Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-56 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 56 Sunday, 25 February 1996 Today's Topics: Jen removes her foot from her mouth... Re: A little more on FleshFest Don't Let's Start et al Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: Don't Let's Start et al mattman on JH TRIBUTE ALBUM????? Re: Unrelated things Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: First exposure to J&J, and other tidbits tribute album a go go Get a dose of comedy Ye Olde Tribute Albume mercury shows Apollo 13 It's Not My Birthday Moxy Tribute Re: CAPS... Re: more fun confused lyrics Re: Tiny Toons Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume Re: CAPS... OK fest Tribute Re: CAPS... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 02:52:06 -0600 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: Jen removes her foot from her mouth... At 4:59 pm 2/23/96, Jeanette, the lost Warner sib wrote: >On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > >> >> > >ps would J&J be naked too? ;) >> > >> > Methinks that if the Johns appeared without clothes, we could possibly >> > muster enough Oklahomans to make the concert a reality! :) >> >> Please. You must mean OklaHOMOS. >> >Now, there are WOMEN in OK, as well..... I'm sure that was what was meant. >Ya silly! :) >Luv, >'Nette Uhm... Actually, I just got the implications of what I said. I apologize, it's been a very long week, and I'm tired to the point where I talk before I think... Earlier, someone had posted that the OK FleshFest would never work because nobody in Oklahoma would be interested in going. My intention was to give the impression that the sight of John and John in all of their naked glory would be an inspring enough of a sight to get tose people to show up. I meant no harm to the Johns, or to the residents of Oklahoma (though Texas is still a far superior state. Deal.) I think I will have to get some sleep before I post anything else... ________________ Jenna Davis, the only bee in your bonnet. jenna@onramp.net "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." -From "The Princess Bride" ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 08:12:18 -0500 Subject: Re: A little more on FleshFest >I would be 200% in favor of this fictitious event if we could have an opening >act like Juliana Hatfield! Any other openers? It could be a >lolla-flesh-looza! you just wanna see Julianna Hatfield naked ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 09:04:24 -0500 From: cn3765@coastalnet.com (Williams) Subject: Don't Let's Start et al Dear Mr. Oklahoma (and the envy of all your friends, just for being from where you're being from), I (the guy who started the JH thread and rambled incessantly about Mellowdramatic Wallflowers)) mentioned "Don't Let's Start" as one of my . I suspect that many others love it as well... but maybe that one almost goes without saying. Maybe people are digging for less widely acknowledged TMBG hits. Who knows? I've been wrong before. Opinions of DLS? Has anyone (out there) ever heard "The Swamp Zombies" or "Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet"? Been humming "They'll Need A Crane" lately. Pete P.S. I unconsciously (!) listen to TMBG (nearly) every day. P.P.S. Things in brackets are italicized in my little world, by the way. P.P.P.S. Does anybody think I might have a problem being concise? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ See "Bardd Herebeorg" >>> "http://www2.coastalnet.com/~cn3765/index.html" "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." -- J.R.R. Tolkien *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- *-------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:30:51 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) > > not Theirs, expect for Subliminal, NKMP, and End of the Tour, and maybe a few > wow! are you kidding? is this for real? once a day for each album? once > a week for all the others? now, i'm a big fan, but...have you considered > expanding your horizons? unless i am under the influence of a tmbg attack > (not uncommon) i usually listen to about two albums or singles a week. and > i have all their stuff. sheesh. haveyou considered getting help?:) i don't > know...maybe everyone else listens to tmbg just as frequently and i'm sort of > a heretic. how about it guys? how much tmbg is enough? Wow! I almost always end my day with Flood (Birdhouse is a lovely going to sleep song) and usually listen to at least an album a day. If Pearl Jam covered Particle Man, I would be tempted to throw myself off a building. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:42:49 -0500 Subject: Re: Don't Let's Start et al >I (the guy who started the JH thread and rambled incessantly about >Mellowdramatic Wallflowers)) mentioned "Don't Let's Start" as one of my >. I suspect that many others love it as well... but >maybe that one almost goes without saying. Maybe people are digging for less >widely acknowledged TMBG hits. Who knows? I've been wrong before. Opinions >of DLS? DLS is a true TMBG classic, but then there are tons of TMBG classics, aren't there? I'm kind of surprised that it didn't become a smash since it's probably one of their more radio-friendly tunes. I for one find it impossible to get sick of it >Has anyone (out there) ever heard "The Swamp Zombies" >or "Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet"? > >Been humming "They'll Need A Crane" lately. >Pete > >P.S. I unconsciously (!) listen to TMBG (nearly) every