Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-73 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 73 Wednesday, 13 March 1996 Today's Topics: Re: BTW, stoners aren't smart. . . unrelated thing A Giant Poem HIP-HIP-HOORAY!!!!!!!! unrelated thing Re: BTW, stoners are smart. . . TMBG MOVIES Re: simple question... don't get all snippy BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! Re: BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! Re: Whistling in the Dark Weird Al connection Re: your sex/age Re: BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! Re: A Giant Poem "Wierd Al" Et Al to speak of Them Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:08:05 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: BTW, stoners aren't smart. . . On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Joseph A Oettinger wrote: > . . .because we don't believe in that puritan crap (keep your legs > crossed) ethic, and we aren't taken in by that anti-drug propagandist > bullsh*t. Get bent or go live with the Reagan's. Oooh, that's really clever of you. Don't let the bastards fool you into believing that drugs are addictive. It's all a conspiracy to keep everyone from having fun and acting stupid. I am not allowed to think, Mark P.S. Go and live with the Reagan's what? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 08:39:11 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: unrelated thing hello all! i have a quick question. this is barely related if at all, so please forgive. people kept referring to "straight-edge" (i just got back from spring break and i'm catching up on all of the digests) and what does that mean? you can email me personally instead of cluttering things up here if you want. :) thanks! peace, anne "curious in michigan" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:22:14 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: A Giant Poem john and john are gone (anon) hey, mon, sing me a sad song to member the guy with the four chunky eyes and the coffee drinking spaz with the puppethead-- tour me around on your great skybound toothbrush (the kind with shoes) and let me honk the horn while the curly drummer hits his thing out out out out, accordian to my observations, they might be dead (anon) willy's on my shirt --crying-- a big head with no place to come nowhere, he calls himself even though he lives on on tape and tapestry 'my shirt jerk' i call him big head 'T' like a monster anon i will get a record when they played happy live, alive with freckles and caffinated kids chiming out particle man particle man and we want istanbul there will no longer be an album for there are more states to sing and puffy monologues to write but who'll teach me drama? and who'll act like a thousand years? and who'll look me in the eyes like at that concert when the accordian spread my way? i had a bar to which i clung so i wouldn't lose the front row place and so the music would ring in my ears for the next three days now (anon) i shall turn to tears that they have left and gone to solos that's how i let them go-- with a single solitary palindrome. --Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:43:56 -0500 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: HIP-HIP-HOORAY!!!!!!!! I received my Hello Club information flyer in the mail yesterday, and just thought all of you would like to share in one of my few moments of joy!!!!!!! It's got _tons_ of info on the whole "Hello-Club-CD" ordeal....I'll post it if you want it........ grd ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: unrelated thing Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:43:01 -0500 (EST) > i have a quick question. this is barely related if at all, so please forgive. > people kept referring to "straight-edge" (i just got back from spring break > and i'm catching up on all of the digests) and what does that mean? > you can email me personally instead of cluttering things up here if you > want. :) thanks! I saw this Straight Edge group on MTV (don't crucify me ;) and apparently they are a group that doesn't do any smoking/drugs/drinking/etc. They have parties and play their own music and such and they wear lots of tatoos and they just don't do any of those substances we've talked about. I thought it was pretty\ cool until I saw that they looked like pretty violent people (although I'm pretty sure they are not from listening to the show). They mosh a lot too and listen to heavy metal and such so it was a bit scary. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:00:27 -0500 (EST) From: Joseph A Oettinger Subject: Re: BTW, stoners are smart. . . hey, c'mon now. We are all in this together and we all die sometime. If I die a happier (and probably more stress-free) person than you, I think I succeeded in making out really well in life. You are no better than I, any more than you are any better than those who smoke CIGARETTES. Talk about destruction. Nonetheless, I will not debate the use of drugs on this net and have already said enough. Deepak Chopra is the shit. . . check him out. And be nice to me, someday I'll find a cure for some horribly debilitating disease such as spiritual maladjustment, or worse yet, stupidity (aka diseasus uninformeditus naiviteus freshmanus). Toda raba, shalom. joe ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: TMBG MOVIES Date: Mon, 11 Mar 96 12:14:00 P Again I would like to ask, does any one have any TMBg music videos If you have any besides these: Purple Toupee They'll Need A Craine Ana Ng She Was A Hotel Detective Don't Lets Start Put Your Hand Inside the puppet head Please contact me. I would be really interested in getting them -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ "You're free to come and goor talk like Kurtis Blow," TMBG "truth only exsists in the hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. + "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." + "very small rocks?"..."and what do you burn aapart from whitch's? MORE WITCHS!!" monty python TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-.. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:41:17 -0500 (EST) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: simple question... don't get all snippy On Tue, 12 Mar 1996 Naidee@aol.com wrote: > I was wondering how often the songs are switched on the dail-a song. > And why does this drug thing something of such a personal nature even become > such a reoccurring issue on this list. > love you all > mo-pet > There's a new song every hour On They Might Be Giants Dial-A-Song So call back in an hour After you hear this next song And your call is next! Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:30:15 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! Here's the latest addition to the Bozo File for your viewing entertainment: >From: wobryant@dsu2.deltast.edu >Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:36:51 -0600 >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >X-Personal_Name: STUFF! >Subject: e me or dye!!!!! > >thatz right >e me back or i'll dye u >well maybe not u exactly but someone who looks like u or maybe just a news >paper >clipping or something. >i dunno... >by the way my name is STUFF! and i'm a weirdo > and a big fan of your work. >i remember when put your hand inside the puppet head was all the rage >and where your eyes dont go and lie still little bottle and racist friend >and why am i listing your songs here as if u dont know them already >well i just dig u john but i dont like john very much >so there u have it >well i gotta go hope to read from u soon >latre. > It is minds such as these Puts a John ill at ease. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 15:58:17 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! Couple of questions... 1)Where did you dig this up at? 2)Who was it really to? And why did he think John and John would get it? 3)What does that say in english? 4)Woudln't you rather dye? I mean you can tie dye a shirt or dye your hair or something else instead of trying to make sense of that . Oh well enough thinking... > >Subject: e me or dye!!!!! > > > >thatz right > >e me back or i'll dye u > >well maybe not u exactly but someone who looks like u or maybe just a news > >paper > >clipping or something. > >i dunno... > >by the way my name is STUFF! and i'm a weirdo > > and a big fan of your work. > >i remember when put your hand inside the puppet head was all the rage > >and where your eyes dont go and lie still little bottle and racist friend > >and why am i listing your songs here as if u dont know them already > >well i just dig u john but i dont like john very much > >so there u have it > >well i gotta go hope to read from u soon > >latre. > > > > > It is minds such as these > Puts a John ill at ease. > ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 16:29:19 -0500 Subject: Re: Whistling in the Dark Ialways heard that "whistling in the dark" was just one person's peculiarity (sp?). Like, this person does something weird, but it's just thier way of "whistling in the dark". I hope i made this clear enough, if i didn't, feel free to e-mail me. Just one humble opinion. Llama grrl ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 17:23:16 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Weird Al connection Organization: Rollins College Okay, I know a lot of you first heard TMBG on AlTV... I personally first realized they were a real band and not some wonderful creation of Tiny Toons when I saw the Statue video on AlTV in 1992. But anyway, I just got his new CD, Bad Hair Day, and the best track IMHO is called Everything You Know is Wrong. My point: both my and my friend's initial reaction was "Hey! That's a TMBG song!" Well, not exactly, but it sure as heck sounds like one... like he borrowed aspects of a bunch of TMBG songs and stuck 'em together. It's sung really fast, sorta like No One Knows My Plan, the drums sound JUST like Their old drum machine, there's a baritone sax solo much like that in Cabbagetown, a drum solo like in Dest. Moon, and, well... it's really hard to explain, but I'd say