Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-64 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 64 Monday, 4 March 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Hey, Mr. (Ms.) DJs! 2 b-sides albums??? Sex Music Sex Music Thank you! Re: Hotel detective and b-sides Re: MiniDisc? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-63 Hotel Detective Lyrics Stoner/sex musak. . You son of a bitch, I palindrome I Re: Hotel Detective Lyrics Re: You son of a bitch, I palindrome I (none) HD lyrics The TMBG Movie!!! Re: Stoner Music? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: Hey, Mr. (Ms.) DJs! Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 00:39:04 -0800 (PST) > Hello. I was just beginning to be curious, how many of you guys are > DJs? C'mon, raise your hands... Nope. Just like the song. (JD-DJ) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 15:22:19 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: 2 b-sides albums??? On Sat, 2 Mar 1996 klamb@ecentral.com wrote: > Also, i heard that they're talking about releasing 2 b-sides albums at > the same time: Superfuled Freaksickle, with all of the good stuff and > "Crappy" on vinyl with, well the crappy stuff. Can anyone tell me if > this is true? Sounds like someone's taking the piss to me. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 10:50:51 -0500 From: noise@nando.net (NyQuil Driver) Subject: Sex Music I'm not touching that one... ============================================================================ "They say love is blind; |||| VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE THEY MIGHT BE I don't think y'r blind..." |||| GIANTS SONG AT: tmbgbwo.html (instead ==>TMBG, Narrow Yr Eyes |||| of noixep.htm at the end.) ============================================================================ Andy "the anger" Friedman.... |||| You too can visit NoixePage, with the noise@nando.net |||| really long address: riserboy@aol.com |||| http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/ One of few NyQuil Drivers. |||| noixe/noixep.htm =========================================================================== = ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 96 17:05:23 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: Sex Music Stomp box works if you're in a particularly vivacious mood. I guess that all of apollo 18 would work. (Hmmm time for experimentation I see....) Alan, who has something to do now! O- ------------------------------ From: nnicole@hooked.net Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 18:26:45 +0000 Subject: Thank you! Hello I just bought the Moxy Fruvous CD, and I want to thank whoever it was that recommended it. THANK YOU! *mwah!* It's teriffic! Since you're so good at knowing what I like, can you tell me if the Hello thing is worth the 50 beans? Keep in mind that I'm working from an extremely limited, high-school-student-no-job budget. I mean, I could come up with $50, but it would cause financial woe. Worth it? If so, which year is the best? Reply to me privately (nnicole@hooked.net), and I'll reply to the list as per the instructions of 2 days ago. To whoever asked about the Hotel Detective thing: the 94 version rocks, but I intensely dislike the old one. My $.02 To whoever asked about Hudson Shad: I'd heard of one of the Shadders before I picked up John Henry. Peter Becker was on a CD of medieval music I rented from the library a while back. (I also love medieval/Renaissance music, which makes my music mixes very interesting.) I must presume that the other 3 Shadders do some other singing, too-- they're certainly good enough. --nicole (aka the big duluth aka driver) "Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 12:26:40 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Hotel detective and b-sides >Also, i heard that there talking about releasing 2 b-sides albums at >the same time: Superfuled Freaksickle, eith all of the good stuff and >"Crappy" on vinyl with, well the crappy stuff. Can anyone tell me if >this is true? Flans (I think) said this in the last newsletter. I am pretty sure that Crappy was a complete joke. Superfueled Freaksicle was a reality at the time, but now it's VaporWare, apparently. Kaput. :~( I assume J&J will start negotiating w/Elektra about releasing the B-sides at some future date. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 11:06:53 -0800 Subject: Re: MiniDisc? >>>I also heard a rumor that They put out a Mini Disc (MD) of some >>>kind when the MD industry tried to push them in record stores like >>>Tower records...this was somewhere in Boston...did anyone else hear >>>about this? > >actually, I think he was referring to MiniDisc(r), not a CD-3 (3" CD). >They're kinda different from CDs Very different. The MiniDisc is a recordable CD-like format (it does use a laser to read the disc), but the recording technique is a LOSSY algorithm, which means that some information is lost. The idea is that the human ear (and mind) can't process all of the sound information, so the recorder throws away the part that it calculates won't be heard anyway. This means that less information has to be stored on disc, but it also means that people with a better "ear" than average can tell that the music on the MiniDisc is different from that on a regular Compact Disc. But so what? In any case, I've never heard of a They Might Be Giants MD having been released, but if anybody finds out anything, please make sure to send me the information so I can add it to the TMBG discography! -- John -- Chance favors the prepared mind. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 15:38:26 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-63 > Subject: Re: Stoner Music? > > Drugs are bad. > > You should try sex. It is far more pleasureable and if you're thirsty > you even have something to drink at the end. > > TMBG is bad stoner music - good sex music. > > Hump your ladies to the rhythme of ANA NG. > > -Willow Bay > ------------------------------ ...now what kinda woman wants to be humped like that? ...Road Movie to Berlin...or End of the Tour... Now THATs sex music. Not to hard, not to fast... Soft and slow to make it last. -Carson Herrick (just a guy made of dots and lines) ------------------------------ Subject: Hotel Detective Lyrics Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 15:50:48 -0500 (EST) From: "** JEN TSAO **" Today I just felt like figuring out the words to Hotel Detective. It's probably on the web somewhere already but oh well. And I figured since I did all that work I would share the lyrics with people who would appreciate it! I was at the two shows at Tramps in NYC on New Years Eve and they performed it. It was really good! I caught them in Boston at the Paradise also and I think they performed it on that mini tour, too. So hopefully they'll perform it at the Mercury Lounge shows that are coming up this month!! I'm going to the show this week. Anyone else? She Was a Hotel Detective Nightime lady she says maybe In the all night laundromat Wait one minute I have seen her She's a millionaire [CHORUS] [She was a hotel detective But now she's gotten promoted I don't think it was the money She didn't care about expensive things No furs, no pearls, no fancy cars and diamond rings She was a hotel detective But now she's better connected She didn't have to change anything Just the stencil on her window She used to be quite a lady She'd throw the underworld crazy But now she goes in singing and wailing it suits her occupation She read that motel directive It told her she was defective I guess she found an easier way to flatter and she took it Now that lady is running the world] Is she lonely She's the only girl in this back alley way Will she shoot you She won't have to You're already dead [CHORUS] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 16:52:35 -0500 (EST) From: Joseph A Oettinger Subject: Stoner/sex musak. . All my buddies who dig TMBG are stoners as well (we seem to be more of a majority than ever), and I must say I/we love a TMBG album at 4:20 for sure. Though there are many bands out there which can be as appreciated and though there are too many to list,, here are a few: Phish, moe., Medeski Martin & Wood, Zappa, Marley, Miles Davis, Chic Corea, Indigo Girls, the Cure, all the Marsalis' (BTW check out Joe Cool's Blues, which is great jazz with a sense of humor:it's most of the best from the Peanuts cartoon), Beautiful South, Housemartins, Coltrane, Edie Brickell, Billie Holiday(my all-time fav), Bobby McFerrin/YoYo ma, Beatles (fer sure), Danny Elfman(Pee Wee's Big Adventure soundtrack), Pink Floyd (meddle, etc.), oh my there's so many. Cheers, now that I've teased myself long enough, I'm goin to listen to some killer tunes. joe ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Sun, 03 Mar 1996 19:28:53 EST Subject: You son of a bitch, I palindrome I It's: Egad a base tone denotes a bad age... Palindromes are so cool! -Tara ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:34:40 -0500 Subject: Re: Hotel Detective Lyrics In a message dated 96-03-03 15:52:11 EST, you write: >I guess she found an easier way to flatter and she took it > Just so you all know this, I case you didn't, "I guess she found an easier way up the ladder and she took it" ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:34:45 -0500 Subject: Re: You son of a bitch, I palindrome I Has anyone ever noticed that since the mother is saying "you son of bitch" to her son, she is calling herself a bitch? me who asks many too many rhetorical questions and should not have corrected my uncle on his spelling of rhetorical in the mail he sent me ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:53:06 -0500 >Has anyone ever noticed that since the mother is saying "you son of bitch" to >her son, she is calling herself a bitch? Yes, it's wonderfully creepy how this song reflects the passing down of evil from generation to generation, which is further reflected in the circular effect created by the palindromes. As far as lyrics go, it's one of their most tight and unified pieces; very poetic, really. Kay ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Sun, 03 Mar 1996 23:03:24 E Subject: HD lyrics Another correction: It's: She used to be quite a lady She drove the underworld crazy but now she goes insane in her way when it suits her occupation I had noticed that mother-bitch connection like the first time I listened to the song and a couple of people told me I was nuts -- I'm glad to see I'm not more insane than usual. (re: IpI I assumed you all knew what I was talking about)... I listen to TMBG under the influence of NO mind-altering substances and it is the best listening experience I could hope for. I don't consider it stoner music and I REALLY don't consider it sex music (not like I'm having any, but I can't imagine the romance and love pouring forth from "Hearing Aid" at that *special moment*) +frosty the supervisor+ "Oooh Melvin!" +lives by himself....