Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-55 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 55 Saturday, 24 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Netiquette Mono Puff...the entire CD re; Republican President the grass has semen NO caps Yes...totally... Re: Mono Puff...the entire CD More than Sen-Surround Words of Thanks Re: Words of Thanks Re: Words of Thanks (none) My two cents on the naked fest! Re: Unrelated things Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 T-Shirts for Oklahoma Re: slogan ideas Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 Re: More than Sen-Surround concerts ye olde fleshe feste Clarifications about Mono Puff CD... Re: More than Sensurround Concert Postings...? John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) It's Not My Birthday and Mellowdramatic Wallflowers Naked TMBG concert Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma Another #1... Tribute Album Tiny Toons the Fleshmaster thanks you Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 Re: Tribute Album Re: Tribute Album John Henry Re: Tribute Album Re: Tribute Album Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: slogan ideas Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: Tiny Toons Re: Tribute Album (none) First exposure to J&J, and other tidbits Re: Tribute Album Tribute album? A little more on FleshFest The merest ideas... Re: Tribute album? will this get through Tiny Toons Re: Tiny Toons Re: The merest ideas... Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) this has nothing to do with TMBG, it's seriously important though. Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 02:47:24 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Netiquette THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING THAT I HAVE SEEN ON HERE RECENTLY. THAT IS NO EASY FEAT. CONGRATULATIONS. IN ADDITION, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE MYSELF AND DISTINGUISH MYSELF FOR FILLING THE TMBG LIST WITH EVEN MORE CRAP. LETS KEEP IT UP!!!!!!! On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > Jonathan Chaffer aptly wrote: > >>THERE IS A GREAT NUMBER OF F--KHEAD A--HOLES OUT THERE WHO DON'T USE > >>CAPITALS AT ALL. IT PISSES THEM OFF WHEN I USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, > > > >If you are so mad at peoples' lack of knowledge about capitalization, maybe > >a few lessons in grammar would help. > > I would like to add that if one is irritated by others' lack of knowledge > about proper capitalization practices, the most fruitful (and mature) course > of action would undoubtedly be to set a good example by using capitalization > properly oneself. > > > In other news, I fully support the motion that the FAQ be circulated here > on a regular basis. You can never be too well informed, after all. > > m@t > > Have you ever paid your taxes - at a Coke machine? You will... > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 03:47:36 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Mono Puff...the entire CD Heyas listers! For those interested, I am going to post the ENTIRE Mono Puff CD EP from the Hello club from March of '95. Currently, each track (of 6) is about 400k, that's in Macintosh sound format, at 5khz, uncompressed. Please email another of my accounts at: monopuff@aol.com with the sound and compression type you prefer. Whichever one gets the most votes wins. Please do NOT send your prefs to the list...they will just clog it up. If nobody says anything I'll post the sounds in .wav format and compressed with Stuffit as .sit files sometime next week. Happy listing, Mike -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages, and Mono Puff CD sounds...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 02:31:30 -0800 From: Brian Kobashikawa Subject: re; Republican President >On Thu, 22 Feb 1996 Llamagrrl@aol.com wrote: > >> i think i _maybe_ remeber hearing that the republican president was referring >> to Nixon. i don't know why i think this, maybe it's some kind of *subliminal* >> message. maybe. oh, well, that's my guess anyway. >> >> Llama grrl >> > Hmmm... I always thought it was a stab at Reagan, but he wasn't all >that long ago. I guess it's just my psyche's way of venting my hostility >toward old Ronnie Boy... For TMBG, I'd say the most logical one would be President Lincoln. Why? a) 1860s were LOOONG ago, relative to the party history b) Republican, although his party changed names temporarily c) was killed (although I'm pretty sure Booth didn't severe his arm) d) John & John apparently grew up in a town of the same name e) _Lincoln_! (released 1988, election year) Sounds reasonable to me... actually, that sounds like an ATTACK on _Lincoln_. Well, forget that; put my money on President Warren G. Harding! Brian Kobashikawa (kobashik@ucla.edu) __ __ bb| kk| * bb| kk| * "My last paycheck bounced. bb|___ kk| __ * My children need wine." bbbbbb\ kk| kk/ * bb| bb| kk|kk/ * bb| bb| kkkk\ * bb|__bb| kk|kk\ * bbbbbb/ kk| kk\ * Brian Kobashikawa ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 07:03:17 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (The Man Who Sweeps The Room) Subject: the grass has semen Jamie is NOT Weezer's best song. Surf Wax USA is. And Jamie is not as cool when you realize it's about a guy who's in love with his lawyer. I'm not going into that because this is a TMBG list, not Weezer. It IS anti-climactic, not anti-climatic! (That's one of my favorite words, but I never felt like looking it up.) Anyway, down to business. Finally, I know what a Longine Symphonette is. Longine, yes, did make watches (and might still) but their Symphonette was *not* a watch. It was a series of concerts sponsered by them. I'm assuming the concerts were either very long or they were boring, but my Mom says they resemble Pops concerts today. Do Mono Puff and Hello! sound like TMBG? I need some new music while fucking john and john cancel their next album. (Just kidding...bless them. Brian Doherty especailly. He's the man.) Moshing is OK, but not to TMBG. You can't mosh to brass rock! No one moshes to Dave Matthews (well, not many people...) It's just stupid! I'm agreeing with the Blues Traveler #1. That guy scares me. But, so does the lead singer for the B-52's. *shudder* Enough! VOTE! And I am working on a form, so you idiots WILL vote. ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: NO caps Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 8:47:56 18000 And here's my little addition to the slogan ideas for the (imaginary) Oklahoma flesh-fest of 96..... . >>>>>>They Might Be Giants ((And now we'll know!))