Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-42 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 42 Sunday, 11 February 1996 Today's Topics: Giants for the socially stunted Re: interps... Re: Flans Fat? Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? Sleeping.....in the flowers! Entertainment Weekly. Re: Linnell vs. Flans TMBG Chords/Lyrics/Interp Archive The cave theory CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN I need some help here chess piece face, insult or compliment? Re: Sleeping.....in the flowers! Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death tape for the unfortunates... Re: The Particle Man Theology Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 03:22:39 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Giants for the socially stunted I was hanging out with my friends at the karaoke bar this evening (don't laugh) and as I was perusing the list I noticed that one of the songs available was Istanbul. Nobody did it, but I have to admit I was tempted. It would have seemed almost sacreligious in a way, tho... -Jenna D., who often finds herself flabbergasted by where technology is going... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 10:43:59 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: interps... On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > I declare that I am England > "Declare" again.... > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... ^^^^^^^ 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. Pedantry, pedantry. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 10:46:03 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Flans Fat? On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Cuper Vargas wrote: > Anyone remember the Puppet Head video? Flans WAS skinny!! (Also, > someone else out there wrote asking whether the Video Compilation was a > worthy purchase. Considering what they are [commercials designed to get > you to buy their albums, which I assume you already have] and considering > that, for the most part, they just aren't all that great as films [well, > I do kinda like Ana Ng], then probably the answer is no, they're not > worth $25. I like them. And I'm glad I purchased the video, but they are kinda samey. Try watching them just one at a time and it works better. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 11:19:35 -0500 From: sljethro@eos.ncsu.edu (Susan Jethro) Subject: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? Hi guys, just a quick question....last night while i was supposed to studying for my chem. exam i was on a chat line. on the chat service i use "hot cha" as my login and name. every once in awhile i happily get a message from a fellow tmbg fan who recognizes my name and we talk about our favorites lyrics....but last night someone asked me if my name came from the show happy days, after asking him "what the hell hot cha had to do with happy days??" he responded by saying, "isn't that what chachi (sp??) used to say all the time??".....well, i had never heard of this but then again i never watched happy days religiously....so just wondering if this guy was totally wrong or i'm just really dumb....anybody know??? btw, i went to my first ska concert a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed, just wanted to plug the band "Regatta 69" ...at the concert they recorded their live cd (in durham, nc) so iwould recommend it if anyone sees it in the stores unrelatd to anything, susan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 12:52:24 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (Andy Friedman) Subject: Sleeping.....in the flowers! Yeah, but Brian Doherty is the master and he would beat the living shit out of all the rest of the giants. ;) As for an interp for Sleeping in the Flowers, this is what I came up with and didn't ever get to the unofficial page: Although I was fooled at first by the upbeat nature of this song, (man, I sound like a music teacher!) I think I understand it now. This guy loves this copy shop clerk, but, when he asks her on a date, she says something along the lines of "Maybe when I'm dead!". Sleeping in the flowers is often used to describe being killed. So, maybe, he's dreaming about being dead with her, buried in a garden or something. Anyway, after he asks her out and gets rejected, the guy gets a ride home with, of course, a drunk guy. It's possible that he got the drunk guy to get into a car accident with her and kill the drunk guy, the girl and him. Someone needs to tell the boss he isn't going to be at work anymore (tell the boss I've been fired). When they crash and all die, they are really sleeping in the flowers and he is pondering the burial during the last verse. (We'll be sleeping in the flowers.) There. In Hearing Aid, I think it's just Your Mercy played backwards and then forwards. Any takers? Anybody have bootlegs? VOTE! (see sig) ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 13:13:19 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Entertainment Weekly. You know whats funny? I never read Entertainment Weekly, so I don't know if it's a regular collumn or anything. But, I was looking through a very old issue (from October of '94), and I saw a thing. It was one of those spotlight things on Leonardo Dicaprio , and the title of it was, "He Might Be 'Giant'". I got a kick out of it. :) +--- Edicius (Tom Sullivan) - Head Editor, Jonas E'zine http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/1063/ - unofficial whtg-fm homepage! "I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea, if by random whim one occurs to me." +--- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 14:33:46 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Linnell vs. Flans On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > P.S. Does anyone know how or why Mr. Brown died in Reservoir Dogs? Here, directly from the Reservoir Dogs FAQ are the fates of all of the members of the 'posse'. Joe Cabot killed by Mr White in triangular shooting. Nice Guy Eddie killed by Mr White in triangular shooting. Mr White shot by Nice Guy Eddie in triangular shooting, killed afterwards by the cops having killed Mr Orange. Mr Blonde killed by Mr Orange. Mr Orange shot by woman whose car he and Mr White are trying to commandeer, shot by Joe in triangular shooting and finally killed by Mr White. Mr Brown shot in the head by the cops, dies after he crashes the getaway car. Mr Blue Joe says he was killed by the cops at the jewellery store. Mr Pink there is a debate about the fate of Mr Pink. Having left the warehouse with the diamonds, he is surrounded by the cops. The soundtrack is faint, but what can be made out tells us he has been arrested. There is evidence to support this posted regularly to