Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 40 Friday, 9 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Alrighty Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! Re: what the hell? The Web Page universe man Magritte, Chess Piece, and Cortney Magritte, Chess Piece Face, and Cortney Crash My Bicycle Re: Magritte, Chess Piece, and Cortney Re: Alrighty Re: Crash My Bicycle The Particle, Person, Triangle, and Universe saga. Alrighty Re: what the hell? Re: what the hell? Another Message from Dilemna Central... Re: Alrighty Re: what the hell? Re: Particle Man Re: Alrighty Re: Alrighty all that fighting More on the Men On The Back Of The Spot where would universe man be, if he is the size of the universe. Re: Alrighty Re: universe man Re: Alrighty Re: Magritte in Piece Face? Re: Alrighty just lttle and short (sorry) Re: Alrighty Re: On The Back Of The Spot "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." Re: Alrighty Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." Re: The Web Page Re: Alrighty Re: Alrighty Re: Alrighty Re: On The Back Of The Spot Re: Alrighty Re: just lttle and short (sorry) Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 05:23:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: Alrighty On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Rian Rutherford wrote: > My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the > size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe > because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). > He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but > if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > | garthi@teleport.com | > ------------------------------------------------------------ > | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| > | helps to know the answer. | > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > Well, Universe man IS the universe...He's the all encompassing presence that is the planets and stars, etc...I think.. That was almots my dime and a half.. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 10:58:21 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > Particle Man, Person Man, and Triangle Man would transform and mold > together to make some transformers-esqe giant (a la Devastator), but > Universe Man would have the Autobot Matrix and destroy him kinda like > Rodimus Prime and Unicrom. Rodimus Prime??? Do you mean Optimus Prime? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:05:34 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: what the hell? On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Anal fixation boy wrote: > I would just like to say that all of you TMBG fanatics out there are > taking things a little too far with this "who would beat who competition > " from one song that they wrote years ago. I am positive that TMBG didn' > t really think that much into the song. To make such a big deal abo > ut such a obscure topic is ludicrous, too say the least. I mean get a li > fe! It is just a song, and a song that really has no meaning. So pleas > se do not clutter up my life with topics that pertain to nothing. I join > ed this list too find out the latest info. on a band that I enjoy to lis > ten to, so please I ask of you all too quit the nonsense. Thank You, K-t > orr But it's fun and silly and brings a smile to my face, Mr Anal Fixation party pooper. I bet you agree with that bloke on Monty Python when he says "This is all getting far too silly"... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 07:05:03 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: The Web Page If you think http://www.tmbg.org/ looks terrible at the moment, I agree. You'll just have to deal with it for 48 hours until the vigil to protest the Telecomm bill is over. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 96 08:17:42 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: universe man well, someone asked if universe man is as big as the en-tire universe, then what/where is he? well, i would say that he might just be going at trans-warp (warp 10) and he is everywhere and everything. :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 09:02:46 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Magritte, Chess Piece, and Cortney Ben or Been. I'm here. Cortney pointed out to me that in the TMBG Early Years FAQ "Chess Piece Face" was a nickname for someone I think who worked on a paper with one of the Johns. Although this does not disprove that the song "Chess Piece Face" could deal with Magritte, the name does not stem from his painting. If you disagree, flame me with fire and call me Korzybski, Ben or Been Call me Korzybski ------------------------------ From: CK8@JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 09:55:22 -0500 (EST) Subject: Magritte, Chess Piece Face, and Cortney Ben (Been) I did not intend to disprove your Magritte theory...actually, the theory is still entirely possible and plausible! I just happened to read in TMBG's early years FAQ that the John's (who met while working together on their high school newspaper) dubbed another annoying member 'Chess Piece Face.' However, perhaps Magritte can still come into play. They had to come up with their nickname SOMEWHERE...just because they christened a person with it rather than a song doesn't mean that Magritte had no influence on the name! So, maybe the truth is a combination of both of our theories - Magritte was the origin of the name 'Chess Piece Face' (or at least the inspiration) and it just was borrowed along the way!!! (wow, what teamwork!) What do ya think? sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 09:04:33 -0600 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: Crash My Bicycle Has anyone had any luck deciphering the lyrics to South Carolina/Crash My Bicycle on Linnell's State Songs EP from Hello? I'm picking up most of it here and there, but some of it still eludes me. Thanks, 'I was an 'i' and now I am a... V. -------------------- Editor CHS Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 10:09:29 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Magritte, Chess Piece, and Cortney On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > Piece Face" was a nickname for someone I think who worked on a paper with > one of the Johns. Although this does not disprove that the