Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-360 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 360 Wednesday, 1 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-358 Re: java.re: TMBG: Throwing Stuff Re: TMBG: tmbg: A MIRACLE!!! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-359 TMBG: TMBG in Colorado--AT LAST TMBG: 9:30 tape? TMBG: TMBG OMLT tees TMBG: Name of list Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY TMBG: NY TMBG: tape TMBG: Latin translation of "Istanbul" TMBG: My opinions on four TMBG albums Re: TMBG: the OMLT! TMBG: Wait a Minute TMBG: guitarists TMBG: throwing stuff TMBG: Dr. Kildare Is Dead TMBG: tmbg on sci fi TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's for TMBAutographs TMBG: throwing items TMBG: OMLT Design Contest Re: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's for TMBG: tribute tape; throwing things TMBG: happy new year! Re: TMBG: OMLT Design Contest Re: TMBG: tribute tape; throwing things TMBG: Rochster Show! TMBG: Re: OMLT Design Contest TMBG: the OMLT's TMBG: HAPPY NEW YEAR! TMBG: movies & nouns Re: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's forTMBAutographs TMBG: Irving Plaza NYC Re: TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng Re: NON NON NON TMBG:The Bacon Oracle TMBG: Best name for the List is...Floodlist (no, not really) Non-TMBG: Happy New Year Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 31 Dec 96 01:31:16 UT From: "Kathy " Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-358 >said that they have a thing with Polk, not TMBG. Question: Is >Sabrina on NBC, too? Or was that Melissa Joan Hart's >Fanhood showing >through? Sabrina is on ABC. Ryan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 01:20:14 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: java.re: TMBG: Throwing Stuff On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Tim Lloyd wrote: > >What other stuff have people thrown at Them? > Nothing was thrown at Them when they opened for Hootie and whats-his-face > in Omaha. I think it's more fun when bands throw stuff at the > crowd...like Man...Or Astroman? throwing Little Debbie snacks (or Wonder > Bread if they run out) to the crowd. Although tossing other things into > the crowd, like people and farm animals, could be dangerous. :( And other things. Like I have heard of a recent Marilyn Manson concert in Tallahassee by a lovesick attendant of said concert: "Yeah, it was great! The floor was one big mosh pit with people kicking each other's ass, and Manson starts cutting himself and pissing on the crowd, it was awesome." Wow. I know I certainly want to attend on of THEIR concerts now. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 07:54:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: A MIRACLE!!! In a message dated 96-12-31 01:53:13 EST, you write: << for the list name, i dont think we need one,but my vote goes for LETTERBOX. i think its perfect,and it makes sense because the name is a NOUN,not a name like "i can hear you" or whatever. i think we should use a noun to name a noun,and not a phrase. (kaylum,back me up on this!) >> I most certainly shall! I think that's a great choice, too! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:03:13 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-359 Is it just me, or are Tim Lloyd's mailing list name ideas *very* similar to mine? I don't mind, I actually think it's kind of neat (Great minds think alike- and so do ours!!!!) but it was surprising to see things like "Someone Keeps Moving My Mail" and "Apollo 19" "Women and Men" et al. in more than one message! Neat-o! Props! Mind-meld type things? Appear in dreams? Who knows? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Elitza Nicolaou { "Aren't you the guy who hit me ana-ng@poetic.com } in the eye?" -TMBG www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 { *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 31 Dec 96 08:46:23 MST Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Colorado--AT LAST Hello, I hope you had a great Christmas and will have a happy new year! I just checked the tour listings today and found that TMBG will play the Odgen Theatre in Denver, CO this THURSDAY!! That show wasn't even listed a couple of weeks ago. I must get a ticket and go. Who is scheduling these tours anyway!! They are only giving you a few days notice. ALSO-- I was going to trade somebody for a Dr. Demento video, but I can't remember who it was. Can you contact me? TMBG Video Bootleg Vol. 2 is coming ... ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:11:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 9:30 tape? wow, that was fun at the 9:30 show.. wheee! i doubt anyone here remembers me, ive just been ignoring most of the digests recently- tsk tsk! but i was wondering if any of you crazy kids taped the show. i didnt, technical difficulties :( i mean, we're talking DC, capitol of taping stuff your not supposed to so i really hope someone did. well, drop me a line and we can *ahem* Work Something Out. oh yeah, if anyones gonna b at MSG tonight feel free to say hi! back to the shadows ~liz ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:25:52 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: TMBG OMLT tees > > Anyways, the TMBG OMLT (Omelette,, or Official mailling list t-shirt) > Never did get made. If anyone feels like taking that responsibility of > printing the shirts for people to buy and taking orders and such, please, > let's get these shirts into reality! > So what exactly would be involved and is anyone in Valparaiso, IN, hopefully Johanna is still around as she is the only listie I know of being in Valpo, possibly interested in making them? Or anyone near here? Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:28:18 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: Name of list I kind of like The World's Address since there are people from more than one country on here and it's just a cool phrase. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:34:11 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY Thor wrote: > > On 28 Dec 1996 18:05:56 -0500, java.man@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) wrote: > > >>What's ours? I'm so tired of saying "the they might be giants > >>list". > >>It's a mouthful. :) Toddler Hiway? Um.. Istanbul? Can't be Cowtown. > >>That's a > >>chat. Hmm. What do you think sirs? > > > >Well, boobie (sorry, couldn't resist even though Dr. Forrester has gone > >the way of Dave Bowman -- the satellite got him high), since Cowtown is > >the chat and The Big Steamy Thing is the web site, how'z'bout (stop that, > >Frank! Remember the squeegee... So sorry, Joely-kins, good help is hard > >to find these days. Frank! Go answer the door; our delivery from Manos, > >the Pizza of Fate, must be here) Allotheria? Or Pet Name? Or maybe > >Spiraling List (with one "L" or two)? Leo, you still around? What are > >your thoughts? I'd gladly tally votes for a name, unless Sarah > >Linnellgirl wants to. Torgo, just give the pizzas to Mr. B Natural. > >Don't worry, he/she/it won't bite. Yeah, yeah. You take care of the > >place while the master is away. > > > >Push the button, Frank. > > > Wow! I was fascinated enough to get up and look at my cd's and the > perfect name jumped out at me: What better name for a discussion > group than I Can Hear You, if we're using song titles? > > "The trouble with computers, of course, > is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My screen saver is sending me mail!!!!! Oh, wait, must just be a fellow MSTie. Seems to be alot of them on here. Anyone know if there are ever any TMBG references on MST3K. I've heard NIN, Robert Smith, any 80's metal hair band, and i'm thinking possibly a Ministry reference but I don't recall any They ones. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:13:52 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: NY Hey everyone, I dunno if I am, but can I try and be the first person to write in 97? TA!! Happy New Year to all!! And to the American people that haven't celebrated yet, GET YOURSELVES WIPED OUT!!! Bye Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:40:27 -0500 (EST) From: "Harlan L. Landes" Subject: TMBG: tape did anyone get a recording of the 12/29 show at Rochester? I'm willing to trade many things for that one tape. thanks, harlan -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:27:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Latin translation of "Istanbul" Someone posted a German "S-E-X-X-Y" not too long ago, so I thought I'd post a Latin translation of "Istanbul". It's not a literal translation in places, but it's the general idea of the song. Istanbul (Non Constantinople) Scriptores: J. Kennedy et N. Simon Musici: Sint Gigantes Istanbul erat Constantinople, iam est Istanbul, non Constantinople. Fuit diu quoniam Constantinople, Nunc est voluptas Turca in nocte lunae. Omnes puellae in Constantinople vivunt in Istanbul, non Constantinople. Sic si habes diem in Constantinople, Exspectabit in Istanbul. Quidem Novum Eboracum erat Nova Amsterdam, Cur mutabatur, nequeo dicere, Homines id amant meliorem illum modum. Istanbul erat Constantinople, iam est Istanbul, non Constantinople. Fuit diu quoniam Constantinople, Cur Constantinople delebatur? Est modo negotium Turcorum. Thank you and enjoy this. Sincerely, Chris ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:57:36 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My opinions on four TMBG albums In the past week, I have acquired four TMBG CDs and I would like to share my opinions on them. I got two for Christmas and bought two on Sunday. Here's what I think of them: APOLLO 18 A+ I really love this album! All 38 tracks are very diverse. From beginning to end, I can't find any songs I hate. I love "I Palindrome I" and "The Statue Got Me High", and all the other songs are very good. If They could top this album, it would be nearly