Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-59 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 59 Wednesday, 28 February 1996 Today's Topics: once a man named Mr. Me Re: NDN: Slow? Re: NDN: Slow? Fleshfest Yes! Mono Puffed! Deutsch Menschen German? t-shirts Re: Stop!... (long response) Re: NDN: Slow? Re: Why... some questions some stuff O'Tannenbaum Re: Stop!... (long response) Re: some questions Concerts some questions Re: German? indianapolis concert Re: German? if they did it... Re: I can't take it any longer Re: some questions Tix for Mercury Lounge, 3-21 Re: if they did it... Re: some questions Magical Grapefruit of Love (fwd) Re: some questions Changing my Name and Yelling more! Re: some questions SUPPORT FREE SPEECH ON THE INTERNET Stomp Box, etc. interview with TMBG edible pajamas Does anybody else have this??? Does anybody else have this??? Re: some questions Re: Evil Plots! censorship (fwd) re: protest (fwd) TMBG tribute Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:28:39 GMT Subject: once a man named Mr. Me From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) greetings all, just thought i'd post a quick message just incase Mr. Klaw hasn't yet.. Got Horn is now up a ready to recieve visitors, so if you'd like to play around with our pages, come on down to http://www.clearlight.com/Passthemilk we've got a rather growing tmbg section and if you wish, you can upload either me or mr. klaw your picture and we'll put it in our ftp site.. also something new in our ftp site, we're gathering all the actually tmbg pictures we can find.. the list is already larger than i had expected, so you can get there too from our page.. it's in the .../users/dresko/TMBG/other directory and well.. have fun.. -- Rabbit Ears ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:06:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: NDN: Slow? >>> Shane Markle (Mailbox or Conference is full.) > >this is odd. several people on the list have expressed a problem with >receiving this message over and over again, but i at least have not gotten >it at all. so apparently it is localized in someway to only select members >of the list... i'd say it was people recieving just the list or the digest >possibly, but i get both so that rules that out... hmmmm... any ideas? It is my impression that the sender of a message to the list gets this reply. Shane must be subscribed to the insta-version of the list, so when his Post Office automatically replies, the reply gets sent to the poster rather than the whole list. Make sense? +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: NDN: Slow? Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:47:35 -0500 (EST) > Could somebody please kill this person for me, or at least delete every > message in their mailbox? I'm getting tired of recieving this message for > every message I put on the list. Several people have complained about this recently. *Begin soapbox* With more and more people running their own "Internet Servers" the mail service has gotten worse and worse. I'm getting more and more bounced messages for stupider and stupider reasons. All bounced mail should be returned to me if the mailer doing the bouncing was working right. The fact that anyone else is getting bounces points to misconfigured, or downright broken mail systems. *End soapbox* If you get bounces, please send them to me. If you're getting them then I am not. I'll then figure out what the best thing to do is. Also, if you see any problems with anything, please let me know. I can't fix it unless I know about it! Back to your TMBG programming.... -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:21:41 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Fleshfest Jeanette Frost wrote: >The nudity was just >to add a Woodstockian touch. (And to fulfill the fantasies of the ladies >who want to see J&J in their "It's Not My Birthday" suits. (; ) And of 10% of us men! 8-D -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:13:00 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Yes! Mono Puffed! Ben or Been here. "Sleeping in the Flowers" is on Ben's Dial-A-Song: (614) 823-BLUE *** As for Scott's announcement, yes, Mono Puff will Hello a full-length album this year, and other Hello artists to come are: One of the guys from The Violent Femmes Soul Coughing !!!!!! Call 1-800-HELLO-41 just to hear Flanny talk about it! It's totally free! And Flanny talks really fast! *** Also, does Flanny take lead vocals on these Hello the Band tracks?: (Since You Joined) The Corporation Town To Town --incredibly awesome!!! Hello Hello I tried e-mailing Joshua Fried about this, and "kmpicker," but I've yet to get a response. Sea ja, Ist oder IBt where B = the Esset Ein general-Semanticker (really bad German) Man ist was man iBt. = You are what you eat. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:31:33 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Deutsch Menschen I probably constructed that German up there completely wrong. Anyway, Adam P. Fistler wrote: >Maybe they just don't like Germans. Doubtful. They sang O Tannenbaum in the original, didn't They? -Sean ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: German? Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 07:43:00 P Every one has been saying little things in german, so I decided to add my 2 cents by saying the 2 phrases that I can say in german. Das Liederhosen ist Kaput - The Leather Pants are Broken Der Kartafazalot ist gut- The Potatoe Salad is Good (spelled wrong... sorry) Actually I hate potatoe salad!!! Oh well chow! Oh ya, I heard taht in germany it is bad to say, " Ich Bein Histe " Or some thing like that , I guess it means I am hot, but is taken badly over in germany. Is this right? Who knows? Chow for Now. Brenden AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: t-shirts Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 07:43:00 P i heard about some people ordering TMBG T-SHIRTS!!! Where could I order them from? I would really like to know!!! could you guys help me on this one? Brenden - nednerB AKA - THE HYPNOTIST OF LADIES ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:03:56 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Stop!... (long response) Adam P. Fistler writes: >> From: benny79@ibm.net >> On another topic, the concert I DID see gave me a startling revela- >> tion. I always considered TMBG a band that loved what they did and >> that they wouldn't mind fans giving their imput once in a while. Not once in a while perhaps, so long as it is requested. [...] >> Flans (playfully?) told the crowd to f*** off his equipment, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (?)I can't imagine why he would want them to... >> and Linnell told a not-so-sober guy