Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-39 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 39 Thursday, 8 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Particle Man (none) Re: Particle Man Re: Particle Man grate expectorations FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! Universe Man I need your lyrical help!! 8 ) Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!! Re: Particle Man another update blah The Particle, Person, Triangle, and Universe saga. Re: Magritte in Piece Face? Alrighty Re: Magritte in Piece Face? what the hell? begin rudeness here: Re: what the hell? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 7 Feb 96 08:22:35 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (sunny) Subject: Re: Particle Man >I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, Peson Man, >and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm >Matt nah, triangle man hates person man and particle man, besides universe man IS as the size of the universe. i go with universe. jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com Real Programmers strive to insult users with error messages. ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 12:02:08 -0600 (CST) Triangle-man would never team up with person-man or particleman because "Triangle-man hates particleman...{and} personman." You guys on the East Coast are so lucky. They haven't been to Tulsa in a long while and we never get any They imports. Enough of my whining... Chris - who all too often feels like personman. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 11:36:24 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Particle Man At 01:39 AM 2/7/96 -0500, you wrote: >> >> For the following fights, here's what would happen: >> Triangle beats Particle Man. >> Triangle Man beats Person Man. >> >> I want to know the other matches. >> Who would win the following: >> Person Man vs. Particle Man >> Person Man vs. Universe Man >> Particle Man vs. Universe Man (Usually kind to smaller man, but what about >> his time?) >> >> And does Universe Man ever fight? Would he be able to beat Triangle Man? >> I have too much free time. >I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, Peson Man, >and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm >Matt > >-- {excessively long .sig deleted} Your premise is wrong, because the only team would be Particle and Person because they are both pissed off at Triangle for beating them. So it would be person and particle -vs- Universe...I think Universe wins. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:20:33 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: Particle Man you forget that Universe man is usually kind to smaller men. He probably just wouldn't fight. On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, sunny wrote: > > >I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, > Peson Man, > >and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm > >Matt > > > nah, triangle man hates person man and particle man, besides universe man IS > as the size of the universe. i go with universe. > > jenn > ____________________________________________________________________ > jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter > e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com > Real Programmers strive to insult users with error messages. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 17:28:16 -0500 (EST) From: "Near, Eric" Subject: grate expectorations Organization: Ironton Jr Hi School (Ohio) Any info on a concert near the southern ohio area? I need music!!!!! Gotta check out Camelot soon... I only have Flood, John Henry, and Apollo 18. I think Apollo 18 is the best I have, tho I would kill to get a copy of Dr. Spock's Backup Band. She's Actual Size is my favorite song. The saxophone part is cool. On Flood, Sapphire Bullets... is my favorite. ********************************************************************** * This is the vehicle, these are the people, you opened the doors * * and expelled all the people... * * -TMBG, The End of the Tour * ********************************************************************** Eric Near ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 16:58:08 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! > From: Matthew James > Subject: Particle Man > Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 01:39:30 -0500 (EST) > I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, > Person Man, and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm Particle Man, Person Man, and Triangle Man would transform and mold together to make some transformers-esqe giant (a la Devastator), but Universe Man would have the Autobot Matrix and destroy him kinda like Rodimus Prime and Unicrom. (by the way, if you haven't seen the transformers movie or shows this won't make any sense to you. if it doesn't make sense, go down to your local video store right now, and rent "TRANSFORMERS: the movie") you wanna know something? i spend WAY too much time in my own little fantasy world. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 17:19:18 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! >> I believe Universe Man could beat up anyone, but what if Particle Man, >> Person Man, and Triangle Man teamed up on himn? hmmmmm > >Particle Man, Person Man, and Triangle Man would transform and mold >together to make some transformers-esqe giant (a la Devastator), but >Universe Man would have the Autobot Matrix and destroy him kinda like >Rodimus Prime and Unicrom. yes, well all of those "men," if put together would probably, right this very minute, fight the telecommunications act that has passed Congress and is in President Clinton's hands right now. check out the website http://www.nuvo.net/darkness and join in the campaign against internet censorship. sorry about the lack of tmb content, but it had to be said. paul leonard ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Universe Man Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:56:42 -0500 (EST) > > Triangle-man would never team up with person-man or particleman because > "Triangle-man hates particleman...