Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-78 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 78 Monday, 18 March 1996 Today's Topics: I don't like subjects. we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Weird Al Etc THANK YOU! Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Everything you know... the stumpbox tape... Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Re: everything you know is wrong Simpsons ---> TMBG Re: Simpsons ---> TMBG Re: Simpsons ---> TMBG New York Magazine Son Volt Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 10:09:47 -0500 (EST) From: kosta@flinet.com (Kosta Ikonomidis) Subject: I don't like subjects. Kostis, >What has happened between the two of you? Is it just a >typical case of the "love between brother and sister" syndrome or has the >time come for you to get your own place to live? I think it's just brother & sisterly love. :) If it was that time for me to find me own place to live, i'd be stuck, since i'm only fourteen. >Which address should I use to send e-mail's to your dad? Send it to this one. Kathy has a monopoly over the compuserve one. Just put ",Nick" in the subject and I'll know who to give it to. Ok, well, her go the few lines about the family members: Rania(the youngest daughter), has excelled in gymnastics. She is at the "Team" level, which means she will travel nation-wide to compete with other girls at her level. Kathy(sister), is graduating the year from high-school. She is looking into a christian collage on the East Coast. Maria(oldest), is regaining the few brain cells she lacked before, and is now doing okay. She may move up to New England(USA) fairly soon. Morty(dog), is doing his usual dog things. :) Nick(patera), there were floods earlier in the year and the rear-end of the boat sank. So that,as well as the freezing weather, has put a damper on the fishing. Kathy(mana), is doing mana things. :) As for me, koritsya are my main occupation. :) That's about all for now, Kosta ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 13:58:59 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites > My friend just bought the new Weird Al single and we listened to it in > the car. (Amish Paradise is FUNNY btw - "I'll have to get my brother to > get medieval on your heinie") Well, while we're on the Al subject, I would say that, I too bought "Bad Hair Day". Amish Paradise, Gump (Lump), and Phoney Calls (Waterfalls) are all great parodies, and the alternative Polka and the TMBG-ish song are well worth having. The rest of it is the standard middle-schoolish humor we've learned to tolerate from al, because we're such nice people. > "Everything You Know is Wrong" seems to be a pretty obvious takeoff on > TMBG, although not a specific song. Reasons besides the name: > 3. The phrases "my evil twin" and "St. Peter in heaven" are used in the > same verse. don't forget the mention of "prosthetic lips" The connection cannot be denied. > "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. The number "e" is a truly lovely number --my calculus book > good Weird Al song to listen to, my favorite two are 'Yoda', a parody of > Lola, about..... you can guess, and 'One More MInute', on original song Ya, I have the AL boxed set, so I know my Al, and I think these are both pretty keen. Any police fan would love "King of Suede" also. The hot rocks polka has always been one of my favs. There's just something cool about hearing the Stones with acordian. i palindrome I this: Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. cool eh? ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it. + + (DNA, THHGTTG) + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 14:39:59 -0500 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: Weird Al Etc Hi guys, My account is still messed up, so here I am being Bryan again. My boyfriend has got the Weird Al box set and it's great, I love him. Yoda is one of my favorites b/c I'm a huge SW fan, and I love King of Suede b/c I am a big Sting/Police fan as well. I can't wait to hear Weird A;' whoa spasm or something Weird Al's new tape...it sounds quite funky...Anyone care to send me a copy of that tape and Dark Tower 3 The Wastelands by Stevie K? Anyone care to send me a thousand dollars? Anyone care to delete the crap that is clogging up my email account? Anyone want to pay for a limo to take me to the e-town show? I would visit my top ten lists on the net but I think Netscape doesn't like me. I mean it won't let me get on webcrawler 10 minutes after I was just on it...Coincidence or psychic phenomenon? Anyway, I am still here in Scranton, listening to my TMBG and wishing my account worked....boring boring boring Sunday.... Horton Hears a Tracy ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: THANK YOU! Date: Sun, 17 Mar 96 14:56:26 18000 Hey! This message is probably of interest to a few people, but it's maily directed at Cuper Vargas..... Mr. Cuper there in New York made me copies of the rarities and singles, Live in NYC, etc. I recieved them Friday afternoon and didn' t really get a chance to listen to much, all I heard was the