Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-43 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 43 Monday, 12 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? greetings all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linnell vs. Flans Dallas's All-Time TMBG Mega-Mix Recruiting Album Re: Re: Dallas's All-Time TMBG Mega-Mix Recruiting Album Hello. Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 12:15:12 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Rian Rutherford wrote: > On Sat, 10 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > > I am the only one in the world who thinks that Ska was stolen from the > > police? think about that for awhile > > > The fact that there was, in fact, SKA in the 50's is quite a > counterexample to your thesis. Around the same time that The Police were > becoming popular, a group known as the Special AKA was also on the rise. > They were the true revivers of Ska (And they started 2nd wave)... 3rd > wave has chords that sound alot like many found in Police songs, but > there was Ska in the fifties. Interesting concept, though. And don't forget Madness. They were heavily Ska-influenced and very successful in Britain for several years. They even managed a comeback quite recently, and lead-singer Suggs now has a solo career going. I'm not sure how popular they were in the US, but I belive they won a Grammy for songwriting, so they must be moderately well known. Mark ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 08:07:36 -0500 Subject: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? >The fact that there was, in fact, SKA in the 50's is quite a >counterexample to your thesis. Around the same time that The Police were >becoming popular, a group known as the Special AKA was also on the rise. >They were the true revivers of Ska (And they started 2nd wave)... 3rd >wave has chords that sound alot like many found in Police songs, but >there was Ska in the fifties. Interesting concept, though. what I'm saying is that in 1970 something or other, when the Police first came out their first few singles ('fallout' and 'nothing achieving') were these Punkish/Skaish songs and then they went into white reggae (I know I spelled that wrong) also known as "Regatta De Blanc"... does that sound anything like the name of the album in the original post? the police were sort of working of the punk revolution of the time and then developed their own style... I got most of this from reading the liner notes of message in a box but the "police invented ska theory" is mine... now about this ska in the fifties, I was pretty sure the generally accepted theory on Ska iss that it originated in the Islands as some sort of offshoot of punk... I didn't think punk music had been invented yet... me who should stop telling the fake punks at my school that op ivy and all of those other bands stole white reggae from the police and called it ska ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:49:14 GMT Subject: greetings all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) here's another idea.. you know, just for the heck of it.. anyway, i'm sure there are a couple of us other than myself and mr. klaw that are curious what a few of you people look like, so how 'bout uploading your gifs or jpgs to ftp.clearlight.com/users/dresko/pub/TMBG/ mine is up and Mr. Klaw's should be up in a few hours or so, but i'm sure other's of you have some pictures.. also, if you have any [not so large] tmbg stuff that you would like to share with some of us, you may upload it to the same directory as well.. but please, we have just started up with this provider, so including my cgi, pages, and pictures, i only have 5 megs to play with.. but enjoy anyway.. -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:30:28 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Linnell vs. Flans I don't know who wrote: > Flans is out of shape, which Linnell is not. [...] > Flans is slow and not even strong, just overweight. This seems a bit unfair. Given the way John F. jumps and bounces around throughout concerts and still manages to sing without seeming to be out of breath, I'd say he must be in decent shape, at least cardiovascularly. m@t Have you ever paid your taxes - at a Coke machine? You will... ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 21:08:24 -0500 Subject: Dallas's All-Time TMBG Mega-Mix Recruiting Album Alright, here it is Dallas's All-Time TMBG Mega-Mix Recruiting Album. I created it while putting songs together to hook this girl who goes to my church. Now she loves Them and I finally have someone to sing-along with. It takes somthin' like two 90 minute cassettes. Self-Titled Album (Pink, Blue Dog, Whatever) 3-Number Three (No Don't Let's Start because it sounds better on the Misc T album.) 5-Hide Away Folk Family 9-Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes 11-She's An Angel 14-Absolutely Bill's Mood 16-Hope That I Get Old Before I Die 17-Alienation's For The Rich 18-The Day Lincoln 1-Ana Ng 2-Cowtown 4-Purple Toupee 6-Where Your Eyes Don't Go 8-Mr.Me 11-I've Got A Match 14-They'll Need A Crane 15-Shoehorn With Teeth (my hypercard class loves this one and they ask me to play it alot) 17-Snowball In Hell Miscellaneous T 1-Hey Mr.DJ I Thought You Said We Had I Deal 5-Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon 9-Mr. Klaw 12-For Science 15-The Famous Polka 17-We're The Replacements 18-Don't Let's Start Flood 2-Birdhouse In Your Soul 4-Istanbul (Not Constantinople) 7-Particle Man 9-We Want A Rock 12-Minimum Wage (another hypercard class favorite) 13-Letterbox 16-Women And Men 18-They Might Be Giants Apollo 18 2-I Palindrome I 5-Mammal 6-The Statue Got Me High 7-Spider 8-The Guitar 10-Narrow Your Eyes 12-Which Describes How You're Feeling 13-See The Constellation (It's great for first-time listeners!) 15-Turn Around 17-37-Fingertips 38-Space Suit John Henry ("listener-friendly") 1-Subliminal 2-Snail Shell 3-Sleeping In The Flowers 4-Unrelated Thing 5-AKA Driver 8-Why Must I Be Sad? 10-O, Do Not Forsake Me 11-No One Knows My Plan 13-Destination Moon 15-Meet James Ensor 18-Out Of Jail 20-The End Of The Tour Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas) 1-Why Does The Sun Shine? 2-Jessica 3-Whirlpool Back To Skull 2-Ondine 3-She Was A Hotel Detective ( ' 94 re-mix) 4-Mrs.Train 5-Snail Shell (re-mix) There's plenty of time left to add-on songs that you think would hook people. -Beezus ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:27:35 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: Re: On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Paul Leonard wrote: > At 06:27 PM 2/9/96 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > >> > life, the universe, and everything? you mean like the answer to the > >> > question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" you mean > like 42? > >wouldn't that be "What do you get when you multiply six by SEVEN?" > >or > >"How many roads must a man walk down?" > > um, no, i meant "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" > Well, "How many roads..." and "Six by seven" were the ones that Benji & Frankie came up with...... just a note - I think that they inspired Pinky and The Brain..... :) 'Nette ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 23:41:12 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Dallas's All-Time TMBG Mega-Mix Recruiting Album On Sun, 11 Feb 1996 Beezus5085@aol.com wrote: > > Lincoln > 1-Ana Ng > 2-Cowtown > 4-Purple Toupee > 6-Where Your Eyes Don't Go > 8-Mr.Me > 11-I've Got A Match > 14-They'll Need A Crane > 15-Shoehorn With Teeth (my hypercard class loves this one and they ask me to > play it alot) > 17-Snowball In Hell Don't forget about 'Santa's Beard', a song that may be out of season, but great nonetheless. > Flood > 2-Birdhouse In Your Soul > 4-Istanbul (Not Constantinople) > 7-Particle Man > 9-We Want A Rock > 12-Minimum Wage (another hypercard class favorite) > 13-Letterbox > 16-Women And Men > 18-They Might Be Giants I'd also offer 'Dead', a song that is 'almost normal', to quote a friend. Also, I'd add 'James K Polk' which is a great live song, and should attract anyone with taste. ________________________________________________________________________________ Love ya all, Brendan Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 23:43:51 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Hello. Well, I realze that this will probably be really annoying to some people, but I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself here. I'm an 18 year old freshman math major at St. Joe's Univ in Philly. I first went to see TMBG this December, although I've been a fan sice 8th grade. So... now you all know me. See y'all. ________________________________________________________________________________ Love ya all, Brendan Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-43 *****************************