Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-44 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 44 Tuesday, 13 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? (none) Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death Sleeping in the flowers Lotsa mail TMBG project Re: interps... Nuthin' in particular....... Re: interps... Re: Nuthin' in particular....... (none) Re: interps... JOHNS... TRUE CANADATES... RE:chess piece face, insult or compliment? Re: Nuthin' in particular....... Are WE being taken for granted????? RE:chess piece face, insult or compliment? Re: JOHNS... Re: TMBG project Project voitng ends 2/12! Info Club Re: Nuthin' in particular....... Re: tape for the unfortunates... Re: JOHNS... Re: Are WE being taken for granted????? RE: TMBG video compilation Re: Project voitng ends 2/12! Re: Are WE being taken for granted????? Re: interps... Re: interps... RE: JOHNS... thanks! Re: thanks! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:18:42 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Hot Cha on Happy Days?????? On Sat, 10 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > >btw, i went to my first ska concert a couple of weeks ago and was really > >impressed, just wanted to plug the band "Regatta 69" ...at the concert they > >recorded their live cd (in durham, nc) so iwould recommend it if anyone sees > >it in the stores > > I am the only one in the world who thinks that Ska was stolen from the > police? think about that for awhile > Hate to burst your bubble, but ska started in Jamaice in the late 50's. I'm pretty sure the Maytals predate the Police. -Slacker "Toots" Ng ------------------------------ From: Maria Doyle (Digital Equipment) Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 09:33:38 PST alias v-mdoyle delete ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:51:42 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? > now about this ska in the fifties, I was pretty sure the generally accepted > theory on Ska iss that it originated in the Islands as some sort of offshoot > of punk... I didn't think punk music had been invented yet... > > me who should stop telling the fake punks at my school that op ivy and all of > those other bands stole white reggae from the police and called it ska > We should get soem things straight right here and now. Ska came first, and it was eventually distorted into rocksteady, and THEN, reggae (the result of marijuana and a really hot summer). -The first wave of ska originated in Jamaica in the 50's and 60's (There was no punk at this point). Some brilliant music was made at the time by the likes of Prince Buster and Toots and the Maytals. -The second wave of ska developed in England (where many Jamaican immigrated) in the 70's. Ska, at this point, was being infused with punk influences. The pioneers of this period were the Specials, known for their Two-Tone record label. This label also had such bands as the Selecter, and the aforementioned Madness (who are a text-book example of the word "sell-out"). -Finally, the 90's, or the Third Wave. Although not as popular in terms of the charts as the Two-Tone era, some of the greatest music in the genre is being created by such bands as Lettuce Boy, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Spring Heeled Jack, Johnny Too Bad and the Strikeouts, the Pietasters, Ska King Crab, and many, many others. There is a huge variety in the ska scene today, from the traditional sounds of Skavoovie and the Epitones, to the Ska-Punk and Ska-core of bands like Nigel 6 and Jiker. The survival and progress of the Third Wave are due in no small part to Bucket and the Toasters, who's Moon record label and storefront have provided access for many to bands they might never have heard. They also tour constantly, drawing crowds to see them and the local bands they play with. (This past week alone, I saw them play with Perfect Thyroid, Sgt. Scagnetti, Lettuce Boy, and Mock Turtle Soup). -For anybody who's read this far: Thanks for putting up with my raving. I get easily upset by misinterpretations and outright ignorance. -Ska is not "Punk with Horns"! -Ska is not reggae! -Ska came before reggae! -Rancid is not a ska band! -Skinheads are not racist! (The real skins, not the boneheads) -The Bosstones are good, but there is so much more! I hope this clears things up. -Slacker "the Rudeboy" Ng. P.S. Regatta 69 (the band that started this whole bizarre argument) are pretty fucking brilliant. If you see their album "Fat-Free" anywhere, DO NOT HESITATE to buy it immediately. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:00:33 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Cuper Vargas wrote: > -The second wave of ska developed in England (where many Jamaican > immigrated) in the 70's. Ska, at this point, was being infused with punk > influences. The pioneers of this period were the Specials, known for > their Two-Tone record label. This label also had such bands as the > Selecter, and the aforementioned Madness (who are a text-book example of > the word "sell-out"). They incorporated Ska into a popular format. What's wrong with that? I, for one, like them. Mark ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: hairs that fall from the barrel of death Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 8:38:27 18000 The Pink Album=They Might Be Giants, the self titled, the 1st and Big Blue Dog-ged album! -- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Sleeping in the flowers Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 8:45:02 18000 Just a thought, all those who're talking about SITF..... perhaps death? If one was dead, wouldn't he be Sleeping in the flowers? And, seeing as how the drunk guy showed him how to spin his head round and round, that also points towards an untimely demise.... We could be sleeping in the flowers We could sleep all