Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-38 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 38 Wednesday, 7 February 1996 Today's Topics: Magritte in Piece Face? Wanting Rarities! Live in NY DIFFERENCES! more vote updates fried eggs and cement does a dali make Re: Magritte in Piece Face? TMBG on Columbia House power of dial-a-song oooh,oooh,oooh! another update Re: I've got something in my pocket... Particle Man Particle Man Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:19:50 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Magritte in Piece Face? Ben or Been here, quite speculative. . . Listening to the concert version of "Chess Piece Face" on the _Live in NY_ CD, I thought about the painter Rene Magritte. Magritte is an awesome fellow, dead though. He painted what some call "surrealist" portraits, but that label may falsely lead one to think of the dreamlike paintings of Dali. Well, Magritte painted many a painting having bodies that were just chess pieces. They stand like human beings on occasion, and have orb heads--the tops of standard pawns. Whatever happened to Chess Piece Face? Now, I know Chess Piece Face is a trucker friend of Rabid Child. How did he get his name? Does he have a face like a pawn, or might there exist Magritte influences? Anyone with more insight? Ben or Been Non-Aristotelian or Bust ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:14:10 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Wanting Rarities! Hello all, I am whining again, First of all, I will go to great lengths to get ahold of any TMBG album I don't have. Insanity, no? I have all the albums and Back to Skull, Don't Let's Start and WDTSS?. Second of all, yes, They fans would love Barenaked Ladies. If you haven't heard anything by them, they did that little filler for Fox Kids (the Ballad of(??), about a Martian...) They're pretty interesting and one of their albums is called "Maybe you should drive" and has an old man on a tricycle on the front. Third of all, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS SONG AT RISERBOY@AOL.COM!!! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:33:32 -0800 Subject: Live in NY DIFFERENCES! Benjamin Hauck said: > >I am an owner now of both the Aussie import of _John Henry_ which includes >a six-song excerpt from the 10/14/94 concert, and the _Live in New York_ >CD that the Hello Club offered. > >I have noticed one difference in the songs! > >"Ana Ng" on the Hello album, at the part when a woman would say "I don't >want the world, etc.," has nothing but what-I-would-call humming sounds. >On the import version, someone (I think Flansburgh) screams in a scratchy >mic the "want the world" line. I'm curious why one version has the talk >and another doesn't. Two songs on the Australian _Live New York City_ release were apparently remixed and overdubs added: "Ana Ng", as you described, and "Birdhouse In Your Soul", although I'm not sure exactly what is different. Anybody out there care to send me a copy of _Live New York City_? -- John -- http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 22:32:01 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: more vote updates Hello once again. Polls close on 2/12, so vote now for the We Wanna Be Giants, Too project. I somehow missed a bunch of votes; the last one I have is from M@t Coon. Please re-vote if you'd be so kind. anyway... here's the standings: 4 votes She's an Angel 3 votes Cowtown 2 votes Welcome 2 the Jungle Aka driver end o' tour every other voted song dead todler highway ant james K. Polk Rhythm section... ...puppethead birdhouse statue got me hi biggest one you'll miss me 50 states turn around ...nuts at x-mas they'll need a crane letterbox ana ng fingertips mr. claw particle man don't let's start the end! voting ends on 2/12!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:45:24 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: fried eggs and cement does a dali make verily, verily been or ben hath said: > Magritte is an awesome fellow, dead though. He painted what some call > "surrealist" portraits, but that label may falsely lead one to think of the > dreamlike paintings of Dali. > Well, Magritte painted many a painting having bodies that were just chess > pieces. They stand like human beings on occasion, and have orb heads--the > tops of standard pawns. Whatever happened to Chess Piece Face? > Now, I know Chess Piece Face is a trucker friend of Rabid Child. How did > he get his name? Does he have a face like a pawn, or might there exist > Magritte influences? > Anyone with more insight? i thought you would never ask. i love magritte and saw a show in chicago of magritte stuff a few years ago, and i'm suprised i didn't think of the chess piece thing...anyway, magritte and dali were both involved in andre breton's movement of surrealism in paris. i think i remember reading something about a time when magritte and dali spent some time together and if i recall correctly, dali admired magritte. i did some research on dali last year, and it seems our little salvador liked to chew on bats covered in ants. yes, bats. bats have been known to have rabies. coincidence? you decide..... aims back in the saddle again.... ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ and though i once preferred a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me... aimee "grace" pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:15:32 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Magritte in Piece Face? On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > Ben or Been here, quite speculative. . . > > Well, Magritte painted many a painting having bodies that were just chess > pieces. They stand like human beings on occasion, and have orb heads--the > tops of standard pawns. Whatever happened to Chess Piece Face? > > Now, I know Chess Piece Face is a trucker friend of Rabid Child. How did > he get his name? Does he have a face like a pawn, or might there exist > Magritte influences? Are you sure you're not thinking of his paintings of people who's faces were apples? I'm no expert, but I don't recall ever having seen a painting by Magritte with an orb for a head. I have seen several, though, with apples swapped for heads. Usually, the unfortunate person is also wearing a suit and a bowler hat. Mark ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 6 Feb 96 11:52:18 MST Subject: TMBG on Columbia House If any are planning to join on their new offer of get 7 buy 1 get 4 more, they have the following TMBG albums: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS JOHN HENRY 101139 Y Y THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS FLOOD 404376 Y Y THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS APOLLO 18 435768 Y Y ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Veruca555@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 15:14:30 -0500 Subject: power of dial-a-song hi. does anyone have a copy of the "Power of dial-A-Song" album or the "Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band" album he or she might wanna copy for me? ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:02:35 -0500 Subject: oooh,oooh,oooh! hey, that new song, "Spiralling Shapes" is on a new Kids In The Hall movie soundtrack. neither the soundtrack nor the movie is out yet (wahhhh!!) but i'm sure when it is we'll al be rushing to our nearset local record store and BUY THEM OUT. i also caught the show in Boston on Jan. 20. really rad show. however, i do wonder why those youngin's think it's kosher to mosh. it's just gross. Llama grrl ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 21:38:13 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: another update hi again. 5 votes- She's an Angel 4 votes- Cowtown 2 votes- Dead Welcome 2 the Jungle AKA Driver End of tour Birdhouse Statue got me high everybody else- Todler highway Ant Mr. J.K.Polk Rhythm Section want ad puppethead Biggest one You'll miss me 50 states turn around ...nuts at x-mas they'll need a crane letterbox ana ng mr. claw fingertips particle man don't let's start son of god whew.... The above is the standings for "the project." Vote early, vote often. Vote now. lebo ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:32:41 -0500 Subject: Re: I've got something in my pocket... >-Jenny, who's suddenly miserably in love with the Ben Folds Five, yet she >cannot find anything by them in any record stores around here...*sigh* > >Look at my home page, people! it's http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html > and I thought it was Sven Foltz... the Ben Foltz... oh well ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 23:12:15 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Particle Man For the following fights, here's what would happen: Triangle beats Particle Man. Triangle Man beats Person Man. I want to know the other matches. Who would win the following: Person Man vs. Particle Man Person Man vs. Universe Man Particle Man vs. Universe Man (Usually kind to smaller man, but what about his time?) And does Universe Man ever fight? Would he be able to beat Triangle Man? I have too much free time. ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Particle Man Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 01:39:30 -0500 (EST) > > For the following fights, here's what would happen: > Triangle beats Particle Man. > Triangle Man beats Person Man. > > I want to know the other matches. > Who would win the following: > Person Man vs. Particle Man > Person Man vs. Universe Man > Particle Man vs. Universe Man (Usually kind to smaller man, but what about > his time?) > > And does Universe Man ever fight? Would he be able to beat Triangle Man? > I have too much free time. I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, Peson Man, and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-38 *****************************