Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-67 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 67 Thursday, 7 March 1996 Today's Topics: Sorry... terrible nightmare My dinner with frente Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-66 crap sucks Stoner music Tour Dates Re: Stoners..... -Reply Champaign show I dig the whole drugs, sex, music, straightedge debate. . . They Might Have a NEW Homepage Lie STill Little Bottle Stoners? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-66 Re: Sorry, maybe I did something wrong Mercury Lounge: still on?? Allrightythen did someone say beatniks???? Michigan OFFICIAL: TMBG at U of I...and re:Indianapolis Concert Re: Allrightythen TMBG radio update/curious back Re: Stoner music Apollo 18 trains My dinner with frente Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 07:00:49 -0500 (EST) From: noise Subject: Sorry... Due to the fact that I get about 30 messages every three seconds and none of them are really things I want to read and most of them are from here, I'm leaving. If anyone really finds me that interesting, noise@nando.net me. ===>NyQuil Driver, AKA Noixe, AKA Andy However, look for the TMBG voting booth soon! http://pc202a322.med.unc.edu/wsdocs/tmbgwo.htm ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 06:02:07 -0800 From: anakin@smartlink.net (Nick Hatton) Subject: terrible nightmare last night I was laying next to my bed(in my dream)when I leaned over and felt something snap. I looked and it was my back to skull cd! I felt so terrible. Has this happened to anyone else? "Tell me Pinky, do you practice being dumb or does it come naturally?" "Oh, practice Brain, practice, practice...." Pinky+The Brain "If it wasn't for disapointment, I wouldn't have any appointment's..." TMBG Me who finds myself using my .sig in letters to friends at school, because me is very wired on adreniline and TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:48:50 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: My dinner with frente Well actually I didn't have dinner with them, but something else did happen. I had come from the set of my sister's music video (Wind May Do Damage, her previous band, part of the video of which I am referring to can be downloaded from the Dirt Music Canada web site), where I had been discussing TMBG with Murray from Moxy Fruvous, who had once opened for TMBG!!! Anyway, I showed up at the Danforth Music Hall and proceeded to wait quite a while, but it was general seating and I wanted to grab good seats near the front. The cool thing was that there was a little cafeteria in this building which had a window facing the street so when Flansburgh walked in there to get a sandwich or something we could all see him. Anyway it got dark and it started to rain and then suddenly some people came out of the front doors of the music hall and started to push their way through the crowd. I paid no attention to them until my friend said Hey, it's the members of frente. Then I turned to look and noted how nobody in the large crowd seemed to recognise them. I looked back at my friend and said Yeah, and nobody cares! That's when the guitar player from frente stuck his head in my face and said Well, nobody cares about you either! Then they got into a huge van parked on the street and spent a good few minutes trying to get this van out of there and into traffic. The problem was that there was a truck parked in front of them and a sports car parked behind and the van was sandwiched in there with about a half an inch of space to spare. All I will say is that sports car took a beating, and frente took off. For all of frente's opening set I sat in the fourth row fearing that the guy would point at me and say something mean. After all, I was only kidding. But that didn't happen. By the way, this was the first time I ever heard TMBG play Why Does The Sun Shine in the thrash-metal vein and when they were done I gave them a standing ovation, to hell with appearances. Don't worry, by the midpoint of the show everyone was standing. Canadian audiences are just a bit more reserved, unlike the moshing American pigs at the Feb. 3 RIT show. But that's already been done. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:48:45 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-66 > From: Jantschman@aol.com > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:30:29 -0500 > Subject: We Hate TMBG on the cover of JH > > Hello > > I'm sure it says on a banner " We hate They Might Be Giants" right inside the > cover of JH. Yes. The banner DOES say WE HATE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. I don't think it's to be analyzed...It's art. HOWEVER, I have altered that picture to say WE LOVE... And put it the 'Music' page attached to my WWWeb home page. You can't even tell it was altered. Check it out! http://www.cs.utk.edu/~herrick Feel free to take make a copy of the WE LOVE... picture...and plaster it all over the internet. Spread the message... WE LOVE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS You have to search a bit to find the picture... but it IS there. The image is 'clickable' and links directly to The Unofficial TMBG Web page. And please...enjoy the rest of my page while you're there. (You might even find a picture of me...which is slightly less appetizing...but interesting none the less) Carson Herrick 'just a guy made of dots and lines' ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: crap sucks Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 07:39:00 P I am tired of getting all of this crap over e-mail. I joined this list to talk about TMBG. If you guys want to talk about doin' the nasty to the rhythm, I couldn't give a damn, but it is really disapointing when I hear all of these people yelling at each other. It really ruins the groovy atmosphere in here! -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB + + AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ + "You're free to come and go,+ or talk like curtis blow", TMBG+ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "truth only exsists in the + hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "Is