Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-66 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 66 Wednesday, 6 March 1996 Today's Topics: can't we all just get along? Shane? a note to JaN+sChMAn Indianapolis concert Stoners... Re: Stoners... Re: Indianapolis concert Stoners..... -Reply Newsletters Re: Stoners..... -Reply RE: JH,Apollo 18,Caps, etc. RE: FLESH FEST RE: slogon fest err, something alcohol, maybe? HELP! (Mercury Lounge shows!!) Re: Stoners.... Another newsletter RE: slogon fest err, something Re: Stoners..... Sorry, maybe I did something wrong We Hate TMBG on the cover of JH thanks and sorry again OK, this is the last one Pondering existance in a hick town w/o TMBG Re: TMBG on MTV (kinda sorta maybe) Re: Stoners..... -Reply Apollo 18 Re: TMBG on MTV (kinda sorta maybe) found mr.dj More stuff It's from Tracy, I'm just too lazy to telnet.... An Electrafying Experinece, Bar None (was: Re: DJing TMBG) Re: Stoners..... -Reply Digested reply (too big) Re: Indianapolis concert Another Cover Letter Re: Stoners..... -Reply Re: Indianapolis concert Re: Stoners..... -Reply Re: Another Cover Letter Re: Stoners..... -Reply Meeting Flans stoner parody Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 03:17:08 E Subject: can't we all just get along? Let's keep the dirty language to a minimum in the future for fear of filthying my virgin ears, thank you. I'm getting a little sick of this talk about sex and drugs myself. As I've said before, I don't drink/smoke/get high and if you want to then have a ball I just don't like to find that 13 of my 14 messages from the mailing list are about drugs. Sorry to sound preachy, I just don't like to see fellow TMBG fans fighting over stupid things. The world was moving and Tracy was right there with it and she was...(sorry not TMBG) ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 03:21:26 E Subject: Shane? Hey btw has anyone gotten the mail could not be delivered to Shane Markle recently? I think I've stopped getting it. Could Shane have taken the plunge and cleared ye olde mailbox? Hey Shane baby if you're out there howdy...just curious. Tracy noticed how the name Shane lined up 3 times...woo spooky. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:11:20 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: a note to JaN+sChMAn > > JaN+sChMAn >> >> Do you ever do anything but bitch and moan at what people are talking >> about? From your past posts to the list, it seems as though you don't >> belong here...This is what we talk about..take it or leave it...You're >> more off topic with your complaints than those who you persecute are... >> Dear JaN, While I don't agree totally with this dude (see above), talking about TMBG songs that make you want to give yourself physically and emotionally to another person is much healthier, don't you think, than talking about THEM in relation to say, illegal narcotics? Besides, sex is natural, sex is good, if you don't say yes... I'll make you wish you would. JUST KIDDING! -Carson (just a guy made of dots and lines) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:01:11 -0600 (CST) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Indianapolis concert Could someone please send me the details for the april first indianapolis concert(ie. prices, where I can get tickets, {living in Illinois},where the venue is etc.) although it is a five hour drive from my house, it would be great to see them on my birthday. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:00:28 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Stoners... Jeannette (and everybody else), I stand up and am proud! I do not drink or smoke, and the only drug I take is caffeine (usually in the form of Jolt! cola). It's a very odd experience being 23 years old in the US and not drinking alcohol. People look at you funny. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:48:42 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: Re: Stoners... With the exception of enjoying a good micro brew, or my own, I stay away from the drugs and smoking thing. But hey, if someone else wants to do that stuff, it's their call. >"It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob." > "You have no idea." - Pinky & the Brain Cool quote - NARF :-) dale ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 11:24:53 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: Indianapolis concert Joseph Puscas wrote: > > Could someone please send me the details for the april first indianapolis > concert(ie. prices, where I can get tickets, {living in Illinois},where > the venue is etc.) although it is a five hour drive from my house, it Joe, In the latest issue of "The Octopus" a local paper, there was an ad for the TMBG show here in Champaign on April 2. But, the date was asterisked, and when I called the radio station that is supposed to be sponsoring it they said, "If it's offical we'll make an announcement later this week." So the show at U of I will probably happen :) -- Mike Schaefer http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages, Hello Club pages, and the Mono Puff CD...a more complete collection to follow. :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 08:04:11 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Stoners..... -Reply Cool! I too am a non-user, and as old as the Johns. It's pretty clear that the Johns don't use that stuff. That may be at the root of their continued command of subtlety and creativity in their work. (Sorry, I'm a college teacher. I can't help myself.) Former stoners and wasteds just can't seem to last too long at the apex of their abilities. In fact, I use Them in some of my teaching about creativity. Congrats to all you guys with brains. Course, that's probably why you're in on this list in the first place. -Marc ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:32:14 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Newsletters Here is the first instalment of an ongoing series of posts in which I will