Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-37 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 37 Tuesday, 6 February 1996 Today's Topics: Live in NY DIFFERENCES! Jealousy! joker RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-36 Re: joker Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 TMBG in sign language Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 Yorrick Spiralling Shape Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 Re: Spiralling Shape Theme from Flood??? trivia I've got something in my pocket... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 08:58:45 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Live in NY DIFFERENCES! Ben or Been here. Ben's Dial-A-Song features a fun song by the band Grenadine. I am an owner now of both the Aussie import of _John Henry_ which includes a six-song excerpt from the 10/14/94 concert, and the _Live in New York_ CD that the Hello Club offered. I have noticed one difference in the songs! "Ana Ng" on the Hello album, at the part when a woman would say "I don't want the world, etc.," has nothing but what-I-would-call humming sounds. On the import version, someone (I think Flansburgh) screams in a scratchy mic the "want the world" line. I'm curious why one version has the talk and another doesn't. As for Donna Donna, the host for the concert, she used to have her radio shift broadcast on an Albany/Schenectady radio station. I am not sure whether she worked in that radio station, or if she was broadcast all over and my station was a carrier. I love the TMBG song on the album, "Cepastat Spot." It's quite a funny addition to the CD! I too could not get on the TMBG web page Sunday. I'm going to try now though. Eye don't want the whirled, Eye just want Hugh Hefner, Ben or Been On a Quest to Educate the World about General Semantics ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 09:39:34 -0500 (EST) From: noise Subject: Jealousy! I'm sure I spelled that wrong. (I'm writing with pine--please forgive any bad spelling errors--this is slow as hell...) COULD SOMEONE PLEASE FIND OUT IF ANYONE GOT A BOOT FOR THAT CONCERT? PLEASE? I would pay much. There wer people moshing to TMBG? Strange... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 15:45:41 -0500 From: stjtc02@moravian.edu (JEREMY CAMPBELL) Subject: joker they played joker in the encore at the show i saw in jersey last fall. Before that show they did a short set at a cd store near by which was vwry cool and included mammel it was very cool jeremy ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 16:51:11 EST Subject: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-36 About the song "Spiralling Shape," They played it at the Boston show last month too! Linnel said the same thing about them never having played it live before, and I believe he mentioned that it may be on a future soundtrack, but he didn't say which one.... :) It was an excellent song! -Tara ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:12:25 -0500 From: STLJP01@moravian.edu (LISA PAINTON) Subject: Re: joker >they played joker in the encore at the show i saw in jersey last fall. >Before that show they did a short set at a cd store near by which was vwry >cool and included mammel it was very cool >jeremy Hey Jeremy! You go to my school. I think I was at both of those concerts, too. Was the short set at a cd world? They were both two really cool concerts. I think the fact that the main concert was in such a small theater and I sat up so close really enhanced the quality of the show. It had to be the BEST concert I have EVER been to. Lisa. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 14:34:02 -0800 From: The Girl From Venus Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 >Not-so-scarry BTS Girl should be called: >Yorrick (i knew her well) > >may the force be with you >daniel > Actually, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the skull to be named Yorick? GFV ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 16:31:59 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: TMBG in sign language Hey, since the topic of having a sign language interpreter at a 'Giants concert came up, I thought I'd pass along a wee little anecdote. I took a sign class last semester, and part of the final exam was to bring in a song and interpret it while the class listened. I decided to sign "Morphee" by Moxy Fruvous, but since it was kinda short I had to do another in addition, so I chose "Dead". So if anybody needs to know how to do either of these songs in American Sign Language, let me know ;) Moxy fans will realize that "Morphee" is in French, which presented an interesting challenge. I had to get it translated from French to English to ASL, so it probably got pretty mangled in the process. Incidentally, I'm fairly certain that song is full of drug references, or else some very obscure French idioms :) I'll be happy to forward the English translation if anybody's interested... stay cool everybody, They Might Be Josh - got an A in the class, BTW! -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ They Might Be Josh Raulerson ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu <><><><> The Fauves Homepage is back: http:www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html - Now 100% Crash-proof! "If I had $1000000, I'd buy you the Republican nomination..." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 18:42:44 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 >>Not-so-scarry BTS Girl should be called: >>Yorrick (i knew her well) >> >>may the force be with you >>daniel >> >Actually, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the skull to be named Yorick? > GFV Besides, then somebody would have to be Horatio, since Hamlet never actually says "I knew him well..." Instead, he says, "I knew him, *Horatio*..." It's kinda like Humphry Bogart never saying "Play it again, Sam," and Capt. Kirk never saying "Beam me up, Scotty." Not exactly TMBG stuff, but related in a way... ___________________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "I'm sorry if I broke your heart. Here's 50 bucks. Go buy some glue..." -From an otherwise useless song whose name escapes me ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Yorrick Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 20:31:47 -0500 (EST) > > >Not-so-scarry BTS Girl should be called: > >Yorrick (i knew her well) > > > >may the force be with you > >daniel > > > Actually, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the skull to be named Yorick? Actually, we're talking about TMBG here, the girl would be Yorick 8-) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Spiralling Shape Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 20:33:50 -0500 (EST) The Dukes of Hazard are on TNN!!!!!! yehaw!!!!!!!! Could someone describe Spiralling Shape in detail? What type of TMBG song is it? Thankee! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 21:12:34 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-33 On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > >>Not-so-scarry BTS Girl should be called: > >>Yorrick (i knew her well) > >> > >>may the force be with you > >>daniel > >> > >Actually, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the skull to be named Yorick? > > GFV > > Besides, then somebody would have to be Horatio, since Hamlet never > actually says "I knew him well..." Instead, he says, "I knew him, > *Horatio*..." It's kinda like Humphry Bogart never saying "Play it again, > Sam," and Capt. Kirk never saying "Beam me up, Scotty." Not exactly TMBG > stuff, but related in a way... Bogart never really said "Play it again, Sam". The line was just "Play it, Sam". However, the not-right line sounds better than the right line, so why did I even bring this up? Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a Casablanca expert! :) Luv! 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "I didn't apologise for when I was eight and I made my younger brother have to be my personal slave." - They Might Be Giants, "Dead" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 21:27:00 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Spiralling Shape > Could someone describe Spiralling Shape in detail? What type of TMBG song is it? > Thankee! > Matt Well, it's hard to describe, and I don't remember entirely distinctly... It's a more beatiful kind of slow yet not slow song. I know, I know, that doesn't tell you much! But that's pretty much all I can remember-- It had a catchy tune, but was more laid back than some of Their songs... Maybe more along the lines of end of the tour? I know Linnel (I think so anyway!) played keyboard, not accordion. hmm, sorry i couldn't tell you more, Matt! Love, Fran aka The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 22:06:11 -0800 From: gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) Subject: Theme from Flood??? >7. Is there a version of Flood w/ alternate lyrics to "Theme from Flood" >advertising Apollo 18? Wha??? So... is there? Or wha??? And how come no one seemed to care about these fantastically interesting trivia questions: 1. What classic song by what singer is "Minimum Wage" modeled after? 2. What TV commercial features identical "Yo Yo Yo" vocals, like those found in "Mr. Me"? (And which came first, the TMBG song or the commercial?) 3. Whose voice is sampled for use in "Lady Is a Tramp"? Just wasting time as usual... ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: trivia Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 01:23:31 -0500 (EST) > > >7. Is there a version of Flood w/ alternate lyrics to "Theme from Flood" > > >advertising Apollo 18? > > > > Wha??? So... is there? Or wha??? And how come no one seemed to care > > about these fantastically interesting trivia questions: I guess because nobody knows the answers? -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 00:26:23 -0600 (CST) From: Pariah Subject: I've got something in my pocket... That belongs across my face. If you were ever a Girl Scout, you'll understand. Well. I just thought I'd drop a line to you kids, since I haven't said anything in a while. Do you know, the last time They played in Texas was in December of 1994, at Texas A&M, the school I'm at now. I just got a hold of one of the publicity posters from that show, and it's so adorable...it says when it is and all, and then, for location, it has "Rudder Auditorium (not Constantinople.)" Oh, what fun! I only wish I'd been a student here then. Ok. I'm done. By the way, does anyone have an address for Ed's Redeeming Qualities? Like, a record company where I can get their albums or something? That was my real purpose in writing. -Jenny, who's suddenly miserably in love with the Ben Folds Five, yet she cannot find anything by them in any record stores around here...*sigh* Look at my home page, people! it's http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-37 *****************************