Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-69 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 69 Saturday, 9 March 1996 Today's Topics: March 7th Mercury Lounge show! Re: glass of milk... coffee house The Presidents of the United States of America Modes of transportation Re: space songs.... Re: WE HATE ANTS Obo's TMBG page. Trains & Glass of Milk Re: Krauss Krauss Misunderstood Lyric My "End if the Tour" parody (fwd) Heads, and thinking Etown reunion! I am never Bryan Songs about space: Re: Modes of transportation Re: Modes of transportation E-town number! Re: Theme from Flood??? Re: March 7th Mercury Lounge show! What Do You Want on Your Web Page? some stuff... Re: What Do You Want on Your Web Page? your sex/age I'm offline Re: Modes of transportation -Reply Some more ramblings from Okla. Re: some stuff... Re: trains Tiny T**tted Tootsies? Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 03:39:24 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: March 7th Mercury Lounge show! Hi people! So, how many people were lucky enough to go to the Mercury Lounge show on Thursday, March 7th??? I wish *I* was one of the chosen few!!!!!! But I'm going on the 28th, so I can't complain! So, those of you out there who *DID* get to go to the show, how was it? We want reviews!!!!!!! (please!) So, if ya get a few spare moments, let me know what to expect on the 28th! Thanks in advance! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 06:43:11 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: glass of milk... >So we've got trains, space, and milk....I feel like a little boy. And, as we all know, the Johns are lactose intolerant. (j/k) BTW, CDNow considers the unofficial site to be a "Cool Link." Cool. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:16:05 EST Subject: coffee house I am playng at my school's Coffee House also!!!! The End Of The Tour is a possible TMBG cover for this event!! Boba Out. <^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^> -Matthew Ondrey, So.D. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO <_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_><_> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:21:56 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Presidents of the United States of America Ben or Been here. Call Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE Spondee & Boingo mixed together!!!! *** I remember a post going up sometime this year calling attention to that quirky group, The Presidents of the USA, and claiming that that group's favorite band is They Might Be Giants. I then thought of that group's name, and its possible connection to TMBG. "The Presidents of the United States of America." What's the TMBG connection? Let's take a look: _Lincoln_ Brian Dewan's structure built for the cover of _Lincoln_ "James K. Polk" "My Evil Twin"--"that resembled a Republican president" "Purple Toupee"--"somebody put their fingers in the President's ears" "Ana Ng" video--looks presidential "They'll Need a Crane" album photo--has Brian Dewan's structure among many other Presidential references, I'm sure . . . Can you guys come up with any more? C Ja, Ben or Been Not yet of the International Society for General Semantics ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:28:27 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Modes of transportation We've gone through trains and space (ships), two modes of transportation. What other TMBG songs mention other modes of transportation, or simply the act of getting from one place to another? Here's some that I thought of (no lyric sheets I promise): Rabid Child "Truckers pass" Road Movie To Berlin (self explanatory) We're The Replacements "we're out on the road" Hideaway Folk Family "flatbed" Alienation's For The Rich "just drinking and driving" Ondine "run over my body with a pickup truck" Spy "I see you from my spy plane" AKA Driver (also self explanatory) Shoehorn With Teeth "the plane can never land" Dirt Bike "here comes the dirt bike" Sleeping In The Flowers "I got a ride home with a drunk guy" I Blame You "car keys" Subliminal "when I got hit by a car" Birds Fly "into my windshield" Statue Got Me High "the screaming fire engine" Narrow Your Eyes "I get on the bus" Rhythm Section Want Ad "speak softly drive a Sherman tank" Destination Moon "taxi, rocket" etc also a space song right? I've Got A Match "get out of the car" The End of The Tour "this was the vehicle" Women and Men "out from the boat" That's all I can think of right now, anybody else have any ideas? Mike "every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" John and John, greatest lyricists in the world ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:58:09 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: space songs.... On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > Why Does the Sun Shine? (doh!) > > "I kick the rocks beneath me I squint at the sun" > > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > > Moving to the Sun > > "In the spaceship, the silver spaceship..." > > See the Constellation > > "Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night" > More space songs: > Space Suit > Twisting (if you accept "She's not your satellite") > Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love (bullets through the atmosphere) > The World's Address (earth is a planet!) > For Science > Piece Of Dirt (once again earth is in fact a planet) Wow, that's some list...please allow me to add the following songs. I compiled this list while in math class, so that shows you what my priorities are: Theme From Flood (Why is the world in love again...) Particle Man (Universe Man) She's An Angel (I heard there was space program) It's Not My Birthday (When this grey world crumbles...) Apollo 18 (I know it's not a song, but it's still a space reference, so lay off!) Meet James Ensor (The world was transformed...) Destination Moon (need I say more??) What Bothers The Space Man? (it's from Mono Puff, for those of you who don't know) Toddler Highway (In the morning sun...) 32 Footsteps (32 new moons shining on 32 skies) Kiss Me Son Of God (And the world screams...) Rhythm Section Want Ad (In the world we call our home...) Statue Got Me High (...and it turned me to the sky...) She's Actual Size (Light beams down from heaven...) Road Movie To Berlin (We were once so close to heaven...) I only put the last two in 'cause, as we all know, space is sometimes referred to as "the heavens", so I figured, close enough. If there are any more that I haven't thought of, let me (and everybody else) know. If there are enough "Space Songs", maybe I'll compile them all on one tape...a good excuse to listen to MORE TMBG...it never seems to be enough! Tracy...or Bryan...or who ever you are today...I liked the "head" idea. Oops...that didn't come out quite right, did it? What I meant was that I liked the idea about finding all the TMBG songs that mention the word "head"...a few that spring into mine are: Dead (as my head fell in the basket) We Want A Rock (...prosthetic foreheads on their head...) Unsupervied, I Hit My Head (also from Mono Puff) Any others??? Seems like this can go on forever...which is just fine with me. How's about songs that mention musical instruments?... or that just have something to do with music in general?? On a totally unrelated note...I have about 6 or 7 different live performances of Birdhouse In Your Soul, and on each one, Flans plays the same guitar solo...not the one from the album track...a different one. Also, before he starts the solo, Linnell will often yell out something like "John...paint the house!" or "Mr. Bob Villa!" or just the word "house!". This has made me very curious! Through my acute powers of observation and deduction, I am guessing that the solo Flans is playing is the theme song from that home renovation show that Bob Villa (spelling??) hosts, but I can't be sure, cause I've never seen the show. Can anybody help me out with this...please!!?? It's not like I've been losing sleep over it, but I would like to know. That's enough for now...I've gone on far too long. Alex, who only can do what he knows how to do well ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:40:13 -0500 (EST) From: Carson Herrick Subject: Re: WE HATE ANTS > From: "Matthew Seth Meyer" > Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 21:31:00 -500 (EST) > Subject: We Hate They Might Be Ants > > If you'll look more closely at the controversial "We Hate They Might > Be Giants" picture, you'll notice that it actually say "We Hate They > Might Be Ants". That's why it's easily my favorite TMBG album photo. > > mattman Sorry, Matt. I YOU will look more closely... The sign actually 'say' WE HATE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. However The boys head covers the 'GI'. Notice the small spot of black showing next to his neck....thats an 'I' curved like ')' because of the twisting of the whole sign. The 'G' sticks out a little on the other side of his face. NOTICE: I have altered this picture to say WE LOVE THEY MIGHT... And put it on my web page at http://www.cs.utk.edu/~herrick/music.html Please feel free to copy the image for yourselves and plaster it all over the internet...spreading the message from the Ambassidors of Love to all who view it. Carson Herrick (just a guy made of dots and lines) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:42:01 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: Obo's TMBG page. You may have seen, or heard about this. I didn't see it on the mailing list yet, so I'm posting something about it. In the 4/96 issue of "The 'Net", they included a review of the TMBG page at www.dnai.com/~obo.. If you care: "They Might Be Giants is a certifably weird band. While this site doesn't quite capture the group's oddnewss, it does offer cool fan resources: news updates, tour info, links to lyrics, FAQ, FTP archives, and a link to a MUSH that's partly modeled on a TMBG product. The best part isDial-A-Song Online. For the last 10 years, the band put a recording of demos, new songs, and assorted weirdness on a regular phone line that you could call for free in the New York City area. While