<<<<<< -Thank you -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:58:14 -0500 (EST) From: Erin Kimes Subject: Yes...totally... Hola! Mis amigos! I too attended the DC in Jan. My friends turned me onto the Giants in high school (about 4 years ago). Therefore, I haven't been to may shows. Only two, in fact. I saw them at some WHFS thing last year, then in DC. I was too very, uh, unsettled by the behavior of the fans at the show. I had been told that the crowds were very mellow and "loving". Then some freaks of nature started moshing to like evry single damn song. Um, scuse me, HELLO! Some 12 year old devil's spawn started crowd surfing. Then it all went straight down hill from there. Go to see Henry Rollins if its crowd surfing your into. Not TMBG. Could you get any more mellow. The crowd was much better behaved at Alanis. They actually threw a bottle of water onstage. What utter lack of respect for John and John. Thanks for the air time. Just had to get it off my chest. Oh, don't worry, the behvior of the few have not squelched my love of Them. ----Erin (Towosn State University, MD) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Mono Puff...the entire CD Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:59:31 -0500 (EST) > For those interested, I am going to post the ENTIRE Mono Puff CD EP > from the Hello club from March of '95. 'post' bothers me. Please do not send that to the list, and I'd even advise against doing it on Usenet. I'd recomend putting iton a web server if you want to distribute it, but I'm not sure distributing a whole CD over the net is a very good idea. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:39:53 EST Subject: More than Sen-Surround Concerning MMPR Soundtrack: There is more than Sen-Surround(which is an awesome song. There is that cool Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Higher Ground. There is Kung-Fu Dancing, which is also wicked. Check it out!!! -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:47:30 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Words of Thanks Just a few words of thanks: First of all, mouchas gracias to all those who helped me locate net sites that carry TMBG pics. Although many of you gave me the same advice, it was helpful never-the-less. Secondly, a big thank you to those of you who offered the TMBG demo tape in trade. My apologies go out to everyone who didn't receive a reply from me, but I had so many offers, I could only answer a handfull. It isn't personal, believe me. Finally, a huge THANK YOU to everyone on the list for just being you!! I hardly know any of you, and yet, through our shared love for They Might Be Giants, everyone has instantly gained my respect and trust and friendship. Although opinions about songs, albums, etc., may vary from time to time, it doesn't really matter, 'cause we're all here for the same reason: To worship John and John like the Gods that They are. BTW, about those little "happy", "sarcastic", etc., faces, the only reason I don't use them, is 'cause every time I see one, I feel I have to tilt my head on a 90 degree angle to look at it properly. But just because I have a mental imbalance, doesn't mean everyone else should stop using them. Thanks for you time everyone. Alex Mr. Me. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:23:03 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Words of Thanks Ah! Yet another arguing point from a message of love: > it doesn't really matter, 'cause we're all here for the > same reason: To worship John and John like the Gods that They are. I would like to argue the point that the reason why They are so great, is that They are the common man (woman, if you prefer.) They are really the type of people that your friends are. We laugh at the same things, like the same music, etc. I could really see Them just hanging out saying, "Hey, we're just like you guys. Let's rock!" Does this make sense???? grd ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:09:06 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Words of Thanks On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > Ah! Yet another arguing point from a message > of love: > > > it doesn't really matter, 'cause we're all here for the > > same reason: To worship John and John like the Gods that They are. > > > I would like to argue the point that the reason why > They are so great, is that They are the common man (woman, if > you prefer.) They are really the type of people that your > friends are. We laugh at the same things, like the same > music, etc. I could really see Them just hanging out > saying, "Hey, we're just like you guys. Let's rock!" > > Does this make sense???? Yes, of course that makes sense...anything anyone says in appreciation of Them will make sense, especially to the person that said it. Re-read the previous line from my message, the one about differing opinions. You think They're the common man...that's cool...I think They're Gods...that's cool too. Just enjoy Them for whatever reason you see fit, 'cause what it all boils down to, is that the reason why we love Them isn't important...what's important is that we do love Them...and that's it. "You only can do what you know how to do well," "And I've often been told that you only can do," "What you know how to do well," "And that's be you," "Be what you're like," "Be like yourself," "And so I'm having a wonderful time," "But I'd rather be whisteling in the dark." TMBG -Whistling in the Dark ------------------------------ From: postmaster@student2.uwsp.edu Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 10:03 CST >From postmaster Fri Feb 23 10:03:20 1996 Subject: smtp mail failed Content-Type: text Content-Length: 1922 Your mail to student2.uwsp.edu!lmelv354 is undeliverable. ---------- diagnosis ---------- ---------- unsent mail ---------- From tmbg-digest Thu Feb 22 03:05:07 0500 1996 remote from tmbg.org Received: (majordom@localhost) by mail.tmbg.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id DAA21123; Thu, 22 Feb 1996 03:05:07 -0500 (EST) Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 03:05:07 -0500 (EST) From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199602220805.DAA21123@mail.tmbg.org> Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-53 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 53 Thursday, 22 February 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Transitions Ahhh, But... Re: Transitions Superfueled Freaksickle I was dreaming.......... Re: Transitions TMBG radio update and other random stuff Re: Ahhh, But... tmbg pics Hello t-shirt Re: lyrics Re: chess piece face:complaint? Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Stuff.... Re: tmbg pics Mercury Lounge Re: lyrics? What's the deal with the albums? Re: tmbg pics Re: lyrics? back in business!\ Re: Stuff.... Mississippi Nights-- need tickets Re: tmbg pics Re: What's the deal with the albums? Re: Upcoming... Re: Stuff.... big hand little hand Ahhh, But... Re: tmbg pics Re: TMBG Project ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:24:10 -0500 (EST) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: My two cents on the naked fest! Hi all, my first active post, I thought I'd give you some humor. *btw, this is really Bryan!