first song on the B-sides tape, James K. Polk. (Which is really cool) Anyways, Saturday morning I was in the Brain Bowl competition, and guess what question number 7 of the second round was about?! Mr. James K Polk, Napolean of the stump! So, I immediately buzzed in and got it right and freaked out because of the awesome prospects of this! My teammates all gave me weirdo looks, but hey, we won! . . . I get to go back to the second round tomorrow (Monday) So, wish me luck! -Tom I guess (I fell into the sea) P.S. THANK YOU Cuper and TMBG for helping my education! -- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 12:03:51 -0800 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites At 01:58 PM 3/17/96 -0500, you wrote: > >> "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. > >The number "e" is a truly lovely number --my calculus book But the number "42" caused life as we know it --The great book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy > >> good Weird Al song to listen to, my favorite two are 'Yoda', a parody of >> Lola, about..... you can guess, and 'One More MInute', on original song > >Ya, I have the AL boxed set, so I know my Al, and I think these are both >pretty keen. Any police fan would love "King of Suede" also. The hot >rocks polka has always been one of my favs. There's just something cool >about hearing the Stones with acordian. My favorite Al song has to be "You Don't Love Me Anymore." I also liked "Headline News" alot. Still I must wonder about Al, considering that he is, in fact, over 40 now. Many singers start doing warmed-over stuff after 40.... What I'm trying to say is that I don't think that he'll ever match the genius of "My Bolonga" or "Hey Rickey" again. Things started goin' down hill for Al after "Spam," although the Nirvana thing was pretty funny. I'll have to listen to the album before I buy it, tho. Just one question: How many songs about food are there on the new album? >i palindrome I this: > >Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I >diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. > >cool eh? Well try this one on for history's sake..... A man, A plan, A canal--Panama. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com My rules of life: Drive a Jeep, Think clearly often, Don't put Spam in your Chicken Gumbo, and most important Listen to They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 15:29:11 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, The Big Blue Dog wrote: > >> "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. > > > >The number "e" is a truly lovely number --my calculus book > > But the number "42" caused life as we know it --The great book, The > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Personally, I think the number 6 is special, and the numbers 7, 17, and 26 are out to get me. > > > >> good Weird Al song to listen to, my favorite two are 'Yoda', a parody of > >> Lola, about..... you can guess, and 'One More MInute', on original song > > > >Ya, I have the AL boxed set, so I know my Al, and I think these are both > >pretty keen. Any police fan would love "King of Suede" also. The hot > >rocks polka has always been one of my favs. There's just something cool > >about hearing the Stones with acordian. > > My favorite Al song has to be "You Don't Love Me Anymore." I also liked > "Headline News" alot. Still I must wonder about Al, considering that he is, > in fact, over 40 now. Many singers start doing warmed-over stuff after 40.... > What I'm trying to say is that I don't think that he'll ever match the > genius of "My Bolonga" or "Hey Rickey" again. Things started goin' down > hill for Al after "Spam," although the Nirvana thing was pretty funny. I'll > have to listen to the album before I buy it, tho. > > Just one question: How many songs about food are there on the new album? As far as I can remember, no food songs. And whoever said that about 'One More Minure' and 'Yoda' is a genius. > > >i palindrome I this: > > > >Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I > >diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. > > > >cool eh? > > Well try this one on for history's sake..... > > A man, A plan, A canal--Panama. I can't top that. Sorry. Brendan PS- THere wasw no true purpose to this letter. I just saw all of the fowards, and I wanted to write again. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 14:45:35 -0600 (CST) > But the number "42" caused life as we know it --The great book, The > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy No.... The number "42" is merely the answer to life, the universe, and everything, but it's still completely meaningless, because the question and the answer cannot be known at the same time, so knowing one or the other is completely pointless, and on the offchance that you suddenly get both at the same time, the universe will cease to exist, with something even stranger in it's place. Therefore, the question "what do you get when you multiply six by nine" _IS_ false, as common sense would dictate, because the question simply doesn't exist. So.... (*whew*) 42 did not cause life as we know it, nor is it the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. It's merely the answer. -CJ, who needs to get out more... PS: Apologies to whomever mistakenly got this twice... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 16:13:35 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites > >> "There is nothing special about the number 5." -- my Calculus Book. > > > >The number "e" is a truly lovely number --my calculus book > > But the number "42" caused life as we know it --The great book, The > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Hey, if you like Doug Adams, and I know a lot of you listies do, check out my page at the address in the sig below. I've got some tmbg stuff too. Plus, you can vote for your favorite non-integer in my guestbook! keen! > My favorite Al song has to be "You Don't Love Me Anymore." I also liked > "Headline News" alot. Still I must wonder about Al, considering that he is, > in fact, over 40 now. Many singers start doing warmed-over stuff after 40.... Yes, Al is no longer at his greatest, he thrives off really smash hits like Beat it and Like a Virgin, but they don't come around quite as often anymore. But since this is a TMBG list, I think I'll drop the Al for a little bit and talk about TMBG.... OK, what is the purpose of #13 on Miscellaneous T, does anyone know???? > Just one question: How many songs about food are there on the new album? none, but there is a TV song (as always) > >Go hang a salami Doc, Note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I > >diet on cod, I'm a lasagna hog. > >cool eh? > Well try this one on for history's sake..... > A man, A plan, A canal--Panama. and, to complete the palindrome war...: satan oscillate my metallic sonatas ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -Support Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's, for President + + We need a man in the White House that can make his own burgers. + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 96 15:57 EST From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Everything you know... hello, all. i just wanted to throw my two cents in here. i haven't actually gotten to listen to this song yet, but i have an idea of what it contains from reading this discussion. in my opinion, this doesn't sound like a *parody* of They, but rather a *tribute* to 'em. similar to the song "Dare to be Stupid" off the Al 'bum of the same name, which was a fond paean to Devo. ...or doesn't this really matter? :) -j.l. "I didn't apologize for when I was 8 and I made my younger brother have to be my persoanl slave" ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 16:54:47 -0500 Subject: the stumpbox tape... well i've gotten alot of mail about his.... i'm guessing by the amount thatr i've gotten that phil's gotten a lot more.. he told me my tape is already in the mail... so i'll help distribute it as well... To anyone interested; mail a blank tape and sase to: Matt Flood 2212 Elm St Stratford, CT 06497 please include your email address so i can let you know when i've sent it out. insane letters and weird envelope art appreciated. ~-=the plaguerat=-~ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 19:32:00 -0500 (EST) From: John Henry Subject: Re: we're all a bunch of crazy mennonites On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, Paul Sebold wrote: > OK, what is the purpose of #13 on Miscellaneous T, does anyone know???? It's a message left from when the Dial-A-Song was set up as an answering machine. It's there for a humorous interlude. Although, I usually skip it. Brendan Sullivan, Palindrome, Navillus Nadnerb bs069875@sjuphil.sju.edu 1-610-660-2464 Well, it isn't the NCAA, but the NIT is just as good. GO HAWKS! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 21:12:45 -0600 (CST) From: jenny Subject: Re: everything you know is wrong > > "Everything You Know is Wrong" seems to be a pretty obvious takeoff on > > TMBG, although not a specific song. Reasons besides the name: > I was going to say something about the "prosthetic lips," but someone else beat me to it. Going away for spring break is annoying sometimes. I've got another semi-interesting little anecdote thingy, though. I was listening to Son Volt, and that new single of theirs came on, Drown. My sister said it reminded her of They Might Be Giants, on the little part in the chorus when he says "you started it." It kinda does, if you squint. Maybe. Ok, maybe not, but I just wanted to write something. -jenny, who returned to 171 messages in her mailbox. cool. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 22:55:03 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Simpsons ---> TMBG I was watching the Simpsons the other day, which by the way is the best show on earth (for those of you who didn't know), and I got a pretty surprizing jolt. It was the Thanksgiving episode, you know, the one where Bart wrecks Lisa's centerpiece by throwing in the fire. Well, the scene is: Lisa is in her room writting a poem about how she feels, and the first line she writes is "I saw the best meals of my generation, destroyed by the madness of my brother Bart..." Even though I've seen this episode many, many times, I had never before made the connection. Granted, it's not a direct reference to TMBG, but it's close enough, wouldn't you say? Did anyone notice this?? I was in a record store a few days ago, siftin' through the Misc. T section ('cause TMBG almost never have a section to Themselves...makes me sick!), and I came across something I just couldn't pass up! It was a record by some band called They Must Be Russians!! It was a twelve inch single, selling for 49 cents, so just for the sake of curiosity, I bought it. Let me warn everybody...it is NOT, I repeat NOT TMBG!!! Man does it suck! They are some British band from the mid eighties, and the songs they sing are absolutely abysmal. If you ever see their records in stores, do not be fooled or entranced by the nifty title of the band...keep away from it at all costs! 49 cents was 49 cents too much! Luckily, the day wasn't a complete waste, 'cause I was able to get my hands on a cheap copy of the XTC tribute album on CD. It's...well, it's got TMBG on it...need I say more?? Alex...a 22 year old male. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 23:50:24 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Simpsons ---> TMBG > I was watching the Simpsons the other day, which by the way is the best > show on earth (for those of you who didn't know), and I got a pretty > surprizing jolt. It was the Thanksgiving episode, you know, the one > where Bart wrecks Lisa's centerpiece by throwing in the fire. Well, the > scene is: Lisa is in her room writting a poem about how she feels, and > the first line she writes is "I saw the best meals of my generation, > destroyed by the madness of my brother Bart..." Even though I've seen > this episode many, many times, I had never before made the connection. > Granted, it's not a direct reference to TMBG, but it's close enough, > wouldn't you say? Did anyone notice this?? well, i didn't see the episode (I love Simpsons, too!), but you must realize that TMBG took the line from an Alan Ginsberg poem, one of his most famous, called "Howl". He was a beatnik poet, i don't know much about him, but i do know the lyric was (taken?) from his poem....i thought it odd that TMBG did not mention this reference anywhwere, or give Ginsberg credit...anyone know anything about this? I know this has been discussed before, i even participated, but...i forget! --Fran AKA The Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 00:00:10 -0500 (EST) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Simpsons ---> TMBG On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > > well, i didn't see the episode (I love Simpsons, too!), but you must realize > that TMBG took the line from an Alan Ginsberg poem, one of his most > famous, called "Howl". He was a beatnik poet, i don't know much about > him, but i do know the lyric was (taken?) from his poem....i thought it > odd that TMBG did not mention this reference anywhwere, or give Ginsberg > credit...anyone know anything about this? I know this has been > discussed before, i even participated, but...i forget! > --Fran AKA The Vonnegut Vassal Yes, I did know that TMBG borrowed that lyric from the Allen Ginsberg poem...I just thought it was nice to see how everthing leads back to TMBG one way or another. They did indeed give credit to Ginsberg for that line in the liner notes of John Henry. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 01:35:10 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: New York Magazine I was just reading my New York Magazine from last week, and happened to notice that in the clubland section there's a really nifty picture of the johns (it's hanging on my door now)... it also said that the giants will be playing through till may at the Mercury Lounge... but I thought they were only going to be there till April... the show last thursday was great, and I can't wait until the 28th so I can go to another Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Son Volt Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 01:41:41 -0500 (EST) > > > > "Everything You Know is Wrong" seems to be a pretty obvious takeoff on > > > TMBG, although not a specific song. Reasons besides the name: > > > I was going to say something about the "prosthetic lips," but someone > else beat me to it. Going away for spring break is annoying sometimes. > > I've got another semi-interesting little anecdote thingy, though. I was > listening to Son Volt, and that new single of theirs came on, Drown. My > sister said it reminded her of They Might Be Giants, on the little part > in the chorus when he says "you started it." It kinda does, if you > squint. Maybe. Ok, maybe not, but I just wanted to write something. This is uncanny. My friend heard the Son Volt song and thought it sounded like TMBG when it says 'you started it' too. I heard that song and it does sound a little like Linnell but now it is confirmed, we are not going crazy! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-78 *****************************