+ Drug free but high on Them, Tracy TRACY'S TOP TEN THINGS TO DO WHILE LISTENING TO TMBG: 10. Clean your dorm room. 9. Wash out your fish tank 8. Draw your math teacher naked. 7. Write out all the scenes from MP & Holy Grail that have Sir Galahad in them in purple marker on your wall. 6. Send a top ten list to the tmbg-list. 5. Learn to country line dance. 4. Dress in plastic and pretend to play the accordion. 3. Eat fajitas. 2. Translate Women and Men into the foreign language of your choice ("Donne e uomi" in italiano) 1. Laugh when your friends say "what the hell is this?" and crank the volume. Once again very tired, Tracy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 22:59:43 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The TMBG Movie!!! Ben or Been here, just after watching _They Might Be Giants_, the movie. My rating: "Delightfully weird." Must-see for TMBG fans. Some important stuff about the movie: Rated G. Music composed by John Barry Screenplay/Based on the play by James Goldman Directed by Anthony Harvey It's soooooo paranoid. The first TMBG album seems paranoid too. featuring: George C. Scott as Justin, the man who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes (he's a classic Paranoid) Joanne Woodward as Dr. Mildred Watson Al Lewis (Grampa from _The Munsters_) Rue McClanahan as Daisy (one of the ladies from _Golden Girls_) Eugene Roche (a familiar screen face) Jack Gilford (another familiar face) I think the movie was done in MCMLXXI, which I think equals 1971. At the end of the movie scrolls this "poem": The human heart can see what is hidden to the eyes, and the heart knows things that the mind does not begin to understand. ***The poem so fits the movie. The movie seems so much like a cult-classic, because of the stodgy editing and the bizarre humor. The acting is better than average but not phenomenal. George C. Scott plays well, but he's sometimes hard to distinguish vocally. Woodward has a well-done dynamic character. ***The name "They Might Be Giants" alludes to Don Quixote, who once confused windmills with giants. Justin in the movie also points out if we didn't think that the world MIGHT BE flat, or if we didn't think that mold MIGHT BE medicine, we would be . . . I think without those amazing discoveries. That's the thing as I understand it: We need to think of the possibilities--they MIGHT BE true. And that interpretation fits the plotline, as Justin acts as a classic paranoid who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and Dr. Mildred *Watson*, who hasn't seen a classic paranoid since, like, 1959, becomes entranced by him, and tries to figure him out. They search for Holmes's nemesis, Professor Moriarty, and in the end, when they are near a dark tunnel, they confront Dr. Moriarty--Or do they? Whatever the case, she and he THINK they see him, and that's all that matters for the flick. ***I looked up the playwright/screenwriter for this movie, James Goldman, and could not find in my library his play. I did find out that he contributed to Sondheim's _Follies_. Small world, eh? ***I'm quite curious to find out how many have seen the movie. I checked it out of the local library; I've had no luck in finding it at video stores. Check your libraries and see if you can check it out if they have it. Well, if you'd like to talk about the movie and its themes, acting, plot, etc., write me or Digest me. Love to hear from you! With all due respect, They MIGHT HAVE BEN or BEEN Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 00:03:39 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: Re: Stoner Music? On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Jason Carl Flatowicz wrote: > Drugs are bad. > > You should try sex. It is far more pleasureable and if you're thirsty > you even have something to drink at the end. > > TMBG is bad stoner music - good sex music. > > Hump your ladies to the rhythme of ANA NG. > Just a note - never have sex to the song "Detachable Penis". It only sacres your boyfriend. (Trust me.) I'd think the b-side of JH is best for lovemaking - it goes fast, then slow, and ends up-tempo yet mellow..... ooh... gonna try that next time. ;) Hoping that this ends the tread, 'Nette *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob." "You have no idea." - Pinky & the Brain *------------------------------------------------------------------- "Done someone wrong, and I fear that it was me" - TMBG, "Sapphire Bullets" *------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette C. Frost Trenton State College Frost@trenton.edu #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-64 *****************************