afternoon You proclaim that you're an island I proclaim that i'm one too Then we float into the harbor With just piers and boats around I declare that I am England You declare that I have drowned... (They drove into the ocean or a lake and died.) -Tom I guess (The non-interpreter) -- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Lotsa mail Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 8:47:57 18000 Sorry about that last interpretation, guys... I had 67 messages in my box this morning, and didn't get up to the exact same interpretation as the one I just wrote until a minute ago :) Sorry... Tom I guess (The AKA Driver) -- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG project Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 8:53:34 18000 Could someone explain the TMBG project to me? I've seen the votes counter multiple times but don't know what's going on! Help! And, I'm looking for the videos APART from the one with Lincoln&Pink Album songs on it, if anyone has some I'm interested, just a phone call to tallahassee... -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 00:47:57 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: interps... On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > I declare that I am England > > "Declare" again.... > > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... > ^^^^^^^ > 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, > to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. > > Pedantry, pedantry. > > Mark > Ah... but isn't saying "England" more poetic, fits nicer into the rhythm, and very AMERICAN way of alluding to a big island? It's sounds better that "I declere that I am the United Kingdom..." doesn't it? lebo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:30:16 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Nuthin' in particular....... Hi all, I'm just curious as to if there is some sort of TMBG catalog, containg T-shirts, and other Misc. things.....if there is, how do I go about obtaining such a precious wealth of information? Thanks for your help. grd ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:04:29 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: interps... On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > I declare that I am England > > > "Declare" again.... > > > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > > > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... > > ^^^^^^^ > > 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, > > to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. > > Ah... but isn't saying "England" more poetic, fits nicer into the rhythm, > and very AMERICAN way of alluding to a big island? It's sounds better > that "I declere that I am the United Kingdom..." doesn't it? Surely Britain would do just as well. "I declare that I am Britain, You declare that I have drowned." Not that I care, particularly. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:33:07 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Nuthin' in particular....... David, The only thing I can think of that has what you are looking for is the TMBG newsletter. As I sit here, the only way I can think of subscribing to it is to put your name on a mailing list at one of their concerts...that's how I did it. I'm sure there are other ways though. The newsletter contains a whole mail order section listing all the available albums and singles (usually on tape, CD and the most wonderful medium - vinyl!!), t-shirts, hats, shot glasses, key chains, postcards...and so on and so forth. The newsletter is also full of fascinating TMBG info, upcomming concert dates, and fan questions answered by John and John. It's truly a must have for any TMBG enthusiast. I'll get you the address you should write to to subscribe. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 12:18:58 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas I recently got wind of a TMBG concvert at the university of Illinois this semester can anyone back this up. How about other sites in the midwest? Thank youy Joe ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:04:42 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: Re: interps... On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > > > I declare that I am England > > > > "Declare" again.... > > > > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > > > > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... > > > ^^^^^^^ > > > 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, > > > to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. > > > > Ah... but isn't saying "England" more poetic, fits nicer into the rhythm, > > and very AMERICAN way of alluding to a big island? It's sounds better > > that "I declere that I am the United Kingdom..." doesn't it? > > Surely Britain would do just as well. "I declare that I am > Britain, You declare that I have drowned." Not that I care, particularly. How about - "I declare I'm Madagascar, you declare that I have drowned"? 'Nette, who likes saying "Madagascar" when there's nothing left to say. ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:22:30 -0400 (EDT) Subject: JOHNS... HI. ALMIGHTY AND GODLIKE BIG... ERR GIANTEST FAN OF THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS HERE! JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICES THAT ALL THE BEST PEOPLE ARE NAMED JOHN. I BELIEVE THEIR'S A CONNECTION HERE, YOU KNOW, THE FACT THAT ALL GODS ARE NAMED JOHN (CEPTIN' OF COURSE FOR BUBSY) AND THAT ALL THE MOST WORTHLESS PEOPLE ARE NAMED CHUCK? OF COURSE, YOU ARE ALL EXCEPTIONS, AS YOU ARE TMBG FANS, AND SO HAVE RISEN ABOVE ALL THOSE OTHER LOOSERS. MAYBE GIANTS FANS SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NAMES TO SISTER/BROTHER JOHN WHATEVERTHEIRNAMEMIGHTBE. THAT WOULD TRULY MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK :> ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:25:15 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TRUE CANADATES... _______________________ !