Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-355 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 355 Friday, 27 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-354 TMBG: German SEXXY Re: TMBG: German SEXXY TMBG: DC in-store TMBG: java.mail: S-E-X-X-Y translations, drummer boy TMBG: Concert line-up Re: TMBG: TMBG's recent covers TMBG: More German TMBG: SEXXY Vinyl at CDNOW TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad TMBG: TMBG WEB RING Re: TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad TMBG: 12/4 Cleveland concert tapes TMBG: James Polk TMBG: TMBG Review TMBG: OH YEAH! TMBG: NBC Friends of TMBG? TMBG: The STL shows TMBG: James K Polk: The Next Most Popular President Of The Past Re: TMBG: James K Polk: The Next Most Popular President Of The Past TMBG: TMBG covers Re: TMBG: SEXXY Vinyl at CDNOW TMBG: Hey Screwy, see you in St. Louie Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 11:17:25 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-354 About the SEXXY translations- I was attempting to translate into German a few days ago, just for fun and on a whim. The spelling, for the most part, is pretty similar, until you get to Y... anyone else speak German? Try translating "SEXXY" and make it fit the tune! How fun! Once I get back to school I'll do the rest of it. Hope everyone had a merry Christmas, happy Hannukah, joyous Kwanzaa, whatever you celbrate I hope it was wonderful! I had a strange thought yesterday while watching the Rock-N-Roll Gymnastics Championship on ESPN. What if one of the competitors, for pure entertainment value (which is the entire point of the competition), chose to do their routine to a TMBG medley 2 1/2 minutes long? Maybe including Istanbul, WDTSS, WGAWTS, Ana Ng, whatever. Wouldn't that be fun? Maybe Particle Man (hit on the head with a frying pan- they're allowed to use props)? Just decided to be long-winded... no one is listening anyway... ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 "Luke ain't got NUTHIN!!!" -Will Paddock, Summer '96 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 11:26:53 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: German SEXXY Here's the first two verses, as far as I can tell: SEXXY Mehr als genug Um das Uhr, mit keine andere SEXXY Da (dort?) ist sie Steht auf den Bett Kuche in eine Hand, (wig) an ihre Kopf SEXXY The letters are pronounced something like this: es-aeh-veh-veh-oopsilon which makes it fun to sing. Now everyone go out and roll in the snow. It's good for your circulation. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Elitza's Very Own .sig File!!! Send all complaints/comments to: ana-ng@poetic.com or visit: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 "Luke ain't got NUTHIN!!!" -Will Paddock, Summer '96 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 14:11:54 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: German SEXXY >The letters are pronounced something like this: es-aeh-veh-veh-oopsilon Those are X's, not V's. How about "es-aeh-icks-icks-oopsilon?" >which makes it fun to sing. Now everyone go out and roll in the snow. It's >good for your circulation. I would, but it would make for too much of an adjustment later today when I leave for Tampa. Gotta love marching band! I'll be away from email access for ~1 week, so don't send anything important. :-) -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: DC in-store Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:15:49 -0500 (EST) I called Tower Records and HMV in DC and neither place said that they had any in-store performance planned for TMBG. I don't think they've ever done an in-store here. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: S-E-X-X-Y translations, drummer boy From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 14:36:19 EST Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought: Wow. I think my girlfriend and I will have to translate S-E-X-X-Y to Spanish when I return from my vacation. "ese-ee-equis-equis-ee. Mucho mas de basta. [around] el reloj, con nada otro, ese-ee-equis-equis-ee." That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else. I don't have my Spanish dictionary with me. Hey, if you want something fun to do, listen to Meet James Ensor on headphones and try to figure out how much java Doherty drank before playing the drums on that track. Or was it him? I didn't bring any liner notes with me, as they don't fit in my 96-CD wallet. I do have my New Medium Sized Edition 1996 holiday Info Club newsletter. Nifty, eh, since I just got it in the mail, but I've had a copy since my order from TMBProductions came in months ago. "Equis, porque es extra, nin~o. Ee, porque es extra, nin~o. Desnoticiado de menos, mucho mucho menos, y ese includado tu'." I should stop now before I offend anyone with my terrible Spanish. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them. Your chaos won't convert them. ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 14:50:25 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Concert line-up What has the on-stage line-up been lately (over the last month of shows)? Horn section or no horn section? Greg ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 14:58:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's recent covers >>You said that They are writing mushy songs. You point to New York City. Well they didn't really write that song. Cub did.