have a Merry Yule thingy, and great lives :) SJL Steven J. Luke Have a Happy Day!! Wahoooo!! And Remember... Mashed Potatoes CAN be your friend, if you have an open mind. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:57:13 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening act at 9;30 club At 11:44 AM 12/20/96 -0800, you wrote: > > Is't Goatboy the half-man, half goat that is on Saturday Night live? >He would be fun to see in concert! Maybe for a minute and a half...after that it would just get irritating...just like on SNL. :> =Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: opening at Rochester Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:24:26 -0500 does anyone know who's opening for TMBG at the Rochester show? -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- "I'm not done till my head falls off." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 96 16:47 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: opening band 9:30 > >I called the 9:30 club and found out that Goatboy will be opening >for TMBG. I have no idea who or what Goatboy is, so I guess I'll find >out when I get there. I don't either, but I read a great book last year called _Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys_. Kirsten (who felt the need to share) -- ______________________________________________________________________________ "I stand on my head and watch it all go away." -Rancid "Junkie Man" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: 50892@mailhost.easthigh.laramie1.k12.wy.us (98Gorsuch, Ryan) Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:16:40 -0700 help ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 17:29:36 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Help! Quick, Lassie! Timmy's in trouble! -Adam Tyner At 03:16 PM 12/20/96 -0700, you wrote: >help > > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:54:02 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: A Lucky They Day > On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, kathleen faulconer wrote: >I am also in love with Weve Got A World That > Swings! Whoever posted that it is the sweetest song ever recorded is > right. And I think it sounds like Ernie from Sesame Street. Does anyone > know the history of that song? Did TMBG write it? Somehow I think it has > a late '50's feel. The Atom bombs part........ I've posted this once before, and I'll post it again TMBG did not write the song. It is from the '50. I know that it was on an album by the Four Freshman, a jazz singing group. I haven't checked this out for myself, but I've been told that the song appears in the movie "The Nutty Professor" (the original). I agree, this song is pure, sunshine. BTW, is anyone besides me going to see TMBG/BT in MSG in NYC on NYE (enough initials for ya?). I would rather see them by themselves, but this is the only chance I've got. Talk about bad luck! They were at Roseland the week before I went home for fall break (i live in NJ), and they're going to be in NYC the month after I go back to school. Not that anyone cares, of course. :) Also, while I'm on break, I will be using my AOL account. Drayco@aol.com J, the Mysterious "It is not uncommon for magic to be stored in objects. One can easily imagine wizards charging their staffs. Of course, If you do it too much, you'll go blind." --Terry Pratchhett ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:52:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Jeremy Mathews I didn't want to have to use the list, but if you are reading this, Jeremy Mathews (jimmath@ix.netcom.com), why aren't you responding to my personal email? I still haven't got my tapes. If you are ripping me off, at least let me know. If you are just having some problems receiving email, mailing my tapes, or if you just haven't got my package yet, let me know what is going on. I apologize if this is rude, or if there is some sort of problem, but I would really like to be informed as to what is going on. Any information appreciated, Guava Boy9 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 02:07:40 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like a mop Brendan wrote (of House of Mayors): > >does anyone know when this will be released? Well, supposedly, already, but Hello is a w f u l l y s l o w . >reply directly to me And me! >(not the list only) >ANd the list(if you want) Nah, send it here, because I'm sure we two aren't the only ones with that question. >>They Might Be Giants -- punk rock for reactionary, defensive >>gays with email Whoever posted this thought they were being funny at the expense of Joe Keith (the English guy who originally posted the BF5 thang) and, I guess, gays in general. We were supposed to laugh. If I were gay in this society, I'd probably be defensive too. This person was an idiot. Life continues. >>What exactly is meant be the phrase 'dark horse' president?? I thought >>it was just a TMBGiantism but if Jeopardy! is using it, well it must be >>fair dinkum. And if he was the first, then who are the others? Someone who came out of the dark, was unexpected. Dinkum? Nick Maria of far-off Austrailia wrote: >>Also, I noticed some people mailing about 'tickle-me Elmo' dolls. At >>first I didn't have the foggiest on what this was about! But on the >>radio last night, this guy was saying how he bought one for Christmas, >>and there are heaps in Australia while it's sold out in the US! From >>his description I assume the selling point is that it vibrates if you >>press it three times, rather than being a Sesame Street celebrity. Pop culture's evil influence spreads! The main selling point might very well be that everyone wants one. Eric Webber wrote: >I think that people take the words in this song way too literally. I think >that Ana Ng is just a name which is not necessairly an actual person in >the world of the narrator. It works, if you want to take the whole thing figuratively. <> Wow. I think I like that better. >On that comment about Ngs in New York. I said I wasn't following this >thread but I suspect you're thinking about the other-side-of-the-world >thing and I think it was established long ago that the narrator is not one >of the Johns and therefore not in NYC. How so? I'm not being sarcastic. If you can remember, post it. This list is getting teeny. -Kilroy Carnegie Mellon University class of 2001!!!!!! /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Mayor Golding takes it up the a$$ from the G.O.P. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:46:41 -0400 From: Merciless@vt.edu (McGing "the Merciless") Subject: TMBG: News Radio I am temporarily off the list, so this has probbably benn posted a million times, but I was watching this show News Radio last night, and there was this big hulabaloo over the fact that Dave (played by David Folley sp?) was canadian. To test his Americanness (is that a word) Phil Hartman asked him a seris of questions, the first of which was "Who was the 11th president?" A question I'm sure all on this list would have no trouble answering. I think it's a bit more than a coincidence. Well that's it so happy holidays and I'll catch you in the 9 7. Merciless ############################################################################ ##"For the first time I looked twords the uncertain future with a sense of hope, because if a machine can learn the value of a human life than perhaps we can to. -Linda Hamaltin (T2) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:50:27 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: Hardly TMBG:Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon On 17 Dec 1996 16:22:18 -0500, bilinmel@netnitco.net (Melissa Cowan) wrote: >Matthew James wrote: >> >> > >> > >posted in awhile. Just a slight non-TMBG note. Anyone here play or have >> > >heard of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? >> > > >> > >Trillian >> Isn't that how they show that kevin Bacon is no more than six times >> removed from anyone in the world? >> Matt >Yes it is but usually you just us actors/actresses. I can knid of count >myself since I've met: >Lou Diamond Phillips who was in Crimson Tide with >Denzel Washington who was in Much Ado About Nothing with >Michael Keaton who was in She's Having A Baby with >KEVIN BACON > >Play this on long trips to TMBG concerts. > >Trillian > >For those who know the game here's achallenge, Christopher Ryan. The Oracle says: Ryan, Christopher (I) has a Bacon number of 3: Ryan, Christopher (I) was in Dirty Weekend (1993) with Adamson, Christopher Adamson, Christopher was in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) with Costner, Kevin Costner, Kevin was in JFK (1991) with Bacon, Kevin Well, there it is. I got it from the Oracle of Bacon at: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~bct7m/bacon.html You can run a Bacon Check on pretty much anyone who was in a movie. Actually, 3 is the lowest. "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:55:03 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: sexxy, sassy Linnell On 17 Dec 1996 12:39:12 -0500, mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) wrote: >Maybe Linell wear that odor that they sell that is supposed to drive >women wild in 3 seconds? Supposedly, someone's isolated a human pheromone. The perfume for men is actually the one to excite males, and the one for women is the one that excites females. I guess they aren't to attract the other sex, just boost your personality. From the number of women saying they're attracted to Linnell, I'm thinking he must have an over active gland or something... "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:54:57 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: 3rd Rock TMBG ref! On 16 Dec 1996 12:24:59 -0500, " rocket88"@ix.netcom.com (kathleen faulconer) wrote: >Well, Queen Sneepy, if you are insane...you aren't alone! >My sister called 2 seconds after that scene and said "did you hear it? >He said "Professor ---(?) I don't even know him!" then puts his hands >back in the bowl and pulled out more names "Flansburgh, ----(?), >Linnell,...." "Dr. Anthony? But I hardly know him!" "Flansburgh, Chilton, Linnell..." hmmm... TMBG on Conan, TMBG on 3rd Rock... Is one of the big mucky-mucks at NBC a fan??? "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:55:01 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: NASALLY (Is that a word?) On 17 Dec 1996 01:06:29 -0500, kmcguire@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kevin McGuire) wrote: >I was driving my mom around in the car, listening to TMBG, and she >starts complaining about how Linnell's voice is too "nasally" and >high-pitched. I then fast-forward to "Istanbul" and she starts >complaining about how the "original version" was better. Didn't have >that "nasally" voice, she said. Does anyone have a WAV file of the >really old version of "Istanbul" by _The Four Freshman_ (or something >like that.) A voice is nasal.... You can speak nasally... Thank you, Advanced Grammar! "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:55:00 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: free the Expo 67 and Cage and Aquarium On 17 Dec 1996 20:38:03 -0500, kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) wrote: > Just a slight non-TMBG note. Anyone here play or have >>heard of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? > > My friend Kristen and I have decided that you can do that with >TMBG, too. Every time she mentions something, I seem to be able to relate >it to Them. Example: Kristen mentions "That Thing You Do." I mention >that the guy who wrote it, Mike Viola (i think that's his name) is in the >Candy Butchers. Then I remark, "They opened for TMBG." Since this was >the third time I'd pulled something like this in an hour, Kristen got a >bit annoyed. ;) > >Kirsten Ah, A kindred soul whose head is full of superficially useless trivia.... "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:54:55 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Am I insane?-3rd Rock from the Sun... On 16 Dec 1996 09:36:07 -0500, smelliot@indiana.edu (Queen Sneepy) wrote: >Am I insane or did I hear, at the beginning when Dick was picking out the >names of his secret santa out of the fishbowl, and he was reading off the >names, did he say Flansburgh and Linnell? Or did I just have TMBG on the >brain? I swear I heard him say Flansburgh, and I started to pay >attention, then I swear to god I heard him say Linnell! Did anyone else >notice this or tape it and can validate me? Oh, the one day I do not tape... Yes, Dick did indeed say Flansburgh and Linnell, but I guess that they're not good enough to be Secret Santas for, eh? ;) Sometimes it's tough having all the answers. "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-349 ******************************