who was requesting some >> of his faves to be played that "We're just doing our job", this >> thought was weakened. Hope this don't discourage anybody. Remember, these guys are professionals. They have schedules that extend past the shows you see. They have public lives and private lives to balance. Flans stands (or at least used to...) around patiently after shows and answers (mostly) the same inane questions over and over and signs autographs and puts up with adolescent girls propositioning him, and on several occasions when he has had enough for that night I have heard him say that he had to leave because he was "going off duty" or "clocking out". I'm glad he wants (and is willing) to maintain that kind of contact with the fans, but it is still part of his job. (Repeat to yourself: They are professionals. This doesn't mean They don't love and enjoy many aspects of what They do, but it's not all just for kicks.) >It may just be me, but I highly doubt they did this. Out of all >the shows I've been to, no matter how much of a pain in the ass >the auidence was being or what songs they requested they never bit >anyones head off. I don't doubt it. I have heard Them get ticked off at the audience (or at least at certain members of the audience) on more than one occasion. I am sure that They would love nothing more than to play to crowds of mature, well-behaved music lovers, but this often is not the case. They are in a particularly good position to see people on their worst behavior, and no matter how many well-behaved fans are in the audience, the people who stand out are the ones acting like moronic little children. When They feel as though They are surrounded by crowds of moronic little children night after night, week after week, eventually They will start to treat them like moronic little children. I think They deserve sainthood for the remarkable amount of tolerance They manage to show. They are able to do this, in part, by being professionals, and maintaining a certain amount of distance between their professional lives and private lives. No matter what you may like to think, when you see them in concert, They are "just doing their jobs." It's in all of our best interest for us not to interfere with that. If we allow Them to enjoy what they are doing, we'll enjoy it that much more as well. Conversely, if we make Them miserable on stage, nobody will have a good time (except maybe the drunks causing half the trouble). Here are a couple of strategies for making concerts a more pleasant experience for Them, and therefore for us: -When They ask you to not hurt each other and to not mosh and to not "pass the dude," simply show some amount of RESPECT for Their wishes and don't do those things. Remember, respect is a two-way avenue. -If shouting out songs you'd like to hear Them play even though They've made up a list of songs that they want to play obviously annoys Them (and I've seen this happen to some degree at almost every show I've been to in the last couple of years), then don't do that. We'll all be happier hearing Them play songs that they want to play than hearing people yell at Them to play songs that they don't. See how easy this is? I bet you can come up with some ideas yourself. If only *everybody* at the concerts caught on this quickly, there'd be a better time all around, guaranteed. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:30:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: NDN: Slow? On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, katie jane wrote: > > >> Shane Markle (Mailbox or Conference is full.) > > this is odd. several people on the list have expressed a problem with > receiving this message over and over again, but i at least have not gotten > it at all. so apparently it is localized in someway to only select members > of the list... i'd say it was people recieving just the list or the digest > possibly, but i get both so that rules that out... hmmmm... any ideas? > Yes. If anyone knows Shane, PLEASE PLEASE tell him to clear out his mailbox!!!!!!!!!!!!! That may work. :) Luv, 'Nette. the idea factory. `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`' FLESH FEST '96: It's not just for breakfast anymore!!! *------------------------------------------------------------------ "I could never sleep my way to the top; 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - They, "Hey Mr. DJ" *------------------------------------------------------------------ " Goodnight, everybody!" - Yakko (all the time!) ,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,. ------------------------------ From: deputy dog Subject: Re: Why... Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 11:43:22 EST > Fourth, it's not catchy. I've never lost concentration on anything > because Stompbox was going through my head. FALSE!! i always have stompbox going through my head, and i think it is catchy. in fact, i dig it. so there. farside ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:11:37 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: some questions I've got some questions that some of you on the list might be able to help me out with. They're mostly regarding past live performances: 1) Has anyone every seen Them perform Dead live? (wow, that's not a bad paradox!) 2) When was the last time someone saw Flansburgh come out after a concert to sign autographs? 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? 4) Do They still do the "countdown" before They come out on stage? That's it. Answer as many as you'd like, you are under no obligation, and no salesperson will visit you. Alex Person Man ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:41:45 E Subject: some stuff Just so everyone knows... Any jokes I ever made about certain bands doing TMBG songs were to find a contrast between the band and TMBG...not say the band was bad. I for example used enya and U2, and I listen to music by both :) I mean I love Paul Simon, I just can't see him cranking out Stompbox. Secondly, I never thought that Tiny Toons was the first time any song from Flood debuted...it was just the first time I ever heard the songs from Flood that ppl kept telling me about...so technically I was (and a lot of other were) introduced to Flood by TTA For this reason, I had a sort of resentment towards Flood for a long time even though it was my first TMBG album...this would be a typical conversation that would piss me off: Person: so what kind of music do you listen to? Tracy: Oh well my favorite band is They Might Be Giants Person: Oh really I love them! Tracy (feeling a kinship): Really? What albums do you have? Person: Oh I have Flood Tracy: Oh you don't have any other albums by them? Person: They have other albums? This conversation has taken place in various forms with many people and it used to drive me nuts...like people claim that TMBG is one of their favorite bands and the only songs they know are like Particle Man and Istanbul...same with those people who think Losing My Religion was REM'f first song! Argggghhhh!!! My resentment has mellowed with time though and if only I could get my Flood tape back I would enjoy it sans anger. Tracy should be allowed to eat candy and drink tea but it's Lent :7 ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: O'Tannenbaum Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:52:51 -0500 (EST) My O'Tannenbaum shirt came today!!!!!! joy of joys It has John & John standing next to a Christmas tree on the front and on the back it says 'Happy Chaunika (sp?) from They Might Be Giants' I'm happy now! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:05:14 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Stop!... (long response) >See how easy this is? I bet you can come up with some ideas yourself. >If only *everybody* at the concerts caught on this quickly, there'd >be a better time all around, guaranteed. What do y'all think of setting up something like the Phish fans have with the Helping Phriendly Phlyer? If you don't know what I'm talking about, people on the Phish.net usually make copies of this flyer and hand it out at concerts. The flyer reads as follows: >The Helping Phriendly Phlyer > > > Just a phew ideas on show etiquette according to most of > the phamily. > >- The shows are a place to dance and listen. Please keep your dancing >styles so as not to interfere with others. Occasional bumps do occur when > you're bouncin' around the room, but moshing and crowd surfing will >not pass well with most people. > >- The shows are also a place for people to really appreciate the musical >aspect of the concert. Please be respectful and silent during a mellowed >out soft jam or during the acoustic songs and A Capella tunes. > >- Our trampoline-bouncing friends on stage need to concentrate on >what they're doing up there during a heated jam. They would appreciate >it if they did not come into acquaintance with any flying projectiles. > >- The Green Crew (the people who pick up after shows) have a very >hard time with trash after concerts. There are so many smashed bottles >etc. and they have a really tough time. If Phish wants to keep playing at >these venues, we've got to keep it clean. > >- If you'd like to know the title of one of the songs, chances are that >someone around you knows the name. There will be someone there >who would love to tell you the name, but might not be too pleased being > interrupted in the middle of the song. Remember to be respectful to >other listeners too. There's some amazing stuff going on on that stage >that most of us don't want to miss. Keep in mind that before the show >there will be thousands of people walking around who would be happy to >fill you in on Phish happenings. Don't feel ashamed to ask, most of us love >helping out kids new to the scene. > >PLEASE EITHER PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THIS PAPER OR PASS IT >ON !!!!! THANK YOU!! > >Take it easy and I'll see you inside. Happy Phishing! Some of this info would be irrelevant, but we might revise it to make it more Giant. What do you think of the idea? It's a long shot, but it *might* put a damper on some of the "pass the dude" stuff that goes on. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:09:04 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: some questions Some answers to questions...... > 1) Has anyone every seen Them perform Dead live? (wow, that's not a bad > paradox!) I've seen Them twice. Never heard that one performed. > 2) When was the last time someone saw Flansburgh come out after a concert > to sign autographs? Same as No. 1 > 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? A friend of mine saw them during the WDTSS Tour in Central Park when this phenomena occurred. They asked for "a song, any song". Someone yelled out "Do the song about the drugs my Dad listened to." They then started playing "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane. Pretty cool. > 4) Do They still do the "countdown" before They come out on stage? Same as No.'s 1 and 2. ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:18:30 -0600 (CST) Subject: Concerts You don't have to live in Germany to feel left out of the TMBG concert life. I have seen them once as well, I live in Oklahoma(No I am not making any more of my picked-on Okie statements!) which is a little closer to New York than Germany(I think, after all I am an American student and am not supposed to know geography;) } I would love to be able to critique Their concerts and say which side I would like to stand on. Enough of my whining... Chris, aka person-man Everybody dies frustrated inside and that is beautiful ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: some questions Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:13:09 -0500 (EST) Heya, I'll try to answer... > I've got some questions that some of you on the list might be able to > help me out with. They're mostly regarding past live performances: > > 1) Has anyone every seen Them perform Dead live? (wow, that's not a bad > paradox!) Yeah, we believe we have seen this song live, although I can't remember which show. > > 2) When was the last time someone saw Flansburgh come out after a concert > to sign autographs? I've never seen him sign autographs. My friend did get Doherty and Maimone's sig, though. > > 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? Nope, they dn't seem to do this anymore really. > > 4) Do They still do the "countdown" before They come out on stage? Nope, they stopped doing that, I enjoyed that quite a bit. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:13:30 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: German? > Das Liederhosen ist Kaput - The Leather Pants are Broken i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that it is DIE Lederhosen. (I fixed the spelling, too...) > Der Kartafazalot ist gut- The Potatoe Salad is Good Kartoffelsalat... > Oh ya, I heard taht in germany it is bad to say, " Ich Bein Histe " Or > some thing like that , I guess it means I am hot, but is taken badly over in > germany. Is this right? Who knows? Ich bib heiB (the B being an ess-tset) is taken to mean "i am hot" in the context of hot with a sexual connotation, understand? the proper way to say it (if you are really warm, temperature-wise) would be: "Mir ist heiB." just to let you all know...i'm sure no one cares, but Deutsch is important to me! That's the lesson for today... --Fran AKA The Vonnegut Vassal oh, one more thing---it's POTATO! (no "e"!) ------------------------------ From: bwhite@ycp.edu Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:26:11 EDT Subject: indianapolis concert ok, guys. here's what little concert information _I_ know. i'm much more interested in the possiblity of an elizabethtown concert. put me on the list of people who don't know, but want to. i found this bit of info on the ticketmaster page. now you know as much as i. sorry if this is old news. bryan --------- MUST BE 21 W/ID TO ENTER THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS NO CAMERAS/NO RECORDERS VOGUE/BUD LIGHT CONCERTS LTD. SEATS/STANDING ROOM MON APR 1 1996 8:00 PM Venue:Vogue Theatre Primary Act: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS City: Indianapolis State: Indiana Event Date: 1-APR-96 Price: $15.00 Ticket Center Information Charge-By-Phone Information There is a service charge on tickets purchased at Ticketmaster ticket centers. Tickets purchased over the telephone include a service charge and a handling fee. _________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:05:59 -0500 Subject: Re: German? In a message dated 96-02-27 10:51:04 EST, you write: >Oh ya, I heard taht in germany it is bad to say, " Ich Bein Histe " Or >some thing like that , I guess it means I am hot, but is taken badly over in >germany. Is this right? Who knows? You mean to say "Ich bin Heisst" or Heisse... I'm not exactly sure... It means "I am in heat" speaking of German phrases... "Ich bin eine riesige Ente" (I am a gigantic duck)... for more on that subject see the Gigantic Duck Page at: http://members.aol.com/ruprecht76/duck.htm ... It's real fun stuff and I've got a few Giants pages too ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:31:34 -0500 (EST) From: "Near, Eric" Subject: if they did it... Organization: Ironton Jr Hi School (Ohio) I think Primus would do a great "Spy" but what about "Kiss Me, Son of God" or of course, "Particle Man?" ------------------------------ From: Beezus5085@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:51:27 -0500 Subject: Re: I can't take it any longer Go to the elektra TMBG page and you can download some video clips. I don't know the URL, so just search for They Might Be Giants. I downloaded the birdhouse clip at school 'cause I didn't feel like paying for the 30 mins. it takes on AOL. It was O.K. but there were a bunch of black people watching over my shoulder and it looks kind-of fruity because the Johns are doing this little jumpy dance that looks like it should be on the R.E.M. Stand video. The black kids were like, " Man, you waited 30 mins. to see that!" and I was like, " Yeah and I'd wait 30 more." Check 'em out, Brother John Beezus ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:56:18 -0800 (PST) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: some questions On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > I've got some questions that some of you on the list might be able to > help me out with. They're mostly regarding past live performances: > > 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? At the Majestic in Dallas in 1992 They were asked to do this by a radio station that used to be cool. The best shout from the audience was "The 1812 Overture," so They did it. Accordian, guitar, bass, and all! (I believe this topic has come up before). Jason Weiner * Stanford University * discord@leland.stanford.edu %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. "Correctly formulated, the Law of Fives is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." --Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:00:47 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Tix for Mercury Lounge, 3-21 Does anybody know when the tickets for the Mercury Lounge show on the 21st go on sale (and how quickly they tend to sell out)? Oh, and a thank-you to the people who e-mailed me a while back when I asked for general info about the ML shows. TMBG fans are such a helpful bunch. I'm feelin' the love. Happy Tuesday, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:19:55 -0500 From: stjtc02@moravian.edu (JEREMY CAMPBELL) Subject: Re: if they did it... >I think Primus would do a great "Spy" but what about "Kiss Me, Son of >God" or of course, "Particle Man?" I have a verson of Particle Man by the Bobs an a capella group that is really cool. Perhaps Rob Schneider would do It well jeremy =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= She looked at me O O And her smiling tears were warm and sweet and free L And the moonlight kissed her eyes ,____, As it mingled with our sighs And she whispered, "Sometimes love is only sleeping" =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:07:39 -0600 From: katie jane Subject: Re: some questions >At the Majestic in Dallas in 1992 They were asked to do this by a radio >station that used to be cool. The best shout from the audience was "The >1812 Overture," so They did it. Accordian, guitar, bass, and all! (I >believe this topic has come up before). and on the radio mr. no. 10 can of steam seems to have left out, they played House of the Rising sun... very well done... also they asked the radio station to have people call in while doing a live segment before their show. made good stuff to listen to on the way there... they also played an accordion version of my evil twin, which sounded great. when they played the 1812 overture, lacking a huge cannon to make the necissary booming sound flans choose to shout BOOM! into the mic, exciting stuff... paul, searching for truth and freedom. and telling jason how it really was. even though he was there. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:21:04 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Magical Grapefruit of Love (fwd) This is a little something that was forwarded to me--hopefully it isn't one of those things that's been forwarded to everyone and their dog (twenty thousand million times :) ), 'cause I'm sending it on to the list. Normally I wouldn't do this, but it's not too long, and most importantly, it rocks. This is NOT a chain letter (I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em), merely a little token of affection from one They fan to a whole bunch of others. So, partake of the magical grapefruit of love and pass it on. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* This is the Magical Grapefruit of Love. It has been bequeathed upon you by someone who thinks you are really fucking cool. This person might be your boyfriend, girlfriend, lover, pal, homie, Hausfrau, neighbor or someone else you don't even know. This person finds you rather interesting, possibly even attractive, and just generally thinks you're a pretty good excuse to be alive. Whether this person actually IS attracted to you is another question. This is merely a token of affection for you to wonder at and appreciate. The proper response, upon reciept of the Magical Grapefruit of Love is a hug, or a message of thanks, if this person is too far away to hug within a week of reciept. Basically, the Magical Grapefruit of Love is a way to say "Hey, you're really damn cool, and I want you to know that." Sorry if you were disappointed that there is no actual citrus fruit contained in this letter. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, that miracle of science that allows grapefruit to travel through telephone lines had not been perfected. But be consoled by the fact that someone thinks you're really a rockin' guy/gal, and would most likely help you out if you had a flat tire somewhere in the same state (or within a one or two hour radius, depending on the size of your state). The sender of the Magical Grapefruit of Love only asks one thing of you-- (besides the aforementioned hug) that you bequeath this Grapefruit of Love on someone else. The Magical Grapefruit of Love grows in power as it is shared, and someday you may recieve this Magical Citrus Entity again. Send it on. Remember the elation you felt the first time you recieved it? If you send it on, you may feel this again. This is not a chain letter. Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't send it on, but think of the bright spot it might put in the day of someone you think is extra marvy. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:41:09 -0700 (MST) From: Tatiana Suzanne Baldwin Subject: Re: some questions > On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > > > I've got some questions that some of you on the list might be able to > > help me out with. They're mostly regarding past live performances: > > > > 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? > Yeah, at hayden square in Phoenix, 1991 or 1992, they did "Your so Vain" by Bonnie Taylor. it truly was amazing, it was, of course, way better than the original and when John ran out of words he knew, he just made them up. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 18:51:44 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: Changing my Name and Yelling more! Ich mochte etwas dreck kaufen- I would like to buy some dirt. You can blame my old girlfriend for that one. Whoever had the Tannenbaum shirt, where'd you get it? How can I get it? That's awesome! Please reply and VOTE! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 19:19:48 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: some questions On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > 1) Has anyone every seen Them perform Dead live? (wow, that's not a bad > paradox!) No, I have not. > 2) When was the last time someone saw Flansburgh come out after a concert > to sign autographs? I have never seen this happen. When I was at Their concert, They both just jumped in a van and took off before anyone could approach. > 3) Has anyone ever seen Them do "Stump The Band"? Karl Cramer has, but you wouldn't know him. :) > 4) Do They still do the "countdown" before They come out on stage? Yes, so far as I know..... Hope I was able to help, 'Nette (: :) `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`' FLESH FEST '96: It's not just for breakfast anymore!!! *------------------------------------------------------------------ "I could never sleep my way to the top; 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - They, "Hey Mr. DJ" *------------------------------------------------------------------ " Goodnight, everybody!" - Yakko (all the time!) ,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,.*.,. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 19:32:35 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: SUPPORT FREE SPEECH ON THE INTERNET My apologies if you have gotten this before. ...and if you're annoyed to have received it on TMBG... ...but YOU, the fans of the Lords of Peace, the Brothers of Love, the JOHNS....YOU should understand the importance of free speech better than anyone... Please consider sending this message on the 29th, in an effort to let our nations losers...uh leaders, know that we ain't gonna take it. Hurry...only a day or two to send this to all your friends and neighbors. >>>>>>To whoever may read this, >>>>>>This is not a typical chain letter, in that by passing it on to as >>>>>>many people as you can, you are taking part in what may yet become >>>>>>the world's biggest practical joke. The U.S. Government has recently >>>>>>passed an act which enforces censorship on the internet. A group of >>>>>>internet users has now come together to kick back at this oppression, >>>>>>and have a bit of fun at the same time. >>>>>>The aim of this exercise is to re-establish the United States as "The >>>>>>land of the Free", not a fascist state where freedom of speech and >>>>>>thought are curtailed. Communist Russia fell as a result of such >>>>>>limits being placed upon the minds of the general populus. >>>>>>On receiving this letter, please pass it on to as many friends or >>>>>>E-mail lists as you can. We predict that if everybody copies the >>>>>>letter to 5 other addresses, by February 29th 1996, this letter >>>>>>should have reached in excess of 2 million people. That's when the >>>>>>fun begins........ > > >>>>>>On February 29th, please send the message: >>>>>> >>>>>> Dear Mr. President, >>>>>> Do you remember this: >>>>>> >>>>>>And afterwards enclose the pre-typed copy of the Bill of rights. By >>>>>>sending the letter on the date above, you will contribute to either >>>>>>one huge petition for freedom, or else lead to a crash of the >>>>>>whitehouse server.Send all letters to: > >>>>>> ___President@Whitehouse.gov___ >>>>>> >>>>>>Remember that solidarity is the key to success. >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> THE BILL OF RIGHTS >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment I >>>>>> Congress shall make no law respecting an > establishment of > religion, or >>>>>> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of >>>>>> speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to >>>>>> assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment II >>>>>> A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free >>>>>> state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be >>>>>> infringed. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment III >>>>>> No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without >>>>>> the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be >>>>>> prescribed by law. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment IV >>>>>> The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, >>>>>> papers, >>>>>> and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be >>>>>> violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, >>>>>> supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the >>>>>> place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment V >>>>>> No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise >>>>>> infamous >>>>>> crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except >>>>>> in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when >>>>>> in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any >>>>>> person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of >>>>>> life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a >>>>>> witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or >>>>>> property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be >>>>>> taken for public use, without just compensation. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment VI >>>>>> In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a >>>>>> speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and >>>>>> district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district >>>>>> shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of >>>>>> the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the >>>>>> witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining >>>>>> witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his >>>>>> defense. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment VII >>>>>> In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed >>>>>> twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no >>>>>> fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of >>>>>> the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment VIII >>>>>> Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, >>>>>> nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment IX >>>>>> The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, >>>>>> shall not be >>>>>> construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. >>>>>> >>>>>> Amendment X >>>>>> The powers not delegated to the United States by the >>>>>> Constitution, nor >>>>>> prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states >>>>>> respectively, or to the people. >>>>>> ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 18:16:08 -0800 (PST) From: Littlewood Subject: Stomp Box, etc. > > Everyone seems to find Stompbox as their least favourite song. I would > like to hear all your reasonings on this, I could find songs that I found > much more annoying. I'm not asking to be flamed, I'm asking for bona-fide > answers. At the risk of sounding crass, I beg to differ. I have all of Their albums, and have been a fan for quite some time (hate to say it, but Tiny Toons indroduced me). I really like Stomp Box as 1) a parody of bad bubble-gum-punk, and 2) for a loud, hard song. I think that its a really diverse song, in that you can take the words seriously and feel pumped-up, or just laff at who it pokes fun at. While I'm rambling, I'd also like to say that Tiny Toons _is_ worthy of Their music, and that it got a whole new crowd of younger people into Their music. I did start off on Flood, but then bought Lincoln, Apollo 18, ect, down to Back to Skull and WDTSS(and just go tthe video comp). I've only been able to hit one show, but it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Um.. that's all I have to say for now, thanks for reading. -Jesse- --- Brand new TMBG web page! http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg.html Please send me ideas and suggestions on what you want on it at either- alittlew@reed.edu, or alittlew@europa.com. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 15:30:25 +1200 From: sjp6@waikato.ac.nz (Sam Pearson) Subject: interview with TMBG For the people who were complaining about the lack of info on this list lately, here's an interview with TMBG from 1995 (JH tour). It is a bit old, so all the info may already be known, but hey, you've got it anyway. THEY MIGHT NOT BE SATIRISTS - NZ Herald, May 19, 1995 By Russell Baillie. (Intros etc)... But having gone all crowded and musical on us, it might seem TMBG are risking the reason they stood out in the first place: that they were a twosome trying to sound like a band but failing in all sorts of interesting ways. And now they are one "We never intended to be satirical," Linnell says. "Our music isn't about other music. It sometimes refers to other music but I think that we didn't want it to come off strictly as ironic. I think that it's possible to perceive it as something original, and that is what we are trying for, rather than a parody or something that is a knocking down something else to gain its identity" The duo last toured here at the time of their major-label debut album, Flood, which brought them to wider international attention with the single Birdhouse in Your Soul. That was followed by Apollo 18, then last year's emsemble-approach John Henry album, one review of which favourably likened them to a "piss-taking, indie Talking Heads." The big band approach grew after taking on extra musicians when they toured for Apollo 18. Back home in New York, they decided to audition musicians for an expanded line-up. "It's funny because it's the thing that everyone else has always done, so probably it's the least avant-garde thing we could possibly do, but for us it was new." There were detractors among the fans. Well, at least one. "Almost no one complained at first and last year we were doing a show in New York where someone had leafleted the crowd and requested that everybody chant 'Lose the band,' but nobody took up the chant. It was one lone person's attempt to send a message to us." "Generally the opinion has been over whelmingly positive about the band and it doesn't surprise me that much, because for the nine years that John and I were a duo we had people constantly asking us when we were going to get a band." Songwriting-wise, Linnell says there hasn't been much change between him and Flansburgh. The 20 terse tracks of John Henry would seem to bear this out. Bigger band or not, they still like 'em short. And insidiously catchy. "Yeah, we like the idea of the very brief expression. It hasn't lost any of its appeal for me." "On the album before John Henry, we had a piece of music called Fingertips that was composed mostly of just choruses of songs. Some were 10 seconds or less. They were justcut together in different keys and tempos. It's kind of inspired by the experience you have of watching an ad for a [song] collection on TV, where they just play all the choruses and the titles are scrolling up the screen. There are commercials like that I remember from being a kid and seeing them over and over again. I never got to hear the whole song in any of them, so I actually know a lot of choruses from those songs - I think of them as complete musicial experiences." "Its