impossible. FLOOD A This album is also pretty good. "Particle Man" and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" are two of my favorite TMBG songs, as are "We Want a Rock" and "Birdhouse in Your Soul". The only weak track is the first song, which I think sounds like a Disney movie theme (in other words, it sucks). But, overall, this is also a good album. JOHN HENRY A I was a little worried at first when I bought this, having read bad reviews about it and not too many praising it. But, I started listening to it and I loved it. I really do not like "O, Do Not Forsake Me" or "Extra Savoir-Faire", but everything else is very good. I have on this album as I write this. "John Henry" is very different than most TMBG, but then again I wouldn't want TMBG to be one of those bands where every song sounds the same. Another thing, John Linnell's lyrics are a little psychotic at times, if you read them closely. I like this album a lot, though. My favorite songs on it are "I Should Be Allowed to Think", "Destination Moon", "No One Knows My Plan", and "Meet James Ensor". LINCOLN B This is typical 80's music. I like "Ana Ng", "They'll Need a Crane", and "Purple Toupee". But the rest of the album takes some getting used to. Overall, it's not bad, but it's definitely my least favorite TMBG album as of now. Sincerely, Chris ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:31:52 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT! > are really interested... All those in favor, please bellow like a sick cow. > All opposed, stand on your head and lick the soles of your shoes. > > --Christy > MOOOOO moooooooo Thhhbt achoo moooooo | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:05:03 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Wait a Minute Naming the list.... Uh....doesn't that job belong to the list-op? If he chooses to do so, he can throw it to us to decide, but I think all of this is a little premature. Leo's away from the 'net temporarily, so he hasn't commented. Just my thoughts. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: XTC: Nonsuch, They Might Be Giants: Misc. T, Frank Black: Frank Black, Various: The Glory of Gershwin, Warren Zevon: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2 disc set) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:07:37 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: guitarists Well, it sort of appears that Eric is on hiatus, maybe. If he is, in fact, gone, I think I'd like to see Lyle Workman play with TMBG. His Guitar on NYC is the best on FS, IMHO. (How's that for initials?) Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: XTC: Nonsuch, They Might Be Giants: Misc. T, Frank Black: Frank Black, Various: The Glory of Gershwin, Warren Zevon: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2 disc set) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:20:40 -0600 From: "D.P. Gumby" Subject: TMBG: throwing stuff A friend of mine, who's been a TMBG fan for much longer than I, claims "the thing to do" at TMBG concerts used to be throwing slices of american cheese at the stage.... Of course, he also claims that crowd surfing ORIGINATED at TMBG concerts. -- Jim B. "Born to be a god among salesmen, Working the skinny ties..." -Soul Coughing ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:22:28 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG: Dr. Kildare Is Dead Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theatre. I'm Dr. Kildare. - John Flansburgh > * Lew Ayers, who played movies' Dr. Kildare, dies at 88 > (By Minerva Canto, Associated Press, 12/31/96; 14:34) > LOS ANGELES (AP) - Lew Ayres, whose film career > covered six decades and weathered the furor of his > objection to combat duty in World War II, has died. He > was 88. > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:23:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tmbg on sci fi hey, does anyone know when they will be on that inside space show? I saw that show once, and I fell asleep. I hope i don't have to keep watching it. Does anyone have a URL for it?? ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:34:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's for TMBAutographs my mom said we can do the shirts. :) I wanted to check with her before I said anything. I can print them up here. With the cost of shirts, transfers, ink, and shipping, they'd be $10 (american-- canadian would be a little more for shipping.) Let me know if this is okay. By the way, guys-- check out the TMBG autographs!!! :D http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/johnsigs.gif http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/ticket.gif ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: throwing items Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:37:39 -0500 (EST) > > At the show I went to someone threw underwear at Flans. He kicked it > > under Brian's drum set. Is this some sort of common occurence, throwing > > misc. objects at Flans? Damn I can't believe dumbasses would throw stuff at them, especially tennis balls! Flans must have been really really pissed. > > I've seen a few bras go onstage, mostly at Linnell > oddly enough. Every time I see that it offends me because > I've never had a woman throw her bra at me and I'm at least > as attractive as Linnell. :-) I'll vouch for that! Leo's a stud! Everyone check out Children of the Lost City (I think I got that right), very wild French flick. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:45:07 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: OMLT Design Contest For the t-shirts, how about having a contest for the design. I mean, we want a good-looking shirt, right? Not just text, or something -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:47:08 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's for At 03:34 PM 12/31/96 -0500, you wrote: >my mom said we can do the shirts. :) I wanted to check with her before I said >anything. I can print them up here. With the cost of shirts, transfers, ink, >and shipping, they'd be $10 (american-- canadian would be a little more for >shipping.) >Let me know if this is okay. It would probably be cheaper to have them done professionally, rather than using transfer paper. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:53:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tribute tape; throwing things >When Tornadoes Take Over the World > > Nutra Sweet Pixie Sticks > jimmath@ix.netcom.com Um... what would this song be......??? >I've seen a few bras go onstage, mostly at Linnell oddly >enough. Oddly enough? I thouht he was the designated "sex-symbol" of TMBG! 8) >>and I'm at least >> as attractive as Linnell. :-) > >You're a FOX leo! :) Hee hee. Yeah, I've seen Leo's picture.. he's not bad.. he just needs a keyboard, accordian, and a musical partner that flatters his looks... ;) ~sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: TMBG: happy new year! Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:51:27 -0500 (EST) Heya, To all the Australians and others where it is 1997, happy new year! And happy upcoming New year this evening to everyone else! whoo! I've got to go to 3 parties in the Baltimore metro area so I'm off to do that (how do I get myself into these things, darn friends ;) Happy New Year, 1997!! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) *------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:36:33 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Design Contest Honestly, a contest takes too much time / work. I asked for people's submissions last time when I was coming up with the designs, and I only got 1 submission, which WAS only text. So it fell upon me to draw the shtuff. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Evan Chakroff wrote: > For the t-shirts, how about having a contest for the design. > I mean, we want a good-looking shirt, right? Not just text, or something > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:57:52 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: tribute tape; throwing things On Tue, 31 Dec 1996 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >I've seen a few bras go onstage, mostly at Linnell oddly > >enough. > Oddly enough? I thouht he was the designated "sex-symbol" of TMBG! 8) Jack thinks . o 0 (I thought that was Eric) > >>and I'm at least > >> as attractive as Linnell. :-) > > > >You're a FOX leo! :) > Hee hee. Yeah, I've seen Leo's picture.. he's not bad.. he just needs a > keyboard, accordian, and a musical partner that flatters his looks... ;) Well, I have had someone throw a bra at me...it's private :) You can see a pic of me now on my website....hURL is in the .sig. Jack Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: XTC: Nonsuch, They Might Be Giants: Misc. T, Frank Black: Frank Black, Various: The Glory of Gershwin, Warren Zevon: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2 disc set) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:04:37 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Rochster Show! Heh. Finally back at a place I can send email from, so if it's a day late and a dollar short, tough. :) The Rochester show became my favorite show, and my sister's second favorite show ever, Goatboy and all. We managed to find our hotel and the coffee place, but none of you guys. :( Still, I was determined to have a good time, and was trying to convince Robin of this even as we stood in line freezing our butts off. She was rather amused by all the young fresh-faced types floating around. I was too, as I delibarately decided not to be my freshed-face self..mostly cause I tend to look about 18 when I do, and I really did not want to argue with the bouncer. "Look, I'm 25. See. Says so right here on my non-driver's id." "Oh, I dunno. You sure don't -look- 25." Grr. Anywho, we got in, and found a spot in the middle. Goatboy was absolutely horrible..although, Sarah, I think he looks more like Eric Roberts in a bad wig than Bill Mahr. There was much mocking, and they kept teasing us with thoughts of They. Finally, They came out, and the mood of the crowd picked up. Robin started enjoying herself, I was bouncing like mad..and it was great until Flans got beaned. Hope he's okay. :( We went back to the room, collapsed, and spent the better part of monday wandering around. Scary archetecture..looks a lot like Buffalo. :) And then we were treated to a bunch of film students filming in the bus station. :) I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and Robin wants to tour the country going to They shows. Hmm. That's not a bad idea... Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:52:06 -0800 From: Robyn Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: OMLT Design Contest Evan Chakroff wrote: > > For the t-shirts, how about having a contest for the design. > I mean, we want a good-looking shirt, right? Not just text, or something > -- I'm experienced w/ my Adobe Photoshop and making designs. I'll submit one if someone updates me on what words we decided we wanted on the shirt. (I've gotten behind on my List reading). I can take some pics from the internet and stuff and, since my color printer isn't that swell, send the saved results to someone. Is that ok? Ewok ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:34:25 -0500 (CDT) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: the OMLT's hey y'all, (yes I'm a southern guy) Whoever said that it would be cheaper to get the t-shirts done professionally is not at all right...professional silk-screening costs way lots o'money, like $15 a shirt and then the companies try to make a profit so they can be anywhere from $20 to $25 american money...I'm not sure how good of quality tranfers are and I know that iron on or the like doesn't last so the only good way to do it would have to be silk-screen. The price on silk-screening goes up every time you add a different color even if it is a different hue or tint of that color.So the only way we could keep the prices down to the I'M-SO-BROKE-ALL-I-HAVE -SOME-POCKET-LINT-AND-A-JOLLY-RANCHER price is to see if anyone has family or friends that would do it at a reasonable price. On a different note is anyone else other than me in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia? If there is Are You A Sinfonian? ALSO SALSA! Hail Sinfonia! bye all and Happy new year! nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:38:47 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Happy New Year TMBG-list! -- Matthew Ondrey "Ha ha ha, you dumb bastard, it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat." -- Willam Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:56:01 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: movies & nouns On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > Everyone check out Children of the Lost City (I think I got that right), > very wild French flick. > Matt I've seen it. Is there anything in it that's supposed to make me think of They? The actor in that movie looks like such an ape (he was also in The Last Supper). And a comment was made about how the list name should be a noun. I completely agree. --Dan ------------------------------ From: "Microserf" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's forTMBAutographs Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:19:39 -0600 Plus T-Shirt transfers will fade and wash out after enough washings, I think it woudl be better to have it done preofessionally too. Microserf Assistant Sysop Acme Online (http://www.acmeonline.net/aboutacme/) Assistant System Administrator Acme Communications (http://www.acmeonline.net) (ftp://ftp.acmeonline.net) microserf@acmeonline.net or microserf@computer-services.com Coming Soon: http://www.acmeonline.net/microserf 1-316-421-4981 ===[|} <(Pie) ---------- > From: Evan Chakroff > To: microserf@acmeonline.net > Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be list-shirts! and URL's forTMBAutographs > Date: Tuesday, December 31, 1996 2:47 PM > > At 03:34 PM 12/31/96 -0500, you wrote: > >my mom said we can do the shirts. :) I wanted to check with her before I said > >anything. I can print them up here. With the cost of shirts, transfers, ink, > >and shipping, they'd be $10 (american-- canadian would be a little more for > >shipping.) > >Let me know if this is okay. > > It would probably be cheaper to have them done professionally, rather than > using transfer paper. > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 18:29:00 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza NYC Hey, I was thinking of trying to go to one of the 4 Irving Plaza shows in Feb. possibly. I don't know how I would do this, but I feel bad I missed the 9:30 club show I could have gone to. I was wondering a couple of things. What kind of area is Irving Plaza in? I mean is it a bad part of NYC, or is it fairly safe...also, does anybody have any idea what the different shows would be like? Like would one