song "Chess I believe it was a derogatory nickname for someone who worked at a record store with one of them (more or less quoting). For some reason I also seem to think it was for one of their high school teachers, but I think the first one's prolly true. Also, about the particle man thing being unrelated. _If_ you think the song is about nothing with characters that are about nothing, then wouldn't you expect that would produce a thread about (shock) nothing? And besides, why are you worried about things seeming a little odd (the thread), you are a TMBG fan, aren't you? - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: deputy dog Subject: Re: Alrighty Date: Thu, 8 Feb 96 11:12:32 EST > > My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the > size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe > because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). > He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but > if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) > > note that universe man is the 'size' of the entire universe. does size not imply three dimensions? however, this does not rule out the possibility that universe man exists within other dimensions as well. perhaps this would explain the reference to time. also, while we're on this song, has anyone ever thought about it in relation to the trinity? you have particle man(holy spirit) which is intangible, person man(jesus) who is degraded and abused, and universe man(god) who is clearly vast and there are clear implications of the trancendence of space and time. finally, triangle man beats up person and particle, which is sort of symbolic of the repression of those two into the bounds of the trinity. maybe? maybe not? just thinkin' farside ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:17:43 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: Crash My Bicycle as far as I can tell, it's about a guy and his neighbor who get rich by faking injuries form a bicycle crash. I think that the "I" is the shape of him standing upright, and the "V" is the shape of him in the hospital bed (with arms and legs in casts, being held up) On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen wrote: > Has anyone had any luck deciphering the lyrics to South Carolina/Crash My > Bicycle on Linnell's State Songs EP from Hello? I'm picking up most of it > here and there, but some of it still eludes me. Thanks, > > 'I was an 'i' and now I am a... > V. > > -------------------- > Editor > CHS Public Affairs > UW-Madison > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: The Particle, Person, Triangle, and Universe saga. Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:11:29 -0500 (EST) > > Personally, I think that if Triangle man were to team up with Person Man > and Particle Man, it would denote some abnormalities in his psyche. You > see, if he hated them, he wouldn't be able to properly team up with > them... he would subconsciously try to make them all lose. However, this > is not the way of professional Wrestlers - they are merely who their > promoters want them to be. But then why would the put these three > together against the generally good-natured Universe man? Ah, here's > where it get's tricky. Either U. wins, and goodness prevails over > indifference; the 3 win, and a rematch is scheduled; or Triangle Man > reverts to his old evil self, and everyone else beats the crap out of > him. Then again, maybe not. :) Ahh a good point. I will refer to the classics now, namely Thomas Hobbes and his writings in the book Leviathan. Hobbes would say that Triangle, Particle, and person man must give up their rights to Universe man as sovereign over them so that they will not return to the State of Nature and kill themselves. Now if you turn to an author like Machiavelli and his writings of the Prince you must think that Universe Man, pretty much being in charge will want to weaken the others but make them think they are doing ok in society, for the prince will rule only when his subjects do not betray him. Now in wrestling, there's a simple theory, James K. Polk and the Big Blue Dog would come from outside, distract the ref knock Universe Man against the corner pole and get the submission! Matt Ok, my politics class is influencing me a bit too much ;) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Alrighty Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:15:21 -0500 (EST) > > My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the > size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe > because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). > He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but > if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) I'm thinking, that in a strange way, we and everything else may in fact be a part of Universe Man. Universe Man is a sort of metaphor for life, the universe, and everything. Any ideas? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:31:02 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: what the hell? You apparently haven't been paying attention. Yes, this IS a list where you can get info on Them, but it is also a place where we can TALK about anything pertaining to Them. But anyway; it's best to bear with or ignore the "fun" conversations if all ya want is info. This is probably the best place to get REALLY rare tapes & stuff..... and philosophise about lyrics...... and figure out who would beat Universe man in a fair fight.... :) Luv, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "I didn't apologise for when I was eight and I made my younger brother have to be my personal slave." - They Might Be Giants, "Dead" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 12:59:29 -0500 (CDT) From: charma21@gbvaxa.uwgb.edu Subject: Re: what the hell? On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > > That you can dismiss any of the Giants songs as without meaning (except > perhaps "Minimum Wage") is even more ludicrous. The best thing about >almost all of the songs is that there are dozens of hidden puns and >obliques that are usually found only on repeated listening. Maybe not the > meaning of life, but many are nontheless worthy of pondering, IMHO. Even to dismiss Minimum Wage would be wrong...As I see it, the whole sone is a comment on working for minimum wage, and how it makes employees feel like slaves... Molly ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:57:18 -0600 (CST) From: Aloysius Snuffleupagus Subject: Another Message from Dilemna Central... Ugh, decisions, decisions. This has nothing to do with Them, but I thought this would be a good place to get some input. Frank Black is playing in Houston on Saturday, Feb. 24th, and I'm supposed to be in Houston that day anyway, for a dentist appointment, so I want to go. The only thing is, that same weekend is the Texas Film festival, and John Landis, director of such poetic flicks as Blues Brothers and Animal House, is going to be speaking, followed by a screening of Blues Brothers. Ugh. What would you do? -Jenny, who positive that everyone is trying to kill her. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 14:01:44 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: Alrighty At 01:15 PM 2/8/96 -0500, Matthew James wrote: >> >> My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the >> size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe >> because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). >> He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but >> if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) >I'm thinking, that in a strange way, we and everything else may in fact >be a part of Universe Man. Universe Man is a sort of metaphor for life, >the universe, and everything. Any ideas? life, the universe, and everything? you mean like the answer to the question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" you mean like 42? paul, who enjoys reading strange books by douglas adams ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:34:43 -0500 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: what the hell? At 01:38 AM 2/8/96 -0600, you wrote: > > That you can dismiss any of the Giants songs as without meaning (except >perhaps "Minimum Wage") is even more ludicrous. The best thing about (snip) You've obviously never worked for minimum wage. :) Bob -- (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering These views are not the views of the University of Tennessee, a fact which should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:01:55 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: Particle Man Hey I had this thought, Maybe Particle man could win a fight with universe man. Look at it this way. First Particle man would be steaming after his loss to triangle man. Second, If he could do all of the things a particle can than he must be faster th Uni. And Third, Particle man could just wait until universe man went to happy land. This may take a long time but remembering Newtonion Physics you will recall that matter can never be destroyed. Just My Thoughts Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 16:06:35 -0500 Subject: Re: Alrighty From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Feb 08, 1996 05:23:10, '"Sean M. Stolon" ' wrote: > >Well, Universe man IS the universe...He's the all encompassing presence that is >the planets and stars, etc...I think.. > > >That was almots my dime and a half.. If universe man is the universe, does that mean we're somewhere in his digestive track..... something to think about eh....? -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 16:15:28 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: Alrighty On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Mr. Klaw wrote: > On Feb 08, 1996 05:23:10, '"Sean M. Stolon" ' wrote: > > > > > >Well, Universe man IS the universe...He's the all encompassing presence > that is > >the planets and stars, etc...I think.. > > > > > >That was almots my dime and a half.. > > If universe man is the universe, does that mean we're somewhere in his > digestive track..... > > something to think about eh....? > > -- > "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." > > "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." > -TMBG- > > Mr Klaw.... > That's way too deep for me to ponder..I've got enough on my mind already..Like..When the next tour is..will their ever be another tmbg concert..do I have gas...when can I take a nap...Ah..I'm off on a tangent...I'm leaving before I go too far :).. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 17:29:28 -0500 (EST) From: "Near, Eric" Subject: all that fighting Organization: Ironton Jr Hi School (Ohio) I personally think that all the fighting between said Men is heinous, but kinda sweet, ya know? Wishing I were cool, -Eric Near ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 16:53:46 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: More on the Men VOTE FOR YR FAVORITE TMBG SONG TO RISERBOY@aol.com.... Anyway, Universe Man may be the size of the entire universe, but he can move, can't he? At any given moment, he could be above, below or five million light years from the arena in which they fight. Besides, for someone that big, there could be a time difference. He could not see the minute hand (cuz it moves so fast) and then the eon and milllenium hands would be like hour and minute...just maybe... Do you think John Linnell could beat up John Flansburgh? ;) Please vote! Vote! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: On The Back Of The Spot Date: Thu, 8 Feb 96 17:46:39 18000 Hoopla! This being my first message into the mailing list, I'll keep it short, sweet, and no too obtrusive :)But I'm sure you all will appreciate my oddities. Anyway I pose a question for anyone who ACTUALLY knows the answer, and also a request: When are the Johns' birthdays? -and If you have a copy of early years FAQ, I would appreciate a copy, since the WWW site is crahed :( Oh! And, in case anyone was interested in my objectives, I'm going to be presenting a seminar to my calss on TMBG. I think I would appreciate any suggestions on what songs to play, wideos to show, etc. If you feel heartful enough to contribute, email me at: tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu (In case you didn't know how to REPLY) -Tom I guess (Sleeping In The Flowers) P.S. I want date month and year on those B-days! -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 14:50:48 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: where would universe man be, if he is the size of the universe. easy question and i'll tell you. universe man would be in another