it's less costly to get this from the Web, it does take longer. -MP Overall: C+" --- Tom Sullivan / Jonas Head Editor edi@cybercomm.net http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html Jonas 16 -- One Year Anniversary -- April 2, 1996 --- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:14:10 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Trains & Glass of Milk > Do They have some sort of obsession with trains?? Seven or eight songs > seems to be too many to be just a coincedence. Once upon a time, on the old list, there was a big thread about all the various forms of transportation that keep coming up in Their songs. Rockets (space again), trains, cars, boats of cars, Shriner-mobiles, ships, etc. etc. Do I need to name all the songs...? > Glass of milk opens Mammal but what is the other one? Someone mentioned the fingertip, in the Ana Ng video theres a really cool shot of a glass of milk being poured, then it's played backwards so the milk shoots out of the glass. (You know, on the old list there was also this bizarre, somewhat violent thread about lactose intolerance....I hope we can avoid that again)) I'm going to stop before this godawfulmolassesinwinterslowerthanaturtle connection makes me bash this monitor in. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 10:10:37 MST Subject: Re: Krauss ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 27 ----- Begin Included Message ----- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 20:51:05 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Krauss What ever happened to original TMBG producer Bill Krauss? I gots to know. Mike. "we have our own song and we'd like to get it recorded" ----- End Included Message ----- He's in "a room comfortably small, with rubber lining the wall" --Absolutely Bill's Mood (TMBG) ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 11:33:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Misunderstood Lyric Organization: Meharry Medical College I know They usually have printed lyrics with Their CDs, but I haven't studied them all. Ennyweigh, I mostly listen in the car. So here's my misunderstood phrase of late: In "Twisting," where They sing (apparently) "She's not your satellite," and though I know this to be true, for some reason, I hear "She's not your samurai!" Heh. Ennywon else? ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"A monument Nashville TN USA | Of granite sent hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| A beam into my eye."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:37:38 -0500 (EST) From: "Jeanette, the lost Warner sib" Subject: My "End if the Tour" parody (fwd) I forgot if I sent this out..... If I did, send all flames directly to the trash bin.... :) Hope y'all like it!!!!!! *-----------------------------------------------------------------cut here THE BALLAD OF STEVE URKEL sung to They Might Be Giants's "The End of the Tour" Lyrics by Jeanette C. Frost :) There's a nerd with a pocket protector On a sitcom on ABC And he shows that TV isn't what it's been Every time he's on in my home And I wish that this show would be over now Oh, please, please, let it be over now I'm begging you, please make it over now I can take no more When Urkel's on the tube He's a strange sight to see Every time that he comes into sight With his armpit-high floods And his coke-bottle specs I wish Urkel was not on the tube Been on TV since that episode Back in 1991 A "hate interest" for the eldest daughter On that "Family Matters" show Who could tell that the public would love him? Why do they make plastic talking dolls of him? I wish that somebody would go and shove him Into the Grand Canyon When Urkel's on the tube Makes me shudder with fear Every time that he makes his entrance With white socks and black shoes And a hideous laugh - I wish Urkel was not on the tube His accordian makes Even Linnell look bad! I wish Urkel was not on the tube This is the TV show These are it's people He comes through the door To piss off all the people This is the TV show These are it's people He comes through the door To piss off all the people This is the TV show And all it's people Send Urkel home. (Instrumental break) When Urkel's on the tube Wish he would disappear Every time that he comes through the door With his horrible snort And his silly sayings I wish Urkel was not on the tube Every time he yells "Do you guys have any cheese?" I wish Urkel was not on the tube. And I'm never gonna watch this again. No, I'm never gonna watch this again. Hope you all enjoyed this...... and pass it along to anyone that knows the song!!!! Or hates Urkel, either or. Oh, and to any of the folks at home who don't know the song, tell me and I'll play it for you. :) Love you all, 'Nette *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob." "You have no idea." - Pinky & the Brain *------------------------------------------------------------------- "Done someone wrong, and I fear that it was me" - TMBG, "Sapphire Bullets" *------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette C. Frost Trenton State College