be a lot of older stuff... Thanx Josh The EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 22:13:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dark Horse / Ana Ng I don't know, but I have a feeling this one is originally a UK expression. Joseph Dowdy In a message dated 96-12-26 19:13:57 EST, parvenu@ozemail.com.au (Royce M. Lee) writes: << > "Dark horse" is an American colloquialism Blah, you guys like to claim everything. I think the term is as old as the hills and we have used it over here for donkeys' ages. I don't know how my countryman missed it. Probably couldn't see the forest for the trees. Cheers -- Royce M. Lee >> ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 22:13:22 -0500 Subject: Re: NON NON NON TMBG:The Bacon Oracle I may be VERY wrong, but isn't someone who was in a movie with KBacon given a score of ONE? So, for Meryl Streep, the number would be...3? 2? 1? In a message dated 96-12-29 00:56:08 EST, CyburDog@aol.com writes: << sfkoch's opening argument: >>You can run a Bacon Check on pretty much anyone who was in a movie. >>Actually, 3 is the lowest. The Dog Retorts: WRONG!!! Sly Stallone has a Bacon Number of 2: and I quote: "The Oracle says: Stallone, Sylvester has a Bacon number of 2: Stallone, Sylvester was in Specialist, The (1994) with Stone, Sharon Stone, Sharon was in He Said, She Said (1991) with Bacon, Kevin" Hate to show you up... TMB(do)G "I eat too much" - Dave Matthews Band ( Concert in 3 days!!!!) >> ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 22:13:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Best name for the List is...Floodlist (no, not really) my suggestions... World's Address (no explanation necessary) Letterbox (track 13 from Flood) Ana NG (Ana NewsGroup) Boat of Mail (from Boat of Car) Spiraling Mail (will make you go insane) Tabloid Footprints (from TMBG theme song) Fingertips (highly pschizophrenic mail) There Might Be Mail (ha!) Purple Toupee (will show the way when summer brings you down) Floodlist (...for the flood of mail, and to ask the questions: Why is the world in love again? Why are we marching hand in hand? Why are the oceans levels rising up? It's a brand new e-mail, for the 1990's, brand new mailbox...FLOOD!!!!) Joseph Dowdy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:13:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Happy New Year Nice to be able to ring in the new year with Leno at 12, Letterman at 12:30, and Conan at 1. (And Scott Thompson (KITH) and Barenaked Ladies, too) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:00:38 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter Kesting) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: java.mail: mY nAmE iS tOrGo...I dELiVeR piZzA wHiLe tHe MaSter iS aWaY You asked if there were any TMBG refernces in TMBG. Well as a matter of fact there was. Ok it was one of a million of the crappy old shows they show. This guy in the movie says this line "They could be giants" refering to some monster. Well I beileve it was crow who said "They Might Be Giants" I just about shot to the ceiling. It was really cool. >Thor wrote: >> >> On 28 Dec 1996 18:05:56 -0500, java.man@juno.com (Tim Lloyd) wrote: >> >> >>What's ours? I'm so tired of saying "the they might be giants >> >>list". >> >>It's a mouthful. :) Toddler Hiway? Um.. Istanbul? Can't be Cowtown. >> >>That's a >> >>chat. Hmm. What do you think sirs? >> > >> >Well, boobie (sorry, couldn't resist even though Dr. Forrester has gone >> >the way of Dave Bowman -- the satellite got him high), since Cowtown is >> >the chat and The Big Steamy Thing is the web site, how'z'bout (stop that, >> >Frank! Remember the squeegee... So sorry, Joely-kins, good help is hard >> >to find these days. Frank! Go answer the door; our delivery from Manos, >> >the Pizza of Fate, must be here) Allotheria? Or Pet Name? Or maybe >> >Spiraling List (with one "L" or two)? Leo, you still around? What are >> >your thoughts? I'd gladly tally votes for a name, unless Sarah >> >Linnellgirl wants to. Torgo, just give the pizzas to Mr. B Natural. >> >Don't worry, he/she/it won't bite. Yeah, yeah. You take care of the >> >place while the master is away. >> > >> >Push the button, Frank. >> > >> Wow! I was fascinated enough to get up and look at my cd's and the >> perfect name jumped out at me: What better name for a discussion >> group than I Can Hear You, if we're using song titles? >> >> "The trouble with computers, of course, >> is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who >Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My screen saver is sending me mail!!!!! Oh, wait, must >just be a fellow MSTie. Seems to be alot of them on here. Anyone know if >there are ever any TMBG references on MST3K. I've heard NIN, Robert >Smith, any 80's metal hair band, and i'm thinking possibly a Ministry >reference but I don't recall any They ones. > >Trillian > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-360 ******************************