Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-51 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 51 Tuesday, 20 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: 18+ shows and stuff Missed Lyrics-agogo Re: Road Missing To Berlin... Mangled lyrics Re: MR. BLOBBY??? Re: Mangled lyrics les state songs Jimmy Hat Trick Re: Mangled lyrics Positive info club story Re: Misunderstood Lyrics lyrics Elizabethtown 4/12? TMBG CDs for sale Wisconsin? Chicago? Re: lyrics Re: Jimmy Hat Trick Madison, Wisconsin Re: lyrics Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 Re: Missed Lyrics-agogo Re: Mangled lyrics Re: Jimmy Hat Trick Re: Wisconsin? Chicago? Re: Jimmy Hat Trick Re: St. Louis ML confusion...update. we are all whacked Elizabethtown Re: Wisconsin? Chicago? Re: Upcoming... TMBG at U of I...well, maybe! Re: 18+ shows and stuff Re: 18+ shows and stuff Elizabethtown, PA Re: Jimmy Hat Trick Re: 18+ shows and stuff Re: les chansons d'etats Web Site Updates Tickets help Wondering what the hell is up. Re: 18+ shows and stuff (none) Re: your mail Public Apology... Re: Mangled lyrics elizabethtown, PA Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:05:34 -0500 Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff >>> 2) John Henry album one big story? >>I dunno, I always thought of John Henry as an album that doesn't flow as >well as >>some of the other ones, not that that's bad, it's just seem to be more >separate songs. > >i argue the othere side of this one. i've always thought that at least the >second half of JH is one of the best arranged sets of songs in a long time. >from nooneknowsmyplan on, the album goes from track to track each song >leading into the next incredibly well, i think anyway.... > >paul, who's car is named ana ng. I think JH has the best mixture of fast/slow songs of any of Their albums. It's a good thing, too, because after being whipped into a boppin' frenzy by "No One Knows My Plan" or "Destination Moon," one _needs_ a nice slow song like "Dirtbike" or "Self Called Nowhere" to wind down. And "End of the Tour" has to be one of the all time greatest album-closing tunes ever! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:53:36 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (The Guy Flipping Through the Radio in Fingertips) Subject: Missed Lyrics-agogo Last post on this thread, I promise.... Everyone like the new name? I thought it was "this last suburban" in Road Movie to Berlin. That would make sense, because they are talking about some form of transportation most of the time. Oh well. (Suburban is a type of car, if you didn't know. My beloved band director, Mr. Bingham, has one.) Also, it took me a month and a half to figure out the chorus in Ana Ng. I had *no* clue what he was saying. ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:07:51 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Road Missing To Berlin... On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Jenna Davis wrote: > Has anyone else noticed that the lyrics for "Road Movie To Berlin" > printed in the liner of the "Lincoln" CD contain a verse that is not in the > song? Did they ever record a version with the hidden verse? Yes, I did, but I always thought that "Road Movie To Berlin" was on the album "Flood", not "Lincoln". Do you know something I don't?? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:18:05 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Mangled lyrics I guess I might as well join in. I used to think that in the song "Youth Culture Killed My Dog", the lyrics were "Back in the days when..." instead of "Bacharach and David...". Sick, isn't it? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:34:59 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: MR. BLOBBY??? >i love Mr. Blobby!! i guess i must have missed the thread about him, can >anyone re-cap for me? Here's the instant replay! As I remember, the thread somehow spun out of a discussion of the Power Rangers and SenSurround. "I hate Mr. Blobby!" "I like Mr. Blobby!" "I hate Mr. Blobby more!" "Who's Mr. Blobby?" "I hate Mr. Blooby!" "You spelled Blobby wrong!" "Will you shut up about Mr. Blobby already?" "Someone tell me who Mr. Blobby is!" "Let's vote!" "SHUT UP!" "The results are in..." "I have seen Mr. Blobby, and I am not pleased..." *Leo steps in to calm things down* "I vow never to talk about Mr. Blobby again." +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:49:45 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Mangled lyrics >I guess I might as well join in. I used to think that in the song "Youth >Culture Killed My Dog", the lyrics were "Back in the days when..." instead >of "Bacharach and David...". Sick, isn't it? My friends and I were utterly confused by "I don't understand what you did to my dog" for the longest time. The closest we could come was "Orange sandwich bit my dog." :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 09:10:31 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: les state songs hi there all! i am wondering about the infamous state songs. i wondered which ones there are, and which ones there aren't. if anyone knows, i'd love to hear. