Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-61 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 61 Friday, 1 March 1996 Today's Topics: These are the Answers COuntdown! Re: Threads Re: Threads You scratch my back, I'll scratch your record Re: These are the Answers Hotel Detective Remixes concerts GROOVY CONCERT!!! TMBG CDs for sale Got her ear to the wall... Legal way to protest Show at E-town! Re: COuntdown! DJs HELLO CLUB KILL SHANE MARKLE Re: HELLO CLUB Re: Got her ear to the wall... Re: Got her ear to the wall... Hudson Shad Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 06:59:29 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: These are the Answers 1)I have no clue who Joshua Fried is, but he did a pretty good job of fucking World's Address into dance-ness. It's tolerable. 2)Yes, The Replacements are actually a band who do a good deal of making fun of themselves/the whole rock and roll experience. 3)The remixes: As far as I can tell, there is *absolutely* no difference 'twixt the Donut Let's Start on TMBG and the one on the single/Misc. T. I actually have the single and I cannot find a single difference, except for the fact that the "I don't want to live..." part was a little phased out on the single. This was my stereo talking. As for (She was a) Hotel Detective, there are three versions, all unique: a)The TMBG version. b)The Single version. c)The Back to Skull version. The TMBG version is the one we all know and love. The single version, as played on Misc. T, is basically the same, except there is a nifty fade in part at the beginning when the band's just screwing around and the drummer is playing a little loop. Then, the song starts. The BTS version is the elevator-music-meets-house version, which I can't stand. Now you know. Now, some questions from me: 1)Does anybody want to sell me any singles I don't have? 2)Are TMBG ever coming to the south? 3)When will I actually hear James K. Polk? Have fun. I will have the voting page up shortly...be there! ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: COuntdown! Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 8:36:23 18000 Hey everybody! I just remembered something that was driving me nuts and that this list can help you with! If, at any of the other concerts during the John Henry tour, if you went, I would like your help reconstructing the countdown before the show (If they, in fact did it there) In tallahassee, at least, the parts I remember are: People yell : 10! Announcer : You wave your ten fingers in the air... PPl: 9! Ann: Your nine toes wiggle in anticipation... Ppl: 8! Ann: You've already forgotten what you ate for dinner. Ppl: 7! Ann (I fogrot this one) Ppl: 6! Ann: ..... YOu feel six. Ppl: 5! Ann: (forgot this one, and 4!) Ann: That means there's only Ppl: 3! Ann: things remaining between you and ... something about They Might Be Giants being great, etc. Ppl: 2! Ann: Two of them are security guards. Which means the Ppl: 1! Ann: thing remaining between you and the concert is the Ppl: Zero! Ann: Who's doing this countdown. I don't mean to be the PPl: Negative One! Ann: But you'd be Ppl: Negative Two! Ann: Something something...... Okay, so the number I need are 7, 5, 4, and specific correction on any if you've got em! -Tom I guess (If I had known I was expecting) -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 09:38:02 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Threads > 3) Do the single mixes of Hotel Detective and Don't Let's Start sound the > same as the originals to anyone else? No they don't. On Don't Let's Start listen to the drums on the one on They Might Be Giants and the Bside, thier different, the guitar playing is different (its hard to discribe but it you put both of them on a tape and listen to them you can tell the diffrence). And in Hotel Detecitive (I haven' t really listened to these two side by side), but I can kinda tell a guitar diffrence in that. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 09:51:01 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Threads > > 3) Do the single mixes of Hotel Detective and Don't Let's Start sound the > > same as the originals to anyone else? > Hotel Detective '94 is very escellent, I like it much better than (don't flame me > pls.!) the much inferior original Hotel Detective. > Don't Let's Start remix? huh? I think he ment the diffrence between the one on They Might Be Giants and the one on Misc. T (or the don't lets start single, which ever you have or if you both). But I wouldn't say that the original Hotel Detetive is inferior or a bad song and besides it has a nifty video and its a song that you can turn up loud and not have to think about. I do like both songs however. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:02:57 -0500 (EST) From: Nola Weaver Subject: You scratch my back, I'll scratch your record Well, actually, I can't scratch your record because my show format is given to me. My point being I am also among the ranks of college djs. I am on WTSR 560AM Towson State radio, a mere 25 watts carrier current, but neato keen. I start Saturday for a 10-noon show, and I used to "intern" at WMTB Emmitsburg MD (Mount St. Mary's College). That's all I got to say, but thanks Jenny, because I was wondering how many djs are on here too. -------NoLa ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:16:22 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: These are the Answers >As for (She was a) Hotel Detective, there are three versions, all unique: >a)The TMBG version. >b)The Single version. >c)The Back to Skull version. actually, there are only two songs names (She Was a) Hotel Detective: 1) The TMBG version 2) The version on the single/misc. t (i'm assuming these are exactly the same) there IS, however, a song called She Was A Hotel Detective, which can be found on the Back To Skull Single. I consider this a completely different song altogether (and not a remix) for two reasons: 1. It has a different name (no parenthesis) 2. It has completely different words, aside from the phrase "Hotel Detective" I hope this helps all the other people in the world to think a little more like me (and Exon hopes his bill does the same...) Paul Leonard *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Play Nomic! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ackanomic.html *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:27:14 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Hotel Detective Remixes So far, the only differences I can identify between the two Hotel Detectives (Not the Back to Skull, which a. I haven't heard and b. is rumored to be a different song entirely) is the Sound quality on the vocal track. On the Debut version, there is a little bit more decay on the opening bit, so the "Whoo!", etc. fades out faster. Also, the melody and harmony seem to be the same strength. Now, in contrast, the Misc. T version was a little more reverb on the vocals, and the harmony is balanced lower. (If I don't make any sense, it's ok. I'm using sound-man speech, learned from hanging around recording studios too much. (: ) Love and peace and reverb, 'Nette *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob." "You have no idea." - Pinky & the Brain *------------------------------------------------------------------- "Done someone wrong, and I fear that it was me" - TMBG, "Sapphire Bullets" *------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette C. Frost Trenton State College Frost@trenton.edu #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:50:14 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: concerts Would everyone please post any concerts they have heard about and wether or not they are positive the date is corect thank You, Joe ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: GROOVY CONCERT!!! Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 10:43:00 P About 5 years ago, in '91, I saw TMBG in concert down in California. I have been meanng to tell you this, because they were opening for a groovy band. Actually I don't like this band, but they played one kick ass song. LOVE SHACK. THEY were opening for the B52's. It was pretty cool. The whole crowd sang along to love shack, and I think most of the people liked THEY better than the B52's. The B52's did a bad job that night!!! Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ Date: 28 Feb 1996 18:02:00 +0100 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: TMBG CDs for sale Organization: The International Obscure Mailers Some days ago I posted a message with these CDs for sale. I have received too much emails to answer everebody personally, so here's your last chance to have (one of) these in your collection: Please note that European prices are a lot higher than US prices, so I am only selling these if I don't lose money. o Australian import version of John Henry. Contains the 20 JH tracks plus a bonus CD5 with 6 live versions from the "Live in NYC" promo live CD (Don't let's start, Ana Ng, Particle man, Statue got me high, Birdhouse in your soul and Twistin') > Highest bid: $30 o The guitar (the lion sleeps tonight) CD-Single. This is the European version of the CD5, which has the UK single edit, the Williamsburgh extended mix, Cabbagetown and Siftin'. > Highest bid: $10 (several, so please reconsider your bid if possible). o Ana Ng CD5. This a European CD-Single released by Elektra in 1991 and has a Misc.T-alike cover. The songs on the CD5 are Ana Ng, They'll need a crane, (She was a) hotel detective and Don't let's start. > Highest bid: $10 (also a couple of bids). Bids for all three in one buy are preferred, but not necessary. No trades possible (only for an original demo-tape). ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:14:54 E Subject: Got her ear to the wall... In light of the recent mailings about the versions of Hotel Detective, I noticed animosity towards it (whether it be the original version or the new BTS song) and I was just wondering about that...I like the new song a lot (I love that sort of mellow disco sound) and have no hard feelings for but don't LOVE the original HD. Here's a poll for you: Which HD are you lovin' the best? Are you lovin' it at all? Why not? Wipe that scowl off your face. I just loved Back to Skull when I got it...I just sat and replayed Ondine, HD and Mrs Train over and over...perhaps it was also because it had been a long time since I had heard NEW They songs and I was just reveling in it...but I really love BTS. Love love love...okay here I am getting carried away...Anyway, what is it about any version of HD that you don't like? Forget about it, cause she's a Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:20:17 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Legal way to protest Sorry for this short non-TMBG note, but I think this is important: If you want to protest the Communications Decency Act in a *legal* way, check out: http://www.cdt.org/ciec/join_ciec.html Thank you and bye. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 16:53:15 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: Show at E-town! Hi everyone, happy leap year! This is cortney, I need your help! Does anybody out there (please!) have any info regarding the show at Elizabethtown College? I know that's on April 12th, but I need info on where to get tickets, show time, ticket prices, etc. So, if ya could, please email me with any info you might have! Thanks a bunch in advance! ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu http://tiger.uofs.edu/student/ck8 sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:04:55 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: COuntdown! >Hey everybody! I just remembered something that was driving me nuts >and that this list can help you with! If, at any of the other concerts >during the John Henry tour, if you went, I would like your help >reconstructing the countdown before the show (If they, in fact did it >there) In tallahassee, at least, the parts I remember are: I got this from Utopia Parkway (http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/kmpicker/): >The Infamous Countdown > >For those of you who don't know about the, um, infamous countdown, it is >the wonderous thing heard at many old and some recent live TMBG shows, >immediately prior to the appearance of Them. > >Courtesy of "amcruz@minerva.cis.yale.edu (silly rabbi--trix are for >yids)"'s 6 Nov 1994 02:41:29 GMT post to alt.music.tmbg: > > ten! your ten fingers reach into the air > > nine! your nine toes wriggle in anticipation > > eight! already you've forgotten what you ate for dinner > > seven! seven stagehands reach for the one remaining beer > > six! you feel six > > five! only five seconds remain until they might be giants hits the stage >over and over again > > four! no one seems to know what this is for > > three! only three things stand between you and this evening's event...and > > two! of them are huge security guards. which means the > > one! obstacle remaining is the > > zero! who's holding up this show with this countdown. i don't mean to be the > > negative one! but you'd be > > negative two! if it weren't for the fabulous show you're about to enjoy. >ladies and gentlemen, please welcome... > > Hope this helps. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Subject: DJs Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:08:55 -5300 (EST) From: "** JEN TSAO **" *************** My friend and I are DJs. We (I) make sure to play as many TMBG related tracks as possible each show! (Last week we had a "Locale" theme show and played all of Linnell's state songs, Road movie to Berlin, and the ORIGINAL Istanbul (not Constantinople)) Tune in to WBOR 91.1 Brunswick (Maine) if you're, uh... within a two mile radius from my school... *************** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 14:46:57 +1200 From: sjp6@waikato.ac.nz (Sam Pearson) Subject: HELLO CLUB Hello People, I have just realised that with my order I received from HELLO, I didn't get the "My Dad is Dead" CD that was? released in 1995. ARRGGhh. - Has anyone got this CD? - Am I missing out on something really good that I paid for but did not get? - Who was the bastard that stole my CD? I am pretty sure it is not worth all the effort to hassle HELLO to get it, or is it? BOB ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:40:32 -0500 Subject: KILL SHANE MARKLE KILL SHANE MARKLE! TELL HIM TO EMPTY HIS STUPID MAILBOX SO WE CAN SEND MAIL WITHOUT FEAR IN OUR HEARTS! I'm better now that I got that out of me. JaN+sChMAn, who needs more stupid comments to put after his name ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 22:06:18 +1800 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: HELLO CLUB Sam Pearson wrote: > > Hello People, I have just realised that with my order I received from HELLO, I > didn't get the "My Dad is Dead" CD that was? released in 1995. ARRGGhh. > - Has anyone got this CD? > - Am I missing out on something really good that I paid for but did not get? > - Who was the bastard that stole my CD? > > I am pretty sure it is not worth all the effort to hassle HELLO to get it, or is > it? > > BOB Bob, Just call 1-800-HELLO-41 and tell them your membership number and what one you didn't get. They should gladly send it out :) -- Mike Schaefer http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages, The Hello Recording Club Page, and Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 23:20:05 -0500 Subject: Re: Got her ear to the wall... >In light of the recent mailings about the versions of Hotel Detective, >I noticed animosity towards it (whether it be the original version or >the new BTS song) and I was just wondering about that...I like the new >song a lot (I love that sort of mellow disco sound) and have no hard >feelings for but don't LOVE the original HD. Here's a poll for you: >Which HD are you lovin' the best? >Are you lovin' it at all? >Why not? While I prefer the Back to Skull "Hotel Detective" (just love it when Flans hits those high notes!), the original version is good, mindless fun to scream along with, in the right mood. And I really love the animated Johns in the video! I heard they really didn't like how it came out, though--anyone know if this is true and, if so, why? Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 00:57:55 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Got her ear to the wall... On Thu, 29 Feb 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > scream along with, in the right mood. And I really love the animated Johns > in the video! I heard they really didn't like how it came out, > though--anyone know if this is true and, if so, why? Actually, the story I heard is that They liked the animated video 'cause it meant They didn't have to jump around like maniacs like in Their other videos (Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Puppet Head, to name a few). Alex ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 22:08:13 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Hudson Shad I'm looking for some music by Hudson Shad: you know, the guys who sang O Do Not Forsake Me on John Henry. Anybody know of their stuff available commercially? Heard 'em on Garrison Keillor's radio show and they're way cool. But Hawaii ain't exactly "cutting edge" of the music biz. Muchas Mahalos Marco email: myerm@byuh.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-61 *****************************