Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-52 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 52 Wednesday, 21 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-51 Good transition http://www.tmbg.com/ squirt tv Marywood sucks a big weenie. Re: TMBG on the Radio... Re: Road Missing To Berlin... corrections Good transition Re: Flan's CD Club Re: Good transition Stoners? It was cool (none) Re: lyrics TMBG Mailing List Page tmbg shirts Re: Stoners? Re: It was cool Re: Stoners? Mercury Lounge shows Re: squirt tv Evanston Show I'll ask again.... Transitions Re: Transitions Re: Transitions What a moron is I ! Re: No Subject lyrics? The Vision How do I get Chicago Tickets??? Re: squirt tv Re: Stoners? Re: lyrics? Re: Stoners? My Point (and I did have one) Formerly Road Missing To Berlin... Re: lyrics? chess piece face:compliment? Re: lyrics? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 08:38:37 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-51 hello all! speaking of misunderstood lyrics, here's one that comes to mind: if i had a pair of eyes in teh back of my head for each time you forgot to take out all the things you forgot to talk about when you took a bite out of my spine i would have a lot of eyes on the other side wouldnt i, wouldnt that just be fine. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Good transition Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 8:41:13 18000 Hey, maybe it's just me, but I always thought Rhythm Section Want Ad was a good album closer, but then again, on my tape it goes RIGHT into SenSurround after that... it works pretty well, too. At the end of RSWA, it's going "Here's the reason why... why... whyyyyyyy (Dun)" Then SenSurround starts immediately. Oh well. Try it sometime. -- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:51:57 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: http://www.tmbg.com/ Mornin'! why am i not getting any info on: http://www.tmbg.com/ thanks in advance for you help!!!!!! grd ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:19:16 -0600 (CST) From: the Reverend Bob Dobbs Subject: squirt tv hello, kids. I was watching mtv last night (so sue me,) when a commercial for something called "Squirt TV" popped up. They had "Minimum Wage" playing in the background (you can tell if you squint.) Therefore, it may automatically be semi-cool, on that same level of cool something like Sandblast would get for playing "Snail Shell." But that's ok, because our Johns need all the exposure they can get. After all, how else will we have a peace-loving, They-listening world? -jenny, who is _NOT_ clinically insane, despite what you may think.... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ "My one regret in life is that I am not someone else..." - Woody Allen Visit the new and vastly uninproved Home Page-a-go-go! http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 13:28:05 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: Marywood sucks a big weenie. Hey gang, My system is still screwy, but at least now I know that other ppl are having the same problem here. Misery loves company. To everyone who mailed me about anything -- I will get back to you asap I'm sure you miss my witty and profound questions so y'all pray for the quick recovery of my system. Signing off as eer, yes Anne I'm every woman, (that was supposed to be "as ever") Tracy, Trace, the Trace-meister, the ghost of your dance instructor. Keep that info about etown comin! ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:27:54 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: TMBG on the Radio... BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL! BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL! PLAY BIRDHOUSE AND ALL SHALL BE WELL! ALSO, CONTEMPLATE SOMETHING FROM "A KIND OF MAGIC" (QUEEN'S ALBUM FOR THE HIGHLANDER MOVIES). :) BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:35:57 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Road Missing To Berlin... I DON'T BELIEVE THEY DID. HOWEVER, IF YOU LOOK IN MR. ME, THEY HAVE AN EXTRA VERSE THERE TO. "THESE" SAY THE JOHNS," ARE JUST ALTERNATE LYRICS THAT WE ADDED TO GIVE A HIGHER LISTENING EXPERIENCE." BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: corrections Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 15:21:50 -0500 (EST) Just to lighten the mood a bit hopefully as far as corrections go... Ya gotta remember that we are all receiving this mail and at different times so people are going to naturally correct these things but since we don't see it corrected the first time it may be sent by some others and they will do the correcting and I guess you can see where this is