_______________________! ! ! ! JOHN N JOHN IN '96 ! ___!_______________________!____ (________________________________) / / \ \ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! _0/ \0_ ! ! \ \/ \/ / ! / \ ! / / \ \ \( )/ \ " " / \ / /\_______/\ / ! ! \ / __! !__ \ / ! \\_// ! \ / ! \_!-!_/ ! \ ! / ! / !_! \ ! \ ! ______!_!__!__/___\__!__!_!_______ ! ! ! ! ! W H I T E ! ! ! ! H O U S E ! ! ! ! O R ! ! ! ! B U S T ! ! ! ! ! !__________________________________! ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:35:29 -0400 (EDT) Subject: RE:chess piece face, insult or compliment? PERSONALLY, I THINK IT'S JUST A PET NAME FOR ONE OF THE STAGEHANDS. IF NOT HOWEVER, I VOTE FOR COMPLIMENT. AFTER ALL, TO BE CALLED ANYTHING BY A JOHN WOULD BE TRULY SPIRITUAL. BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:42:32 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Nuthin' in particular....... On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > The newsletter contains a whole mail order section listing all the > available albums and singles (usually on tape, CD and the most wonderful > medium - vinyl!!), t-shirts, hats, shot glasses, key chains, > postcards...and so on and so forth. The newsletter is also full of > fascinating TMBG info, upcomming concert dates, and fan questions > answered by John and John. If they ever bother to send you a copy. I've been waiting since early December for mine. They're taking forever. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:45:00 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Are WE being taken for granted????? > From tmbg-list-owner@tmbg.org Mon Feb 12 15:35:00 1996 > On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > > > The newsletter contains a whole mail order section listing all the > > available albums and singles (usually on tape, CD and the most wonderful > > medium - vinyl!!), t-shirts, hats, shot glasses, key chains, > > postcards...and so on and so forth. The newsletter is also full of > > fascinating TMBG info, upcomming concert dates, and fan questions > > answered by John and John. > > If they ever bother to send you a copy. I've been waiting since > early December for mine. They're taking forever. > > Mark Are They perhaps taking the loyal fans for granted???? It's always They, They, They...What about Us, Us, Us?!?! We should revolt. That's a ridiculous amount of time to be waiting for a simple newsletter. What's Their excuse? They are not on a major tour. We haven't even heard of an album coming out. Sure, We`re teased about "super-Fueled Freakcycle(sp?)". I for one, don't think it really exists. It's a ploy to keep Their masses sedated. That`s all I got to say about that. I need a fix of something new from Them.........and soon. grd ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:45:12 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: RE:chess piece face, insult or compliment? On Mon, 12 Feb 1996 BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: > PERSONALLY, I THINK IT'S JUST A PET NAME FOR ONE OF THE STAGEHANDS. IF NOT > HOWEVER, I VOTE FOR COMPLIMENT. AFTER ALL, TO BE CALLED ANYTHING BY A JOHN > WOULD BE TRULY SPIRITUAL. BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK > I called my little brother Chess piece Face once....... he never forgave me.... I guess he'll never understand....... 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "Never let a man get the upper hand - there's no telling where he might put it." - Piers Anthony, _Man from Mundania_ *-------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:50:26 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: Re: JOHNS... On Mon, 12 Feb 1996 BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: > HI. ALMIGHTY AND GODLIKE BIG... ERR GIANTEST FAN OF THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS HERE! > JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICES THAT ALL THE BEST PEOPLE ARE NAMED JOHN. > I BELIEVE THEIR'S A CONNECTION HERE, YOU KNOW, THE FACT THAT ALL GODS ARE NAMED > JOHN (CEPTIN' OF COURSE FOR BUBSY) AND THAT ALL THE MOST WORTHLESS PEOPLE ARE > NAMED CHUCK? OF COURSE, YOU ARE ALL EXCEPTIONS, AS YOU ARE TMBG FANS, AND SO > HAVE RISEN ABOVE ALL THOSE OTHER LOOSERS. MAYBE GIANTS FANS SHOULD CHANGE > THEIR NAMES TO SISTER/BROTHER JOHN WHATEVERTHEIRNAMEMIGHTBE. THAT WOULD > TRULY MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. > BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK :> > Yes, but then Ben and Jerry's would be known as John and John's....... Expectant parents can be overheard saying "John if it's a boy and John if it's a girl"...... It'll be practically impossible to get vanity license plate "JOHN"........ Bond fans would look forward to great line "Bond. John Bond"....... Writing your name on your underwear at summer camp would be useless...... That one scene in Sparticus (Renamed "John") would suck, considering that they were all John anyway, and therefore saying that they were John wouldn't be that noble....... Rude drivers would say "Get off the road, John, you asshole" as a general battle cry...... We'd argue over where John Ng was supposed to live....... :) Just a few thoughts (: 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "Never let a man get the upper hand - there's no telling where he might put it." - Piers Anthony, _Man from Mundania_ *-------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:43:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: TMBG project On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > Could someone explain the TMBG project to me? I've seen the votes > counter multiple times but don't know what's going on! Help! > The project is an experiment that will eventually be