<< I believe she was talking about songs They've *covered*. What they've chosen to cover. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 16:48:50 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: More German I translated a little bit more of SEXXY, but the the last 2 1/2 verses are beyond me- help!! X-weil es ist ausserordentlich, baby Y-weil es ist ausserordentlich, baby unbemerkt uber einige sehr, sehr einige SEXXY zeig' inwendig dein (mind) zeig' inwendig deine Augen Geheimagentspion [come to see why- untranslatable???] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ) "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com ( in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ) *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:11:31 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Vinyl at CDNOW At CDNOW.COM they have sexxy listed on vinyl, would this be the one with the infinate number of sexxy remixes on it? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Date: 27 Dec 1996 00:03:11 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng > "Dark horse" is an American colloquialism Blah, you guys like to claim everything. I think the term is as old as the hills and we have used it over here for donkeys' ages. I don't know how my countryman missed it. Probably couldn't see the forest for the trees. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 19:53:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad Why must i be sad???? I went to my neighborhood Sam Goody and asked if I could order Back to Skull, Don't Let's Start (the cashier couldn't quite grasp that title; she's like "don't start let's? let's not start? don't let us start?") and They'll Need a Crane ep's, but they said I could not order those any more. I wanted to get the cd's through a music store so I could get a lower price and avoid paying shipping, but i guess I can't. Has anyone else had better luck? Where should I try next? Ever so sad, phurr PS- those German translations of S-E-X-X-Y continue to crack me up. ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: TMBG WEB RING Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:13:32 -0500 Hi There. If you would like to join the newly formed TMBG web ring...umm then do it. It's at............http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html. Hey THANK YOU! --Cursing Prairie Dog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:47:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad Aside from Back To Skull, you're probably going to have an extremely difficult time finding what you're looking for. :< Try going to http://www.gemm.com and searching... I found BTS for $6.49, the DLS CD5 for $5.98, and the TNAC CD5 for $5.98... TTYL, -Adam At 07:53 PM 12/26/96 -0500, you wrote: >Why must i be sad???? I went to my neighborhood Sam Goody and asked if I >could order Back to Skull, Don't Let's Start (the cashier couldn't quite >grasp that title; she's like "don't start let's? let's not start? don't let >us start?") and They'll Need a Crane ep's, but they said I could not order >those any more. I wanted to get the cd's through a music store so I could >get a lower price and avoid paying shipping, but i guess I can't. Has anyone >else had better luck? Where should I try next? > >Ever so sad, >phurr > >PS- those German translations of S-E-X-X-Y continue to crack me up. > > /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:52:55 -0500 From: "Michael A. Cassara" <99casmic@james.hawken.edu> Organization: Hawken School Subject: TMBG: 12/4 Cleveland concert tapes Hi, Does anyone have audio or video tapes of the 12/4/96 They Might Be Giants concert at the Agora in Cleveland? I'm looking for a friend who is deperately seeking any recording of this concert. Please e-mail me directly (99casmic@hawken.edu) if you can help. Thanks!! Mike *---------------------------------------------------------------- Michael A. Cassara 99casmic@hawken.edu Hawken School in Gates Mills, Ohio Http://www.hawken.edu Homepage: Http://www.en.com/users/cassara *---------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 21:06:13 -0500 (EST) From: cyberguy@netheaven.com (cyberguy) Subject: TMBG: James Polk Okay, now I know what you people ment by TMBG references on NBC. Just now on Seinfeld, they mentioned James Polk during the part where Elaine asks Jerry to call her friend that writes the LL Bean catalog. Are there any others? Come visit http://www.netheaven.com/~cyberguy/index.html to see cyberguy's webpage. Last updated 12-23-96 IT'S ALL NEW!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:32:16 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: TMBG Review Merry Xmas everybody. Here is a review of FS in today's Sydney Morning Herald. "Long before The Presidents of USA there was TMBG - 3 times as quirky, 5 times as weird and, sadly, probably 0.33 times as popular. The NY duo's latest CD will leave fans of the band wriggling orgasmically around their hifi systems while everbody else will probably still think lyrics such as "The spiralling shape will make you insane" are too silly for anything except dumb answering machine messages. Let's just say the band hasn't really developed much over the years, which is probably a good thing. When you're this strange, development could be a dangerous thing. From the swelling disco strings of the Big Audio Dynamite-esque SEXXY to the cheerful doo-wop of Exquisite Dead Guy, FS is almost a dog-free zone. At times the quirk seems forced, but mostly the insane twisting of chiched pop sensibilites seems far more real to me than the original styles being satirised. There are singing saw solos, a track allegedly recorded without electricity and the usual collection of good natured, adenoidal singalongs in which TMBG continue their fine tradition of putting the "q" back into original." EMMA TOM THREE STARS out of FOUR I just voted for SEXXY in the Triple J hottest 100! ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: OH YEAH! Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 21:30:47 -0500 Oh...for those of you who dont know what a web ring is...its a group of sites connected together by a common thread. In this case TMBG...so eventually if you go through all the sites in the ring you'll get back to where you started... --CpDog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 21:39:16 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: NBC Friends of TMBG? I know this discussion is getting kind of old, and there has been a thought that some references on NBC (James Polk on NewsRadio) were simply coincidence. I don't know about that- tonight, on a rerun of The Single Guy, I think it was, that there was another Polk reference. (Half an hour ago and I can't even remember the situation or context. Short term memory loss caused by too much vacation?? You decide.) It could be that it's just another "most obscure American President" ref., but I'm beginning to think that maybe we have a TMBG friend writing at NBC.... but again, I could be wrong. (As little as that actually happens- oh well.) I'm not even sure if it was Single Guy. It may even have been Friends. (Like I said- too much vacation-induced fun.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ) "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com ( in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ) *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:41:03 -0600 (CST) From: Will Freeman Subject: TMBG: The STL shows Hey everyone going to these shows lets get together only one PERSON HAS GOTTEN BACK TO ME SO BEFORE THE SHOW LETS ALL DO SOMETHING ITT'LL BE COOL. SO GET BACK TO ME AND NAME YOUR SUBJECT "STL" OF "WILL" OR SOME THING THANX. WILL * ^ /0 &\ / @ $ \ / %#@! \ / TMBG \ ----------- U R K o c HAppy HOlidays From W L i l ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 23:05:52 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: James K Polk: The Next Most Popular President Of The Past James K Polk could very well be the next most popular president of the past! With all these refrences poping up, soon conversations like this will be common: "Jimmy, name three famous presidents." "George Washington..." "Very good" "Abe Lincoln" "Mmm Hmm..." "And James K. Polk." "Very Good! You get a gold star for the day!" But what'll we do when that happens? (Better start looking for an even more obscure president...) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 23:24:06 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk: The Next Most Popular President Of The Past HEY! With all this James K Polk talk, that reminds of a simspons episode where Springfield Elementary puts on a, ooh,now,its been a while since i saw it, something like a "least popular president play",and it has the kids dressed as them,singing about them, i remember one singing something like "i died in 30 days!" well,im pretty sure there was no Polk reference,but it was still pretty cool. oh,and about that "tmbg reference" in simpsons,i am sure its not intentional. the note homer has doesnt say "do the dumb things i gotta do", it says "dumb things i gotta do today",and its just making fun of those stupid memo pads that say things,and also the fact that homer is writing a suicide note on a memo that says "dumb things i gotta do today" is funny. well bye Jordan insert amusing quote _____________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:41:23 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: TMBG covers >With all this talk about covers, are there any songs you'd like TMBG to cover? Stairway To Heaven? :) Hmm... Perhaps not!!! Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 23:58:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY Vinyl at CDNOW Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Dec-96 TMBG: SEXXY Vinyl at CDNOW by Evan Chakroff@ix.netcom. > At CDNOW.COM they have sexxy listed on vinyl, would this be the one with > the infinate number of sexxy remixes on it? probably. it's most likely the 12 inch single, which has 4 remixes, but not the original. it's very weird. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:57:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Hey Screwy, see you in St. Louie Hello 41- Well, my next possible voyage may be to St. Louis to see grandparents and go to the TMBG shows. Does anybody know if there are tickets still available and things like that? Information quickly would be very helpful. I really hope to see you St. Louis people there. Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-355 ******************************