going. Believe me I've been corrected quite a few times before on various lists and newsgroups. Oh well, I dunno if I aggravated things or what Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Good transition Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 15:33:19 -0500 (EST) > Hey, maybe it's just me, but I always thought Rhythm Section Want Ad > was a good album closer, but then again, on my tape it goes RIGHT into > SenSurround after that... it works pretty well, too. At the end of > RSWA, it's going "Here's the reason why... why... whyyyyyyy (Dun)" > Then SenSurround starts immediately. Oh well. Try it sometime. I agree with you that RSWA is a great album ender, I was just listening to this CD last night and besides it being one of the most awesome songs they have ever written, it does end fantastically. I think they mention a band called MDC in it, anyone know who this is? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 13:17:04 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Flan's CD Club At 09:51 PM 2/18/96 UT, you wrote: >Does anybody have the adresss or details on joining Flan's CD club? I read >about a year or two ago, and forgot to write down the details. Now that I have >some spare $$ to blow, I would like to join. > I'd also like to know if when you order all of the back years for $120 if you also get the T-Shirts for those years. Does anyone know?? ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:53:12 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Good transition > a band called MDC in it, anyone know who this is? An east coast hardcore band, Millions of Dead Cops. - RS ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:04:21 -0500 Subject: Stoners? JaN+sChMAn here In school today I had a song stuck in my head. A guy named Lawrence ( yes, Lawrence ) asked me if it was TMBG. Of course it was. ( All of the Misc. T. album to be exact ) I asked him if he listened to them and he said, " No, I don't listen to stoner music. " I'm not on drugs and never will be. I asked him what he did listen to and he said rap, so that's just as bad. Well, I haven't been a TMBG fan long ( 3 months ), and I was wondering if J&J are stoners. Curious, JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:07:07 -0500 Subject: It was cool Hi guys & gals I got the tape player to play the backwards message on I'll Sink Manhattan. It was this dude saying " We love you guys " or something. I'm trying Strawberry Fields by The Beatles tonight. JaN+sChMAn, who is thankful for the directions from Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:31:02 -0600 (CST) From: Chuck Woolery Oh, it's infectious! I saw a girl today in a TMBG shirt, when I was on my way to sleep through psychology. It was the orange/pearl shirt again, and I said "I like your shirt!" And she said "Thanks!" OH, there is love in the world once more! -jenny, who has renewed faith in the human race. or something like that. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ "My one regret in life is that I am not someone else..." - Woody Allen Visit the new and vastly uninproved Home Page-a-go-go! http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: lyrics Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 17:33:45 18000 > > On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > Just a bit of trivial trivia...which artist originally sang the lyric > > > "Quit myyyy....job down at the car wash, didn't have to write no one a > > > goodbye note!" and for extra bonus points, what was the title of the song > > > it was used in?? > > > > Why, I believe that artist's name was John Flansburgh, in the > > song "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head." Correct me if I'm wrong. > > Tom, please tell me that you were being sarcastic. Of course it was John > Flansburgh that sang that lyric in "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet > Head". The question that I was asking was who sang it BEFORE TMBG used > it in Their song. Maybe you misunderstood the question. In actual fact, > it was Elvis Presley...that's right, The King, in a song called "Guitar > Man". It's the first line of the song and it went something like "quit > my job down at the carwash didn't leave my mom a goodbye note..." It > seems TMBG uses quite a few Elvis lyrics including "this good luck charm > hangin' of o' my arm..." which was...um...borrowed from Presley's tune > "Good Luck Charm". Anyway...that's what I was REALLY asking. > > Alex > Yep, that was sarcasm all right! hard to tell over the cpu, isn't it?! -- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:52:21 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG Mailing List Page For those wondering, the TMBG mailing list page has moved to: http://www.tmbg.org/tmbg-list/ +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: tmbg shirts Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:56:24 -0500 (EST) > > Oh, it's infectious! I saw a girl today in a TMBG shirt, when I was on > my way to sleep through psychology. It was the orange/pearl shirt again, > and I said "I like your shirt!" And she said "Thanks!" OH, there is > love in the world once more! > You sure have a lot of TMBG fans down there in Texas, the only people I know who wear their shirts at school are some friends I've been to concerts with and this one other guyI saw once... Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:00:54 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Stoners? >Well, I haven't been a TMBG fan long ( 3 months ), and I was wondering if J&J >are stoners. We've had this conversation before, and I believe the consensus was as follows: Probably no, but if they are we don't care and don't want to know. Best to let sleeping threads lie. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:59:40 -0500 Subject: Re: It was cool that message that was backwards on "I'll Sink Manhatten" is actually yet another recording from John & John's answering machine. it was the NYC police force (maybe the chief? i'm not sure) just calling up to say "We love you guys!" awwwww....how nice....! Llama grrl ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:38:05 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Stoners? > > Well, I haven't been a TMBG fan long ( 3 months ), and I was wondering if J&J > are stoners. > > Curious, JaN+sChMAn > No, they aren't. In fact, their idea of a high is a caffeine rush. Sorry if this ruins Lawrence's listening styles.......... rappers get stoned just as often as any other genre, except maybe christian music..... :) Luv to you, 'Nette ************************************************************ "I wish I had gotten to know her/ before I fell in love" *******************They*Might*Be*Giants,*"Out of Jail"****** Jeanette Frost * frost@trenton.edu * Trenton State College ************************************************************ "Gee, Brain, this is better than a DuckTales episode!" ******************************Pinky,*"Opportunity*Knox"***** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:18:02 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Mercury Lounge shows Quick question... Can someone from around the NYC area tell me how I go about getting tickets to the show at the Mercury Lounge on the 21st (I think that's the right date...anyway, whatever Thursday of that week is)? I'm going to be in the area over spring break, so I have no idea how to get tickets or where this is or anything. All I know is, They'll be playing when I'm there and I might get to see my first TMBG show!!!!!! This is a very, very big thing. So anyway, is there a number I can call or something? Thank you ever so much in advance. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:59:32 -0500 Subject: Re: squirt tv >hello, kids. I was watching mtv last night (so sue me,) when a >commercial for something called "Squirt TV" popped up. They had "Minimum >Wage" playing in the background (you can tell if you squint.) Therefore, >it may automatically be semi-cool, on that same level of cool something >like Sandblast would get for playing "Snail Shell." But that's ok, >because our Johns need all the exposure they can get. After all, how else >will we have a peace-loving, They-listening world? That is great news! I saw Squirt TV as a one-time only special on Comedy Central. It's basically a local cable show run by a kid (I forget his name, but he's about 16, though he looks even younger) who's obviously a big TMBG fan. On the special he played the "Istanbul" video and had a John Henry poster on his wall. I'd hear rumors that MTV might pick it up, but this is the first confirmation I'd heard. Could this mean (finally) TMBG may get some almost regular airplay on MTV (gasp!)? In other news, according to a special entertainment e-zine I get vial aol, the Kids in the Hall movie soundtrack (reportedly with a new TMBG song called "Spiralling Shapes" or something) is scheduled to come out February 27. Life just gets better and better! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:28:07 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Evanston Show Ok kids, here's some info for the March 30th show in Wildcat land... tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:30 CST, at the North box office. phone number= 847-491-2305. Tix are $13.00. It's in a gym, all ages, and I don't know who the opening act might be... No Ticketmaster on this one...so call the box office. Enjoy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 21:16:45 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (The Man Who Sweeps The Room) Subject: I'll ask again.... I've already asked, but, in the heat of many new shows appearing, I'm wondering in there's any chance TMBG might make it down to the south soon. I'm in Chapel Hill, NC. Anyone know? ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 21:27:45 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (The Man Who Sweeps The Room) Subject: Transitions I think RSWA is a better trasition song than it is an album ending song. The ending reminds a lot of the ending of Purple Toupee and I keep expecting to hear Where Your Eyes Don't Go (I think--is that right?). For that matter, Kiss Me Son of God would be a perfect ending song, if I didn't have WDTSS right after it on the tape. Oh well. I really doubt J & J are stoners. It really seems to go against their "they file us under alternative but we really aren't" attitude. Actually, Classical and TMBG are about the only music that I'd sanely listen to that isn't stoner music. Oh well. Stoners listen to everything. I'll shut up about that now. Spiraling Shape is the new song. It had better be on Freaksicle, as with SenSurround. I'm not buying an album for one song. (I did that with Weezer. I'll stop there.) ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:29:41 -0500 Subject: Re: Transitions In a message dated 96-02-20 21:37:46 EST, you write: >I think RSWA is a better trasition song than it is an album ending song. >The ending reminds a lot of the ending of Purple Toupee and I keep >expecting to hear Where Your Eyes Don't Go (I think--is that right?). For >that matter, Kiss Me Son of God would be a perfect ending song, if I didn't >have WDTSS right after it on the tape. Oh well. > The next after Purple Toupee (4) is Cage and Aquarium (5), but I can see how people would skip over it to get to Where Your Eyes Don't Go (6), but then all of this is trivial and unimportant me who is foolish enough to write a paper on procrastination while procrastinating the writing of another paper ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:33:42 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Transitions >Spiraling Shape is the new song. It had better be on Freaksicle, as with >SenSurround. Ack .. Freaksicle? Would someone please fill me in on this.. first I hear that it is coming out .. then it isn't.. then again maybe it is.. then isn't.. and now this post seems to point to it actually coming out again.. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN PHRICKIN PHREAKSICLE!!!.. Signed, Slightly confused in Worcester.. (A.K.A. Wilbz) __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:36:43 -0500 Subject: What a moron is I ! In a message dated 96-02-19 20:39:19 EST, Tracy writes: > Your friendly neighborhood superhero, > Tracy with yuou daily > home astrology report OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I always thought it was homo-strology report! Stupid idiot! It always sounded weird to me 'cause I know Their not gay but that guy sounds kind-of fruity. God, I must be the dumbest person alive! Well there's my contribution for the misunderstood lyrics thread. The Moron, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:36:41 -0500 Subject: Re: No Subject How come I keep getting these digest contents pages that seem to have no point, say No Subject, and start-off by telling me that some mail hasn't been delivered? No Subject, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:46:39 -0500 Subject: lyrics? O.K., in A.K.A. Driver it says... "Big hand's on 1:20, little hand's on __________?" Fill in the blank. It sounds like "eat" to me but I figured I'd see what ya'll thought. Also, I was looking in the liner notes and saw that Graham Maby played bass for No One Knows My Plan and A Self Called Nowhere. Never noticed that before and thought I'd pass it on to anyone else who only reads that stuff the first time you listen to the album. I want a shoehorn, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:46:43 -0500 Subject: The Vision In a message dated 96-02-19 17:18:05 EST, you write: >Appaarently, NU only paid TMBG $12,500 for the show...SO...how about we >all concentrate our funds and have Them play a private show for all list >members? We can hold it somewhere in a open field in Oklahoma...where we >can all roam naked... I like it, I like it. Except for the naked part. I'd be willing to drive forever to hang out with yous guys. We could arrive on Saturday, listen to Them play an all-out jam session and then camp-out with Them over-night and head out in