it just me, or is it hot in + here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM- + SIMON & GARFUNKAL-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ + BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Stoner music Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 11:57:00 P Personaly, I would never touch any drugs, and I haven't. But If you guys are dumb enough to, that's your problem. But any ways. If you were looking for some good stoner music, I have the soundtrack to this Japanese Cartoon that was made to be watched while on heroine. It's about the only way to understand it I guess. But the sound track is cool. And I guess it would be pretty trippy while on drugs. I would be willing to make copies of it, for some money that is. Or, you could just buy the CD, your self. You would have to special order it at a big music shop. Ie: Sam goody, Disc Jockey, Music land. It costs about $17 to buy. but you might enjoy it. One other thing. All you stoners are still pretty darn stupid to be messing up your minds. You know that after you take Acid 4 times, you are legally insane....just a thought... -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB + + AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ + "You're free to come and go,+ or talk like curtis blow", TMBG+ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "truth only exsists in the + hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "Is it just me, or is it hot in + here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM- + SIMON & GARFUNKAL-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ + BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:18:44 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason L. Ivey" Subject: Tour Dates Can anyone send me a list of tour dates for the current tour? It would be much appriciated! :) -Jason +--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ | J A S O N L. I V E Y | "Every jumbled pile of person has a | |--------------------------------------| thinking part that wonders what the | | http://cse.utoledo.edu/~jivey | part that isn't thinking isn't | | jivey@cse.utoledo.edu ><> | thinking of." -They Might Be Giants | +--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: Re: Stoners..... -Reply Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 12:28:07 EST > > > Well, I think they definitely have some songs that are influenced by > > alcohol, or that at least mention alcohol: "Alienation's for the Rich", > > "Road Movie to Berlin", "Lie Still, Little Bottle", for example. > > As for drugs, I think (but am not sure, because the lyrics are, most > > annoyingly, not included) that the second verse in "Snowball in Hell" > > includes the words "side effect of drug trip." > > Not that this means that J&J are stoners or drunks ar anything, but itsd > > possible..... > > i think that in many cases, the Johns' references to drugs are more of a > parody of drugs/users...anyone care to add to this...? > > (i thought it was "side effect OR drug trip", but i could be wrong..."of" > makes more sense, anyway!) > > thoughts on the J & J making fun of drugs thing...? > > --Fran AKA the Vonnegut Vassal > i don't see it as making fun... it seems to me to be that many of their songs are written from the perspective of other people(why must i be sad, nokmp maybe, and others). could it be that these are written from the perspective of another person, not as a value judgment, but as a sort of diving into their personality? also does anyone else think that lincoln has a sort of depressed motif to it(mr. me, lie still, they'll need a crane, piece of dirt, etc)? perhaps this was a very depressing time for them, and perhaps, as lie still and other songs allude to, they either turned to or felt like turning to drugs or alcohol as an escape. cabbagetown is another example of a song where alcohol is mentioned. with all these references to alcohol, i find it hard to believe that they are "making fun" of alcohol use. if fact, even if they are not condoning it, they are probably taking it seriously, as alcohol abuse is a serious problem, rather than "making fun" of it. on a completely different note, did you know that it is impossible to type 'teh' on wp6.0? it automatically changes it to 'the'. farside ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:43:20 -0600 (CST) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Champaign show Tix for the April 2 CU show go on sale tomorrow at 11:00 am... The Virginia Theatre box office number is: (217)-359-1483 They take Visa and Mastercard (but NOT American Express)... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:22:27 -0500 (EST) From: Joseph A Oettinger Subject: I dig the whole drugs, sex, music, straightedge debate. . . . . .it's eclectic to say the least. I did an aweful lot of laughing and enjoying on the tuesday digest. You people are the best. One thing, any single TMBG song is too short for sex. What are you supposed to do, hit repeat on the CD player? C'mon now. I think the whole album side suggestions are a little more reliable. But, even the albums are too short. I mean, I'm in for the long haul. No dinky 15 min s**t. How's about some Kama Sutra-style all-day lovin. Believe me, I never talk about sex, see what you all have done to me? You have taken an innocent stoner and turned him into the slave of your desires!! A new leaf overturned!! Cheers, joe ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Mar 96 14:58:26 -0800 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: They Might Have a NEW Homepage I just wanted to announce to everyone that I've finished the starting touches of a my TMBG Homepage... The main idea of this page is TMBG interviews, articles and hard to find sound clips... I'll apolligize right now to those of you who thought this was about the official unofficial page at http://tmbg.com... anyway the URL for my TMBG page is http://members.aol.com/hallofheds/ .... I'll appreciate any questions/comments/contributions about/to the page... just let me know if you have some obscure article or ancient Info club newsletter lying around and I'll