Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-350 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 350 Sunday, 22 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-349 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-349 TMBG: Tribute Site, Saturday installment! Re: TMBG: News Radio TMBG: The Four Freshmen TMBG: java.mail: signoff Re: TMBG: The Four Freshmen TMBG: Scott Flansburg TMBG: las vegas with the lights out Re: TMBG: The Four Freshmen TMBG: TMBG on radio TMBG: Clarissa explains it all... TMBG: ... and a couple of Q's TMBG: Re: Clarissa explains it all... TMBG: TMBG's February Irving Plaza shows! =) Re: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like ______ Re: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like ______ TMBG: call club, Best of '96 Re: TMBG: TMBG on radio TMBG: Catalogue Orders Re: TMBG: Catalogue Orders Re: TMBG: Catalogue Orders Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 01:25:59 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-349 Say, this message is an accident. Sorry. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 01:29:43 -0800 (PST) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-349 Regarding the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon"/ They stuff. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS had a video on a show created by STEVEN SPIELBERG who directed DUSTIN HOFFMAN who appeared in the movie "Sleepers" with KEVIN BACON (one variation of many possible, I'm sure) Cory ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 08:41:50 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Tribute Site, Saturday installment! Just got done FTP'ing, and some more entries are up, voting results, aaaaand 23 hits later, Your chance to be on the tape or vote the title only at http://tmbg.home.ml.org -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:52:00 -0500 (EST) From: gonk@valley.net (Robert Grabill) Subject: Re: TMBG: News Radio > I am temporarily off the list, so this has probbably benn >posted a million times, but I was watching this show News Radio last night, >and there was this big hulabaloo over the fact that Dave (played by David >Folley sp?) was canadian. To test his Americanness (is that a word) Phil >Hartman asked him a seris of questions, the first of which was "Who was the >11th president?" A question I'm sure all on this list would have no >trouble answering. I think it's a bit more than a coincidence. Well >that's it so happy holidays and I'll catch you in the 9 7. > Merciless > Well, It could be purely coincidental. I think that NBC has more of a thing with James Polk than they do with TMBG. Back before the album was realeased, there was a sienfeld that had a woman and her interests, one of which being "Wow, favorite president: James Polk" It's possible that someone at NBC is a real big fan and had the istanbul single, but it may be coincidental, however, someone at 3rd rock definatly likes them. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 12:31:34 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG: The Four Freshmen Relevant items in the discography of The Four Freshmen: EPs: Spring Isn't Spring Without You Capitol 2392-93 (red vinyl) b/w Do Nothin' 'Til You Hear From Me b/w We've Got A World That Swings b/w When My Sugar Walks Down The Street Promotional singles: We've Got A World That Swings Capitol PRO 2392 (red vinyl) b/w When My Sugar Walks Down The Street -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: signoff From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:57:07 EST Well, I'm off to Arizona to spread the word of They. I might pop back on the list if I get my dad set up with Juno or AOL or something. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling. Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." -Cake ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:59:49 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: The Four Freshmen >Relevant items in the discography of The Four Freshmen: >We've Got A World That Swings Anyone have a .wav file of this? Anyone know the story behind how TMBG found out about it? (Like how Flans heard Cub on the radio...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 12:36:32 -0500 (EST) From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (cyberguy) Subject: TMBG: Scott Flansburg Whoah, I just turned on the tv and this guy who does this "Mega Math" stuff is on. His name is Scott FLANSBURG (I don't remember if it is with or without the H). This guy kind of looks like John Flansburgh, too. (you know, a bit chubby, fat cheeks. I'm not saying that John is FAT though.) Does anyone know if Flans has any brothers or something? Come visit http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html to see cyberguy's webpage. Last updated 12-1-96 IT'S ALL NEW!!!!! Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought- TMBG ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 14:26:15 -0500 Subject: TMBG: las vegas with the lights out >To tell you the truth I don't care what gets posted, and I >thought that you would like to know that it wasn't a hoax. That wasn't my problem with it. I believed it. But it's not something to go to the list, eh? >(can't remember if it was Conan or Dave Leno. >Second post you guys, bear with me. Do I see a three way >conncetion between these bands? Tell me if I'm wrong. >They Might Be Giants >Weezer >Ben Folds Five Well, I wouldn't put TMBG in there. How about Geggy Tah (who I'm listening to now and are fantastic, btw). [even though Kathleen beat me to it...] >I called the 9:30 club and found out that Goatboy will be >opening for TMBG. I have no idea who or what Goatboy is, so I >guess I'll find out when I get there. I hope for your sake it isn't