Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-58 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 58 Tuesday, 27 February 1996 Today's Topics: Shane Markle Re: Mono Puff TMBG Tribute Album Jimmy Fiveplex Cool if they did it Re: TMBG Tribute Album Concert Dates and Stuff I can't take it any longer Re: TMBG Tribute Album Something Interesting........ Hello, Hello. It's good to be back, it's good to be back! Re: Mono Puff Re: I can't take it any longer Northwestern tickets? Re: dare Flesh Fest '96 Stephen Talk House in NY Re: Cool if they did it Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume Stop! You're makin' me jealous! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-57 Re: Flesh Fest '96 Re: Why... Evil Plots! Re: Hello, Hello. It's good to be back, it's good to be back! Re: dare Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume Re: Jimmy Fiveplex Re: Stop! You're makin' me jealous! Re: Cool if they did it Re: Northwestern tickets? Re: Evil Plots! Re: Tribute Re: I can't take it any longer The current deal for TMBG at U of I Re: I can't take it any longer Re: brief glimpse of SenSurround Slow? MAINE Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Re: NDN: Slow? Re: NDN: Slow? Re: Evil Plots! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 08:45:46 E Subject: Shane Markle Yes I'm getting the same messages...I hope Shane empties his mailbox soon :7 T ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 09:36:21 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Mono Puff > I was searhcing for TMBG stuff on a info thingee at the record store, and > it had a cd by John F. called Mono Puff. Does anyone know anything else > about Mono Puff? > > Well I saw that one The Wall's cd thingy too. It had TBA next to it (to be annocued) and I asked the guy at the store about it and they said it may more may not be realsed in the store. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:42:00 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: TMBG Tribute Album OHHHHH! The Associated Press just sent out this bit of news that is quite interesting!!! NEW YORK, NY - The They Might Be Giants tribute album, which is going to be released soon, will include Michael Jackson doing the cover "Toddler Highway". The Michael Jackson camp has had no comment concerning the album or the song. John Flanburgh is quoted as saying "I think it's funny." :) grd ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:51:54 EST Subject: Jimmy Fiveplex The new and improved Jimmy Fiveplex: Meet James Ensor James K. Polk Welcome to the Jungle (Jim) The Guitar (Is it Jim?) They'll Need A Crane (Gal thinks Jim Bean...) Thanks to Jeanette, the lost Warner Sib and Jonathan Chaffer. Without their research, this could not have been possible. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:18:04 EST Subject: Cool if they did it Here we go: My list of 'if they did its' Lou Reed: No One Knows My Plan (duh) Hootie & the Blowfish: It's Not My Birthday Matthew Sweet: something, he's on every other trib album Dave Matthews Band: The Guitar Primus: Spy Green Day: Stomp Box want more? ask for 'em -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 10:18:09 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG Tribute Album > OHHHHH! The Associated Press just sent out this > bit of news that is quite interesting!!! > > NEW YORK, NY - The They Might Be Giants tribute > album, which is going to be released soon, will include > Michael Jackson doing the cover "Toddler Highway". The > Michael Jackson camp has had no comment concerning the > album or the song. John Flanburgh is quoted as saying > "I think it's funny." > > :) > > grd > Is this for real? If it is thats pretty damned funny.... :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 10:29:54 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Concert Dates and Stuff Does any one know of any concert dates comming up and where they are. If so please email me to me. I'll put them up in my web space and give the html to other people so they can have it to (incase something happens and its also nice to have things in more than one place :) As a side note for the Free Tape Thing I talked about a long time ago. My tape deck died like 2 weeks ago and I had to save for a new one so I'm back making tapes and I'm close to sending out the rest of the tapes right now. Anyway please check out http://www.clearlight.com/~dresko/trade for more info. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:48:45 -0600 From: Tharp Teri L Subject: I can't take it any longer Ok, I have been on this list for over a year, and I love it of course, like it is a life time supply of jelly bellies that I don't have to share. But now I must share a horror with all of you. I have never seen a They might be giants video--God help me!! I remember my first time with TMBG, it was Birdhouse, and the experience was spiritual to say the least, well that was almost three hellish and tormented years ago, and I have only had the benefit to see J&J perform the dirtbike song on one of those annoying morning talk shows. I have been to suncoast, and other video stores and they can never get the videos. I think I am going to completely lose it, if I haven't already, if my life is not further enlightened by rare glimpses of TMBG. Ok so I have aired my laundry to the world. ******************************************************************************** I stared at the sun until my eyes melted, and now I can see in a different light--Tama ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:50:49 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: TMBG Tribute Album I'm sorry.....it's not real.....forgive me. I just thought it was funny grd > From tmbg-list-owner@tmbg.org Mon Feb 26 10:44:47 1996 > Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 10:18:09 EST > From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG Tribute Album > > > OHHHHH! The Associated Press just sent out this > > bit of news that is quite interesting!!! > > > > NEW YORK, NY - The They Might Be Giants tribute > > album, which is going to be released soon, will include > > Michael Jackson doing the cover "Toddler Highway". The > > Michael Jackson camp has had no comment concerning the > > album or the song. John Flanburgh is quoted as saying > > "I think it's funny." > > > > :) > > > > grd > > > > Is this for real? If it is thats pretty damned funny.... :) > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:13:00 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Something Interesting........ Hey, Probably most of you on the list know the following address, but, I just happened to stumble upon it this morning. It's an interview with the John's in the John Henry era. It's address is: http://www.starnetinc.com/superthriller/month.html Happy Reading!!! grd ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:34:50 -0600 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Hello, Hello. It's good to be back, it's good to be back! ................................................................................ Hello, I just got a letter from the people at the Hello CD of the Month Club, asking me if I'd like to join up again for this year. So I called 1-800-HELLO-41 to see who is on this year's roster, and to my amazement: THIS YEAR, THE HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB IS PUTTING OUT A FULL-LENGTH CD OF JOHN FLANSBURG'S MONO PUFF! I am really excited about that! It does make me wonder why John and John haven't worked together much lately. I don't mean to start any rumors, and I haven't heard anything about this, but what if they have decided to just do solo projects for now. I would really mis They Might Be Giants. Let's hope I'm just paranoid. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:59:19 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Mono Puff On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > > I was searhcing for TMBG stuff on a info thingee at the record store, and it had a cd by John F. called Mono Puff. Does anyone know anything else about Mono Puff? > > > > > > Well I saw that one The Wall's cd thingy too. It had TBA next to it (to be annocued) and I asked the guy at the store about it and they said it may more may not be realsed in the store. Eh? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:39:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: I can't take it any longer It's ok - you're not the only one that hasn't seen any of Their videos. The only things that I have seen are the TTA "videos", and I caught the end of SOMETHING on Comedy Central that was set to Istanbul, though I don't know if it was a real video or just a promo for something. Ignorants, unite! Oh, I got an idea! Anyone want to make our OWN TMBG video? Ah, the awful ideas I have! Later, the cesspool of 'Nette's mind `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`' FLESH FEST '96: It's not just for breakfast anymore!!! *------------------------------------------------------------------ "I could never sleep my way to the top; 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - They, "Hey Mr. DJ" *------------------------------------------------------------------ " Goodnight, everybody!" - Yakko (all the time!) ,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,. ------------------------------ From: KEVINPM@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:10:13 -0500 (EST) Subject: Northwestern tickets? I am a very concerned TMBG fan and NEED to get tickets to the Northwestern show. Apparently they are only letting students buy tickets. So if anyone out there knows if they will be letting non-Northwestern students buy tickets PLEASE let me know. KEVIN- looking forward to being "Free in OK with THEY" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:28:58 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: dare On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I dare anyone to come up with a list of every song on every CD by TMBG > (or whatever you may have) in order of how you like them. Now I realize > this would be a daunting task and even more daunting as people's likes of > the Giants changes almost daily for some people. But if anyone can do it > you'd get gold stars from me!! And a nice handshake. > Matt SHUT UP! I'm sure, in fact POSITIVE, that 99% of this list, me included, is absolutely sick of this crap. I hate to say it, but the "useful information message/exercise in hitting the delete key ratio" has dropped to less than one in a hundred. PLEASE Ddo this worthless shit somewhere else...at least privately. erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 13:40:56 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Flesh Fest '96 Pardon me for not reading all of my mail when I get it, but what is flesh fest '96? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 13:53:16 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Stephen Talk House in NY I heard there was a concert there on March 16, I was wonder how safe of a place its in, and if they pat you down before you go in side and where in NY it is. Any info would help. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:23:12 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Cool if they did it On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > Here we go: > > My list of 'if they did its' > > Lou Reed: No One Knows My Plan (duh) > Hootie & the Blowfish: It's Not My Birthday > Matthew Sweet: something, he's on every other trib album > Dave Matthews Band: The Guitar > Primus: Spy > Green Day: Stomp Box > Oh god... that's pretty bad. Let's see if I can think of a dumber list... Nope, cant do it. Is your list a joke? I mean Hootie and the Blowfish? Dave Matthews? Jeeez!!!! (John's facetious list, to accompany Boba Fett's obviously less-than-serious list) Kenny G: Space Suit Michael Bolton: Hide Away Folk Family Naked City: Absolutely Bill's Mood The Eurythmics, Menudo, or MDC: Rhyth Section... Motorhead: Anything, it would kick ass What's with the 'duh' next to Lou Reed and No one knows my plan? My guess is that it 's refering to: 'duh, Lou Reed obviously shouldnt cover this, why would he?' That's what led me to believe that your whole list was full of crap. I mean Lou Reed IS known for his uptempo, Latin songs and all... Let's show a tad more respect for TMBG, ok? Thanks. Hootie and the Blowfish sucks, john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:59:11 -0500 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume At 04:15 PM 2/24/96 E, you wrote: >Okay, I have completely finished reading all of my mail about this >alleged tribute album, and I just can't take this seriously. Thanks for clearing up the tribute tape mess, whoever stated that this *wasn't* a big name thing. I'm surprised the thread went as long as it did, there must be others on this list who read the newsgroup besides me! And now I'm going to offer my opinion on tributes in general. The way I see it, tributes are great if you like the bands who are performing the songs, or if the band being honored has been gone for a while. But a tribute to a band that's still going strong isn't going to be well accepted by the fans of that band, simply because it implies that the band's career is over. One final point: Please don't trash other bands on this list. I respect everybody's opinions, but I happen to like Pearl Jam, Metallica, and most of the others that I see being treated as the "joke" bands of the list. It's very difficult for me to not post bitter flames whenever I see this kind of stuff. Please be kind, ok? Thanks a lot. Bob P.S. - To whomever said that the Tiny Toons were responsible for introducing most people to Flood, I beg to differ. First of all, the cartoon wasn't made until several years after the album was released. I remember a discussion about it on this list (or its ancestor at any rate) back when it premiered. Second of all, I agree with the Johns that Tiny Toons aren't worthy of their music. All of this is IMHO, of course. -- (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering These views are not the views of the University of Tennessee, a fact which should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. ------------------------------ From: benny79@ibm.net Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 20:19:32 +0000 Subject: Stop! You're makin' me jealous! Hello fellow subscribers. As you may or may not be aware, this is my first time writing in to the list. I'm sure nobody cares (sniff) about my boring life, so I'll just state what's been on my mind for the longest time. I live in Germany, and my dad works for IBM (note the clever prop- aganda on my E-Mail address). I've decided to pick some nits about something you people living in the good ol' U.S. of A. seem to think nothing of... the concerts given by Them. You all tend to take these gifts from the gods for granted. It makes my blood curdle to hear you gripe about concerts that you won't be able to see, about moshers plaguing the what should be "serene" floor, and on and on. They come to Germany approximately once every four years, and in my relatively short life I've only been able to see ONE (not 8 or 13 or 20 like some of you lucky people) because that was the only time they CAME to FRANKFURT, where I LIVE. Okay? Now, contrary to the subject heading, I don't want you to STOP talking about these qualms, but just know that no matter how many concerts you miss in America, I will be missing more here in Deutschland. I am not Deutsch, by the way. Don't regard this as a flame; I'm sorry if I got a little harsh. On another topic, the concert I DID see gave me a startling revela- tion. I always considered TMBG a band that loved what they did and that they wouldn't mind fans giving their imput once in a while. However, when Flans (playfully?) told the crowd to f*** off his equipment, and Linnell told a not-so-sober guy who was requesting some of his faves to be played that "We're just doing our job", this thought was weakened. Hope this don't discourage anybody. Well, that was my 2 cents and debut on the list. Remember, I don't need any flames because of what has been said, and I encourage all to keep writing freely about the concerts that you won't be able to see. Sigh. This is Benny 79 signing off. --------++++++++--------++++++++--------++++++++--------+++++++++---- ++++++++--------++++++++--------++++++++--------++++++++---------++++ Ben Campbell benny79@ibm.net CHOMBO Alpha Tango Bravo Goodbye fer now, auf wiedersehen! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:12:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Near, Eric" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-57 Organization: Ironton Jr Hi School (Ohio) To the guy about stompbox... I think it's like food. thay don't like the texture. :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:15:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Flesh Fest '96 On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > Pardon me for not reading all of my mail when I get it, but what is flesh fest '96? > "Flesh Fest" is a detail of some of the more fevered minds on this list. In essence, it is a large open-air concert in Oklahoma, at which cloting is frowned upon. (hence the "flesh") This is actually our own way of putting together a They concert - we figured if the entire list chipped in, we would be able to pay them for an appearance. The nudity was just to add a Woodstockian touch. (And to fufill the fantasies of the ladies who want to see J&J in their "It's Not My Birthday" suits (; ) Hope this helped, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`' FLESH FEST '96: It's not just for breakfast anymore!!! *------------------------------------------------------------------ "I could never sleep my way to the top; 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - They, "Hey Mr. DJ" *------------------------------------------------------------------ " Goodnight, everybody!" - Yakko (all the time!) ,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,. ------------------------------ From: c619888@showme.missouri.edu Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:36:06 -0600 (CST) Subject: Re: Why... > > Everyone seems to find Stompbox as their least favourite song. I would > like to hear all your reasonings on this, I could find songs that I found > much more annoying. I'm not asking to be flamed, I'm asking for bona-fide > answers. Yes, Stompbox is one of my very least favorites, too, and here's why. First of all, I'm not a big fan of Their louder, more metalic (and I use that term very loosely) songs. I prefer the bouncier, more melodious tunes. If you want a dramatic example, Sleeping in the Flowers combines these styles. Though I like the whole song, the chorus is prettier. Everyone drudges through the verse to bounce around to the chorus. Second, They growl the lyrics. I love and prefer Their singing voices. Third, from a musical standpoint, it's not that impressive. Fourth, it's not catchy. I've never lost concentration on anything because Stompbox was going through my head. It's just an overall lesser song of Theirs. I'm usually pretty annoyed when They play it in concert, too. -Lara ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:47:00 -0500 Subject: Evil Plots! When I was in Bio. today, we were doing this whole vertebrate thing that I did in fourth grade and the metabolism sure came up alot, so I said to the (student) teacher, "If I bring in a song about mammals can I get extra credit?" and she said sure, so... I"LL EXPOSE MY ENTIRE BIO CLASS TO TMBG! ...0 (I wouldn't have to use caps if we hadn't just had that whole discussion on CAPS) me who is slightly upset but not as much as the voices in my head that people have started using my me who end of lettter thing and is about to slap a patent on it ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:05:44 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: Hello, Hello. It's good to be back, it's good to be back! On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Scott Dodson wrote: > > > ................................................................................ > > > Hello, > > I just got a letter from the people at the Hello CD of the Month > Club, asking me if I'd like to join up again for this year. So I called > 1-800-HELLO-41 to see who is on this year's roster, and to my amazement: > > > THIS YEAR, THE HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB IS PUTTING OUT A FULL-LENGTH CD > OF JOHN FLANSBURG'S MONO PUFF! > > > I am really excited about that! It does make me wonder why John > and John haven't worked together much lately. I don't mean to start any > rumors, and I haven't heard anything about this, but what if they have > decided to just do solo projects for now. I would really mis They Might Be > Giants. Let's hope I'm just paranoid. > > Scott > > > ................................................................................ > > > > > That is just no fair, finally, an extremely worth-while year , and I'm without a job, and in debt...life sucks sometimes...sigh... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:07:17 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: dare On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > I dare anyone to come up with a list of every song on every CD by TMBG > > (or whatever you may have) in order of how you like them. Now I realize > > this would be a daunting task and even more daunting as people's likes of > > the Giants changes almost daily for some people. But if anyone can do it > > you'd get gold stars from me!! And a nice handshake. > > Matt > > SHUT UP! I'm sure, in fact POSITIVE, that 99% of this list, me > included, is absolutely sick of this crap. I hate to say it, but the > "useful information message/exercise in hitting the delete key ratio" has > dropped to less than one in a hundred. PLEASE Ddo this worthless shit > somewhere else...at least privately. > > erik > gaucho@main.com > > Calm down man..this list is mainly for fun/enjoyment...If its slightly related to tmbg I think its fine by me..delete all you want, just don'tg o off on random people who think they've had a good idea.. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:14:02 -0500 From: Willy Nunn Subject: Re: Ye Olde Tribute Albume >And now I'm going to offer my opinion on tributes in general. The way >I see it, tributes are great if you like the bands who are performing the >songs, or if the band being honored has been gone for a while. But a >tribute to a band that's still going strong isn't going to be well accepted >by the fans of that band, simply because it implies that the band's career >is over. I must disagree. Considdering the lack of any major new TMBG work in the near future, a tribute album put out by fans who enjoy TMBG is something I would like to hear. I see no harm in a bunch of people who enjoy the work putting together an album with their own renditions for the fun of it. I mean we all sing along with most of the songs anyways, these people have just taken it a step further and put it on to an album, and I say all the more to them! I don't interpret this "tribute album" as an implication of the end of TMBG, more as a sign of how much people enjoy it.... at least that's my opinion.... Wilbz __________________________________________________ |Will nunn| WPI| Chem. Eng.| Comp. Sci.| |_________|_______|_______________|_______________| |"When this grey world crumbles like a cake/ | |I'll be hanging from the hope/ | |That I'll never see that recipe again" | | -TMBG, It's Not My Birthday | |_________________________________________________| |www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html | |ftp site chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ | |_________________________________________________| ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:21:23 -0500 Subject: Re: Jimmy Fiveplex >Welcome to the Jungle (Jim) where is this song and why have I never heard it other than the Guns 'n' somebody er other version on the Simpsons? Is it on some Elektra single and therefore should be on *FREAKSICLE* (* -is meant to show anger and a sense of betrayal) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 16:22:43 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Stop! You're makin' me jealous! > From tmbg-list-owner@tmbg.org Mon Feb 26 16:06:19 1996 > From: benny79@ibm.net > Mime-Version: 1.0 > Date: Mon, 26 Feb 96 20:19:32 +0000 > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: Stop! You're makin' me jealous! > X-Mailer: Ultimedia Mail/2 Lite, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center > Content-Type> : > text/plain> ; > charset="US-ASCII"> > Content-Id: <64_46_1_825383973> > On another topic, the concert I DID see gave me a startling revela- > tion. I always considered TMBG a band that loved what they did and > that they wouldn't mind fans giving their imput once in a while. > However, when Flans (playfully?) told the crowd to f*** off his > equipment, and Linnell told a not-so-sober guy who was requesting some > of his faves to be played that "We're just doing our job", this > thought was weakened. Hope this don't discourage anybody. It may just be me, but I highly doubt they did this. Out of all the shows I've been to, no matter how much of a pain in the ass the auidence was being or what songs they requested they never bit anyones head off. Hell they've even played some of the songs. Or maybe they just don't like germans (?). ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:43:27 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: Cool if they did it On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > Hootie and the Blowfish sucks, OK. Here we go. I had a feeling this would start when I say Hootie on the list. I am a fan of Hootie. I will admit it. I don't consider them to be a 'flash in the pan', and, no, I'm not one of those people who bought the album in the past few months. I bought the CD in the winter of 1994, when it first came out. Personally, I feel that Darius Rucker has one of the best voices in music today (with one of the worst names, I will admit). So, I'll now step down from the soapbox (which makes me much taller than my actual 5'4") and prepare my mailbox for the bombardment of people telling me that my musical tastes suck, and all that good stuff. So, just to add to the fracas, I also like rap and hip-hop. Although, TMBG is my favorite group. (I had to add that, or people would be calling for my head). So, I'm going to leave now, and await the replies from this. Oh yeah. I'd love to see Elastica at the flesh fest, eh? Brendan Brendan Sullivan, player to be named later. bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 "My story probably makes no sense, and has lots of spelling and grammer errors in it. Such is life." -- Kelley Johnson. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:13:05 -0600 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: Northwestern tickets? At 01:10 PM 2/26/96 -0500, you wrote: >I am a very concerned TMBG fan and NEED to get tickets to the Northwestern >show. Apparently they are only letting students buy tickets. So if anyone >out there knows if they will be letting non-Northwestern students buy tickets >PLEASE let me know. > >KEVIN- looking forward to being "Free in OK with THEY" > > > > From what I was by the box office it is up to the University. They will probably make a decision in a week or so. It is a 2000 seat ventue so it is not in danger of selling out. Also the tickets call only be purchased in person at the box office. ****************************************************************************** * Katrina Hockin * * khockin@niu.edu * * "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run then outright exposure. * * The fearful are caught as often as the bold." * * Helen Keller * ****************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:18:13 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Evil Plots! On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > When I was in Bio. today, we were doing this whole vertebrate thing that I > did in fourth grade and the metabolism sure came up alot, so I said to the > (student) teacher, "If I bring in a song about mammals can I get extra > credit?" and she said sure, so... > > I"LL EXPOSE MY ENTIRE BIO CLASS TO TMBG! ...0 (I wouldn't have to use caps if > we hadn't just had that whole discussion on CAPS) That's good to know...spread the word brother. There have been many times when I would actually write some of the lyrics to Mammal as answers on bio exams...stuff like "So the warm blood flows, with the red blood cells, lacking nuclei..." I also had the chance to use nearly all the words to Why Does The Sun Shine on an atmospheric science exam. The questions included things like the distance from the Earth to the Sun, the size of the Sun, and so on...I just couldn't resist. Alex a smiling yellow face ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:20:29 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Tribute >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 21:46:35 >To: Matthew James >From: The Big Blue Dog >Subject: Re: Tribute > >At 01:37 AM 2/25/96 -0500, you wrote: >>> Here are some of the nastiest mismatches I could think of. Some of them >>> are funny, if you try to picture the band actually trying to do the song, >>> while some are just wrong. >>> >>> Dead - Megadeth >>> Stomp Box - Boys II Men >>> Chess Piece Face - Crash Test Dummies >>> Spider - Metallica (they are the ultimate anti-humor band) >>> James K. Polk - Smashing Pumpkins w/special guest Henry Rollins >Mammal - Garth Brooks >Ailenation's for the Rich - Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg >I Palindrome I - Mel Torme >O Do Not Forsake Me - Andy Partridge/XTC >I Should Be Allowed to Think - Rush Limbaugh >Your Racist Friend - Patrick Buchanan with G. Gordon Liddy >Fingertips - Green Day (All of the songs will be the same) >Space Suit - Hudson Shad (The Guys who sung O Do Not Forsake Me) >She's Actual Size - Bush >Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love - Bon Jovi >They Might Be Giants - Alice in Chains >David Hasselhof - Road Movie to Berlin >Alice Cooper - Why Must I be Sad? >Dead - Elvis (Yeah, I know, it's above) >We Want a Rock - James Exon with Tipper Gore >Snowball in Hell - Hillary Clinton >Hello Radio - Howard Stern > > > > > ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Pat Buchanan will have it so that all of the white sheets he wears are made in America! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:35:14 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: I can't take it any longer >The only things that I have seen are the TTA "videos", and I caught the >end of SOMETHING on Comedy Central that was set to Istanbul, though I >don't know if it was a real video or just a promo for something. The Istanbul video was on the program "Comedy Off Central" once. That's the only time I've ever seen it, and it's probably what you saw. It's mostly Claymation-ish. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:48:35 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: The current deal for TMBG at U of I I just called the local radio station ans they say: "We're working on signing some contracts right now." So I guess that's a good sign, eh? -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and (very soon) the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 18:06:10 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: I can't take it any longer On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >The only things that I have seen are the TTA "videos", and I caught the > >end of SOMETHING on Comedy Central that was set to Istanbul, though I > >don't know if it was a real video or just a promo for something. > > The Istanbul video was on the program "Comedy Off Central" once. That's the > only time I've ever seen it, and it's probably what you saw. It's mostly > Claymation-ish. > THAT WAS IT!!!!! I'm so relieved. Ok, so I have seen a video. Sorry! 'Nette ps I'm so happy now! But why didn't I tape it? `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`' FLESH FEST '96: It's not just for breakfast anymore!!! *------------------------------------------------------------------ "I could never sleep my way to the top; 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - They, "Hey Mr. DJ" *------------------------------------------------------------------ " Goodnight, everybody!" - Yakko (all the time!) ,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:06:21 -0800 From: Brian Kobashikawa Subject: Re: brief glimpse of SenSurround ! True, the Power Rangers movie had a sorry-ass 'cameo' of TMBG (I think MY situation was far worse... I saw it on opening day with 5 of my cousins, all under the age of EIGHT... but hell, the TV show's all right and the special effects seemed good)... anyway, FOX ran a special half-hour 'behind the scenes' of "Power Rangers the Movie" a week before it was released into the