Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-353 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 353 Wednesday, 25 December 1996 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... TMBG: CD to wave Re: TMBG: CD to wave Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! TMBG: Vinyl Re: TMBG: Vinyl TMBG: TMB Productions Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Re: TMBG: Vinyl TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single(s)?!? TMBG: nothing tremendously important! TMBG: They Might Be On My Car Re: TMBG: nothing tremendously important! TMBG: Tribute cassette TMBG: mixes Re: TMBG: Baconize this! Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single(s)?!? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 02:20:29 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cool bands that use accordians... Det. Dave here... Lara suggested: > Oh yeah! I've recently grown addicted to a band called Pee Shy. They > aren't quite as zany as the Johns, but it's two women in harmony and > (besides the accordian) they throw in clarinets and synths too. But it's > really a different sound than TMBG. I think their only album is "Who Let > All the Monkeys Out?" I think it's on Mercury. Definitely check them out! Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! Somebody else has heard of them? They are awesome. If you like older They stuff you'll like Pee Shy. Jenny Juristo and Cindy Wheeler *both* play accordian!! Jenny used to have an awesome alternative music show on the local non-profit freeform radio station back when alternative music was alternative. Pee Shy's music is very cool. There's some spoken word stuff, but the songs are the highlight. "Little Dudes" is about older women hitting on high school kids. "Jason, I thought I saw a UFO" is about alien abductions. There are a lot of other cool songs on this CD. Fans of Pink and Lincoln will especially like this. Lara, you rock!!! > Lara Schmidt > _________________ > poet, writer, musician, webslave! > _________________ > www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater > www.missouri.edu/~moreview > www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 > > > > ------------------------------ From: Nathasm@aol.com Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:02:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: CD to wave I am trying to put some TMBG songs onto my computer so that I can use them on my web page and to put it as a start-up sound file. The only problem is that I am taking it from a CD. I am wondering if anyone knows about a program, or has a program that they can email me, that converts CD to a wav. format. Please email me directly rather than placing a reply out onto the list. Thanks. ---===Nathasm nathasm@bgnet.bgsu.edu ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:38:18 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: CD to wave >>I am trying to put some TMBG songs onto my computer so that I >>can use them on my web page and to put it as a start-up sound >>file. The only problem is that I am taking it from a CD. I am >>wondering if anyone knows about a program, or has a program >>that they can email me, that converts CD to a wav. format. >>Please email me directly rather than placing a reply out onto >>the list. Thanks. >> ---===Nathasm Unless you have a mighty large hard drive, WAVs of songs can take up a hefty space on it. You can however use Sound Recorder and Media Player or CD player to convert it by using the RECORD and PLAY buttons correctly. Hope this is of help. Also search AOLs software librarys at KEYWORD: SOFTWARE Your TMBG Pal, -- Joel Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel You have been honored by the arrival of electronic mail by yours truly on Tuesday, December 24, 1996 at 10:32 AM "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" I am a big fan of THE BIG STEAMY THING ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is a pie (sideview), Your face, a split second which is headed your way... before the pie hits it..... |||||||||||||||||| / \ |<>\ | ^^^ ^^^ | |<> \ (| <0> <0> |) -----> |<> | | /\ | |<> / \ _ / |<>/ \ / \ / \_\__/_/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:44:43 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Dec-96 Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! by Ewok@ibm.net > No joke! I was waiting for the single to come out for MONTHS!! and than > the day of the Atlanta concert, I was down town shopping and found the > 3-song. I was so HAPPY! than, a few days ago, my b-friend came to my > house with the 5-song! I was so angry! Now I have to spend more because > it a has a cool version of Sensurround on it! What a bummer! Swings is > a kick-butt song! I had to listen to it over and over again... it's so > uplifting! Not to mention the 12 inch single, with 4 distinct remixes of S-E-X-X-Y, but not the original version or anything resembling it. I picked it up for $6 at Tower Records... didn't expect such a thing to exist. Side A has three "tracks," which are all various remixes, and side B has the remix that's on the CD single, along with an instrumental version of it. Did anyone else find this, or actually purchase it? I thought TMBG didn't put stuff out on vinyl anymore... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:57:46 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Vinyl At 10:44 AM 12/24/96 -0500, you wrote: > >Did anyone else find this, or actually purchase it? I thought TMBG >didn't put stuff out on vinyl anymore... There's still talk of the vinyl-only compilation called 'Crap' with stuff that wasn't deemed good enough for Superfueled Freaksicle by Elektra... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 13:29:38 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Vinyl If I'm not too much mistaken, that was just a JOKE by Flans or Linnell, I think Flans, during an interview. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 10:44 AM 12/24/96 -0500, you wrote: > > > >Did anyone else find this, or actually purchase it? I thought TMBG > >didn't put stuff out on vinyl anymore... > > There's still talk of the vinyl-only compilation called 'Crap' with stuff > that wasn't deemed good enough for Superfueled Freaksicle by Elektra... > > TTYL, > > -Adam Tyner > /----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > > ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 13:46:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMB Productions I ordered some bumper stickers and postcards from TMB Productions around the first of December, and I got the loot in the mail today!! And I live in far-off Chicago!!! (Or at least a suburb of it.) I also ordered the video, but a note came and said it was "out of stock." So, if anyone get the video anytime soon, could you please e-mail me and tell me so I know it's back in stock? by by. Phurr ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 14:37:56 -0800 From: Ewok Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: New!! $3.49!! Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Not to mention the 12 inch single, with 4 distinct remixes of S-E-X-X-Y, > but not the original version or anything resembling it. > > I picked it up for $6 at Tower Records... didn't expect such a thing to > exist. Side A has three "tracks," which are all various remixes, and > side B has the remix that's on the CD single, along with an instrumental > version of it. > > Did anyone else find this, or actually purchase it? I thought TMBG > didn't put stuff out on vinyl anymore... Thanx for telling me! We have a Tower Records in Atlanta, so I'll check it our next time I go downtown. (Hope they still have 'em! :) ) I wasn't even aware that there was 2 different versions of the single... let alone a VINYL! I'm pretty un-informed... (but I guess that's why I'm on the mailing list, right?) -Ewok- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 15:14:54 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Vinyl At 01:29 PM 12/24/96 -0500, you wrote: >If I'm not too much mistaken, that was just a JOKE by Flans or Linnell, I >think Flans, during an interview. I don't know how serious he was, but it's also listed on Mr. Flippy's TMBG news page... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 15:50:51 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single(s)?!? Hi all, I just went out shopping trying to find the S-E-X-X-Y single. However, all I could find was the CD single with S-E-X-X-Y, the remix and We've Got a World that Swings. DOes anyone know where in the DC area I can find a store that has the CD5? Justin Higgins - Terraflopping CapAccess Business & Professional Center CapAccess Science & Technology Center Career Resource Center ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:23:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: nothing tremendously important! >>Why settle for the three-song single when you can get the five-song single for only a dollar more? (Five-sing songle?) << Because SOMEone keeps buying them up before I can find one!!!!!!! :( Wellm glad to know there are some other TMBGers out there........ BTW--I made sort of a fool out of myself. Yesterday morning, at like, 8:30, I had the radio on, but kind of low as not to wake everyone up. I had it on WBER (but of course). All of the sudden, what do I hear but "Sleeping in the Flowers". But it sounded weird. So I say "Yeah, what is theis from?" and the guy says "their album John Henry." And i said "yeah, but it sounds different". "Well,it's the radio edit". "Oh okay." Ah well, i didn't exactly make a fool out of myself, but it was weird. Is the SITF single available? Or is it just a radio thing? Obviously it's not inthe info club, but, neither are TMBG posters. Wow, my uncle wanted to hear tmbg so he just watched my video collection--- and I think he liked it (!). ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 14:33:14 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: They Might Be On My Car Hidey-ho, everyone Just got back from Tower, where I was helping my sister with some last minute shoppink. I was standing near the counter, and the person buying a cd mentions to the cashier that she's a big TMBG fan. It's always nice to meet a fellow They fan, especially in San Jose, which is mostly bereft of Giantheads. So I struck up a conversation, which lasted all the way out to the parking lot. And I got to see her car. She had both bumper stickers, and one of the coolest license plate frames I've ever seen-- "Nothing more swell/ Than Flansburgh and Linnell". This is probably even better than my own licence plate frame, which says "We could walk/ But we'd never get there". Anybody else have a They-related licence plate frame? --nicole the wonder nerd is a little glowing friend, but really she's not actually your friend, but she is... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 17:36:45 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: nothing tremendously important! At 04:23 PM 12/24/96 -0500, you wrote: >Is the SITF single available? Or >is it just a radio thing? Obviously it's not inthe info club, but, neither >are TMBG posters. I know a promo CD of it was made...I guess that could be the edited version? I think someone on the list or the newsgroup was talking about it recently... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 96 19:07:46 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Tribute cassette Has anyone checked out the web site to see what songs are being covered? It's actually fairly exciting... A while back a whole big bunch of Residents fans did the same thing, and ended up with a 2-tape set of Residents covers. They liked it so much that you can order it now from the Residents' mail order catalog... Maybe Dept. PPFNP would be interested in doing the same?! I don't think anyone here really cares about seeing any money from this, and if They wanted to donate any profits to some cool charity-type-thing of their choice, maybe that'd work... just a thought... -tom Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu *------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 00:19:02 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: mixes I just got a new walkman, and because i own like five tapes(one of which is flood), I've gotten into making mixes so I have something to listen to. And I fing it entertaining to see if I can make all the songs on one mix have similar themes or at least be mildly related, and I've noticed something: tMBG have a lot of songs which fit well onto different theme mixes. For example, on my school mix, I put James K. Polk, Mammal, and Puppet Head(actually about a job, but appropriate to me). On my travel mix(yet to be made) I will put AKA driver, boat of car, Mrs. Train, Destination Moon, etc.On my personal favorite so far, though, my "mental" mix, I could only think of one TMBG song that fit the theme exactly: Absolutely Bill's Mood. I ended up also putting Purple Toupee on because I like it, and I needed to fill up some space. but anyway, isn't it strange how TMBG, a band known for insanity have so few songs explicitly about insanity? Nobody cares. Oh well. Oh, by the way, listen to Pink Floyd's Brain Damage, Nirvana's Lithium, Absolutely Bill's Mood, Talking Heads' Psycho Killer, and the Beatles' I am the walrus and see how sane you can stay. -- "It's OK to be afraid when the blue spark hits your brain"-Talking Heads Jonah and Gold Lame will turn your brain around ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 22:38:53 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Re: TMBG: Baconize this! Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > >I put in Liam Neelson in the Six Degrees of Bacon at Virginia website > >to see how far away he was and it did not recognize him. > > That's 'cause he's never been in any movies, silly! :) You really cannot mix > medias (i.e. music and movies) in this game -- you can't connect movie stars > to musicians unless the musicians have been in movies or the movie stars are > in a band (Keanu Reeves?) > > >Say, how long have you guys generally had to wait for orders from the > >info club or whatever? > > 10,000 years? > > Josh > Yuletide is just H-E-Double-L for me > > /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ > | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | > |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | > \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ Well, if you mean Liam Neeson, hes HAS been in movies such as Nell. You are probably thinking of Liam Gallagher of Oasis. Sometimes people aren't in there, especially if you spell their name wrong. That's all from the person who started this whole Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 23:45:21 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single(s)?!? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Dec-96 TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Single(s)?!? by Justin Higgins@CapAccess > Got a World that Swings. DOes anyone know where in the DC area I can > find a store that has the CD5? Tower Records is the only store I've been to in the area that carries it in their regular stock. All the others I've been to told me they'd have to special order it. Tower is pretty much the only record store I'm willing to set foot in now... they're the only ones who carry both TMBG singles and anything at all by cub... also, does anyone know of a local in store appearance on the 27th? Or do we get to miss out on that? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-353 ******************************