Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 54 Friday, 23 February 1996 Today's Topics: Hmmmmmmm...... John Henry. Just opining. more fun confused lyrics Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-53 Re: John Henry. Just opining. John Henry. Just opining. Re: John Henry. Just opining. Re: running naked or something Returned mail: User unknown Re: My evil twin Oh so many things for me to wonder...I like grape jelly... :) btw... Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma John Henry opining II traffic violations with the Johns.... Good to meet you This Oklahoma Thing Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma CAPS... Re: running naked or something Unrelated things CAPS... Re: John Henry. Just opining. Re: John Henry. Just opining. Re: My evil twin Re: CAPS... Public Apology Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma Netiquette slogans etc Re: running naked or something Re: Netiquette Mercury Lounge JH, Apollo 18, Caps, etc. chess piece face:compliment or insult? Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma Re: Good to meet you Re: running naked or something TMBG out o' nowhere Flesh Fest! Lotsa Stuff my opinion of John Henry missed lyrics a-go-go, etc. another slogan slogan ideas Re: Netiquette Re: JH, Apollo 18, Caps, etc. Re: slogan ideas Re: slogan ideas Re: TMBG out o' nowhere Re: slogan ideas Re: My evil twin Re: slogan ideas Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma Re: Unrelated things Re: My evil twin Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:02:01 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Hmmmmmmm...... Good Morning! Does anyone know who the president is mentioned in "My evil twin"?? "Who cut the arm of the voodoo doll/ that resembles a Republican president from long ago" grd ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:23:32 -0500 From: cn3765@coastalnet.com (Williams) Subject: John Henry. Just opining. Greetings ever e-body! I have been out here listening at the door for 2 months now... I've generally enjoyed myself much and said little. I'm in New Bern, NC and moving to Erie, PA. Anybody out there in either of my vicinities? I hope what I have to say won't make me unpopular - won't brand me an outcast. I'm not going to complain about the content of the page... I about Ana and wheat and favorite songs and nudity and Mono Puff. I'm here for fun, info, and idle chit chat. However, I have to say something you will probably like even less than a complaint about Ms. Ng's whereabouts. It is, however, just an observation. [gasp, gasp] A fresh paragraph to calm my nerves. Here goes. I can't help but feel that "John Henry" is... um... not quite up to the Johns' previous standards. The melodies are less interesting and addictive and the lyrics don't quite have that clever "twist and boggle" effect on me. I've just been so utterly amazed at every other TMBG release that I couldn't help but be just disappointed. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any interesting songs... there definitely are (Sleeping In The Flowers and I Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like their older albums were masterpieces. I'm all for the "full band" approach - and I like the new (...have been joined by...) members. I just don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? I haven't been losing any sleep over this. I like the album. I just wonder if you guys'll let me live now. Do not forsake me my indolent friends... for I am Pete P.S. Sorry about the "indolent" thing. I'm sure you are all growing at the ordinary rate. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ See "Bardd Herebeorg" >>> "http://www2.coastalnet.com/~cn3765/index.html" "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." -- J.R.R. Tolkien *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- *-------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:28:00 -500 (EST) Subject: more fun confused lyrics The thread of "Big hand's on 120, little hand's on E" thread reminded me of my biggest lyrical error: Big Head Todd one-twenty, little hand on tea thank you, and goodnight. -mattman ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:33:42 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-53 Organization: Rollins College I guess many people missed this when I posted it a few days ago, so here it goes again, with the important stuff noted: From the *Orlando Weekly*, 2/15-2/21, 1996: John Linnel... will unleash House of Mayors, a themed work about *Mayors of New Your k City* [not presidents], and Flansburgh will issue a full-length album of his side band, *Mono Puff*. The article was about Hello... so I dunno if this is all through Hello or not. It was kinda vague.... Anyway, hope you read it this time. :) Destin http://hound.rollins.edu/personal/~dberthelot/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:53:05 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: John Henry. Just opining. You know, it's weird, i've been thinking of strting a thread to this effect for a while now...it would've been more along the lines of "which do you prefer, earlier or newer stuff?" Not to say i don't like JH, which I do, i just much prefer Their older stuff...the funny thing is that on the Power of DAS tape, a lot of the "original" versions of the JH songs are really quite different than what actually came out on the album...somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but were the "revised" versions due to a producer's opinions...? The one that first comes to mind is sleeping in the flowers, which is drastically different....any opinions on any of this...? so don't feel bad, i was having the same kinds of thoughts...having heard new songs, like Spiralling Shape at the RIT show, though, gives me much hope for Their future! --Fran AKA The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: John Henry. Just opining. Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:03:36 -0500 (EST) > [gasp, gasp] A fresh paragraph to calm my nerves. Here goes. I can't help > but feel that "John Henry" is... um... not quite up to the Johns' previous > standards. The melodies are less interesting and addictive and the lyrics > don't quite have that clever "twist and boggle" effect on me. I've just been While I do disagree and love this album (it's been very enjoyable and up to par, although a somewhat different album than past ones) I can see where you are coming from. The addition to full time bass and drum players as well as horn players maybe be the cause of your dislike, possibly because it is no longer the intimate John-and-John-TMBG,but all of these other guys thrown in. It reminds me of when I lent John Henry to a friend of mine (who only had Flood and A18) and he said that he really didn't like it as much. They seem to have moved a bit more to a rock/slightly more mainstreamish, dare I say!?, type of sound, away from the Boat of Car and Fingertips -type wackiness. > so utterly amazed at every other TMBG release that I couldn't help but be > just disappointed. