Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-62 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 62 Saturday, 2 March 1996 Today's Topics: Shane and the Videos Videos Re: KILL SHANE MARKLE Hey Shane, delete some freaking mail! tell me more.... Re: tell me more.... Concerts RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-61 I want Freaksickle...damnit Re: Why... Return to Cranium Re: I want Freaksickle...damnit hotel Re: Got her ear to the wall... Shane and the Videos I want videos! Re: Shane and the Videos COUNTDOWN Re: Got her ear to the wall... New Hotel Dective Difference HD and Shane and all that Videos, Hotel Detectives, and such. Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:51:34 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: Shane and the Videos Don't kill Shane Markle! I have no clue who he is, but it's not his fault that his mailbox is full. No one can mail him and tell him to empty it! Am I the only one who hates the BTS Hotel Detective? It's *sickening* to me. I think the single mix is awesome! Can anyone tell me what happens in all the videos? Please, please? BTW, in I(NC) on Tiny Toons, there is a smashing sound during the drum solo near the end. I swear I heard on the radio once (yes! not kidding!) and they had the smashing sound in it...I wonder if TMBG released one like that? Seems like it would be a waste... ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: riserboy@aol.com ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| KAH is BIN and NOIXE IS FOREVER ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ nquote@aol.com |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:59:54 -0500 Subject: Videos >Actually, the story I heard is that They liked the animated video 'cause >it meant They didn't have to jump around like maniacs like in Their other >videos (Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Puppet Head, to name a few). But at least half the video is non-animated, and the Johns still ham it up pretty good in that one, too. I don't think anyone forced them to jump around if they didn't want to. I'd say their least "jumpy" video (although I haven't seen them all) is "They'll Need A Crane," which they reportedly _hate_, though it's one of my faves! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 96 09:38:00 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: KILL SHANE MARKLE > KILL SHANE MARKLE! > > TELL HIM TO EMPTY HIS STUPID MAILBOX SO WE CAN SEND MAIL WITHOUT FEAR IN OUR > HEARTS! > > I'm better now that I got that out of me. > > JaN+sChMAn, who needs more stupid comments to put after his name > I know. Can't leo just unsubscribe him until he gets a chance to empty his mail box? ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 10:35:47 E Subject: Hey Shane, delete some freaking mail! From: MX%"Post_Office@eagle.web.apc.org" 29-FEB-1996 17:03:39.41 To: MX%"grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu" CC: Subj: NDN: Got her ear to the wall... From: Post_Office@eagle.web.apc.org (Post Office) To: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Subject: NDN: Got her ear to the wall... Date: 29 Feb 1996 21:00:54 GMT Sorry. Your message could not be delivered to: Shane Markle (Mailbox or Conference is full.) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:51:33 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: tell me more.... This is the first I've heard of Back to Skull. How long has it been out? How many songs are on it? Is it groovy...and worth saving my pennies to buy? ================================================= ; . ; / / Carson Herrick ;__. '\ "...just a guy made of dots and lines." \ | -They Might Be Giants \._| .'-. | \ herrick@cs.utk.edu `-./ \ ; / \. / / ` ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 13:41:54 -0500 (EST) From: Philip Brenner Subject: Re: tell me more.... Hell yes! Hell yes! Back to Skull is very worth every penny your piggy can hold. The updated version of "She was a Hotel Detective" is amazing. Also included for your listening pleasure are: "Snail Shell" "Mrs. Train" "Ondine" It's pretty damned cool, but that's just my 2 Swiss Francs. flip (now dolphin safe!) On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Carson Herrick wrote: > > This is the first I've heard of Back to Skull. > How long has it been out? > How many songs are on it? > Is it groovy...and worth saving my pennies to buy? > ================================================= > ; > . ; > / / Carson Herrick > ;__. '\ "...just a guy made of dots and lines." > \ | -They Might Be Giants > \._| > .'