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:36:50 EST Subject: Jimmy Hat Trick What do you think of this? James Ensor, James K. Polk, Welcome to the Jungle, Jim(James)? How about the official, unofficial Jimmy Hat Trick of TMBG songs. Make comments. -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:51:19 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Mangled lyrics On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >I guess I might as well join in. I used to think that in the song "Youth > >Culture Killed My Dog", the lyrics were "Back in the days when..." instead > >of "Bacharach and David...". Sick, isn't it? > > My friends and I were utterly confused by "I don't understand what you did > to my dog" for the longest time. The closest we could come was "Orange > sandwich bit my dog." :-) Amazingly enough, I used to think the word "sandwich" was in that lyric too! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 10:33:15 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Positive info club story > Well, I requested the newsletter in September, got it in early November, and > placed my order immediately. I still haven't received it, which means I've > waited almost twice as long for the order than I did for the free letter--go > figure. I was unable to delight my mom and dad with TMBG coffee, shot > glasses, and "O Tannenbaum" for Christmas. The first year They offered the "O Tannenbaum" single (a couple of years ago?), I thought about it for a while (procrastinated) and decided about two weeks before Christmas that it might be cool to have. So I ordered it and was amazed to find it in my mailbox on December 23. Somebody was working mighty hard to be sure that I got it before Christmas (which made me feel kind of bad, since I ordered it at the very last minute and didn't really care if it came before Christmas or not - but I'm glad that it did). I was amazed and impressed. They *had said* that they would make every effort to get it out before the holiday, however. The rest of the time, they never claim to be prompt and you shouldn't expect it. >I propose that someone who > lives in the vicinity of the info club office go there and find out what the > deal is! I would guess that they are overworked and understaffed, perhaps? m@t ------------------------------ From: "Doug Haas" Organization: OneNet Communications Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:34:27 -0005 Subject: Re: Misunderstood Lyrics > In 'Road Movie to Berlin', when they actually say 'glass of bourbon', I > thought the were saying 'glass surbaban'. I don't know why, but it seemed > like a great lryic. However, I was wrong. > actually, in the liner notes, it says 'glass of bourbon' if I'm not mistaken. i may be but that's how i remember it. i haven't heard flood for a while since my tape died... Doug ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 10:58:01 E Subject: lyrics Alex et al, Hey, glad to see I wasn't the only one who was utterly confused by Youth Culture. I thought it was "Back in the Navy, I used to write his favorite songs, never never never do worry, ooh ooh Roman festival." and "Earl of Sandwich killed my dog." I think the sandwich thing is freaky. I finally had an epiphany once when I was just singing it to myself and said, hey, it's I don't understand what you did to my dog....it was really enlightening. Also, in Puppethead I thought the quit my job @ the carwash part went "Quit it, myyyy.... shout down at the car "I shouldn't have to write no one a goodbye note!"" Not to mention in Everything Right...I always sang "tell me if you like my flow-top screen" I figured hey, it's TMBG, it's not supposed to always make sense. So don't be ashamed. :) "Don't you want to know the reason why the cowbird's not appealing..." Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:05:01 -0500 From: kaw167@psu.edu (Keith A. Whitmire) Subject: Elizabethtown 4/12? Hello all, This is my first time posting, but I have been around a while. Does anyone know anything about this show? How can I get tickets. I need to see a show. I haven't seen one since 1/17 when They were in Lancaster, PA. Withdrawal sucks. Later. Keith //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // //\ /\ // // \\ //\\ // // \\ // \\ // // \\ // \\ // // \\// \\ // // \/ \\ // // // // // // // // ------------------------------ Date: 18 Feb 1996 13:26:00 +0100 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG CDs for sale Organization: The International Obscure Mailers I have these CDs for sale: o Australian import version of John Henry. Contains the 20 JH tracks plus a bonus CD5 with 6 live versions from the "Live in NYC" promo live CD (Don't let's start, Ana Ng, Particle man, Statue got me high, Birdhouse in your soul and Twistin') o The guitar (the lion sleeps tonight) CD-Single. This is the European version of the CD5, which has the UK single edit, the Williamsburgh extended mix, Cabbagetown and Siftin'. o Ana Ng CD5. This a European CD-Single released by Elektra in 1991 and has a Misc.T-alike cover. The songs on the CD5 are Ana Ng, They'll need a crane, (She was a) hotel detective and Don't let's start. Make me an offer. -- ++ Daniel Rodrigues Parreira ++ parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl ++ mail pgp@aquawolf.xs4all.nl for my public pgp key. For more info about me mail info@aquawolf.xs4all.nl. Other mailbot ideas are welcome. Ciao Future homepage at http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 11:47:16 PST From: asturm Subject: Wisconsin? Chicago? Hey I've been subscribed to this thing forever but this is the first time I've actually wrote into it. My name is Ryan Sturm I'm 17 and from Stillwater, MN. My other Musical Interests are Barenaked Ladies and Phish. I also am way into fantasy, RPG's, Fiction, MTG. Well anyways enough about me. The Question I have is I know THEY are playing at Chicago 3/30 and Madison 3/31. 