Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-356 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 356 Saturday, 28 December 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: WashPost.com TMBG: WashPost.com TMBG: My Friends TMBG: meril? Re: TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-355 TMBG: tmbg covered songs TMBG: ska? TMBG: OOOOOH! MI show in February! TMBG: pre-show festivities? Re: TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng TMBG: 9:30 show! TMBG: rochester TMBG: St. Louis plans made! Who'll be there? Fingertips TMBG: TMBG cover comp TMBG: SEXXY en Espaniol TMBG: here's the new article, also pissing me off. TMBG: again, anyone out there? TMBG: Muppets & Birdhouse TMBG: tmbg: Wondering when we will see them Down under... TMBG:Subliminal interp. for no reason! TMBG: House of Mayors! Re: TMBG: My Friends Re: TMBG:Subliminal interp. for no reason! TMBG: They Might Be Novelty Re: TMBG: Covers TMBG: Birdhouse lavalamp? TMBG: SEXXY in...Hebrew! TMBG: Hey Screwy, see you in St. Louie Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 03:30:41 -0500 From: Hemi Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: WashPost.com Oops, add an "e" to the end of "guid" in the address. The corrected site address is http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/music/guide.htm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 03:21:53 -0500 From: skkim@erols.com Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: WashPost.com Just wanted to let you all know.. WashingtonPost.com's Music and Club Scene page quotes TMBG for "Random Lyrics" today. (And they're coming to town today and I can't go. Boo hoo.)"EVerybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads.." is the quote. the site address is http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/music/guid.htm ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 08:58:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My Friends This happened a few weeks ago, but I just remembered it. In my continuous effort to spread the joy of TMBG, I wore my They shirt to school hoping someone would say "who are They" and i could say "go buy Factory Showroom." But instead someone said, "They Might Be Giants-- that's a cool band." I said "You've actually heard of them?!?!?!" and he said "yah, who hasn't?" and I'm thinking "everyone and their uncle" But before I could say anything out loud my other friend piped up and said "They are so cool! They wrote Istambul, right?? That's my favorite song!" And then she started a chorus of "Istambul was Constantinople..." and my 1st friend joined in. That's my story. Here's my point: why is it that people who have heard of Them only know Istambul, and They've released THREE ALBUMS SINCE THEN!!!!! o, well. i'll keep trying. ---phurr :) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: meril? Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:21:03 -0500 (EST) Hello all the Aussies out there, have any of you heard of a singer named Meril Bainbridge (?) See ya'll at 8:30 at 9:30 Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: Re: TMBG: Sad, sad, sad, sad Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:51:27 -0500 (EST) > At 07:53 PM 12/26/96 -0500, you wrote: > >Why must i be sad???? I went to my neighborhood Sam Goody and asked if I > >could order Back to Skull, Don't Let's Start (the cashier couldn't quite > >grasp that title; she's like "don't start let's? let's not start? don't let > >us start?") and They'll Need a Crane ep's, but they said I could not order > >those any more. I wanted to get the cd's through a music store so I could > >get a lower price and avoid paying shipping, but i guess I can't. Has anyone > >else had better luck? Where should I try next? > > If you live in Rochester, NY or Baltimore you could try the Sound Garden. They usually get in the DLS, TNAC, Istanbul, BTS, WDTSS? and other singles sometimes. They are usualy $6 or $7. Actually, I haven't been to the Rochester one, only seen pictures of it. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:02:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-355 NO! :( A couple days before my first TMBG show *ever* and I'm breaking out with this rash. :\ nononononononononoooonoon!!! Everyone pray that I'm okay!!!! Aw well..... Maybe they'll be back soon....:} Um, I found out who's opening fo rthem here in Rochester--- Goat Boy. Does anyone know what this artist/band is like? I just pray to god it isn't ska... *shudder* There was also an article in the weekend section of the paper with that same dumb journalist guy-- saying how a blurb about TMBG caused their fans to send unhappy emails--- and it even included a quote from Heather's letter!!! :D ROTFL! ::gimme 5!:: But the bad news is, I think he mocked it... :\ I'll transcribe it later. Right now I'm gonna play with my new scanner. BTW- I still have a 3 song S-E-X-X-Y cd up for grabs, does anyone want it? ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:16:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tmbg covered songs well if you're looking for tmbg covered songs...... we have a collection entitled Stumpbox... created by a close friend of mine.. it contains over 20 covered songs including Smells like teen spirit - Fire - Elvira - Joker - thriller - horse with no name - what am i doing hanging round? - this land is our land - We are the world - I wanna be sedated and many many more!!!!!! you can't buy this in stores!!!! there's over 200 copies in circulation.. so it's probably the highest circulation by any bootleg this side of the demo tape which was comercially released.... send your tmbg bootleg lists to the above address. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: ska? Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:22:04 -0500 (EST) Hello, > A couple days before my first TMBG show *ever* and I'm breaking out with this > rash. :\ nononononononononoooonoon!!! > Everyone pray that I'm okay!!!! > Aw well..... Maybe they'll be back soon....:} Don't let a rash keep ya down ;) > > Um, I found out who's opening fo rthem here in Rochester--- Goat Boy. Does > anyone know what this artist/band is like? I just pray to god it isn't ska... > *shudder* Why no ska? Ska can be good and a lot of fun to dance to. Course it could be bad ska. Methinks it won't be ska, though, since TMBG ain't a ska band. It'd be a hell of a lot better than rap, country, hip-hop, or some other music that I don't like I suppose. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:30:35 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: OOOOOH! MI show in February! Any Michiganders out there, take heed: Even some Ohio residents, or Canadians near Sarnia or Detroit: There will be a TMBG show in Ypsilanti (outside Detroit) on February 19, 1997, at the Pease Auditorium. This is on a Wednesday, which might cause problems for the scholars on the list (school night!) but it should be worth it. Anyone interested in going, please contact me in some manner A suddenly elated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ) "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com ( in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ) *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: pre-show festivities? Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:54:39 -0500 (EST) Hello, I was wondering if anyone in the DC area that is going to the TMBg Show is having any pre-show get together? I will be in Rockville today and will be done work around 5-5:30 and would like to meet up with anyone. I might metro downtown or something like that. I won't be going home so from then till the show starts there won't be much to do by my lonesome ;) Ok, mail me if you want to. See ya Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 13:30:59 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng On 27 Dec 1996, Royce M. Lee wrote: > > "Dark horse" is an American colloquialism > > > > Blah, you guys like to claim everything. I think the term is as old as the > hills and we have used it over here for donkeys' ages. I don't know how my > countryman missed it. Probably couldn't see the forest for the trees. > I think "as old as the hills" is a U.S. phrase too! Stop stealing our stuff, dammit. You're makin' me crazy! Just kidding, hope everybody out there had as good christmas/chaunaka(?)/kwaanza/or just a good time if you weren't celebrating anything in particular! Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:40:38 -0500 From: Mismirilda Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: 9:30 show! Just a few more hours! Whohoo! Anyone who's taping a bootleg of the show, please mail me. I know some people who would like a copy. Special thanks to Jeff Scanlon, for helping to compile the attendence list. See y'all soon! -Mismirilda ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:43:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: rochester it's sold out!!! I know it's only a couple days away, but if you didn't get your tickets....? Oh well I guess.. ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:47:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: St. Louis plans made! Who'll be there? Fingertips Hello 41- Well, I did actually pull off getting to St. Louis to see the shows. Now my question is who is going to set up plans before/after the shows? Hmmmm? I would like to help, but I don't know much about St. Louis. My deal- I will be staying with my grandparents in Brentwood. I get in New Years Day in the morning. I leave that Sunday, and I will have transportation during the night, maybe at other times too. Someone that is going to the shows please mail me. I want this to be great. Fingertips- I now have five fingertips that fans have made, and they are really neat. I would appriciate it if people would send me more. I want this to go on the fan's compilation, but we need them all! Please mail me if you want to do one. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf I wish my shirt had a logo or a product on it. A good shirt turns the wearer into a walking corporate billbaord. It says to the world, "My identity is so wrapped up in what I buy that I paid the company to advertise its products!" You'd admit that? Oh sure. Endorsing products is the American way to express individuality. -Calvin and Hobbes Adam's do It xourself .sIg fIle ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 17:21:11 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG cover comp (sorry if this sent twice) Don't you hate seeing that subject line? Well, so do i! As of January 1st, at 12:00 P.M. I will be taking no more submissions for the title, voting will remain for the title currently submitted, and some of the submissions with lesser votes will be removed. This is in an effort to come closer to deciding a name for the Compilation! The names are (with how many votes they have): THEY MIGHT BE COVERS (6 votes) THEY MIGHT BE COPYRIGHTED (4 votes) THEY MIGHT BE THEY (3 votes) MY MUSIC'S SHALLOW GRAVE (3 votes) YOU SCRATCH MY RECORD (3 votes) ONE THOUSAND EYES ARE STARING (2 votes) WORDS FAIL (2 votes) WE MIGHT BE GIANTS, TOO (2 votes) WE'RE THE REPLACEMENTS (1 vote) COUNTERFEIT FAKERS (1 vote) THE WORDS THAT THE VOICE WAS REPEATING (1 vote) THEY MIGHT BE FAKE (1 vote) AKA THEY TRIBUTE AKA BIG BIG FAKE FAKE LIES WAITING IN INSTANBUL MAY I GIVE YOU A HAND? C-O-V-E-R THEY MIGHT BE LIES TABLOID FOOTPRINTS THE FACE OF ACUMEN Remember, new submissions will be taken up to and including New Year's Eve, send 'em in, send in your votes, and any new submisions for songs! Thanks! The Page: http://tmbg.home.ml.org Boba Out. -- Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://bobasboots.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 22:43:18 GMT From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: SEXXY en Espaniol This is fun. I do this with songs in my head sometimes, but they rarely fit right. I'm a sixth-year Spanish student, but I wouldn't call myself fluent, so if we have any native speakers lurking, feel free to lash me. We should put this on someone's webpage and see how many translations we can get, like that "I Can Eat Broken Glass" page. Straight outta la frontiera... S-E-X-X-Y (pronounce: es-ay, ehy, ekes, ekes, eee) Mas de bastante Circa del reloj Con nadie otro S-E-X-X-Y Alli es Estancado en la cama Galleta en una mano Peluca en su cabeza S-E-X-X-Y X, porque es extra, bebe Y, porque es extra, bebe Desnoticiado de pocos, muy muy pocos, y ese te incluye... Mira al interno de tu mente Mira al interno de tu ojo Agente secreto sonrie Viene para ver por que (There must be a better way to put that) S-E-X-X-Y X, porque es extra, bebe Y, porque es extra, bebe No comprende Quiere ser tu hombre Tiene otro plan -Kilroy Carnegie Mellon University class of 2001!!!!!! /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Mayor Golding takes it up the a$$ from the G.O.P. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 18:22:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: here's the new article, also pissing me off. Man o nam, this is the biggest prick I've ever seen...he "disses" Heather's letter, and calls Them whores!!! >:[ ~sarah *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* As preparation for They Might Be Giants' third interview in four years for the After Dark column (a national record we might add), John Flansburgh fired up his system with sudafed and caffeine. In a world of popular musicians with all kinds of interesting things to say, Flansburgh and partner John Linnell -- they're the last of the Brooklyn Giants -- rank right up there with the best interviews. That even holds true when Flansburgh has the flu, which is why he's popping cold medicine and chugging coffee while talking by phone from his Brooklyn apartment about Sunday's show at the Water Street Music Hall. They Might Be Giants is best known for its Istanbul (Not Constantinople), a good-time, novelty hit and, umm, wait a minute, Flansburgh is protesting here. . . . "We've never been a good-time band or a novelty band," he says. "A lot of people are into what we're doing, which is being a band that has more than one dimension to it. There is a lot of lighthearted material but also a lot of standard-issue rock music that does not necessarily attract the interest of rock reviewers. "If we could figure out a way to be pretentious art rockers, we would. But we're just a little too self-aware to do that. So we figured out a style of music we could live with." That sounds like the sudafed talkin'. From first-hand experience, I'll tell you what it is that critics like about They Might Be