Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-41 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 41 Saturday, 10 February 1996 Today's Topics: hairs that fall from the barrel of death sleeping in the flowers? Dr. Kildare Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 RE: alice in "Why Must I Be Sad" Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 Re: sleeping in the flowers? Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." in his tummy! allegory in the cave Cowtown interp lead killed the romans. Re: Crash My Bicycle Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." hi Turn up your hearing aids. Re: Turn up your hearing aids. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death Re: sleeping in the flowers? (none) how do you solve a problem like (insert name here)? (none) Re: allegory in the cave Re: sleeping in the flowers? life, the universe, everything, and tmbg Re: hi Re: The Particle Man Theology Re: Particle Theology Re: Another Message from Dilemna Central... Flans Fat? interps... and an order of fries! Linnell vs. Flans Maimone v. Maby Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 06:55:47 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: hairs that fall from the barrel of death VOTE! Outside of the universe, there are more universes. Easy enough. There are an infinite number of interpretations for Particle Man, most of them just as correct as any other. I personally think it's a play on how Medium is so popular in the world of clothing, but I won't get into that. Could someone please tell me what some of the videos are? I'm considering shelling out $25 to get the TMBG Misc T looking video. Worth it? ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| !noixepa.ge/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 08:08:30 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (sunny) Subject: sleeping in the flowers? does anyone here have any interpretations of sleeping in the flowers? my friend asked me about that song specifically and i couldn't think of anything and i knew that someone on this list has to have some ideas. thanks!! jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up.' -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 09:48:16 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Dr. Kildare Ben or Not Been, the question-- Has anyone recognized the "unknown" music of Mono Puff's "Dr. Kildare"? I cannot identify it, although it sounds as if it would serve as a great theme for a country western shootout show. "Dr. Kildare" by Flanny Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theater. I'm Doctor Kildare. [For those who've never heard it, yes, those are all the lyrics. Friends and enemies who have listened to the song have giggled for minutes over how it is sung. Most of the people are affiliated with the theater.] *** Ben's Dial-A-Song now features a crusty song by The Presidents of the United States of America (614) 823-2583 The digits that are fun like Gidget. Love, Labour, Lost, Ben or Been Not an E-Prime Name ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 10:10:35 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 Andy Friedman said: > Do you think John Linnell could beat up John Flansburgh? ;) Absolutely not. All other factors aside, Flans weighs a good 1.5 times what Linnell does. If it came to blows (which it wouldn't 'cause the Johns are best of friends) Flans could snap Linnell like a twig. Although, now that I think about it, playing accordion must really develop your arms and pecs. >8-D -Sean K., who really doesn't want to ever see the Johns fight ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 09:00:05 MST Subject: RE: alice in "Why Must I Be Sad" The "Alice" in the song "Why Must I Be Sad" is Alice Cooper, the glam-rock idol of the 70's. If you listen to the jumbled mass of lines at the end of the song--they're all lines from different Alice Cooper songs pasted together. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:08:10 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Sean Geoffrey Kinlin wrote: > Absolutely not. All other factors aside, Flans weighs a good 1.5 > times what Linnell does. If it came to blows (which it wouldn't 'cause > the Johns are best of friends) Flans could snap Linnell like a twig. > Although, now that I think about it, playing accordion must > really develop your arms and pecs. I think you're wrong. If you know anything about fighting, you know that just because someone is bigger or heavier, it does not mean they will automatically win. Second, you are right about the strength thing. Have you ever seen Linnell's arms? They look pretty muscular to me. Second, Flans is out of shape, which Linnell is not. You think he's a twig, but that makes him agile, quick, and nimble, while Flans is slow and not even strong, just