2 questions. Are these all ages shows, and could I get tickets to either of these shows?? If any of you know the answers give me a buzz, or I guess you could leave a message on the list. Well bye for now.... RYaN sTUrm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:26:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: lyrics >write no one a goodbye note!"" Not to mention in Everything Right...I >always sang "tell me if you like my flow-top screen" I figured hey, it's In my case, this was "like my flown tapestry." +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:26:48 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Jimmy Hat Trick >What do you think of this? > > James Ensor, James K. Polk, Welcome to the Jungle, > Jim(James)? Is it Jim? I don't know. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:28:49 -0600 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: Madison, Wisconsin Mike wrote: <> The rumor is true; however, they'll be at the Barrymore Theatre not the University. The show is Sunday, March 31, at 7:30 p.m. You can charge tickets at (608) 255-INFO (4636). E-mail me for more information, V. -------------------- Editor CHS Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:54:56 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: lyrics On Mon, 19 Feb 1996 grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu wrote: > Also, in Puppethead I thought the quit my job @ the carwash part > went "Quit it, myyyy.... shout down at the car "I shouldn't have to > write no one a goodbye note!"" Not to mention in Everything Right...I Just a bit of trivial trivia...which artist originally sang the lyric "Quit myyyy....job down at the car wash, didn't have to write no one a goodbye note!" and for extra bonus points, what was the title of the song it was used in?? Here's a clue...the same artist was the first to use the lyric "this good luck charm, hangin' off o' my arm..." Alex ------------------------------ From: "MATTHEW ONDREY" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:56:51 EST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-47 A fellow digester brought to my attention: Is it Jim? Therefore, I propose the Jimmy Four Horsemen: James Ensor James K. Polk Welcome to the Jungle The Guitar -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:25:01 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Missed Lyrics-agogo Fine, I know this is a bad thread, but..... here's another! When I first heard Istanbul (my 1st love.... and the 1st They song I ever heard), I believed that the lyrics to the first verse were..... Istanbul was Constantinople Now Istanbul is Constantinople Been a long time gone, Constantinople And the Turks are tight On a moony guy..... This was the "working lyric sheet" until I finally got the tape and read the real words........ Luv, 'Nette <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:28:03 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Mangled lyrics Oh, another one: My friend Robin believes that she is singing "Food Sculptures kill my dog", "She is a hotel executive", and the always popular "girl with a radar detector" begins "the end of my door". Poor kid....... Luv, 'Nette <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:29:13 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Jimmy Hat Trick On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > What do you think of this? > > James Ensor, James K. Polk, Welcome to the Jungle, > Jim(James)? > > How about the official, unofficial Jimmy Hat Trick of TMBG > songs. Make comments. > > > What about "Jim" in the Guitar? Luv, 'Nette <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:54:12 -0600 From: mkohner@mps.org (Matt Kohner) Subject: Re: Wisconsin? Chicago? The Question I have is I know THEY are playing at Chicago >3/30 and Madison 3/31. 