theaters. Anyway, towards the end of the show they had this little montage of candid shots of the cast and all this goofing off, and throughout the montage, guess what they played? That's right, none other than SenSurround, practically the WHOLE way through. No 'Snap', no 'Red Hot Chili Peppers', but They Might be Giants. And then, during the credits for the TV show, they played SenSurround AGAIN halfway through before that damn girl band Shampoo did that irritating "Trouble" song.... "Uh oh, we're in trouble... and a burst our bubble, yeah yeah." But still. See, if you just saw the TV special a week before, you would be able to escape the humilating disappointment of sitting in a theater with a bunch of kids watching a crappy movie. Of course, _I_ figured with the recurrence of TMBG so OFTEN in the special, it'd be playing every FIVE MINUTES in the movie. Boy was I wrong. :| Oh yeah, and I might as well participate in the list of favorite TMBG albums (order from like to dislike): Apollo 18, John Henry, Lincoln, Flood, Misc. T, TMBG#1. Brian Kobashikawa (kobashik@ucla.edu) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:29:43 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Slow? Maybe I'm a little bit slow, but everytime somebody writes about SenSurroud, I have no idea what they are talking about. Is it a song or an album or type of editing? Sorry to plague you guys with this question, but I've read too many messages that I couldn't relate to *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Subject: MAINE Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 20:36:18 -0500 (EST) From: "** JEN TSAO **" Hi again... Here's info I have about the concert at the Univ of New England that I got from a psoter hung at my school: TMBG with the Maul Girls Sat March 9, 7:30 pm, UNE Student Center Gym Tickets $12 in advance, $15 day of show Tickets are available at record rendezvous in kennebunk mid town music in biddeford, or bull moose in portland tix are also available from my school and Im not sure where else.. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:48:23 -0800 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: John Henry(more blasphemy) Hey all, I definitely have to agree with Destination Moon as my favorite on JH(along with 'end of the tour'!) This was the first album I got, after being introduced about a year ago by some friends who are marginal fans, and so I have listened to it the most in that time. Of the four that I now own(Flood, JH, A18, and Lincoln) flood is prob. my favorite - but I just got Lincoln 2 weeks ago so it isn't a fair comparison yet...and as we all know the more you listen to something the more it grows on you(or you hate it more ;) ) later, Brian ...who's keyboard is so screwed up the 'm' key sticks, the 'z' key randomly goes berserk, and 'e' all but refuses to work!!!(dare to ask how I deal with that) and who changed to the Dvorak layout so no one else wants to use my computer. :-) --- John Henry wrote: > > To all who care, > yet-- Destination Moon. I think that DM is a classig TMBG song. My > friend, who isn't into TMBG, says that she can tell whenever I'm > listening to it, because I start to 'bob my head', and, acording to her, > DM is a true 'head-bobbing' song. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:08:34 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: NDN: Slow? On 27 Feb 1996, Post Office wrote: > Sorry. Your message could not be delivered to: > > Shane Markle (Mailbox or Conference is full.) > Could somebody please kill this person for me, or at least delete every message in their mailbox? I'm getting tired of recieving this message for every message I put on the list. *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 00:33:59 -0600 From: katie jane Subject: Re: NDN: Slow? >> Shane Markle (Mailbox or Conference is full.) this is odd. several people on the list have expressed a problem with receiving this message over and over again, but i at least have not gotten it at all. so apparently it is localized in someway to only select members of the list... i'd say it was people recieving just the list or the digest possibly, but i get both so that rules that out... hmmmm... any ideas? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 01:42:46 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Re: Evil Plots! On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > When I was in Bio. today, we were doing this whole vertebrate thing that I > did in fourth grade and the metabolism sure came up alot, so I said to the > (student) teacher, "If I bring in a song about mammals can I get extra > credit?" and she said sure, so... > > I"LL EXPOSE MY ENTIRE BIO CLASS TO TMBG! ...0 (I wouldn't have to use caps if > we hadn't just had that whole discussion on CAPS) > > me who is slightly upset but not as much as the voices in my head that people > have started using my me who end of lettter thing and is about to slap a > patent on it > What a great idea! i should try that on my bio teacher. He writes songs about biology that we have to sing in class, but his lyrics are not very good (a recent example is the rap entitled "plants make it so you can shake it/you gotta burn it to boogie"(this would be glucose)) So, not only could I expose my class; I could help my teacher to become a superior songwriter (well, i guess it's kind of hard to write songs about glycolysis (wow, I think i spelled that wrong)) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-58 *****************************