gladly make a page out of it... um... thank you in advance... me who has so little time and wonders where me finds the it ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Lie STill Little Bottle Date: Wed, 06 Mar 96 12:06:00 P At my school, we have a thing called the coffee house, where you can perform music, read poetry...etc. Anyways, it's a really beatnicky atmosphere, so I decided to perform Lie Still Little Bottle. It was rad. it turned out really good, and every one loved. I am jsut pumped about this so I thought I'd tell ya'all. -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB + + AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ + "You're free to come and goor talk like curtis blow", TMBG+ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "truth only exsists in the hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-... + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Stoners? Date: Wed, 06 Mar 96 12:09:00 P I personnalyy don't think that TMBG does drugs. On a regular basis that is. They may have xperimented some time in their lives, but I think their music is the way it is because they like being funny. They seem like a bunch of fun guys, that are wierd becuase it's fun, not because they're on a trip!!! -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB + + AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ + "You're free to come and goor talk like curtis blow", TMBG+ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "truth only exsists in the hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-... + -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 15:21:10 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-66 Since I'm not allowed to download anything at this precise moment in time, could someone forward me the thing about meeting Flans? Thanks! Erika(who is NOT an amoeba) ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 15:46:37 -0500 Subject: Re: Sorry, maybe I did something wrong In a message you write: > The CC space on the top is for Carbon Copy. This will send the same >message to the address you type in that space. > So now you and the list both get this JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 15:03:52 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Mercury Lounge: still on?? Somebody said something in the last digest about the possibility that They might have cancelled the Mercury Lounge shows...if anybody does know anything about this, let me know too. I reeeeeaaally hope they didn't, 'cause this is gonna be my first show ever, after five years of TMBG worship. I even had a dream last night about finally getting to see Them live! I really hope they don't cancel... --Tara Oh, and by the way, Tracy: you're not the only B-52s fan. :) I can listen to Rock Lobster over & over again and never get sick of it (I should probably find that disturbing, but oh well). It sounds kinda like the soundtrack of a '50s sci-fi B-movie, don't you think? I described it that way once to a friend, and she didn't understand that I meant that as a compliment. :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:15:44 -0500 Subject: Allrightythen Hi People I'm staying. I know how to use mail now too. Qwestons: 1) Can I get a demo of Which Describes How You're Feeling to get the backwards part from any of you? I'll pay $$$$$ 2) Is it possible for TMBG to go somewhere other than Elektra & make Freaksicle there? 3) What happened to the guy from MD with videos? Shane?? JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:40:07 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: did someone say beatniks???? sohie-copy-shop-clerk and i are volunteers for the local campus life club, and we had a little coffee house type thing a few weeks ago, and we got all the people to snap and i sang "lie still, little bottle". just one more way we are trying to take over the world in the name of tmbg... remaining, aims `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` "I love the world, and if I have to sue for custody, I will sue for custody." aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ------------------------------ From: Naidee@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:43:36 -0500 Subject: Michigan Are there any up coming dates in Michgan that anyone knows about? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 16:19:29 -0600 From: Ken Nordine Subject: OFFICIAL: TMBG at U of I...and ATTENTION! THEY will be at Champaign's Virgina Theater on April 2. Tickets go on sale Thursday, March 7 at 2 PM at Periscope CDs and tapes, Streetside records, and by phone at (217) 359-1483. Tix are $14. Raoul...warm up the stereo and cool down the beverages you like...I'll be there for the Pre-Giants party. -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages, Hello Recording Club, and Mono Puff CD!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:35:29 -0500 (EST) From: David Knox Subject: re:Indianapolis Concert on tue., march 5, Raoul the conqueror wrote: >TMBG in Hoosierland... >April 1,1996 >Vogue Theatre -- >tix--$15.00 >Admission: 21 & over *------------------------------------- Is that REALLY supposed to be 21 & over? Say it ain't so. I always thought that when I got my fake ID, I'd be using it for something other than concerts. Does anybody out there have an I.D. machine? (just kidding, that would be breaking the law, which would be bad.) Am I the only one who thinks that the 20&under folks are getting hosed? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:10:06 -0500 Subject: Re: Allrightythen >1) Can I get a demo of Which Describes How You're Feeling to get the >backwards part from any of you? I'll pay $$$$$ I may as well tell everyone right now that I discovered on-line, a recording of the backwards message from the afformentioned demo version and it is available at my newly made _TMBG WEB SITE_ at this URL: http://members.aol.com/hallofheds/ as much as I like shameless self promotion I may point out that the reason I'm telling you this is because it's probably the only place it's available, since I found it at the Wub-Fur site before they shut it down ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:32:57 -0500 (EST) From: Craig Whyte Subject: TMBG radio update/curious Hi again. This week's song was "Stompbox" (for Nette). Next week I'm not sure what I'm going to play, but it might be "Fingertips". Also has anyone heard of The Schramms or Little John? The two bands were recommended to me because they sound like TMBG. I'd like to find out more about them. Later, Craig P.S. as of 11am(EST) the station had no Mercury Lounge tickets to give away. I hope this changes next week. I had a flood of calls when I gave a pair away to their show at the Trocadero (Philly) on 12/30/95. ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: back Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 20:23:00 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I'm back from the wilds of the District of Columbia and Philadelphia and ready to read my 140+ messages in the ole in-box 8-( to the guy who has not received anything from They Might Be Productions, I just got my O'Tannenbaum shirt last week from them that I ordered in December. Maybe this'll give you some indication. The newsletter I ordered did not come either. Not much else has been happening here in the TMBG front. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:35:21 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Stoner music On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > One other thing. All you stoners are still pretty darn stupid to be > messing up your minds. You know that after you take Acid 4 times, you are > legally insane....just a thought... Umm, I wouldnt call myself a stoner, nor would i consider myself stupid; but I have done drugs before. Honestly, I'm a bigger fan of your self-righteousness and blatant naivete. Where did you hear about becoming legally insane from acid? I would like to know exactly where I can read that study for myself. Respond please. > "You're free to come and go,+ > or talk like curtis blow", TMBG+ > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Look honkey, get your shit together. Any self-respecting Old School rap fan knows that the correct spelling is: "Kurtis Blow". john ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Apollo 18 Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 03:38:22 -0500 (EST) > > Here's a review I found of Apollo 18 from Entertainment Weekly, > March 27, 1992. > > Brooklyn's They Might Be Giants are a Type A band: total > overachievers. Apollo 18, the band's fourth album, has 18 full-fledged I wonder if overachievers is good or bad? > songs on it, as well as countless unexplored byways of > tunes-that-might-have-been. The pop duo-John Linnell on accordion, John > Flansburgh on guitar-is attracted to comic-book inspired topics, which > they subsequently inject into their music with dorky charm. On the > indelibly catchy song "Mammal", for example, in the midst of jauntily > reciting a list of cute animals, singer Flansburgh suddenly informs > listeners who may have forgotten Bio 101 that a mammal is a creature > "with red blood cells lacking nuclei." Sometimes the Giants get bogged > down in their own cleverness-on "Fingertips", for example, they whip > through 22 sound bites without ever settling on a melody. For the most You can't have much of a melody when songs are 5 seconds long, they don't really want a melody, they just ant a quick, catchy K-Tel insert inbetween shuffled songs lady~! Ahh well the misunderstood public. > part, however, the band's mad-scientist demeanor and reliance on good > old-fashioned tunefulness makes for enjoyable, if terminally lightweight, > listening. Rating: B+ review by Gina Arnold. Not a bad rating but I'd give it an A+ 8-) Tis my favorite. I guess they meant lightweight to be either fun,happy, non-serious, or music that isn't really important to anyone really except for a light interjection on rare occassions. Let's hope for a definition closer to the former. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: trains Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 03:40:40 -0500 (EST) Anybody think the lines And this train keeps rolling off the track Trying to act like something else Trying to go where it's been uninvited From It's Not My Birthday deal with our beloved Mrs. Train? ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: My dinner with frente Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 04:04:20 -0500 (EST) > Well actually I didn't have dinner with them, but something else > did happen. > I had come from the set of my sister's music video (Wind May Do > Damage, her previous band, part of the video of which I am referring to > can be downloaded from the Dirt Music Canada web site), where I had been > discussing TMBG with Murray from Moxy Fruvous, who had once opened for > TMBG!!! Anyway, I showed up at the Danforth Music Hall and proceeded to > wait quite a while, but it was general seating and I wanted to grab good > seats near the front. The cool thing was that there was a little > cafeteria in this building which had a window facing the street so when > Flansburgh walked in there to get a sandwich or something we could all > see him. The closest I came to eating with a band member of a big group was when I was in the cafeteria at my school and one of the guys from Weezer was eating by himself a few tables away. I didn't recognize him, though, and I think my friend said later, "I think that was the guy from Weezer sitting a few tables from us". That was kinda wacky. But on the Moxy Fruvous front, I got the Fruvous Quill (their newsletter) and they are coming out with a B-sides album (and I think they plan to have more in the future as well) and they also putting out a new album with the working title "Rumours" The b-sides will have not only old but brand new songs on it, so says the letter. The newsletter is really funny too so if anyone wants to get it you can mail to Fruvous Quill P.O. Box 90005 1436 Queen St. W. Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6K 1M2 Or you could try to mail to moxy@tvo.org (I think that's it) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-67 *****************************