Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-352 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 352 Tuesday, 24 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... TMBG: WANTED!! state songs, hello the band, house of mayors! different stuff, but it's actually TMBG: related. TMBG: Re: TMBG on the radio Re: TMBG: Triple J hottest 100.... Re: TMBG: TMBG on Channel One? TMBG: I'm Insane, I'm Insane! TMBG: Cool Site of the Day TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... TMBG: Flans Toast TMBG: more Q TMBG: Re: more Q Re: TMBG: Re: Flans wife Re: TMBG: TMBG on Channel One? TMBG: Re: more Q (fwd) TMBG: 9:30 Club (This time I am using a subject, sorry about my last message, I won't do it again, I promise. Please forgive me and have a Merry Christmas.) Re: TMBG: On Channel One TMBG: a liam solution Re: TMBG: Q review of FS TMBG: Flans' weight Re: TMBG: Q review of FS TMBG: When do tickets go on sale???? TMBG: java.mail: re Flans' weight TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! TMBG: tmbg:bootlegs Re: TMBG: Triple J hottest 100.... Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! TMBG: READ THIS: NIFTY NEWS Re: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... TMBG: Re: TMBG on Channel One? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... Date: Mon, 23 Dec 96 02:09:15 -0600 From: Danny Jones Adam Tyner gave these words to the world: >I'm a big fan of both TMBG and "Weird Al", and I was wondering what other >great bands use accordians frequently. > >I bought a really fun album tonight called 'No Strings Attached' by Those >Darn Accordians! > >Any other recommendations? > >-Adam Tyner Yes! Brave Combo! Brave Combo is one of those bands often mentioned here under the recurring thread of "If you like TMBG, you'll like..." Someone mentioned them here recently. Their music is all over the map: Tex-Mex, Eastern European, polka, novelty - but ALL of it is GREAT FUN. Their rendition of "Oh Holy Night Cha Cha Cha" is worth the price of a CD alone. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 06:21:29 -0500 Subject: TMBG: WANTED!! state songs, hello the band, house of mayors! I could only be on the computer at 6am for 2 reasons: 1) No sleep. 2) I want something. Do any of you good people have cd's/records of any of these that you'd be willing to part with? I'd like to upgrade from tape to cd/record for the first 2, and I'd LOVE to hear HoM! - State Songs - Hello the Band - House of Mayors That is all. Thank you. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 07:29:34 -0500 Subject: different stuff, but it's actually TMBG: related. >>I put in Liam Neelson in the Six Degrees of Bacon at Virginia >website >> >to see how far away he was and it did not recognize him. >> >> That's 'cause he's never been in any movies, silly! :) >Actually the name is Liam Neeson and he is an actor, Maybe you were thinking of Liam Gallagher? The guy from Oasis ? I have a thought on the catologue orders--- The only people that seem to have efficient orders are us folks in NY state... Hmm. I dunno. Maybe it has something to do with that extra 8.25% for tax... Ach, screw that. jordan lives not only in NY state, but close to NYC. i dunno what the problem is then. >Me too! We could start a big thread about dreams we've had >about TMBG... or is that a bad idea? Good idea! :) On the KITH newsgroup, those have been some of the best posts! Unfortunately, I don't get enough sleep to have beautiful dreams, but I do have one TMBG related one. It was like some high school band and the guy looked just like Flans and was singing Reprehensible, which was weird, because this was a couple days after I first heard it, and in my dream it was perfect! And I didn't even have headphones on!! Oh, I don't remember the rest. But that's basically the point. >Cool bands that use accordians... Hee hee... I was making a video tape for someone, and noticed that all 3 bands I put on there were using accordians-- TMBG, Barenaked Ladies (I don't think they use it on albums, but I've seen Kevin (their new band member) play one live), and Moxy Fruvous. >when did Flans get married?!?!? and to whom?!?!? I believe it was in June to a Robyn (in a band called Spondee?). Correct me if I'm wrong. >Flans wife's name is Robin Goldwasser and you can hear her >on the Devil Went Down to Newport 7". She goes by "Sister >Puff" and sings "Pretty Fly". Ah, well there you go. wait, there's a TDWD 7"? Wooo.... where have I been??? >Do any of you out there go to High School and have to watch >the dippy little news show Channel One? Hmm. Never heard of it. But I'll request Them anyways. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "The wber studios have no less than 13 They Might Be Giants' cd's." - wber dj, after playing Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: 23 Dec 1996 12:59:15 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG on the radio Peter Young wrote in article ... > Hey everybody! > Until last Wed I had never heard TMBG on the radio. When I heard Metal > Detector on Triple J I almost drove off the road. As their album of the > week it will typically get a heap of airplay this week and then never grace > their playlists again. But it is better than nothing, and with a major > advert in Drum Media this week, we might be seeing the beginnings of a > tour!! > U should listen more often! I reckon that between FS availabilty and last week, I heard at least 30 TMBG songs, and pre FS release, about 50 for the year. Linnell was interviewed on JJJ, and said that they would be here March/April Cheers for the season -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: 23 Dec 1996 13:02:26 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Triple J hottest 100.... > It would be good to see how high we could get S-E-X-X-Y up the chart. They > had one the year Flood came out and Birdhouse got to around number 90 if I > remember correctly. To find the voting form for it, you need to go to : > > http://www.abc.net.au/triplej > Close, but no cigar. In 1992 it was Hottest 200 (of all time) with Birdhouse at 46, and Ana Ng at 150. The list for previous years is at the web site. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:56:11 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Channel One? About Channel One, yes we have to watch those big wastes of time at our school too. But if they play TMBG, maybe I'll pay attention once in a while!! :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 09:32:37 -0500 From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: I'm Insane, I'm Insane! Since all these posts about TMBG references in TV shows, I was thinking that what we should do is try to pass word out (via the list, the newsgroup, word-of-mouth) to any writers for TV shows/movies/school plays/local broadcasts/etc. to try to very subtly put a very distinct TMBG references into a scene. This would require a lot of imagination to be able to do it so that 1) it fits into the show, 2) it is noticed by TMBG fans watching, 3) the reference is distinctly TMBG. I'll take a few seconds to explain. The other day someone thought the Simpsons were always using TMBG references (e.g. "do the dumb things I gotta do" note - which has been around longer than TMBG , and the "MacAurthur Park"/INMB scene with Lisa). Another person on the list mentioned their friend works as a writer for the Simpsons and that friend said no one associated with the show has ever heard of TMBG. So obviously the Simpson TMBG references were coincidental. The 3rd Rock references maybe were coincidental but that is kinda hard to believe since Flansburgh & Linnell are not "common" names. The News Radio reference I'm sure is coincidental. JKP is considered (before TMBG released their song) one of the most obscure presidents in US history, so I'm sure that is why Phil Hartman asked about him. Last week someone mentioned Wierd Al (a long time fan) had put on his X-mas list that he wanted a Shoehorn - the kind with teeth. No mistaking that reference. I don't know how many people I lost so far but if you' re still with me hear is the plan. If you or someone is writing anything for the entertainment industry (local/national), and you/they are a TMBG fan, try to work a TMBG reference into a given scene. For example, if someone is talking about going on vacation you could have the character say "Are we going to that place that has 80 dolls yelling 'small girl after all'" (It fits the guidelines mentioned above). If you're a weather person and you're giving the weather you could possibly work in something like "And now I know that when it rains it snows, I wonder why?". I know this is a long shot but I'm posting this because I think it is worth a try. This way when we hear/see something on TV/ in a movie/ etc. hopefully there will be no doubt about whether it is a TMBG reference or acoincident. Also it will show the writer(s) is a TMBG fan. :) Erik Chuss "Stand on your own head for a change, give me some skin to call my own". - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:33:55 -0600 From: Goodin/Ketcham Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Cool Site of the Day ------------436D4851F400 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Howdy folks, coming at you from the newsgroup... Just surfing the web and decided to check out the Cool Site of the Day (http://cool.infi.net) and it turns out the the Cool Site today is TMBG.com. Uhm.. Wow! Braham Ketcham ------------436D4851F400 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
 Howdy folks, coming at you from the newsgroup...