conducted. It's a three part project that will result in a tape of a) 3 songs as preformed by various members of this list, all at once, without ever having practiced together... and b) solo covers by other people on the list. The three song part is what the voitng is about. We need to decide what 3 songs are going to be played. The idea is, after the 3 have been selected, people will record themselves playing some or all of them while listening to the real version via headphones. This will (hopefully) eliminate contradictions in tempo, key signatures, etc. The tapes will then be mailed to me, and I will compile everything into nice little tracks, mix it down, and send it out. The solo covers part is if some people decide that either they don't want to play one of the 3 voted songs, or if somebody recorded a really nifty version of a TMBG song... I personally would like to put my bass guitar Ana Ng version on the tape if there's room. That's the project. If you've more questions, feel free to write lebo@locke.ccil.org lebo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:55:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Project voitng ends 2/12! This should be the last update before the final results, because the project voting ends on Tuesday, and today is Monday, and I can never spell "tomorrow" correctly... unless I did then... ANYWAY! Vote now; it's your last chance! 7 votes - She's an Angel Cowtown 3 votes - Dead Birdhouse Turn Around They'll Need a Crane 2 votes - Welcome 2 the jungle AKA Driver End o' da tour The Statue (gave me some drugs and) Got Me High You'll Miss Me vote now! Reply to this message and vote for the project! then vote John and John for Prez. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:31:10 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Info Club On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > If they ever bother to send you a copy. I've been waiting since > early December for mine. They're taking forever. Mark That's because they only come out twice a year, and the last one arrived around Novemer 15th. The next one should come out in about... 3-4 months? This has been my experience, but I've only gotten 2 issues, so I could be wrong. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:47:11 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette. Who else?" Subject: Re: Nuthin' in particular....... > If they ever bother to send you a copy. I've been waiting since > early December for mine. They're taking forever. > > Mark They only send out two or three a year, I heard..... I've been on since August, and only recieved two. Grump! They'll come around, though! And boy, is it worth it! 'Nette ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`' "Never let a man get the upper hand - there's no telling where he might put it." - Piers Anthony, _Man from Mundania_ *-------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu `'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,. narf! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:04:48 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: tape for the unfortunates... Ana Ng Birdhouse On Sat, 10 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > Here's a little question: > I am gonna make a tape of some Gaints stuff to get the losers at my school > hooked on it... the question is what do I put on the tape? I need > suggestions, not of what you like the best now but what you liked best upon > first listening to They... BTW, I only have the 6 albums and Back to Skull so > the songs have to be from there... send any responses directly to this > adress: ruprecht@m-net.arbornet.org > (using seperate addresses is the only way I can keep > track) > > me who should really stop giving a damn what the people at my school like ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:14:04 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: JOHNS... On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Jeanette. Who else? wrote: > Yes, but then Ben and Jerry's would be known as John and John's....... > Expectant parents can be overheard saying "John if it's a boy and John if > it's a girl"...... It'll be practically impossible to get vanity license > plate "JOHN"........ Bond fans would look forward to great line "Bond. > John Bond"....... Writing your name on your underwear at summer camp > would be useless...... That one scene in Sparticus (Renamed "John") would > suck, considering that they were all John anyway, and therefore saying > that they were John wouldn't be that noble....... Rude drivers would say > "Get off the road, John, you asshole" as a general battle cry...... We'd > argue over where John Ng was supposed to live....... > > :) Just a few thoughts (: > 'Nette Wow. So that's whjat happens when you forget to exhale the helium. I've always wondered about that. Brendan PS- Only kidding, Nette. I'm just joking. Hey. Put the knife down. Stop! I mean it!!!! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! I'M SORRY!!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHhhhhhhh....... PPS- Was that going a too far? Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:19:36 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Are WE being taken for granted????? On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > Are They perhaps taking the loyal fans for granted???? > It's always They, They, They...What about Us, Us, Us?!?! > We should revolt. That's a ridiculous amount of time to > be waiting for a simple newsletter. What's Their excuse? > They are not on a major tour. We haven't even heard of > an album coming out. Sure, We`re teased about "super-Fueled > Freakcycle(sp?)". I for one, don't think it really exists. > It's a ploy to keep Their masses sedated. That`s all I got > to say about that. Just off-hand, how much did you pay for your subscription? Nothing right? Unless you did, in which case you have a right to bitch..... I'm not going to say that you get what you pay for, but if it's free, thenmThey can mail it out whenever They feel like it. Voice of Reason, Brendan Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 15:21:01 MST Subject: RE: TMBG video compilation I was at Blockbuster Video last month and looked in their catalog. The TMBG video collection was listed for $12 or $13 as a standard video that could be ordered. I plan to get to soon. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:27:34 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Project voitng ends 2/12! On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > This should be the last update before the final results, because the > project voting ends on Tuesday, and today is Monday, and I can never > spell "tomorrow" correctly... unless I did then... > ANYWAY! Vote now; it's your last chance! > She's an Angel Dead Birdhouse Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:48:45 -0800 (PST) From: Marvin the Unreal Subject: Re: Are WE being taken for granted????? Now, now, it's best not to wait for anything to happen...it will only make you miserable. I don't think the fans should revolt. I think that if you are a true fan, you will accept that you have not received a newsletter and continue to enjoy Their music. As the publisher of a newsletter, I am fully conscious of how hard it can be to meet any particular deadline. After all, I believe it was John Lennon who said, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans." Marvin of 41 On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > Are They perhaps taking the loyal fans for granted???? > It's always They, They, They...What about Us, Us, Us?!?! > We should revolt. That's a ridiculous amount of time to > be waiting for a simple newsletter. What's Their excuse? ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: interps... Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 20:58:10 -0500 (EST) > > On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > > > > > On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > > > I declare that I am England > > > "Declare" again.... > > > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > > > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... > > ^^^^^^^ > > 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, > > to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. > > > > Pedantry, pedantry. > > > > Mark > > > > Ah... but isn't saying "England" more poetic, fits nicer into the rhythm, > and very AMERICAN way of alluding to a big island? It's sounds better > that "I declere that I am the United Kingdom..." doesn't it? Ahh but I think "I declare that I am Britain" would sound just as good, and it has the same syllables and such too. I do like "I declare that I am England" though. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: interps... Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 21:33:20 -0500 (EST) > On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > > > > > On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > > > > > > I declare that I am England > > > > > "Declare" again.... > > > > > The singer is liking the idea of being alone with her so much > > > > > that his island becomes England. England is a big island... > > > > ^^^^^^^ > > > > 'Fraid not. England has other bits tagged on. Scotland and Wales, > > > > to be precise. England on it's own is not an island. > > > > > > Ah... but isn't saying "England" more poetic, fits nicer into the rhythm, > > > and very AMERICAN way of alluding to a big island? It's sounds better > > > that "I declere that I am the United Kingdom..." doesn't it? > > > > Surely Britain would do just as well. "I declare that I am > > Britain, You declare that I have drowned." Not that I care, particularly. > > How about - "I declare I'm Madagascar, you declare that I have drowned"? > > 'Nette, who likes saying "Madagascar" when there's nothing left to say. > > You know, Madagascar is the best place on the whole Risk board!! ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Feb 96 02:44:09 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: RE: JOHNS... Remember that as much as we love John F & L that others such as John Dillenger share the name. Plus, what's the rule for people named JON? And what about naming toilets "John". Also, all unknown folks are "John Does"? ...and what's the deal with the CAPITAL LETTERS? A big fan of the Johns.....AL ---------- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org on behalf of BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Sent: Monday, February 12, 1996 1:22 PM To: TMBG-LIST@tmbg.org Subject: JOHNS... HI. ALMIGHTY AND GODLIKE BIG... ERR GIANTEST FAN OF THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS HERE! JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICES THAT ALL THE BEST PEOPLE ARE NAMED JOHN. I BELIEVE THEIR'S A CONNECTION HERE, YOU KNOW, THE FACT THAT ALL GODS ARE NAMED JOHN (CEPTIN' OF COURSE FOR BUBSY) AND THAT ALL THE MOST WORTHLESS PEOPLE ARE NAMED CHUCK? OF COURSE, YOU ARE ALL EXCEPTIONS, AS YOU ARE TMBG FANS, AND SO HAVE RISEN ABOVE ALL THOSE OTHER LOOSERS. MAYBE GIANTS FANS SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NAMES TO SISTER/BROTHER JOHN WHATEVERTHEIRNAMEMIGHTBE. THAT WOULD TRULY MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK :> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 23:17:50 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (sunny) Subject: thanks! just wanted to thank everyone who wrote up what they thought of Sleeping in the Flowers. *smiling at all the nice people* jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 00:12:23 -0500 Subject: Re: thanks! *Smiling at a nice Jen...* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-44 *****************************