Giants: obscure references in songs, like Birdhouse's Longines Symphonette Society. Anyone who's approaching age 40 will remember those old TV commercials featuring a distinguished looking English guy -- the Longines Symphonette Society spokesman -- and the Society's aim of filling every American home with mail-order classical music records. Of course, not everyone -- including They Might Be Giants' college-age fans -- understands such an obscure reference. "The thing about writing a song, is it's a very public act, but it's also a personal act," says Flansburgh. "For example, I understand everything that comes out of a politicians mouth, but that doesn't make them interesting. I don't understand half the things coming out of a pop band's mouth, but they're still extremely interesting. You don't have to spell something out to be of value to an audience. And we've found an audience that seems to appreciate that they're not being spoon fed." And I'm telling you, folks, that audience is full of maniacs. No one ever questions what the Prince of After Darkness says (men have donated their heads to medical science at my request). But one simple paragraph announcing the local appearance of They Might Be Giants ignited the band's fans to fill the email here with rants about some perceived slight of their favourite band. "I am utterly sick of the priggish, close-minded people that automatically dub TMBG as 'quirky' without doing their homework," was one email comment I read to Flansburgh. "TMBG fans aren't always moody, angry-at-the-world loners. They are almost always intelligent, fun, and happy people that just want to try and brighten someone's day." This was signed by a woman at the University of Oklahoma who identified herselfas editor of Splink! Neither Flansburgh nor I subscribe to Splink!, but it appears to be some kind of specialized publication for moody, angry-at-the-world loners. "What we're doing is pretty much our personal trip," says Flansburgh. "It's not even that audience-focused. The idea of spreading happiness to strangers' lives seems pretty insane. I can't even figure out how to spread happiness into my own life." But they'll do their best for their fans with the late-January release of The Early Years, a two-CD retrospective of the band's early work and obscurities that includes the acoustic polka Hope I Get Old Before I Die and the TMBG "Dial-A-Song" classic, Mainstream USA, with it's chorus, "Mainstream USA/I flipped that guy the bird." "I have to pretend we have no audience for what we're doing just to feel free enough to write songs," says Flansburgh. "The more kaleidoscopic we can make our records, the more they'll like it. It's escapist. "Our secret weapon is the songs are melodic. The fact that they're catchy songs and have enigmatic lyrics on top of it, that's our Trojan Horse." Of course, the Trojan Horse wasn't merely a door. It was a trap. "We're not for everybody," coos Flansburgh in the self-assured tones of the Longines Syphonette Society spokesman. "We're just for *you*." Should we say Trojan whores? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: again, anyone out there? Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 18:17:20 -0500 (EST) Hi again, I am wondering if anyone who happens to be checking their email around now is meeting anywhere or doing anything at all before this DC show. It's not for another 2 1/2 hours or so so I thought maybe we could get together. Anyone out there? ok i'll go back to my shell now. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 18:29:27 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Muppets & Birdhouse I just thought of this: Wouldn't it be funny if someone danced a Muppet to Birdhouse? I just got a copy of Flood and the picture of a long-legged and long-necked fuzzy muppet bobbing its head to the beat of Birdhouse.... That might be kind of funny, if you think about it long enough. It would've been perfect if They'd appeared on the original Muppet Show. I don't know. It just seems very easy to picture. It might be, though, the hypnosis induced by a lavalamp.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ) "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com ( in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ) *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:44:32 GMT From: "Colin O....................." Subject: TMBG: tmbg: Wondering when we will see them Down under... Does anyone know when They will be traveling to the fair shores of Australia? Colin O............................... ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 19:14:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG:Subliminal interp. for no reason! Well, i sort of have 2 interpertations. First, the guy gets hit by a car,obviously,and crashes through the windshield. He notices something,i think this could be the killer,like someone who crashed into him on purpose,r some evidence on why he was killed,it was important, but hard to see. "while laying their in my bed/as i went through the pillow", i feel this is a hospital scene. he just got hit by a car,and hes in the hospital. now,remember it old you about how someone wanted to kill him? well, that person sees he is not dead yet,so he takes a pillow and suffacates him!! once again,he notices the killer,but the pillow blocks his view. he needed to "stare into the subliminal for as long as he could" to identify the killer. ON TO MY SECOND INTERPERTATION! This time,he is having a dream! thats right,and as we all know,dreams ar very significant and are often forgotten and stored into our subconcious, so its a subliminal dream! well, he has a dream he is hit by a car, and goes through the windshield, then he all of a sudden WAKES UP,and is really in his bed,and instead of going through a windshield,he simply went through his pillow in his sleep. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:38:57 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: TMBG: House of Mayors! Today I found the latest shipment from the Hello club in my mailbox. Even though it is August 1996 disc, it took until December to get Linnell's tribute to the mayors of NYC. I don't know if other people on this list have already recieved it but I haven't seen any reviews of it. The cover has Linnell wearing glasses and a big fake beard. Now that I have listened to it only twice, I can give some information on it. The cd is 15 and a half minutes and has 10 tracks. It opens with a speech by Fernando Wood talking about making the city into an independent country. The first Processional which follows has a great clarinet and accordion arrangement of the "House of Mayors" song that sounds like it would have been played a hundred years ago. The songs named after the mayors are instrumentals with lots of accordion and synths that are much more experimental that TMBG's recent recordings. The 2nd Processional has some of the same street sounds behind it that were at the end of the State Songs cd. "Will you love me in December as you do in May?" is an turn-of-the century type vocal and piano accompaniment song written by mayor J.J. Walker. The song immediately reminded me of Tom Lehrer's "When You Are Old and Grey" song from the 50's. I think Tom Lehrer's song was probably inspired by this song because ends with line, "Please remember when I leave in December, I told you so in May." The "House of Mayors" finale is the only Linnell-written song with lyrics. The music is little like "The End of the Tour." The songs aren't as good as State Songs, but it still was worth the wait. ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 20:07:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: My Friends You said, >When I was up in Chicago a couple years ago for the summer I asked some >people If they had ever heard of TMBG and he was baffled by why I should >ask such a stupid question. Apparently on Q101, an alternative station >up there, they have a weekly thing called a Cage Match where they play >two songs and people call in to vote and whoever wins gets to be in it >next week. TMBG had been killing the competition for several weeks >before I came. I don't know the song that won, but it was off of John >Henry. Wow, what a coincidence, I live in the Q101 broadcasting area. Actually, the Cage Match is on monday-friday and They were champs for about 3 months once. (They don't hold the record, though.) They've been on the Cage Match twice that I can remember, but i'm not sure if the 3 months thing was for the song off of John Henry (that I don't remember the name of). For a while S-E-X-X-Y was the champ (maybe that was the 3 month deal (???) ). Well in any case the people that I talk to continue to remain clueless about the joys of They. But when TMBG were in Chicago a month ago, the place was totally kickin'. So I don't know.... ta ta. --phurr ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 21:07:23 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG:Subliminal interp. for no reason! I think that the words to subliminal are just a big pun on the nature of subliminal things. "subliminal, in an unnoticeable way" well of course it's unnoticeable, _it's subliminal_! I think the parts about getting hit by a carm and lying in bed are just saying that we're consantly getting hit by subliminal messages (not necessairily just advertising though). Anyway that's what I think, I tend not to read too deeply into the lyrics of this song, just enjoy them for their humor. Take it easy, Wubba *------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| *------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 21:13:43 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Novelty Okay. Reading that article that Sarah posted got me thinking, so here