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any > interesting songs... there definitely are (Sleeping In The Flowers and I > Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a > masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like Ahh yes it'll be very hard to top Apollo 18 since that is their masterpiece album. > their older albums were masterpieces. I'm all for the "full band" > approach - and I like the new (...have been joined by...) members. I just me too, Graham and Brian are very cool and the horns are wonderful. > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? Is this a bit of a cut on It's not My Birthday? I would probably say that INMB is better than all of these songs listed with the possible exception of Turn Around. Actually, INMB is possibly the best single they ever had, it shoulda been on an album, of course they have so many good b-sides that there are many that should be on albums (sorta like the and improved-to-the-Nth-degree Hotel Detective. This song (the original HD) was probably my least liked Johns song, but the new one '94 edition is beginning to be one of my all time favs. But getting back to JH, basically as I have stated in the past, the album doesn't flow from song to song as well as other albums, and the sound has changed somewhat but I still think it is a superb album. Signing off, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:30:30 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: John Henry. Just opining. On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Williams wrote: > [gasp, gasp] A fresh paragraph to calm my nerves. Here goes. I can't help > but feel that "John Henry" is... um... not quite up to the Johns' previous > standards. The melodies are less interesting and addictive and the lyrics > don't quite have that clever "twist and boggle" effect on me. I've just been > so utterly amazed at every other TMBG release that I couldn't help but be > just disappointed. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any > interesting songs... there definitely are (Sleeping In The Flowers and I > Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a > masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like > their older albums were masterpieces. I'm all for the "full band" > approach - and I like the new (...have been joined by...) members. I just > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? BLASPHEMY!!!!!! BURN IN HELL, DEVIL CHILD!!! Actually, I'm afraid I just can't agree with you. In my opinion, John Henry is...well I can't say Their best album, 'cause it's hard for me to choose one album over another...they're all so great, but John Henry is the only album on which I absolutely love every single song. On the other albums there's always one tune that I like a little less than the rest, (I won't mention which ones, for fear of reprisals and letter bombs), but every song on John Henry just seems to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Songs like "No One Knows My Plan", "Extra Savior Faire" and "Dirt Bike" (what's better than the guitar solo in Dirt Bike??? Love that wawa pedal), are just as good if not a step above Their earlier stuff. The horn section adds a fullness to the sound and allows for more interesting, and as you put it "addictive" melodies, "Sleeping in the Flowers" and "Thermostat" to name just a few. I've never heard the guitar (the instrument, not the song) sound quite as good on any other album. As an aside, the producer of John Henry also produced the XTC album Oranges and Lemons, a fantastic album on which the guitar sound is very similar. If you haven't heard Oranges and Lemons, I suggest you find it as soon as possible...you will be amazed. Never-the-less, about John Henry, you are entitled to your own opinion, but it just so happens that your opinion is wrong. I can only suggest listening to the album again and again, and maybe one day you'll see the light. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:31:41 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: running naked or something On Wed, 21 Feb 1996 grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu wrote: > I believe there was discussion about a mass mailing list funded They > concert in a field in (oklahoma?) somewhere, and this entailed > running about in the nude, letting it all hang out for John and John > to see. Tracy's Top Ten Reasons Why That is Very Scary: > 10. Finding out RuPaul is a big They fan...ahem > 9. Wheat up your butt > 8. Trumpet players laugh so hard they mess up "No One Knows My Plan" > 7. Can't wear funky TMBG tshirts that never came from newsletter order > 6. Jeanette is too ashamed of her I Love the New Kids tattoo > 5. A little drafty when the "wind comes right behind the ra-ain" > 4. Strange TMBG roadies might decide to join in *shiver* > 3. Too distracted by flesh to listen to the Johns > 2. Show up naked and find out it's all a big joke on Candid Camera > How's this for the number one reason: 1) Paper cuts from tall grass! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:39:58 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Returned mail: User unknown Some friends of mine and myself were just dicussing the same thing concerning JH. One thing about the older albums is that we've all heard them over and over again. And still, we find something new that we've missed before, making that particular album even better. I think the same thing has to occurr for JH. More time has to go by, as well as more discussions by Their fans. Or maybe I'm just stupid. grd ------------------------------ From: "Jeremy J. Miner" Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:33:23 +0000 Subject: Re: My evil twin I don't think which republican president it was is important. They might have just used the lyric because it flowed well, and perhaps They were frustrated with the republicans at the time They wrote the song. =============================================================== Jeremy Miner thx1138@alinc.com http://www.alinc.com/~thx1138 *--------------------------------------------------------------- "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." -- John Gilmore =============================================================== ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:42:13 E Subject: Oh so many things for me to wonder...I like grape jelly... Ok, hope at least one of you got the Mixed Nuts joke up there. Anyway. Thanks to all for the top ten list completion :) Re: John Henry. Now when I think of my favorite TMBG album, I usually say Lincoln, but I've been longing for Flood just because someone borrowed it and didn't give it back and I haven't listened to it for *months!* But I really don't think I could say that any one is better or worse than the others. When I first got JH I was a bit intimidated by the fuller sound, like whoa there's this whole BAND thing going on now! But I like it. I think it's kind of different but not so changed that I can't respect Them anymore or anything. People talk about REM and say that Monster is more like their old stuff (which I disagree with) and nothing like their sort of more recent stuff (Out of Time, Automatic)...I see TMBG doing a similar sort of thing...kind of moving to a different flow and different feeling with each album. Maybe JH's flow is not for you. I mean They're not gonna reproduce songs that sound EXACTLY like Don't Let's Start or anything else you might love to death. Everyone has a TMBG song that just kind of annoys them, or they're not fond of (Like Alex, I don't want to be lynched so I won't mention mine) but you admit you like some songs on JH...I agree with the philosophy of just keep listening, and if you don't love it, at least it'll grow on you. Now that I've pontificated for the day, I had another remark on something but I can't recall..oh well. Sorry for the sort of unclear analogy to REM I like bands with initials in title. Tracy was a hotel detective, but now she's gotten promoted... Wooo hooo...can't wait for the giant oklahoma flesh fest! ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:05:30 E Subject: :) Because I love you all so: Tracy's Top Ten Rumors on the Mailing List :) 10. It's a law that we all have to change our names to "John" 9. Linnell's coming out with an album of songs about players in the OJ trial 8. All the songs on John Henry were sang by Milli Vanilli 7. The lady talking on Misc T is actually Leo's mom 6. Ana Ng is from Scranton 5. John and John's real names are "Dweezil" and "Ralph" 4. Lawrence was right and we're all trippin' 3. The words to Youth Culture actually are "Orange sandwich bit my dog" and the "I don't understand..." lyrics are like those non-included verses of Letterbox and Someone Keeps...Chair 2. Flesh Fest '96 might not occur! And the number one rumor from the tmbg mailing list: 1. Toys "backwards R" Us reads our messages, and they're pissed! Thank you, you've been a lovely audience... my friends are going on the David Letterman show tonight so be on the lookout for a bunch of screaming people who look like they might go to Marywood. :) I stayed home from the trip so I didn't miss any classes...how geeky is that?? :) All Tracy left behind was an unloaded gun ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:09:05 E Subject: btw... to Raoul-flesh-fest-originator and anyone who might wonder: we need no trucks! no equipment! Just John & John standing on a picnic table and a lot of naked people. Trust me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:33:54 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma > well, St. Louis did it again... sold out a TMBG show in a day & a half. > and I didn't get to get tickets!!! AGHGGHGG so PLEASE if you have ANY > HEART (or information on getting them) peeeez send me some info, or sell > me a ticket or more if you can get some! c'mon, do you REALLY need a > ticket for your b'ankey? I know you're holding out on me. I love you. I love you too...you can get tickets from North Shore Tickets in Chicago for the paltry sum of $60.00 per tick. Another Concert announcement--May 18--University of Chicago. No further details available. Allright folks, if the our dream of an Oklahoma Flesh Fest is to come true, I need ideas for flyers and catchy slogans... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:45:26 -0500 From: cn3765@coastalnet.com (Williams) Subject: John Henry opining II Hello again, everybody! I am yet very very optimistic about the future of the band. I love the They. I think my words indicated that. Thanks (almost) everybody, for letting me voice my opinion. And to Alex, who said "Burn in hell, devil child!" Uh, thanks. Pleasure being on the list with you. When you turn around to look, he's gone behind you. Anybody in the Erie or Pittsburgh areas? Pete ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ See "Bardd Herebeorg" >>> "http://www2.coastalnet.com/~cn3765/index.html" "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." -- J.R.R. Tolkien *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- *-------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:49:01 -0500 (EST) From: Kathy Lawrence Subject: traffic violations with the Johns.... Hey all, this is my first attempt to write to the list so please bear with me. I just had to write because this afternoon on my way home from school, Istanbul came on the radio, and because I was so overjoyed to hear Them on the radio, I didn't notice the traffic light that changed from a fine color of yellow to red as I cruised through. The cop behind me did, though. I wasn't so pissed that I got pulled over, the fact that I had to turn the radio down upset me more. Oh well. Long story short, I played the blonde, and told the nice police officer that I was in a rush to get to a bathroom. He let me leave with a warning to pay attention and slow down. Foolish mortal. The same thing happened to a friend when G Love and the Special Sauce was on the radio, but she got the ticket. Kathy, she of the non-existant sig box. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:04:06 -0500 (EST) From: Nola Weaver Subject: Good to meet you Hello all! My name is Nola and I have just started getting this list a week ago and I already feel a kinship. It's good to know that my friends and I are not the only psycho johnandjohn fans in the world. I have a few things to address: To Brother JohnBeezus (I keep wanting to put BeJesus): I too was at the 9:30 club show in DC on the 17th. Please do not tell me you are seven feet tall with a shiny white bald pointy head. If you are, you got right in front of my shorty 5 foot two self, so some girls and I smashed a piece of gum in your shirt. But if that's not you, disregard this. That show was crazy. I don't know if it's just me, but seeing TMBG put me in a happy and carefree spirit. I like to dance and enjoy the music without fearing for my life. Unfortunately, there were some evil people who neede to slam their drunken bodies into each other during EVERY SINGLE SONG! This I did not enjoy. I had to use mild violence to keep large men from crushing me. A word to the wise: when going to a show in a club-like setting, please have a group meditation session beforehand. To Grazioli: I too first experienced TMBG on Tiny Toons. I am proud to admit it. I have loved them unconditionally for the five years since. It's happy to meet someone with a similar TMBG history. And finally, I just want to share a recent discovery. I am taking a Sociology course this semester (I go to Towson State University in Maryland). I was perusing my textbook, and at the introduction of each chapter there is a painting that is "sociologically relevant". One of them was James Ensor, and the painting was called "L'Intrique" (1890) Isn't that a beautiful? I was a group of many kinds of people with various facial expressions. The colors and everything were very pretty, and some of the people were sort of cartoon-like, wearing masks, etc. Appreciate the man. Sorry for taking up so much, I wonder if all will be posted. Keep on keepin' on.-----Nola "I should have a call-in show" Weaver ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:06:37 -0600 (CST) Subject: This Oklahoma Thing I don't understand where this idea for a big, naked show in the middle of Oklahoma came from, but as a disgrunteled OK resident(actually I'm from Tulsa, which is much superior to most of the rest of the state), I know that it will be nearly impossible to find enough Oklahomans to make it work; plus, most will be too ugly to be allowed to run amuck without clothes. If, however, such a concert where held in Tulsa, which is a major city near the Arkansas and Kansas border, you have a chance. Tulsa almost sold out a They concert(one of blessed few) a couple of years ago. If you really want a big field, Tulsa even has a great outdoor concert area about as large as Southpark Meadows in Austin, sans the slope. Besides, we Tulsa fans are starving for some quality They stuff. We don't even have any imports, shirts, radio station that play Them, or anything. I have meet all of one person that has a single, the Istanbul one with James K. Polk on it. Camelot and Record Time didn't even carry WDTSS, I had to get that at Best Buy. Enough of my whining... Chris, who feels too much like Person-man "I'll never know what you'll find in your letter box tomorrow" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:23:01 -0600 (CST) From: Annie