overweight. Now go ahead, dispute that argument. :) - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:32:04 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: sleeping in the flowers? At 08:08 AM 2/9/96 EST, sunny wrote: >does anyone here have any interpretations of sleeping in the flowers? my >friend asked me about that song specifically and i couldn't think of >anything and i knew that someone on this list has to have some ideas. thanks!! well, I saw an interp. once that made the assertion that "sleeping" was about a guy who was stalking someone, but I really can't remember the whole thing. maybe i'll look through my list archives for it... or it could be on johnathan chaffer's interpretation page at tmbg.org.... anyone alse remember this? paul ------------------------------ From: c619888@showme.missouri.edu Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 12:21:13 -0600 (CST) Subject: Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." > > who knows who alice really is in the song, "why must i be sad"? and i'm > not talking about the 'back to skull' girl for the slew of you are are > still obsessed with the naming process. > > anyone know? > > anyone? buehler? ferris, ferris buehler? I thought it was fairly well accepted that the alice in "why must i be said" was Alice Cooper. ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:59:06 -0500 Subject: in his tummy! In a message dated 96-02-08 03:43:25 EST, you write: >My friend posed a very interesting question to me. If Universe man is the >size of the entire universe, where is he? Certainly not in the universe >because, hey, that's where WE exist (Our plantes, solar systems, blah). >He can't be anywhere else because outside of the universe is nothing, but >if he's inside then, we aren't. (Do you understand what I mean?) Well, he could BE the universe, that way, he really IS the size of the entire universe, and we all are just INSIDE of him....in his tummy or (Zombie playing in background) in his head...nevermind, too much time on my hands...and the eon hand wouldn't really be moving slow to HIM because he's based on a different time system. Ok, bye, THE Erika ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:59:04 -0500 Subject: allegory in the cave Ya know, in religion today(yes, I go to a private, Catholic school), we had to watch this video(animated. And it was narrated by ORSON WELLES, ok, just thought I'd add that) and it was by Socrates(I believe) and my friend Michelle and I just looked at each other and burst into song.(I apologize, I'd cite the title, but I'm too lazy to get off my butt and find it, it's on John Henry) That is what the song is about? Am I mistaken? Ok, bye, THE Erika ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:06:02 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Cowtown interp The interpretation of cowtown on the tmbg.org page is, in my opinion, stupid. It's funny but it seems very superficial and they really make a stretch to have coherency between the different lines. When i listen to the song the line that says "The ardor of arboreality is an adventure we have spurned" it makes me think of evolution. "Ardor dosen't mean "burning heat" rather it means a love of or fondness for something. That says to me that we, as monkeys, lost our love for the trees and evolved into land based life. I'm having trouble interpreting the rest of the lines, but all those references to bones and stones makes me think of fossils, which are the reason we discovered evoltion in the first place. So, what do you guys think? Have any ideas on the meanings of the other lines. I didn't mean to put down the other interp. but i just like to think that Their songs might be just a little more intelligent than some of those goofy interps. would have us believe. Wubba (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:20:44 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: lead killed the romans. > thought I'd add that) and it was by Socrates(I believe) and my friend > Michelle and I just looked at each other and burst into song.(I apologize, > I'd cite the title, but I'm too lazy to get off my butt and find it, it's on > John Henry) That is what the song is about? Am I mistaken? plato wrote the allegory of the cave. a good story if you aren't being forced to read it.... ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ go go gadget sig! aimee "grace" pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:34:50 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Re: Crash My Bicycle ................................................................................ In response to the South Carolina question, I read in the TMBG early FAQ that John Linnell really had a bicicle accident on the east coast somewhere, maybe it was South Carolina. Anyway, that's why dial-a-song started. Linnlell couldn't play his accordian because his hand was tweaked from the accident. So I think the song is a true story from John's past. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 13:07:52 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: "the time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things." The song is all about a kid who thinks that Alice Cooper's songs express perfectly everything he feels. Or something like that. On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > > who knows who alice really is in the song, "why must i be sad"? and i'm > > I thought it was Alice Cooper--isn't that true? I forget the whole story > behind it, but I'm pretty sure... > Fran aka Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:35:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: hi This one goes in the bozo file: >From: User696777@aol.com >Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:15:09 -0500 >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: hi > >Ummm come out with a new album +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:04:56 -0500 Subject: Turn up your hearing aids. Can anyone tell what the guy is saying in the begining of Hearing Aid (besides the, "your mercy" part). der, Beezus ------------------------------ From: Moogleboy@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:56:29 -0500 Subject: Re: Turn up your hearing aids. In a message dated 96-02-09 17:17:01 EST, Beezus5085@aol.com writes: >Can anyone tell what the guy is saying in the begining of Hearing Aid >(besides the, "your mercy" part). >der, Well, I never could figure out what it said, but I thought maybe it was another backwords message. I recorded it and played it backwards. It turned out to be a palindrome. It sounds the same forwards as backwards. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:16:33 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-40 >-Sean K., who really doesn't want to ever see the Johns fight but how about Maimone and the new guy, eh? what's his name... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:18:30 -0500 Subject: Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death In a message dated 96-02-09 07:02:19 EST, you write: >There are an infinite number of interpretations for Particle Man, most of >them just as correct as any other. I personally think it's a play on how >Medium is so popular in the world of clothing, but I won't get into that. > >Could someone please tell me what some of the videos are? I'm considering >shelling out $25 to get the TMBG Misc T looking video. Worth it? I would like to hear the Medium theory and I think you can get that shirt for $16+shipping from the info club (but then I don't know ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:24:09 -0500 Subject: Re: sleeping in the flowers? >does anyone here have any interpretations of sleeping in the flowers? my >friend asked me about that song specifically and i couldn't think of >anything and i knew that someone on this list has to have some ideas. >thanks!! regardless of whether this is an interpretation or not that part about the coffee shop clerk always comes into my head around a certain girl... don't want to be known as the freak who just comes around to catch her eye... and the ride home with the drunk guy sounds like he got in an accident and broke his neck, I'd be ungrateful too... I haven't a clue about the chorus.......... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:27:26 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" > Do you think John Linnell could beat up John Flansburgh? ;) please don't go there. > > > > life, the universe, and everything? you mean like the answer to the > > question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" you mean like 42? wouldn't that be "What do you get when you multiply six by SEVEN?" or "How many roads must a man walk down?" > > paul, who enjoys reading strange books by douglas adams > > > > > Strange? You call the Guide strange? Unkempt, perhaps...... but they > always know where their towels are. :) "Listen, three eyes," he said, "don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal." :D ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:47:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: how do you solve a problem like (insert name here)? ok people, this is an absurd situation. i realized 10 seconds after i sent that post about alice that i *knew* it was alice cooper, i was just having a temporary loss of intelligence. so although i appreciate the many mailings from all of you great listers out there, (i am in no way, shape, or form sarcastic here, i thank you) i do get the point now, it was alice cooper. thank you, and goodnight. oh wait, i think i shall update you all on the status of the chair of beauty and wonder....sophie-copy-shop-clerk and i finished it over christmas break and we are waiting for the pictures to come out so we can send them to the newsletter. who knows, they might find humor in our pitiful attempt to honor them with a chair. maybe not. aims. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ go go gadget sig! aimee "grace" pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:59:15 -0500 Staib wrote, >I think you're wrong. If you know anything about fighting, you know that >just because someone is bigger or heavier, it does not mean they will >automatically win. Second, you are right about the strength thing. Have you >ever seen Linnell's arms? They look pretty muscular to me. Second, Flans is out >of shape, which Linnell is not. You think he's a twig, but that makes him >agile, quick, and nimble, while Flans is slow and not even strong, just >overweight. Now go ahead, dispute that argument. :) >- Ryan Staib Flans is not fat! He's just big. Imagine him if he were skinny. Scary picture, huh. It's just his body structure. Not a flame, Beezus ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 19:00:39 -0500 Subject: Re: allegory in the cave On Fri.9, Feb. 1996, M3MEEBKM wrote, >Ya know, in religion today(yes, I go to a private, Catholic school), we had >to watch this video(animated. And it was narrated by ORSON WELLES, ok, just >thought I'd add that) and it was by Socrates(I believe) and my friend >Michelle and I just looked at each other and burst into song.(I apologize, >I'd cite the title, but I'm too lazy to get off my butt and find it, it's on >John Henry) That is what the song is about? Am I mistaken? The Allegory of the Cave was written by Plato ( or at least Plato was writing down what Socrates was saying 'cause it's called Plato's Alg. of the cave). What it was about was that there were some men down in a cave facing away from the opening and towards the blank wall. They were chained to a wall facing that wall and had been that way since birth. There was a fire behind the wall and people on top of the wall carrying statues and such across the wall. Therefore all the men knew about those objects was their shadows and that's all they thought existed. Then one day one of the men is freed and they have to drag him up because he's afraid and it hurts him because of the light and his muscles being out of use. Then he sees everything and relizes that he was wrong about the shadows. Then he misses his friends so he decides to go back and help them out. The way they measure intelligence is how well a person can see the shadows and since his eyes aren't adjusted any more, he can't see very well in the cave so they mock him and tell him he's crazy. That's basicly it, although there's more detail and I think it was in Plato's book The Republic. It was about people going from ignorence (sp.) to knowlege and I think It also had something to do with Justice. I had to read it for this little debate group our county's schools had. We discussed it and I tried to recall most of it from memory ( I lost the sheet with the story ). Anyway the TMBG connection is that all the people knew about what John (or the character in the song) was doing was what they saw in the shadow on his window shade. Their ignorence drove them to call the police and testify when they didn't know what really happened. And THAT is why they are like the people chained-up in the cave in The Allegory of the People in the Cave by:The Greek Guy (Plato). That part is just talking about how he got in jail and the allegory has nothing to do with the rest of the song. You can imagine my joy when I read the title and realized what that part of the song was about. Sorry it took so long, but you asked, Beezus ( When does this guy shut-up! ) ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 19:25:13 -0500 Subject: Re: sleeping in the flowers? I wonder if one of the Johns actually fell in love with a girl in a copy shop (it's not coffee shop Ruprecht :-) ). Because in Snowball in Hell they say " my fantasy is in a Zerox shop ( yeah I know it's Xerox, but I refuse) Any ideas, Beezus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 22:34:26 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: life, the universe, everything, and tmbg > I'm thinking, that in a strange way, we and everything else may in fact > be a part of Universe Man. Universe Man is a sort of metaphor for life, > the universe, and everything. Any ideas? > Matt Yes, I have and idea. The answer, is, of course: Forty-Two This, of course, is also the number of seconds it takes to play "minumum wage" Is there a TMBG-Douglas Adams link? Coincidence? You decide. -Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. SOn of gOD (paul) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 22:57:02 -0500 Subject: Re: hi From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Feb 