the newsgroup, and on some of the web sites. Hope this answers your questions. ______________________________________________________________________________ Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 15:36:19 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG Chords/Lyrics/Interp Archive The Web Site now has the TMBG Chords Archive online. I have also split the lyrics and interps apart into separate archives. I think this will make browsing the web site easier. Take a peek and tell me what you think! --Jon +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 14:52:38 -0600 (CST) Subject: The cave theory The earlier discussed song of "No One Knows My Plan" I believe is definetly related to Socrates. It actually refers to Plato and his work The Republic. Plato discusses the search for true knowledge, through the character of Socrates, by using the analogy, or allegory, to a cave. There are a bunch of "people chained up in the cave" who represent normal people. The only way one can achieve true knowledge, according to Plato, is to escape the cave and to go see the sun, which represents the true knowledge of light. Plato believesd that only true philosophers can achieve this. The correlation of the song to Plato is to large to be discounted as coincidence. If you disagree I would like to hear why. We're the "nicest of the damned" Mike P. ------------------------------ From: Naidee@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:45:01 -0500 Subject: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN okay on the person man, universe man, triangle man, thing what about the three being part of person mans subconscious? that whole freudian id ego and super ego. a friend was trying to explain but it still doesnt make much sense to me when tmbg were on the house of blues I taped it but my vcr got hungry now I'm sad naidee ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:55:16 -0500 Subject: I need some help here all you loyal tmbg fans (me too) well im new to the list, and i was wondering if someone could give me some info on where to find videos. i look in the record stores in the mall, but i didn't find any. is there a mail order thing or what's the deal? (dont hate me im young and unknowing) -KAA ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:59:57 -0500 Subject: chess piece face, insult or compliment? hey people chess piece face, compliment or insult? im wondering what your take is on this touchy subject. mail your answers to me, and ill tally. my official thinkings later have pitty im young kaa ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:50:38 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: Sleeping.....in the flowers! The song seems to be a commentary on having a rich fantasy-life as a means of escape from a really shabby real-life existence. I don't think the John-incarnate ever does ask out the copy shop clerk; he's the outsider who can only come in and stare, lacking the confidence to actually do anything. So...he reverts to fantasy... the thought of "sleeping in the flowers" is an idyllic one, where rest coexists with beauty and imagination takes away mortal shortcomings. Here, anything is possible; the change to a more upbeat tempo during the chorus underscores this (sorry, I'd describe the musical aspect in greater detail, but me musically illiterate) Returning to real-life, the hero once again must face life's unpleasentries, this time in the form of a drunk driver. "John's" willingness to get a ride home with him is a semi-suicidal act, again showing his dissatisfiction with living. Also, the "drunk guy" represents an alternative to fantasy as a means of escape--liquor (and, by extension, drugs) is the other option, one which the "John" deems unacceptable through his ungratefulness. So...he again turns to fantasy, where he can get rid of his capitalist opressor and relax... There you have it...another TMBG existential dilemma song... Sorry if it sounds incoherent, but I'm late for work... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 18:22:15 -0500 Subject: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? >btw, i went to my first ska concert a couple of weeks ago and was really >impressed, just wanted to plug the band "Regatta 69" ...at the concert they >recorded their live cd (in durham, nc) so iwould recommend it if anyone sees >it in the stores I am the only one in the world who thinks that Ska was stolen from the police? think about that for awhile ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 18:21:50 -0500 Subject: Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death In a message dated 96-02-10 01:05:32 EST, you write: << Here it is. This is UNOFFICIAL, and not offered as the difinitive interpretation of the song. THE PARTICLE MAN THEOLOGY >> Nifty as this all may be, the Johns themselves have said that is not what they wrote it about... but if that's what you think it means go ahead ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 19:08:31 -0500 Subject: tape for the unfortunates... Here's a little question: I am gonna make a tape of some Gaints stuff to get the losers at my school hooked on it... the question is what do I put on the tape? I need suggestions, not of what you like the best now but what you liked best upon first listening to They... BTW, I only have the 6 albums and Back to Skull so the songs have to be from there... send any responses directly to this adress: ruprecht@m-net.arbornet.org (using seperate addresses is the only way I can keep track) me who should really stop giving a damn what the people at my school like ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 22:01:43 -0500 Subject: Re: The Particle Man Theology Thank you. But like I said, it is entirely UNOFFICIAL. It's one of many, but it's an interesting slant that you don't hear very often. Again, thanks for the compliment. Tim in CA The Academy BBS Home of the TMBG HELLO CLUB (209)549-2113 "Just the price of a local call to Modesto..." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 22:30:46 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? On Sat, 10 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > I am the only one in the world who thinks that Ska was stolen from the > police? think about that for awhile > The fact that there was, in fact, SKA in the 50's is quite a counterexample to your thesis. Around the same time that The Police were becoming popular, a group known as the Special AKA was also on the rise. They were the true revivers of Ska (And they started 2nd wave)... 3rd wave has chords that sound alot like many found in Police songs, but there was Ska in the fifties. Interesting concept, though. *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-42 *****************************