Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-77 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 77 Sunday, 17 March 1996 Today's Topics: everything you know is wrong Re: hello! Long time since i've last written Everything you know.... RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-76 Phil! top ten lists... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:19:26 -0800 (PST) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: everything you know is wrong My friend just bought the new Weird Al single and we listened to it in the car. (Amish Paradise is FUNNY btw - "I'll have to get my brother to get medieval on your heinie") "Everything You Know is Wrong" seems to be a pretty obvious takeoff on TMBG, although not a specific song. Reasons besides the name: 1. The opening guitar notes (after the little intro stuph) are the same two from "Don't Let's Start" 2. The general structure of the song - harmonies, catchy chorus, etc. seem very Giantlike. 3. The phrases "my evil twin" and "St. Peter in heaven" are used in the same verse. 4. The solos go from very technical accordian to bari sax to guitar. Not many bands use all three. The song is OK, not great, but it seems to be a sort of cool in-joke to TMBG and their fans. Anyone have comments? Jason "I hate dead week, especially when everyone else is off" Weiner Jason Weiner * Stanford University * discord@leland.stanford.edu %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. "Correctly formulated, the Law of Fives is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." --Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 12:56:53 -0500 From: Stuart Parmenter Subject: Re: hello! Personally, I love them all. They are all different, and have there own "personallity." But Flood was the first one i got. I played it non stop for 2 weeks, and finally the tape broke... so i went and bought the CD! hehe.. But then I went and bought the rest except Misc T. So i would recommend ALL of them! At 06:49 PM 3/13/96 -0800, you wrote: >Hello! I'm Krista Damico. I have been receiving messages from this list >for alittle while now, but this is my first message to the list. I must >admit I am just beginning my liking of tmbg. It's not that I didn't like >them before, I had just never heard the music. I have hear Whistling in >the Dark and Birdhouse in your Soul and really enjoy these selections. >What would anyone reccommend for me to buy (which CD) is good to get me >into the tmbg spirit? You can reply privately or on the list. I'd >appreciate any input. Thanks. > Little Damico (a.k.a. Italian Mafia Princess) > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 13:00:27 -0500 From: Stuart Parmenter Subject: Long time since i've last written Whoa... All the "new" faces i have seen in the last um... few months. I havn't written, or read many letters that have come in. So i know i am WAY behind on TMBG stuff. OH well... I can always learn! Welp.. TMBG Rules, and there isn't much more to say besides TMBG rules! hehe oh well.. mabey i will read something, and respond to it! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:50:00 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Everything you know.... I just got the new Weird Al CD, and I agree that the song is a parody of TMBG. Also, I'd have to say that the CD is a vast improvment over his last CD, with the Jarrasic Park song on it. But if you look on his previous CD's, he usually writes his original songs in the style of another group. Two examples: The song that sounds like an Extreme parody (You don't love me anymore), and the song that sounds like an REM parody, Frank's 2000" TV. But I like them all anyway. And if you're looking for a good Weird Al song to listen to, my favorite two are 'Yoda', a parody of Lola, about..... you can guess, and 'One More MInute', on original song that has to be heard to be believed. But I've babbled enough. If I listen closely, I can hear my 15 page term paper (on slavery in the old testament?!!?) calling me. Now, I leave Brendan Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Mar 96 16:59:29 PST From: asturm Subject: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-76 Hey Guys. Apperantly I missed something. This tape that youre talking about. Can I get it too , If I send a blank tape and a SASE to this Phil person. What is his address? Someone please fill me in. I would really like some They rare stuff. Your Buddy, (Rizzo the) RyAn sTurm Can't Wait for March 31!!!! Madison or Bust!!!!! "Drive faster, Must, watch, Lambchop" -Bobut "Aliens in the Family" Support your Local Muppet! fridays at 7:30 (CT) for Muppets Tonight!! this Week, Billy Crystal. ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:54:56 +0000 Subject: Phil! The Mighty Mighty Plaguerat wrote: > ladies and gentleman .... > i think we should take a minute out of our ususal bickering, interpreting, > listening, and questions.. to give up a big ol'' round of applause to > Phil.... who took a lot of time and compiled what has got to be the > definative collection TMBG rarities into what is gonna be one really amazing > tape...and unlike the greedy bastards that seem to populate this planet is > distributing it for justr shipping charges... > > great job! Oooo! Is it possible to get a copy of this? I would be eternally grateful!!! "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:31:27 -0500 Subject: top ten lists... I wanted to let everyone know that I've finished transferring all (expect for one or two that I probably missed) of Tracy's Top Ten Lists into Html and by the time you read this they should be up at my *new* TMBG site web address at http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/ it will be nostalgic for old list members and neato for new list members... I'll appreciate any and all comments on links that don't work and such and any in general about the site... next on the agenda: TMBG articles *I've moved to dragonfire.net (perhaps the best server on the face of the Earth) and my main page address is http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/ (for those of you who might want to update links)* me who should really learn to type faster ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-77 *****************************