day. > >P.P.S. Things in brackets are italicized in my little world, by the way. > >P.P.P.S. Does anybody think I might have a problem being concise? > > > ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:43:00 -500 (EST) Subject: mattman on JH When I first got John Henry, I was rather disappointed. I basically felt the same way many people on this list feel now, that it was still miles ahead of non-TMBG albums, but not quite up to par with the rest. But as I listened more and more, it grew to be my favorite They album. I think that the calm, chilling "Dirt Bike" was the clincher. But I agree that there is an uncomfortable leaning towards guitar-driven rock. I think that JH is a masterpiece, but They can achieve much more if They can intergrate the full band sound with more synth work like on the first two albums. As far as Brian Doherty, I too thought that They used some of the most innovative drum programming I'd ever heard. That's why I was so impressed with Doherty, as his drum parts are just as fresh, not the "choose a beat and stick with it, do a fill every eight measures" mentality that every drummer (and industrial drum programmer) seems to settle for. mattman ------------------------------ From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:48:00 -500 (EST) Subject: TRIBUTE ALBUM????? Is there REALLY going to be a tribute album for TMBG coming out?? I mean, I already knew this tribute album thing was already way overboard, but this is even more ridiculous. I don't see the need for tributes for bands that are only ten years old and still going strong. Aside from that, of the several tribute albums I have heard, only _I Predict A Clone_, a Steve Taylor tribute album, has actually been worthwhile. All the rest have been Single-Of-The-Moment bands doing straight-ahead covers of the originals. I really hope there is not a TMBG tribute coming out. At least not yet. mattman ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:04:39 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: Unrelated things Really? I hate to say it, as you cats all seem to be such fans of the song in question, but I'd have to say the same about "Sleeping in the Flowers" and would say the same for "Snail Shell" if not for the nifty bass on said song. Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I find that I do not love Unrelated Things, it would be my #20 song on > JH if I were to rate them in order of how I like each song. > Matt > -- > ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush > Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 12:12:34 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, Ryan Staib wrote: > O Unobservant One (jk), I mentioned it in my message as one of the > examples of what great things they can do with a full band. Sorry. My bad. All these messages, and I missed that. Brendan (the unobservant one) Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, Declaring us the nicest of the damned." -'Road Movie to Berlin' They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:30:26 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: First exposure to J&J, and other tidbits I wasn't exposed to TMBG (sounds like getting a disease) by T.V or radio until after I had a few albums. I first heard Them when I was visiting my cousin who was, at the time, a big fan (sadly now he only listens to Ska). I liked it but didn't go out and buy anything (I was in elementry school) until my freshmen year in highschool when I put my friends copy of "Spider" and "The Guitar" on the soundtrack of a movie we were making. It was those 2 songs that got me hooked. Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 15:46:52 E Subject: tribute album a go go Somehow, the image of Eddie Vedder cranking out Particle Man makes me feel a wee bit strange inside...I have heard of no such thing but I think if it existed it would be quite a pisser! Tracy How about Barry Manilow: Stomp Box The Osmonds: Hall of Heads U2: Purple Toupee enya: Cage and Aquarium ooh I feel a top ten list coming on...stay tuned ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:09:05 EST Subject: Get a dose of comedy I, too, first saw TMBG on Tiny Toons. I was babysitting and I remember thinking, "Wow, this is a wicked funny band! Oh well, I'll probably never hear anything about them again..." A couple of weeks later I was at a party and I picked up this tape case with a yellow cover, and - lo - it was TMBG Flood!!! I was totally excited. I've been a loyal fan ever since. :) About the JH dissing thread :) I really love JH, though I think Apollo18 might be my fave. I am surprised to find that so many people find A18 to be their fave, too. I was once told that "any self-respecting tmbg fan thinks Lincoln was their best album." You gotta wonder sometimes... Finally, about the misunderstood lyrics, I read some post where somebody thought it was "Big Head Todd 120!" How nutty! That's what I thought at first too!!!! My friend Denise and I would laugh every time and say "Ha, the Johns must like Big Head Todd, too!" Wacky.... :) -Tara ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:15:24 E Subject: Ye Olde Tribute Albume Okay, I have completely finished reading all of my mail about this alleged tribute album, and I just can't take this seriously. First of all, TMBG doesn't seem mainstreamy enough to warrant a tribute album. Do you think the most popular "alternative" bands of the day are going to take the time to record a They song -- they probably don't even know