Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-74 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 74 Thursday, 14 March 1996 Today's Topics: random sex, drugs, rock n' roll and other such vices Re: A Giant Poem XTC vs. Adam Ant Hotel Dectective Re: Misunderstood Lyric hello! straight edge Re: hello! Re: Misunderstood Lyric The messed up words land *twiddle* Like TMBG? to talk of things Them Mercury Lounge Show! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 05:53:33 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas C Pierce Subject: random howdy folks, i'm a new subscriber to the list and i must say that it makes for -very- interesting reading... here's a few thoughts that were rattling around my skull as i read through a few days worth of posts... "The kiddie theme" or "Trains, etc" i think there's definately a huge 'little boy' influence in Thier songs... puppets, too many trains to list, well i won't rehash any more... but it always seems to me that they are reminicing about childhood through their 'jaded' adult eyes. or applying 'child' reasoning to 'adult' problems... anyone else get that impression? (or has this been well thrashed out already?) other ideas? "whistling in the dark" wow. i'm really impressed. every other time i've heard an attempt to logically explain some deep or literary meaning from a tmbg tune, it has always come across as weak, at best (and for this reason i usually don't like to think about Their songs in terms of 'what does it all mean...'). i must say that i have no choice but to totally buy this. that was awesome, do you have any more explanations to share? :) "top ten" very amusing... my fav was probably 'lyrics not to be used in a tmbg song.' oh, i'm almost ashamed to ask, but isn't ice back with a "brand new edition"... :) i know no one will believe me, but some people who lived downstairs from me used to blare that tune each night (through 1000W cerwin-vega speakers, no less) every night at 9pm. dorm walls are thin. "age, sex, and drugs" SWM, 20, 6' brown/hazel. severe caffiene addict, smoker (pack/day camel filters), social drinker, not 'user'-unfriendly, seeks same for companionship while jet-setting around globe... (well, you know everyone lies in these things...) if you've read this far, you'll probably finish... oh, something i noticed for the first time the other night... does anyone out there listen to negativland? well, on the 'escape from noise album' there's this 'scientifically designed hit song' (negativland is a twisted little comedy/entertainment effort of a few dj's from either calif or canada, you either love them or can't stand them, for anyone not familiar...), i happened to hear it the other day and it reminded me of that little intro from 'i hope i get old before i die'... am i imagining this? or do they really sound alike? look, you did! -tom ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:32:23 -0500 Subject: sex, drugs, rock n' roll and other such vices it seems that theres been a lot of flaming back and forth and everybody and his/her brother is proclaiming their sides... well here's my opinion.... the point is drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and all the other stuff is out there ..people are going to do it because it makes them feel good... some of the nicest people i know are the biggest stoners.... everyhting in moderation... The John's drink... i've seen flans suck back a couple of Sam Adams on stage... and they probably experimented with drugs... i'll probably get nailed for that but a) caffeine is a drug, and b) most people in the music biz have at least tried pot once.... everyone got's their vices.. wether it be narcotics, booze, sex, or weird music .. what ever floats your boat.. persoanlly i get high as a kite by just hanging out with the weirdest people i know and just going to concerts to slam dance, stage dive, crowd surf, skank or in TMBG's case bounce around and meet really cool people... (HI JULIE !, HI OPUS ! HI HELENE ! ) so who cares if some one comes out and says TMBG is gos stoner music.... anyone who's left a Giant's concert with a wicked contact high can attone to the fact that is sounds great when you're out of it... Alcohol is fine if you're not drinking for the sole purpose of getting sloshed, and sex is FUN !!!! so everybody get up... stop being ridiculous and enjoy the melodies..... cuz music can soothe even the savage beast... ~=the plaguerat=~ Now in the CD changer o' fun Gob - too late, no friends / NoFx - punk in drublic / Too Much Joy - finally / Soul Coughing - down to this / TMBG - they'll need a crane ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:23:35 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Re: A Giant Poem Michael Rose asked: > Regarding your poem, > > should I be worried? do you know something the rest of us don't? > > mike. No, don't worry. It's hypothetics. I wrote a poem using Stanislavski's magic if. Hope I didn't scare, but I hope you shed a tear, Ben or Been (I'm going now on spring break; Ben's Dial-A-Song will be technically down until March 24th, but you can still leave messages if you would like. I do play a little bit of Spanish Fly on my message.) Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-2583 The home of Quirky Quickies. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:59:15 -0700 (MST) From: PARTRIDGE PATRICK Subject: XTC vs. Adam Ant Hello All I'm a new subscriber to the list but along time TMBG fan. I'm also a huge XTC fan and recently in their mail digest someone mentioned hearing a new TMBG song at a recent show called "XTC vs. Adam Ant". Does anyone out there have any info on the song, i.e.: what's it's like, what it's about, any plans the band has to release the song on album or B-side? Thanks Patrick ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Hotel Dectective Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 12:10:00 P I was just looking through a list of songs that ar eon all of the singles, and albums. And I realized that She Was a Hotel Detective is on tons of their stuff. Call me crazy, but I think to me self that that must be one of their favorite songs or something. They keep on making new versions of it, and From all of the people I've talked to, they play it at a lot of their concerts. Well that's jsut my 2 cents. Lately from influencing superiors, I have been getting alot of crap about how TMBG sucks. I tell them that they're the best band in the world, but they don't listen. They also seem to think that TMBG must be broke, because "who would buy that crap". So could you e-mail me, telling me how old you are, and were you live. Just so I can prove to them, how many people like them. THANX -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies+ "You're free to come and goor talk like Kurtis Blow," TMBG "truth only exsists in the hearts of the men that embrace + it", me. "Is it just me, or is it hot in +here"...."No brenden, it's just + you." "very small rocks?"