Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-50 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 50 Monday, 19 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: pearl Re: pearl Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Re: Wisconsin TMBG Flan's CD Club Re: pearl Pearl DOES ANYONE KNOW????? Misunderstood Lyrics Road Missing To Berlin... Misunderstoon Lyrics II Re: 18+ shows and stuff social blunder? I think maybe... MR. BLOBBY??? Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Re: another day, another question... Road Missing To Berlin... Re: another day, another question... Re: Flan's CD Club Re: Road Missing To Berlin... St. louis Upcoming... Re: St. louis Re: 18+ shows and stuff (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 07:31:52 -0500 Subject: Re: pearl >>Has anyone noticed that if you look at pearl REAL close and then far away, >it >>looks kind-of different? > >I thought it was neat that they used a giant blow-up of that picture in the >background during their House of Blues appearance. Was that a special deal, >or do they always do that? Either way, that's one lucky kid! That's also the picture that they have up on the background at tmbg.com... it must be some sort of conspiracy.... me who is way too bored ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 11:19:27 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: pearl On Sat, 17 Feb 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > I thought it was neat that they used a giant blow-up of that picture in the > background during their House of Blues appearance. Was that a special deal, > or do they always do that? Either way, that's one lucky kid! At the Cleveland concert (Friday Nov 4 1994 8:00 PM, not that I saved the ticket), they had the same set up as the HoB appearance, if I remember right. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... Date: Sun, 18 Feb 96 11:19:14 18000 > > > > > I make my t-shirts at school but I still haven't got the tour > > dates down yet. Thanks for your input on the seminar, that's prolly > Which dates are you speaking of? > Matt > The 1994 John Henry tour dates, when they blew by Tallahassee (my mater) and I saw them at a small club... it was great except for the freaking MOSHERS.... At one poin though it was funny... One guy was wearing a bike helmet in there, and Flans stopped between songs and said, "You know, wearing a crash helmet in the pit is a little bit like wearing spikes in little league..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 10:51:23 -0600 From: mkohner@mps.org (Matt Kohner) Subject: Re: Wisconsin TMBG >I have heard a rumor and I was wondering if anyone could confirm it. I have >heard that They will be playing at the University of Wisconsin Madison on March >31. I desperately need to know if this is truth of not. YES!!!! They are. My brother is a student at UW-Madison. I have a phone number for ordering tickets, but I don't have it with me right now. I know the doors open at 6:30, music starts at 7:30. It is not a ticketmaster thingee, so don't call them about it. I'll get the Phone # ASAP. -matt "the cheesehead" kohner ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 96 21:51:18 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: Flan's CD Club Does anybody have the adresss or details on joining Flan's CD club? I read about a year or two ago, and forgot to write down the details. Now that I have some spare $$ to blow, I would like to join. Thanx....Al ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 96 21:47:16 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: Re: pearl I think if y'all will check, you will find that they used Pearl at every stop on their John Henry tour. They even had Pearl times three at the Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta. I also loved the rest of the set, with the streetlights and the swirling red light in SPY. I also loved the fact that in Atlanta there were NO MOSHERS. It was easy to work your way up to the stage, and I only had to smack one person that jumped on my foot! If only the other cities were as well-behaved! p.s. Would'nt it be fun to start a mosh pit at a Yanni show? Seeing all of those middle-aged-rich-new age wannabe-white folks tossed around like ragdolls would be a blast! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 18:04:00 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Pearl My apologies!! In a previous posting I incorrectly identified Pearl as the girl in the movie "Deer Hunter". That was absolutely wrong. Pearl is from the girl from the movie "Night of the Hunter". Deer Hunter stars Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken, Night of the Hunter...well, Night of the Hunter does not. Anyway, in case anyone really cares, now you know! Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 17:23:15 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: DOES ANYONE KNOW????? HEY!!!!!!!!!!! I just had a brilliant thought!!!!!!!!! If I knew the number for Mercury Lounge, I bet they'd be able to give me all the info for the TMBG concerts in March (mainly the one on the 14th hehehe) :) SOOOOOOO, if anyone is from NYC or happens to know the number for information on NYC, it would be SO COOL if they could pass it on.... :) THANKS!!!!!!!!! Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 19:02:23 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Misunderstood Lyrics In 'Road Movie to Berlin', when they actually say 'glass of bourbon', I thought the were saying 'glass surbaban'. I don't know why, but it seemed like a great lryic. However, I was wrong. Brendan, who is wrong often. Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 18:41:39 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Road Missing To Berlin... Has anyone else noticed that the lyrics for "Road Movie To Berlin" printed in the liner of the "Lincoln" CD contain a verse that is not in the song? Did they ever record a version with the hidden verse? ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "I love you I know, but what does that mean when the only place forward is where we've just been?..." -John Wesley Harding ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Misunderstoon Lyrics II Date: Sun, 18 Feb 96 21:06:39 18000 Before I read the lyrics to Sensurround (If you've heard it) I was all delapidated on the lyrics.My friend and I thought it went thusly When I was lonely as I look I still remember the time When there was nothing to know or to think about Except the sound of my mind; Then the sound from my side, Sensurround, down at the botton, Sensible to be external And the world first spoke to me in sensurround Before the film she was expecting She might have gone to see jaws instead of picking the film where the sound effects Came right up to the foyer And I'd be differently formed, (Chorus) The rest we pretty much had right. Well that was bout the WORST job of deciphering lyrics we ever did... but hey, it was fun. P.S. what's the general consensus here about the first background lyrics in Dinner Bell? I was just wondering because I may need to lip sync it soon.... -- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:22:23 -0600 From: The Supreme Tino of Arlington Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff >> 2) John Henry album one big story? >I dunno, I always thought of John Henry as an album that doesn't flow as well as >some of the other ones, not that that's bad, it's just seem to be more separate songs. i argue the othere side of this one. i've always thought that at least the second half of JH is one of the best arranged sets of songs in a long time. from nooneknowsmyplan on, the album goes from track to track each song leading into the next incredibly well, i think anyway.... paul, who's car is named ana ng. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:43:55 -0600 (CST) From: Punky Brewster Subject: social blunder? I think maybe... Ok, me again. I was attempting to purchase dinner tonight, at this swanky little sandwich place on campus, when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that the guy behind me in line was wearing a TMBG shirt (the one with the orange sunburst thingy, and Pearl on the back.) Instantly, a debate arose between the voices in my head: "Hey, look, it's a guy in a TMBG shirt!" "Should we say something?" "NO, you remember what happened last time!" "No, what _DID_ happen last time?" "The guy looked at us funny." "He did?" "Yes, he _sneered_." "Well, maybe this guy will be different. I mean, he's an Aggie too, right? They're supposed to be nice to one another." "Ok, it's your call, cheese-eater!" "Don't call me that! I hate it when you call me that!" Ok, the rest isn't really important. Anyway, I turned around and said "I like your shirt." The voices had a field day with this one: "I LIKE YOUR SHIRT?!?! Are you some kind of a bonehead!?!?" "Geez, she's really blown it this time. She sounded like a complete imbecile...." I promptly smacked the voices into submission, as the guy started talking about how he'd camped out for tickets back in '94, when They played Texas A&M. He said the show ended up not even selling out. But I was happy, because now, I feel like I can go up to any dog-fearing citizen in a TMBG shirt, and tell them that I think they're swell, and they won't laugh at me. Well, not all of them. -jenny @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ "My one regret in life is that I am not someone else..." - Woody Allen Visit the new and vastly uninproved Home Page-a-go-go! http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:13:43 -0500 Subject: MR. BLOBBY??? i love Mr. Blobby!! i guess i must have missed the thread about him, can anyone re-cap for me? Llama Grrl ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:13:44 -0500 Subject: Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... They played at the Avalon on April 27th, in '95. i hope that helps. ------------------------------ From: DANNYJONES@delphi.com Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:19:48 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: another day, another question... >Anyway, my question is...what did you think they were saying?? > Just trying to get a little comedic relief here, kids. > The girl who thought Everything...Wrong Again > went "Every frog is waltzing in", > Trace A girl in our church group thought that in "Birdhouse in Your Soul" the lyric was "say I'll always be your bunny" instead of "say I'm the only bee in your bonnet." ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Road Missing To Berlin... Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:30:53 -0500 (EST) > Has anyone else noticed that the lyrics for "Road Movie To Berlin" > printed in the liner of the "Lincoln" CD contain a verse that is not in the > song? Did they ever record a version with the hidden verse? As far as I know Road Movie to Berlin is on Flood, not Lincoln, but I'm sure the lyrics are probably wrong in whatever case, liner notes generally mangle the lyrics somewhat. To Tom Hare: Dinner Bell is awesome, go for it, a friend of mine knows all the words by heart, I wish I did, tis my favorite on Apollo 18 (which is the bvest TMBG album!) As for mangling lyrics, I used to thik that on Which Describes How Your Feeling All the Time, where they sing those words really slow and with lacking enthusiasm, I used to think they were just mumbling blah blah blah. Now that my friend has pointed out they are saying the song title I know better. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:53:16 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: another day, another question... > A girl in our church group thought that in "Birdhouse in Your Soul" the lyric Oh yeah, one of my friends thought it was "Luke and Harry in the outlet by the lightswitch" which kind of upset me then, but looking back, it's rather funny... - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:03:19 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Flan's CD Club > Does anybody have the adresss or details on joining Flan's CD club? I read Just call 1-800-HELLO-41, which is pretty easy to remember, and listen to the introduction thing for further instructions. When asked what the 41 was, I think Flans said "it's for the one number to call, 1-800-HELLO-41" which is very cheesy yet funny. Oh yeah, and the adresss is Hello CD of the Month Club PO Box 551, Palisades, New York 10964 (and my membership # is 5852 J if anyone has any use for that... wait a minute, I hope you don't...). - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:05:39 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: Road Missing To Berlin... At 10:30 pm 2/18/96, Matthew James wrote: >> Has anyone else noticed that the lyrics for "Road Movie To Berlin" >> printed in the liner of the "Lincoln" CD contain a verse that is not in the >> song? Did they ever record a version with the hidden verse? >As far as I know Road Movie to Berlin is on Flood, not Lincoln, but I'm >sure the lyrics >are probably wrong in whatever case, liner notes generally mangle the >lyrics somewhat. Ooops, my mistake... 'Tis indeed on Flood, but the missing verse is still there. There is also a missing lyric in "You'll Miss Me" which is indeed on Lincoln, if memory serves (which it hasn't been, but oh well...). Anyway, has anyone else noticed this, my album-title illiteracy notwithstanding.... I never professed to be an expert... ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "So you can make me cum, that doesn't make you Jesus..." -Tori Amos ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:17:14 -0600 From: s993007@umslvma.umsl.edu (Alan ) Subject: St. louis Hey all, This is my first post to the list and thought i'd let you know, They will be in St. Louis, MO, on march 29th. Anyone here going to the show with me? Alan ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:45:58 -0500 Subject: Upcoming... Here's a list of upcoming shows courtesy of the TMBG folder on AOL and Michael, who posted them: >3/12 Pearl Street-Northampton,MA >3/13 -Biddiford, ME >3/16 Stephen talkhouse-Amagansett, NY >3/29 Missippi Nights-St. Louis, Mo (sold out the first day!!) >3/30 Northwestern-Chicago >3/31 -Madison, WI >4/12 -Elizabethtown, PA And then there are the Mercury Lounge shows. If you don't live in NY, and need tickets for ML, e-mail me _privately_. I can (hopefully) buy you tickets, but I'll tell you about my quandry if you write. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:53:39 -0600 (CST) From: Braaaaaad Subject: Re: St. louis Hey Alan. Me and about 8 of my friends are goig to be there. Looking forward to it. I saw them play Mississippi Nights over the summer, and it was really cool. Should be a great show! ////> ____________ c-oo -BRAd \ - On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Alan wrote: > Hey all, > This is my first post to the list and thought i'd let you know, They > will be in St. Louis, MO, on march 29th. Anyone here going to the show with me? > > > Alan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 00:29:11 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff On Sat, 17 Feb 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > 3) What constellation is in See the Constellation? > Orion. Definately Orion. :) Luv, 'Nette, Astronomy student by day, Superhero by night. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ From: postmaster@student2.uwsp.edu Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 01:55 CST >From postmaster Mon Feb 19 01:55:09 1996 Subject: smtp mail failed Content-Type: text Content-Length: 1966 Your mail to student2.uwsp.edu!lmelv354 is undeliverable. ---------- diagnosis ---------- ---------- unsent mail ---------- From tmbg-digest Sat Feb 17 03:05:06 0500 1996 remote from tmbg.org Received: (majordom@localhost) by mail.tmbg.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id DAA07992; Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:05:06 -0500 (EST) Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:05:06 -0500 (EST) From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199602170805.DAA07992@mail.tmbg.org> Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-48 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 48 Saturday, 17 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-44 logo alert Re: uh.... Re: Get interesting, or I'm gone. come on, gang!! Ska FAQ Re: pearl Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 Who do I write too.... (none) Ben's Dial-A-Song Hello Feature! Re: Get interesting, or I'm gone. Demo Tape NYC ticketmaster+TMBG concerts in March Er.... Actual TMBG Info! my post Re: Get interesting, or I'm gone. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 Re: DONT BOOTLEG Re: They in P.A. ? tmbg www page... o me oh my... were you asking for flames? Subliminal Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 Re: tmbg www page... CDA Protest (fwd) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-44 Re: Anybody wanna peanut? i mean t-shirt...... hmmmm... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-50 *****************************