the morning. I would pick-up some people on the way and we could sing-along all the way to Oklahoma! It would be sooooooo cool! And then my alarm clock goes off. That's my new dream, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 22:29:04 PST From: asturm Subject: How do I get Chicago Tickets??? Anyone know how I get tickets for the Chicago Show is it TicketMaster Or is their another Number I can call to get tickets??? Please e-mail me if you know... RYaN sTUrm ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:36:59 -0500 Subject: Re: squirt tv In a message dated 96-02-20 11:35:41 EST, jenny writes: >hello, kids. I was watching mtv last night (so sue me,) when a >commercial for something called "Squirt TV" popped up. They had "Minimum >Wage" playing in the background (you can tell if you squint.) Therefore, >it may automatically be semi-cool, on that same level of cool something >like Sandblast would get for playing "Snail Shell." But that's ok, >because our Johns need all the exposure they can get. After all, how else >will we have a peace-loving, They-listening world? > >-jenny, who is _NOT_ clinically insane, despite what you may think.... Yeah, that kid who hosts Squirt TV has a John Henry poster in his room and he played the real Istanbul video (although the Tiny Toons version is what introduced me to Them) and I thought that that was the coolest. So, is he having some sort of special? He might just show a TMBG video so rev your VCRs! Hovering in an anti-clockwise place where your eyes don't go, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:37:00 -0500 Subject: Re: Stoners? On Feb.20 Jantschman wrote: >In school today I had a song stuck in my head. >A guy named Lawrence ( yes, Lawrence ) asked me if it was TMBG. >Of course it was. ( All of the Misc. T. album to be exact ) >I asked him if he listened to them and he said, >" No, I don't listen to stoner music. " >I'm not on drugs and never will be. >I asked him what he did listen to and he said rap, so that's just as bad. >Well, I haven't been a TMBG fan long ( 3 months ), and I was wondering if J&J >are stoners. >Curious, JaN+sChMAn I'm pretty sure They frown upon that kind of behavior. Stay away from the drugs, man. I'm a month away from 16 and I've never touched the stuff (dispite morons shoving it in my face) and I don't need to. Good God, I think most of us on the list would sky-rocket past the limits of weird if we did touch it. Stick with Them no matter what people say and They won't ever let you down (unless you count the whole mail-order fiasco and the Super-fueled Freaksicle thing). Does anyone know if it's actually -sicle or -cycle? Anyway, whenever people tell me that the stuff I'm singing is freakish, I just follow them around singing until THEY have the song stuck in their head too, and then I make them sing-along. Did I have a point? Oh, yeah, drugs = bad, TMBG = good! Trying to go straight-edge, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:18:08 -0600 From: Kwisatz Haderach Subject: Re: lyrics? >O.K., in A.K.A. Driver it says... "Big hand's on 1:20, little hand's on >__________?" Fill in the blank. It sounds like "eat" to me but I figured I'd >see what ya'll thought. Also, I was looking in the liner notes and saw that >Graham Maby played bass for No One Knows My Plan and A Self Called Nowhere. >Never noticed that before and thought I'd pass it on to anyone else who only >reads that stuff the first time you listen to the album. after falling into a similar belief, one night i had a vision, where i realized the big hand is actually the spedometer, and the little hand is the gas needle... paul ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 00:11:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: Stoners? On Tue, 20 Feb 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > JaN+sChMAn here > > In school today I had a song stuck in my head. > > A guy named Lawrence ( yes, Lawrence ) asked me if it was TMBG. > > Of course it was. ( All of the Misc. T. album to be exact ) > > I asked him if he listened to them and he said, > > " No, I don't listen to stoner music. " > > I'm not on drugs and never will be. > > I asked him what he did listen to and he said rap, so that's just as bad. > > Well, I haven't been a TMBG fan long ( 3 months ), and I was wondering if J&J > are stoners. > > Curious, JaN+sChMAn > hahahahaha.....Sorry..that's the funniest thing I've ever heard...No.. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:54:47 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: My Point (and I did have one) Formerly Road Missing To Berlin... At 2:35 pm 2/20/96, BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: >I DON'T BELIEVE THEY DID. HOWEVER, IF YOU LOOK IN MR. ME, THEY HAVE AN >EXTRA VERSE THERE TO. "THESE" SAY THE JOHNS," ARE JUST ALTERNATE LYRICS >THAT WE ADDED TO GIVE A HIGHER LISTENING EXPERIENCE." > BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK Finally, someone who saw past my embarrassing faux pas! I never noticed missing lyrics in "Mr. Me," and since some jerk stole my copy, I can't look it up. But, I noticed that one of the lyrics in "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair," the one that begins, "Mr. Horrible, Mr. Horrible, We're not done with you yet Mr. Horrible..." is not printed at all. I'm having a hard time believing that this was done for an alternative listening experience (maybe because I have a hard time imagining that song without that verse...) Same with the relatively unintelligible bit in the middle of "Letterbox." I'm wondering whether all this was done with a hidden reason, or if their editor just really sucks... Should I start badgering Helene Silverman and Barbara Lipp (the designers) for their carelessness, or were the Johns behind this? See, I did have a point! Oh, and to continue the very ghastly thread of misheard lyrics, I just noticed that until I was looking over my lyric sheet just now, I thought that in "Hot Cha" they were singing, "Drink and cook the prodigal son/fondued folks for everybody..." ________________ Jenna Davis, the only bee in your bonnet. jenna@onramp.net "We all have a dark side to say the least, and dealing in death is the nature of the beast..." -Pink Floyd ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 01:52:04 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Re: lyrics? > O.K., in A.K.A. Driver it says... "Big hand's on 1:20, little hand's on > __________?" Fill in the blank. It sounds like "eat" to me but I figured I'd > see what ya'll thought. Also, I was looking in the liner notes and saw that > Graham Maby played bass for No One Knows My Plan and A Self Called Nowhere. > Never noticed that before and thought I'd pass it on to anyone else who only > reads that stuff the first time you listen to the album. > I want a shoehorn, > Brother JohnBeezus > I always thought it was "big hand on 120" as in 120 miles per hour, and "little hand on e" as in empty. By the way, if They didn't print the words to "AKA driver" because Nyquil is a product name, why did were They able to print "Toys (backwards R) Us" in "Toddler Hiway"? BTW, about all age shows: I saw TMBG at the 9:30 club in D.C., which is a bar. They make you show I.D. at the door and stamp your hand if you're going to drink. This makes sense to me; it really bothers me that other clubs (that I know of) can't do this. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 02:10:05 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: chess piece face:compliment? I know this hasn't been discussed in a while, but i've been away... Let's do this scientifically. Pawn:Pawns don't have much of a face, but it would be fairly unpleasant to be a pawn, so INSULT Knight:Well, this would imply that you have a horselike face, which is not really a compliment, so INSULT Bishop:Bishops are fairly high ranking religious figures, so COMPLIMENT, unless you're not Christian, like most of the world. Rook:Well, they don't have a face either. I'm not really sure what category this fits into. Queen:Well, the queen is probably the best piece, meaning the most powerful piece, so COMPLIMENT. King:The king isn't a particularly useful piece, but if your king dies, you lose, so it's an important piece, COMPLIMENT. Well, I really don't know too much about chess, so don't trust my judgement, but Chess piece face seems to be a compliment. Also, does anyone know who Alice is in "Why Must I Be Sad"? I can only think of two Alices, Alice in Chains and Alice Cooper, neither of them likely TMBG song subjects, who are hes (he's?), but the "he" in the song mught not be Alice. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 02:38:34 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: lyrics? > By the way, if They didn't print the >words to "AKA driver" because Nyquil is a product name, why did were They >able to print "Toys (backwards R) Us" in "Toddler Hiway"? The story that I heard was that Nyquil somehow actively complained about the printing of the lyrics to the song.. whereas apparently Toys 'R Us didn't seem to care. I don't understand however, why Nyquil could have any kind of a problem with it.. it would almost seem the perfect way to put in subliminal messages to purchase their product.. anyways I think I'll stop rambling now.. Bored in Worcester __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-52 *****************************