there really might be a connection. He did sort of steal the Talking Heads sound in 1987 for "Dog Eat Dog"... without making a specific parody, it just SOUNDS like a Heads song. This seems like much the same thing, and knowing Al appears to be a TMBG fan... well, I dunno, maybe I'm insane. There is a Weird Al page with lyrics to the new songs, which I saw AFTER I decided it was like a TMBG song, and it said also that it sounded like a TMBG-style song. So I dunno... take a listen to it if you can, see what you think.... Destin http://hound.rollins.edu/personal/~dberthelot/ ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: your sex/age Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:30:16 -0800 (PST) > hey > > ive been on the list, for awile now. im wondering what the age/sex is on all > of you. Ive been tryign to decide by your style, but i cant. when you > reply, dont post it, just mail it to me. thanks > > -the 14 year guy in the first row > (aka) -KAA 17. Joey Drago (Former Master DJ) NOW.... -> ADMIN! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:49:43 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: BOZO FILE: e me or dye!!!!! >1)Where did you dig this up at? >2)Who was it really to? And why did he think John and John would get it? I get message after message from people who stumble upon the unofficial site. A strikingly large number of these people are under the impression that I am either Mr. Linnell or Mr. Flansburgh, in spite of the fact that my name is quite prominently displayed by my mailing address, my mailing address has my last name in it, my first name is spelled "Jon," and the site is labeled the *unofficial* site. These messages usually have content like: hay j0hn!!!!! i like yer moozik sew much!!!! u r 2 kewl!!! I thought that that message in particular was very trenchant, and you might enjoy partaking of Mr. STUFF!'s wisdom. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:55:55 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: A Giant Poem Regarding your poem, should I be worried? do you know something the rest of us don't? mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 01:55:43 UT From: "Alan Cook" Subject: "Wierd Al" I just got done listening to Weird Al's new album, (Thumbs up, byt the way!), and I concur that "Everything you know is wrong" is a satire of TMBG's style rather than his usual parody of an individual song. It is VERY good in that respect. I think it's great that they have been recognized and dubiously honored this way. The rest of the album is great, too! Jus' an opinion!-----"Only slightly odd AL" Cook O- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 20:51:18 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Et Al To John Murray and any others having trouble finding videos: Info club. That's where I got mine. Just send your address (I don't think you have to have postage anymore) to the address on the albums or in the FAQ. It takes a while to get a newsletter, but you can order the Bar-None video comp. from it. > >I have a question about this list though. Why don't the John's or other band > >members ever write, or do they? I've been on other mailing lists where the Somebody sent in the FAQ, but I remember sombody on the list saying that they read in an article or something that the newsgroups, mailing list, etc. scared Them. Does anyone else remember this, or am I nuts? > > Is anyone else extremly annonyed that there are only 2 TMBG shirts in > > XXL? > AMEN MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!! TESTIFY!!!!!!! > that really annoyed me too. and it turned out that the Stamps T-shirt in > XXL was made on really thin cotton unlike one of the Dial-a-song t-shirts > i got that's only XL but made on better material. I guess someone is. And I guess I won't order the Stamps shirt. This sucks. > > Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting the others in > > big sizes? > no chance. sucks don't it? Very much so. Argh. > From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) > Subject: Whistling in the Dark [to long to include] *Begin Rant* Thank you for that. Interps and the like are what should be on this list instead of drug/sex arguments and name calling. I know some people don't like Their songs being anaylzed, and I agree that you can take looking for meanings too far (like the Beatles and "Paul is Dead"). But would you really rather read about having sex to Ana Ng then have another possible way to look at Their brilliant lyrics pointed out to you? *End Rant* Now then, anyone got any thoughts/impressions on lyrics? I'll try to remember one I've had and post it. Thank you and goodnight. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 01:58:27 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: to speak of Them It's 2 AM Eastern time. If anyone out there wants to use the handy "talk" function to speak to me right now for a while, go right ahead. After all, we're all friends right? Mike. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-73 *****************************