goes... Imagine for a moment that They're a novelty band.... Listen to some of Their songs... Are you laughing yet? If they're a novelty band and they're this popular, why arent their songs that funny? And if their songs were funny, you could go to the library, borrow a couple CDs, get your laughs, and return it when the jokes stop being fresh (as you would with a Weird Al CD)... But no! This novelty band isn't that funny! But their pop melodies are so good! I don't understand the lyrics, so they can't be a 'real' band... They're a novelty band, yeah that's it... I must not get the joke! I'll laugh annyway and my friends'll think I'm cool... they must get the joke, cause they're laughing, too... Istanbul, huh? Hilarious... Sorry... you may have just entered the mystrerious dark pit that is my mind... Mostly sarcasm, I guess. Yeah. -evan- -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 18:37:51 -0800 (PST) From: "Whatever..." Subject: Re: TMBG: Covers On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Adam Tyner wrote: > With all this talk about covers, are there any songs you'd like TMBG to cover? > > I'd kill for a copy of TMBG doing "Turning Japanese"! > "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails (to go with Devo's cover of "Head Like a Hole") Michelle Cover Fiend *************************************************************************** "God creates dinosaur. God destroys dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates dinosaur. Dinosaur eats man. Woman inherits the earth." -- Jurassic Park Michelle Stevens mms@wolfe.net *************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:31:30 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse lavalamp? I know that the accepted interp of Birdhouse is that it's about a small, blue, canary-shaped nightlight in a plug across from a picture of a lighthouse. However, after a day or so of staring at a blue LavaLamp, I came to the conclusion that the Lava Lamp is a perfectly feasible solution to this song! If it was across (as it is in my room) from a picture of the rising sun, it would be the primitive ancestor, sitting on the beach. Lava Lamps can be loosely said to watch over you. Their hypnotic element can keep you out of harm's way ("who watches over you"). A little glowing friend! There are lavalamps almost everywhere- hence the line about their omnipresence. An electrical well is almost the *definition* of a LavaLamp! LavaLamps don't rest, either. And I've decided to begin using my LavaLamp as a nite lite. It works- just like Hair Club. A reminder: Those interested in meeting at the Ypsi show on Feb 19 please get a hold of me! I check my mail AT LEAST four times a day, so there isn't much chance your letter won't be read within, maybe, 2-4 hrs. of it being recieved by my mail server! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou ) "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com ( in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 ) *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 00:45:00 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: SEXXY in...Hebrew! Well, feeling the need once again to jump on the bandwagon (is the road rough? Th weather ain't the best...) I have translated a little of SEXXY into hebrew...or I should perhaps say transliterated. A little like a toungue twister, and I can't translate SEXXY the word itself, I have tried my best... SEXXY od me'ahsher ha'maspeek mesaveev ha'sha'on blee aph ehchad od SEXXY Sham ahtah, Ohmedet ahl ha meetah, Oogeeah beh yahd echad, Pe'ah nachreet al rohsha'h, SEXXY X, kee hee mee'oochedet, beybee Y, kee hee mee'oochedet, beybee Achadeem loh he'eereem ohtah Yoter, Yoter achadeem, ve'zeh kohlal ahtah. Whewh...more later, perhaps. I had to mess with gender a bit to fit rhythm, and instead of "Unnoticed by few" it's "Few don't notice it." But outside of that, there is the first part of SEXXY in hebrew, brought to you by Hem Yecholeem Leeheeyot Ahnahkeem: Shagreereh Ahaveem shell Brooklyn- They Might Be Giants: Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love. Oh! Aspirate those ch's! I always knew those thirteen years of hebrew would come in handy! :) *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Well, we'd like to call it 'Purple Toupee', but it's actually called smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu 'Counterfeit Fake'"-Flansy, 12/5/96 **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 01:38:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Hey Screwy, see you in St. Louie In a message dated 96-12-27 02:38:50 EST, you write: << Does anybody know if there are tickets still available and things like that? >> Tickets for both shows are still available. Chainsaw Kitten is opening. I will be at both shows. nick (pacquisto) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-356 ******************************