Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-36 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 36 Monday, 5 February 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG Chords Archive TMBG WWW Home Page Re: TMBG WWW Home Page on cloud nine... Re: TMBG WWW Home Page Re: on cloud nine... on cloud nine... Re: on cloud nine... Re: on cloud nine... The naked truth. Re: on cloud nine... opus Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 13:55:51 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG Chords Archive I'm getting near finishing the TMBG Chords Archive for the website. A sample page is at: http://www.tmbg.org/chords/abm.html Please note that the links may break at this point, and that the design may change at any time. If you have suggestions, let me know. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: "Kevin G" Organization: Villanova University Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:19:53 +0000 Subject: TMBG WWW Home Page Does anyone know what has happened to the Home page? All it says now is "Gone Away" -Kevin- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:58:30 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG WWW Home Page >Does anyone know what has happened to the Home page? >All it says now is "Gone Away" Hrm, you're right. And www.tmbg.com now points to Elektra's page. Wierd. Well, www.tmbg.org is still up. Maybe Bo is in the process of moving files to the official site. I'll let you know if I find out. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Feb 1996 15:19:45 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: on cloud nine... I still haven't come down off the high They gave me last night-- They meaning TMBG...I saw the RIT concert last night--i was purely elated the whole time. I was lucky enough to be at the wall (in front!) for most of the concert (Linnell side...!), slightly to the right, it was incredible. I had to hang on for dear life, occasionally, when the moshers/crowd surfers swept around me...I resisted the wave of people (icky moshers). I know it's been said before, but one simply DOES NOT mosh to TMBG--it just is not meant to be. I was disgusted with that, but i overcame it and was fully capable of enjoying myself. ahhh.... They played a song called "Spiralling Shape"...have They played this at other recent concerts? They said They'd never played it, and never will again, but is it true? I forget if anything about this song has been mentioned before...Anyone? It was a beautiful song! I have heard it said that They simply do not have as much fun in concerts as They used to...I can understand that, but last night, in all its exqusiteness, afforded me a shred of hope. I think there were moments when they were truly enjoying Themselves! And I did not miss the horns (or Tony) too much--Graham definitely knew his stuff! Per Matt James's suggestion, I was equipped last night with a pen and paper (a bank statement, heehee!), so here is the set list... Spider WDTSS Meet James Ensor Subliminal (She Was A) Hotel Detective Ana Ng (a cool, slower version) Santa's Beard Spiralling Shape Band Intro (They called it Battle of the Bleachers, since it was in a Gym) Don't Let's Start AKA Driver Dig My Grave End of the Tour Snail Shell Spy James K. Polk Istanbul No One Knows My Plan Statue Got Me High Particle Man Sleeping in the Flowers The Guitar Twistin' Stompbox Birdhouse The Replacements The Joker--yes this was amazing...and yes it's the Steve Miller Band song--have They done this before, as a joke? I'm not particularly fond of the song--I liked it when They were making fun of it at the end of the song...I was joking with a friend about how it was probably one of the only songs some of the stupid college kids there knew the words to! heehee The Famous Polka (instrumental) So there it is--it was an enjoyable experience, and probably the most fun I've had in a long time! And I'm still happy--I know that's the effect They have on people! One last thing--I think RIT has a large population of deaf students--hence there was an interpreter on the stage next to Linnell interpreting all the words! They made photocopies of the lyrics for her-- I got one of the lyric sheet photocopies--i know it's no set list (my friend got that!), but it counts as something! I thought the whole interpreter thing was pretty cool! Well, for all you who didn't enjoy a recent concert, I don't see how! IT WAS INCREDIBLE! (my third time, and the best so far!) sorry for the long post, but i wanted to share!!!!!! Love, Fran aka The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG WWW Home Page Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 15:21:40 -0500 (EST) > >Does anyone know what has happened to the Home page? > >All it says now is "Gone Away" > > Hrm, you're right. And www.tmbg.com now points to Elektra's page. Wierd. > Well, www.tmbg.org is still up. Maybe Bo is in the process of moving files > to the official site. I'll let you know if I find out. Big changes in store of the official site...I can't elaborate on them at the moment right now though...stay tuned. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Feb 1996 17:39:01 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: on cloud nine... > Did you get *all* the lyrics? If so, be kind and post the lyrics for > Spiralling Shape. Sorry Jon...only a sheet from Flood (I know, hooray, right?) Sorry--it certainly was a great song--maybe they'll put it on Freakcycle...if it ever comes out! Have They ever played Spiralling Shape before...? anytime recently, or was it really the first time last night? hmmm... Love, Fran aka The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: on cloud nine... Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 19:56:22 -0500 (EST) > > I still haven't come down off the high They gave me last night-- > They meaning TMBG...I saw the RIT concert last night--i was purely elated > the whole time. > I was lucky enough to be at the wall (in front!) for most of the concert > (Linnell side...!), slightly to the right, it was incredible. I had to > hang on Ahh I'm a consummate Flans-sider. > for dear life, occasionally, when the moshers/crowd surfers swept around > me...I resisted the wave of people (icky moshers). I know it's been said > before, but one simply DOES NOT mosh to TMBG--it just is not meant to be. > I was disgusted with that, but i overcame it and was fully capable of > enjoying myself. You are so right! > ahhh.... > They played a song called "Spiralling Shape"...have They played this at > other recent concerts? They said They'd never played it, and never will Cool! I must hear this song, I guess next concert? Wonder when that'll be? > I have heard it said that They simply do not have as much fun in concerts > as They used to...I can understand that, but last night, in all its Say it ain't so! > Spider > WDTSS > Meet James Ensor > Subliminal > (She Was A) Hotel Detective > Ana Ng (a cool, slower version) > Santa's Beard > Spiralling Shape > Band Intro (They called it Battle of the Bleachers, since it was in a Gym) > Don't Let's Start > AKA Driver > Dig My Grave > End of the Tour > Snail Shell > Spy > James K. Polk > Istanbul > No One Knows My Plan > Statue Got Me High > Particle Man > Sleeping in the Flowers > The Guitar > Twistin' > Stompbox > Birdhouse > The Replacements > The Joker--yes this was amazing...and yes it's the Steve Miller Band > song--have They done this before, as a joke? I'm not particularly > fond of the song--I liked it when They were making fun of it at the > end of the song...I was joking with a friend about how it was probably one > of the only songs some of the stupid college kids there knew the words > to! heehee > The Famous Polka (instrumental) I'm glad they played this! they haven't been playing it at the last few concerts and it is such a wonderful song. > students--hence there was an interpreter on the stage next to Linnell > interpreting all the words! They made photocopies of the lyrics for her-- > I got one of the lyric sheet photocopies--i know it's no set list (my > friend got that!), but it counts as something! That's awesome. You probably have a better item tha n a set list, when will they ever do that again? Probably not for a long while. Was the interpreter dancing around and stuff? I would love to have that job (if I could sign) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: on cloud nine... Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 19:59:20 -0500 (EST) > > > Did you get *all* the lyrics? If so, be kind and post the lyrics for > > Spiralling Shape. > > Sorry Jon...only a sheet from Flood (I know, hooray, right?) > Sorry--it certainly was a great song--maybe they'll put it on > Freakcycle...if it ever comes out! If she was interpreting the concert wouldn't she need the sheet to have every song on it? Or did the interpreter know the songs alre4ady? Or did you only get a portion of the interpreter's sheet? "Doing donuts on the neighbors lawn" -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 20:07:24 -0700 Subject: Re: on cloud nine... A few questions about the concert... 1: Did anyone get a boot? Yes, I know it's not nice and stuff, but we've all got 'em...even a microcassette recorder version would be great... 2: Does anyone see any parody between Mr. Holland's Opus and this whole translator on stage thing? If you haven't seen this flick, do, it's great, and You'll see what I mean...Any one? Opus?(I had too...) -Rabid Child (Think, you could not even be at the concerts...) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 23:06:33 -0500 Subject: The naked truth. Hey guys, I know some of ya'll like the Barenaked Ladies. I just wanted to let you know that I was poking around and found that they have a page a http://www.repriserec.com/ I haven't had the chance to listen to any of their music but some of you guys seem to really like it. Hope I made someone happy, Beezus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 01:16:02 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: on cloud nine... Yes, the interpreter was dancing around (bouncing anyway!) She looked like she was having a lot of fun, smiling, etc... And i think it was only part of the lyrics she was given--my guess is that she was given photocopies of lyric sheets from each album They played songs from...(Though she looked a bit mystified when it came to such lyrics as Longines Symphonette in Birdhouse! heehee). On mine, the first half of the Flood lyric sheet, several of the songs were starred, meaning the ones They would be singing... About the Opus thing...I haven't seen it, but I know the gist---if there was a farce present, i'm sure it was unintentional, as the school has a large deaf population--I think she is probably someone hired for each show at that college, by the college--TMBG prob. had nothing to do with it! But it was still pretty cool--Linnell even gave her a big thanks between songs--I think he understood the need! Well, that's enough for tonight! Fran aka Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: opus Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 01:21:47 -0500 (EST) > > A few questions about the concert... > 1: Did anyone get a boot? Yes, I know it's not nice and stuff, but we've > all got 'em...even a microcassette recorder version would be great... > 2: Does anyone see any parody between Mr. Holland's Opus and this whole > translator on stage thing? If you haven't seen this flick, do, it's great, > and You'll see what I mean...Any one? Opus?(I had too...) Yeah that movie is great, just saw it tonight. I wonder if TMBG saw this movie and then went out and di this? Probably not. I think Dreyfus looked like Wilfred Brimley at the end there, though. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-36 *****************************