{and} personman." ya know I was wondering, where does Universe Man go when his watch breaks? And also can you imagine how slowly that Eon hand goes around? He'd never know if it stopped working or not! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: CK8@JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 18:57:00 -0500 (EST) Subject: I need your lyrical help!! 8 ) Hi guys! I need your help. A professor of mine found out that I was a big TMBG fan and he asked me to help him identify a song. He said that he had heard a song (by TMBG) with the word 'macrobiotic' in it, and something about ice cream in a cart and it tearing us apart. (big help, right?) Well, he asked me to see if I had the song in my colletion and he wanted a copy. Well, I really have no idea what song he is talking about (and I thought I knew them all! haha) I don't know if it's something really obvious that I'm just not seeing, or if maybe he's mistaken and there really is no such song by TMBG. Either way, I'd like to find this song for my prof (brownie points, I admit it!!!). So, guys....any leads? If you can, please help me. Sorry I can't provide more info about the song, but that's all he could recall. If any of you DO happen to recognize this song, please ples e email me : ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu Thanks a bunch!!! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!! Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:15:01 -0600 (CST) > you wanna know something? > i spend WAY too much time in my own little fantasy world. Oh, come on. You can NEVER spend too much time in a little fantasy world. I mean, geez! What do you expect us to do? Face reality? *Never!* -CJ PS: Email the prez! president@whitehouse.gov Not like he reads them, but someone will mark a check in the appropriate box! /--\ CJ "Cyborg" Kucera | Who made the world I cannot tell; | | St. Norbert College | 'Tis made, and here I am in hell. | | kucecj@sncac.snc.edu | My hand, though now my knuckles bleed, | | | |-\ /-\ /-\ /-\ | I never soiled with such a deed. \--/ \_| \_/ \_/ | \_| | __| __| | - A. E. Housman -------+++++++=======<<<<<<>>>>>>=======++++++-------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 22:35:02 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Particle Man On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Andy Friedman wrote: > I want to know the other matches. > Who would win the following: > Person Man vs. Particle Man Person Man... he's biger > Person Man vs. Universe Man Universe Man... he's bigger > Particle Man vs. Universe Man (Usually kind to smaller man, but what about > his time?) Universe Man... guess why!!! Of course Universe Man fights... cauze he's "usually kind," not always kind. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:05:06 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: another update I find it interesting that people have been questiong how many votes are allowed; I never put a limit on them. You guys are too nice. I was expecting much ballot stuffing going on. Anyway, three (3) is the most... you know, three songs for the experiment, three votes? make sence? good. you're too nice. and now, more results... drasticaly reduced to songs with plural votes. 6 - She's an Angel 4 - Cowtown 3 - Birdhouse in your soul 2 - Dead Welcome 2 the Jungle AKA Driver End of the TOUR Statue got me high You'll miss me They'll need a crane voting ends 2/12. lebo ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: blah Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:51:52 -0500 (EST) Well I'm looking at my CD case and it is rather bare of TMBG stuff, cause my stupid friend took all the singles agggghghghghghg! Ok I'm better. As far as Person, Triangle, and Particle Man are concerned they better hope that if they do have to fight Universe man they fight him when the minute, millenium, and eon hand are meetinb because then it is Happy Land and who really wants to fight when it's Happy Land? Also, it says in my liner notes that Person Man beat up Triangle Man once. Matt P.S. Did anyone see Law and Order "A Trail of Two Cities " tonight? It was very good and to be continued in Baltimore (I think, yeah!) on Homicide on Friday, watch for it! -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:27:13 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: The Particle, Person, Triangle, and Universe saga. Personally, I think that if Triangle man were to team up with Person Man and Particle Man, it would denote some abnormalities in his psyche. You see, if he hated them, he wouldn't be able to properly team up with them... he would subconsciously try to make them all lose. However, this is not the way of professional Wrestlers - they are merely who their promoters want them to be. But then why would the put these three together against the generally good-natured Universe man? Ah, here's where it get's tricky. Either U. wins, and goodness prevails over indifference; the 3 win, and a rematch is scheduled; or Triangle Man reverts to his old evil self, and everyone else beats the crap out of him. Then again, maybe not. :) I'm so confused..... 