Hall Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > > Allright folks, if the our dream of an Oklahoma Flesh Fest is to come > true, I need ideas for flyers and catchy slogans... > You mean, you don't think just sticking the word "flesh" everywhere isn't advertisment enough? I think it would work...but then, I'm weird. -jenny, who's got a friend in a band named "fleshtug." could they be the opening act? @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ "My one regret in life is that I am not someone else..." - Woody Allen Visit the new and vastly uninproved Home Page-a-go-go! http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:31:03 -0400 (EDT) Subject: CAPS... HI ALL, I'VE GOTTEN ALOT OF INQUERIES ON WHY I USE ALL CAPITALS. THE FIRST IS THAT EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT'S ME. THE MOST IMPORTENT ONE IS THAT THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, WHICH IS SLIGHTLY MORE CORRECT THEN SOMEONE TYPEING LIKE THIS: hi, i'm a tadger incompetent and would like you to bear my ignorence of the shift key with good humor. I ALSO DO ALOT OF BASIC PROGRAMMING ON A COMPUTER THAT DOESN'T ACCEPT COMMANDS IN LOWERCASE. I KNOW I AM NOT MAKING MANY FRIENDS TODAY, BUT UNTIL EVERYONE LEARNS HOW TO TYPE CORECTALLY, I SHALL HAVE TO CONTINUE TYPING IN CAPS. THOUGH I MUST SAY THAT NEARLY ALL GIANTS FANS SEEM TO HAVE GRASPED THE CONCEPT OF SHIFT AT THE BEGINING OF A SENTENCE, I, OR A PROPER NAME. I JUST HAD TO GET ALL THIS OFF MY CHEST. THANKS FOR THE TIME AND THE PROVERBIAL COUCH. :> :) _________________________________________________________________________ "Good God", said Arther, "it looks just like the sea front at Southend." "Hell, I'm relieved to hear you say that," said Ford. "Why?" "Because I thought I must be going mad." "Perhaps you are. Perhaps you only thought I said it." Ford thought about this. "Well, did you say it or didn't you?" he asked. "I think so," said Arther. "Well, perhaps we're both going mad." "Yes," said Arther, "we'd be mad, all things considered, to think this was Southend." "Well, do you think this is Southend?" "Oh yes." "So do I." "Therefore we must be mad." "Nice day for it." CONVERSATION BETWEEN ARTHER DENT AND FOR PREFECT FROM "THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY" BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:37:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: running naked or something AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON IS... 1) VERICOSE VEINS. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Unrelated things Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:55:47 -0500 (EST) I find that I do not love Unrelated Things, it would be my #20 song on JH if I were to rate them in order of how I like each song. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: CAPS... Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:59:24 -0500 (EST) > > HI ALL, > I'VE GOTTEN ALOT OF INQUERIES ON WHY I USE ALL CAPITALS. THE FIRST > IS THAT EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT'S ME. THE MOST IMPORTENT ONE IS THAT > THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE > CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, > WHICH IS SLIGHTLY MORE CORRECT THEN SOMEONE TYPEING LIKE THIS: hi, > i'm a tadger incompetent and would like you to bear my ignorence of > the shift key with good humor. I ALSO DO ALOT OF BASIC PROGRAMMING ON > A COMPUTER THAT DOESN'T ACCEPT COMMANDS IN LOWERCASE. I KNOW I AM NOT > MAKING MANY FRIENDS TODAY, BUT UNTIL EVERYONE LEARNS HOW TO TYPE > CORECTALLY, I SHALL HAVE TO CONTINUE TYPING IN CAPS. THOUGH I MUST SAY > THAT NEARLY ALL GIANTS FANS SEEM TO HAVE GRASPED THE CONCEPT OF SHIFT AT > THE BEGINING OF A SENTENCE, I, OR A PROPER NAME. I JUST HAD TO GET ALL > THIS OFF MY CHEST. THANKS FOR THE TIME AND THE PROVERBIAL COUCH. I don't know whether all caps is better grammatically than all lower-case but it sure is a lot more ANNOYING!!!!!!! (I will refrain now from all caps here). And for another thing, what the hell does basic programming have to do with writing an e-mail message? Yes, the answer is nothing, so why even make this argument? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:56:55 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: John Henry. Just opining. HI FRIEND. I LIVE IN OHIO. I PERSONALLY LIKE FLOOD BEST FOR BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL, BUT OTHER THEN THAT, I THANK THE GODS FOR EVERY UTTERENCE OF EVERY SYLLABLE OF THE JOHNS. I DO AGREE THAT SUCH BEUTIFUL DITIES AS "NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" AND "WHY MUST I BE SAD" ARE DIFFERENT FROM EARLIER BEUTIES LIKE "DON'T LET'S START", "RYTHOM SECTION WANT AD", AND "NIGHT- GOWN OF THE SULLEN MOON", PERHAPS BECAUSE THEY'RE HARDER AND/OR MIXED WITH SOME DAMN COOL FIESTA TYPE MUSIC. BUT ALL THE MUSIC SHOULD BE CONSIDERED HIGHER THEN OUR PITIFUL MORTAL EXISTENCES, AND YOU SHOULD PRAY FOR FORGIVNESS, LEST YOU BE CAST TO THE PITS OF COUNTRY WITHOUT A SINGLE POLKA NOTE IN THE WORLD. BTW- IF YOU FIND A MANIAC CHANTING "THE GODS ARE WALKING THE EARTH" AND SCRAPING AT YOUR WINDOW AFTER YOU MOVE, DON'T WORRY, IT'S JUST ME. _________________________________________________________________________ "Good God", said Arther, "it looks just like the sea front at Southend." "Hell, I'm relieved to hear you say that," said Ford. "Why?" "Because I thought I must be going mad." "Perhaps you are. Perhaps you only thought I said it." Ford thought about this. "Well, did you say it or didn't you?" he asked. "I think so," said Arther. "Well, perhaps we're both going mad." "Yes," said Arther, "we'd be mad, all things considered, to think this was Southend." "Well, do you think this is Southend?" "Oh yes." "So do I." "Therefore we must be mad." "Nice day for it." CONVERSATION BETWEEN ARTHER DENT AND FOR PREFECT FROM "THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY" BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: deputy dog Subject: Re: John Henry. Just opining. Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 15:17:40 EST > > Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a > > masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like > Ahh yes it'll be very hard to top Apollo 18 since that is their > masterpiece album. i happen to think that apollo 18 is the worst tmbg album. i think, of course that it is great, but probably the least great. often when i listen to tmbg songs i think even after 1000 times 'that song was soooo cool'. often i end up listening to the same song 6 or 7 time because its so cool. when i listen to apollo, however, i tend to do that less and sometimes even get sick of it and take it out(wow). except for dinner bell. what a great tune. also, i guess i will offend some people right to the core of their ethical beliefs because i haven't touched the shift key yet. well, don't bother flaming me, because i really don't care. in fact, i don't care if you write all in caps either. i don't even care if you alternate every other letter, as long as i can read it. basically i just thought that there were probably a lot of things that would be more likely to make a person angry than his or her typing style. sorry, man. i hope you forgive me. farside ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:36:20 -0500 Subject: Re: My evil twin i think i _maybe_ remeber hearing that the republican president was referring to Nixon. i don't know why i think this, maybe it's some kind of *subliminal* message. maybe. oh, well, that's