transcribe interesting excerpts from the band's many mailings to fans, in case some of you out there don't have them. We begin in 1990. THE MIGHT BE TIMES Volume 1 Number 1 December 18, 1990 Brooklyn, New York Year Of Touring Over, They Might Be Giants Return Home To Brooklyn by Francis X. Scarbo, Special to The Might Be Times BROOKLYN, Dec. 17-After thirteen months of touring in support of their hit album "Flood", They Might Be Giants have returned to their beloved Brooklyn to enjoy some well deserved rest and relaxation. Having just completed a month long tour of the Pacific, with stops in Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia and Japan, the band will play four shows at Greenwich Village's historic Village Gate night club on December 30th and 31st, before beginning several months hiatus from touring. Their next big project will be to write and record the songs for their as yet untitled fourth full length album, which should be released early in 1992. Long Tour Ends In Japan Beginning with an unadvertised show at New York City's legendary CBGB's last November 15th and ending last Monday in Osaka, Japan, the band's tour lasted over a year. During that time they performed for over 150, 000 people, playing approximately 160 concerts in 28 states, the District of Columbia and 14 foreign countries. Reports from Japan suggest that the two Johns are on the verge of being a very big success there. "Screaming mobs of teenage girls were chasing them through the streets," said the Giant's manager Jamie Kitman of the Hornblow Group USA Inc. "It was like something out of 'A Hard Day's Night'", Kitman added, referring to the 1964 film starring the Beatles. "Miscellaneous T" Collection While they're waiting for the next album of new material, the band's fnas can look forward to the upcoming release of a collection of singles, b-sides and previously unreleased material, "Miscellaneous T". Scheduled for releasde in the late winter or early sring of 1991, the collection includes all of the songs from the group's first three EP's on Hoboken, New Jersey's tiny but influential Bar None Records label. It will also feature several songs which have never before been released in the United States. New Material on Dial-A-Song The start of work on a new album is welcome news for aficionados of They Might Be Giants' free Dial-A-Song service, because once the recording of the album is in progress they'll be abler demo r demo versions of the band's new songs months before the new album is ready to be released. Dial-A-Song, started in 1984 as a way for the band, who had no record deal at the time, to get their music heard. Although the group is now signed to a major record label, Elektra Entertainment, and their albums are widely available in record stores, Dial-A-Song continues to be a popular institution among their many fans. Service Is Free Unlike the "900 numbers" of celebrities such as baseball star Jose Canseco of the Oakland Athletics and the massively popular bubble gum group The New Kids On The Block, there is never any extra charge for calling Dial-A-Song. Dial-A-Song can be reached by dialing (718)-387-6962. Normal toll charges apply to this call, but, as the service's slogan says, "it's free if you call from work." The 'Best New Act' of 1990: TMBG win Q Magazine Award London, England, Dec. 12-The results are in from Q magazine's first annual "Q Awards" and the "twin quasars of rock", They Might Be Giants, have been chosen as the Best New Act of 1990. Q, one of the leading British pop music magazines, instituted the awards this year to honor deserving musicians and records in several categories. The "Best New Act" is chosen by a vote of the magazine's readers. Building on the runaway UK chart success of "Bird house In Your Soul" the first single from their Elektra album "Flood", and a series of sold-out concerts this summer, the Giants have become a favourite among British rock fans. "Flood" has sold close to 100,000 copies in the UK, earning the band a British Silver record. The award will be presented at a ceremony here today. The band, cuurently in Japan, will not be in attendance. The award will be accepted on their behalf by record producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, who produced four of the nineteen songs on "Flood" including "Birdhouse In Your Soul". The other fifteen tracks were produced by They Might Be Giants themselves. Although the band was formed in 1983 and first played in Britain in 1987, they are still considered a new act there because it was only in 1990 that most Britons first became aware of the band. THE MIGHT BE TIMES is published occasionally by TMBG Information P.O. Box 110553 Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn, NY 11211 Bo Orloff, Editor ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 14:02:44 -0500 From: Matt Zettlemoyer Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply Are you sure the JOhns do not use drugs , or did? Because to me some of their music seems to have been infinfluenced by drugs (or alcohol). And personally, I find that some of the greatest bands ever were influenced by drugs.. And also, this insulkt flinging is insane and uneeded. opninions are oninions, people can say what they want. (please excuse the typods, my email is messed up.) who knew? ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 14:52:15 -0400 (EDT) Subject: RE: JH,Apollo 18,Caps, etc. LISTEN HEAR LITTLE MAN, I HAVE APPROXAMTLY 20 MINUTES A WEEK TO ACTUALLY READ MAIL AND REPLY. I TYPE FAST AND DON'T CARE ABOUT SPELLING THAT GREATLY. AS FOR CAPS, I FIND THAT USING THE SHIFT KEY ACTUALLY TAKES UP A BIT MORE TIME THEN I LIKE TO USE. EVEN IF I ONLY LOOSE A MINUTE OUT OF 20, WHICH WOULD GO MUCH BETTER TOWARDS CLEANING OUT MY MAIL (I CAN GET THROUGH 5 MESSAGES A MINUTE), IT'S STILL A MINUTE THAT I'M LOOSING TO PLEASE OTHER PEOPLE WHO CAN'T TYPE. FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, I DON'T GO ABOUT TRASHING OTHER PEOPLES TYPING UNTIL THEY TRASH MINE. I USE CAPS 1) AS A CONVEINIENCE 2) AS A TRADEMARK SIGN AND 3) TO MAKE A SUBTLE POINT. I'M SORRY IF THIS ANNOYS ANYBODY, BUT UNTIL I CARE (OR GET A BETTER MODEM THAT DOESN'T BREAK DOWN EVERY OTHER MOMENT), I WILL TYPE IN CAPS EXCEPT THROUGH PERSONAL E-MAIL. JUST CONSIDER ME THE TOWN CRIER WHO HAS TO SHOUT TO BE HEARD, K? BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 14:56:45 -0400 (EDT) Subject: RE: FLESH FEST COOL POSTER! MAKES ME WANT TO GET TO OKLAHOMA, WELL, NOW!! ;) BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 14:59:35 -0400 (EDT) Subject: RE: slogon fest err, something HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT MATT IS A SCUZ SUCKING BELGIUM WHO WOULD PROBUALLY CRAWL OVER HIS OWN MOTHER FOR THE SHEER PLEASURE OF THE EXERCISE? BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: alcohol, maybe? Date: Tue, 5 Mar 96 15:15:50 EST i believe i remember a quote or an interview or something that had said that they didn't do drugs(however, i personally wouldn'tbe in the least bit surprised if they had dabbled a little, but who cares anyway). this does not preclude the drinking of alcohol. in fact, they sell shot glasses (very cool shot glasses) through the newsletter with they might be giants written across them. and i'm fairly confident that they smoke(tobacco) because one of my friends, when we went to see them at depauw u., caught a peek of them smoking with some security and other such folks. so, i am of the opinion, based on absolutely nothing other than the aforementioned (and the fact that god told me so in a dream i had last night), that j&j probably are not frequent drug users, although they do some smokin' and drinkin'. the end. farside ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 15:27:49 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: HELP! (Mercury Lounge shows!!) Hi people! This is cortne, I need your help! Today I finally found a ride to Nwe York on the 28th of March, so I can go to the last Merecury Lounge show!!!! Yea!!! But can somebody out there *PLEASE* pick me up tickets??? I know that "Booksie" offered to do it for me, but I lost her address! So, please, if anyone out there can heelp me either get tickets or "Brooksie's" addreess, email me at: ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu Thanks bunches and bunches! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 14:49:41 -0600 (CST) From: Lyndon J Larson Subject: Re: Stoners.... >.. here's an idea..... how many "Non-substance" people are there here I am yet another minimal- or non-consumer of many of the aforementioned substances (including illicit drugs) particularly of caffeine since it gives me a headache in volumes greater than 12 ounces of mountain dew or dr. P per half a day (which is a far less quantity than for alcohol or tobacco to give me a headache). by the way I am seemingly on of the few not to have done *it* to TMBG so if any of you ladies out there would be willing to enlighten pitiful ol' me. . . . . . . (no not you Rosy Palm or any of your five sisters either) Brother John Larson ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 16:08:36 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Another newsletter Here is the second instalment in my series of posts excerpting older newsletters. This one's from 1991. TMBG Information Bulletin #1 Winter 1991 GREETINGS! In your hands you hold the debut issue of our new newsletter, the TMBG Information Bulletin! If you'd like to continue receiving it (along with other useful and interesting info about "Brooklyn's Ambassadors Of Love") send 4 self-addressed stamped legal size envelopes to :TMBG Information, P.O. Box 110533, Williamsburgh Stattion, Brooklyn, NY 11211. If you're writing from outside the US send 4 self-addressed stamped envelopes and 4 international response coupons (available at your local post office). By the way, John & John have asked us to thank everyone who sent them cards and letters. WE RECEIVE A LOT OF LETTERS ASKING "Who's the old guy in the videos with the funny looking head?" Exhaustive research reveals that he's Wiliam Allen White, known in his day as "America's most famous small-town newspaperman." Editor and publisher of the Emporia (Kansas) Gazette from the 1890's until the 1940;s, White's editorials were widely reprinted. He was best known for an 1896 editorial attacking perennial Democratic Presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan and a tribute he wrote for his daughter Mary, who was killed in a horseback riding accident at age 17. (some of you may remember a made-for-TV movie about her life which aired about 10 or 15 years ago.) Although he was a life-long Republican, White was nevertheless a strong supporter of Woodrow Wilson's League of Nations and Franklin Delano Roosevelt's social and economic reforms. White died in Emporia on January 29, 1944. WE ALSO GET A LOT OF LETTERS ASKING why the "Istanbul (Not Constantinople) EP isn't available on cassettes or vinyl. The decision to release "Istanbul" only on CD was made by our record company. You can write and ask them to explain it (and other mysteries of the record business ) to you. Their address is: Elektra Entertainment, 75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10019. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:50:10 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: RE: slogon fest err, something On Tue, 5 Mar 1996 BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov wrote: > HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT MATT IS A SCUZ SUCKING BELGIUM WHO WOULD > PROBUALLY CRAWL OVER HIS OWN MOTHER FOR THE SHEER PLEASURE OF THE EXERCISE? > BROTHER JOHN BLACKHAWK > I'm sorry. I don't care how you type, how you spell, what you think. Is this really necessary? Do I need to be reading your twerpy little comments about other people? Might I remind you that this is a They Might Be Giants mailing list? Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love. Be nice. That is all. -jenny ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 16:02:18 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Organization: Association for associated associates Subject: Re: Stoners..... Jeanette, the lost Warner sib wrote: > Hmmmmmmm ........... here's an idea..... how many "Non-substance" people > are there here, besides me? I don't drink, take drugs, or even smoke. > (HOwever, I am among the strangest people I know. (: ) My only "drugs" > are caffeine, sugar, and sexual excess (oops.... didn't mean to let that > one slip.... I was only kidding about that vice.. (: ) I'd just like to > know..... am I the ONLY one? no WAY! I would say, that NORMALLY describes the dedicated TMBG fan. See, TMBG is pure, unpredictable music. (this is MY theorey) and it seems these days, drug-free or this "purism" (not to be confused with purim) :) , is the alternative lifestyle (I know, we ALL love that a-word). Sure, we were over-nurtured as kids, dropped on the head a few times, never fit in much, and now we like TMBG. However, sugar and caffeene don't really "alter thinking patterns" so, they're normal, and sometimes essential to a TMBGers life-- whether it be John Henry Blend or Mountain Dew. Thats we us Giantheads stay together! (Battle hymn of the republic hummed in background) as for sex... who else has done it during 3 stooges? DA BOYS!!!! sorry to taint the list again! Mitch ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:27:38 -0500 Subject: Sorry, maybe I did something wrong Hi happy folks I'm sorry for "bitching & moaning" so much. I think it has to do with when I reply to stuff. Do I have to change the address I'm sending to to tmbg-list@tmbg.org? If so, that is it. Also, what is the CC space at the top for? JaN+sChMAn, who is finally learning to use the list ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:30:29 -0500 Subject: We Hate TMBG on the cover of JH Hello I'm sure it says on a banner " We hate They Might Be Giants" right inside the cover of JH. 'nette- I only have a little sister and she likes TMBG ( especially Particle Man, Istanbul, & the Pencil Rain ) I don't know if it was a printing defect or what. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:33:23 -0500 Subject: thanks and sorry again Whassup? I would like to thank all the people who stood up for me, and apologize to the people who think I don't belong here. I was just wondering, how many of each are there? Just send me your vote: leave or stay Majority rules ( TMBG does too ) JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:36:21 -0500 Subject: OK, this is the last one Hello again Sorry for sending so much stuff, but I have to tell you this: I just got one of my friends hooked on TMBG. We were listening to Apollo 18 @ my house and he bought it. Now I have someone to sing Turn Around and Hall of Heads with1 You can e-mail my friend @ YOUNGMAN94@aol.com. His name is Andy. JaN+sChMAn, who promises not to write to the list again today ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:06:56 -0700 (GMT-0700) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Pondering existance in a hick town w/o TMBG This is the second time I have asked this question, and I am sorry about it. I have been having major problems with my VMS account though and recently got a unix account. I am hoping this time I may not lose the answer if there is one in the endless depths of my account. So once again I wonder if someone can tell me if there will be a TMBG concert anytime soon anywhere in NM or somewhere near here...*pray*...I would also appreciate any list of concerts that can be supplied. Thank you, Joyce Frost "I know you decieved me; couldn't sleep last night..." -TMBG "Existance is futile" -JF ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:19:55 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG on MTV (kinda sorta maybe) In a message dated 96-03-05 00:45:16 EST, you write: >I was watching MTV today, and a show came on called freaks, nerds and >weridos(I think thats the title) the song played over the intro I >belevie was The Guitar. did anyone else see this program, BTW the >program was about poeple who are/were calleds freaks, nerds, and >weirdos. I saw that show once, I remember that their was, to my pleasant surprise, a TMBG song at the beginning of it... I don't remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was from Apollo 18, although i don't think it was the guitar... BToW (By The Other Way) Is that the unofficial MR. Pritchard webpage mentioned in your .sig me who pretends to have an ever changing sig by writing something new and annoying at the end of each letter but realizes that everybody knows you cannot do sigs on aol ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:46:54 -0500 (EST) From: Anne Warren King Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Matt Zettlemoyer wrote: > Are you sure the JOhns do not use drugs , or did? > Because to me some of their music seems to have been infinfluenced by > drugs (or alcohol). > > And personally, I find that some of the greatest bands ever were > influenced by drugs.. Well, I think they definitely have some songs that are influenced by alcohol, or that at least mention alcohol: "Alienation's for the Rich", "Road Movie to Berlin", "Lie Still, Little Bottle", for example. As for drugs, I think (but am not sure, because the lyrics are, most annoyingly, not included) that the second verse in "Snowball in Hell" includes the words "side effect of drug trip." Not that this means that J&J are stoners or drunks ar anything, but itsd possible..... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:44:38 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Apollo 18 Here's a review I found of Apollo 18 from Entertainment Weekly, March 27, 1992. Brooklyn's They Might Be Giants are a Type A band: total overachievers. Apollo 18, the band's fourth album, has 18 full-fledged songs on it, as well as countless unexplored byways of tunes-that-might-have-been. The pop duo-John Linnell on accordion, John Flansburgh on guitar-is attracted to comic-book inspired topics, which they subsequently inject into their music with dorky charm. On the indelibly catchy song "Mammal", for example, in the midst of jauntily reciting a list of cute animals, singer Flansburgh suddenly informs listeners who may have forgotten Bio 101 that a mammal is a creature "with red blood cells lacking nuclei." Sometimes the Giants get bogged down in their own cleverness-on "Fingertips", for example, they whip through 22 sound bites without ever settling on a melody. For the most part, however, the band's mad-scientist demeanor and reliance on good old-fashioned tunefulness makes for enjoyable, if terminally lightweight, listening. Rating: B+ review by Gina Arnold. So, do you all agree or disagree? And I thought Linnell sang Mammal. Ah well. At least there's a picture (with the caption BUT ARE THEY JUST LIGHTWEIGHTS? No matter, They Might Be Giants are undeniably fun.) Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 19:48:15 -0500 From: Person Man/John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: TMBG on MTV (kinda sorta maybe) Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 96-03-05 00:45:16 EST, you write: > > >I was watching MTV today, and a show came on called freaks, nerds and > >weridos(I think thats the title) the song played over the intro I > >belevie was The Guitar. did anyone else see this program, BTW the > >program was about poeple who are/were calleds freaks, nerds, and > >weirdos. > > I saw that show once, I remember that their was, to my pleasant surprise, a > TMBG song at the beginning of it... I don't remember what it was, but I'm > pretty sure it was from Apollo 18, although i don't think it was the > guitar... I think now it might have been statue got me high(I don't Have A18, but I will problly get next week on Spring Break when I get out of Hicksville) > BToW (By The Other Way) Is that the unofficial MR. Pritchard webpage > mentioned in your .sig actually it a site for the GREAT dorm that I was forced to live in this year. -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "Who Came up with Person Man?" -TMBG / "Who Are these guys?" TT on TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:51:06 -0500 (EST) From: DAVID KNOX Subject: found mr.dj Just something I've taken upon myself to add to this fine digest: Dr. Demento's weekly syndicated radio broadcast will usually play one or two TMBG tunes in almost every show. I don't really consider TMBG demented, but I'll take what I can get. For anyone who lives in a reasonable radio radius of Cleveland, the show airs sunday nights at midnight on 98.5 WNCX . If you live elswhere, it's a syndicated show so it may come in on a radio station near you. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:37:25 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: More stuff I just looked through all my TMBG stuff and found that I actually have a fall '94 info club mailing, the violet one. I had forgotten that. But I am 100% sure that that is the last one I got, so the problem does remain. But I'm glad I found it. Here's an article from Toronto's eye magazine, Nov. 3, 1994, written by Perry Stern. FOUR OF A PERFECT PAIR They Might Be Giants double their pleasure For nearly a decade now They Might Be Giants have made consistently inconsistent music. Jumping from style to style with the alacrity of a hyper puppy in a roomful of squeaky toys, their albums seemed more like compilations than the homogeneous work of a single musical entity. But no more. With their inexplicably titled fifth album, John Henry, (as though having a band that already has two guys named John in it isn't confusing enough) They Might Be Giants have shifted gears by creating their first real band and forging their most even sound to date. On the phone from his Brooklyn home, John Linnell explains how he and partner John Flansburgh (the one who wears glasses) grew out of their two man band recording rut and made the closest thing to a conventional album yet. Excepting the Ramones, who, Linnell concedes, "made records that all sounded the same and that was totally fine," most of the artists he respected in the 80's made each new album different from the last. "That was de rigeur," he says. "Every record was 'Now I'm going to do my country record,' or God knows what. But John and I started out just doing the same kind of records over and over again. Our first four albums were recorded with just two of us and no concepts to link songs together. We were just taking our song and turning them into records-which is to say that each record had a lot of different styles, but it was always just us. So this is really the first example of us doing something that has a distinct sound and a real direction." Whatever that distinct sound is, it still eludes conventional labels. The most Canadian American band around (we've got wit pop from Barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, Furnaceface, Corky And The Juice Pigs, etc., the Yanks just have these guys and Ween), TMBG have weathered the ill winds of critical impatience with lyrics that require a polysyllabic vocabulary and more than just a passing acquaintance with current affairs and philosophy. With songs about interplanetary exploration (Destination Moon), dead Flemish painters (Meet James Ensor), living large (Extra Savoir-Faire), and who knows what (Unrelated Thing), John Henry is just as lyrically convoluted as the rest of TMBG's output. "I don't have a strong sense that people put too much emphasis on our lyrics," Linnell says. "We're certainly sensitive to the problemn of people caricaturing us as "quirky" or something, but that's more of a problem of their not being far enough into what we're doing to see what's going on. They have this cartoon version of who we are. But we really write for ourselves, primarily, and we try and write the best songs wer can by our standards. We don't hide anything in our songs. There's no secret messages-everything