09, 1996 16:35:31, 'jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer)' wrote: >This one goes in the bozo file: > >>From: User696777@aol.com >>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:15:09 -0500 >>To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >>Subject: hi >> >>Ummm come out with a new album Man I tell ya what that's an original message. And where did he come up with that user name HOW COOL! -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 22:09:06 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: At 06:27 PM 2/9/96 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: >> > life, the universe, and everything? you mean like the answer to the >> > question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" you mean like 42? >wouldn't that be "What do you get when you multiply six by SEVEN?" >or >"How many roads must a man walk down?" um, no, i meant "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" paul, whose space bar seems to be wearing out... ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 00:58:41 -0500 Subject: The Particle Man Theology Here it is!!!!! I hope it gets on the list, my list is looking weird. BTW, please feel free to comment to me RE: this. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here it is. This is UNOFFICIAL, and not offered as the difinitive interpretation of the song. THE PARTICLE MAN THEOLOGY Particle Man, Particle Man, *Man, created from the dust of the earth (Genesis 1) Doing the things a particle can, *Man, sinful by nature, pursues his own desires (Isaiah 53:6) What's He like, it's not important *"What is man, that Thou art mindful of him?" (Psalms 8:4) Particle Man Is he a dot, or is he a speck *Utter insignifigance of man in comparison to God When he's underwater does he get wet? *Man's punishment for sin, precursored by the flood (Genesis 7:21-23a) Or does the water get him instead? *God delivers Noah by the Ark (Genesis 7:23b) Nobody knows, Particle Man. *Christ comments on the judgement of God, and refers to Noah. "No man knows the day or the hour... for as it was in the days of Noah..." (Matthew 24:36) Triangle Man, Triangle Man *The Godhead, (Trinity) Father, Son, Holy Ghost Triangle Man hates Particle Man *God hates sin. God, being Holy, is separated from his creation by sin, and therefore hates it. (Psalm 66:18) They have a fight, Triangle wins *God's justice is total and righteous. (Isaiah 3:14) Triangle Man. Universe Man, Universe Man *Jesus, for whom and by whom everything was created, in whome all things "hold together" (John 1:1-5) Size of the entire universe man *Ibid Usually kind to smaller man *Christ, redeemer and Savior, compassionate to sinners (Matthew 11:29) Universe Man He's got a watch with a minute hand *Christ took on the form of flesh, and became God "locked" in our time.... minute by minute. A millineum hand *Christ pictured as the Prince of Peace, who will rule for 1,000 years (1 millineum) of peace (Revelation 20:1-6) And an eon hand *7 ages of the church established by Christ (Revelation 1 through 3) And when they meet it's a happy land *The rapture of the church (I Thessalonians 4:13-5:11) Powerful man, Universe Man *ref: King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. Lion of Judah. Person Man, Person Man *Antithesis of Christ, this would be Lucifer (Satan) Hit on the head with a frying pan *"He shall crush your head, and you shall bruise his heel" (Genesis 3:15) This curse, given by God to the serpent in the Garden of Eden, is the first time that the promise of a messiah is given. The frying pan, being both lethal and hot, might suggest hell. Who came up with Person Man? *The question of Satan's creation, as an angel originally, but now fallen after attempting rebellion in heaven (Isaiah 14:12-20) Lives his life in a garbage can *The empitome of evil. Filth, trash, decay, foulness, and his consequences for destroying so many (Isaiah 14:19). Person Man Is he depressed, or is he a mess? Does he totally worthless? *The fallen condition of man, and the depravity of Satan combined. (Romans Chapter 1) Who came up with Person Man? *The only time in the song that a character is twice questioned. Degraded Man, Person Man *Assent to the fallenness of Satan. Triangle Man, Triangle Man *God Triangle man hates Person Man *Diammetrical opposition of holiness and evil They have a fight, Triangle wins *The power of righteousness will overcome the power of evil(Romans 8:37) Triangle Man *God ends as ultimate victor. The song, then, begins with God's creation and ends with the resolution of his own plan. ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 01:00:56 -0500 Subject: Re: Particle Theology Here you go. My list is screwed up, so I hope it's not ticking off the others. Feel free to let me know what you think. Here it is. This is UNOFFICIAL, and not offered as the difinitive interpretation of the song. THE PARTICLE MAN THEOLOGY Particle Man, Particle Man, *Man, created from the dust of the earth (Genesis 1) Doing the things a particle can, *Man, sinful by nature, pursues his own desires (Isaiah 53:6) What's He like, it's not important *"What is man, that Thou art mindful of him?" (Psalms 8:4) Particle Man Is he a dot, or is he a speck *Utter insignifigance of man in comparison to God When he's underwater does he get wet? *Man's punishment for sin, precursored by the flood (Genesis 7:21-23a) Or does the water get him instead? *God delivers Noah by the Ark (Genesis 7:23b) Nobody knows, Particle Man. *Christ comments on the judgement of God, and refers to Noah. "No man knows the day or the hour... for as it was in the days of Noah..." (Matthew 24:36) Triangle Man, Triangle Man *The Godhead, (Trinity) Father, Son, Holy Ghost Triangle Man hates Particle Man *God hates sin. God, being Holy, is separated from his creation by sin, and therefore hates it. (Psalm 66:18) They have a fight, Triangle wins *God's justice is total and righteous. (Isaiah 3:14) Triangle Man. Universe Man, Universe Man *Jesus, for whom and by whom everything was created, in whome all things "hold together" (John 1:1-5) Size of the entire universe man *Ibid Usually kind to smaller man *Christ, redeemer and Savior, compassionate to sinners (Matthew 11:29) Universe Man He's got a watch with a minute hand *Christ took on the form of flesh, and became God "locked" in our time.... minute by minute. A millineum hand *Christ pictured as the Prince of Peace, who will rule for 1,000 years (1 millineum) of peace (Revelation 20:1-6) And an eon hand *7 ages of the church established by Christ (Revelation 1 through 3) And when they meet it's a happy land *The rapture of the church (I Thessalonians 4:13-5:11) Powerful man, Universe Man *ref: King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. Lion of Judah. Person Man, Person Man *Antithesis of Christ, this would be Lucifer (Satan) Hit on the head with a frying pan *"He shall crush your head, and you shall bruise his heel" (Genesis 3:15) This curse, given by God to the serpent in the Garden of Eden, is the first time that the promise of a messiah is given. The frying pan, being both lethal and hot, might suggest hell. Who came up with Person Man? *The question of Satan's creation, as an angel originally, but now fallen after attempting rebellion in heaven (Isaiah 14:12-20) Lives his life in a garbage can *The empitome of evil. Filth, trash, decay, foulness, and his consequences for destroying so many (Isaiah 14:19). Person Man Is he depressed, or is he a mess? Does he totally worthless? *The fallen condition of man, and the depravity of Satan combined. (Romans Chapter 1) Who came up with Person Man? *The only time in the song that a character is twice questioned. Degraded Man, Person Man *Assent to the fallenness of Satan. Triangle Man, Triangle Man *God Triangle man hates Person Man *Diammetrical opposition of holiness and evil They have a fight, Triangle wins *The power of righteousness will overcome the power of evil(Romans 8:37) Triangle Man *God ends as ultimate victor. The song, then, begins with God's creation and ends with the resolution of his own plan. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 01:47:55 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Another Message from Dilemna Central... On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Aloysius Snuffleupagus wrote: > Ugh, decisions, decisions. This has nothing to do with Them, but I > thought this would be a good place to get some input. Frank Black is > playing in Houston on Saturday, Feb. 24th, and I'm supposed to be in > Houston that day anyway, for a dentist appointment, so I want to go. The > only thing is, that same weekend is the Texas Film festival, and John > Landis, director of such poetic flicks as Blues Brothers and Animal > House, is going to be speaking, followed by a screening of Blues > Brothers. Ugh. What would you do? > > -Jenny, who positive that everyone is trying to kill her. > Actually, I'm going to go see Ska King Crab on the 24th, and I would encourage everyone around New haven to do the same. -Slacker Ng. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 01:49:40 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Flans Fat? > Flans is not fat! He's just big. Imagine him if he were skinny. Scary > picture, huh. It's just his body structure. > Not a flame, > Beezus > > > Anyone remember the Puppet Head video? Flans WAS skinny!! (Also, someone else out there wrote asking whether the Video Compilation was a worthy purchase. Considering what they are [commercials designed to get you to buy their albums, which I assume you already have] and considering that, for the most part, they just aren't all that great as films [well, I do kinda like Ana Ng], then probably the answer is no, they're not worth $25. Hey, E-mail me if you want, I'll make a copy if you send a blank tape.) End of statement. -Slacker ng P.S. Flans and Linnell fighting is a most unpleasant thought for me. I wish we'd let this subject die. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 02:24:11 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: interps... I'd like to add my thoughts to some interps. First off, Sleeping in the Flowers - It's about a guy who's in love with a copy shop clerk; that part's obvious. I'll leave the first verse alone as to not insult your intelligence. The chorus is how the singer pictures the relationship progressing. We could be sleeping in the flowers This is a somewhat peaceful idea, rolling all those love images into one. Flowers, sleeping together. The singer would like to love this clerk. ...we could sleep all afternoon. You declare that you're an island In his head, she doesn't want anything to do with him. She says that she's an island, an unreachable thing. I declare that I'm one too He's saying something similar to "Hey, I can be moody, too!" in order to sway her. notice the repition of the word "declare;" he's doing the same thing she is. Then we float into the harbor, with just peers and boats around Floating is a common dream senerio; this fortifies the idea that this is all in his head as well as paralleling the "sleeping" image. The use of water reflects on the island idea. The lack of other people shows just how lonely these two islands are. I declare that I am England "Declare" again.... The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much that his island becomes England. England is a big island... You declare that I have drowned ...and that's not the island that the clerk called herself. She dumps him because he, apparently, was fake in his statment of being alone. The last verse I'm not so certain about. I think the singer goes off to a bar and laments to the bartender. The singer gets drunk and is ungreatful for the advice given. Or maybe he hoped into the NyQuil Driver's car, got into an accident on an Interstate 91 overpass, and took a dirt bike home... all the while questioning himself as to why must he be sad? Why couldn't he have the extra savoir-faire that the bartender had? He wishes that he'd gotten to know the clerk before he fell in love. MAYBE THE WHOLE ALBUM IS A STORY ABOUT THIS GUY BEING IN LOVE WITH THE CLERK, AND S.I.T.F. IS ONLY PART 1!!!! It might be like a Quentin Tarintino film and not go in order! hmmm.... I forget what my other interp that I wanted to talk about was. Must not have been important. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 02:27:25 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: and an order of fries! the plural votes for the experiment: 7 - She's an Angel Cowtown 3 - Dead Birdhouse Turn Around They'll Need a Crane 2 - Welcome 2 the Jungle AKA Driver End of the Tour Staute got me high You'll Miss me new additions to the stew - Purple Toupee N.O.K.M.P The Guitar and an order of fries.... voting ends 2/12! lebo ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Linnell vs. Flans Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 02:26:01 -0500 (EST) > > On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Sean Geoffrey Kinlin wrote: > > > Absolutely not. All other factors aside, Flans weighs a good 1.5 > > times what Linnell does. If it came to blows (which it wouldn't 'cause > > the Johns are best of friends) Flans could snap Linnell like a twig. > > Although, now that I think about it, playing accordion must > > really develop your arms and pecs. > > I think you're wrong. If you know anything about fighting, you know that > just because someone is bigger or heavier, it does not mean they will > automatically win. Second, you are right about the strength thing. Have you > ever seen Linnell's arms? They look pretty muscular to me. Second, Flans is out > of shape, which Linnell is not. You think he's a twig, but that makes him > agile, quick, and nimble, while Flans is slow and not even strong, just > overweight. Now go ahead, dispute that argument. :) I'm glad Linnell and Flans aren't on this mailing list! ;) They'd come and beat yuou up. Matt P.S. Does anyone know how or why Mr. Brown died in Reservoir Dogs? -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Maimone v. Maby Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 02:30:42 -0500 (EST) > > >-Sean K., who really doesn't want to ever see the Johns fight > > but how about Maimone and the new guy, eh? what's his name... That new guy would be Graham Maby and he'd whip his hair right at Tony and kick his butt! Course his bass playing is excellent too! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-41 *****************************