who They are. Secondly, the list of people who are supposed to sing for them is quite a joke (Mariah Carey singing Spider? puh-leeze) Thirdly, I don't really know, but it seem just like a farfetched rumor which I should have included on my top ten list in the first place. Fourthly, if this album ever comes out, I think I will just about fall over and die. I just don't want to get all excited about some tribute album (oh Paul Simon's covering Hot Cha!) and then find out it was some joke and a bunch of you are laughing at anyone who "fell for it" Forgive my cynicism, Tracy aka Benjamin the Donkey Also for your viewing pleasure: Tracy's Top Ten Bands Appearing on the TMBG tribute album: 10. Roy Orbison 9. Perry Como 8. Frank Sinatra 7. White Zombie 6. The Partridge Family 5. Soulace (local Scranton band (: ) 4. Freddy Schumacher and the Happy Polka Trio 3. LL Cool J 2. Queen Latifah and the number one, your favorite and mine (gag): 1. Coolio (singing "Giants' Paradise") stay sharp...use the Force ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 96 16:31:45 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: mercury shows can anyone please send me info on the mercury shows?? thanks... jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter... _______________________________________________________________________ jenn 'sunny' schival "When I was young, all I wanted was to be ruler of the universe. Now that isn't enough." -- Alex P. Keaton ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Apollo 13 Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:54:23 -0500 (EST) > > > so utterly amazed at every other TMBG release that I couldn't help but be > > just disappointed. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any > > interesting songs... there definitely are (Sleeping In The Flowers and I > > Should Be Allowed To Think, among others, come to mind). But after a > > masterpiece like "Apollo 18"... it's a bit anticlimactic. It seems like > > their older albums were masterpieces. I'm all for the "full band" > > approach - and I like the new (...have been joined by...) members. I just > > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? > > > > Funny thing is: _I_ started getting these 'not so fresh' feelings > myself...except it was not with John Henry... > I was disappointed in the 'transitional' sounds of Apollo 13 when it > first came out. Infact A13 is probably my least favorite THEY album... > that STILL puts it ahead of every other album by any other band in the > universe, though. > Eventually, however, the full band sound did grow on me...so > when John Henry was released...I was much more ready to accept it. > > Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Apollo 13 was a great movie! Unfortunately it wasn't a TMBg album ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: It's Not My Birthday Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:14:59 -0500 (EST) > > Sorry... I REALLY didn't mean to belittle INMB. > > Truth is, it's one of my favorite songs. > > > don't hear a "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" or a "Don't Let's Start" or a "Turn > > Around" or a "Letterbox" or even (really) an "It's Not My Birthday" on "John > > Henry". Does anyone feel the way I do? > Is this a bit of a cut on It's not My Birthday? I would probably say > that INMB is better than all of these songs listed with the possible > exception of Turn Around. > > I can understand how you could get that from what I wrote. What I really > meant to indicate with my "or even (really)" was not that the song was > inferior but that it had been available only as a "B" for a long time, and > is less widely known. Looking at it, I could definitely have chosen better > words. Sorry. I, too, love getting this song stuck in my head for hours on > end. I wouldn't, however, belittle the other songs the way you have... the > ones I listed were only 3 in a million I could have chosen. I don't mean to belittle other songs, I'm just saying that I prefer those songs in that order. I could say that, as an example, Unrelated things, is my least favorite TMBG song and that all of the otthers are better, but Unrelated things might be better than all other songs by all other artists and then most likely it would appear that that song is pretty fantastic. I don't think we should get caught up in this idea of belittle songs, people will always like certain songs more than other ones, precisely because every song is different from each other. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Moxy Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:21:05 -0500 (EST) On a little side related note, I saw the SouthWest airlines commercial they've been playing and I swear it is Moxy Fruvous doing the music for that commercial! It is incredibly cool. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:21:01 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Tribute Here are some of the nastiest mismatches I could think of. Some of them are funny, if you try to picture the band actually trying to do the song, while some are just wrong. Dead - Megadeth Stomp Box - Boys II Men Chess Piece Face - Crash Test Dummies Spider - Metallica (they are the ultimate anti-humor band) James K. Polk - Smashing Pumpkins w/special guest Henry Rollins I could go on, but you get the point already. I wanted to do a top ten, but a) there are only 5, and b) these aren't really funny enough to merit a top ten. - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:52:11 -0500 Subject: Re: CAPS... LEAVE BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF HE USES ALL CAPS! IS IT BURNING A HOLE IN YOUR HEADS? LETTERS ARE LETTERS, WORDS ARE WORDS! HOW CAN YOU BE THIS PREJUDICED AGAINST SOMEONE WHO TYPES IN ALL CAPS? DON'T YOU HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE ARE PREJUDICED AGAINST YOU FOR LISTENING TO TMBG? LAY OFF! I'M SURE YOU'RE ALL MATURE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH CAPITAL LETTERS. SORRY IF I GOT A LITTLE STEAMED, BROTHER JOHNBEEZUS P.S.