is on the surface." MISTERS SUBLIMINAL Although more than a dozen musicians contributed to the album, onstage TMBG is niw a six-piece with extra emphasis on the brass. Where once Linnell bleated alone on his saxophone, there are now two full-time horn players to round out the guitar-bass drums-keyboard lineup. And that's not all that has changed. For the first time, surprisingly enough, Linnell and Flansburgh have co-written songs. "I'm interested in melody, primarily," Linnell explains, "and then I make up a bunch of words that make sense that fit into that melody. Flansburgh probably does the opposite more. He's more focused on the words." The oddly Beach Boys-esque "Subliminal" is the only co-written song (words by Flansburgh, music by Linnell) to make the album. Linnell says there's a real "love vibe" among the three bands that wll be performing together here. Opening for TMBG is Frank Black, another artist who's had the adjective "quirky" foisted upon him more than once for lyrical content, and the Australian confection frente!. Linnell says the mix of styles dovetails perfectly. But even though harmony reigns in the new band and among TMBG's tour mates, the love affair has a decided sense of impermanence. "I have a feeling", Linnell perversely confides, "that we're perfectly ready to go completely off in some other direction if the fancy strikes us." -end- I went to this amazing show and it was the first time I had seen them perform with the band. Happy I was. Maybe later I'll tell you what happened before the show, outside the Danforth Music Hall, involving the members of frente. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:50:03 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: It's from Tracy, I'm just too lazy to telnet.... Okay, here I am, me, not Bryan Shelton, hi Bryan. Anyway... I bought myself a new Flood tape because my first one was obviously sucked into some interdimensional vortex and I haven't seen it since like November. Flood was my first TMBG tape, and the second I put it into my brand new *at the time* tape player, it was hopelessly mangled and required the assistance of Dad to splice it back together, so the beginning went Why is the world *blahablahdklrhbhidyfehiishd* 1990, they might be giants brand new album flood! Listening atm to Your Racist Friend, I can't help but think that J&J are a loving, accepting kind of duo, and I'd like to think that they would be kind of pissed at the sort of spiteful quarreling that has been going on here...I know I've written about this before, but I just want to agree with Jenny that we're here to show our love of Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love, not the Mailing List's Bunch of Touchy People With Chips on Their Shoulders :) THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN SLINGING MUD ON THIS LIST, ahem. I think we need a top ten list to all calm down and love each other, don't you? Tracy's Top Ten Ways to Cool Down after Pissing at the Mailing List: 10. Take a step back and count to 32 9. Clog dance naked to the Famous Polka 8. Write a derogatory song about the person who pissed you off 7. Hammer on your piglet (take that whatever way you want, you psychos) 6. Make "Memory" cards with illustrations of what you think all the people on the list look like irl 5. Play your old B-52s tapes (I'm not the only one, am I?) 4. Break your Lenten promises and indulge in some gluttony 3. Convert to a paganism and learn some myths 2. Tell off the person in Esperanto, quietly 1. Learn to type (that's for me, the girl who accidentally typed convert to A paganism....they don't teach me nuthin at college) The point of this pathetically uninspired list is that you (and I) should find something better to do with our anger at that schmuck who insulted us than go off on the list. Have a They day. The one whose unconditional love for J&J makes her reluctant to give up her notions of very substance-free Johns, Tracy Marie (find me normally at grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 18:07:12 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: An Electrafying Experinece, Bar None (was: Re: DJing TMBG) At 02:41 AM 3/5/96 -0500, you wrote: >All I ever hear, when they think of it, is Istanbul or Birdhouse In Your >Soul. Then I must tell you my story of today. I was driving my Jeep, with the top off, and talking to my friend about the only time I'd ever heard THEY on the radio. The first time, they played "Brain Stew" by Green Day, and then Birdhouse. The night that I heard that, I'd just finished performing in a competiton, and so the adrenaline was definately flowing by the time I got home. But anyway, I was telling my friend about this, and "Brain Stew" came on. I'm thinking, okay, a cool song to break up the traffic. The most amazing thing happened next. I heard Flansburg's chords to start "Don't Let's Start!" I yelled out "OMYGOD! THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!!" The guy in the car next to me thought I'd lost it, which I had. My blood was pumping so fast, and combined with stop and go traffic clutch work, my legs were total Jello when I got home. I shall never forget how the other people were looking at me. A great day for me...... BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Real Men Drive Jeeps. Pat Buchanan will have it so that all of the white sheets he wears are made in America! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 21:44:58 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply > Well, I think they definitely have some songs that are influenced by > alcohol, or that at least mention alcohol: "Alienation's for the Rich", > "Road Movie to Berlin", "Lie Still, Little Bottle", for example. > As for drugs, I think (but am not sure, because the lyrics are, most > annoyingly, not included) that the second verse in "Snowball in Hell" > includes the words "side effect of drug trip." > Not that this means that J&J are stoners or drunks ar anything, but itsd > possible..... i think that in many cases, the Johns' references to drugs are more of a parody of drugs/users...anyone care to add to this...? (i thought it was "side effect OR drug trip", but i could be wrong..."of" makes more sense, anyway!) thoughts on the J & J making fun of drugs thing...? --Fran AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:53:49 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Digested reply (too big) > 3) Is the old or new TMBG better? Old being with all computer synths and new > being the full band? > That's a tough question. As many people have said, the new TMBG is a little too mainstream sometimes, and it needs more accordian, but I really like real drums better than the cheesy fake ones on the early stuff. And Destination Moon, Noone knows my Plan, etc. are all great with the full horn section. Apollo 18 is still my favorite all-around album, and I think it's a good mix. I *love* Stompbox. The perfect one-song spaz-out. > >Puppet Head, they're standing on this land near the water and bouncing > And it has Linnell making the funniest facial expressions, like pushing his > ear forward and sticking his toungue out. When he does that, does anyone else think he looks a little like Dana Carvey? To everyone yelling for videos, you can get the TMBG, Lincoln, and Misc T ones from the info club. Are there any plans to release an Elektra video compilation? > anyway, to make an incredibly long story short the Dust Brother are two > members of Anthrax... > Whoah! Talk about two *completly* different bands! Who'd of thought it? > >Has anyone ever noticed that since the mother is saying "you son of bitch" > to > >her son, she is calling herself a bitch? > Yes, it's wonderfully creepy how this song reflects the passing down of evil > from generation to generation, which is further reflected in the circular > effect created by the palindromes. As far as lyrics go, it's one of their > most tight and unified pieces; very poetic, really. > I Pal I has got to have some of the greatest lyrics ever...I love them.. I guess someone else sees it like I do: generations passing a skewed reflection of themselves down to the next one... On another list I'm on, I got a message full of music reviews form somewhere a rather caustic review of the XTC tribute, with a not-so-kind mention of Them (this guys doesn't seem to like the new TMBG at all...). If for some reason you want to see the view from the other side of the fence, email me (not the list!). BTW, Alan Bezozi, drummer on Flood, now plays in Dogs Eye View. FYI. Bye. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:54:27 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: Indianapolis concert TMBG in Hoosierland... April 1, 1996 Vogue Theatre 6259 N. College ave box office # (317) 259-7029 tix--$15.00 admission: 21 & over And...the Champaign TMBG show at the majestic Virginia theatre is indeed a definite for April 2. Tickets will be on sale at the end of this week. Virginia is NOT Ticketmaster-affiliated. Everybody GO TO THIS SHOW. Party at my plaace...and I can try to convince the Virginia brass to give discounts to naked people, so we can make this a pre-Fleshfest. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:51:56 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Another Cover Letter Ben or Been here. Ben's Dial-A-Song Where the songs are quirky and I'm not jerky (614) 823-BLUE featuring BAD II's "Rush" (the really cool album version) But on to my subject: What TMBG* songs does Ben or Been see need to be covered by what respective bands? *--or TMBG-related. Song 1st--Music Artist 2nd. Explanation. The End of the Tour--The La's. This Beatle wannabe band did the song "There She Goes" which made it onto some soundtrack a few years after it first was released. You may remember the video on Empty-V, played in rotation with "Losing My Religion" and the Bingoboys "How to Dance." Ana Ng--Tiny Tim. Getting a ukelele onto this song would drastically improve its already awesome quality. And getting Tiny Tim to sing it would drastically improve his psyche. Unsupervised, I Hit My Head--Frank Black. This guy sings whinylike ("Sir Rockabye," "Headache," etc.) and would complain more than Flansburgh does in this Mono Puff song. The World's Address (Remix)--Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers. To my knowledge, this British group has put out one excellent album that mixes a ton of golden oldies into smooth tracks. I wonder what olden day samples Jive Bunny could pull out of his hat. Nevada--Soundgarden. As they proved with "Black Hole Sun," they can make a really long state song go straight up the charts. Town to Town--The Sesame Street Gang. This is a Flanny-sung, Hello the Band song, with Muppet-sounding voices on it. I would prefer additions of the Honkers in the bridge, with some really annoying-voice Muppet puling along. They'll Need a Crane--Leonard Nimoy. Have you heard this guy sing "Highly Illogical"? He's fantastic! I'm surprised his records never made it to the top of the charts! He really has A WHOLE LOT to say about love and relationships. (note the sarcasm) Fingertips--Robin Williams. He has the creative capacity. Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal--Milli Vanilli. They definitely could insert the added angst that somehow Linnell just doesn't convey. Blame it on the DJ. Mr. Klaw--Mr. Ed. I know he's dead, but just get another horse. Like Lassie. Track 13 on _Misc. T_--The Jerky Boys. Imagine an accent much like the one on _The Simpsons_. Imagine some curses. Imagine your laughter. Theme from Flood--The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. I'm serious. It's the only good way they can pay back John and John for increasing their soundtrack's album sales. Warum MuB Ich Traurig Sein?