my guess anyway. Llama grrl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:30:34 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: CAPS... Some people are annoyed by really big sigs too, even if they are from the Hitchhiker's Guide! (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) On Thu, 22 Feb 1996 BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: > > HI ALL, > I'VE GOTTEN ALOT OF INQUERIES ON WHY I USE ALL CAPITALS. THE FIRST > IS THAT EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT'S ME. THE MOST IMPORTENT ONE IS THAT > THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE > CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, > WHICH IS SLIGHTLY MORE CORRECT THEN SOMEONE TYPEING LIKE THIS: hi, > i'm a tadger incompetent and would like you to bear my ignorence of > the shift key with good humor. I ALSO DO ALOT OF BASIC PROGRAMMING ON > A COMPUTER THAT DOESN'T ACCEPT COMMANDS IN LOWERCASE. I KNOW I AM NOT > MAKING MANY FRIENDS TODAY, BUT UNTIL EVERYONE LEARNS HOW TO TYPE > CORECTALLY, I SHALL HAVE TO CONTINUE TYPING IN CAPS. THOUGH I MUST SAY > THAT NEARLY ALL GIANTS FANS SEEM TO HAVE GRASPED THE CONCEPT OF SHIFT AT > THE BEGINING OF A SENTENCE, I, OR A PROPER NAME. I JUST HAD TO GET ALL > THIS OFF MY CHEST. THANKS FOR THE TIME AND THE PROVERBIAL COUCH. > :> :) > _________________________________________________________________________ > "Good God", said Arther, "it looks just like the sea front at Southend." > "Hell, I'm relieved to hear you say that," said Ford. > "Why?" > "Because I thought I must be going mad." > "Perhaps you are. Perhaps you only thought I said it." > Ford thought about this. > "Well, did you say it or didn't you?" he asked. > "I think so," said Arther. > "Well, perhaps we're both going mad." > "Yes," said Arther, "we'd be mad, all things considered, to think this > was Southend." > "Well, do you think this is Southend?" > "Oh yes." > "So do I." > "Therefore we must be mad." > "Nice day for it." > CONVERSATION BETWEEN ARTHER DENT AND FOR PREFECT > FROM "THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO > THE GALAXY" > BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 16:03:24 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Public Apology This is a public apology to Williams (I'm sorry I don't know your full name, 'cause I erased your message before reading it) regarding his comments on John Henry. When I said "Burn in Hell, Devil Child" I was being sarcastic...I know it's hard to tell when the sarcasm is binary. Never-the-less, no harm was intended and it was said in light-hearted tones (again, difficult to perceive over a computer screen). I am sorry, and I hope I won't be banished from the mailing list forever, and be forced to get all my TMBG news through my copy of the newsletter (which is apparently somewhere in Bolivia right now). I love you all. Alex (Mr. Horrible) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 16:24:04 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma > > Allright folks, if the our dream of an Oklahoma Flesh Fest is to come > true, I need ideas for flyers and catchy slogans... > How about - It's big! It's bad! It's in the midwest! Come join us for the biggest open-air nudist festival since woodstock! Oh, yeah, They Might Be Giants is appearing, too...... :), 'Nette ps would J&J be naked too? ;) ************************************************************ "I wish I had gotten to know her/ before I fell in love" *******************They*Might*Be*Giants,*"Out of Jail"****** Jeanette Frost * frost@trenton.edu * Trenton State College ************************************************************ "Gee, Brain, this is better than a DuckTales episode!" ******************************Pinky,*"Opportunity*Knox"***** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 17:27:53 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Netiquette Several Netiquette questions have cropped up recently, to which I'd like to add my $.02: >When I said "Burn in Hell, Devil Child" I was being sarcastic...I know >it's hard to tell when the sarcasm is binary. Never-the-less, no harm was >intended and it was said in light-hearted tones (again, difficult to >perceive over a computer screen). I am sorry, and I hope I won't be Smilies work wonders. Happy: :-) Sarcastic: ;-) Wry: :-7 Try it, you'll like it. Even an IRC-style will work. >I don't know whether all caps is better grammatically than all >lower-case but it sure is a lot more ANNOYING!!!!!!! (I will refrain now >from all caps here). And for another thing, what the hell does basic Actually, I feel that both are annoying, but I at least find all lower case easier to read. > HI ALL, > I'VE GOTTEN ALOT OF INQUERIES ON WHY I USE ALL CAPITALS. THE FIRST >IS THAT EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT'S ME. THE MOST IMPORTENT ONE IS THAT >THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE >CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, If you are so mad at peoples' lack of knowledge about capitalization, maybe a few lessons in grammar would help. :-7 The following are not real words: INQUERIES, IMPORTENT, TYPEING, ignorence, ALOT, and CORECTALLY. I realize that people may make typos now and then, but no need to aggravate the situation by making the rest of the content nearly illegible. >Some people are annoyed by really big sigs too, even if they are from the >Hitchhiker's Guide! Yes, this can be a problem. Less than ten lines is good. :-) On another note of Netiquette, I think it would do us all a good turn if the FAQ were to be posted here periodically. What do you think? Sorry for the lack of real content, but the issues needed to be addressed. --Jon (who is getting very anal because he's nervous about his Bentley Scholarship interview) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 17:32:26 E Subject: slogans etc As I sit back here and watch Matt and Brother John duke it out over capital letters, and watch Alex put the fear of God into Pete, I think of some slogans for our Flesh Fest: - We Might Be Naked '96 appearing live in Oklahoma - The World's Address lying in a corner b/c we're all NAKED!!! Join us for the most nude night of your life! - They Might Be Giant Naked People in Oklahoma (with special appearance by Jenny's friend's band Fleshtug -- who cares how good the music is, what a bitchin' name!) - (email advertisement): Hi I'm Chris and I live in Oklahoma (forward message here) The best thing in Tulsa is The GIANT FLESH FEST 96 (handlettering by Brother John Blackhawk) (always gets em with a personal recommendation (this is in all fun btw)) - What could be better than a TMBG concert? How about a TMBG concert... in the BUFF! - Come to the flesh fest! Wet They Tshirt concert before the show! - GIANT FLESH FEST - all nudity, no Coolio Thanks for your time. Any references to anyone on the mailing list was purely in jest...the opinions stated in this email message are not necessarily the views of this institution...anyway. Tracy drove up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times... PS They CAN save you from traffic accidents! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:39:53 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: running naked or something Here's one. #1 Bill Clinton and Rush Limbaugh showing up and dancing togther on the stage! I don't think that there's much of a chance of them getting into a game of "Pass the Dude." ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:51:58 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Netiquette Jon mentioned the .sig netiquette. Here is my question. I WAS JSUT WUNDERIN IF I WUZ WRNOG HEAR? IZ MY SIG TO LONG? OR IZ IT TWO SHROT? MAYBE I SHOULDA WRITEN THIS MEASSAGE FORM MY *AOL* ADRESS. THIS IS IMPORTENT TOO ME! IT BOTHERES ME ALOT! I'D LIKE TO MAKE AN FEW INQUERIES TO THE LIST ABOUT MY TYPEING AMD MY SIGNUTARE. JEEZE, CANT' PEOPEL SPEEL CORECTALLY? BluDag@aol.com, 6th grade speelling bee champuion. beer drinker. NUQAuil Dirver. wunderful typeist. HEA, CHEK OUT MY WEB PAGE! HTTP://WWW.AOL.COM/MEMBERS/BluDag/THISNAMEISTHELONGESTNAMEALLOWEDBYTHESERVER .HTML N I R V A N A R U L Z sucks ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Anyone but Dole or Clinton in '96! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:02:36 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: Mercury Lounge Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that you have a friend New York here... I'm going to be getting tickets for at least the March 7th show this weekend... that's the only show that's been offically announced, but I haven't gotten this week's voice yet, so I could be wrong there... email me if you'd like for me to help you with anything, and I'll try my best... -Helene "Love is like an infant trying to stand up" -toad ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 17:18:01 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: JH, Apollo 18, Caps, etc. This will most likely be a very long message, so if you don't want to read it, please just skip it. However, I hope you'll find what I say intelligent even if you don't agree with it (but that's what you're supposed to do). Regarding capital letters: It is most annoying to find a message typed all in caps. It's a strain on the eyes and the brain, and it's not nice to do something just to annoy people, even if those people are doing something wrong in the first place. This is not how we solve problems. And I also find fault with the fact that you try to correct someone else's incorrect capitalization with even worse miscapitalization. If we want to pick nits with people who don't capitalize stuff, can we pick nits with you for your greivous and rampant spelling errors (and try to get you to correct them by misspelling every word we write)? Please be courteous and respect other people's wishes, especially when they've asked you nicely not to do something. As far as capitals go, they are usually regarded as "shouting," or used for emphasis, so people who really worry about you following rules probably think you're abusing the special status conferred to caps (uh, that sounded like something from an english paper...). Regarding John Henry: I have to say that I agree that JH is not quite up to the standard of their other albums. This is because JH is the equivalent of their first album - it's as if they have started all over again. I personally think that Apollo 18 was their best album (although it's not my favorite because they didn't quite pull it off), because it's a mix of Lincoln ('grotesque' and 'serious', has my favorite song Ana Ng on it), and Flood ('happy' and 'light', has my second favorite song Birdhouse In Your Soul on it). Alot of songs on Lincoln have the ability to sort of transport me to another place, make me feel something not quite describable. I sometimes still shiver listening to Ana Ng because the song is so amazing, I can visualize this abstract 'place' in my head that's Ana Ng (maybe someone knows what I mean here?) Birdhouse is an undeniably happy song, and it makes me want to just get up and skip around the room and love someone. I view I Palindrome I as almost a mix of those two feelings, but toned down a bit. I don't like JH because it does not let up from the 'hard' songs, and when it does, it feels somehow false. It has less accordion, which had really helped the melodies, and is more guitar driven (not bad, but not for the whole album). Their lyrics seem to be weakening just a bit, with the notable absence of those great little pieces of logic that became less and less frequent after Lincoln (ie 'Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting, where your eyes don't go?), and also the frequency of the puns and wordplay that make them so great. Their music and lyrics seem to have taken on more repetativeness than I've seen before (you need some, but not too much), and their music seems to be more tailored for power and that hard rockin' quality you get from the live shows, which is not all bad, I just think they took it a little too far. Also, having the full band behind them, it seems that they think they have to make guitar driven music with less understandable lyrics and more 'cookie cutter' type songs where they put guitar, drums, bass, keyboard, lyrics in, and out comes a bunch of songs. I'm not saying all of the songs are like this, I'm just saying some songs tend to lean this way. Notable songs that are great examples of what they can do with the full band and still keep the 'old style': End of the Tour, James Ensor, No One Knows My Plan, Snail Shell, Destination Moon, Self Called Nowhere, and Subliminal (that's borderline, and I'm probably forgetting one or two others). However, I have faith. These _are_ the Giants we're talking about here! :) While I don't think that John Henry's a great example of what they can do, I think it will compare to their future work as the Snowman Album (nyah! to all you Pink Album/Blue Dog people out there, the snowmen are too cool, so that's what I'm calling it!) compared to all of their work up to JH. Add that to the fact that they have not yet put out an album or single that sounded overly similar to the previous one, and I'm not worried at all. Oh yeah, where/when is that concert near Scranton (I think?), because I might be able to go, depending when. Also, anyone know if they'll be having a concert anywhere near Cleveland anytime soon (Scranton's about 5 hours away, so that's close enough), because I went to a concert in Nov of 94 when I only had Lincoln and Apollo 18, and now that I have all their stuff except BtS, O Tannenbaum, DAS, and 25 O'Clock, I'm dying to go! Thanks to all who've gotten this far, I know it was really long but I really needed to say it. And please, somebody respond to it, because I wanna know what you guys think about it! - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:11:38 -0500 Subject: chess piece face:compliment or insult? so far in the receding chess piece saga.. insult is winning here's my analysis pawn 1. stupid guy who is used in some kind of situation..INSULT 2. a small hardworking person in an organization..COMPLIMENT rook 1. aka castle strong and powerful piece of defence.. medieval fortress..COMPLIMENT knight 1. who would want to be associated with a horse? INSULT bishop 1. strong religious figure..COMPLIMENT queen 1. the supreme of bitchiness INSULT king 1. as of a queen INSULT overall, noticed to be overall COMPLIMENT ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:16:22 -0500 Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma > >Alright folks, if the our dream of an Oklahoma Flest Fest is to come >true, I need ideas for flyers and catchy slogans... > What about.... All They....All Naked....All The Time!!! Llama grrl ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:58:59 -0500 Subject: Re: Good to meet you >Sorry for taking up so much, I wonder if all will be posted. Keep on >keepin' on.