- I ALSO LOVE HIS "CONVERSATION" SIG SO DON'T EVEN START ON THAT ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:52:34 -0500 Subject: Re: more fun confused lyrics In a message dated 96-02-22 10:18:29 EST, mattman writes: >The thread of "Big hand's on 120, little hand's on E" thread reminded >me of my biggest lyrical error: > >Big Head Todd one-twenty, little hand on tea > >thank you, and goodnight. > >-mattman Yeah! For a while I too thought it was Big Head Todd! Small world, Brother JohnBeezus ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 00:51:14 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Tiny Toons Ruprecht76@aol.com writes: >I've been told that when the Johns gave permission for Their song to be used >on the show that they were under the impression that it was a sort of >traditional Looney Toons thing with Buggs and such and that they were not at >all pleased when they saw the result. Indeed, They were unaware of just how Tiny the Toons were, and John F. seemed a bit disgusted both with the concept of the show (he also had some choice, albeit impolite, remarks about the Muppet Babies...) and his newfound association with it. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:00:50 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume >Tracy's Top Ten Bands Appearing on the TMBG tribute album: > >10. Roy Orbison ^^^^^^^^^^^ This alone would be worth the price of the record, but I doubt that they could arrange it... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:14:59 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: CAPS... BROTHER JOHNBEEZUS writes: >LEAVE BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF HE USES >ALL CAPS! IS IT BURNING A HOLE IN YOUR HEADS? Actually, for your information, it *is* burning a hole in my head (which is downright annoying, not to mention embarrassing) and I'm not happy about it. No sir, not one bit! >P.S.- I ALSO LOVE HIS "CONVERSATION" SIG SO DON'T EVEN START ON THAT No, don't let's. m@t (Who in honor of certain list members has written his signature using only the capital letter "Q") --- QQQQ QQQ QQQQ QQQQ QQQQ QQQQQ - QQ Q QQQQ QQQQQQQ? QQQ QQQQ... ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: OK fest Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:20:01 -0500 (EST) Speaking of pening bands for the Flesh-fest, I could see the Lords of Acid doing a flesh fest, they love that stuff and I'd love to see the leader singer naked , she is beautiful (course she did wear that teddy and the devil suit at the Sexorcista Ball ;) By the way, how would us East Coasters get out to Oaklahomo, anyone driving cross country? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Tribute Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:37:42 -0500 (EST) > Here are some of the nastiest mismatches I could think of. Some of them > are funny, if you try to picture the band actually trying to do the song, > while some are just wrong. > > Dead - Megadeth > Stomp Box - Boys II Men > Chess Piece Face - Crash Test Dummies > Spider - Metallica (they are the ultimate anti-humor band) > James K. Polk - Smashing Pumpkins w/special guest Henry Rollins I had a dream once where I went to Henry Rollins house for Christmas (don't ask me why!) and I remember dreading going into his house and when I got in there all I wanted to do was leave, and I think he tried to kill us, I think I woke up crying or something ;) Matt ooh the Crab Louse by Lords of Acid is on -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: CAPS... Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:45:26 -0500 (EST) > > LEAVE BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF HE USES > ALL CAPS! IS IT BURNING A HOLE IN YOUR HEADS? LETTERS ARE LETTERS, WORDS ARE > WORDS! HOW CAN YOU BE THIS PREJUDICED AGAINST SOMEONE WHO TYPES IN ALL CAPS? > DON'T YOU HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE ARE PREJUDICED AGAINST YOU FOR LISTENING TO > TMBG? LAY OFF! I'M SURE YOU'RE ALL MATURE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH CAPITAL > LETTERS. > SORRY IF I GOT A LITTLE STEAMED, > BROTHER JOHNBEEZUS Listen, for one thing, nobody is prejudiced against me for listening to TMBG. Secondly, if you had any ounce of knowledge about netiquette you would realize that capital letters are for shouting or for emphasis. You can either ignore this fact and be ignorant or you can be more intelligent and courteous and not type in all caps. Thank you. > P.S.- I ALSO LOVE HIS "CONVERSATION" SIG SO DON'T EVEN START ON THAT > Also, very long sigs do not follow netiquette and generally annoy people. If yours is over 10 lines you know it is way too long. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!-------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|Alphaville "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."|Enya|"Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp|Lush Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-56 *****************************