dimension along with all the other men. and that dimension is a bit bigger than our universe, so he can fit comfortably. :) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:06:50 -0500 Subject: Re: Alrighty I read somewhere (most likely the FAQ) that all theories of _Particle Man_ representing the Trinity hve been completely denied and that it's just not true....... oh wait, this isn't supposed to be a flame.......... doh doh doh doh doh doh I'm sorry, really ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:06:56 -0500 Subject: Re: universe man >well, someone asked if universe man is as big as the en-tire universe, >then what/where is he? well, i would say that he might just be going at >trans-warp (warp 10) and he is everywhere and everything. :) > that's not possible and shouldn't even work on Star Trek where you stole it from..... me who is planning evolutionary degression ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:06:58 -0500 Subject: Re: Alrighty >My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the >size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe >because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). >He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but >if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) where does the universe end? and if empty space is nothing then what is the nothing outside of the universe? if it were nothing then it must be part of the universe like the rest of the nothing, but if the universe ends what is the stuff on the outside of the universe, it's still there (or not there).... me who wishes the voices would stop ignoring me and start talking to me instead of each other because it is very annoying to be ignored by them who seem to have nothing better to do than talk to each other in my head while me gets very lonely ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:06:52 -0500 Subject: Re: Magritte in Piece Face? In a message dated 96-02-08 00:42:56 EST, you write: >Ahh. The painting you are referring to is Le Fils de(l) Homme, or, the >Son of Man. It's only one painting. Granted, fruit-faced boys in bowler >hats are a signature of Magritte's, but he's also got lots of paintings >of clouds, and naked faceless women, and all sorts of things. He's kind >of sick, but that's what makes him groovy. I can see where TMBG might >pick up a Chess Piece face reference from Magritte, though. This way off the subject, but are the people faceless as if representative of the way you see things in dreams? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:46:36 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: Alrighty On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Sean M. Stolon wrote: > Well, Universe man IS the universe...He's the all encompassing presence > that is the planets and stars, etc...I think.. > > > That was almots my dime and a half.. That can't be possible. I'm sorry, but if Universe man is quite literally the universe... Well... That would just be downright nutty! *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:01:09 -0500 Subject: just lttle and short (sorry) why would "Chess Piece Face" be a deragatory term? i'm not saying that it does sound prticularly flattering, but it could just be descripive, no? ****************************************************************************** ********** * As a great man once said; * * "Oooh! Chili Sauce!!" * * -Morris Day of Morris Day and the Time * ****************************************************************************** ********** Llama grrl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:58:23 -0500 (EST) From: "'Nette Frost" Subject: Re: Alrighty On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Paul Leonard wrote: > At 01:15 PM 2/8/96 -0500, Matthew James wrote: > >> > >> My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the > >> size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe > >> because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). > >> He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but > >> if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) > >I'm thinking, that in a strange way, we and everything else may in fact > >be a part of Universe Man. Universe Man is a sort of metaphor for life, > >the universe, and everything. Any ideas? > > life, the universe, and everything? you mean like the answer to the > question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" you mean like 42? > > paul, who enjoys reading strange books by douglas adams > > Strange? You call the Guide strange? Unkempt, perhaps...... but they always know where their towels are. :) Luv, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "I didn't apologise for when I was eight and I made my younger brother have to be my personal slave." - They Might Be Giants, "Dead" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:08:03 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: On The Back Of The Spot > If you have a copy of early years FAQ, I would appreciate a >copy, since the WWW site is crahed :( You can still get the official copy at: http://www.execpc.com/~jerk/ey_faq.html The one at Bo Orloff's site was outdated anyway. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:30:21 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." who knows who alice really is in the song, "why must i be sad"? and i'm not talking about the 'back to skull' girl for the slew of you are are still obsessed with the naming process. anyone know? anyone? buehler? ferris, ferris buehler? a. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Sunday monkey won't play piano song." -The Beatles, in "Michelle." (that IS what they're saying, isn't it?) aimee elisabeth pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: Alrighty Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:57:19 -0600 (CST) Hm. Here's my thinking on the universe man thing: The universe, for all intents and purposes, can be considered to be infinite, right? Completely infinite... No start, no end, no boundaries, no limits. Right. However, maybe universe man is only a manifestation of what's _physically_ out there. As in, while the universe itself is infinite, the volume of the universe that contains actual matter has to be a finite space (unless you bring in the whole _Guide_ theory on things, which blows mine out the window), so if Universe Man's size is only of the material universe, then he would be finite, and would in fact be a candidate for this fight we seem so keen to put him into. Hm. Strangeness..... :) Just my $.02... Have a nice day, all! /--\ CJ "Cyborg" Kucera | Who made the world I cannot tell; | | St. Norbert College | 'Tis made, and here I am in hell. | | kucecj@sncac.snc.edu | My hand, though now my knuckles bleed, | | | |-\ /-\ /-\ /-\ | I never soiled with such a deed. \--/ \_| \_/ \_/ | \_| | __| __| | - A. E. Housman -------+++++++=======<<<<<<>>>>>>=======++++++-------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 20:06:08 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." >who knows who alice really is in the song, "why must i be sad"? and i'm >not talking about the 'back to skull' girl for the slew of you are are >still obsessed with the naming process. Alice Cooper. Though I am not overly familiar with his work, I understand that the phrases at the end of the song are titles of some of his songs. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 20:09:17 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." > who knows who alice really is in the song, "why must i be sad"? and i'm I thought it was Alice Cooper--isn't that true? I forget the whole story behind it, but I'm pretty sure... Fran aka Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:44:07 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: The Web Page At 07:05 AM 2/8/96 -0600, you wrote: >If you think http://www.tmbg.org/ looks terrible at the moment, I agree. >You'll just have to deal with it for 48 hours until the vigil to protest >the Telecomm bill is over. {His .sig deleted} I don't think that it looks terrible. Okay, well it does look a little strange, but I'd like to commend Jon and Leo for showing their disgust with the internet censorship that has been signed into law, this sad day. I've even changed the Reasons to be Blue Page to black. My pages are all black, also. The URL's are: http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ (index) http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/links.html (links) http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/bluedog.html (Reasons to Be Blue) http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/info.html (some info on me, not that you'd really want to know) ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 23:34:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Alrighty > where does the universe end? and if empty space is nothing then what is the > nothing outside of the universe? if it were nothing then it must be part of > the universe like the rest of the nothing, but if the universe ends what is > the stuff on the outside of the universe, it's still there (or not there).... As it was explained on Earthworm Jim... the universe is like a giant snow-globe, and if you're not careful, some evil being might just try to hire a Nameless Beast to crack it open and destroy us all. lebo, who spends way too much time drinking Too Much Coffee Man Turbo Coffee on Saturday mornings in front of the tube. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Alrighty Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 23:53:28 -0500 (EST) > > >My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the > >size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe > >because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). > >He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but > >if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) > > where does the universe end? and if empty space is nothing then what is the > nothing outside of the universe? if it were nothing then it must be part of > the universe like the rest of the nothing, but if the universe ends what is Well it has been pretty much proven that the Universe is not infinite due to physics so the only answer could be that there is another Universe beyond ours. Or else God is taking up all that space out there or something. Matt still waiting for his O'Tannebaum shirt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 00:24:18 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: Re: Alrighty On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Well it has been pretty much proven that the Universe is not infinite due to > physics so the only answer could be that there is another Universe beyond > ours. Or else God is taking up all that space out there or something. > Matt > still waiting for his O'Tannebaum shirt Let me put it to ya this way..... "And still the universe extends to a place which never ends which is maybe just inside a little jar!!" That's how Yakko puts it....... I think that explains it rather well..... (Or maybe I'm just Animaniacs-obsessed!) Hee hee..... Luv, 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "Never let a man get the upper hand - there's no telling where he might put it." - Piers Anthony, _Man from Mundania_ *-------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:29:49 -0500 Subject: Re: On The Back Of The Spot In a message dated 96-02-08 18:01:32 EST, you write: Comment on "I Palindrome I". Point out that in the palindrome bridge "Son I am able," she said. "Though you scare me." "Watch," said I, "Beloved" "Watch me scare you though." Watch," said she, able am I, son." The beats of that part, if you listen, also form a sort of rythmic patter, reminiscent of a palindrome. 1..2..3..4.., 1.2.1.2., 123 123 123 123, 1..1.2.123 1..2..3..4/ See if you can hear it. Tim in CA Home of the TMBG Hello Club on the Academy BBS (ROBOFX) (209)549-2113 Only the price of a local call to Modesto... >tmbg-list@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:30:56 -0500 Subject: Re: Alrighty I have the full Particle Man theology, taken from the Bible, if you wanna see it. Tim in CA ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:32:45 -0500 Subject: Re: just lttle and short (sorry) "Chess-Piece Face" might be derrogatory if you really do look like the little knight piece... Tim in CA ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:37:42 -0500 Subject: Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." You're correct. And "The Dead" are in there, too, I believe. TIm in CA ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-40 *****************************