..."and what do you burn aapart from whitch's? MORE WITCHS!!" monty python TMBG-ENYA-BEATLES-DONAVON-REM-SIMON & GARFUNKLE-AKIRA-CCR- + THE WONDER STUFF-STEVEN DOLMATZ- BARE NAKED LADIES-VISITOR 3 MONTY PYTHON-RANMA1/2-SNL-... ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Re: Misunderstood Lyric Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:26:35 -0700 >On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Keith Hyman wrote: > >> >> I know They usually have printed lyrics with Their CDs, but I haven't >> studied them all. Ennyweigh, I mostly listen in the car. So here's my >> misunderstood phrase of late: >> >> In "Twisting," where They sing (apparently) "She's not your satellite," and >> though I know this to be true, for some reason, I hear "She's not your >> samurai!" Heh. Ennywon else? > >Wow...that's not bad!! I'm afraid I never heard it that way, but in >Santa's Beard, I used to think They were singing "lately she's been humming >cheese songs..." But I'm feeling much better now! > > Alex Heheheh. I thought for about seven years that it was Zadeline or Zadelide...Y'know, like the ancient mythological figures??? Then, of courser, I read a complete collection of ancient Greek and Roman myths and I discoivered that there is no Zadeline or Zadelide in any of the myths...boy did I feel stupid. The list set me straight. -Rabid Child Recovering lyric-abuser. ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:49:30 -0800 From: Joanne Damico Subject: hello! Hello! I'm Krista Damico. I have been receiving messages from this list for alittle while now, but this is my first message to the list. I must admit I am just beginning my liking of tmbg. It's not that I didn't like them before, I had just never heard the music. I have hear Whistling in the Dark and Birdhouse in your Soul and really enjoy these selections. What would anyone reccommend for me to buy (which CD) is good to get me into the tmbg spirit? You can reply privately or on the list. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks. Little Damico (a.k.a. Italian Mafia Princess) ------------------------------ From: M3MEEBKM@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 19:41:09 -0500 Subject: straight edge (This is what I understand it to be, and how all my sXe friends, and I live it) Straight edge is where you don't do drugs, don't drink alcoholic beverages, have sex, smoke, or put anything into your body that is in some way going to harm it greatly(or even not so greatly). It doesn't mean you can't have fun. I still go to shows(ska, punk and They shows). I still skank, I still mosh(not a lot, just sometimes when there's a good punk band on). It doesn't make you more violent(not that I've seen at least), it's just another way of life. Erika(cowering in fear of flames) PS-I'm a 17 year old girl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:42:36 -0600 (CST) From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: hello! At 06:49 PM 3/13/96 -0800, you wrote: >Hello! I'm Krista Damico. I have been receiving messages from this list >for alittle while now, but this is my first message to the list. I must >admit I am just beginning my liking of tmbg. It's not that I didn't like >them before, I had just never heard the music. I have hear Whistling in >the Dark and Birdhouse in your Soul and really enjoy these selections. >What would anyone reccommend for me to buy (which CD) is good to get me >into the tmbg spirit? You can reply privately or on the list. I'd >appreciate any input. Thanks. > Little Damico (a.k.a. Italian Mafia Princess) > In my opinion, Flood is a pretty good one to start out with, or maybe John Henry. They both show off a lot of TMBG's talents. Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:31:26 -0500 Subject: Re: Misunderstood Lyric In a message dated 96-03-13 17:33:44 EST, mdukelan@wyoming.com writes: >Zadeline or Zadelide to what song was the writing of this message referring to anyway? ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:42:16 -0500 Subject: The messed up words land In a message Ruprecht76 writed: >to what song was the writing of this message referring to anyway? > "She's not your satelite" in "Twisting" Good song. I like the 60's touch they put on it. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 20:24:52 -0700 (MST) From: Joyce Frost Subject: *twiddle* Anyone wanna talk? I am longing for communication and who is better to communicate with then another TMBG fan... -Joyce "There's nobody here who can pick up or has stuff they need to talk about..." -TMBG "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:03:35 +1100 From: jl10@cs.uow.edu.au (Jeremy Leung) Subject: Like TMBG? Do you like They Might Be Giants. If you do then you'll also like "The Whitlams" . The Whitlams are an Australian band who write songs which are similar to those by tmbg. Unfortunately, the lead singer has died recently but there are a couple of records they've recorded which are excellent. A small sample of their songwriting ingenuity: "Jesus"- a song about Jesus being a female! " I Make Hamburgers"- A song about a guy who picks up girls at hamburger joints. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 02:36:06 -0500 (EST) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: to talk of things Them Well I'll try again. Anybody want to use the handy talk function to call me , I'll be on for a bit. God knows if you're on at 2.40 AM, I wanna speak to you. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 02:40:16 -0800 From: Richard Lamb Subject: Mercury Lounge Show! Wow, alright... this will be very short notice but if anyone checks their mail before they leave, I will be at the show Thurs! at 7 or 8. I'm so excited - so I'm the (otherwise average) guy with red hair(kind of big hair but nothing crazy) probably wearin' some average guy clothes... :) hope to see some others there. Love ya, Brian (usually 'Blamb' - afn37630@afn.org) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-74 *****************************