something that you get a lot in fiction. People write a story and when it ends you don't get to find out what happens after the ending. People don't seem dissatisfied with that as an aspect of writing. I think it applies just as well to music. We have always been interested in songwriting primarily and we've had a real interest in form: We love choruses and verses and bridges. It seems like a playground for us, just being able to construct songs. So while it might seem to some people we are being ironic, we really do love the music that we sound like." With an irony-free decade in existence, TMBG now seem settled at a level of largish cult group like, say, the Violent Femmes. One that happily doesn't fit into the current rock scheme of things but still manages to tour and release records regularly for a faithful audience. Linnell likes it that way:"If we have to pick somewhere to be, it's nice to create our own audience and have them be defined by their interest in us rather than some other demographic category. "Not that I am particularly into them, but I think the Grateful Dead got it right by coming up with their own audience. It's obviously given them longevity because they are not riding some trend. In a certain way, they invented their whole scene from scratch." -Russell Baillie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 21:43:22 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: edible pajamas One more thing: My awesome VOTE ON THE WEB page, from NoixePage, will soon be located, as soon as I get some CGI help, at: http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/noixe/tmbgbwo.htm Right now, you'll get the stupid Super Suit pages, soon you'll be able to vote. PLEASE DO! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:06:22 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Carl Flatowicz <00206716@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Does anybody else have this??? I am new to this list and am unaware of previous discussions and such but think that I have someting of great importance. I recently bought a live CD of TMBG recorded in Oct. 1994. The CD was released be the record company so it is legit but it was never for sale...only distributed to radio stations. It is probably the BEST live recording I have ever heard from any band! I am wondering if this CD is rare or if most hardcore fans of TMBG already have this. If not I'd be happy to make copies for all if a tape and return postage is sent to me. E-mail me private and we'll work out a deal. I want to trade for other quality live TMBG recordings (no tape recorder up your ass recordings if you know what I mean) -Jason Flatowicz ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:10:52 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Carl Flatowicz <00206716@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Does anybody else have this??? I am new to this list and am unaware of previous discussions and such but think that I have someting of great importance. I recently bought a live CD of TMBG recorded in Oct. 1994. The CD was released be the record company so it is legit but it was never for sale...only distributed to radio stations. It is probably the BEST live recording I have ever heard from any band! I am wondering if this CD is rare or if most hardcore fans of TMBG already have this. If not I'd be happy to make copies for all if a tape and return postage is sent to me. E-mail me private and we'll work out a deal. I want to trade for other quality live TMBG recordings (no tape recorder up your ass recordings if you know what I mean) -Jason Flatowicz P.S. Also, when is the release date of any TMBG singles or albums. I've heard so many rumours. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 00:15:55 -0500 (EST) From: Erik Subject: Re: some questions Delurk-- On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > > 2) When was the last time someone saw Flansburgh come out after a concert > > to sign autographs? > > Same as No. 1 > I did once. he signed my ticket stub on October 23 1994 at the Tower Theater in lovely Upper Darby Pa. Relurk-- Erik ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 21:18:34 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: Evil Plots! Think about it... TMBG could also be used for Chemistry... Just play "Why Does the Sun Shine"... Hey... that could score browny points with the teacher, while getting your peers interested in TMBG. On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Anne Warren King wrote: > > > > On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > > When I was in Bio. today, we were doing this whole vertebrate thing that I > > did in fourth grade and the metabolism sure came up alot, so I said to the > > (student) teacher, "If I bring in a song about mammals can I get extra > > credit?" and she said sure, so... > > > > I"LL EXPOSE MY ENTIRE BIO CLASS TO TMBG! ...0 (I wouldn't have to use caps if > > we hadn't just had that whole discussion on CAPS) > > > > me who is slightly upset but not as much as the voices in my head that people > > have started using my me who end of lettter thing and is about to slap a > > patent on it > > > What a great idea! i should try that on my bio teacher. He writes songs > about biology that we have to sing in class, but his lyrics are not very > good (a recent example is the rap entitled "plants make it so you can > shake it/you gotta burn it to boogie"(this would be glucose)) > So, not only could I expose my class; I could help my teacher to become > a superior songwriter (well, i guess it's kind of hard to write songs about > glycolysis (wow, I think i spelled that wrong)) > *------------------------------------------------------------ | garthi@teleport.com | *------------------------------------------------------------ | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| | helps to know the answer. | *------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:46:19 +0000 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: censorship (fwd) I deleted all of the earlier names for everyone's convience. sorry about the chain mail. :) >>>Please take part in this because it is really interesting, I hate chain >>>mail but this ight make a difference and could screw up some important >>>people. >>> >>> Grizzly >>> >>>>To whoever may read this, >>>>This is not a typical chain letter, in that by passing it on to as >>>>many people as you can, you are taking part in what may yet become >>>>the world's biggest practical joke. The U.S. Government has recently >>>>passed an act which enforces censorship on the internet. A group of >>>>internet users has now come together to kick back at this oppression, >>>>and have a bit of fun at the same time. >>>>The aim of this exercise is to re-establish the United States as "The >>>>land of the Free", not a fascist state where freedom of speech and >>>>thought are curtailed. >>>>On receiving this letter, please pass it on to as many friends or >>>>E-mail lists as you can. We predict that if everybody copies the >>>>letter to 5 other addresses, by February 29th 1996, this letter >>>>should have reached in excess of 2 million people. That's when the >>>>fun begins........ >>>>On February 29th, please send the message: >>>> >>>>Dear Mr. President, >>>>Do you remember this: >>>> >>>>And afterwards enclose the pre-typed copy of the Bill of rights. By >>>>sending the letter on the date above, you will contribute to >>>>one huge petition for freedom (which may lead to an unintended crash of >>>>the whitehouse server...). Send all letters to: >>>>President@Whitehouse.gov >>>> >>>>Remember that solidarity is the key to success >>>> THE BILL OF RIGHTS >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment I >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or >>>> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of >>>> speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to >>>> assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment II >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free >>>> state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be >>>> infringed. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment III >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without >>>> the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be >>>> prescribed by law. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment IV >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, >>>> and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be >>>> violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, >>>> supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the >>>> place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment V >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous >>>> crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except >>>> in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when >>>> in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any >>>> person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of >>>> life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a >>>> witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or >>>> property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be >>>> taken for public use, without just compensation. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment VI >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a >>>> speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and >>>> district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district >>>> shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of >>>> the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the >>>> witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining >>>> witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his >>>> defense. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment VII >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed >>>> twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no >>>> fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of >>>> the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment VIII >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor >>>> cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment IX >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be >>>> construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Amendment X >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor >>>> prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states >>>> respectively, or to the people. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:56:34 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: re: protest (fwd) Ok, here's to all you kids who have been posting about the government protest thingy-- It's not about THEM! :) -jenny, who's got dishpan hands. Friends- Recently, I've received a few similar e-mails from a few of you regarding a planned protest on the 29th of February. The plan of the protest is to e-mail a copy of the Bill of Rights to President Clinton, and perhaps to overload the White House e-mail server. I am writing this to you to ask you not to do it, as I believe it is not only a bad idea, but could be detrimental to the anti-internet censorship cause. The main faults with this message are due to it's placement and form. The first problem with this message is that it is poorly placed. Yes, Bill Clinton signed the Telecomm Bill that included provisions for net censorship, but it was previously passed by Congress before it got to his desk. In addition, any veto by Clinton could have been later overturned by Congress. It should also be noted that sending the _Bill of Rights_ to the _President_ is not the least bit insulting and immature. Also, you may take notice that the Bill of Rights does say "CONGRESS shall make no laws etc etc" repeatedly. The second problem with this message is its form. E-mail is still secondary to paper/snail mail in terms of credibility. We could all cut and paste the Bill of Rights and send several copies to the White House in a matter of a few minutes. But politicians (and, I would hope, the rest of us) still take paper mail more seriously and will notice a significant amount of paper mail regarding one subject. So if you really want to communicate something to people in Washington, use snail mail. Lastly, we should consider what kind of message we would really be sending if we were to 'bomb' the White House with e-mail. Do internet users need to look like childish terrorists who will cause trouble rather than express their grievances in an intelligent and mature manner? This is not the way to tell our government that we do not need to be supervised, censored, or watchdogged in any fashion. Please consider these arguments, and reconsider sending the aforementioned message to the White House. I appreciate you reading this, and also welcome any discussion on the subject. In addition, if you agree with what I've said, please forward this message on to others. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael Wyzard Mikewyz@aol.com ------------------------------ From: nnicole@hooked.net Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 21:09:45 +0000 Subject: TMBG tribute I shared the list with my pals at school, and we came up with the following: Alvin and the Chipmunks-- Birdhouse in Your Soul Bryan Adams-- Cowtown Boys II Men-- O Do Not Forsake Me Genesis-- They'll Need a Crane Sex Pistols-- Dig My Grave ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-59 *****************************