--Iron Butterfly. If Iron Butterfly does the German version of this Alice-Cooper-lovin' song, it may have the same expressive impact as "Inna Godda Danny Devito." ********* What songs should TMBG, etc., cover? Song Sung Blue--Neil Diamond. They started singing it in a Newport concert in Columbus, OH, during their Sunshine tour. Laika--Moxy Fruvous. Has a TMBG feel. A spacedog. She Blinded Me with Science--Thomas Dolby. Now, I've only heard this song a few times, but I want it, and if I want a song, it must be quirky, and I like TMBG because that band is quirky; therefore, if it's quirky, TMBG should cover it. Liar--Rollins Band. Let Linnell take over. You Oughta Know--You Oughta Know Who. Picture it: Flanny turns it into a jealousy song about Linnell. Remember the "recent" TMBG newsletter? It said Flanny liked Linnell's songs. "I want you to know/ That I'm happy for you./ I wish nothing but the best for your solo project." Hope I made you giggle and think, Ben or Been A General-Semanticist PS--My web-page is at http://www.tripod.com/~benhauck/index.html Beware! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 23:21:09 -0500 From: Matt Zettlemoyer Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply maybe not stoners, but im sure they experimented with drugs of some sort, but who knows? one song that made me think this in the first place is nightgown of the sullen moon. your head is on the mooon, forever is a long time. That line made me think of this, cause I listened to it once when i was stoned and it actually was making sense. very odd. and someone said something about those shotglasses Threy actually have two sets out, and i got the first set, pretty cool ones too. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:29:10 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Indianapolis concert On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Raoul the conqueror wrote: > > TMBG in Hoosierland... > April 1, 1996 > Vogue Theatre > 6259 N. College ave > box office # (317) 259-7029 > tix--$15.00 > admission: 21 & over > > And...the Champaign TMBG show at the majestic Virginia theatre is indeed a > definite for April 2. Tickets will be on sale at the end of this > week. Virginia is NOT Ticketmaster-affiliated. Everybody GO TO THIS > SHOW. Party at my plaace...and I can try to convince the Virginia brass > to give discounts to naked people, so we can make this a pre-Fleshfest. > Anyone notice how TMBG is sort of hopping all over the country? I think the day before their mercury lounge show in NY, they're playing in Missouri or something, then a couple days after on to Illinois? This leads me to wonder if they've cancelled their mercury lounge shows.....anyone know anything for real? erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 23:27:38 -0500 From: Matt Zettlemoyer Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply I was thinking about the parady of drugs/users idea and I think you might have an idea there. but like I said, maybe they experimented and realized what they were doing or so? So in there own subtle way they are saying drugs are not what they are cracked up to be? how interesting ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Another Cover Letter Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:38:46 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Benjamin or Beenjamin Hauck: >What songs should TMBG, etc., cover? > >Song Sung Blue--Neil Diamond. They started singing it in a Newport >concert in Columbus, OH, during their Sunshine tour. They played "Sweet Caroline" in its entirety at the Peoria, Ill. concert in April 1993. Flans' voice is MADE for singing Diamond tunes. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 00:02:07 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply >maybe not stoners, but im sure they experimented with drugs of some >sort, but who knows? >one song that made me think this in the first place is nightgown of the >sullen moon. >your head is on the mooon, forever is a long time. >That line made me think of this, cause I listened to it once when i was >stoned and it actually was making sense. very odd. automatic response to that is the next few lines... 'drug trip, it's NOT a drug trip, so you feel a bit insulted...' just had to say it. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter who only does caffiene... _______________________________________________________________________ Hi there! This is just a note from me, to you, to tell you, the person reading this note, that I can't think up any more famous quotes, jokes, nor bizarre stories, so you may as well go home. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 00:44:58 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Meeting Flans I remember back in April '92 when I met Flans in the front of the club in Toronto where they had just played and he was signing autographs and while he was signing mine I asked him what it really means for him to be the musical ambassador for International Space Year and he said something in reply and people around me laughed but I couldn't hear what he said and to this day I still do not know. It was so cool to have Flans put a shirt on my back and sign it. He was nice to do this even after signing the glossy photo that they were giving! away. The one on the shirt is pretty much washed off by now but the photo is put away in a safe place. Mike@I.am.not.the.only.dust.my.mother.raised.ca ------------------------------ From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 00:47:41 E Subject: stoner parody It is "side effect or drug trip" and I tend to think it is more of the parody thing like Fran said... "drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted..." This gives me the feeling that I get when I act crazy and fun and people ask me what I'm on... like you don't have to be high to act nuts. That's why I always loved that song...felt a little bonding moment there...I almost wrote bondage...and I was the one objecting to perverted comments. For shame! anyway have a good night, thanks for the support Jenny, Dave only wishes I wrote for him. (no throwing things, see?) Avalanche or Tracy.... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-66 *****************************