Jim Bruer from SNL and his excuse for a recurring character! ;D >does anyone know who's opening for TMBG at the Rochester >show? I called up WBER again this morning and they still don't know. either that or they aren't saying yet. >I was watching this show News Radio last night, *snip* >Phil Hartman asked him a seris of questions, the first of which was >"Who was the 11th president?" A question I'm sure all on this list >would have no trouble answering. I think it's a bit more than a >coincidence. Hee hee... I was actually going to post that but I forgot. Yep. I think this is a little strange that we see these James Polk references (Seinfeld, Newsradio) but he's so obscure. Well, Dave does like the BNL, XTC, REM, and Bruce McCulloch (also from KITH) loves TMBG, so make your 6 degrees of seperation if you will. >hmmm... TMBG on Conan, TMBG on 3rd Rock... >Is one of the big mucky-mucks at NBC a fan??? That would explain the Seinfeld and NewsRadio references... Hold on... Graham? Seinfeld bass.. Y'think? ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com "Everyone's got their breaking point . . . With me it's spiders . . . With you it's me." - Tragically Hip (Day For Night) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 15:21:23 -0500 (EST) From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: The Four Freshmen Didn't the Four Freshmen also do "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You"? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:19:51 -0800 From: Robyn Miller Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: TMBG on radio It was so cool! My friend and I were driving home form the mall yesterday and Don't Let's Start came on the radio! It was the first time I have EVER heard a TMBG song on the radio. (I guess Georgia radio isn't as cool as the other parts of the country...) I have tried many-a-times to request one but it never worked. My friend and I were so excited! Even though it was 30 degrees outside, we rolled down the windows, cranked the volume, and sang along. I was especially surprised that they played that song! It's pretty old and not as mainstream as Instanbul or Ana, I think. Oh, well! -Robyn- ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:45:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Clarissa explains it all... This sort of has to do with the TMBG references made in Sabrina, the teenage witch...You know how Mellissa Joan Heart is on Sabrina AND Clarissa Explains it All? Well I was watching Clarissa the other day and I noticed she had a poster hanging to the right of her bed of the Johns and Linnell was holding an accordian!!!!! Now I'm going to watch that show just so I can see the poster!! TTFN, ta-ta for now. Phurr ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:42:55 -0800 From: Robyn Miller Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: ... and a couple of Q's OH! and since I haven't checked the Newsgroups for a bit... I have a couple of questions... 1. Does anyone have any info on their instruments getting stolen in TN? I went to the Atlanta show a few weeks back and they were w/out the sax, trumpet, trumbone, etc. and all the rest were different equiptment. Just wondering. I guess their Exquisite "puppet heads" were stolen, too because they didn't bring them out like they did in the Athens, GA, show. and 2. Where can I get a copy of the Snail Shell, Birdhouse, Statue, and others not on the Video Comp.? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:23:09 -0800 From: Robyn Miller Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Clarissa explains it all... Phurr@aol.com wrote: > > This sort of has to do with the TMBG references made in Sabrina, the teenage > witch...You know how Mellissa Joan Heart is on Sabrina AND Clarissa Explains > it All? Well I was watching Clarissa the other day and I noticed she had a > poster hanging to the right of her bed of the Johns and Linnell was holding > an accordian!!!!! Now I'm going to watch that show just so I can see the > poster!! > > TTFN, ta-ta for now. > Phurr I saw a Clarissa once where she had a Flood poster on her wall... the one of the Flood symbol. I thought it was so cool so I started watching Clarissa more just to look for the poster. It was an old episode,though, and the poster was on a wall rarely shown (the very right side of the back wall next to her closet). Sort-of funny how us TMBG freaks see a reference to our obsession somewhere and become obsessed with the "somewhere" just to see the reference again (ie- Mystery Science Theater 3000, Cartoon Planet, Tiny Toons, etc.) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:42:42 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: TMBG's February Irving Plaza shows! =) Hi TMBGers! We already know that TMBG is going to be playing at the Irving Plaza in NYC every Friday night during February (it's just like having a second Christmas!). I just wanted to let you all know that it has now been 'officially' announced! My friend in Boston just called to say that he found a huge ad for the shows in his newspaper! Even though we already knew about the shows, it's still exciting to see it in print! Hope to see bunches of you there! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like ______ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 20:43:06 -0500 (EST) This is off-topic (not that there exactly was one...), but her hair is like *her mom's*, not like a MOP! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 21:19:57 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like ______ On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > Subject: Re: TMBG: ...Janie's hair is like ______ > > > This is off-topic (not that there exactly was one...), but > her hair is like *her mom's*, not like a MOP! Since this is one of my favorite TMBG songs, I'll throw in my $20 (everything seems to be costing me $20 today). It's "Janet's" (I like the Frank O'Toole Version better, personally) The Lyrics: Up the driveway, down the walk, Oh, Janet's hair is like her mom's who's got her own, but acts like something's different from the eyebrows up. Seems like only yesterday, our D-I-V-O-R-C-E. I love you both, and yuletide is pure H-E-Double-L for me. And we just go nuts at Christmastime, that's when everything falls apart. We just go nuts at Christmastime, but it's another year before we're together again. Spoken (Frank O'Toole Radio Show): Hi, this is John of They Might Be Giants, and you're listening to the Frank O'Toole Radio Show on WFMU. If you're driving in your car right now, we urge you to sit back, relax, close your eyes, and drive really, really fast. --or-- Spoken (Dial-A-Song): Hi, this is John of They Might Be Giants. As you're driving down the highway at 100 miles an hour with your head wagging out the window, we urge you, please put down the phone. We just go nuts at Christmastime, that's when everything falls apart. We just go nuts at Christmastime, but it's another year before we're together, Again. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: call club, Best of '96 Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 21:42:54 -0500 (EST) > >does anyone know who's opening for TMBG at the Rochester > >show? > I called up WBER again this morning and they still don't know. either that or > they aren't saying yet. Why don't you call the club (Water Street Music Hall is that it?) they would know if anybody. When I called the 9:30 they told me right away. > is a little strange that we see these James Polk references (Seinfeld, > Newsradio) but he's so obscure. Well, Dave does like the BNL, XTC, REM, and > Bruce McCulloch (also from KITH) loves TMBG, so make your 6 degrees of > seperation if you will. I put in Liam Neelson in the Six Degrees of Bacon at Virginia website to see how far away he was and it did not recognize him. So either he is related and he's just not in their database or they purposely did n ot put him in beecause he is indeed farther than 6 degrees away (methinks the second option!) > > >hmmm... TMBG on Conan, TMBG on 3rd Rock... > >Is one of the big mucky-mucks at NBC a fan??? The cast of Third Rock From the Sun was voted the #8 best performers of 1996, and this is not just actors, this includes bands and other entertainers. No TMBG, unfortunately ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on radio Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 21:46:03 -0500 (EST) > > It was so cool! My friend and I were driving home form the mall > yesterday and Don't Let's Start came on the radio! It was the first > time I have EVER heard a TMBG song on the radio. (I guess Georgia radio > isn't as cool as the other parts of the country...) I have tried > many-a-times to request one but it never worked. My friend and I were > so excited! Even though it was 30 degrees outside, we rolled down the > windows, cranked the volume, and sang along. I was especially surprised > that they played that song! It's pretty old and not as mainstream as > Instanbul or Ana, I think. Oh, well! Wow, I was driving to our Christmas party for work, and I had Factory Showroom tape in, and when I pulled it out Don't Let's Start was playing on the radio! There was no mention of the 27th show, but they could have said it at the beginning of the song. I hope they do a Just Passing Through for WHFS around then (since I work in the town that the studio in which Just Passing Through is held, Rockville). Don't Let's Start may be the most played Giants song on the radio ever. It was their first single and I've heard it on the radio probably more times than Birdhouse and Istanbul combined (but that's just a guess) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:51:32 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Catalogue Orders Say, how long have you guys generally had to wait for orders from the info club or whatever? I ordered the O Tannenbaum single in early November, and I was hoping to get it by Xmas. Is there any way to confirm orders from TMB Productions? Thanks. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 23:31:19 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Catalogue Orders In a message dated 96-12-21 22:55:54 EST, you write: << Say, how long have you guys generally had to wait for orders from the info club or whatever? I ordered the O Tannenbaum single in early November, and I was hoping to get it by Xmas. Is there any way to confirm orders from TMB Productions? >> hey everyone,same with me,so if your replying to him persoanlly send me a letter abou that too? i ordered the i palindrome i single,the statue single,the video compilation,the year 2000 shirt,and 3 bumbr stickers in like october and havent gotten anything yet. i ordered by phone,i was VERY clear,and recently called again and left my name number and address. i want my stuff bad. i know the catalog doesnt have half the stuff i ordered now,but it did when i ordered. jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:03:21 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: Re: TMBG: Catalogue Orders I ordered the O Tannenbaum record and got it in about 2 weeks. Maybe one and a half, actually...(its really cool) I didn't get the 2040 shirt tho, it was sold out. But i did get the Hats shirt and the orange Enjoy one. And the S-e-x-x-y single. And i got a yellow They sticker. (it might have been so fast because I'm in NY state) --Amy <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind" Amy@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-350 ******************************