-----Nola "I should have a call-in show" Weaver I just wanted to add this to the "Misinterperetted (mispelled) Lyrics" thread... I had, until now, thought that the above line from I Should be allowed to think was "I should have a college show"... that's not incredibly amusing or anything, but I thought I'd share... me who is uninteresting at best unless you are looking at my web page that took hour to think up and then to add the subliminal messages ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 19:23:43 -0500 Subject: Re: running naked or something I>I don't think that there's much of a chance of them getting into a game of >"Pass the Dude." oh, that's a scary thought, ughhh, pass the dude at flesh fest... then again :) (: er, nevermind me who might just get flamed for no particular reason or perhaps for not using capital letters in this sentence although you would not either if you had four voices in your head telling you not to although that is not what was meant to be said ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 19:46:04 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: TMBG out o' nowhere I have had a couple of experiences where TMBG has popped up out of nowhere and I would like to share them and ask if many other people have had such interesting experiences. One of the first was I was sitting in the middle of a shoe separtment in a Fashion outlets mall, and all of a sudden the intercom started playing 'No One Knows My Plan'. My friend and I exchanged surprised looks, all the more so surprised because the intercom had been playing the usual Sear's store type, no words, easy listening crap, that tries to lull you into a state of virtual hypnosis, so that you'll buy the large purple and gold sofa they're trying to sell you despite the fact that you don't have a living room... anyways, most of the other people in the store seemed just as surprised, and the sales people didn't seem to thrilled about it. The other experience was at a Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert where one of the opening bands (Hagfish) played 'Twisting'. It was by far the most popular song they played, and many people near me at the concert were considdering getting the album just for that song... this because the band never made any statement as to the fact that the song wasn't originally their's, depsite the fact that they played it perfect TMBG style. My friend (the same one) and I were irked to say the least. Oh.. well.. more mainstream publicity for TMBG lost.. On the whole caps.. no caps deal: Can't we all just get along? Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:49:11 -0600 (CST) From: Annie Hall Subject: Flesh Fest! Sorry, the Barenaked ladies bit was a spur of the moment thing. What do you think, kids? :) -jenny, who's drawing on her public relations skills to do...evil. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ YOU, my friends, yes YOU are cordially invited to attend... * * * F L E S H F E S T ' 9 6 * * * Appearing (in the Flesh, no less...) THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS! BARENAKED LADIES! and a special appearance... FLESHTUG! When: Where: A big field in Oklahoma, baby! Why: Good question... THEY MIGHT BE NAKED...COME AND FIND OUT... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 20:16:43 -0500 Subject: Lotsa Stuff HELLO It's me again. About the nude thing- uh... NO How are we going to get TMBG to go to the country and play for a bunch of diehard hippies? Sorry to crush your dreams. 8 ( Anyway, how about these? 1) Is "The Biggest One" a mockery of someone? 2) Old or new TMBG better? I know there's something else, I'll probably think of it later. Take a guess on how many freckles Lawrence has on his neck! The Winner gets to know a secret suprise. ( I know 'cause I sit behind him sometimes- no perverted flames please ) BrotherJohnJaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 20:52:56 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: my opinion of John Henry i just wanted to share my opinion of John Henry (which i am sure all of you were dying to hear). while i love this album, i feel that the song lyrics are not up to what i expect of Them. Snail Shell (the single that most non-Giant fans have heard of) is not on the same level as Their other singles and the lyrics are not quite as fascinating. on the other hand, this album does contain the songs No One Knows My Plan, A Self Called Nowhere, AND The End Of The Tour which makes it all worth it. thank you for listening to my personal opinion. as for the question: >2) Old or new TMBG better? i can't seem to decide on that question. everytime i hear a different TMBG album, i change my mind... jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter p.s. sorry that i don't capitilize... i will try to make up for that fact by being extemely nice. :) _______________________________________________________________________ jenn 'sunny' schival "When I was young, all I wanted was to be ruler of the universe. Now that isn't enough." -- Alex P. Keaton ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 05:57:26 -0800 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: missed lyrics a-go-go, etc. Can you guys stand one more missed lyric story? I used to think the beginning of Snail Shell went "Sir Ham, opposite man" (Backhand ref to Particle Man, perhaps?) And I will not even mention my friend Danielle, who until recently thought that the chorus to They'll Need A Crane went, "Velveeta train". Anyone know when They plan to grace the West with Their presence? Please let it be soon, but not over the summer cuz I'll be out o'the country. -Nicole Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole/ ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:25:44 E Subject: another slogan We're all naked but that's OK(lahoma) Jenny your poster/sign thing kicked butt...I'm likin' the Barenaked Ladies thing :) Out by herself in the graveyard, Trace ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: slogan ideas Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:36:55 -0500 (EST) Has anyone noticed that all of the women are the ones who are coming up with the flesh slogans and seem so excited about it happening? ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:59:30 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Netiquette Jonathan Chaffer aptly wrote: >>THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE >>CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, > >If you are so mad at peoples' lack of knowledge about capitalization, maybe >a few lessons in grammar would help. I would like to add that if one is irritated by others' lack of knowledge about proper capitalization practices, the most fruitful (and mature) course of action would undoubtedly be to set a good example by using capitalization properly oneself. In other news, I fully support the motion that the FAQ be circulated here on a regular basis. You can never be too well informed, after all. m@t Have you ever paid your taxes - at a Coke machine? You will... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:12:04 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: JH, Apollo 18, Caps, etc. >usually regarded as "shouting," or used for emphasis, so people who >really worry about you following rules probably think you're abusing the >special status conferred to caps (uh, that sounded like something from an >english paper...). Actually there *are* perfectly valid semiotic reasons why the use of all caps is both annoying and hard to read, most notably in terms of markedness issues (at least in relation to your "special status" noted above). m@t (Who would not condone entering a crowded chat room and typing FIRE.) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:11:10 -0600 (CST) From: Annie Hall Subject: Re: slogan ideas On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Has anyone noticed that all of the women are the ones who are coming up > with the flesh slogans and seem so excited about it happening? ;) > Matt > -- That's only because naked men look goofy. Hey I wonder, will we be allowed to wear hats? I wouldn't want to get sunburned... -jenny, who burns easily. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:36:57 -0600 (CST) From: Annie Hall Subject: Re: slogan ideas On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Annie Hall wrote: > > On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > Has anyone noticed that all of the women are the ones who are coming up > > with the flesh slogans and seem so excited about it happening? ;) > > Matt > > -- > > That's only because naked men look goofy. Hey I wonder, will we be > allowed to wear hats? I wouldn't want to get sunburned... > > -jenny, who burns easily. > Ok, I'm going to apologize for that now. I think I've been mean. Sure, naked men look goofy, but we love them anyway. -jenny, who swears Trace must be the love child of David Letterman. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 20:58:40 -0800 (PST) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: TMBG out o' nowhere On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Willy Nunn wrote: > The other experience was at a Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert where > one of the opening bands (Hagfish) played 'Twisting'. It was by far the most > popular song they played, and many people near me at the concert were > considdering getting the album just for that song... this because the band > never made any statement as to the fact that the song wasn't originally > their's, depsite the fact that they played it perfect TMBG style. My friend > (the same one) and I were irked to say the least. Oh.. well.. more > mainstream publicity for TMBG lost.. All right! I got to respond to this before fenny or rabidchild! Here's the deal: Hagfish, this mucho fun punk band from Dallas (!) who are just starting to get popular, have been playing "Twistin'" for about two years or more. It's the only cover song they play. And in the past, they did acknowledge it on several occasions, and even invite certain knowledgable people up on stage to sing the background vocals. It had never been recorded, tho, until now. They (Hagfish) just put it on the new single for "Happiness," which just came out. It isn't on the album, which you should get, but don't believe that that's the same way they sound live. They're a lot more fun in person. now you know. Jason Weiner * Stanford University * discord@leland.stanford.edu %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. "Correctly formulated, the Law of Fives is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." --Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 00:03:54 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: slogan ideas >Has anyone noticed that all of the women are the ones who are coming up >with the flesh slogans and seem so excited about it happening? ;) >Matt I dunno.. I would be sendin' up slogans if I could come up with any witty enough, but so far the women seem to have been doing a much better job of it.. and the last I knew I was a guy.. wait a minute let me check...... yup, I'm still a guy.. so I guess I'll break the mold and try a slogan thingy.. What to bring and what not to bring to Flesh Fest '96 (an all inclusive checklist) To Bring: 1. Yourself 2. An Accordian(sp?) if possible-> Face it, if you had one would you leave it at home? 3. A freind (although probably not one you would rather NOT see in the buff) 4. A good sense of Humor Not to Bring: 1. CLOTHES!! 2. small furry animals (if people do get to moshing we wouldn't want another Richard Gere accident, now would we) 3. Any sharp objects 4. A nasty disposition If everyone follows this list, things should go pretty well Wilbz (who is still pretty sure that he's a man) __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:25:53 -0800 (PST) From: Marvin the Unreal Subject: Re: My evil twin Y'know, I always think of Nixon too. It really must be a subliminal message... Marvin of 41 On Thu, 22 Feb 1996 Llamagrrl@aol.com wrote: > i think i _maybe_ remeber hearing that the republican president was referring > to Nixon. i don't know why i think this, maybe it's some kind of *subliminal* > message. maybe. oh, well, that's my guess anyway. > > Llama grrl > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: slogan ideas Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:22:15 -0500 (EST) > > What to bring and what not to bring to Flesh Fest '96 (an all inclusive > checklist) > > To Bring: > 1. Yourself > 2. An Accordian(sp?) if possible-> Face it, if you had one would you leave > it at home? > 3. A freind (although probably not one you would rather NOT see in the buff) > 4. A good sense of Humor Lemme add to the list 5. Pop Tarts! 6. Justine Frischman 7. Annie Holland! > > Not to Bring: > 1. CLOTHES!! > 2. small furry animals (if people do get to moshing we wouldn't want another > Richard Gere accident, now would we) > 3. Any sharp objects > 4. A nasty disposition 5. Tang! ack 6. Mick Jagger! -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:22:17 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma >ps would J&J be naked too? ;) Methinks that if the Johns appeared without clothes, we could possibly muster enough Oklahomans to make the concert a reality! :) ________________ Jenna Davis, the only bee in your bonnet. jenna@onramp.net "We all have a dark side to say the least, and dealing in death is the nature of the beast..." -Pink Floyd ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 02:23:20 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Re: Unrelated things On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I find that I do not love Unrelated Things, it would be my #20 song on > JH if I were to rate them in order of how I like each song. > Matt > -- Woohoo!! This is my least favorite song on JH as well. It's just NOT as good as the other songs on there, in lyrics or music. If people who like the Grateful Dead are called Deadheads, are we Puppetheads? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:38:42 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Re: My evil twin At 9:25 pm 2/22/96, Marvin the Unreal wrote: >Y'know, I always think of Nixon too. It really must be a subliminal >message... > > >Marvin of 41 > >On Thu, 22 Feb 1996 Llamagrrl@aol.com wrote: > >> i think i _maybe_ remeber hearing that the republican president was referring >> to Nixon. i don't know why i think this, maybe it's some kind of *subliminal* >> message. maybe. oh, well, that's my guess anyway. >> >> Llama grrl >> Hmmm... I always thought it was a stab at Reagan, but he wasn't all that long ago. I guess it's just my psyche's way of venting my hostility toward old Ronnie Boy... ________________ Jenna Davis, the only bee in your bonnet. jenna@onramp.net "We all have a dark side to say the least, and dealing in death is the nature of the beast..." -Pink Floyd ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-54 *****************************