Frost@trenton.edu #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:37:34 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Heads, and thinking Songs which deal with heads or heads which think... Where Your Eyes Don't Go (both "Skullhead" and "the thinking part") It's Not My Birthday "as I walk I think about a new way to walk and the time spent using up the time left to think" Birds fly "thoughts fall from my thoughts" Fingertips "aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye" (eye in head, of course) Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (obvious, and I may have missed a post on this subject so forgive me if I did) Twisting "in the wind" like from a noose round the neck which is attached to the head! Someone Keeps Moving My Chair "spilled on his brain" once again this may have been cited already Hearing Aid (goes in your ear which is a part of your head) Sleeping In The Flowers "he showed me how to spin my head round and round" Oh, I don't know. Just keeping Alex's thread going. Try not to hate me. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:01:54 -0500 (EST) From: Nola Weaver Subject: Etown reunion! Hey kids out there? Who's going to the Etown show? Don't worry, tthat's a rhetorical question. Me and my pal Mary Ellen were in our They Might Be Giants fantasy mode a couple of weeks ago and came up with some fun ideas for the Etown show. (No, I'm not going to do a Top Ten, that's Tracy's job, and there aren't even ten ideas). We live in Towson, and we know there are people from this area going, as well as from PA, etc. But I digress. WE ALL AS LIST MEMBERS MUST MEET!!! How? At the front door? On the road and form a grand caravan? Inside? After? Before? These things are on my mind. Should we go out for an allnight party afterwards? It's on a FRIDAY, isn't it? Mail me with ideas, people. If all fails, when you get there look for a short chick with long hair holding up a neon sign with YOUR name on it, and looking like a lunatic. This will be better than a flesh fest, better than Lollapalooza, better than Twizzlers. WE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN, WITH JOHN AND JOHN OUR MUSES. *-----------------------------------------NOLA---------------------------- "Opinions are like assholes, and everybody's got one." Salt-n-Pepa ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:34:00 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: I am never Bryan Hello all I just wanted to emphasize that while this may be Bryan's account, he never uses it, so if you mail me here then I will get it and not him...his usual address is bshelton@eden.rutgers.edu A mass response because I am lazy: Matt: The e-town list thing is great, I would appreciate all info that you can scrounge up on that...I really want to go... speaking of which... Cortney: You don't have a car by any chance? Thought we might be able to carpool from Scranton. Alex: Another challenge, my friend...I'll think of all the head songs I can...and transportation? Hmm I'll stick with heads for now...*sigh* let's think: -- Put Your Hand Inside the PuppetHEAD -- "32 feathers in my brand new Indian HEADdress" (shut up, it works) -- "All the people are so happy now their HEADs are caving in.." -- "Somewhere they're meeting on a pinHEAD calling you an angel.." -- "You're free to come & go, or talk like Kurtis Blow but there's a pair of eyes in back of your HEAD" -- "Should you worry when the skull HEAD is in front of you..." -- "Now helmets on each HEAD, awaiting the first lead...." okay forget going in order I have to call my dad at work so I can write more later but for now the only ones I can think of are: -- Stand on Your Own HEAD -- "and who we thought would find us highly amusing, quickly swiveled his HEAD around..." -- "It crushed my HEAD, garcon where's my drink?" (ok Linnell and Mono Puff count too) -- "Fire alarms go off in your HEAD you live in the nightgown of the sullen moon...." -- "wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, using a green magic marker if it's all right on the back of your HEAD..." Okay that's a little too much for the moment...I may be back later. Have a great day...a heady one if you will... Love, Trace ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:02:20 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Songs about space: More references to space in Their songs: She's An Angel ("I heard they had a space program...") You'll Miss Me ("You'll see my teeth in the stars above") -Sean ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:40:54 -0500 Subject: Re: Modes of transportation In a message Mike wrote: > That's all I can think of right now, anybody else have any ideas? > Mike What about Boat of Car? That has 2 things in it. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 17:34:52 -0500 Subject: Re: Modes of transportation Everything right is wrong Again and Boat-Of-Car of course... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 17:36:09 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: E-town number! Hiya friends! This is cortney, I just called E-town to see if I could find out any additional info about the show (I called (717) 361-1000) and they they gave me a NEW number! Here it is for any of you who'd like to call: (717) 361-1303 This is the number for the activities board at E-town, the activities board are the actual people running the show. However, no one will be there in the office until Monday, so hold your calls until then! And if any of you out there get any new info Re: E-town, *please* email me at: ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu (Does anyone know *where* we can get tix?) Anyway, if I get infor, I'll be sure to do the same! Thanks, have a great Friday night! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: U.DAUFENBACH@cbr.aworld.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: Re: Theme from Flood??? Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 0:00:00 GMT gregb@westworld.com meinte am 05.02.96 zum Thema "Theme from Flood???" im Brett /tmbg-mailing-list: > 2. What TV commercial features identical "Yo Yo Yo" vocals, like those > found in "Mr. Me"? (And which came first, the TMBG song or the > commercial?) Ye-hah, I saw the pit-stop commercial on the German Tee Vee (three bubby guys saluting for car service, and the background voice sang yo-yo-yo, just as THEY did) bout two years ago and 've been asking myself the same question. Never found out myself, sorry, but nevertheless I'd like to know. Greetings from Glueckstadt, Germany! U w e ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 18:52:34 -0500 Subject: Re: March 7th Mercury Lounge show! How good was the (early) show last night? Well, I told my mom about it, and even she was excited. And she's not a big TMBG fan, for some strange reason. I'm still bouncing up and down at the mere thought of the show, and I've not been listening to TMBG, rather Jawbreaker. Firsly, let me tell you where I was... Right in front of Linnell's mike stand. I was less than two feet from him, right against the stage. He looked down, and, well, there I was. My friend Bruce was standing next to me, and she (not he) went into a trance state. I pinched her a couple of times, just to make sure she was still with us on Earth. That's how close we were. And Linnell was _very_ animated last night. Quite chatty and smiling. THeY looked like they were having much fun. The Johns had a minor argument at the beginning of "Dirtbike" about who was supposed to start the song. They talked back to the audience. Flansburgh told a long story. They played a lot of new songs, including Spiraling Shapes, (TMBG are) Lost, Faker, Older, and... (I don't have the set list, because Bruce stole it.) I'm bad at remembering all the songs, but they also played Spider, The Guitar, Ana Ng, Dirtbike, Subliminal, Snail Shell, James K. Polk, Santa's Beard, End Of the Tour, Whistling in The Dark, We're The Replacements, She Was A Hotel (Disco)tective, NyQuil Driver, Particle Man, Stomp Box, Twistin', Sleeping In The Flowers, Meet James Ensor, Sensurround, and Dinner Bell. I think I might have missed one of the new songs, forgive me. I'll get the actual set list and post it, if someone else doesn't do so first. THeY were flubbing all over the place. Very funny. It was the best TMBG show that I have been to... this was my seventh. And my friend Bruce rated this as her most favorite, and she's been to eleven. Lisa, who is just so old school, can't even remember how many times she's seen them, and she loved it. So, all of you who are going to the future shows @ ML... If it is anything like last night, you are in for an incredible show. And refreshments! We brought cinnamon gummy bears to the show last night, and next week we're thinking Jelly Beans. (If you were at the show last night and were given a gummy bear by someone with short hair... That was me.) The horns _were not_ there, but then, the stage at ML is so small that they would have to hang them from the ceiling, which just can't be good for horn players. Ah. And I get to do this three (maybe more) times this month! Love, brooks. btw - TMBG are Lost counts as a transportation song, since it's about them traveling (in the van). That and "Older" are fantastic. : ) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:09:40 -0800 (PST) From: Littlewood Subject: What Do You Want on Your Web Page? Hi, this is JL's Giant Page drive-thru, taking orders for what kind of info 'yall want on a compact (I can only have 2 to 3 megs) web page for you-know-who. I'm looking for a source for tour dates, and so on. If anyone has a couple of good ideas, I'd be more thatn willing to hear abou them! Thanks in advance. -JL- --- New Giant page! http://www.europa.com/~alittlew/tmbg.html check it out, man. Send ideas/feed back to alittlew@reed.edu or alittlew@europa.com. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:05:47 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: some stuff... Okay...I'm getting reeeeeally sick of using this Rutgers account, I wish Marywood didn't suck monkeys. Anyway...thanks to all with info on etown...I too was wondering if we would all be able to know each other at the show...like hey, I'm short with brown hair and will probably wear my TMBG tshirt...I think that's a little vague...shall we all carry red roses? Yeah like I could afford that...okay it's not even 3 am and this is already not making sense...anyway my quest for etown shall not be stopped... Okay, I thought of another head song "If I had a pair of eyes in the back of my HEAD for each time, you forgot to take out all the things, etc etc" from Letterbox. To Alex...sorry I'd email you privately but your address is too damn long and I don't have the reply option on this system...anyway, you wrote about Birdhouse and "paint the house" etc, I listened to my copy of the 1993 Dr. Spock's Back-up Band tape and I heard "paint the house" but I don't think it's the This Old House theme song, unless it is SEVERLY distorted (my father subjected me to many hours in front of the TV watching Bob and Norm talk about cornice molding)...I would however like to ask anyone who has a copy of that concert in Chicago in 93 what the Johns are saying in that part of Istanbul when they're doing the microphone echo thingy...my grasp of the English language is slipping...please know what I'm talking about..uhhh...ok Anyway, I'll keep thinking of head songs...transportation...crashed my bicycle in a big South Carolina wreck...get on my bike ride down our block, ride thru the world, thru the green lights...(was that right, I haven't listened to Apollo in weeks?)...anyway... New topic: I'm sure many of you know that the Giants incorporate other song lyrics into their songs at times...coming to mind immediately are The Biggest One "Oh no not I, I will survive.." and Lucky Ball and Chain "There goes the bride as she walked out the door" <-- okay so that one's a bit distorted from the original song...but you all do know what I mean. However, I believe that there is only so much borrowing They would do...that is why I present the: Tracy's Top Ten Song Lyrics Never to be Used in a They Song: 10. "All right stop, collaborate and listen, Ice is back with a brand new invention...." 9. "She's my Little Miss Honky-Tonk" 8. "Yo no soy marinaro, soy capitan, soy capitan..." 7. "Take off your clothes and leave on your shoes..." 6. "What if God was one of us?" 5. "If you feel like a song, tune into us and sing right along, we're the Chipmunks..." 4. "She wore an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka dot bikini..." 3. "I want to f**k you like an animal..." 2. "Log rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs..." 1. "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun..." Not to insult any of those songs (only some of them) and I thought of It's Not My Birthday as another song with other lyrics in it...please tell me I'm not the only person who knows the song MacArthur Park... you know, someone left the cake out in the rain...hehe please I'm really not nuts....anyway, if anyone cares I still know a great number of the words to Ice Ice Baby, unfortunately. That's one of those things, like you can't remember that the Annunciation by Fra Angelico was painted in 1440 for you Art History Test, but you can remember every word to a bad song your friends forced you to listen to in eighth grade. Go fig. Unsupervised, I Hit My Tracy :) all right stop collaborate and listen, ice is back with a brand new invention something grabs a hold of me tightly flow like a harpoon daily and nightly will it ever stop? (help!) I don't know, turn off the lights, and I'll glow, (something something) wax a chump like a candle...oh yeah I rock a mic like a vandal light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle, dance, bum rush the speaker that booms, I'm killing your brain like a poisonous mushroom deadly, when I play a dope melody any thing less than the best is a felony... oh my sweet lord, I think I've been brainwashed by Vanilla Ice... this from the girl who passionately hates rap music of any sort... let me just tell you that I need serious help...please tell me that someone else out there had friends that made them listen to strange music in the late eighties and I'm not the only one...I can do a fine job of recalling MC Hammer too. I should have been a loner. Help, before the infection grows....*waaaaaah!* Tracy, who none of you will respect in the morning...love you... ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: What Do You Want on Your Web Page? Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:13:13 -0500 (EST) > Hi, this is JL's Giant Page drive-thru, taking orders for what > kind of info 'yall want on a compact (I can only have 2 to 3 megs) web > page for you-know-who. I'm looking for a source for tour dates, and so > on. If anyone has a couple of good ideas, I'd be more thatn willing to > hear abou them! Thanks in advance. At long last real work is being done on the tmbg.com web site (although you can't see it yet). After several people asked me about tour dates I passed it along to the management, and said they might want to get that info up ASAP. I would expect to see it soon. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:21:18 -0500 Subject: your sex/age hey ive been on the list, for awile now. im wondering what the age/sex is on all of you. Ive been tryign to decide by your style, but i cant. when you reply, dont post it, just mail it to me. thanks -the 14 year guy in the first row (aka) -KAA ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 20:21:28 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: I'm offline My local service provider is going down this weekend. No web site updates or mail from me for a couple of days. :-( See you on the other side! --Jon +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 19:30:39 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Re: Modes of transportation -Reply Okay, here's one of my favourite: ..."If you're driving in your car right now, we urge you to sit back, relax, close your eyes and drive really fast" -from We just go nuts at Christmastime Marc ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:42:48 -0600 (CST) Subject: Some more ramblings from Okla. I know that this has been said before but I would like to re-iterate it once again(sorry for being redundent, you know, repeatin things, again, over and over, again ;) They Might Be Giants music should foster peace and love and understanding, not hate and disagreement. There have been a lot, too many message lately that have been attacks on idividuals and the list as a whole. I think that such postings are anathema to the purpose behind Them and Their music. Without naming names, I am sure that we all know what I am talking about. Please end this internal bickering and get back to the real purpose of this list - enjoying TMBG.(Enough of my whining) Chris aka Personman ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 00:57:49 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: some stuff... On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Bryan Shelton wrote: > New topic: > I'm sure many of you know that the Giants incorporate other song > lyrics into their songs at times...coming to mind immediately are > The Biggest One "Oh no not I, I will survive.." and Lucky Ball and > Chain "There goes the bride as she walked out the door" <-- okay > so that one's a bit distorted from the original song...but you > all do know what I mean. However, I believe that there is only so Apparently, They are big Elvis fans. I posted this bit of trivia earlier, but nobody seemed to give a damn...so I'm going to do it again, thanks to this opening by my friend Tracy. Other borrowed lyrics include: "Quit myyyyyyy....job down at the carwash, didn't have to write no one a goodbye note" "This good luck charm hangin' of o' my arm..." And a combination of "Hide underneath the porch, hide down behind the furnace..." AND "Out from the kitchen, to the bedroom, to the hallway..." These are all lyrics originally sung by The King. The first one is from a song called Guitar Man, the second is from Good Luck Charm, and the last two, when combined, become "Hide in the kitchen, hide in the hall...", from the song Stuck On You. It seems Elvis was a big influence. > It's Not My Birthday as another song with other lyrics in it...please > tell me I'm not the only person who knows the song MacArthur Park... Your absolutely right about all the other borrowed lyrics, including the one from MacArthur Park...you're not the only person who knows that song. Now, some people will think that Them borrowing lyrics, detracts from Their song writing abilities...NOT TRUE!!! I think choosing the right lyrics, and finding just the right place to use them, as only They can, just shows Their how prolific They can really be. It's also fun to be surprised by hearing the original song a lyric is used in. I almost ran my car into a telephone pole when I first heard Elvis singing "Quit my job down at the carwash..."...freaked the Hell out of me!! I can't think of any other incorporated lyrics at the moment, but since they seem to come mostly from 60's and 70's rock and roll songs, I'm sure I'll be able to find some more, seeing as how the Oldies station is the only radio station my car can tune in properly...only AM, no tape deck!! I'm going to stop typing now. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:26:42 -0800 (PST) From: Marvin the Unreal Subject: Re: trains gee, look everybody here comes the train thread again. wonder if we'll make sense of it again. i personally think it must be Freudian ;) Marvin of 41 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 01:07:47 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Carl Flatowicz <00206716@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Tiny T**tted Tootsies? TMBG is a good band. BUt I wonder....is it true... That Jon (singer JOn) was once in a band called "Tiny Titted Tootsies" ??? I heard that he was. And it was way back in high school and he regrets it. Because it was a bad band and the demo still circulates. I heard this a few times now and wonder if it be true. Anybody know for sure??? -Jason Flatowicz ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-69 *****************************