Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-49 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 49 Sunday, 18 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: small and large gripes Re: come on, gang!! Web Site Update Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... HA HA VICTORY!!! (well in a limited sense) danke, danke Wisconsin TMBG Re: HA HA VICTORY!!! (well in a limited sense) Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? 18+ shows and stuff another day, another question... Re: tmbg www page... Re: tmbg www page... Tour dates Re: pearl Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Re: pearl Merc Lounge tkts Hidden Track? 18+ shows and stuff Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: small and large gripes Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 9:03:39 EST From: Fred Boak Organization: WordStock, Inc. On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Nick Hatton (anakin@smartlink.net) wrote: > > I'm 16, and I think it's pretty annoying when They play 18+ or 21+ shows. > "Cause then I can't get in. Why would They do 18+ or 21+ shows? I've got > all 6 albums and If I'm right They only swear 2 or 3 times, what's wrong > with that? Nothing wrong with it at all. They do sometimes play all ages shows, but usually only when they are on a big tour, after an album comes out. The play nice sized concert halls (3,000+ seats, often). However, they also tour quite often when they DON'T have a new album out, so the hype isn't as great, and they wind up playing 500-1000 person clubs ... bars, if you will. These places really have to jump through hoops to have all ages shows ... I went to one (Bob Mould), where they didn't serve any alcohol, which is a BIG money maker for such a club. If you're lucky, TMBG will come to the LA area and play a college show on one of these smaller tours. Or, you will have to wait until they release a new album and get the record company to send them out on a big tour. > Of course, since I live on the west coast near LA I'll never actually be > near any place that They're playing at so there probably isn't much of a > point to this. They get out there fairly often, I think. Not as often as they play NYC and Boston, but they are FROM Boston and LIVE in NYC! > Also, is the newsletter worth the frustration and anxiety that it causes in > the people that try to get it? I've heard plenty of horror stories on list > about it, is it really that bad? What frustration? You send them your address, and then you patiently wait for something to arrive in the mail. It may take some time (I think they send out these things in bulk, so if you join right after a mailing, you're out of luck until the next one). There's basically no expense on your part, so how can it not be worth it? When you do get to see them, you will not be disappointed. These guys put on a most excellent show. - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 10:55:53 -0500 Subject: Re: come on, gang!! From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Feb 16, 1996 20:22:24, 'Matthew James ' wrote: > >Hammer down and rabbit ears! Where ya going? Matt Ladies and Gentlemen Rabbit Ears Has Left the building(list)!! -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Web Site Update Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 11:03:49 -0500 (EST) I just 'Netscape Enhanced' *caugh* www.tmbg.org. I was careful to make sure that other browsers would be able to see everything though. Those of you with Netscape 2.0...please take a look and let me know what you think. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 11:17:24 18000 > > On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > > > > And, before I go, if anyone has a really creative idea that I > > >could do for my seminar in English on They, feel free to tell me! > > >(Keep in mind this is high school here) I basically just have to > > >entertain the class, and make a point that Their music isn't just > > >fluff. Any song / video suggestions? > > > You know, ya just can't go wrong with James K. Polk. > -Slacker Ng. > D'ohhhh! I don't HAVE a recording of James K. Polk! Where could I get one? -- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:16:37 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: HA HA VICTORY!!! (well in a limited sense) i got a friend of mine to name her car Persephone. now all i need is to slip her some TMBG albums and she will be mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i'm better now thank you daniel ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:42:29 E Subject: danke, danke Thanks to everyone who wrote about song suggestions to play for my roommate. The main reason I asked is because she and I and our 2 other best friends are making a mix tape and each person is including 6 songs by their 6 favorite singers/bands, and of course I had to include a TMBG tune on there...the whole point is to expose each other to the music that we each like, but to stay within the listenability range (nothing we are sure the others will hate). I picked all my other songs except for my TMBG one, and it's been driving me crazy. My roommate is the Bette Midler type, and I just don't want to send her into a fit by putting anything too fast or loud on there...I'll probably pick one of the ones you guys suggested...I mean who knows better than ye olde mailing list? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Procrastinating on the computer again, Trace ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:41:14 -0600 (CST) Subject: Wisconsin TMBG I have heard a rumor and I was wondering if anyone could confirm it. I have heard that They will be playing at the University of Wisconsin Madison on March 31. I desperately need to know if this is truth of not. "His face which was a paper white mask of evil sang us this song..." Mike P. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:25:04 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: HA HA VICTORY!!! (well in a limited sense) A car named Persephone? Well........................ it's still not as cool as my "Boat of Car" (a rather largish auto ['88 Skylark] that went as "the Big Red Boat" for some time.) Now, if ya got her to call it John Henry...... that would be interesting. Good luck converting her over! Luv, 'Nette <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 16:41:23 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: Hot Ska on Happy Days?????? Cuper Vargas wrote: >P.S. Regatta 69 (the band that started this whole bizarre argument) are > pretty fucking brilliant. If you see their album "Fat-Free" > anywhere, DO NOT HESITATE to buy it immediately. I'm a little behind on reading the list so this is a bit old, but I recently picked up Regatta 69's Fat-Free and it is really really good! Does anyone know how their self-titled album compares to Fat-Free? Pat -- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 16:54:23 -0500 Subject: 18+ shows and stuff Hey People You guys who are complaining about only being 16, look at me. ( not literally ) I am only 12. If anyone has a right to complain it's me. I won't though because it's annoying. Some different threads maybe... 