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "I didn't apologise for when I was eight and I made my younger brother have to be my personal slave." - They Might Be Giants, "Dead" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:34:27 -0600 (CST) From: Aloysius Snuffleupagus Subject: Re: Magritte in Piece Face? On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > Are you sure you're not thinking of his paintings of people who's > faces were apples? I'm no expert, but I don't recall ever having seen a > painting by Magritte with an orb for a head. I have seen several, though, > with apples swapped for heads. Usually, the unfortunate person is also > wearing a suit and a bowler hat. Ahh. The painting you are referring to is Le Fils de(l) Homme, or, the Son of Man. It's only one painting. Granted, fruit-faced boys in bowler hats are a signature of Magritte's, but he's also got lots of paintings of clouds, and naked faceless women, and all sorts of things. He's kind of sick, but that's what makes him groovy. I can see where TMBG might pick up a Chess Piece face reference from Magritte, though. Jenny, who's favorite painter in the world just happens to be Rene Magritte. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 21:52:46 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Alrighty My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 01:29:57 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Magritte in Piece Face? On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Aloysius Snuffleupagus wrote: > > > On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > Are you sure you're not thinking of his paintings of people who's > > faces were apples? I'm no expert, but I don't recall ever having seen a > > painting by Magritte with an orb for a head. I have seen several, though, > > with apples swapped for heads. Usually, the unfortunate person is also > > wearing a suit and a bowler hat. > > Ahh. The painting you are referring to is Le Fils de(l) Homme, or, the > Son of Man. It's only one painting. Granted, fruit-faced boys in bowler > hats are a signature of Magritte's, but he's also got lots of paintings > of clouds, and naked faceless women, and all sorts of things. He's kind > of sick, but that's what makes him groovy. I can see where TMBG might > pick up a Chess Piece face reference from Magritte, though. > > Jenny, who's favorite painter in the world just happens to be Rene Magritte. > The connection is pretty apparent, seeing as how Flans was a visual arts major at Pratt, and Magritte usually gets an entire session to himself in any modern art class. I can't say I personally think of his work as being as brilliant as you do, though... Maybe a song about Mondrian... -Slacker Ng ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 00:40:34 CST From: Anal fixation boy Subject: what the hell? I would just like to say that all of you TMBG fanatics out there are taking things a little too far with this "who would beat who competition " from one song that they wrote years ago. I am positive that TMBG didn' t really think that much into the song. To make such a big deal abo ut such a obscure topic is ludicrous, too say the least. I mean get a li fe! It is just a song, and a song that really has no meaning. So pleas se do not clutter up my life with topics that pertain to nothing. I join ed this list too find out the latest info. on a band that I enjoy to lis ten to, so please I ask of you all too quit the nonsense. Thank You, K-t orr ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:59:31 -0600 From: paul the unraveller Subject: begin rudeness here: true, the discussion of who could take who in a fight of the tmbg-men is a bit odd, but that's what you get for being on this list. we're here to discuss they might be giants, their music, their ideas, yes news about what's going on with them, their songs and what they're about. if you're not up for silly conversations you're probably on the wrong mailing list... and i bet even person man could take you... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 01:38:06 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: what the hell? At 12:40 am 2/8/96, Anal fixation boy wrote: >I would just like to say that all of you TMBG fanatics out there are >taking things a little too far with this "who would beat who competition >" from one song that they wrote years ago. I am positive that TMBG didn' >t really think that much into the song. To make such a big deal abo >ut such a obscure topic is ludicrous, too say the least. I mean get a li >fe! It is just a song, and a song that really has no meaning. So pleas >se do not clutter up my life with topics that pertain to nothing. I join >ed this list too find out the latest info. on a band that I enjoy to lis >ten to, so please I ask of you all too quit the nonsense. Thank You, K-t >orr That you can dismiss any of the Giants songs as without meaning (except perhaps "Minimum Wage") is even more ludicrous. The best thing about almost all of the songs is that there are dozens of hidden puns and obliques that are usually found only on repeated listening. Maybe not the meaning of life, but many are nontheless worthy of pondering, IMHO. But on to the real point... the mailing list (from what I understand--and I've been wrong before) is meant to be a sort of discussion forum about such "obscure" topics as who would win in a fight with Universe Man and where exactly Ana Ng lives. If all you really want is band info, check the home page. This is a place for the open exchange of ideas, no matter how irrelevant they may seem to anyone at any time. If you find the topics of discussion on this list do not sufficiently stimulate your intellectual prowess, fell free to subscribe to Mizzou's Creative Writing List; you'll receive 150 messages a day about subjects as banal as the status of everyone's dirty laundry pile. The winner of the Particle Man fights seems fascinating by comparison... Jenna D., who apologizes to all the Crewtons who may be subscribed to this list for that last comment, and really didn't mean for this to be such a flame... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-39 *****************************