Just surfing the web and decided to check out the Cool Site of the Day (http://cool.infi.net) and it turns out the the Cool Site today is TMBG.com. Uhm.. Wow!

Braham Ketcham
------------436D4851F400-- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:50:01 -0500 (EST) > > Yes! Brave Combo! > > Brave Combo is one of those bands often mentioned here under the > recurring thread of "If you like TMBG, you'll like..." Someone mentioned > them here recently. Their music is all over the map: Tex-Mex, Eastern > European, polka, novelty - but ALL of it is GREAT FUN. > > Their rendition of "Oh Holy Night Cha Cha Cha" is worth the price of a CD > alone. I kinda like There's No Beer in Heaven ;) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:59:28 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Flans Toast xAlso, someone mentioned a cookbook with John Flansburgh's Mom's French xToast. If anyone knows what its called please e-mail me! Thanks! I posted this because I thought other might be interested. The book is called A Musical Feast, but you can also find the full recipe at this address: http://www.wwu.edu/~tmbgspy/recipe.html at the very cool TMBG spy homepage. An unrelated thing: I am going to the 9:30 club show as well, (Yippee!!) after much undignified pleading and whining with parents. However, the broom stays home this time. The urge to whap moshers upside the head is cancelled out by my fear of big, ugly bouncers. So anyway, look for the blond girl wearing the pokey little puppy shirt and screaming for joy. If you find me, stick around and do the Birdhouse dance with me in the front row. Maybe be we can make Linnell laugh at us like at Taste of DC. It'll be a party :) --Christy ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: more Q Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:56:41 -0500 (EST) I noticed after I typed in the Q review of FS that they were rating the bests artists/producers, etc of 1996. I looked at the Bst New Bands section and they had winners from previous years. For 1990, they had They Might Be Giants listed! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:40:44 -0800 From: Ewok Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: more Q Funny thing is: TMBG has been around for quite a few years before 1990! Why don't they re-title the catagory "Best New Addition to the Mainstream". That's more appropriate, don't you think? -Ewok- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:57:25 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flans wife On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Ewok wrote: > She kinda looked like a Flans-girl. When did they get married (about). They got married this summer....in June or July. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:59:49 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on Channel One? On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 Phurr@aol.com wrote: > About Channel One, yes we have to watch those big wastes of time at our > school too. But if they play TMBG, maybe I'll pay attention once in a > while!! :) TMBG have been on Channel One....somebody from alt.music.tmbg requested "Your Racist Friend", and it got played during a piece on racisim. Happened about two years ago. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: Frank Black, "Teenager of the Year", Mono Puff "Devil", They Might Be Giants "S-E-X-X-Y", Live "Throwing Copper", Warren Zevon "A Quiet Normal Life", Monty Python Sings ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: Re: more Q (fwd) Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:54:31 -0500 (EST) > Funny thing is: > TMBG has been around for quite a few years before 1990! Why don't they > re-title the catagory "Best New Addition to the Mainstream". That's > more appropriate, don't you think? This is how the music industry works. Until a band hits the mainstream they are "unknown" and thus don't really exist until they become bigger and their back-catalogue is further scruntinzed. So, to many TMBG did not exist in a sense before 1990, before thir Gold album Flood. So as an up and coming, big time artist, they were a new band of 1990. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 14:17:46 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: 9:30 Club (This time I am using a subject, sorry about my last message, I won't do it again, I promise. Please forgive me and have a Merry Christmas.) Hello Exquisite Living People, > Is anyone going to the DC show on the 27th? Here's a list: Bob Plass & Lauren <<<>>>> Yay! I just ordered the tix for my sweetie and me and we'll be there! I also just spoke to Matt James (I called him from work, it was free) and he'll be there too with like 400 of his friends. Please try to find Lauren and I at the show! We're pretty easy to spot, I'll be wearing a TMBG Shirt and Lauren is a cute redhead who will be hugging me tightly the whole time. There's a picture of me at http://www.sunyopt.edu/suny/studorg/vosh/officers.htm if you want to see what I look like, by the way. It's a good picture, I'm wearing a tie. Feel free to come up to us and say, "Hi Bob and Lauren!" Lauren has to work the next day (which stinks), so we have to drive back to Baltimore pretty much right after the show unless I can convince Lauren to stay out past her bedtime ("You can sleep in the car, sweetie, I'll drive home.." "No, I have to go to work, pumpkin" "Oh, come on! Please, I'll cook you a yummy dinner!.." "No, Rob, I want to but I have to get up in the morning" "Pretty please! I'll give you a backrub.." "Rob, I can't, I just can't" "I'll bake a raspberry and chocolate cake for you.." "Well, ... okay!!" "Yay!") So, we'll be hanging out before the show, unless we get lost, which we always do in D.C., but look for us inside then. Okay. OTHER TMBG content: Somebody mentioned something about President Polk being the first Dark Horse candidate... Well, that's close, it turns out that he was the first Dark Horse candidate that WON the election. Yay! I learned that on Jeopardy a little while ago. Well, anyways, I'll see you all there on the 27th! Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Who needs Tickle-me-Elmo when you have a real-life Tickle-me-Bob doll?" - - - Lauren, who made my leg fall asleep by sitting on it for 45 minutes and then tickled my foot which gave me the worst case of pins and needles EVER! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:45:02 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: On Channel One >TMBG have been on Channel One....somebody from alt.music.tmbg requested >"Your Racist Friend", and it got played during a piece on racisim. >Happened about two years ago. They were played twice last year. The first time, they used Constellation as the intro music, and then said "That was They Might Be Giants, requested by Jonathan Chaffer, a student at Mt. Pleasant High School, a Channel One school." Pity that Rawley mispronounced my name. The second time, they were showing a Channel One birdhouse that some school had sent in, and played the very appropriate TMBG song to go along with the segment. BTW, I got my request granted by sending email to their address. Give it a try, all ye still in high school at ChanOne schools. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:34:39 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: a liam solution Organization: West Virginia Network liam neeson with ben kingsley in shindlers list ben kingsley with dan akroyd in sneakers dan akroyd with john belushi in blues brothers john belushi with kevin bacon in animal house sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:25:44 GMT From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Q review of FS Matt James wrote about the "Q" Review, and concluded: >Granted, I have only heard 1 Carter USM album, 101 Damnations, but I >don't see the connection to the Unstoppable Sex Machine. I don't like >that album really either. >Matt Carter USM (like our beloved Johns) started life as a 2 piece band with each member weilding an instrument (both Jimbob and Fruitbat playing guitar), rich DAT backing tracks and a sequencer driving a couple of synth modules. A couple of years ago (end of '93 or early '94 I think), Carter USM brought in Wez who used to drum for Resque (anagram fiends work that one out for yourselves =;) ). March this year saw the now 3-piece play their last gigs with the trusty DATs, for since then they have expanded into a full 6-piece band with Jimbob being a singer only and leaving the guitar playing to Fruitbat. I understand that the bassist used to be in S*M*A*S*H though I can't really confirm that. The strange thing is that I've always considered Carter USM to be the TMBG of the UK/Europe. Anyone else concur? Joe -- * * Official Mouthfull Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/mouthfull.html * Official nightnurse Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/nightnurse.html * ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Flans' weight From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 19:52:42 EST Is it just me or does Flans seem to have some kind of complex about his weight? I know that he jokes around about it a lot, but it seems that in several interviews I've seen or read and even in concerts, he jokes about being fat. Even when he was on spinonline chatting, he asked how he looked on Conan - asked if he looked fat. I realize that it must be tough for him being partners with Linnell who must weigh no more than 120 pounds. He's always considered the fat one, but he's really not THAT heavy. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. Maybe he's a little insecure, deep down. Does anyone know if Linnell has made similar comments/jokes about himself being so tiny? Jen ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Q review of FS Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 17:33:41 -0800 Yeah I can see some similarities between Carter USM and TMBG, except for the fact that I feel that Carter are much much more political in their writings, and probably a little more punk influenced. Their first album 101 Damnations that someone mentioned is a masterpiece, in my mind. It just has some incredible lyrics and reminds me a little of TMBG's first album in how primitive, yet mature it is. I can see some similarites in the Wonder Stuff too that someone noted. Both write great melodies that have sometimes deceptively simply lyrics with deeper meanings, i.e. I was listening to "Never Loved Elvis" today and it the song "Welcome to the Cheap Seats" reminded me a little of TMBG (is that an accordian in that song?). The Wonder Stuff have said in interviews (well at least their leader who is now in Vent 414) that a lot of their musical references are from notorious writers, so I wonder if TMBG has lyrical references that are similar. ::shrug:: ---------- > From: Joe Keith > To: Titans All > Cc: Matthew James > Subject: Re: TMBG: Q review of FS > Date: Monday, December 23, 1996 3:25 PM > > Matt James wrote about the "Q" Review, and concluded: > > >Granted, I have only heard 1 Carter USM album, 101 Damnations, but I > >don't see the connection to the Unstoppable Sex Machine. I don't like > >that album really either. > >Matt > > Carter USM (like our beloved Johns) started life as a 2 piece band with each > member weilding an instrument (both Jimbob and Fruitbat playing guitar), > rich DAT backing tracks and a sequencer driving a couple of synth modules. > > A couple of years ago (end of '93 or early '94 I think), Carter USM brought > in Wez who used to drum for Resque (anagram fiends work that one out for > yourselves =;) ). > > March this year saw the now 3-piece play their last gigs with the trusty > DATs, for since then they have expanded into a full 6-piece band with Jimbob > being a singer only and leaving the guitar playing to Fruitbat. > > I understand that the bassist used to be in S*M*A*S*H though I can't really > confirm that. > > The strange thing is that I've always considered Carter USM to be the TMBG > of the UK/Europe. Anyone else concur? > > Joe > -- > * > * Official Mouthfull Home Page: > http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/mouthfull.html > * Official nightnurse Home Page: > http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/nightnurse.html > * > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:22:57 -0500 From: "Brian B." Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: When do tickets go on sale???? CORT wrote: > > Hi TMBGers! I'm leaving for home and I will have to unsubscribe from the > list until I get back! I just wanted to wish everyone a warm, wonderful, > blessed holiday season! Be safe, be happy, be spontaneous, and have fun! > > Also, I won't be back until February first, but I look forward to seeing > bunches of you at the Irving Plaza shows, I'll be there with bells on! =) > Take care of each other, have a They day! > sun and smiles > cortney > > http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 -- when do tickets for the Irving Plaza shows in Feb. go on sale??? I need to know!!! This has been a message from Brian B. (Faboo23). Visit his home page at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4469 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: re Flans' weight From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:43:17 EST On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 19:52:42 EST jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) writes: >Is it just me or does Flans seem to have some kind of complex about >his weight? All I have to say is: "I've got no one to blame but my fat self." Just Flansie's worries coming out in song. Forgive me if I don't check the Who Sung What list, as I'm stuck in Arizona without WWW. Not that I have anything against Flans; I think he looked great in concert. Just a wee bit non-toothpick-like. I guess if you compare him to Linnell, then maybe he looks chubby. But compared to the average American, Flans is Kate Moss. Only male. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com "Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:51:23 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Right now I'm listening to my brand-new S-E-X-X-Y three-song single that I got at Record Town for $3.49!