-. | \ herrick@cs.utk.edu > `-./ \ > ; > / \. > / > / > ` > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 17:09:19 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: Concerts I don't want to harp on about you States-side based They lovers, BUT over the pond in England, I'm getting a bit pi$$ed off that in all this concert activity, They're not playing at least one show in England. They usually play London, but They don't seem to be doing even that this time. Please, please, please can someone who knows Them, or Their management, persuade Them to come over here for just one show. Phil "No Sig Required" Moss PS. How would the 'foreign-based' Giants fans get to the Flesh Fest? That's if we wanted to!! ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 15:47:42 EST Subject: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-61 Hey! I just thought I would add my $.02 about the Hotel Detective thread. I love the original version, and can't tell the difference between it and the Misc T version. I also LOVE the Back To Skull song. It's so excellent and discoey and dancey! You just can't go wrong. If you can dance to it, it's good in my book. :) Cool. On another note, I - too - am looking for info concerning the Elizabethtown concert. I'm wondering if we can get tix via ticketmaster and if so, when do they go on sale?? Thanks! -Tara ------------------------------ From: MrJohnV@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 15:54:40 -0500 Subject: I want Freaksickle...damnit I was just listening to Misc T and I realized what a good disc it made it has to be one of the best I've heard, it's just a collection of such good songs, not that any Giants able isn't a collection of good songs but Misc T just works so well... This got me thinking that Freaksickle would be great...with songs like Ant and James K Polk (Istanbul Single) and Cabbagetown and Siftin' (I palindrome I single)... Anyway my conclusion is that Their B-sides are really good. Really really good...and I want Freaksickle Damnit...I've got all (I think) the songs that would be on it anyway but it would be so good... I also heard a rumor that They put out a Mini Disc (MD) of some kind when the MD industry tried to push them in record stores like Tower records...this was somewhere in Boston...did anyone else hear about this? John who just doesn't want to sig allright? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 15:32:08 -0600 (CDT) From: Joey Namgar Subject: Re: Why... Personally, I love "Stompbox". It appeals to my more eclectic taste, which I guess is why I like TMBG in the first place. Bands devoted to a specific genre are ok, but I have trouble listening to a whole album. "Stompbox" is also fun when I'm really hyper. Try dancing to it. Rock's Chosen Warriors Will Rule The Apocalypse! (jr10899@www.cedarnet.org) On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Rian Rutherford wrote: > Everyone seems to find Stompbox as their least favourite song. I would > like to hear all your reasonings on this, I could find songs that I found > much more annoying. I'm not asking to be flamed, I'm asking for bona-fide > answers. > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > | garthi@teleport.com | > ------------------------------------------------------------ > | When working towards the solution of a problem, it always| > | helps to know the answer. | > ------------------------------------------------------------ > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 17:31:16 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: Return to Cranium Back to Skull, you will like it. Here's what's on it: Snail Shell (The regular) Ondine (A detective sounding song) She Was a Hotel Detective (I'm not saying anything...) Mrs. Train (A rather repetitive but constantly speeding and adding instruments song) Snail Dust (The Dust Brothers' remix) (Funky sounding, starts on beat 2.5) ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: tmbgbwo.html (instead ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| of noixep.htm at the end.) ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ One of few NyQuil Drivers. |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 18:23:42 -0500 Subject: Re: I want Freaksickle...damnit y my conclusion is that Their B-sides are really good. Really really >good...and I want Freaksickle Damnit...I've got all (I think) the songs that >would be on it anyway but it would be so good... I agree. I also have most of the stuff that would be on it anyway, but it would be great to have it all on one full-length cd, not to mention that there are lots of people who simply can't find the singles anywhere. >I also heard a rumor that They put out a Mini Disc (MD) of some kind when the >MD industry tried to push them in record stores like Tower records...this was >somewhere in Boston...did anyone else hear about this? You must be referring to the mini-singles for "Don't Let's Start," "They'll Need a Crane," and "Hotel Detective." I own the first one and have seen the second, but not the third. They don't have anything that isn't on Misc. T, but they're still very cool. Kay ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: hotel Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 20:40:45 -0500 (EST) Heya all I agree with those who say that the '94 Hotel Detective is a different song, just about everything about it is different. This is why I'd probaably rate the Back to Skull version as possibly the best song they have ever done compared to the original which is probably down there as one of my least liked. I guess this is another reason why I think they are totally different. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Got her ear to the wall... Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 20:49:39 -0500 (EST) > > >In light of the recent mailings about the versions of Hotel Detective, > >I noticed animosity towards it (whether it be the original version or > >the new BTS song) and I was just wondering about that...I like the new > >song a lot (I love that sort of mellow disco sound) and have no hard > >feelings for but don't LOVE the original HD. Here's a poll for you: > >Which HD are you lovin' the best? > >Are you lovin' it at all? > >Why not? > > > While I prefer the Back to Skull "Hotel Detective" (just love it when Flans > hits those high notes!), the original version is good, mindless fun to > scream along with, in the right mood. And I really love the animated Johns > in the video! I heard they really didn't like how it came out, > though--anyone know if this is true and, if so, why? > > Kay > Actually I think it's Linnell doing the high parts I think I saw him singing it at the 2 concerts recently. Also, I woulda never guessed but he sang Whistling in the Dark (the really low singing) too. I woulda guessed Flans too. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Shane and the Videos Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 20:57:43 -0500 (EST) > Can anyone tell me what happens in all the videos? Please, please? Umm lemme try to remember I haven't watched it in a bit. Puppet Head, they're standing on this land near the water and bouncing around and they look erally young, I think it was the oldest of the videos Don't Let's Start, they do the DLS dance where they put their hands on their faces and there are those people with the giant heads over their bodies Hotel Detective has the Johns as cartoons and they drive around and go into the hotel and it's funny Ana Ng is the best, they do the Ana Ng dance where they put their arm out and bow and stuff and they walk up to each other heads down and shake each others hands and in the beginning they are at these desks with maps on them and they are banging the tables next to the telephones andthey are gritting their teeth and they're also running around They'll Need a Crane has them with the old dudes playing the other instruments and their in that big gazebo type thing and then they go rowing in the boats Purple Toupee, damn I can't rmember what happens in that one I'll have to watch the videos again. Anything to add? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 21:28:17 -0500 Subject: I want videos! To the guy who sells videos on the shores of Maryland, I need TMBG videos! Send me your adress and the exact price and all that crap like that. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 22:30:43 -0500 Subject: Re: Shane and the Videos In a message dated 96-03-01 20:56:36 EST, you write: >Puppet Head, they're standing on this land near the water and bouncing around >and they look erally young, I think it was the oldest of the videos. And it has Linnell making the funniest facial expressions, like pushing his ear forward and sticking his toungue out. Also, Flans does some kind of neck-jerk thing at the end that's hard to describe but pretty cool. >Purple Toupee, damn I can't rmember what happens in that one I'll have to >watch the videos again. Well, it cuts between shots of the Johns playing guitar and accordian at very high speed and shots of an amusement park (I forget which one, but I think I've also seen this place recently in a Natalie Merchant video--anyone know what I'm talking about?) The only Elektra video I've seen is the one for "Istanbul," a cheesy combo of stop-motion animation and regular cartoons, with one still shot of the Johns at the beginning. Now, can anyone describe any of the other Elekra videos ("Birdhouse," Statue," "The Guitar" or "Snail Shell")? And what are y'all's favorite videos? Mines "Puppet Head," so far. Kay ------------------------------ From: bwhite@ycp.edu Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 22:43:44 EDT Subject: COUNTDOWN to whomever posted a request for the countdown, here's the copy i got from the digest a while ago. as my memory isn't perfect, i've accepted this version as the truth. i've only heard it done at one of three concerts i've attended. enjoy! bryan -------------------- 10! Your ten fingers wave in the air. 9! Your nine toes wriggle with anticipation. 