1) Who sings in Darkened Corridors ( Fingertips ) 2) John Henry album one big story? 3) What constellation is in See the Constellation? One more question, How the heck do you play backwards messages? JaN+sChMAn, who would like to see TMBG @ Gund Arena sometime ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 17:20:25 E Subject: another day, another question... Hey guys, I was just randomly looking at TMBG FAQs and lyrics etc, and I was thinking about those oh-so-naive days when I thought there were completely different words to some They songs (Pink Album mostly, the others pretty much have the words in em) I'm curious if you all had any misconceptions as well (I recently read a Dave Barry book where he did a poll about ppl who misunderstood lyrics and it was hysterical..) Anyway, my question is...what did you think they were saying?? Just trying to get a little comedic relief here, kids. The girl who thought Everything...Wrong Again went "Every frog is waltzing in", Trace ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 22:47:00 GMT Subject: Re: tmbg www page... From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Feb 16, 1996 18:31:48, 'Leo Bicknell ' wrote: >Just to explain a bit, the tmbg.com site started out in one direction, but the >Giant's didn't like it...so some time passed while the decided what exactly >they wanted. They have now decided, and once again work is being done to put >up the site...look for it soon. > When you say the "Giant's" didin't like, are you refering to the real Giants as in John and John? -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: tmbg www page... Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 18:03:04 -0500 (EST) > When you say the "Giant's" didin't like, are you refering to the real > Giants as in John and John? Yes. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: FROSTJO@ZIAVMS.ENMU.EDU Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 16:39:34 -0700 (MST) Subject: Tour dates I have been scanning the web for any mention of upcoming tour dates, and all I can find is ones from 1995. I have been denied access to a few sites so I may just not be able to get to them. I was wondering, is there a tour coming up, and will TMBG ever come to NM? If someone can give me an address for a page or send me this information, I would appreciate greatly. I have been a TMBG fan for a while, and I love their. I have heard that they are best in concert though, and really would like to see them. Thank you, Joyce Frost FrostJo@Ziavms.Enmu.edu "I don't understand you. I just don't understand you..." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 21:14:56 -0500 Subject: Re: pearl Has anyone noticed that if you look at pearl REAL close and then far away, it looks kind-of different? Choosy fans choose Them, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 22:04:21 18000 > > Lucky for you Tom, I kept me ticket and put the concert date in me organizer. > They came to Charleston, South Carolina on February 23, 1995 at 8:00 with the > opening act The Dambuilders (they're good, check-out Encendedor) for the JH > tour. Where do you go to make your T-shirts. Send me the list of dates when > you're done. For your seminar, you should talk about the variety of meanings > that Their lyrics can take on. Maybe you should download all the interps. > from the www.tmbg.org page if you haven't already. Also, my hypercard class > loved Shoehorn With Teeth and (of course) Particle Man. > Choosy fans choose Them, > Brother JohnBeezus > I make my t-shirts at school but I still haven't got the tour dates down yet. Thanks for your input on the seminar, that's prolly what i'm gonna end up doing: Now this question goes out to all of you: Which songs should I play for my class? I interpreted Puppet Head, I should Be allowed to Think and The WOrld's Address in my paper on Them which accompanies the seminar. I may or may not play these songs, but I NEED suggestions on which ones to play! -- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 22:26:47 -0500 Subject: Re: pearl In a message dated 96-02-17 21:24:42 EST, you write: >Has anyone noticed that if you look at pearl REAL close and then far away, it >looks kind-of different? >Choosy fans choose Them, >Brother JohnBeezus I thought it was neat that they used a giant blow-up of that picture in the background during their House of Blues appearance. Was that a special deal, or do they always do that? Either way, that's one lucky kid! Choosy Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 21:47:24 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Merc Lounge tkts HEY!!!! Does anyone know how far in advance you have to get the Mercury Lounge tickets?????????? (The Lounge is in Manhattan, right? I'll be going to the March 14 show if I can get ticktes while I'm there, and if I have to get them earlier then I'll need someone to get me two of them. Until then, I hope I will see people who can go on the 14th there!!!!! :) Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 20:10:11 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: Hidden Track? in one of the last few digests I saw something abourt a hidden track on one of Their CD's was that just wishful misinterpretation of what some one was saying, or is their actually a hidden track that I missed because I din't read all of the FAQ? "Tell me Pinky, do you practice being dumb or does it come naturally?" "Oh, practice Brain, practice, practice...." Pinky+The Brain "If it wasn't for disapointment, I wouldn't have any appointment's..." TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 18+ shows and stuff Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 01:46:19 -0500 (EST) > > You guys who are complaining about only being 16, look at me. ( not literally > ) > > I am only 12. If anyone has a right to complain it's me. Yow! They're gettin' younger every day! > > I won't though because it's annoying. > > Some different threads maybe... > 1) Who sings in Darkened Corridors ( Fingertips ) It has to be one of the Johns since they don't attribute it to a different person in the liner notes. I would guess Linnell, sorta sounds like him. > 2) John Henry album one big story? I dunno, I always thought of John Henry as an album that doesn't flow as well as some of the other ones, not that that's bad, it's just seem to be more separate songs. Whatdya'all think? > 3) What constellation is in See the Constellation? Probably all of them there constellations! Especially the one shaped like the Johns! > One more question, > > How the heck do you play backwards messages? I would get a tape player that plays songs backwards at the same speed (do they have CD players that do that?) > > JaN+sChMAn, who would like to see TMBG @ Gund Arena sometime > I heard a guy on the radio pronounce this arena as Gonnarhea (the STD) hehehe twas kinda funny. Matt Still looking to find a New Yorker who is buying Mercury Lounge tickets!! -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-49 *****************************