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I really like WGAWTS- it's very different from anything in my (excruciatingly tiny) TMBG experience. I like it a lot. I just thought you should hear about this wonderful thing- the three-song single for $3.49 at the Record Town in Lansing. There's one left.... ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 "Luke ain't got NUTHIN!!!" -Will Paddock, Summer '96 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:06:39 -0500 (EST) From: "Harlan L. Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Elitza Nicolaou wrote: > Right now I'm listening to my brand-new S-E-X-X-Y three-song single that I > got at Record Town for $3.49!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I really like > WGAWTS- it's very different from anything in my (excruciatingly tiny) TMBG > experience. I like it a lot. > > I just thought you should hear about this wonderful thing- the three-song > single for $3.49 at the Record Town in Lansing. There's one left.... Why settle for the three-song single when you can get the five-song single for only a dollar more? (Five-sing songle?) -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:11:26 -0500 (EST) From: "Mr. Foo La La" Subject: TMBG: tmbg:bootlegs howdy fans, I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how exactly to record boots. what type of equipment to use, how to get past security, etc, and any other suggestions that can be made will be appreciated. thanks. rich ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 05:37:47 GMT From: "Colin O....................." Subject: Re: TMBG: Triple J hottest 100.... > It would be good to see how high we could get S-E-X-X-Y up the chart. They > had one the year Flood came out and Birdhouse got to around number 90 if >I > remember correctly. To find the voting form for it, you need to go to : > > http://www.abc.net.au/triplej > >Close, but no cigar. In 1992 it was Hottest 200 (of all time) with >Birdhouse at 46, and Ana Ng at 150. The list for previous years is at the >web site. > Just goes to show your memory is the first thing to go when you get old..... Colin O............... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:49:58 -0800 From: Ewok Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! No joke! I was waiting for the single to come out for MONTHS!! and than the day of the Atlanta concert, I was down town shopping and found the 3-song. I was so HAPPY! than, a few days ago, my b-friend came to my house with the 5-song! I was so angry! Now I have to spend more because it a has a cool version of Sensurround on it! What a bummer! Swings is a kick-butt song! I had to listen to it over and over again... it's so uplifting! -Ewok- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:19:53 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: READ THIS: NIFTY NEWS Please read the intire message, I don't ask this very often. Hey All, I just got the promo TMBG and Frank Black Live 6/24/93 CD promo. It was mainly an F. Black playing with TMBG playing back-up, because Elekta mainly wanted to promote FB. But They Play Mammal, PMan, and Spy (you can never hear enough spy improvs!!) and Linnell and Kurt play some cool horns. I also received the SITFlowers Single and the radio edit contains a different chorus at the beginning, but fades off at We could Be SITF Tell my boss that I've been fired instead of the nifty instrumaental, so I am currently producing the Super-Cool Nix, Which has the new acoustic chorus at the start, like the radio edit, yet still has the neat ending. If you can think of a real clever name for the mix, mail me :) I wil then include my mix as a bonus on the FB/TMBG live 6/24/93 tape or alone if requested. I'll try to do 2:1 trades since everyone needs to get started some how. So if anyone wants a copy, mail me one privately, by now everyone. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:43:20 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... > I'm a big fan of both TMBG and "Weird Al", and I was wondering what other > great bands use accordians frequently. > > I bought a really fun album tonight called 'No Strings Attached' by Those > Darn Accordians! > > Any other recommendations? Oh yeah! I've recently grown addicted to a band called Pee Shy. They aren't quite as zany as the Johns, but it's two women in harmony and (besides the accordian) they throw in clarinets and synths too. But it's really a different sound than TMBG. I think their only album is "Who Let All the Monkeys Out?" I think it's on Mercury. Definitely check them out! Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:23:45 -0800 From: J Mathews Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG on Channel One? Way back when I was tortured by CH1 everyday, I think they played a song off A18, bye now. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-352 ******************************