8! You already forgot what you ate for dinner. 7! Seven stagehands reach for the one remaining beer. 6! You feel six. 5! Only five seconds until They Might Be Giants hit the stage over and over again. 4! No one seems to know what this is for. 3! Only three things remain between you and tonight's feature attraction, and 2! of them are huge security guards, which means that the 1! remaining thing is the 0! who's holding up the show with this countdown. I don't mean to be the -1!, but you'd be -2! if it wasn't for the great show you are about to see. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome... They Might Be Giants !!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 96 23:09:45 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: Re: Got her ear to the wall... >Actually I think it's Linnell doing the high parts I think I saw him singing it >at the 2 concerts recently. Also, I woulda never guessed but he sang Whistling in >the Dark (the really low singing) too. I woulda guessed Flans too. Please >correct me if I'm wrong. >Matt at the last concert i went to Flans did the high part in She Was a Hotel Detective. i think Linnell did a lot of the lower range singing. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 22:23:03 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: New Hotel Dective Difference Hmm... I seem to be the only one who notices a difference between the single and TMBG versions... Maybe I'm nuts and I need to listen to them both again, but i think that the TMBG version is more synth-y and the Misc T version is..."heavier"...with more guitar and bari-sax. (I like it better...coolest sax riff...) And I like both those two and the BTS remake....but then when people are arguing over bands I'm usally the one who says "I like em both". Turncoat that I am. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sat, 02 Mar 1996 00:02:12 E Subject: HD and Shane and all that A big warm fuzzy tanks to all who replied about Hotel Detective. I definitely notice a difference from TMBG to Misc T I listened to Back to Skull and I Palindrome I singles today and was wondering if anyone knows anything about that nifty reggae number Larger Than Life...I have to go find the lyrics b/c I could come up with some strange ones for that baby. I feel kinda bad for Shane Markle...everyone wants to lynch him and he's just some poor guy whose mailbox is full...anyone got his home number? Also what is being said in I Palindrome I that sounds like: Big gallop pace tone delipsofad ooh...? I'm too lazy to do ye olde lyrics server thing. Hey the good thing about this Shane mess is that now he's like famous on the mailing list whereas I'm just the weird girl who writes top ten lists sometimes like: TRACY'S TOP TEN SHANE MARKLE EXCUSES FOR NOT EMPTYING MAILBOX: 10. Defected from TMBG list and is now a big Devo fan. 9. Can't stand all that propaganda about the Comm. Decency Act. 8. Decided to abandon technology and live in a commune. 7. He just plain forgot (oops!) 6. Is now living in the Witness Protection Program as Mark Shanele. 5. Was drafted into the IRA. 4. too embarassed to reply to mail after showing up in Chris's backyard in Oklahoma naked, waiting for the Flesh Fest to begin. 3. Is stuck in a really interesting game of Minesweeper. 2. His America Online 10 free hours are up. 1. Amnesia. Thanks you and goodnight! Tracy Marie elizaBeth Grazioli ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 02:27:31 -0500 Subject: Videos, Hotel Detectives, and such. Greetings. On the Hotel Detective discussion: I highly recommend Back To Skull. It is more than worth it's weight in gold. Okay, so CDs aren't very heavy. That still doesn't diminish it's value. I like the Back To Skull version of "Hotel Detective" a bit more for some reason. It could be that disco beat. It could be that falsetto. Also, when I saw THeM at Tramps on NYE, Mr. F sang the high parts in "Hotel Discotective." As per the videos: I like "They'll Need A Crane" because it was filmed in a part of Central Park that I love. And the "Hotel Detective" video was shown in a friend's animation class (at NYU. It almost made me wish that I had been an animation major, instead of film.) But "Puppet Head" happens to be my favorite song, so thus I guess that is my favorite of THeIR videos, of those I have seen. Nonetheless, I love the "Ana Ng" handshake. It makes me smile. So, in the end, I am just muddled with indecision. It's just much too hard to pick one video over another. Speaking of videos - Does anyone have the week of Post Modern MTV that THeY hosted a _long_ time ago on tape? If you do, kindly e-mail me. I lost the copy I made of it, and my life hasn't been the same since. Love, Babbling Brooksie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-62 *****************************