2 questions. Are these all ages shows, and could I >get tickets to >either of these shows?? The Madison show is an all ages show (I'm 17) doors open at 6:30, music starts at 7:30. matt "the cheesehead" kohner *---------------------------------- mkohner@mps.org http://www.mps.org/~mkohner *---------------------------------- -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: 2.6.2 mQCPAzDAmOQAAAEEAMR7MGoacWjfDH6M9PHgPB8UUOqX47JENZO1KoogClOWeQPg G0d0rjxSWC4rCuC0+y5sZCH8W4q9jR4Watywn5bE/t6n7IPrQwhZgzHTRKG2uaKK z5qqywz0plzM2pisgINm2TI3hLy/XNXvDD2HvGrbnAh2DAgf1Oo7IPlB5Sk9ABEB AAGwAYe0HU1hdHQgS29obmVyIDxta29obmVyQG1wcy5vcmc+sAEDmQBPAzDAbD8A AAECANlNQELMVpo7E4nqHAPbeBWrDpNNVkcaIKLgnwejYgF8VQfLT9aa/2zNASYj KfIE0/bnO65oJCBeeTND79k7970AEQEAAbABh7QdTWF0dCBLb2huZXIgPG1rb2hu ZXJAbXBzLm9yZz6wAQM= =oqkR -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:34:32 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Re: Jimmy Hat Trick At 09:36 AM 2/19/96 EST, you wrote: > James Ensor, James K. Polk, Welcome to the Jungle, > Jim(James)? I have to comment on James Ensor for a moment.. Last semester, in my art class, we needed to do a big term paper on an artist. The first thing that popped into my mind was, "Meet James Ensor." So, I did paper on him, found out he has to be one of the coolest artists ever, and got an A+. :) --- Tom Sullivan / Jonas Head Editor edi@cybercomm.net http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html --- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 12:37:57 CST From: "Gates, Jason Robert David" Subject: Re: St. Louis I'm going to the show in St. Louis too. It's at Mississippi Nights, which is cool because you can get right up to the stage. Do you know how i can get two more tickets? After it sold out, a couple of my friends that go to Notre Dame told me that they wanted to come in to see it, but I don't know how to get them tickets except by winning them off of 105.7 the Point, which is hard to do since I go to school 3 and a half hours away in Kirksville. if you know anything, fill me in please. -JASON GATES AKA JASON HERBIG "THE SHAVING RAZOR'S RUSTED AND ITS STING BRINGS YOU EXACTLY BACK TO MAINE." ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*., JASON'S SONG OF THE PERIOD-OF-TIME-THAT-IT-TAKES-JASON-TO-REMEMBER-TO- CHANGE-THE-SONG: "25 O'CLOCK" BY XTC ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:09:08 -0500 Subject: ML confusion...update. I just got back from one of the many trips I anticipate making to Mercury Lounge over the next month. When I got home I was looking over the tickets. Alright, so I was drooling over them, and I saw in bold print... ALL AGES. I guess this means that I was R-O-N-G wrong about the early show being 18+, and I apologize. Here's my latest info on the early ML shows: --ALL AGES --Doors open 7:00 --Tickets are $15.00 --March 7th and 14th tickets on sale now. (Many tickets still available, I would assume, since mine are #s 3-7 and 4-8.) --I'll know about the tickets for the 21st and 28th by, at the latest, a week from Wednesday. I'm not buying tickets for the late shows, being as though I am only 20.75 years old, so I don't know doors open time for those. Once again, I apologize for my misinformation. I'll disciple myself, I promise. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 15:52:13 E Subject: we are all whacked To everyone who contributed mangled lyrics Sheesh, we are strange. I think Jeanette's friend takes the cake with Food Sculptures kill my dog though...A friend of mine (who is a freaking music major no less) sings the ever popular Beatles song: Hey dude, don't get me wrong I'm not THAT bad. Alex, I don't know who sang the carwash bit, I am a store of useless trivia in general but that one escapes me. The way I found out what the words were on the pink album were having my friend read them to me over the phone as he browsed a lyrics server on the web...of course he had me say them to him as I thought they were first, so he had a grand old time laughing at me. As far as a show in Elizabethtown in April, please alert me ASAP if anyone has news about it. I'm up in Scranton PA and I know a TMBG fan with a car so I could probably hold her family hostage until she agreed to take me. Thanks. "a furry hamulastic mask a pair of shining marbeled eyes," Trace P.S. The Jim saga: Uh, I'm a thinking...my immediate reaction was that it was mere coincidence but as I sit here longer I am feeling kinda kooky. It's like...the twilight zone...with Jim Serling. Maybe instead of us all changing our names to John, the guys can be John and we girls can be Jim. How's that for obsessive-fandom? Later. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Elizabethtown Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:26:44 -0500 (EST) Could someone tell me where Elizabethtown, Penn. is in relation to Philly, Pitt, Scranton, Harrisburg, etc? I'm nearest to South and southeast PA and am thinking about going to this April show. Thanks. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:00:30 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: Wisconsin? Chicago? > The Question I have is I know THEY are playing at Chicago 3/30 and >Madison 3/31. 2 questions. Are these all ages shows, and could I get tickets to > either of these shows?? If any of you know the answers give me a buzz, or I > guess you > could leave a message on the list. Well bye for now.. The Chicago show is at a Northwestern gymnasium. Seeing how most athletic facilites don't serve beer in our twisted, conservative age,it's a safe bet it'll be all ages... Tickets go on sale Wednesday, but only for bratty NU students. General public tix should sell a bit later, going for $12.00. Appaarently, NU only paid TMBG $12,500 for the show...SO...how about we all concentrate our funds and have Them play a private show for all list members? We can hold it somewhere in a open field in Oklahoma...where we can all roam naked... Is the St. Louis show really sold out? Anybody got extras, or want to sell a ticket for an exuberant sum? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:19:21 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: Upcoming... On 2.18 some guy on AOL wrote: >Here's a list of upcoming shows courtesy of the TMBG folder on AOL >and >Michael, who posted them: >3/12 Pearl Street-Northampton,MA >3/13 -Biddiford, ME >3/16 Stephen talkhouse-Amagansett, NY >3/29 Missippi Nights-St. Louis, Mo (sold out the first day!!) >3/30 Northwestern-Chicago >3/31 -Madison, WI >4/12 -Elizabethtown, PA ....so I guess the shows at U of I were all just a horrible rumor? :(...or might they show up that week where no dates are scheduled? Is the show at Northwestern a Ticketcrapster event? Also, does anyone know the number for the Madison show? Lastly, ideas on getting tickets for the St. Louis show? Mike -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation Backwards Messages! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:29:03 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: TMBG at U of I...well, maybe! After my last post I called the Web (a local radio station and likely sponsor) and asked about those empty dates at the beginning of April as concert dates. The guy there said, "There is something in the works...so maybe." So I'll sit here and hope & hope & hope...and pass any info along to the list. -- Mike "Gee, maybe a great band will come to U of I this year...not like LA Guns who's playing this month" Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:35:41 -0500 Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff >> 3) What constellation is in See the Constellation? >> >Orion. Definately Orion. :) > >Luv, >'Nette, Astronomy student by day, Superhero by night. yeah, but even if he's got no cigar, no lady on his arm, he still has a club and like that belt thingy... maybe it's that one constellation, you know, the one with the stuff... me who who always talks about theat one thing with the stuff that does that thing you know ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:35:46 -0500 Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff In a message dated 96-02-19 06:13:34 EST, you (no, not you, that other you) write: > And "End of the Tour" >has to be one of the all time greatest album-closing tunes ever! > > what about Kiss Me Son of God and Road Movie to Berlin, EH?!! (eh?) me who uses unnecessary punctuation as often as possible ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 18:23:58 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: Elizabethtown, PA hey! did someone mention a show on April 12 in Elizabethtown PA?!? Isn't that near Harrisburg? WOW, that's within 5 hours of me (close, for boonie types like myself). If anyone has any info on that concert, or if any Maryland or Pennsylvania types are interested in going, give me a "hello". -o ya, why the hell would they play Elizabethtown? SOn of gOD (paul) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 19:14:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Jimmy Hat Trick > At 09:36 AM 2/19/96 EST, you wrote: > > James Ensor, James K. Polk, Welcome to the Jungle, > > Jim(James)? I'd also have to mention Jim Beam, which doesn't _really_ work, but it's in there... - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 19:21:25 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff On Mon, 19 Feb 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > It's a good thing, too, because after being whipped into a boppin' frenzy by > "No One Knows My Plan" or "Destination Moon," one _needs_ a nice slow song > like "Dirtbike" or "Self Called Nowhere" to wind down. And "End of the Tour" > has to be one of the all time greatest album-closing tunes ever! You can _wind down_ to Self Called Nowhere??? How can you relax when that song's on? I have to turn it up really loud and jump around. It's not a 'slow song'. It may have a slow beat, but it's not a 'soft' song. That's like saying a slow Metallica song is more relaxing (mebbe boring) than a fast Kenny G song (um... if one exists, I wouldn't know). The soft parts in between you can maybe relax to, but that's just a lull before the storm, like in The Guitar (live version). Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out, and it turned into a tirade, oh well. :) - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 19:28:14 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: les chansons d'etats State songs are: South Carolina (I think this one's the second best), Oregon, Pennsylvania (almost purely musical, and reminds me of trains), Maine (I love this one), and Nevada (which has like 30 seconds of singing and 6 or so minutes of other stuff... Anyone who has it, listen closely near the very end, and you can hear a 'Ryan, come on,' or something similar, which scared me, because I was listening to it with my eyes closed and headphones on and trying to pretend I was really outside, and if you'll notice, my name _is_ Ryan...). Anyone know the story behind this one? Sounds like they just left a mic outside in some park for awhile and put it on the disc. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 20:30:44 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Web Site Updates Today I have done extensive work on the website. Besides fixing links and doing general cleanup, I have added 20+ interps that have been laying around in my mailbox. Check them out! And let me or Leo know what you think of the changes. The URL: http://www.tmbg.org/ If you have any problems with any part of the site, please drop me a line. Include the version and kind of browser you are using, and the kind of computer you have. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 20:26:44 -0500 Subject: Tickets help if anyone has any info on a Nortwestern Tickets Or Madison tickets tell me ive been searching for a number thanks for your help -kaa ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 20:23:19 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: Wondering what the hell is up. Hey guys, It's me Tracy Grazioli I'm only pretending to be Bryan Shelton... it's a long story. I'm using my friend's email account because mine sucks...I can't send mail to anyone because it says my quota is exceeded and I only have one thing in my mailbox...um, hello? Could the tmbg list stuff that floods my mailbox have anything to do with this? I delte it as soon as I get it usually. delete that is. there is such lag I can't see as I type. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do and I can't get to the tmbg mailing list page on the www. What's up?? In response to the ppl who wrote me a who I can't write back directly now :( Cortney: yes definitely keep my updated on the etown show. I just heard about it so you know more than I do. Maybe we can go together or with a group of ppl from Scranton. Jeremy: Yes I know Greg and Heather -- not vvery well though. Greg was in my psych class -- seeing as he is from South Plainfield I wonder if you are too? I'm from East Brunswick. Small world... Anyway to everyone else, sorry for this weird typo-filled message. I'm gonna go yell at my sys admin or something. If any of the big kahunas here want to give me advice as to why this keeps occurring, I'm open to input. Thanks all. Your friendly neighborhood superhero, Tracy with yuou daily home astrology report ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:21:47 -0500 Subject: Re: 18+ shows and stuff >> And "End of the Tour" >>has to be one of the all time greatest album-closing tunes ever! >> >> > >what about Kiss Me Son of God and Road Movie to Berlin, EH?!! (eh?) Well, I definintely agree with you on RMTB, but as much as I love KMSOG, and, believe me, I _do_ love it to bits, it's not the best album-ender. Doesn't have that wonderful bittersweet air of finality about it, IMHO. But, hey, that's just me. Kay ------------------------------ From: lmelv354@student2.uwsp.edu Date: Mon Feb 19 20:56:06 CST 1996 '------------- Begin Forwarded Message ------------- Message-Version: 2 From: bu.edu!darchon Date: Mon Feb 19 11:15:52 -0500 1996 Received: from bu.edu by student2.uwsp.edu; Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:45 CST Received: by acs5.bu.edu (8.6.11/BU_SmartClient-1.0) Received: id LAA143038; Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:15:52 -0500 End-of-Header: Email-Version: 2 Subject: Forwarded mail.... (fwd) To: bu.edu!Courtney To: medeiros@bu.edu (bu.edu!Medeiros) To: bu.edu!Karen To: karfreed@acs.bu.edu (bu.edu!Freed) To: bu.edu!Dragon To: vgrun464@student1.uwsp.edu (bu.edu!Lady) To: lmelv354@student2.uwsp.edu (bu.edu!Ladyfire) To: saphire@bu.edu (bu.edu!Saphire) Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 End-of-Protocol: Content-Type: TEXT/PLAI Content-Length: 4602 To whoever may read this, This is not a typical chain letter, in that by passing it on to as many people as you can, you are taking part in what may yet become the world's biggest practical joke. The U.S. Government has recently passed an act which enforces censorship on the internet. A group of internet users has now come together to kick back at this oppression, and have a bit of fun at the same time. The aim of this exercise is to re-establish the United States as "The land of the Free", not a fascist state where freedom of speech and thought are curtailed. Communist Russia fell as a result of such limits being placed upon the minds of the general populus. On receiving this letter, please pass it on to as many friends or E-mail lists as you can. We predict that if everybody copies the letter to 5 other addresses, by February 29th 1996, this letter should have reached in excess of 2 million people. That's when the fun begins........ On February 29th, please send the message: Dear Mr. President, Do you remember this: And afterwards enclose the pre-typed copy of the Bill of rights. By sending the letter on the date above, you will contribute to either one huge petition for freedom, or else lead to a crash of the whitehouse server.Send all letters to: President@Whitehouse.gov Remember that solidarity is the key to success THE BILL OF RIGHTS Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Amendment II A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. Amendment III No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. Amendment IV The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Amendment V No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. Amendment VI In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense. Amendment VII In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. Amendment VIII Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. Amendment IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people. ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: your mail Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:51:25 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts [...] >>>>>On February 29th, please send the message: >>>>> >>>>>Dear Mr. President, >>>>>Do you remember this: >>>>> >>>>>And afterwards enclose the pre-typed copy of the Bill of rights. By >>>>>sending the letter on the date above, you will contribute to either >>>>>one huge petition for freedom, or else lead to a crash of the >>>>>whitehouse server.Send all letters to: >>>>>President@Whitehouse.gov [...] Short version: Please don't. Long version: Please don't. The main reason the CDA was passed in the first place was because 'net folks do a poor job of communicating their culture to the "real" world. By participating in this, net.people will send a clear message to Washington (and more importantly, the mainstream press), but it will not be the one we want to send. Instead of seeing a group of committed freedom activists, they will see a bunch of loose cannons - extremist wackos who NEED to be controlled since they can't police themselves. It will result in MORE, not LESS governmental controls on the 'net. What CAN you do? Simple. Write a letter (that's the pen-and-ink kind, not the electronic variety) to your representatives and senators expressing your concern over their attempts to regulate the online world. Urge your friends to do so, too. If you're openly geeky like me, wear a blue ribbon to work and/or class in support of human rights in the wired world. >>>>>Remember that solidarity is the key to success And cooperative terrorism is the key to our failure. Laura: please forward this to whomever sent it to you. I encourage other folks to contact the person who sent you the original note and ask them to send it back "upstream" so that the originator of the message will receive it. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 22:08:20 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Public Apology... Okay, I admit it. I'm unworthy of calling myself a fan. I got "Lincoln" and "Flood" confused for a moment, and unfortunately that moment happened to be while I was posting. So here it comes (inform my ex-boyfriends, I'm sure they'll be tickled to hear this...) I WAS WRONG!!! "Road Movie" is indeed on "Flood." I'm a careless dolt. I'd cash in my Giants collection, but some jerk stole it out of my friend's car. My head is perpetually hung in shame of my ignorance. Now, would you all PLEASE stop correcting me? ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net "So you can make me cum, that doesn't make you Jesus..." -Tori Amos ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 23:17:37 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Mangled lyrics On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Jeanette, the lost Warner sib wrote: > Oh, another one: My friend Robin believes that she is singing "Food > Sculptures kill my dog", "She is a hotel executive", and the always > popular "girl with a radar detector" begins "the end of my door". > > Poor kid....... Oh, I forgot one..... "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the cold and each other's new jackets". No lie! 'Nette <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Everyone dies frustrated inside, and that is beautiful." - TMBG *--------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost | "The next president to lead the way,/ It just frost@trenton.edu | might be yourself one day./ Then the press'll Trenton State | distort everything you say........" Animaniacs <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> Support Free Speech On The InterNet!!!!! egad! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:45:51 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: elizabethtown, PA for those of you who are wondering about the Elizabethtown, PA, show...i can help you out! As long as it is the E-Town that is right down the road from my home...meaning about 15-20 minutes...yes, that's right, 15 to 20!! I know you must all be jealous of me, but i'm jealous of me, too, though, because here i am in Ithaca, NY, around 4 hours from E-town...hmm, a dilemma. But one to consider! I'm assuming that this show in E-town is at the college...should be interesting! Elizabethtown is...hmm...in the middle of nowhere. I guess probably the closest thing i can think of in relation to it is Lancaster, Pa, or maybe Lebanon (south central, PA, about 50 mins. or so from Harrisburg, perhaps a bit more)...ring a bell for anyone? Lancaster is probably the most recognizable name...so if any of you really need directions, and have a vague idea how to get to it, i can tell you from there... WOW...i'm still blown away by the fact that They're playing so close to home! My home will be forever an enlightened one. Fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal see you all later! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-51 *****************************