* so as not to confuse anyone... Ok.... TOP SIGN YOU KNOW YOU'VE OVERSTAYED YOUR OKLAHOMA WELCOME: 1) A fithy scarcrow waves his broomstick arms and does a parody of each unconscious thing you do! TOP SIGN TO PROCLAIM YOUR NAKED-NESS: 1) Everyone looks naked when you know the World's Address. TOP SIGN YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS DURING THE WINTER: 1) People start building snowmen with protective rubber skin! TOP SIGN "SOMEONE" DOESN'T LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING: 1) Buildings crumble. The ground opens wide... TOP SIGN YOU ARE TOO NAKED: 1) Your "evil twin" isn't hiding underneath your skin. Let me know what you think and I'll try a few more! Going to see the cow beneath the sea, Bryan Shelton /-------------------------------------------------------\ /------------/ Electrical Engineering - Rutgers University 1996 | |URL: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~bshelton | \---------------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 09:34:10 MST Subject: Re: Unrelated things ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 5 Woah! Unrelated thing is one of the finest songs from John Henry, IMHO. Perhaps you just don't like that tasty pedal-steel guitar part. It's not JUST for country & western anymore! ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:47:19 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 > so utterly amazed at every other TMBG release that I couldn't help but be > just disappointed. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any > interesting songs... there definitely are (Sleeping In The Flowers and I > Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a > masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like > their older albums were masterpieces. I'm all for the "full band" > approach - and I like the new (...have been joined by...) members. I just > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? > Funny thing is: _I_ started getting these 'not so fresh' feelings myself...except it was not with John Henry... I was disappointed in the 'transitional' sounds of Apollo 13 when it first came out. Infact A13 is probably my least favorite THEY album... that STILL puts it ahead of every other album by any other band in the universe, though. Eventually, however, the full band sound did grow on me...so when John Henry was released...I was much more ready to accept it. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. _Carson Herrick__________________________ ...wants a rock to tie a string around... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:56:31 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: MO.NET Subject: T-Shirts for Oklahoma Okay, lets begin... Co-Ed Naked TMBG Concert....... "The world's without a-Dress" :P "Thank you for taking off my snail sheeeeeeeaaall" :7 "come see if flansburgh really IS jewish" (no no no) "The conga line's the best during the flesh fest" (I know, no more) sorry to dissapoint everyone... think of something better! -Fitch -- Mitch Fishman mitchf@mo.net srpescado@aol.com http://walden.mo.net/~mitchf -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:04:20 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: slogan ideas > > > > What to bring and what not to bring to Flesh Fest '96 (an all inclusive > > checklist) > > > > To Bring: > > 1. Yourself > > 2. An Accordian(sp?) if possible-> Face it, if you had one would you leave > > it at home? > > 3. A freind (although probably not one you would rather NOT see in the buff) > > 4. A good sense of Humor > Lemme add to the list > 5. Pop Tarts! > 6. Justine Frischman > 7. Annie Holland! Hey, aren't we forgetting something important? 8. Suntan Lotion. And lots of it. -jenny, who can't think of anything original to say right now. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:28:43 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 > Funny thing is: _I_ started getting these 'not so fresh' feelings > myself...except it was not with John Henry... > I was disappointed in the 'transitional' sounds of Apollo 13 when it > first came out. Infact A13 is probably my least favorite THEY album... > > Just wanted you to know you're not alone. > > _Carson Herrick__________________________ Well, the problem is that you have mistakenly bought the Apollo 13 Movie Soundtrack!! The album you _should_ be listening to is _Apollo 18_. Hope this clarify's things for you, and you will then come to the realization that A18 is really on the top of the list of all-time greatest TMBG albums. grd ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:24:56 -0500 (EST) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: More than Sen-Surround Hey, I got a great story, well, maybe it's not great for anybody else but it made me happy. A couple days ago I was in this used CD store and I saw the Might Morphin PR soundtrack for only 6 dollars. I decided, what the hell, and bought it. I taped SenSurround and then yesterday I traded it in at a different music store and got 8 bucks off a Dead Milkmen CD. I actually made money off it.. I'm so happy (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > Concerning MMPR Soundtrack: > > There is more than Sen-Surround(which is an awesome > > song. There is that cool Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover > > of Higher Ground. There is Kung-Fu Dancing, which is > > also wicked. Check it out!!! > > -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. > > MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US > > "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, > > NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO > ------------------------------ Subject: concerts Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:39:19 -0500 (EST) From: "** JEN TSAO **" I don't know if this has been posted already, but when the list of aol concert dates were posted, i think some of them were wrong. I'm pretty sure, almost positive, that the Northampton show is on the 8th of March and the Biddeford show is on the 9th. Anyone on this list from Mt. Holyoke, first of all. (I'm trying to track down my friend who goes there) And anyone going to the Northampton show??? ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:04:11 E Subject: ye olde fleshe feste The reason why the women are so skippity do da over this is because we can easily take a facetious issue (ha ha! we laugh a naked show!) and make jokes about it and come up with incredibly witty and profound things to say, while the guys just start imagining being around a lot of naked female They fans and have to start thinking about baseball. :) hehe... Anyway, remember to bring: hula hoop and never ever bring: processed cheese ok, we also need a johnny on the spot so we don't have to piddle in the middle of a field. And if this gets off the ground I'm really not the kind of girl who likes anyone in her personal space (stay back, close talkers!) so you'll all need megaphones :) Unless you drug me. Like on the A Team whenever BA had to get on a plane. Hypnotism works too. According to Jenny I think I'm, Tracy Letterman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:07:12 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Clarifications about Mono Puff CD... About the Mono Puff CD thingy... For anyone who may have misunderstood: I will be putting the sounds on my web page, not posting them to the list (I have better things to do than encode these files and risk annyoing the entire list). For any of you that think this is a silly/stupid idea...oh well, it's my time and disk quota. :P Also, I will post 10-15 second sound bites in the same area as the complete songs. Mike -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:16:08 -0500 (EST) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: Re: More than Sensurround Ah yes the MMPR soundtrack.... I got the promo copy of the MMPR soundtrack that has Sensurround and then Kung Fu Dancing...it's a fun song.. Sort of like the new one for "Rumble in the Bronx" with Jackie Chan....I'm not sure who sings it but it's a good one... Bryan Shelton /-------------------------------------------------------\ /------------/ Electrical Engineering - Rutgers University 1996 | |URL: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~bshelton | \---------------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:43:04 -0500 (EST) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: Concert Postings...? Hi again, I asked a while back, but didn't see any response - is there a place available via the internet where ALL of the known concert dates are? If not someone please post them and then I will put them up on my page so everyone will know and not have to ask (so there won't be any confusion.) Siftin', Siftin' Siftin, through the dates, Bryan Shelton /-------------------------------------------------------\ /------------/ Electrical Engineering - Rutgers University 1996 | |URL: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~bshelton | \---------------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:55:53 -0600 (CST) Subject: John Henry(more blasphemy) (I promise not to make any more upset Oklahoman comments - after this one!) What I meant by saying "disgruntled Oklahoman" was that I am not happy to be living in one of the ten worst states in the Union. After all, no radio station would ever dream of playing even "Istanbul." Feel free to make all the fun of OK as you want, we do all the time in Tulsa. I (timidly) agree that John Henry is not up to par with any of Their previous albums. I listen to it about once every week, at the most, while I listen to the others at least once a day. The lyrics seem, I don't know, not Theirs, expect for Subliminal, NKMP, and End of the Tour, and maybe a few others. I like the full band thing, but, their is just something surreal about Their earlier work. It is as though They felt that they had to have more substantial lyrics to go with a full band. I hope that WHENEVER a new album comes out(sometime before Mr. Universe's watch hands meet, I hope.) it will have resolved the matter - reconciled Their roots with Their evolution One thing that has suprised me about what people on the list consider as their favorite songs is that few ever mention Don't Let's Start. Everyone (fans at leat, you know, the enlightened ones) at the University of Tulsa loves that song. Oh well, we are probably not as up on They as our brethren in the real world. Okay, lady, I love you, byebye... Chris aka person-man "Everything right is wrong again" although, considering recent threads, I should say "EVERYTHING wRiTe iz WroNG again" tmbg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:52:52 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma > >ps would J&J be naked too? ;) > > Methinks that if the Johns appeared without clothes, we could possibly > muster enough Oklahomans to make the concert a reality! :) Please. You must mean OklaHOMOS. erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: deputy dog Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 16:05:52 EST > I (timidly) agree that John Henry is not up to par with any of Their > previous albums. I listen to it about once every week, at the most, while > I listen to the others at least once a day. The lyrics seem, I don't know, > not Theirs, expect for Subliminal, NKMP, and End of the Tour, and maybe a few wow! are you kidding? is this for real? once a day for each album? once a week for all the others? now, i'm a big fan, but...have you considered expanding your horizons? unless i am under the influence of a tmbg attack (not uncommon) i usually listen to about two albums or singles a week. and i have all their stuff. sheesh. haveyou considered getting help?:) i don't know...maybe everyone else listens to tmbg just as frequently and i'm sort of a heretic. how about it guys? how much tmbg is enough? in regards to those who have commented on my (slight) disaffinity with apollo...i can't really explain it. i mean, you know how some music you just feel like you understand it and it understands you...a song comes on and you just say 'this is perfect. this is what its all about.' i don't know... maybe i'm being a little too mystic, but its like me and apollo don't have as good vibes as the others. anyway, that was really a pretty useless attempt to explain myself. i'm stopping now. farside ps i agree, on a totally unrelated note to a totally unrelated thread, that surf wax usa is the best weezer song. although i do remember reading in one of the tmbg newsletters that they listened to weezer a lot on the road, specifically buddy holly because of its beach boys-esque sounds, which are certainly present as well in sw usa. but i said i was stopping and this time i really mean it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:44:44 -0500 From: cn3765@coastalnet.com (Williams) Subject: It's Not My Birthday and Mellowdramatic Wallflowers <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< To Matthew James: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sorry... I REALLY didn't mean to belittle INMB. Truth is, it's one of my favorite songs. > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? Is this a bit of a cut on It's not My Birthday? I would probably say that INMB is better than all of these songs listed with the possible exception of Turn Around. I can understand how you could get that from what I wrote. What I really meant to indicate with my "or even (really)" was not that the song was inferior but that it had been available only as a "B" for a long time, and is less widely known. Looking at it, I could definitely have chosen better words. Sorry. I, too, love getting this song stuck in my head for hours on end. I wouldn't, however, belittle the other songs the way you have... the ones I listed were only 3 in a million I could have chosen. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< To Everybody: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oh, and for the last time, I LOVE the group. I'll never stray. Thank you. While we're on the subject of Oklahoma... there's a band out of Tulsa - a very obscure band - called "Mellodramatic Wallflowers". Some or many or all of you might appreciate them. They're light-hearted, wierd, clever, humorous, and incredibly musical. They have 2 albums available. The first, from 1992, is called "daffadowndilly" presumably from the "Poo" poem. The second is entitled "Continental Breakfast" ('94, I think). As I said, they are rather obscure, so you might have to hunt a bit to get the CD's. It was worth it for "Moxy Fruvous", I would say. Of course, you ask me for their address. This band is somewhere in the vicinity of TMBG and Moxy, with a touch of hyper- Celt and folk. The last thing I need, of course, is to get everybody mad at me again, so . Here's a couple of lines from one of their early songs, "I Knew A Wizard": I knew a wizard / who liked to turn stop signs / into giant dancing palmtrees / It became easy / to tell where he had been / it started looking like Hawaii / And when the FBI / finally tracked him down / his only words were / "lighten up!" One line from "Rhetoric" on "Continental Breakfast" goes "So, you're in a band / I'm sure that must be / nice for you / Moravian men / to tell us what / we all should do" Steve Francen: guitars, banjos, mandolin, assorted percussive snack items, vocals Brad Becker: keyboards, saxophone, 12-string guitar, song flute, accordian, vocals Jarrod Gollihare: drums, other rhythmic what-nots, vocals Mark Carr: bass, vocals (from the liner to the first MelDram album, they have added instruments on CB) It also says, "Warning: Unauthorized reproduction of this recording is prohibited by Federal Law and is subject to persecution by our friend Bruno." Anyhow... thank you for your patience. The only reason I mention Mellodramatic Wallflowers at all is because I would personally like to hear about new and obscure bands that might be of interest to, well, the sort of people who love They. We are a discriminating breed, ain't we? Has anybody heard of "The Bobs"? I've never heard them, but they do sound promising. Anyone know anything about them? A pair of thighs on the back of my head? Pete One last P.S. - "Fleming & John" are playing on the Conan O'Brien show on March the 2nd. I caught them in a very tiny club last night. It was well worth the (5 dollar!?) cover price. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ See "Bardd Herebeorg" >>> "http://www2.coastalnet.com/~cn3765/index.html" "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." -- J.R.R. Tolkien *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- *-------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:00:27 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Naked TMBG concert Just a random muse: Doing the Conga would be very, very interesting. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Pat Buchanan will have it so that all of the white sheets he wears are made in America! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:59:55 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Mississippi Nights..another show..and Oklahoma On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > >ps would J&J be naked too? ;) > > > > Methinks that if the Johns appeared without clothes, we could possibly > > muster enough Oklahomans to make the concert a reality! :) > > Please. You must mean OklaHOMOS. > Now, there are WOMEN in OK, as well..... I'm sure that was what was meant. Ya silly! :) Luv, 'Nette ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:18:42 -0500 (EST) From: Kathy Lawrence Subject: Another #1... Sorry this is a little dated, but I just thought of it in poetry class today. The #1 reason to go to the Oklahoma TMBG flesh fest... To see the best mind of you generation, starving, hysterical, naked! ------------------------------ From: John Koch Subject: Tribute Album Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:27:42 -0800 Hello All- I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ at our campus radio = station, and he said that there was a tmbg tribute album in the works, = with pearl jam covering Particle Man. Just wondering if anyone else has = heard about it. -John ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:36:47 -0500 Subject: Tiny Toons It was probably my comment about hearing Them for the first time on TT. I thank God that someone working on that show liked J&J, otherwise I probably never would have heard Them in my life. Thanks to everyone who told me the answer to my A.K.A. Driver question. This list is so awesome. I love you guys! (Beezus, you're not getting our Bud-lite!), Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:40:09 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: the Fleshmaster thanks you Thanks for all the slogans, ad ideas, and top ten lists...they are hilarious (and informative)... So far, the honor of best slogan must go to Miss Trace, who has shown much appreciated enthusiasm for the project: GIANT FLESH FEST - all nudity, no Coolio and best Ad, by that wacky-Woody-Allen-loving-Aggie, Jenny: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ YOU, my friends, yes YOU are cordially invited to attend... * * * F L E S H F E S T ' 9 6 * * * Appearing (in the Flesh, no less...) THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS! BARENAKED LADIES! and a special appearance... FLESHTUG! When: Where: A big field in Oklahoma, baby! Why: Good question... THEY MIGHT BE NAKED...COME AND FIND OUT... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:04:36 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-54 > Funny thing is: _I_ started getting these 'not so fresh' feelings > myself...except it was not with John Henry... > I was disappointed in the 'transitional' sounds of Apollo 13 when it > first came out. Infact A13 is probably my least favorite THEY album... > that STILL puts it ahead of every other album by any other band in the > universe, though. > Eventually, however, the full band sound did grow on me...so > when John Henry was released...I was much more ready to accept it. That's pretty funny. I work at a Blockbuster Video (evil... EVIL!!!), and was always saying Apollo 18 instead of 13 when it came out, but on a more important note: -John Henry is a pretty decent album, but it's infinitely inferior to previous efforts. The lyrics are not quite up to snuff, but I can deal with that. It's the music that disappointed me the most. -The lack of accordian is almost inexcusable. Subliminal and Meet James Ensor really stand out from thew rest of the tracks, and I think I know why. -The sounds are simply more conventional. I first got into TMBG as an alternative to guitar-heavy rock groups, and now we see John and John leaning towards this trend. There is absolutely no need for a blazing guitar solo in No One Knows My Plan, when a trumpet solo would have been so much more appropriate. Also, in almost any other case, I would consider a live drummer superior to a drum machine. But the Johns have created such varied and interesting rhythms in the past that Brian Doherty's pounding seems very lackluster and mainstream. -Even their older material suffers when played in this context. There is absolutely no comparison between Dr. Spock and Live In NYC. They need the accordian and various horns they've had in the past. -Disclaimer: I know I sound very angry. This is not to say I don't like John Henry. It's miles ahead of any other rock albums in my colection (ska albums, that's a different story). I just yearn for the older days. This last tour was such a disappointment... -Slacker Ng, the Cynic. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:08:30 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Tribute Album On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, John Koch wrote: > Hello All- > > I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ at our campus radio station, and he said that there was a tmbg tribute album in the works, with pearl jam covering Particle Man. Just wondering if anyone else has heard about it. > > -John > Pearl Jam? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo....... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:08:37 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Tribute Album At 02:27 PM 2/23/96 -0800, you wrote: >Hello All- > >I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ at our campus radio station, and he said that there was a tmbg tribute album in the works, with pearl jam covering Particle Man. Just wondering if anyone else has heard about it. > I know that there is a tribute album coming out, (allready has J&J's permission) because a friend of mine is singing on it. I do not think however, that any well known bands such as pearl jam are going to be performing on it. I have to check back with him on the status of the tribute album though.. Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:11:24 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: John Henry I would like to agree with previous opinions that John Henry is absolutely awesome. I think that many of the older albums, while really good, seem to lack alot of the music that is present in John Henry (I know that the whole band being there is quite a large influence). I can also understand that many people would like the older stuff because it is just the two Johns, but that doesn't make John Henry worse. It just makes it a different album. Personally, I think it is one of the better ones because there aren't any songs on it that I really don't like. I have few albums that have that quality. If They kept coming out with albums with just John and John, it would get extremely repetitive. Well, that's my $.02 on the whole issue. I know quite a few people who have the very same opinion of TMBG. *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:20:47 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: Tribute Album I can't see any other band playing TMBG songs correctly. It seems as though tribute albums are never as good as the real thing... Not to rain on anybody's parade, I just thought I'd give ya'll my opinion :) On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, John Koch wrote: > Hello All- > > I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ at our campus radio station, and he said that there was a tmbg tribute album in the works, with pearl jam covering Particle Man. Just wondering if anyone else has heard about it. > > -John > *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:35:30 -0500 (EST) From: Philip Brenner Subject: Re: Tribute Album The thought of listening to Pearl Jam sing the magnificent lyrics of J&J makes me want to climb a tall office building...and jump off. :P For that matter, i'd rather not hear any "pseudo-alternatrash" (ie: Green Day, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.) playing any TMBG. Nauseating, i say, nauseating. "who is that masked man?"--flip On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Willy Nunn wrote: > At 02:27 PM 2/23/96 -0800, you wrote: > >Hello All- > > > >I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a DJ at our campus radio > station, and he said that there was a tmbg tribute album in the works, with > pearl jam covering Particle Man. Just wondering if anyone else has heard > about it. > > > I know that there is a tribute album coming out, (allready has J&J's > permission) because a friend of mine is singing on it. I do not think > however, that any well known bands such as pearl jam are going to be > performing on it. I have to check back with him on the status of the tribute > album though.. > Wilbz > __________________________________________________ > |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| > |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| > |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | > |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | > |That I'll never see that recipe again" | > | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | > |_________________________________________________| > |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | > |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | > |_________________________________________________| > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:11:35 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) To all who care, OK. Here's my opinion. When I first got JH, I wasn't impressed. However, after listneing more, I started to like it. Yet I have a problem with something: No one has mentioned my personal favorite song on JH yet-- Destination Moon. I think that DM is a classig TMBG song. My friend, who isn't into TMBG, says that she can tell whenever I'm listening to it, because I start to 'bob my head', and, acording to her, DM is a true 'head-bobbing' song. And I'd also like to say that Lincoln is my personal favorite, mostly because of Ana Ng, and Santa's Beard. Of course, those are my opinions, and we all know what they're worth. So, to sum this up, JH pleases me. It leaves me happy. But it's not even close to their best. And, to add to a thread that never really started, Holiday is my personal fav by Weezer. See ya, Brendan Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:35:41 -0500 Subject: Re: slogan ideas >Hey I wonder, will we be >allowed to wear hats? I wouldn't want to get sunburned... As long as they are the "new tour hats"... you know, guitars and accordians and other such things... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:35:45 -0500 Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) > i don't >know...maybe everyone else listens to tmbg just as frequently and i'm sort of >a heretic. how about it guys? how much tmbg is enough? yes, you are a heretic :) ;) :7 ;7 ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:36:26 -0500 Subject: Re: Tiny Toons I wanted to make a comment on this tiny toons thing, although it was my first TMBG exposure (and for that I'm very grateful) I've heard some very bad things about it... I've been told that when the Johns gave permission for Their song to be used on the show that they were under the impression that it was a sort of traditional Looney Toons thing with Buggs and such and that they were not at all pleased when they saw the result. It's rather ironic that this was probably one of the biggest contributing factor to the success of that album. Oh well, I'm still a grateful PuppetHead... :) me who likes flood but does not like flood but does like flood ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 21:11:26 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Tribute Album On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Philip Brenner wrote: > The thought of listening to Pearl Jam sing the magnificent lyrics of J&J > makes me want to climb a tall office building...and jump off. :P For > that matter, i'd rather not hear any "pseudo-alternatrash" (ie: Green > Day, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.) playing any TMBG. > Nauseating, i say, nauseating. Perhaps it is just me, but I'd love to hear PJ cover a TMBG song. And I know that many people disagree with me, but I love PJ. In fact, it you ever have the chance, pick up a PJ bootleg. They are great. To elaborate, PJ is a good band in the studio. However, they are incredible live (on tape). They've done covers of John Lennon, the Who, and many others. I know that many will disagree with me, but them's my opinions. Brendan Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 20:34:39 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> About this Oklahoma flesh fest thing...this would ROCK! I'm the Nebraska person who posts every now and then to just bitch n' moan about living in Nebraska--OKlahoma is as close to Lincoln, NE as They're ever gonna get, with or without clothes. I'm there. :) And to the Oklahoma guy--I know what you mean about the singles being impossible to find around here. The only single I have ever seen anywhere in Lincoln or Omaha is Why Does The Sun Shine, so I snatched that sucker up fast. (I'm afraid that if I ordered from the info club, I'd be in grad school in another state by the time they arrived.) And I think it's been months and months since I've ever heard a TMBG song on the radio. No one around here seems to share my love for Them. Sigh. --Tara Oh, and if anyone out there happens to be a Twin Peaks fan--happy Twin Peaks Day (the seventh anniversary of Laura Palmer's death). You would think that whoever made up this Twin Peaks Day thing could have at least picked something a little happier to commemorate. Oh well. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 02:48:02 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: First exposure to J&J, and other tidbits I'm reading through all of the notes flying back & forth and it strikes me as a little odd that a lot of you were first exposed to TMBG on the Tiny Toons show. Isn't there anyone out there who remembers the world premiere of "Don't Let's Start" back in 1986 on AL-TV ("Weird AL" Yankovic took over empty-v for a day). He harolded them as the next great thing in Accordion-driven rock & roll (how right he was)!!!! That is what made me go out and buy the first album on casette. Ive gotten every one on the day it was released since! Geez..I'm only 25 and already I feel old! I think we all owe a great big thanks to AL for showing unto this world such musical greatness! Also, I got my local radio station (99x) to play "Birdhouse..." by calling them incessantly until they did. After 25-30 calls they finally gave in and played it. In full support of the OK FleshFest, I offer up the following : The most likely overheard phrases at FleshFest '96: "So...Is THAT why you're called Particle Man?" Also: "She really IS actual size!" Also: "Hey! it's chess-piece- --" (oh, never mind!) A Slogan--"Bring your 'its not my birthday' suit" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 21:45:03 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: Tribute Album On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, John Henry wrote: > On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Philip Brenner wrote: > > > The thought of listening to Pearl Jam sing the magnificent lyrics of J&J > > makes me want to climb a tall office building...and jump off. :P For > > that matter, i'd rather not hear any "pseudo-alternatrash" (ie: Green > > Day, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.) playing any TMBG. > > Nauseating, i say, nauseating. > > Perhaps it is just me, but I'd love to hear PJ cover a TMBG song. And I > know that many people disagree with me, but I love PJ. In fact, it you > ever have the chance, pick up a PJ bootleg. They are great. To elaborate, > PJ is a good band in the studio. However, they are incredible live (on > tape). They've done covers of John Lennon, the Who, and many others. I > know that many will disagree with me, but them's my opinions. now that's a nauseating thought, PJ doing Lennon, that's blasphemy. same with the who. they also did some pink floyd that sucked. I can't think of anyone that might even remotely do TMBG well. maybe Phish? hmm.... i wanna here TMBG do the Monkees! that would rule... Doug ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 03:29:53 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: Tribute album? Although a tribute album would be cool to show hommage to the musical dieties of J&J, THe suggestion that PJ cover Particle man is silly. If they are going to rip up the classics like that, we might as well see also: Metallica covering "Don't Let's Start" Yanni covering "Minimum Wage" Roger Waters covering "Toddler Hiway" The Three Tenors (Pavoratti, Domingo and the other guy) covering "O, Do Not Forsake Me" Rush covering "A Self Called Nowhere" Tony Bennett covering "Istambul..." "Weird Al" covering "The Famous Polka" (okay, that one's not SO far fetched!) Duran-Duran covering "She Was A Hotel Detective" R.E.M covering "I Palendrome I" ---AL ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 03:18:21 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: A little more on FleshFest Also Overheard: "I'm the biggest one! I'm the biggest one!" (sorry, just could'nt resist!) ;) I would be 200% in favor of this fictitious event if we could have an opening act like Juliana Hatfield! Any other openers? It could be a lolla-flesh-looza! y'know, this subject is a LOT more fun to think about than where Ana Ng is from or who would win a Particle Man fight! Only one thing...WHere would you put your car keys? ----Al, who thinks the way Jenny signs her notes is really cool! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 23:07:46 -0500 Subject: The merest ideas... that by random whim ocurred to me: 1. I had no idea Weird Al "broke" TMBG on MTV. I love him. 2. John Henry is rather sacred to me, being my first TMBG cd, but I appreciate the sane, respectful, thoughtful criticism--nice change from the cruel JH bashing I encountered when I first started reading the newsgroup (which I read long before finally making my way onto the mailing list). 