Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-71 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 71 Monday, 11 March 1996 Today's Topics: Dinner Bell! Speculations on New Album I'll try again everything's... Details, Details presidents of USA TMBG Links Aplenty te4lnetting back home already :( Fang Implants ?'s about Moxy F. and Pere Ubu so skip if you don't care ?'s about Moxy F. and Pere Ubu so skip if you don't care Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Dinner Bell! Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 03:35:56 -0500 (EST) From: "** j e n **" BTW, I heard DINNER BELL for the first time LIVE at Northampton. (I think they played it at Mercury Lounge, too.) It was awesome live. They didn't play that at Biddeford. They didn't play Spiraling Shape or Sensurround either. Nonetheless, it was a great show. (Can't reiterate that enough!) And in case that person who questioned whether the Mercury Lounge shows were still on, I believe they are. Two shows per Thursday night. Only three more shows left there. Better hurry to get tickets!!! :D ------------------------------ From: CharlieDs@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 12:42:01 -0500 Subject: Speculations on New Album Ok, They are playing new material at concerts. As I recall back in '94 They started playing new material in the summer. Maybe late spring. Anywho, 3 or 4 months later, BOOM, new album. Three weeks before that new album, new single, Back To Skull. The only single CD-5 released off that Album. What will Elektra and the giants do this time? Will we get a new album this summer? Will we only get one CD-5 off of this album? Will we get more that one video? Does anyone have the answers to these questions? I'm still asking question, aren't I? My plea to Elektra: Please give us 3 videos and 3 singles. Please give us a new album. Please give it to us soo. End of my plea to Elektra. Ok I'm done with my ramblings, (|-|/\R|_IE|)s@/\()|_.(o/\/\ "Coffee is a social disorder." The Charlie Show: http://members.aol.com/CharlieDs/charlie.html ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 05:34:27 +0000 Subject: I'll try again Hello everyone Maybe y'all missed my last message or something. I'll restate it briefly: I'm a high school student with allowance but no job. Is Hello worth saving pennies for? If so, which year is the best? PLEASE PLEASE respond so I can determine if I should break my piggy bank. thanks much BTW I'm 18, female, not a dj, no sex, no drugs, no alcohol. I think that covers the last several threads. :) I think that we should rename Thursday "TheyDay" and declare that only Their music can be played on TheyDay. It would make Thursday the best day of the week! Crime would become nonexistent on TheyDay because everyone would be so happy listening to Them that it would be a happy world! --nicole (who is going back to the kitchen for more caffeine-related food items now) p.s. any truth to the rumor that They are coming to CA? If so, WHEN and WHERE? (With my luck, it'll be sometime this summer when I won't be here) "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: everything's... Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:50:33 -0500 (EST) In Everything Right is Wrong Again, there is a distinct harpsicord sound in the middle there, anyone thing Linnell is playing one or just making his keyboard sound like one? I'm thinking the latter but it'd be cool if he really had a harpsicord! 8-) Love, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 15:54:35 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Details, Details Ben or Been, yes, is here, there, everywhere. In the February edition of _Details_ magazine, a reader writes in and groups the band They Might Be Giants among some of the most important "geek" or "nerd" bands of the eighties. Give it a looksee and see if you agree. Bye Bye Birdie in my Soul Coughing, Ben or Been of The Five Percent Nation of People who want to strangle the Snuggle Bear ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: presidents of USA Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 17:22:29 -0500 (EST) > I saw the P of USA open for tmbg last summer here in Seattle and was = > totally unimpressed, although many at that show probably ran right out = > and bought the single. The p's sure took off from there, so perhaps = > it's due to finding Their audience. The theory of the P's name has it = > that it came from playing a gig for the local democrats when Clinton was = > in town. > Heya, I aw the Prez of the USA at the Harbor in Baltimore and it was pretty cool. It was an outdoor show ab out 10 feet from the harbor water and I coulda ran up to them and pushed them into the harbor but I decided to go up and shake their hands and get the lead singer to sign my library card which I still have and it says "Read Now" on it. They were pretty cool, it had been their first visit to Baltimore. Love, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 17:53:39 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG Links Aplenty The TMBG Links Aplenty pages are now online at the unofficial site. If you know of a TMBG-relate link that's not listed there, send it to me and I'll add it. As always, the URL is: http://www.tmbg.org/ We'll leave the light on for ya. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:17:12 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: te4lnetting back home already :( You guys thought this was my last stint as Bryan. Wrong. My MW account is screwy so I'm waiting for it to be fixed. Pray that our sys admin is fast and gentle :) I swear I will srespond to everyone who wrote me personally as soon as I can...sorry about the typos. Anyway, I was just wondereing if anyone knew the answer to my questiuon of a few days ago about who writes whose songs etc. I was just curious...I do talk about serious stuff (sometimes) maybe I'm just depressed...back at school...*sigh* Okay this really should be my last time as Bryan... sorry this message has so little content. I miss my computer.\ Any else love Man of La Mancha? I have never heard Moxy Fruvous (sp?) but everyone seems to think they are cool, so I may have to check them out. The woman who wants to be Dave Letterman's love-slave (j/k!) , Tracy for whoever was asking, I am a 19 year old female though Tracy is always in the boy's section of a baby name book :(:( ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:12:56 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Fang Implants > Band Names I Came Up With: > 7. Fang Implants That one actually has some meaning if you've read Neuromancer or Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson. Is anyone else extremly annonyed that there are only 2 TMBG shirts in XXL? Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting the others in big sizes? If you *really* want to know my gender is male and my age is 5525. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: Bejezus@aol.com Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 23:24:34 -0500 Subject: ?'s about Moxy F. and Pere Ubu so skip if you don't care Heysers to everyone who decided to read this. First, I just got the Moxy album B-ville. It rocks up the house! So now I'm trying to figure out which guy is which. I think I already figured out Dave and Jean, but does anyone know which is Mike and which is Murray? Please give answers in reference to pictures in B-ville. Also on the M.F. tip, has anyone translated the lyrics to Morphee? Second topic, I heard that Tony M. (bass for the full band TMBG) played in Pere Ubu, but today I listened to it at a store and he wasn't listed as a band member. Do they use aliases (sp?)? Thanks fo the help, Brother JohnBejezus (formerly Beezus) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: ?'s about Moxy F. and Pere Ubu so skip if you don't care Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 02:44:51 -0500 (EST) > > Heysers to everyone who decided to read this. First, I just got the Moxy > album B-ville. It rocks up the house! So now I'm trying to figure out which > guy is which. I think I already figured out Dave and Jean, but does anyone > know which is Mike and which is Murray? Please give answers in reference to > pictures in B-ville. Also on the M.F. tip, has anyone translated the lyrics > to Morphee? > Second topic, I heard that Tony M. (bass for the full band TMBG) played > in Pere Ubu, but today I listened to it at a store and he wasn't listed as a > band member. Do they use aliases (sp?)? > Thanks fo the help, > Brother JohnBejezus (formerly Beezus) > Heya! I had my friend have his friend translate the words to Morphee and I have an e-mail message with the translation. She said it was rather beautiful, made her cry and stuff so if I find it i'll forward it to ya. I don't have my Bargainville Cd with me as my friend is borrowing it (for about a month or a month and a half now and I miss it) but let me think. The long hairred guy I think is Jean, hmm I can't do this without the pics, I'll get the cd back and figure it out. I did see them for about 1 minute downtown when we tried to see them, it was cool for that 1 minute. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-71 *****************************