3. Does the guy listed in the credits for the whipcrack on "Minimum Wage" also do the yell? I'd assume so, but we should never assume anything about They. 4. I would like to hear TMBG do the following covers: "Sloop John B." (the Beach Boys) -- a great seafaring tune in the tradition of "Mr. Me" and "Women and Men." If you've never heard it, call up your local oldies station and request it RiGHT NOW! "Take On Me" (a-ha)--After hearing the Back to Skull version of "Hotel Detective," I just know Flans could handle the high notes. "American Pie" (Don Maclean)--Mainly because I think it makes a good companion piece with "Purple Toupee" (both are first person accounts of historical events that ocurred roughly around the same time period described in a poetic way that doesn't make any sense unless you know what they are referring to, but are still enjoyable even if you don't). Well, I won't take up any more of y'all's time and mail space. Thanks for reading! Kay, trying not to think too much about finally seeing TMBG live on March 21st (or else she may need a sedative) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 23:45:37 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Tribute album? >If they are going to rip up the classics like that, we might as well see also: > >Metallica covering "Don't Let's Start" >Yanni covering "Minimum Wage" >Roger Waters covering "Toddler Hiway" >The Three Tenors (Pavoratti, Domingo and the other guy) covering "O, Do Not >Forsake Me" >Rush covering "A Self Called Nowhere" >Tony Bennett covering "Istambul..." >"Weird Al" covering "The Famous Polka" (okay, that one's not SO far fetched!) >Duran-Duran covering "She Was A Hotel Detective" >R.E.M covering "I Palendrome I" A friend of mine (the same one who is performing on the tribute album) sent me this a while ago. He said he got it off the newsgroup so many of you might have seen it but it does fit the general idea: Frank Black "Dead" Freedy Johnston "Lucky Ball & Chain" Elvis Costello "Ana Ng" The Roches "She's An Angel" Lisa Loeb "Minimum Wage" Juliana Hatfield "Mammal" Bjork "Extra Savoir Faire" Red Hot Chili Peppers "They Might Be Giants" Aaron Neville "Youth Culture Killed My Dog" Boyz 2 Men "Chess Piece Face" Enya "Snail Shell" Pete Townsend "Hearing Aid" Snoop Doggy Dogg "Out of Jail" Mariah Carey "Spider" Tony Bennett "Dig My Grave" Madonna "The Biggest One" The Four Lads "Istanbul" Michael Bolton "Purple Toupee" Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 00:22:08 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: will this get through sorry, for this message but the list has been turning down my mail lately for some reason... as for John Henry, while it's not as good as i hoped, End of the Tour, No One Knows My Plan, and Self Called Nowhere rock... jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter _______________________________________________________________________ jenn 'sunny' schival "When I was young, all I wanted was to be ruler of the universe. Now that isn't enough." -- Alex P. Keaton ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 21:44:50 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: Tiny Toons I was in the computer room, on the phone with my friend (door closed), and my little sister(9years old) comes running in and says "TMBG is on Tiny Toons" (every time it comes on I watch just enought to make sure it's not THE EPISODE with TMBG videos) I say "gotta go" to Angela (read Ana Ng, just kidding=)slam down the phone and run into the family room which has the TV on. The last half of Particle Man plays out. I turn to my sister, Jessie, "Was Istanbul already on?" "I don't know, is that the one with New York in it?"says Jessie. "Why didn't you come get me as soon as the episode started?" I practically yell "I don't know"speaks the child. Truly, I live among the unenlightened. I was sure my sisters would recognize Them, they've heard Them enough times. Also in the episode, if you have the whole episode on tape there's a scene with a wall of phones that all the loyal fans are supposed to call in on and they have names like china, canda,russia, and then towards the end of the wall there is a phone clearly labeled "ISTANBUL" and later on in the episode one of the backup singers in the library reminds me one of Them and a jury member reminds me of the other one.(pardon the "this one, that one" stuff I'm terrible with faces and names. me who wonders if this is cool enough to put on the net and is just writing like this cause me wants to be part of the crowd. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 01:35:20 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: Re: Tiny Toons >I was in the computer room, on the phone with my friend (door closed), and >my little sister(9years old) comes running in and says "TMBG is on Tiny >Toons" (every time it comes on I watch just enought to make sure it's not >THE EPISODE with TMBG videos) I say "gotta go" to Angela (read Ana Ng, just >kidding=)slam down the phone and run into the family room which has the TV >on. The last half of Particle Man plays out. I turn to my sister, Jessie, >"Was Istanbul already on?" i saw it! i saw it! i love it... i'm now happy... jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter _______________________________________________________________________ jenn 'sunny' schival "When I was young, all I wanted was to be ruler of the universe. Now that isn't enough." -- Alex P. Keaton ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 01:55:29 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: The merest ideas... > 3. Does the guy listed in the credits for the whipcrack on "Minimum Wage" > also do the yell? I'd assume so, but we should never assume anything about > They. Nope, it's Flans. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 02:01:34 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) > with something: No one has mentioned my personal favorite song on JH > yet-- Destination Moon. I think that DM is a classig TMBG song. My O Unobservant One (jk), I mentioned it in my message as one of the examples of what great things they can do with a full band. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 02:04:45 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: this has nothing to do with TMBG, it's seriously important though. >Friends, > >My twelve year old sister has Leukemia and needs a bone marrow transplant >to survive, but has no blood-related siblings. Her name is Karen, and she >is 1/2 Korean and 1/2 North American (European descendants). Finding out >whether or not one is an appropriate donor requires only a blood test. All >expenses for the donor will of course be paid. If you are or know anyone >who is of like origin, please email me as soon as possible at >. I would also appreciate your sharing this message >with the people you know. Karen's doctors are searching through the >registered >donor list, and haven't had much luck. Our best bet is to find someone >who is not yet registered as a donor. I welcome any suggestions you have, >and >appreciate your concern. > >Thank you > > >Hopefully you may know someone and you could let you friends and family know. > Thanks! Speak to you again soon. David. > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-55 *****************************